Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

November 6:

70% / 73% / 70%

OK J! round...Ran It's Gonna Blow! and High-Scoring Scrabble Words, missed one in Kiss My Grits!, two in Call Out the Bob Squad and Haiku About the Poet, and four in Message in a Battle.

Actually did better in DJ! Ran To the Exoplanets! and What a Body, missed one in A "La" Carte and At the Ancient Roman Cineplex (and the one I missed was only because I didn't know the movie they were going for; pretty impressive since I usually suck at Roman numerals), and three in Potpourri and Odd 4-Letter Words.

Did not get FJ. I did think of The Grapes of Wrath but I couldn't connect it to a song. But now I'm sure I will be singing it for the rest of the night. But all in all, not a bad start to the week.

TSes: (J had 5 + the DD; DJ had 6 + 1DD) I got oxidized, zoologic, Me and Bobby McGee, Kepler, arches, and Pegasus (DD).

Felt bad for Brian for missing FJ because of a missing letter, but at least the outcome would have been the same (assuming my math is not egregiously wrong).

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Instaget FJ in that I knew the lyric (and thus the book title), but I had to think for a second to remember the song title.  But of course, now all I can think about now is Madeline Kahn singing that in "Young Frankenstein."

I also got the TS of Bonnie Prince Charlie, oxidized, Me & Bobby McGee, arches, and tallit.

Ken was funny with the toilet paper joke.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Felt bad for Brian for missing FJ because of a missing letter, but at least the outcome would have been the same (assuming my math is not egregiously wrong).

Definitely wound up making no difference. Jilana had more than double his score and was correct. 

I really thought when Ken announced the scoring change after the first commercial break that they were going to give Brian QUACKERY since E, R, and Y have the same values as I, S, and H (1, 1, and 4) and I felt like you could make both definitions work. I didn't know enough about the gravy to see the other correction coming.

It was exciting to see Jilana come back and end up with a slight lead. I like Dave a lot as well but Jilana earned her win.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I confidently and smug answered FJ! with “This Land is Your Land”.  I knew the Steinbeck novel but the correct answer never occurred to me!

I also thought of "This Land Is Your Land" and then "America the Beautiful", but wasn't sure of either choice. Once the correct response was revealed it made complete sense. I did think of "The Grapes of Wrath" but didn't put it together with "The Battle Hymn of the Republic".

Today was probably the worst game I've ever had. No good categories and just one TS - Me and Bobby McGee. Just going to forget today's game ever happened.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3
1 hour ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I really thought when Ken announced the scoring change after the first commercial break that they were going to give Brian QUACKERY since E, R, and Y have the same values as I, S, and H (1, 1, and 4) and I felt like you could make both definitions work. I didn't know enough about the gravy to see the other correction coming.

It's because the clue asked for an adjective; quackery is a noun.

I know nothing of the gravy. Except it sounds gross and I will not be bringing any to the Final Jeopardy Contest virtual dinner party.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • LOL 2

At least I wasn’t alone in my off-base thinking. I assumed the novel was Grapes of Wrath, and then considered Americana songs like “This Land is Your Land” and “America the Beautiful”. I completely forgot that the title is a lyric in “Battle Hymn of the Repubic”. (I’m with you, Brian. Although that was a rather unfortunate misspelling. Expect some snickers from the prepubescent nephews.)

I also cried foul (or fowl) at quackery, because that was my answer. But I assume it wasn’t accepted because the clue asked for something “similar to” a fake doctor, and quackery isn’t similar, it actually equates to fake doctoring. (ETA: And oh yeah, I guess the adjective thing.)

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Like 5

Not so great a game for me today.  My only missed answers were Bonnie Prince Charlie and Pegasus.

Did not get FJ. Not familiar with the lyrics of Battle Hymn of the Republic so it was just a guessing game for me.  I thought it might be The Star Spangled Banner but it wasn't.

I've heard about the toilet paper holder thing before from other contestants.  I don't see anything gross about it.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Trey said:

Not familiar with the lyrics of Battle Hymn of the Republic

I don't have this👆 excuse. 
And I can't blame any mental state, because I did instaget Bobby McGee, Grok, Pegasus, and Tallit.
No, the issue is that I missed how Ken stressed the importance of it being 2 categories in 1: "Music AND Literature."
So I was trying to come up with the title of the novel while simultaneously humming tunes, at which point I knew I couldn't do it without muting the Think Music, and then finding the remote distracted me from coming up with the novel title when it was on the tip of my tongue, and which was crucial.
So I went with "This Land Is Your Land" rather than nothing.

Well, I will try to at least remember next time there's a FJ category about MUSIC to mute the 🤬 Think Music.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 1

Much better game today after yesterday's disaster. DJ was so so, but I had a really good J round.

In the J round I ran "Bands in Other Words" and got 4 in "Do You Know the Way to San Jose?", "Death", "Taxes" and "Latin Phrases" (shocker!). Only one good category in DJ - "Starts With...". No TSs/missed DDs, but since there were only 3 missed clues all game I don't feel all that bad.

FJ - Africa/Italian Occupation/Ethiopia/Addis Ababa.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

November 7:

77% / 80% / 77%

Pretty good game today! In the first round I missed two in Death and one each in everything else. Did even better in DJ - ran Albert Camus, You're Getting Very Sleepy, and Starts With…, missed one in Dude-er-onomy, two in Government & Politics, and three Mythological Paintings.

But no FJ again. Not having a good week there so far.

TSes: (J had 1; DJ had 1 + 1DD) I only got Jean-Paul Sartre (DD).

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I watched the game on you know where but it got pulled right before FJ!   Who won the game?  

It was the first of a 2 day total point affair, but they ended with

Aaron $10,000
Jilana  $3,000
Emily $30,400

Jilana and I went with the country rather than the city, with much worse results for her than for me.

Recap is available on thejeopardyfan.com

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 4

A few of these games have held my interest. So, that's something. However, I know I am late to the party on this but my heart broke a little when NO ONE guessed Letterman for "Will it Float?" as a recurring bit. I LOVED that bit and still hum the over the top theme song they had. Hell, I'd watch a Supercut of Will It Float if they made one....but I digress...

• Like 4
  • Love 3
48 minutes ago, laredhead said:

Aaron is probably not a good poker player.  It looked like he wasn't happy with his performance today from his several head shakes, and somber expressions at times

I don't know about the poker face, but he seemed to have a sour look on his face most of the game.

I'm rooting for Emily - she seems to be having fun.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, stonehaven said:

A few of these games have held my interest. So, that's something. However, I know I am late to the party on this but my heart broke a little when NO ONE guessed Letterman for "Will it Float?" as a recurring bit. I LOVED that bit and still hum the over the top theme song they had. Hell, I'd watch a Supercut of Will It Float if they made one....but I digress...

I miss Dave.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, chicagofan said:

I don't know about the poker face, but he seemed to have a sour look on his face most of the game.

I thought so too.  He was so OTT on his last game and so subdued last night that I figured he was told to tone it down some.

Anyhow, I got no ts's, just the missed DD of Sartre but it was otherwise an okay game for me.

For FJ I said Ethiopia right away then noticed they wanted the capital.  Luckily it is one of the few African capitals I do know so I switched to Addis Ababa.

• Like 4
On 11/6/2023 at 4:31 PM, PaulaO said:

I confidently and smug answered FJ! with “This Land is Your Land”.  I knew the Steinbeck novel but the correct answer never occurred to me!

I smacked my head - I went with "This Land is Your Land" because of Steinbeck's perspectives (particularly in The Grapes of Wrath) - but I did not once connect GoW with the lyrics in the Battle Hymn of the Republic. Sheesh.

16 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said tripoli.  At least it is an African capital.

I said Porto Novo (Benin), because it sounded like it could have had Italian origins (Portoguese, as it turns out - if my quick read of Wikipedia didn't miss something)

14 hours ago, stonehaven said:

My husband did!

13 hours ago, chicagofan said:

I noticed that - but then he gave Jilana a hug after the game when she was down and won back my heart. (I like them all and don't care who wins - though loving underdogs, I'd like to see Jilana dominate and somehow win.)

• Like 5
15 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Not getting Sartre in the DD seemed to rattle Jilana.  She didn't seem the same after that.

Jilana missed out on the Orpheus clue right after but I thought she played very well after that -- I checked the J! archive and with 14 clues left she got 7 correct, none wrong, and picked up 8,800. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

Today's game almost the same as yesterday's - really good J round, so so DJ round.

In the J round I ran "The "A" Team" and got 4 in "I Pity the Food!", "On the Old Map" and "L____O", and got 4 in "Dear Abbey" in DJ. Only 1 TS - exact.

No clue on FJ - at least I wasn't the only one.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Argh, I said Cook, but I changed my answer to Magellan. When will I learn?

I got the missed clues of Atilla the Hun, cordial and earth.

I got the entire categories of food, metallica and brown right.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

Great game. Jilana fought hard and did what she had to do, but Emily played well and had her day 1 cushion in place. I like them both and was glad that there was suspense going into FJ. I would have been delighted if Jilana had got FJ correct but I am OK with the result.

I think I have come to terms with the concept of running past champs through this Wildcard in order to ultimately fill up the TOC, but I don't feel like it needs to be an annual event. Maybe Mr Jeopardy-should-be-like-a-sport should take the Olympics or the FIFA World Cup as his model and do the TOC only every 4 years. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
8 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Not getting Sartre in the DD seemed to rattle Jilana.  She didn't seem the same after that.

I was surprised she didn't know it since she'd been doing so well on Camus (made me think of Alex with her nice French!).  And it didn't look like a "Doh, I knew that" moment, either, which is odd.

Like @SomeTameGazellethough, I thought she came back just fine.

• Like 5

I’ve never read Dune (got really bored during the movie, though) so I had no idea the planet had another name.

I thought the FJ reference had to do with the moon landing, but that didn’t help me with the clue. Even if I had recognized it as a Star Trek reference, I don’t think it would have helped, because I had no idea that Captain Kirk was named after Cook, or anyone else.  0/3 for me so far this week. I’m looking into donut futures.

• Like 5
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1

The Dune question confused me because I thought it was asking for the name of a real planet that Dune was based on. Not the real name of the planet in the book. 🤦‍♀️

For FJ I thought they meant the quote inspired Neil Armstrong but that didn’t help get the answer. I also said Magellan just to say something but I had no idea. Even had I connected the quote to Star Trek there is no way I’d have made the leap to Captain Cook.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

The Dune question confused me because I thought it was asking for the name of a real planet that Dune was based on. Not the real name of the planet in the book. 🤦‍♀️

For FJ I thought they meant the quote inspired Neil Armstrong but that didn’t help get the answer. I also said Magellan just to say something but I had no idea. Even had I connected the quote to Star Trek there is no way I’d have made the leap to Captain Cook.

I’m thinking that we should make a rule for FJ questions about explorers: “It’s never Magellan.” A few weeks ago there was that trick question about Columbus thinking he was in India, and then last night’s. Magellan seemed plausible both times, and was the wrong answer both times.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
8 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Even if I had recognized it as a Star Trek reference, I don’t think it would have helped, because I had no idea that Captain Kirk was named after Cook, or anyone else.

I did figure it was a Star Trek reference, but that's all I had..

I also thought of Magellan but I knew he was too early.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, illdoc said:

I knew the phrase they referenced, but couldn't make the Kirk <--> Cook leap.

I didn't know there was a connection, so I said Magellan instead, but figured (correctly) that I was wrong. Now that I know the connection, I might just remember it.

16 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

I just about wept over the guy missing the Dune reference. It’s such a great book, I hope it isn’t lost to younger generations. Arrakis! 

Maybe if it had been a movie question, they might have gotten it. I do have to read it again. I tried watching the new movie, and didn't get into it. Too long since I read the book maybe. I was one of the few people who liked the original movie. I think we didn't get to double digits! 🤣

15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Wasn’t home to keep score so I don’t know how I did but I am 0 for 3 on final J so far this week…😕

Glad (and sad) I have some company.

12 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

0/3 for me so far this week. I’m looking into donut futures.

I'm thinking cookies for my contributions. Sugar always helps. 🙂

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I forget the exact date, but regular play comes back in December.

These episodes filmed while the writers were picketing (so, using recycled clues) run out 12/18.  Per a TVLine article posted in the Media thread last month when the writers went back to work:

Then, beginning Tuesday, Dec. 19 (or the week of Jan. 1, if the show chooses to fill 2023’s remaining days with reruns), the Season 39 “postseason” — which, pre-strike, was intended to kick off Season 40 — will begin. At that point, viewers will see new WGA-written clues, essentially returning the show to normal. (Reminder: The postseason is comprised of Season 39 Second Chance, Season 39 Champions Wildcard and the Tournament of Champions.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2
  • Useful 6
20 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Wasn’t home to keep score so I don’t know how I did but I am 0 for 3 on final J so far this week…😕

I just checked thejeopardyfan and I will be 0 for 4 after today's show. I'm not hoping for much tomorrow,. Bagels & Temp-Tee cream cheese?

• Hugs 2

Very even game today - got the same number of clues right in each round. O.k., but not great.

In the J round I ran "Famous Former Teachers" and got 4 in "Potpourri" and "Operation". TSs were Strait of Gibralter, Southern Christian Leadership Conference (so sad this was a TS) and Florida.

In DJ I got 4 in "Changing White House Towel Monograms", "Eat" and "Love" and the missed DD of GHWB.

Got FJ today. "Regional writer" made me think "Southern", and after a bit I came up with Faulkner. Yay!

Breathe, Jen. Breathe.

• Like 3

November 9:

70% / 40% / 54%

Okay first round…ran Famous Former Teachers and A Little Legalese, missed three in Classical Music and two each in the rest.

Abysmal second round...might be my worst round ever. Ran Pray, missed two in Eat and "Love", four in Changing White House Towel Monograms, and failed Math Symbols and Screenplays completely. I don't know the last time I failed two whole categories in a round! 

And now I'm 0 for 4 on FJ.

TSes:  (J had 4; DJ had 3 + 1DD) I got Strait of Gibraltar, chattels, and Dürer.

Kinda sorry I kept score tonight…

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2