Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Doing a happy dance because I got FJ right last night and I rarely do. I don't know what the Latin phrase Strength and Truth had to do with the clue, but beast of burden made me think of ox and the river part took me to ford immediately. Voila... Oxford. 

tenor-3.gif

• Like 3
  • Applause 5

November 28:

70% / 57% / 63%

Ugh. J! wasn't terrible...I ran Slinging Arrows, missed one in Writers' Words and Foreign Language, two in A Capital Idea? and Dept of Homeland Security, and three in Seconds. DJ was terrible...I ran Remember the Mane and Flower Power, missed two in Name that 1990s Year and Stardust, four in 4 N Language, and completely tanked Peace, Love & Understanding.

No FJ again and I never would have guessed it.

TSes: (J had 3; DJ had 4 + 1DD) I got 1999 (year the euro was introduced to financial markets).

I randomly guessed 1992 for the Michael Jordan MVP question...was momentarily disappointed and then Ken said there were multiple correct answers so yay, I got a sports question that I had no reason whatsoever to know.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Genre!

Not an especially good week so far. In the J round I got 4 in "A Capital Idea" and "The Department of Homeland Security". In DJ I got 4 in "4 N Language". Only one TS - inconvenient.

FJ was an "if you know it you know it". I didn't.

• Like 7
28 minutes ago, opus said:

I remembered that Hannah enrolled in the writing program on Girls but I didn’t remember which state.

For some reason I started with Minnesota but somehow got to Iowa. (I would prefer not to admit that I was picturing Iowa about where Montana is.)

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

The only reason I knew the FJ answer was so many authors make note of attending the Iowa workshop in their bios. Plus the guy who wrote Field of Dreams (Kinsella) attended, kind of a hint. Also I live in Wisconsin so Iowa is *right there*. 

• Like 5

Just saw in the news this morning that the champ (Nick) used to be an actor... he was in Titanic and several other movies/shows.

"Cascone, who could be described as a character actor, went on to appear in such films as Titanic, Nightwatch, Mr. Baseball, The Cell and Dragonfly, along with shows like Moonlighting, Star Trek: The Next Generation, L.A. Law, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, ER, The West Wing, Judging Amy, Charmed and Without a Trace."

• Like 5
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1

Archive game for me for last night because I wasted nearly three hours going to see the debacle that is "Napoleon." 

I had to think a second for FJ, but like several of you above, Kinsella took me to Field of Dreams, which took me to Iowa.  I've read some of Jane Smiley's works, but didn't remember they were set in Iowa.

I also got the TS of Coast Guard, 1990, 1999 (guess), giraffe, and inconvenient.

Sorry I missed people saying "genre"!  No one will ever say it quite like Alex did, though.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Well, I totally biffed on Oxford in the previous game, although it did briefly flick through my brain.  But I got stuck on ferrying across the Mersey, apparently, because I was sure that Liverpool was the right city.

I also missed FJ last night because I had no idea that U of Iowa had a famous writing workshop.  Although if I'd remembered that Kinsella wrote the book on which Field of Dreams was based (Shoeless Joe), I might've thought of Iowa.

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Archive game for me for last night because I wasted nearly three hours going to see the debacle that is "Napoleon." 

I feel your pain.  Not literally, because I refuse to see that disaster, but I appreciate you taking one for the team.  At least my Saltburn boredom was limited by my leaving early.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 3
6 hours ago, Bliss said:

Just saw in the news this morning that the champ (Nick) used to be an actor... he was in Titanic and several other movies/shows.

"Cascone, who could be described as a character actor, went on to appear in such films as Titanic, Nightwatch, Mr. Baseball, The Cell and Dragonfly, along with shows like Moonlighting, Star Trek: The Next Generation, L.A. Law, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, ER, The West Wing, Judging Amy, Charmed and Without a Trace."

I looked up his picture on the J! archive, and don't recognize him, and then looked up his credits on IMDb (where I was hoping to find a picture from his acting days, but he has no picture) to see if I recognized the character names from any of those shows I watched.  Nope.  If his Moonlighting appearance had been in the first three seasons, I'd have known the character, but he was in the horrid fifth season.  I even pulled up a transcript of his episode of The West Wing - "The Crackpots and These Women" - and searched for his character name (Loomis), but no one ever said "Loomis" in the script, so that didn't help, but I think, mentally shaving off some years and the beard from the J! picture, he was one of the guys advocating for a wolves-only roadway (poor Pluie!). 

• Like 3
39 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I looked up his picture on the J! archive, and don't recognize him, and then looked up his credits on IMDb (where I was hoping to find a picture from his acting days, but he has no picture) to see if I recognized the character names from any of those shows I watched.  Nope.  If his Moonlighting appearance had been in the first three seasons, I'd have known the character, but he was in the horrid fifth season.  I even pulled up a transcript of his episode of The West Wing - "The Crackpots and These Women" - and searched for his character name (Loomis), but no one ever said "Loomis" in the script, so that didn't help, but I think, mentally shaving off some years and the beard from the J! picture, he was one of the guys advocating for a wolves-only roadway (poor Pluie!). 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Thanks 3
42 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I looked up his picture on the J! archive, and don't recognize him, and then looked up his credits on IMDb (where I was hoping to find a picture from his acting days, but he has no picture) to see if I recognized the character names from any of those shows I watched.  Nope.  If his Moonlighting appearance had been in the first three seasons, I'd have known the character, but he was in the horrid fifth season.  I even pulled up a transcript of his episode of The West Wing - "The Crackpots and These Women" - and searched for his character name (Loomis), but no one ever said "Loomis" in the script, so that  didn't help, but I think, mentally shaving off some years and the beard from the J! picture, he was one of the guys advocating for a wolves-only roadway (poor Pluie!). 

My sincere thanks to you for giving me a reason to watch "The Crackpots and These Women" for the umpteenth time! I'll get on that this evening. 😄

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
On 11/27/2023 at 5:12 PM, Browncoat said:

I didn't get FJ tonight, but I did the V-8 forehead slap when the correct response was revealed.  So obvious!  I said Bath because of the water part of the clue.

I've enjoyed seeing the thinking behind getting to the question for me it was:  "Strength Through Truth" (hmm, church or college)...umm, Cambridge - no, not Cambridge... okay, Oxford - OH!! that's what the beast of burden and water mean - an Ox fording..."

18 hours ago, opus said:

I remembered that Hannah enrolled in the writing program on Girls but I didn’t remember which state.

Even though I knew about the program well before watching Girls (wanted to go there, but didn't think I'd pass muster), I'm a little ashamed (as a writer) to say that that's how I got to it. LOL.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 1

For FJ, I startetd with the Stone of Scone, moved on to the Bayeaux tapestry, and ended up with the tower of London.

I got the missed clues of Island of Blue Dolphins, cubic meter, Nureyev, Grant, and Green room (after blue room).

I got the entire categories of ABC, contradiction and waves right.

• Like 3

November 29:

77% / 63% / 69%

Pretty good first round...Ran A B or C, Luck of the Draw, and A Contradiction in Terms, missed one in Reading Rainbow, and three in Neighborhood and Discographies. In DJ I ran Let's Have a "Ball", missed one in Making Waves, two in Metricky Problems and Drinker's Dictionary, and three in Farewell to the Chief and Barre Tenders.

0 for 3 on FJ so far this week…

TSes: (J had 3 + the DD; DJ had 9) I got Island of the Blue Dolphins (DD), animation, green room, and puffball.

• Like 3

Maybe I know too much about the Stone of Scone -- that never would have even occurred to me!  Of course, neither did the correct response -- I first thought of #10 Downing St., then moved to the London Bridge.  I didn't think to leave London.

So many TS!  I got Led Zeppelin, Island of the Blue Dolphins, animation, bears, Rudolf Nureyev, rudder, puffball, and green room.

• Like 4

I thought the Wildcard Championship was over.  Nick won it Tuesday.  Cannot believe Led Zeppelin was a TS.  I don’t care how old/young you are.  You need to know the foundations of classic rock/heavy metal.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
16 minutes ago, opus said:

Hopefully back soon.

Unless plans change (or the original sources were incorrect), it will be a long wait.  As posted in the Media thread when the WGA strike ended and quoted here previously, according to this article, after this Season 37/38 Wildcard ends, it doesn't go back to regular games, they move on to the Season 39 "Post-Season" - Season 39 Second Chance, Season 39 Wildcard, and the Tournament of Champions, although I don't know if that's the order in which they'll happen - that was intended (pre-strike) to kick off Season 40, and only after all that will we get regular Season 40 games.  Here's the quote from that article again:

Per sources, the current Season 37/38 Champions Wildcard-palooza — featuring recycled questions and contestants — will air through Monday, December 18.

Then, beginning Tuesday, Dec. 19 (or the week of Jan. 1, if the show chooses to fill 2023’s remaining days with reruns), the Season 39 “postseason” — which, pre-strike, was intended to kick off Season 40 — will begin. At that point, viewers will see new WGA-written clues, essentially returning the show to normal. (Reminder: The postseason is comprised of Season 39 Second Chance, Season 39 Champions Wildcard and the Tournament of Champions.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 1
42 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I thought the Wildcard Championship was over.  Nick won it Tuesday.  Cannot believe Led Zeppelin was a TS.  I don’t care how old/young you are.  You need to know the foundations of classic rock/heavy metal.

The only information in the clue was a photo of the band and "Houses of the Holy". I know Led Zeppelin exists and was influential, but I am not surprised that that wasn't enough information.

I was surprised no one knew Nureyev (although I know that the reason would be generational)  but  then I couldn't access anything more than "Misha" when they got to Mikhail Baryshnikov.

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Maybe I know too much about the Stone of Scone -- that never would have even occurred to me!

I didn't expect that any of them would be able to reason their way to a correct response and figured their only chance would be to know it. For some reason I had heard this fact recently and knew right away what it was. But the clue said that the item was in "disarray" which seems like an odd state for one Stone, unless maybe they imagined it was in pieces and they had to glue it back together.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
  • Like 8
9 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

But the clue said that the item was in "disarray" which seems like an odd state for one Stone, unless maybe they imagined it was in pieces and they had to glue it back together.

Yes!  I couldn't figure out how they thought a stone could be in disarray, although I'm not sure how I thought a bridge could be in disarray.  A house, yes -- mine is in a constant state of disarray.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

It's all Jeopardy tonight...had the regular game, Celeb J!, and then on Pyramid there was a category called This! Is! Shepherdy! (Things you need to know on a sheep-themed version of Jeopardy.) 😄

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2

Never in a million years would I have guessed that Stonehenge could be bought at auction. The land it sits on, maybe? That would have been a very cool thing to own but the hassle of trespassers must have been too much.

• Like 4

Well this was a weird game day in Chicago. DJ just finished when ABC cut in to report on a Middle East hostage release. While I agree that it's important, local news was starting in less than ten minutes and what they actually reported wasn't particularly time sensitive. In fact when they cut back to regular programming they were still doing the closing credits of Jeopardy.

So I'm thinking "no problem, I'll just check the archive for FJ". Which I did - for my 3rd missed FJ of the week. Then on the local news they give the FJ clue - and it's completely different from what's in the archive! So now I'm totally confused and decide to wait until someone posted here to see what's right. But before that happens, the local news gives the FJ clue again, and it's the one from the archive. Arrrgh! Wonder if they spoiled tomorrow's FJ.

Anyway, 3 for 3 on mediocre games thus week. In the J round I got 4 in "Here Comes the Neighborhood" and "A, B or C" and in DJ got 4 in "Metricky Problems", "Barre Tenders" and "Let's Have a "Ball". TSs were Catfish Row in the J round and Rudolf Nureyev, Nijinsky, Anna Pavlova and bears (da Bears) in DJ.

Still no FJ this week. My guess was Hadrian's Wall.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

You called it correctly @Bastet. I took a screenshot of Nick's billing, which was beneath a then relatively unknown Nick Offerman, but J! Nick actually had the largest amount of dialog of the three Pluie presenters. It was a decent sized role! Here's the screenshot I took, along with a You Tube video clip of the scene, which originally aired on 11/17/1999, for anyone who's interested. (Length: 3:10)

Screenshot_20231130_003350_Gallery.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

I'm not sure this is the place to ask this but it sort of relates to the episode that was on yesterday.

There was a question (forgot what it was) but my instant response was "eww...", which my husband laughed at. But it made realize that the constants rarely react to a question's content. Is this do them the focusing on the buzzer? I imagine that's the case. But then it made me wonder if my response would have got me disqualified as I would have talked without buzzing in and wasn't an answer anyway lol.

Edited by blueray
16 minutes ago, blueray said:

I'm not sure this is the place to ask this but it sort of relates to the episode that was on yesterday.

There was a question (forgot what it was) but my instant response was "eww...", which my husband laughed at. But it made realize that the constants rarely react to a question's content. Is this do them the focusing on the buzzer? I imagine that's the case. But then it made me wonder if my response would have got me disqualified as I would have talked without buzzing in and wasn't an answer anyway lol.

"Disqualified"? Not sure what you mean.
But if the clue was something like:
       "This fleecy female produces lamb chops"
blurting out "eww…" without first successfully buzzing in and/or not asking in the form of a question, would just give others a chance to buzz in and ask "What is ewe?" 😏

I missed Rhone Talsma's flashy eyeglass frames from his last appearance when he was still working as a librarian:
image.png.7987c0c3e4dd59c41872195cdcbdce9e.png
but I f'loved his fuzzy purple sweater even more:
image.png.8ae4d1b6cd1ec4ede47ab7906f2af3b1.png image.png.72a40421281e56c9e424559c6be6affe.png
I'm glad he hasn't lost his sense of style in his new career. 

No FJ for me, but I got TSs of:
cubic meter
rudder
green room
🙃

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
9 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Never in a million years would I have guessed that Stonehenge could be bought at auction. The land it sits on, maybe? That would have been a very cool thing to own but the hassle of trespassers must have been too much.

I doubt there were that many trespassers in 1915, it's not exactly walking distance from anywhere now never mind then.  Public access to the stones was allowed until 1977 when the decision to fence it off was made so that people stopped climbing on it. 

I did not get it so 0/3 so far for me.

Edited by Shrek
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

An okay game for me.  I got the ts's or missed DDs of cubic meter, Nureyev, rudder, Grant, and green room.

FJ could have been just about anything. Bayeux Tapestry did occur to me too but I was pretty sure it isn't even in England now.  Then I figured it had to be a piece of land somewhere but I just couldn't come up with anything.

Looks like a bunch of us are 0/3 so far.  We still have tonight and tomorrow night but, in the meantime, I'll be looking around for some interesting and tasty donuts.

• Like 2

I think the hint in the FJ clue was "a local Wiltshire man." Of course, that doesn't help much if you don't know that Stonehenge is in Wiltshire. But I did know that, so I was able to figure it out.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 4
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

I think the hint in the FJ clue was "a local Wiltshire man." Of course, that doesn't help much if you don't know that Stonehenge is in Wiltshire. But I did know that, so I was able to figure it out.

Ohhhh!  That makes sense now.  I know where Stonehenge is -- I can tell you how to drive there from Gatwick airport, but I don't think I knew the place it's in is called Wiltshire.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Yes!  I couldn't figure out how they thought a stone could be in disarray, although I'm not sure how I thought a bridge could be in disarray.  A house, yes -- mine is in a constant state of disarray.

I picked it anyway, still thinking "not sure how a stone can be in disarray" - a bit ironic then, that it was multiple stones in disarray.

I'm not paying attention to which contest is going on. I'm living for today - as it were - and will patiently wait until "new" clues appear. Though for me the old, used (unremembered)clues are fresh and new for me - kind of like a clue Goodwill store.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • LOL 5
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

Which shows the importance of actually reading the clue fully rather than picking out the part you think is important. I know where Stonehenge is (my first & only  best man was from Salisbury) and have driven past it numerous times but totally missed the "a local Wiltshire man" part that would have led me to the answer so it didn't.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

yep, I knew that too so FJ was an instaget.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

Great J round - DJ not so much.

Loved the J round. I ran "I Married a Beatle" and "That's "Corn"y" and got 4 in "Econ 101", "Who Is Theon of Smyrna?" and "Check It & See". TSs were Ringo Starr, George Harrison and John Barleycorn.

DJ was not so great. I did run "Hats" and got 4 in "Islands & Peninsulas", but got 0 in "We Sell Fun". TSs were cloche, Minnie Pearl (I feel old) and Bruenhilde.

No donuts for me this week. 1963 = Kennedy assassination which got me to the Warren Commission. And it didn't hurt that I just watched a show on PBS recently about what happened in Dallas and the immediate aftermath.

18 hours ago, chicagofan said:

Well this was a weird game day in Chicago. DJ just finished when ABC cut in to report on a Middle East hostage release. While I agree that it's important, local news was starting in less than ten minutes and what they actually reported wasn't particularly time sensitive. In fact when they cut back to regular programming they were still doing the closing credits of Jeopardy.

So I'm thinking "no problem, I'll just check the archive for FJ". Which I did - for my 3rd missed FJ of the week. Then on the local news they give the FJ clue - and it's completely different from what's in the archive! So now I'm totally confused and decide to wait until someone posted here to see what's right. But before that happens, the local news gives the FJ clue again, and it's the one from the archive. Arrrgh! Wonder if they spoiled tomorrow's FJ.

I think that my local news may have spoiled today's FJ yesterday as described above. I'm not sure since I was surprised to hear something other than the Stonehenge clue and didn't really pay attention to what they did say, but it seems vaguely familiar.

• Like 2

FJ was an instaget.

I got the missed clues of amortization, George Harris, Brunhilda, and cloche.

I got the entire catgories of econ and islands right and fun wrong (not sure what that says about me, LOL).

• Like 2

I did get FJ, but my first gut-reaction thought was the HUAC, but then I looked at the date, and quickly corrected myself in time to write it down. 

I also got the TS of Barleycorn, Ringo Starr, amortization, George Harrison, busybody, Lovell, Minnie Pearl, Brunhilda, and cloche.

I would like to thank Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd for my knowing Brunhilda -- "Oh, Brunhilde, you're so wovewy!" "Yes, I know it, I can't help it!"

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

November 30:

80% / 73% / 77%

Not a bad game today…in J I ran Theon of Smyrna, That's "Corn"y, and Check It & See, missed two each in Econ 101, I Married a Beatle, and Warm-Blooded. In DJ I ran Hats, missed one each in We Sell Fun, Quotable Quotes, and Y_O_Y, two in Islands & Peninsulas, and three in If It Ain't Baroque....

Got my first FJ of the week! Was not at all sure, don't really know why I thought of it, and wasn't even connecting it to Kennedy (though given the year, I should have, and I did watch a video the other day about Kennedy conspiracy stuff that's been in the news lately; I don't even remember if it mentioned the Warren Commission, however).

TSes: (J had 4; DJ had 5 + 1DD) I got John Barleycorn, amortization, George Harrison, busybody, Minnie Pearl, Brünhilde, and cloche.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
35 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Got my first FJ of the week! Was not at all sure, don't really know why I thought of it, and wasn't even connecting it to Kennedy (though given the year, I should have, and I did watch a video the other day about Kennedy conspiracy stuff that's been in the news lately; I don't even remember if it mentioned the Warren Commission, however).

I was trying to think of groups outside the government and was wondering whether it would be something about children's television, sex, or civil rights. Never got near the right answer even though 1963 should have helped.

• Like 2