Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Chapter Three

• Start Topic

(edited)

So, I assume Steve still lives in the house with Brady, right? He wasn't forced to move, was he?

It's obvious they're trying to replace Samantha with Seema. I don't dislike her, but I wish it wasn't so obvious that's what's happening. Because you can't really replace Samantha, and her presence is SO needed on the show that you can see how they did just try to replace her role and it just (for me) kinda makes her absence more glaring. Kim and Samantha were one of a kind.

Edited by ruby24
  • Like 5
  • Love 5
(edited)

As someone who owned a gun-shaped lighter once, I enjoyed Seema’s gag.  But why wasn’t Seema at the brunch with the gals and gays?

I’m going to hate on Carrie momentarily but I have to give her full credit for not making Seema getting robbed all about her and the time she got robbed at gunpoint  for her Manolos.

So I know in previous episodes that Che’s sitcom or sitcom meets stand-up or whatever is on ABC but I assumed they meant ABC Studios and like on-streaming or Freeform?

But this fully seems like it’s taped in front of a live studio audience and is a multi-camera on actual ABC!?  Like, I know we live in progressive times but absolutely no way that show is getting made on ABC ABC. 

I can’t shade Miranda too much for her tattoo as getting mine on my inner left wrist was my go-to for being visible but not overly visible for something significant.

Ignoring the greater implications of Carrie Bradshaw, as always, being history’s greatest monster  (you can fake an orgasm!  Just fake the flu!):

Sick Mean Girls GIF

Edited by Lethallyfab
  • Like 1

I don't mind Miranda going to LA while her son is trapsing around Europe. In case of emergency everyone apparently gets very convenient last minute flights to meet back up in NY. If he was in NYC for the summer and she left him with Steve to run off with Che, that'd be a shit move.
The 'I don't know technology and anything other than an iPhone requires a Masters in Computer Science' is getting so old.

I also didn't hate the MILF list scenes. The oogling of the teenager does not seem out of character for the Julie Cooper appreciation society, but making those comments out lood was a tick too much. For a moment I thought they were going to create drama by Charlotte  not being on the list.

The jewellery thiefing as so weird. Again, Carrie (and Seema) watches for minutes before making any type of noise? The guy wasn't very discreet and two women of their standing should know how jewellery (of the quality that gets its own cocktail party) is handled.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Too much Miranda. Too much Miranda fawning over Che. Too much Miranda being a bumbling 'old lady' with these new-fangled phones and then ordering a really shitty-looking tattoo. Too much Miranda bumbling around as if she's forgotten how to walk. What is with her walk?! But there were some fun moments as mentioned by other posters in the other story lines; I especially enjoyed Richard waddling along in his little blue boots and also Charlotte and Nicole acting up with the head master.

I can't figure out Carrie's apartment. It's her old one, in the brownstone, supposedly, but it is such a different layout...

Also Brady's hair was not that red last season!

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, violet and green said:

Too much Miranda. Too much Miranda fawning over Che. Too much Miranda being a bumbling 'old lady' with these new-fangled phones and then ordering a really shitty-looking tattoo. Too much Miranda bumbling around as if she's forgotten how to walk. What is with her walk?! But there were some fun moments as mentioned by other posters in the other story lines; I especially enjoyed Richard waddling along in his little blue boots and also Charlotte and Nicole acting up with the head master.

I can't figure out Carrie's apartment. It's her old one, in the brownstone, supposedly, but it is such a different layout...

Also Brady's hair was not that red last season!

Carrie's brownstone layout looks the same to me, but I cannot figure out the decor. We saw it transformed into a lot of blue and white in the first movie, and some of that--the floral wallpaper in big blue turquoise flowers--remains, but the walls are mostly back to white, with mostly her old furniture and not much of the new stuff she had in the movie. I wonder what was behind that decision?

According to this article https://graziamagazine.com/articles/carrie-bradshaw-shoes-season-two/

Carrie spent nearly 12 grand on her 'make me feel better' shoe haul. Most of which are gorgeous, if ridiculously expensive. But these? We saw her trying these on. I'm all for some whimsy but these are stupid. 

carrie-bradshaw-shoes-6.webp

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 6
7 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

I’m going to hate on Carrie momentarily but I have to give her full credit for not making Seema getting robbed all about her and the time she got robbed at gunpoint  for her Manolos.

I'm going to say the writers probably forgot about that.

1 minute ago, luna1122again said:

I wonder what was behind that decision?

Knowing the behind the scenes brain trust I'm going to say nobody cares about continuity.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, T Summer said:

Maybe playing alongside Charlotte who seems more and more to have become possessed of the spirit of Chrissy Snow over time... has rubbed off on  her. I take back what I stated last week  that Charlotte doesn't seem as bad as last season. Do they watch this drivel back after recording it? The two of them are verging on coming across as the characters  they portray have some  kind of intellectual impairment.

SJP in her recent New Yorker interview stated she doesn’t watch the shows after making them, and she can’t remember what happened, either on the original series or now.  And she’s executive producer, and very close to MPK.  So that explains a lot of the continuity issues.  

2 hours ago, luna1122again said:

Carrie's brownstone layout looks the same to me, but I cannot figure out the decor. We saw it transformed into a lot of blue and white in the first movie, and some of that--the floral wallpaper in big blue turquoise flowers--remains, but the walls are mostly back to white, with mostly her old furniture and not much of the new stuff she had in the movie. I wonder what was behind that decision?

According to this article https://graziamagazine.com/articles/carrie-bradshaw-shoes-season-two/

Carrie spent nearly 12 grand on her 'make me feel better' shoe haul. Most of which are gorgeous, if ridiculously expensive. But these? We saw her trying these on. I'm all for some whimsy but these are stupid. 

carrie-bradshaw-shoes-6.webp

This is the same designer who did Emma Watson’s “floating dress,” which was quite the talk of the internet recently (Google it).  I do think that some of the fashion on this show is chosen to be deliberately provocative/polarizing.  If they can’t get people talking/watching with the quality of the show, they might as well try to get them some other way.  These shoes look like they have a tumor.  I’m all for a avant-grade designs, but at least make it a flattering shape for the wearer!  Nobody wants to see a bloody tumor on your foot!   Why would a balloon get stuck in your sandal?  Ever?

Edited by Rebecca berkowit
  • Like 4
  • LOL 8
57 minutes ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

SJP in her recent New Yorker interview stated she doesn’t watch the shows after making them, and she can’t remember what happened, either on the original series or now.  And she’s executive producer, and very close to MPK.  So that explains a lot of the continuity issues.  

That is such a fuck you to the viewers.  I'm not surprised and you are right. It explains so much.

• Applause 6
(edited)
On 6/29/2023 at 9:04 AM, Hanahope said:

i was a bit let down that the tattoo miranda got was a simple "MH" on her wrist (probably one of the more painful areas too).

In my mind that it means she is finally remembering who she is and we’ve seen the last of this ridiculous reconnect of Miranda Hobbs.  At least until next week anyway 😕.

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

In fairness to SJP, she's an EP.  I don't know what her agreement with the production people says, but it's not uncommon that a star of a show is an Executive Producer without it meaning they actually have much, if any, responsibility for the day to day running of things.  It's not like she is writing the show or is responsible to maintain the show's continuity with SATC. 

6 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I'm going to say the writers probably forgot about that.

Also, within the show's timeline, that was 23 years ago.

• Like 4
On 6/29/2023 at 4:57 AM, thesupremediva1 said:

Unfortunately, Miranda Hobbes isn't even here anymore. Samantha is gone, did the writers really think it was a great idea to also remove Miranda from the group? The show is so stilted, it's pathetic. And Cynthia Nixon just can't act at all.

I don’t blame Cynthia Nixon, she didn’t write this mess. Ditto for SJP And Kristin Davis.  EP’s aren’t writers or show runners.  Sure, Cynthia can have input but I blame the writers who really don’t care about these characters.   An actor can only do so much with a script.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Cosmocrush said:

I don’t blame Cynthia Nixon, she didn’t write this mess. Ditto for SJP And Kristin Davis.  EP’s aren’t writers or show runners.  Sure, Cynthia can have input but I blame the writers who really don’t care about these characters.   An actor can only do so much with a script.

I disagree. See many interviews with MPK about “bespoke” writing. Cynthia loves this and 100% signed off on it. She’s not responsible for the full train wreck, bad storylines, and awful dialogue, but she has a strong hand in Miranda’s storyline, which I see as a massive middle finger to everyone who enjoyed the original SATC. YMMV.

• Like 14
  • Applause 1
On 6/29/2023 at 7:35 AM, Hana Chan said:

And Che did not come off well here!

In comparison to what time that they did come off well? 

Still trying to figure out why TPTB decided to double down on the Che character after the negative response from the first season.

Carrie was allowed to remain Carrie, but Charlotte became a caricature and Miranda apparently suffered some kind of neurological incident which permanently altered her personality.  

Nicole Ari Parker is gorgeous!  Lisa and Seema are the best things to come out of the reboot.

• Like 12
19 hours ago, JeanJean said:

I bet Tony Danza would be just as kind and wonderful in real life.

(Sniggling)….I forgot to comment on this, Google TD and you’ll find some not-so flattering articles about him.  When I see him now, any goofiness that I always liked about him is long gone.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, thesupremediva1 said:

I disagree. See many interviews with MPK about “bespoke” writing. Cynthia loves this and 100% signed off on it. She’s not responsible for the full train wreck, bad storylines, and awful dialogue, but she has a strong hand in Miranda’s storyline, which I see as a massive middle finger to everyone who enjoyed the original SATC. YMMV.

Haven’t read that many interviews but I 100% agree that Miranda’s storyline ( as well as parts of Carrie’s) is a big fuck you to the SATC fans/audience.

• Like 2
On 6/29/2023 at 1:57 PM, Rebecca berkowit said:

YAlso, I may be cynical, but I think they put that whole book excerpt in there about how she “stared at him for what felt like hours but it was only a minute” to address the whole “why didn’t Carrie call 911” criticism from last season.  They really devoted a LOT of time to her repeating that particular passage, about how he was on the floor and she was just standing there, staring.  Which we all saw and questioned.  Apparently, they want us to know it was much shorter than it seemed!    Also also, the writing in that “memoir” was so terrible, Candace Bushnell would be upset if she watched it, which I understand she doesn’t.  

I kept expecting them each time to put in "and then I called 911" to retcon it.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
On 6/29/2023 at 6:35 AM, Hana Chan said:

And Che did not come off well here! Yeah, I get that Miranda was breaking the "no phones" rule but this was her child calling. Che has a right to be upset that the call interrupted a crucial moment they were filming (and having been called out for their acting, Che had reason to be anxious) but they will have to accept that for a mother, their child should and must take priority. Trying to make it as if there was no need for Miranda to meet her son was the absolute worst thing they could have said and it really makes clear that the relationship is about satisfying Che's needs. Che is they one who sets the tone for their relationship and Miranda has no real life outside of it anymore. It really hammers home that whatever sparks the show keeps insisting exists between the two of them and they are not a well match couple and are at very different stages of their lives. Even though they seemed to have made up before Miranda left, I can't see this "relationship" surviving for much longer. Maybe we'll finally start seeing a bit of the old Miranda and she'll see what an asshole she'd been since meeting Che.

I agree. Che and Miranda are a bad match. Best case they were a a fun hookup (assuming Miranda was free for a hookup). 

I love the scene with Charlotte walking Richard Burton in his little rain coat and boots! Charlotte would have a Burberry poop holder!

• Like 2
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 1
21 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Kim and Samantha were one of a kind.

What made the original show work was the way the four leads balanced one another. You can Carrie who was the flighty, irresponsible one. Charlotte was the upper crust conservative, Miranda was the driven professional woman. And Samantha was her own unique species. The show has suffered badly with Samantha's absence and I think that the show runners are well aware of this fact. 90% of SITC's best moments were due to Samantha and because Kim gave it her all in every moment. Who could ever forget Bozzo the Bush?

Seema is... fine. Very underwritten and she's... well, she's there. I wish that she was a full character in her own right and not just there to show that hey! We're not just about white women anymore. She needs her own stories that have nothing to do with Carrie, Miranda or Charlotte and given the structure of the show, that's not going to happen. They're not going to elevate her character to be a lead on par with the big three. She's a supporting player so she can't fill Samantha's role. 

6 hours ago, Cosmocrush said:

I don’t blame Cynthia Nixon, she didn’t write this mess.

But she is one of the executive producers (along with her co-leads), and they've been making it very clear just how much input she (and the other EPs) have had on the storylines. Considered that they are pretty much copying CN's lesbian awakening after a long term marriage to a man, and that the woman she ended up marrying was very masculine in appearance. This is CN's personal agenda to tell her story through Miranda.

• Like 10

I thought the third episode was supposed to be with Miranda and family with the shrink and Aiden emailing Carrie.  Wasn’t that what they have been promo-ing all week?  For some reason, I remember the last episode ending with Carrie seeing an email from Aiden … or was this in upcoming promo??  The other story line is also described  at the beginning of this this thread … so … what happened?  Did they show the episodes out of order or something?  Release the wrong promo?  Did I miss something?

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Aulty said:

The 'I don't know technology and anything other than an iPhone requires a Masters in Computer Science' is getting so old

Miranda was *super* excited about her Palm Pilot and was annoyed that the girls didn’t fawn over it and instead talked about men.  She was the first person I saw on TV who had a TiVo.  She even joined the “you don’t back-up?” brigade when Carrie’s laptop crashed.  Like, they could have downplayed “Grandma doesn’t remember how to calculate without an abacus” and done a gag about, say, how Brady is annoyed that his Android mom’s emojis don’t come through correctly.  

Lots of actors don’t watch their own work, and I‘m absolutely fine with that, but as executive producers, SJP and Nixon bear a different responsibility.

• Like 8

I blame  Julie Rottenberg and Elisa Zuritsky.

and Michael Patrick King who is credited with writing Sex And The City 2 which made Kim Cattrall say NO MORE!

and EP's SJP, CN + KD for whatever guiding hand they had in  this mess

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, ChattyCathyLA said:

I thought the third episode was supposed to be with Miranda and family with the shrink and Aiden emailing Carrie.  Wasn’t that what they have been promo-ing all week?  For some reason, I remember the last episode ending with Carrie seeing an email from Aiden … or was this in upcoming promo??  The other story line is also described  at the beginning of this this thread … so … what happened?  Did they show the episodes out of order or something?  Release the wrong promo?  Did I miss something?

Yep, I posted the clip and description of this episode and I had to go back and see if I posted the right one? But that's what it's labeled s2 e3. I saw what you saw: Miranda, Steve and Brady in therapy,  Charlotte wanting to get back to her own interests, Aiden's email to Carrie arousing the gals' curiousity at lunch then the two of them together with Aiden asking So is there anyone new in your life?

The written description states the fun thing is the preview trailer reveals the return of Aiden... which would mean of the next one: s2 e4.

...but I didn't see that either. There was no preview of the one to follow Chapter Three when I watched.

• Like 3

Maybe the writers are method and have adopted Miranda’s “gee! I can’t possibly understand what I’m doing regarding technology!  I’m just an old broad who doesn’t understand anything” when it comes to understanding how to release press releases.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, ichbin said:

Still trying to figure out why TPTB decided to double down on the Che character after the negative response from the first season.

See, you think the issue has to do with their horrendously shitty writing and tragic lack of respect for anything about SATC, when it's really that we're all huge, gigantic, enormous bigots.

Tsk tsk, @ichbin, for not putting the blame where it belongs.

Edited by Alice Mudgarden
  • Like 2
  • LOL 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, T Summer said:

The written description states the fun thing is the preview trailer reveals the return of Aiden... which would mean of the next one: s2 e4.

I saw a review that stated that Aiden only pops up later in the series. Critics got screeners for all but the final episode, so I would expect him to make an appearance around episode 6-7.

Edited by Aulty
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 6/29/2023 at 7:36 AM, bluegirl147 said:

And the mothers at Charlotte and LTW's children's schools ogling that student made me think of the Brady/Samantha storyline that made Kim turn down the third movie.   There is no way they would have had the dads ogling a female student. 

This part made me feel squicky. 

• Like 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, Surrealist said:

I think that kid definitely looked at least 18, and he was seriously hot.  And he was sort of looking at them in a sexy way, at least in their minds.  I think they were just dumbstruck by his hotness.  At least, that’s what I think the writers were going for.  That this boy was unusually mature (some high schoolers are 18), and he thought they were MILF’s.  They had thought he was a little boy.  The comedy comes from surprise and reversal of expectations.  It was expected that this was a young kid, not a hot mature guy.  It is expected for men to react this way, not for women, and not for moms.  I can’t fault them for trying, and they weren’t seriously implying that the women were seriously interested in harassing or sexually engaging with the kid in any way.  It was more about their reaction, which the kid didn’t seem to mind.   (They even showed a girl his own age drooling over him).   No harm, no foul.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
(edited)
On 6/30/2023 at 4:13 AM, Snazzy Daisy said:

Am worried about Carrie and her declining taste in fashion. The sheer tulle skirt and that LOEWE leather balloon sandals - really fugly. UGH.

I legit thought they were tomatoes.

This season is overall much better than season 1 (a low bar, as others have already observed), and it's orders of magnitude better when you fast-forward over the Che/Miranda scenes completely.

I read the forums before watching each episode so I know exactly when to hit the skip button, so I am truly appreciative of those of you here who are taking this hit for me. 😆

Now that Miranda is back in NY and away from Che, I'm more inclined to watch her scenes because hopefully the pod person inhabiting her was left in California. 

I'm hoping her tattooing her initials on her wrist was to remind herself of who she is--that she realized she was becoming one of those women she used to loathe--the kind of smart woman who abandoned who she was as a person for the sake of a relationship.

Original Miranda would have called bullshit on a woman like new Miranda in the blink of an eye. And sorry MPK, not because of homophobia. 

Edited by Sailorgirl26
  • Like 3

I enjoyed episodes 1 and 2 much more than season 1 (low bar as others have said) but this episode was a disjointed, erratic mess. I get that we're supposed to be following their lives in an episodic way, and real life can be disjointed and erratic. But if I'm going to take time out of my own disjointed, erratic life to watch, I expect show writers to respect my intelligence with coherent storylines (ex., what was the point of Carrie clearing out the jewelry show by yelling she had covid?), character continuity (ex, Miranda is plugged in enough to want to take social justice courses in 2023 but doesn't know how to silence/vibrate her phone), and at least some kind of take-home message (ex., if you're going to make not one but two robberies the focus of an episode, is there something to say about that--maybe about finding faith in humanity or something?).

On a more positive note, I would watch a whole series about the Wexleys alone (including the comments-that-cut-like-a-knife mother). 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 6/29/2023 at 7:57 AM, thesupremediva1 said:

Unfortunately, Miranda Hobbes isn't even here anymore.

Agreed, but in her absense we have an odd and extended instance of "negative product placement" ("product displacement?"). The whole uninteresting phone-loss boondoggle from the prior episode foreshadowed the errant phone ring in this one. We get it. Android phones suck. How many times to we have to hear Miranda say that? It wasn't ringing when it should, but certainly rang when it shouldn't. Though she never said it, maybe her 2023 Android phone was just too complicated for Harvard Law grad Miranda to master turning the ringer "off." Sex and the City had been in the tank for Apple decades before it became the world's first 3 trillion dollar company. See https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/30/tech/apple-3-trillion-market-valuation/index.html. Congrats on that though! Does this show really need to pump up Apple even further? Don't the writters have other things to worry about, like maybe writting better stories and reviving the Miranda people actually liked and recognize?

• Applause 5
57 minutes ago, AKimbo said:

I enjoyed episodes 1 and 2 much more than season 1 (low bar as others have said) but this episode was a disjointed, erratic mess. I get that we're supposed to be following their lives in an episodic way, and real life can be disjointed and erratic. But if I'm going to take time out of my own disjointed, erratic life to watch, I expect show writers to respect my intelligence with coherent storylines (ex., what was the point of Carrie clearing out the jewelry show by yelling she had covid?), character continuity (ex, Miranda is plugged in enough to want to take social justice courses in 2023 but doesn't know how to silence/vibrate her phone), and at least some kind of take-home message (ex., if you're going to make not one but two robberies the focus of an episode, is there something to say about that--maybe about finding faith in humanity or something?).

On a more positive note, I would watch a whole series about the Wexleys alone (including the comments-that-cut-like-a-knife mother). 

I would also watch that show.  Unfortunately, that isn’t this show.  I also want to watch this show, or what used to be this show.  

• Like 3
13 hours ago, ChattyCathyLA said:

I think the preview said - This "season" on AJLT - I do not think it was referring to the next episode (which would have been this one) 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, Aulty said:

I saw a review that stated that Aiden only pops up later in the series. Critics got screeners for all but the final episode, so I would expect him to make an appearance around episode 6-7.

So we're going to have Carrie and Aidan e-mailing back and forth for several episodes like they're on Match.com in 2002? As far as I've heard Samantha's tiny (but reportedly fabulous) cameo will be very close to the end of the season. The writers know they have to keep us hooked by dangling the past fan faves because their new material ain't cuttin' it.

• Like 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, ahpny said:

Agreed, but in her absense we have an odd and extended instance of "negative product placement" ("product displacement?"). The whole uninteresting phone-loss boondoggle from the prior episode foreshadowed the errant phone ring in this one. We get it. Android phones suck. How many times to we have to hear Miranda say that? It wasn't ringing when it should, but certainly rang when it shouldn't. Though she never said it, maybe her 2023 Android phone was just too complicated for Harvard Law grad Miranda to master turning the ringer "off." Sex and the City had been in the tank for Apple decades before it became the world's first 3 trillion dollar company. See https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/30/tech/apple-3-trillion-market-valuation/index.html. Congrats on that though! Does this show really need to pump up Apple even further? Don't the writters have other things to worry about, like maybe writting better stories and reviving the Miranda people actually liked and recognize?

Agreed.  Why did she even buy an Android phone?  They have Apple stores in LA.  She could’ve bought one.  It would’ve made more sense, because she could’ve seamlessly transferred all of her data, messages, photos.  That’s what I would’ve done.  That’s what anyone with an iPhone would’ve done.  She might’ve been due for a new one anyway.  I can only conclude that the Android phone purchase was put in there just to dump on Android, or to give her an excuse for not knowing how to use the phone so she would have to interrupt the taping.  Again, just plain lazy writing!  There were sooooo many other ways for them to do this, including having her just skip the taping altogether because Brady was going to call!  I can almost picture the writers’ meetings: “Guys, what if?  She loses her phone?  And then has to buy— an Android? (Collective Ugh!) And doesn’t know how to work it?  So it rings during the taping?”  (And everybody laughs and doesn’t ask logical follow ups.). Also, “negative product placement” is brilliant!  I bet Peloton has a little something to say about that!  And also the designer of those shoes!  

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
11 hours ago, Surrealist said:

I teach 18yo kids, and I thought it was super gross too. (I’m obviously not the intended audience for the joke.) You can recognize that a kid is basically attractive without BEING attracted to them, and I don’t know any women who would behave like that…fanning themselves & biting their lips over a child coming out of the principal’s office 🤨. Also, just my 2 cents, but that kid looked like a kid - like a run-of-the-mill high school senior. It *might* have been a funnier gag if they’d hired a model who appeared clearly older/more mature, but it’s still ridiculous and was obviously not written by a woman. 

• Like 8

Carrie really balks at most work, I can’t imagine lying to get out of something as simple as reading a book aloud. She poo poo’d writing anything in Paris, even to try to get it published later on. I agree with the comment that SJP is phoning it in, the character is so morose and whoa is me, all while being incredibly self involved and prudish.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, AKimbo said:

I would too! LTW/NAP has some comedic chops - she kind of curled up her lips and mumbled something like Tyler Perry (in the sound guy scene) and it was really funny the way she did it. I like that she can be serious and funny. 

I think Che could be serious and funny and it would be SO much better if their character wasn’t playing opposite frigging Miranda who we all agree has been taken over by aliens. I think Sara Ramirez is a good actor and so much better than CN who is actually a terrible actor. The chemistry is non-existent. It was harsh but I remain team Che after the sound studio incident. Miranda should not have snuck her phone into the studio. If she was choosing her child which was a perfectly fine thing to do, she should have stayed outside. 

And OF COURSE Miranda chose a typeface with serifs for her tattoo. 

• Like 7
On 6/29/2023 at 7:08 AM, Rebecca berkowit said:

And why did Carrie even take a test?  Again, no way it would’ve been required today.  

She never took a test. The whole “I have Covid” thing was a lie. And I thought that was completely ridiculous and spineless. Yes, she kept being told  “this HAS to be in your own voice”, but in her shoes (ha!) I would have been upfront and told them, “Look, this is still way too painful for me to do. Either get an actress to do it or ask me again next year.” Hell, these days they could probably get a chatbot to read it in Carrie’s voice.

I also thought the MILF list thing was stupid. I can believe kids that age would do that, but the list had the women’s actual names. Unless things have changed drastically in the last several years, there’s no way they’d put it that way. My daughter’s classmates called me “Kristen’s mom” all the way up through high school. And wow, in the PTA scenes Charlotte’s face looked more frozen than ever.

Good grief, just how many Burberry accessories does Charlotte have?! Which reminds me of a trip to London where I remember passing a shop that had a handwritten sign in the window. I don’t recall the exact words but it was very close to “Absolutely NO fucking Burberry!”. “Fucking” was definitely in the wording, that much I do remember. I figured they must be getting too many chavs coming in. Shoplifting, maybe, who knows.

Miranda and the phone. Yeah, saw that coming as soon as the “no phones” announcement was made. TBH I’ve always thought Miranda was kind of an asshole, even in the old series. This was such a Miranda thing to do. She could have texted Che and said something like “So sorry, I can’t come in. I need to keep my phone with me.Brady just called, his girlfriend dumped him and he’s in really bad shape”. But no, in classic Miranda mode she smuggles in her stupid phone and doesn’t turn the ringer off. And that part didn’t even make sense because Brady was saying “why did you FaceTime me” so she somehow butt-dialed him, so why would her phone even ring? And how do you use Apple’s FaceTime on an Android?

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
On 6/29/2023 at 9:04 AM, Hanahope said:

the jewelry robbery was also pretty stupid.  some guy comes up to you and says hand me your necklace and you just stand there?  he didn't have gun, just run away.  but yes, seema's lighter gun was a good bit of comedy.

That was another really dumb plot point. The guy was going around sneakily slipping jewelry into his pockets. He’d have to be really stupid to then increase his risk of getting caught by holding up people for theirs. (Yeah, he’d been seen but he probably thought he was being stealthy.) I kept thinking since Seema’s drink was lousy and she had plenty left, that she’d throw it in his face so she and Carrie could get away from him, and yell for Security. The lighter gun was a nice touch though.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, RedInk said:

I teach 18yo kids, and I thought it was super gross too. (I’m obviously not the intended audience for the joke.) You can recognize that a kid is basically attractive without BEING attracted to them, and I don’t know any women who would behave like that…fanning themselves & biting their lips over a child coming out of the principal’s office 🤨. Also, just my 2 cents, but that kid looked like a kid - like a run-of-the-mill high school senior. It *might* have been a funnier gag if they’d hired a model who appeared clearly older/more mature, but it’s still ridiculous and was obviously not written by a woman. 

This. There's this kid of about 17 that I interact with through a sports club. At some point over lockdown he went from an awkward looking kid to an objectively attractive young "man." It was honestly quite startling to see how he'd changed so a few people did mention it. But not one single adult woman or gay man expressed any attraction to him. So I get what it's like to be surprised by the attractiveness of a teenager but the reaction would be more, "wow, he's actually attractive, huh!" And not "boom chikka wowwa!"

• Like 2
(edited)
On 6/29/2023 at 11:11 AM, Rebecca berkowit said:

I agree, am sure she didn’t take a test. But she SAID, on the phone to either Charlotte or Miranda, that she was completely asymptomatic and would not have known she had it. “Except for the test.”  Why would they have her say that?  What test?  Why would she have taken a test?  The person she was talking to would’ve certainly wondered why she even took a test if she had no symptoms.  Or was she hoping they’d believe she had been required to take one to record the podcast?  Was she? Are jobs still requiring that?  When does this take place?   I thought this plot point made no sense.  She should’ve just said she had some slight symptoms.  Or that she had the flu.  It’s like they were trying to get a laugh from the whole Covid thing.  Too late, too unfunny.  

She was embroidering her lie. How does she know she has COVID, if she's asymptomatic? She wouldn't, unless a test told her. She made it up. 

The joke was that she was getting COVID after it was passé . 

I thought this episode was okay, but the MILF list was just stupid. So none of these women are evolved enough to not care about some teenager's list? Idiots! 

Edited by cardigirl
  • Like 2
24 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

She was embroidering her lie. How does she know she has COVID, if she's asymptomatic? She wouldn't, unless a test told her. She made it up. 

The joke was that she was getting COVID after it was passé . 

I thought this episode was okay, but the MILF list was just stupid. So none of these women are evolved enough to not care about some teenager's list? Idiots! 

I get that she made it up.  I don’t get why she thought her friends would buy it.  Or why they didn’t ask her “why did you take a test if you had no symptoms.”  It makes zero sense.  

• Like 4
(edited)

Not a defense of Carrie's lack-of-work-ethic but re: the whole Covid test with no symptoms--it actually is a plausible excuse. If someone I've been around tells me they have COVID, I'm going to take a test to find out if I have it, even if I'm asymptomatic. If she really wanted to live the lie, she could have said that someone at the podcast studio tested positive so the whole staff took tests. I'd believe it if it was said to me. 

It is still a thing people do, or should be doing. 

Edited by Sailorgirl26
  • Like 8