Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I said the Sea of Azov for FJ. But I was visualizing the Sea of Marmara, while calling it the wrong name. So I think that counts.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 5

Congrats to my fellow 'Burgher, Victoria!  We haven't met but we do have at least one mutual friend (Hi, Devin, if you're here!)

And I knew exactly what sea they wanted, and darned if I didn't blank on the name of it!  And I probably would have said "Sea of Azov?" too if I'd had another hour or so to think about it. 

• Like 4

My personal tournament summary:

I love Sam. He was my highlight. I totally enjoy him whenever he's on my tv and he's now on my list of "the 10 people I'd like to have lunch with someday..." One at a time, svp.

Last night was the first time I noticed the depth of Ken's humbleness - when he noted he'd learned something new. My words, not his.

For a nanosecond, I felt smarter than Victoria (before Ken had finished reading the clue, I was asking, "What is to thine own self be true?") It didn't take long for V to wash my smug off. She's a force.

I was rooting for Sam, Amy, didn't really care who won, and give a billion kudos to Victoria for her buzzer prowess and gutsy wagers. Now for her to give the other masters a run to remember... I look forward to seeing one newbee eat her dust (in my dreams).

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Bliss said:

For a nanosecond, I felt smarter than Victoria (before Ken had finished reading the clue, I was asking, "What is to thine own self be true?")

Heh heh -- all of us of an age to watch Gilligan's Island, with the "Musical Version of Hamlet!" - got that one!

I just realized that Victoria's husband, and my late husband, had the same employer as well.  Go Tartans!

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
20 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

Heh heh -- all of us of an age to watch Gilligan's Island, with the "Musical Version of Hamlet!" - got that one!

That's how I got it!  And it was the only TS I got.  I should have gotten Grainger -- there's a store just down the road from where I work, and I order from them at least two or three times a year.  I'm in Virginia.

Did not get FJ though.  Maybe tonight will be better!

Congrats, Victoria!  (even though I was rooting for Amy.)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Bliss said:

For a nanosecond, I felt smarter than Victoria (before Ken had finished reading the clue, I was asking, "What is to thine own self be true?") It didn't take long for V to wash my smug off. She's a force.

She simultaneously knew too much and too little to get that one. You don't grasp for "the rest is silence" from pure ignorance. And I thought Amy would get Windsor (it came to me immediately, cue extra smugness) but that may also have been a case where she knew too much and couldn't filter down to something so obvious it's in the title of a relevant play.

I would never have got FJ and was floundering around the Great Lakes -- Michigan, since that is the one entirely in the US, and hoping the corner was a tiny link between Huron and Superior, which it isn't. 

• Like 2

I'm going to be watching something else tonight, so just checked the archive (and thus for several had to give myself credit based on confidence if I'd been able to see the photo I'd have recognized it/them). 

Thirteen TS and four clues left on the board.  For this folks were desperate to return to regular games?

I looked up the picture of the returning champ, and he could have walked right up to my door and I wouldn't have known him from Adam.  Poor guy; that's a long wait just to come back and lose right away.

The Langley and ponderosa TS surprised me a little.  That no one thought of a newspaper saddened me a little.

I ran slang, MLB, and fruit and got all but one each in the rest, so I was back to form in the first round.

I ran TV, "bell", and capitals, but did not do quite as well in DJ as I was hoping; I missed three in authors and two each in the others.

I could have sat here until I expired and not come up with FJ, which was not surprising given the category (I'm not much of an animation fan).

Here, J! writers, free of charge, is better phrasing for the $400 slang clue:  "It has been co-opted, but this word simply means being politically conscious of social injustice."  Or, if you want to stick with talking about what it used to mean, write an actual origin clue:  "While it is now used to describe awareness of any social injustice, this term has been used by Black activists since the early 20th century."

• Like 4

April 10:

67% / 54% / 60%

Still not a great game. I'm out of practice for normal-people-level questions. Or I haven't eaten dinner yet and need some brain fuel. Yeah, that's it.

In J! I missed one in Slang, Music Terms, Flag Time, and Ask Forgiveness, and three in Baseball and Not Persimmon. In DJ I missed one in 70s TV Drama and Does that Ring a "Bell"?, two in State Capital Rivers (but they only got to three of them) and Books & Authors, and three in Mothers-In-Law of Henry VIII (they also only got to three of those).

Did not get FJ; I haven't seen the movie and don't remember seeing a dog in the trailers I have seen.

TSes: (J had 6; DJ had 9 + 1 DD…plus four clues left on the board!) I got Ponderosa Pine, Ku Klux Klan (though that was only a TS after they determined Lucas mispronounced it so it sorta doesn't count), Richmond, Edgar Rice Burroughs, and whistle pig.

Haven't heard a "less than a minute to go" in a looong time.

Longest reigning champion in J! history but only played three games. 😄
Sucks to lose the first one back after all that time. 

• Like 6

Wow.  This game seemed so slow relative to the ones we've been watching!  So many TS, and clues left on the board!  

I did get FJ, because I am Pixar's bitch, and have seen all of their movies at least once.  Most I've seen multiple times, including this one.

And of the multitudes of TS, I got Ponderosa pine, Ft. McHenry, Birnam Wood, Richmond, Langley, newspaper, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Augusta, and whistle pig.

• Like 5
  • Applause 3

As an aside:  I bumped up the Masters thread with what we know so far about season two, and a place for speculation about who the sixth contestant - chosen by producers - will be (the announcement will be made Friday).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
53 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Thirteen TS and four clues left on the board.  For this folks were desperate to return to regular games?

Took the words right out of my mouth!  Couldn’t clear the board, hadn’t studied up on wagering strategy…

To rub salt in my wounds, I knew exactly what movie FJ! was referencing (my grandson’s favorite at the time) but I could not come up with the name. Encanto was my “better than a blank slate” response. 

ETA: even more salt - a throwaway reference to Coco in The Conners, which aired for me right after J! 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 7

Cartoon animals more recent than Bullwinkle and the Road Runner are not in my memory banks.

For yesterday, you could think of the three seas as a sandwich with marmalade in the middle.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

As an aside:  I bumped up the Masters thread with what we know so far about season two, and a place for speculation about who the sixth contestant - chosen by producers - will be (the announcement will be made Friday).

I was a little surprised that Jeopardy Masters didn’t have its own forum (like Celebrity Jeopardy) , since it’s a primetime broadcast show, but good reminder that we can find it here. 

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I was a little surprised that Jeopardy Masters didn’t have its own forum (like Celebrity Jeopardy) , since it’s a primetime broadcast show, but good reminder that we can find it here.

Me, too, and I think it technically should given how ABC presents it, especially now that it's continuing with a "season two" (before it seemed like a one-off akin to the prime-time GOAT tournament which was also a thread here rather than having its own forum), but until/unless a forum is requested and created, we have the existing thread.  (If the college tournament is again a prime-time special like it was last time, that will be another examination by the admins -- stick with the thread within this forum or give it its own forum?)

• Like 1

What a difference a downgrade makes: I was calling out answers left and right! I was feeling positively brilliant compared to the last several months. Still didn't get FJ, though. 

Lucas Partridge: "I waited all this time for that?"  Poor guy. Probably psyched himself out with the stress of anticipation.

• Like 11
  • Hugs 1

I figured the woman in the middle (can't even remember her name now) was just trying to cover her air fare for the trip with her final wager, and had no chance of returning to play another game.  Yes, poor Lucas and his long wait to return ends with a zero $$ tie.      

• Like 5
(edited)
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I did get FJ, because I am Pixar's bitch, and have seen all of their movies at least once.  Most I've seen multiple times, including this one.

In general, I'm not a fan of animated films - having to sit through them with my kids. The mister and I would swap depending on who felt they could manage with some of them (somehow I got Oscar the Grouch). But, I'll admit that most of the ones I do like are Pixar. And my now grown kids love them, so I did watch Coco, which is just lovely and very touching. I wish I'd seen it in a theater, because the colors were amazing.

14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

To rub salt in my wounds, I knew exactly what movie FJ! was referencing (my grandson’s favorite at the time) but I could not come up with the name. Encanto was my “better than a blank slate” response.

Same here - I was going for Coco, but Encanto came out of my mouth. The mister got it - and he doesn't even watch them (now that our kids are grown).

Didn't remember the "longest reigning champ."  And definitely noticed the slower pace, and clues left on the board. But I got more than I have been during the last tournament, so that's a positive.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3

I had no memory of Lucas.  No clue as to FJ!  I don’t care about the Masters Tournament.  Gee, I’m negative today!

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2
25 minutes ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

The new champion didn’t understand the FJ answer, giving a dog breed instead of movie….. oh well, she can laugh all the way to the bank!

Now that 2nd place has increased to 3k, the champion won with less than the 2nd place winner. 

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I had no memory of Lucas.  No clue as to FJ!  I don’t care about the Masters Tournament.  Gee, I’m negative today!

I've never seen anyone so enthusiastically negative! 😄 I lie, I've there myself.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
On 4/9/2024 at 7:31 PM, Quickbeam said:

I’m so happy Victoria won. But FJ? I had no idea. 

I had no idea either.

On 4/9/2024 at 8:27 PM, Grizzly said:

I didn't like Victoria's style of belt over sweater. But I can't begrudge her the win. She's smart and quick. Hope she does well at Masters. 

I was FJ adjacent, I said Black Sea.

I said Sea of Azov but did not think that was correct.

On 4/9/2024 at 8:35 PM, chessiegal said:

The contestants must not watch much TV. I see an ad for Grainger multiple times a day.

I've seen their commercials but still didn't put it together.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Bastet said:

Here, J! writers, free of charge, is better phrasing for the $400 slang clue:  "It has been co-opted, but this word simply means being politically conscious of social injustice."  Or, if you want to stick with talking about what it used to mean, write an actual origin clue:  "While it is now used to describe awareness of any social injustice, this term has been used by Black activists since the early 20th century."

I didn't see anything wrong with the way the clue was phrased.  And apparently neither did Lucas, who got it correct.

I was just glad to see 3 people I didn't know.  So yes, I'm happy we're done with tournaments for awhile.

• Like 5
21 hours ago, Bastet said:

Everything about the game (including FJ) makes me wonder if the players were not prepared in some way (even just psychologically) to play that day. 
If the JIT had gone to its maximum length, and assuming they are taping 5 games per day, the regular Jeopardy! game would have started the next day.
Right?

For FJ I could only say: A movie like Encanto that came out in 2017.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Everything about the game (including FJ) makes me wonder if the players were not prepared in some way (even just psychologically) to play that day. 
If the JIT had gone to its maximum length, and assuming they are taping 5 games per day, the regular Jeopardy! game would have started the next day.
Right?

According to the archive, the last JIT game was taped February 28th and yesterday's (and I assume the rest of this week) was taped March 12th.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
42 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

According to the archive, the last JIT game was taped February 28th and yesterday's (and I assume the rest of this week) was taped March 12th.

Thanks for the info!
So, not that. 
Daylight Savings Time had started just 2 days before the Regular game was taped. If the contestants want to blame that, I'm okay with it, I guess. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

April 11:

83% / 47% / 64%

Finally! A good round after all these months! At the first break I was at 93% (14 out of 15). In J! I ran Manhattan, Unreal Estate, and Double Letters in the Middle, missed one in "T.P" and Year Ending in 4, and three in Abbreviated Television.

And back to form for DJ…missed one in Food Talk and Timely Words, three in Women in Ancient Times and Colorful Geography, and four in Manhattan Project and Musicians' Memoirs. (They took down two trees in front of my building today and now I'm all discombobulated. Yeah, that's it.)

Did not get FJ.

TSes: (J had 4; DJ had 7) I got 1614, fellow, and Thank You (which was a guess but that's good enough).

Alison started out strong in the first half of the round and after her alligator makeout story I had to root for her; she's funny. But I would have been fine with Brian, too. Lee winning yesterday was clearly a fluke and I'm glad she didn't win again after a couple of her responses. (Psst, "Oppenheimer" was in the clue.)

• Like 4

I got FJ, but it was a last-second, WAG.  I did have just enough time to write it down.

I also got the TS of 1614, thank you, antemeridian, and Los Alamos.

Lee had some very interesting guesses.  And by interesting, I mean so very wrong.

• Like 7
  • LOL 3
6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I was just glad to see 3 people I didn't know.  So yes, I'm happy we're done with tournaments for awhile.

While I am also glad to be done with tournaments, it’s weird to see three strangers up there.

• Like 4

My word, poor Lee never got off the ground; she practically had one incorrect response for every one she got right.  (And a couple of her misses were doozies -- Oppenheimer for a clue about a friend of Oppenheimer and the Continental Congress meeting for the first time eight years after the Declaration of Independence.)

The fellow and Los Alamos TS surprised me a bit.  At least there were "only" eleven this time, and they cleared the boards.

I only ran Manhattan and TP in the first round.  I got all but one in words, years, and TV (impressive in that last case, as I've never seen any of the shows), but missed two in estates -- I had no idea on the Anne of Green Gables clue (I've never read it, let alone its sequel) and did not pay attention to the Dr. Doolittle clue, so, like Alison, thought it was a vet (and, unlike her, I didn't even get to his name, just "that All Creatures Great and Small guy").

I kicked ass in DJ -- I ran food, geography, women, and words and got all but one in the other two.

I was hella confident for FJ based on the category, but it turned out what you actually needed to know was British naval history, so I had no idea.  I can name all the space shuttles, but not tell you how any one of them got its name.  Off to look that up ...

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Grizzly said:

What's with these $2000 DD bets? We're so used to people going all in.

Yeah, that's one thing I already miss about the tournaments. If Brian hadn't made such a meek DD wager, he could have won.

I started out liking Alison, but then she asked Ken to "bring it" and I took a step back. Then I saw she's a knuckle cracker, and I was out.

• Like 4

Contestants should be told they cannot say “bring it” at the last clue.    Unless the contestant is is Sam Buttrey.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 7
14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Alison started out strong in the first half of the round and after her alligator makeout story I had to root for her; she's funny. But I would have been fine with Brian, too.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what to make of Alison at first, but the alligator story won me over.  I liked Brian too.  I didn't dislike Lee, but she was definitely not going any farther.

I not only got FJ, but also came up with both shuttles.  I was sure about Discovery and guessed Endeavor based it sounding like it should be the name of an English explorer's ship.

10 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I don't care one way or the other unless I really like or dislike a particular contestant.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I not only got FJ, but also came up with both shuttles.  I was sure about Discovery and guessed Endeavor based it sounding like it should be the name of an English explorer's ship.

I could only think of Endeavor but knew it was Cook.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:
  15 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

What’s with these quotes being misattributed? I’m so used to my own words coming out of my quote box.

😉 As you were.

• Like 4
(edited)
16 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

What’s with these quotes being misattributed?

It happens when A posts something, B quotes it and replies, and then C also replies, but pulls the quote from B's reply rather than A's original post -- it gets attributed to B instead of A.  So, here, you're B.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

I was hella confident for FJ based on the category, but it turned out what you actually needed to know was British naval history, so I had no idea.  I can name all the space shuttles, but not tell you how any one of them got its name.  Off to look that up ...

I was also very confident based on the category - and I mean, there were only 6 shuttles, so I thought odds were good I could figure it out.

I didn't know that fact about Endeavour and Discovery - but somehow knew those were the two shuttles in question. I hadn't the foggiest idea, however, who the explorer might be, and so went with my default "No-idea-which-explorer" answer, which happens to be Cook (I did a project on him in grade 3, and don't remember much about him at all).

• Like 3
(edited)

April 12:

Didn't keep score because I was too busy cleaning my dinner out of my carpet. 😡

FJ was an instaget.

ETA: there were 8 missed clues in the first round and 5 in the second. I got ticklish and solvent.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1

FJ was an instaget.

I got the missed clue of solvent/insolvent.

I got the entire categories of cringe and birds wrong.

It's because I haven't been able to watch since Monday so I was rusty. Yeah, that's it.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My husband thinks Alison looks like Kristen Chenoweth. I'm not so sure.

They're both "adorable," but in very different ways (says the portrait artist).

• Like 4