Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

12 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Does anyone know what happens Monday? The SCT is now over. Will they go back to regular contestants/games (with the "recycled" clues)? Or will that "Season 37 & 38 Champions Wild Card Tournament" start?

Champions Wildcard starts on Monday (don't know the details, though; just going by the TV listings).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OMG!  I had absolutely no idea for FJ tonight, so on a whim, I just said, "What the hell.  Aaron Burr, sir."  I was gobsmacked to be correct!  Instagets and wild-ass guesses got me four correct FJs this week.

The only TS I got were calcium oxide, glucose, and keel.  However, I take exception to one of the cattle questions -- those in that picture were Highland Cattle (aka Heilan' coos), not Angus.

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1
6 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

The only TS I got were calcium oxide, glucose, and keel.  However, I take exception to one of the cattle questions -- those in that picture were Highland Cattle (aka Heilan' coos), not Angus.

I thought so! Still got it right based on the actual clue (I know there are Black Angus; not sure if I knew there were red ones, but I didn't think they were that cute).

Highland Coos make the cutest cupcakes!

image.png.5fff7bd107dcff148e9bc5f539a1f50c.png

• Like 4
  • Love 7
On 9/29/2023 at 5:06 PM, Browncoat said:

I can't remember the actual picture used, but here are a couple more to take you into the weekend:

Highland calves - long haired fuzzy cuties:

image.png.c203a81a033c502f5e855bab98f36dc0.png

Angus calf = short-haired smooth cuties:

image.png.624d51cdded659bf3bedb87c8f61977f.png

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 3
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Highland Coos make the cutest cupcakes!

image.png.5fff7bd107dcff148e9bc5f539a1f50c.png

Please bring those to FJ Contest, because I want some!

I, not knowing what Angus cattle look like, shouted out the right answer. My husband, who does know what Angus cattle look like, told me I was wrong. I was pleased to have his ruling overturned. I am not going to tell him that he was also (kind of) right.

For me, FJ was one of those where you can figure out the answer based on the hints in the clue and… still get it wrong. I said Adams. Guess I should have gone to school in New Jersey.

• Like 5
  • LOL 3

Decent game today. In the J round I got 4 in "Geography 'B'", "Native Americans" and "A Category About Nothing". One TS - freestyle wrestling.

In DJ I ran "Proverb vs. Proverb" and got 4 in "Signs & Symbols". TSs were Zulu, Will Geer, space and eye.

Got half of FJ. I mistakenly thought the presidents were 100 years apart so I said Andrew Johnson and Lyndon Johnson. Oops!

• Like 4

I didn't get FJ, but won't embarrass myself further by saying my answer because I don't know where my mind was.

I got het missed cluees of Hamlet, wrestling, ghost dance, flea, Kevin Costner, Will Geer, space, Zulu and eye.

I got the entire categories of Geography B, fighters, proverbs and Wyatt Earp right.  If I were told ahead of time I was going to run 4 categories, I might have guessed proverbs, but not those others.  Especially fighters. Or Wyatt Earp.

• Like 3

October 2:

63% / 60% / 61%

Not a great start to the week. I'll blame the fact that I got home late, turned the TV on in the middle of Emily's interview bit, and decided to mute until DJ started and watch the first round after on youtube. Found two videos and they were both crap so I was further annoyed (seriously, if you're going to go to the trouble of putting them up, why do you make them unwatchable? They were both crap in the same way, too).

In J! I missed one each in Geography B and Are You Shakespearienced?, two in Fighters, A Bug's Life, and A Category About Nothing, and three in Native Americans. In DJ I ran Proverbs vs. Proverbs (that was a fun category), missed one in Egyptian Mythology, two in They Played Wyatt Earp, Signs & Symbols and Hodge Podge, and completely failed South Africa.

Did not get FJ. I did say Johnson but I was thinking Lyndon B, subtracted 80 from 1963 and then had nothing. (Just looked it up; Chester A. Arthur was president in 1883 and also succeeded an assassinated president (Garfield), but took office in September 1881, so I would assume he wouldn't have waited a year and a half to declare a day of mourning. Also, LBJ took office in November, so an April declaration wouldn't make sense there, either.)

TSes: (J had 5; DJ had 7 + both DDs) I got Hamlet, flea, Kevin Costner, space, and eye.

I love that Ken did the human pyramid with Emily and her brother and husband. (Since I missed the story when I first turned on the TV, I had no idea what was going on! But the crap video at least didn't cut the sound on that part so I heard it afterward.)

• Like 8

I didn't get FJ, either -- I said, "The president after Lincoln, and another one."  Clearly I need to brush up on the order of the presidents!

I did get the TS of "As You Like It", "Hamlet", Ghost Dance, flea, Costner, Will Geer, and eye.

Ken's a good sport!  It's great he did the pyramid!

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

I did run NOTHING in J and PROVERBS in DJ. So I'm slowly improving. 

I got TSs of wrestling and flea, and the DD of Truth & Reconciliation, all of these being instagets.
Like @Clanstarling mentioned upthread: 
IEIYKI: It’s Easy If You Know It

10 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I didn't get FJ, either -- I said, "The president after

My thinking for FJ was similar, but I needed either a couple of more hours sleep last night or another minute of think music to get there.
I got as far as: Lincoln and FDR. No. Wait. Who came after they died?

ETA after reading the various Johnson and Johnson guesses: 
I did use up Think Music Time calculating which decade was 80 years after the 1860s.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4
42 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I might have guessed proverbs, but not those others.  Especially fighters.

I got Ronda Rousey based on the fact that she's literally the only female MMA fighter I can name; I was not at all sure if that was actually a picture of her.

• Like 6

Oh Emily. Some of those guesses made me laugh. The nose, really?

For FJ I said “Andrew Johnson and (doing the math) who was President in 1945? That was still FDR right? OK, Johnson and FDR.”

(not realizing that FDR died in April 1945. So close!)

• Like 4
9 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Found two videos and they were both crap so I was further annoyed (seriously, if you're going to go to the trouble of putting them up, why do you make them unwatchable? They were both crap in the same way, too).

Also, LBJ took office in November, so an April declaration wouldn't make sense there, either.)

I love that Ken did the human pyramid with Emily and her brother and husband. (Since I missed the story when I first turned on the TV, I had no idea what was going on! But the crap video at least didn't cut the sound on that part so I heard it afterward.)

The YouTube videos are a mixed bag. Some days they're fine--maybe a weird angle during FJ--and other days they're, as you say, crap. I played one last week that had around 10 minutes of chickens in a yard!

I also said Andrew Johnson and LBJ for FJ, but I thought the national day of mourning was for Martin Luther King (who was slain in April) and not JFK. Of course, I was off by about 20 years, but I became fixated on assassinations and not deaths from natural causes.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I got Ronda Rousey based on the fact that she's literally the only female MMA fighter I can name; I was not at all sure if that was actually a picture of her.

Same.

• Like 1

I started by thinking of Lyndon Johnson, but then I was reminded that Kennedy didn’t die in April. Then I was led astray by someone who pointed out that it could be any type of national mourning, like for war dead. So we tried to think of battles/ attacks that could have happened 80 years apart, and by the time I abandoned that and circled back to presidents, time was up.

Moral of that story: Keep your FJ thought process to yourself.

The pyramid was fun. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Not a particularly impressive game for me or the contestants.

My only ts's were Hamlet and wrestling.

The contestants just didn't seem to understand the FJ clue, giving the people they thought were honoured instead of the presidents who honoured them.

I didn't get FJ but at least I knew what they were going for.  I came up with LBJ and Teddy Roosevelt, even though I knew the math was wrong.  I was thinking of assassinations rather than natural deaths like FDR's. And I totally forgot about the April part.

Edited by Trey
  • Like 3

I'll watch, because it's Jeopardy and it takes a lot to make me not watch, but I really hate the way the Tournament of Champions keeps getting further debased by all these wildcard-type things working to include people who did not win enough games to earn their spots.  No way should anyone who didn't win at least 4 games ever be included in the TOC.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
17 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I've seen her on 9-1-1 (I think) but didn't recognize her. Didn't get the question either.

2 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Moral of that story: Keep your FJ thought process to yourself.

Aw, but the processes are so fun to read - and relate to!

1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

I was so hoping the answer to FJ would be Johnson & Johnson. Alas . . .

I "calculate" by adding a hundred, then subtracting 20 (for some reason that's easier for me). This time it took me to Kennedy, I subtracted to get to FDR/Truman, and then the lure of "Johnson and Johnson" took over, my brain shut down and that's what I said. D'OH!

April didn't even factor in. I knew it for Lincoln, had no idea for FDR, and clearly didn't think about it for Kennedy. Sigh..

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 2

I'm about to make you all feel better about your FJ responses, because boy, was I ever off!

My brain never even went to presidents who died in office. For National Days of Mourning, I thought of Pearl Harbor and 9/11. I immediately wrote down FDR and G.W. Bush. By the time I realized there were only 60 years between 1941 and 2001, not 80, the FJ theme had already stopped playing. 🤦‍♀️

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1

Note to Chicago J! viewers: There will be MLB playoff games Tues, Wed and Thur in the afternoon, pre-empting J! Those episodes are scheduled to air at around 3am each day (technically, the next day, but you know what I mean).

2 minutes ago, Phebemarie said:

Good thing I’m not a Jeopardy judge.  I wouldn’t have allowed “Too many cooks spoil the stew” as an answer.  

Wikipedia lists both "soup" and "stew" as alternative forms of the phrase, FWIW.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4

My first thought was Isaac newton, but I knew he was 1600s. However, for some reason, my brain wouldn't leave England so I said thomas More.

I got the missed clue of bonobo.  I got the entire Congo category right and the entire 4, 4 category wrong.

• Like 4

October 3:

70% / 43% / 57%

Not terrible first round…I ran Name the Classic Song and Food for Thought, missed one in Hey, Lad-"E", two in 2 Vowels, One Consonant, and three in This is My Country and Southern California Attractions.

DJ was downhill…missed two in 20th Century Fox History and Weave Got Sewing Clues, three in The Congo River, Men of Michigan, and 4,4, and four in Literary Biography (don't tell my college's English department…).

Got FJ, at least.

TSes: (J had 1; DJ had 10!) I got appliqué, chevron, bonobo, and life hack.

Hey, I remember Lawrence the Stay-At-Home Uncle!

• Like 4

I got FJ, but it was somewhat of a guess.  I was a little surprised to see that I was correct.

I also got the TS of appliqué, Penelope, bonobo, and life hack.

Lawrence's suit combination annoyed me.  Blue suit, beige vest, orange tie, green pocket square, white boutonniere -- too much.  Something in that combo needed to match!  Replace the beige vest with something a little more colorful (a plaid, perhaps?) that would connect the tie with the suit, and perhaps match the pocket square with the tie...

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Lawrence's suit combination annoyed me.  Blue suit, beige vest, orange tie, green pocket square, white boutonniere -- too much.  Something in that combo needed to match!  Replace the beige vest with something a little more colorful (a plaid, perhaps?) that would connect the tie with the suit, and perhaps match the pocket square with the tie...

I wonder what kind of nursing he wants to do...something that lets him wear the fun scrubs, I bet...

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
4 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I wonder what kind of nursing he wants to do...something that lets him wear the fun scrubs, I bet...

Haha I don’t hate his style, but I was kind of wondering why someone in NC would go to the opposite coast for nursing school. But maybe that would make sense if he was wanting to relocate there. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Nursing student and stay-at-home uncle Lawrence Long was the first of these Throw Back Players that I recalled enough to almost root for him. 😉
He didn't disappoint. 
Too bad he didn't go all in again on that second DD, but that was the right call at that point.

I had too many things on my mind and so couldn't come up with responses that I knew in J and DJ.

But then I instagot FJ. 
(Leonardo Da Vinci was my role model from childhood into young adulthood.) 

• Like 8
6 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I'm about to make you all feel better about your FJ responses, because boy, was I ever off!

My brain never even went to presidents who died in office. For National Days of Mourning, I thought of Pearl Harbor and 9/11. I immediately wrote down FDR and G.W. Bush. By the time I realized there were only 60 years between 1941 and 2001, not 80, the FJ theme had already stopped playing. 🤦‍♀️

The logic doesn't seem terrible, except for the April part. IMO it was a better guess than Lincoln - I wonder if the contestants who guessed him misread the clue?

I blanked on who succeeded Lincoln, but knew that was one of the answers. Hadn't the foggiest idea for the second one - I couldn't do the math fast enough, and I too was thinking of presidential assassinations.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, secnarf said:

The logic doesn't seem terrible, except for the April part. IMO it was a better guess than Lincoln - I wonder if the contestants who guessed him misread the clue?

There was an April part? 😄 I have GOT to pay better attention to all the moving parts of the FJ clues! It's definitely within my base of knowledge that Lincoln was assassinated in April AND that FDR died in April. I just didn't zero in on that. Getting older sucks. Forty year old me would have had that in a flash. 😒

• Like 3
  • Hugs 3
14 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Uggh, “the other one” curse. That guy, in the Middle Ages, Michelangelo, right?

I said Michelangelo but meant Da Vinci. Honest.

I knew the TS of dead heat thanks to being a voracious reader of Dick Francis when I was young.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

There was an April part? 😄 I have GOT to pay better attention to all the moving parts of the FJ clues! It's definitely within my base of knowledge that Lincoln was assassinated in April AND that FDR died in April. I just didn't zero in on that. Getting older sucks. Forty year old me would have had that in a flash. 😒

I mean, I did assume you knew 9/11 wasn't in April ;)

There was a lot with this clue - the month, that it was the successor that they were looking for, and then 80 years apart which requires some math. Helpful if you have lots of time to parse it, but in a time crunch it is easy to miss things.

• Like 5
  • Fire 1
9 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I really hate the way the Tournament of Champions keeps getting further debased by all these wildcard-type things working to include people who did not win enough games to earn their spots. 

I know they just did this to fill time during the writer’s strike because so many “real” champions were refusing to participate, but… yeah. I’m fine with a second chance tournament as its own self-contained thing. I’m fine with any tournament they want to come up with. But getting to the ToC is a rare and admirable accomplishment. This should be the best of the best, not the best of the best and ok why not, some other folks too. It’s like Jeopardy has turned into Oprah: “You get a ToC slot! You get a ToC slot! Everyone gets a ToC slot!” 

Today’s FJ was totally not a last minute guess. I knew it all along. Truly. I think I’ve earned a place in the ToC?

• Like 6
  • Applause 5
8 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I said Michelangelo but meant Da Vinci. Honest.

I knew the TS of dead heat thanks to being a voracious reader of Dick Francis when I was young.

When the clue said “tie,” I was still fixated on Lawrence’s tie that I misunderstood the clue.  I tried my best to make “ascot” work.

• Fire 1
  • LOL 6
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

When the clue said “tie,” I was still fixated on Lawrence’s tie that I misunderstood the clue.  I tried my best to make “ascot” work.

I did the same!

17 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I'll watch, because it's Jeopardy and it takes a lot to make me not watch, but I really hate the way the Tournament of Champions keeps getting further debased by all these wildcard-type things working to include people who did not win enough games to earn their spots.  No way should anyone who didn't win at least 4 games ever be included in the TOC.

7 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I know they just did this to fill time during the writer’s strike because so many “real” champions were refusing to participate, but… yeah. I’m fine with a second chance tournament as its own self-contained thing. I’m fine with any tournament they want to come up with. But getting to the ToC is a rare and admirable accomplishment. This should be the best of the best, not the best of the best and ok why not, some other folks too.

7 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

.…It’s like Jeopardy has turned into Oprah: “You get a ToC slot! You get a ToC slot! Everyone gets a ToC slot!” 

Today’s FJ was totally not a last minute guess. I knew it all along. Truly. I think I’ve earned a place in the ToC?

🤣😂😁
Okay kids. 
[Beware of shapeshifter entering grandmotherly/grandpa get-off-my-lawn mode]
Weren’t some of all y’all just whining a year ago about deserving to get second chances on the show?
No?
’Cause it sure as heck wasn’t me.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I did too!  When Ken gave the answer of dead heat I smacked my head, but not too hard - don't want to damage any brain cells.

Only two ts's again, applique and chevron.

FJ was an instaget and I was pretty sure it was right. But I did think too of Gray of Gray's Anatomy but thought that he was much later, which he was.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

J! Archive game for me. I like baseball - even though my Cubs tanked and missed the playoffs - but not when it interferes with Jeopardy.

Like ams1001 it was a tale of 2 halves for me. Had a great J round, but a truly horrible DJ.

In the J round I ran "Hey, Lad-"E" and "Southern California Attractions", and got 4 in "This Is My Country", "Food for Thought" and "2 Vowels, One Consonant". And got the only TS - South Africa.

Then totally tanked in DJ. I did get 4 in "20th Century Fox History", but the best I could do in the other categories was 2 right. Ugh! Did get 2 TS - applique and dead heat, not that impressive since there were 10 TSs.

But I did get FJ - da Vinci's Vetruvian man popped into my head, and though I wasn't sure it was the right response, I thought the timeframe was right so I stuck with da Vinci.

• Like 4
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also got the TS of appliqué, Penelope, bonobo, and life hack.

I wasn't sure bonobo was correct but it was my answer.  Primarily because I love saying the word "bonobo"* so it's my answer whenever I don't know what kind of monkey is the right one.

* There's an episode of the original, vastly superior Belgian version of Professor T which features a scene where the professor repeats bonobo multiple times in succession - it's freaking hilarious, especially with his accent.

FJ was an instaget for me given the year.  Mid-Renaissance guy interested in many different subjects?  It's always Leonardo.

15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Nursing student and stay-at-home uncle Lawrence Long was the first of these Throw Back Players that I recalled enough to almost root for him. 😉
He didn't disappoint. 
Too bad he didn't go all in again on that second DD, but that was the right call at that point.

He's the first one I've remembered as well.  I liked him during his original run so I was rooting for him.  At least he won three games, which isn't enough really but better than one.

14 hours ago, secnarf said:

The logic doesn't seem terrible, except for the April part.

I completely missed the April part but that wouldn't have helped me anyway.

15 hours ago, secnarf said:

I wonder if the contestants who guessed him misread the clue?

I wasn't thinking about dead Presidents.  I guessed Lincoln, thinking Gettysburg Address, time of great mourning.

14 hours ago, Grizzly said:

That's why I knew it as well.  His books are still among my favorite comfort re-reads.

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Weren’t some of all y’all just whining a year ago about deserving to get second chances on the show?
No?

Well . . . . . 😳, but we certainly deserve it as much as any of the people in the Second Chance Tournaments did.  The only one of those contestants who deserved a second shot was the woman last year who should've been given credit for her complete answer of Harriet Tubman because she did, indeed, finish the "n".

• Like 6
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Haha I don’t hate his style, but I was kind of wondering why someone in NC would go to the opposite coast for nursing school. But maybe that would make sense if he was wanting to relocate there. 

I wouldn't shrug if someone went to a university on the other side of the country, and for me nursing schools are the same thing. I've looking into nursing schools for a friend, and they are incredibly hard and just like other medical programs there are bound to be those that excel or specialize.

16 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

He didn't disappoint.

Me too. I enjoy Lawrence.

15 hours ago, Grizzly said:

The mister got it first, but I might have gotten it because of all the Francis books I read. It may be time to reread, once I get through my Kindle Queue. The library is bound to have his works. Well, maybe...

• Like 6
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Beware of shapeshifter entering grandmotherly/grandpa get-off-my-lawn mode]
No?

A second chance on the show is one thing, a second chance on the show funneled straight into the ToC is another. 

If they wanted to take the winners of a Second Chance Event (let’s not call it a tournament) and plop them back into the regular contestant pool to give them another chance to thrive, fine.

Or if they want to have an entire season comprised of of second-chance contestants, and advance the players who win 5+ games to a ToC, fine.

As is, it just feels like the ToC slots are a bridge too far. Convince me I’m wrong as I back slowly off your lawn. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

The mister got it first, but I might have gotten it because of all the Francis books I read. It may be time to reread, once I get through my Kindle Queue. The library is bound to have his works. Well, maybe...

I've got most of his books if you need to borrow any. They escaped the purge I did last spring.

• Fire 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 1

I said Nobel, but Pulitzer never entered my mind.  I don't think I realized htat was a person's name.  I was waffling with Carnegie.

I got the missed clues of Priam and tchaikovsky.

I got the entire categories of neutral and Loony tunes right.  

I had a really great DJ.  I mean, for me.  I'm sure others had better.

• Like 4