Type keyword(s) to search

S44.E07: Let's Not Be Cute About It

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Lol at the camera cutting to Matt's papaya when Jeff asked if anyone wanted to play an advantage or idol.

But booooo at the show making Heidi announce to everyone who she wanted Lauren to vote for. I'm not sure if it worked out how she wanted, but it could really have affected how people voted. All the other votes were secret - why should Lauren's be known publicly?

So one of the most annoying and boring showmances ever is cut short.

Too bad. So sad.

How much you wanna bet Frannie wishes she threw that challenge?

Yeah I think the public advantage backfired.

Edited by vb68
  • Like 13
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
18 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

Lol at the camera cutting to Matt's papaya when Jeff asked if anyone wanted to play an advantage or idol.

But booooo at the show making Heidi announce to everyone who she wanted Lauren to vote for. I'm not sure if it worked out how she wanted, but it could really have affected how people voted. All the other votes were secret - why should Lauren's be known publicly?

Somehow I could picture Adam Klein grabbing that papaya and smashing it, then saying "just checking".  

This advantage was yet another bust.  It was stupid and just producer manipulation.  I also thought it was stupid it was made public.  Why not have it in the voting booth-something like 'someone is controlling your vote, you must vote for Yam Yam.'  They really seem like they want to dictate how the season goes.  Was last season so boring for them that they need to make sure stuff happens this season?  I also worry it might put a target on Heidi's back, from Soka for not trying to save Matt, and also from Yam Yam and Carolyn for her picking him as Lauren's vote.  I like Heidi, from what little we've seen of her.  She seems to have a decent concept of the game.  I wish that Frannie hadn't seen her get the advantage, because maybe she could have kept it to herself and not played it at all.  

I liked Matt but good grief I was so sick of his showmance with Frannie.  I am glad he was able to at least expose Danny's idol and him planting the fake idol before he left.  Also, I wasn't aware that everyone's SITD was something that they kept on them.  I thought they just opted to play it and then picked a scroll at TC.  I wonder if Frannie regretted not bringing Matt his bag or if anyone even thought of it.  It seemed unfair that he wasn't allowed to have it sent to him, considering they weren't aware what was going to happen at the challenge.

• Like 13
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

Matt going home was 100% Frannie’s fault.  After she was safe I was practically yelling at the screen telling her to drop her ball to make sure her boyfriend was safe.

Edited by KeithJ
  • Like 11
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I liked Matt but good grief I was so sick of his showmance with Frannie.  I am glad he was able to at least expose Danny's idol and him planting the fake idol before he left.  Also, I wasn't aware that everyone's SITD was something that they kept on them.  I thought they just opted to play it and then picked a scroll at TC.  I wonder if Frannie regretted not bringing Matt his bag or if anyone even thought of it.  It seemed unfair that he wasn't allowed to have it sent to him, considering they weren't aware what was going to happen at the challenge.

First bolded: Yes, thank god for that! Hope that doesn't get back to Danny.

Second bolded: I felt that way too, at first, but then I thought that there have been times at challenges where people were exiled, sent on journeys, switched to other tribes/camps, sent off to vote immediately, etc. So you ought to anticipate and bring your stuff with you everywhere.

6 minutes ago, North of Eden said:

Lauren=smug with her asking about the extra vote.

That didn't come off as smug to me. She was asking a legit question. Maybe in a rather humorless way, but who could blame her when she's just found out she's lost control of her vote?

Had to laugh when Heidi opened the cage, turned to Frannie, and went in for a hug...and Frannie just kind of stared at her with her arms down. Frannie needed to practice Joey Tribbiani's "gracious loser" clap.

9 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

This advantage was yet another bust.  It was stupid and just producer manipulation.

I rolled my eye at Brandon's "you're never really screwed in the game, you can always do something to work your way out" comment.  Tell that to the many players put into no-win situations over the years.

• Like 8
  • Applause 7
  • Love 2

We enjoyed  tonight. I liked the winning  with no power. I enjoyed  them running  for the keys, and Heidi working  it all through, that Matt was more popular.  I have some social anxiety,  so I felt Matts pain.

I didn't  mind Heidi had to announce  who Laura  had to vote for, why not.

I loved seeing  Matt looking over at Frannie, this show,  and Big Brother  do better  in the romance dept than the rose show.

I love Yam Yam,he does use humor to cover a lot. I'm happy  Carolyn  is safe  and she was rooting  for Yam Yam. 

• Like 7

I am so, so very glad that Matt was dumb enough NOT to bring his full bag to the challenge.  You always bring it everywhere.  His own damn fault 100%.

Glad Heidi's attempt to save Matt didn't work too.  As I said last week, I wanted him gone so very much.  I hate showmance stuff.  And he was living in Stupidville not playing the game and blowing his chance of a lifetime to be on Survivor.  You have the rest of your life to get to know Frannie is it (can't remember half the names still).

And Frannie (if that is her name) looking like Matt was going to be taken out and shot.  Come on, he is going to Ponderosa and eat plenty and sleep in a comfy bed.  Either get over it and FINALLY play the game or give up and go there and make all smoochy with him.  But don't act like he is actually dead now.

And I love Yam Yam so two wins for me tonight!  Go, Three Stooges!!

• Like 18
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I wonder if Frannie regretted not bringing Matt his bag or if anyone even thought of it.  It seemed unfair that he wasn't allowed to have it sent to him, considering they weren't aware what was going to happen at the challenge.

I was thinking that, but then saw that Lauren had her bag, so it turns out that was just a poor decision on his part.  I myself am a fan of this particular "showmance" and hope that it goes somewhere.  I also was hoping that Heidi's vote choice would be public - we didn't get a clue how that would work until she didi it!  Mr P and I are enjoying this season 😃

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

First bolded: Yes, thank god for that! Hope that doesn't get back to Danny.

Second bolded: I felt that way too, at first, but then I thought that there have been times at challenges where people were exiled, sent on journeys, switched to other tribes/camps, sent off to vote immediately, etc. So you ought to anticipate and bring your stuff with you everywhere.

That didn't come off as smug to me. She was asking a legit question. Maybe in a rather humorless way, but who could blame her when she's just found out she's lost control of her vote?

Had to laugh when Heidi opened the cage, turned to Frannie, and went in for a hug...and Frannie just kind of stared at her with her arms down. Frannie needed to practice Joey Tribbiani's "gracious loser" clap.

I don't know if I would think to bring my belongings to a challenge, but yeah, I guess there have been examples in the past where people got screwed because of twists like this and didn't have their stuff with them.  I'm glad that Matt's idol ended up being fake, although a small part of me would have found it hilarious if he bungled his own boot so bad (with some assist from Frannie).  I see a lot of comments on Twitter that Frannie should have dropped, since she would have had immunity and then Matt would have been safe.  But I'm glad she didn't take the easy way out to save her man.  I was proud of her for outlasting everyone, including a former player in the NFL.

I think Lauren and her fellow Ratu members were a little smug tonight, but that moment at TC didn't bother me.  If she was smug, it might have been throwing it in Heidi's face that she still was going to have a vote.  But even I was curious whether she would have both votes controlled or not.  

I also had to laugh at that moment with Heidi and Frannie.  I expected Frannie to be somewhat happy that Heidi found it, especially since none of them knew what it was.  But I thought the 4 Soka members were tight, so I would have assumed she was glad someone from their tribe got it (especially since it could have benefitted Matt, had Heidi played it right).

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
51 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

It seemed unfair that he wasn't allowed to have it sent to him, considering they weren't aware what was going to happen at the challenge.

I sort of agree, especially since he apparently couldn't use his shot in the dark. But seriously, why the hell did he not bring his bag? You should always be prepared for twists on Survivor. This is not the first time a tribe didn't get to go back to camp before tribal.

• Like 7
14 hours ago, princelina said:

... I also was hoping that Heidi's vote choice would be public - we didn't get a clue how that would work until she didi it!  Mr P and I are enjoying this season 😃

I think the instructions she read aloud said she had to stand up as soon as Jeff said "Time to vote" and publicly declare what person's vote she was going to control.  So I didn't think it was a surprise.

13 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I don't know if I would think to bring my belongings to a challenge, but yeah, I guess there have been examples in the past where people got screwed because of twists like this and didn't have their stuff with them

They are always suppose to bring their full bags to anything.  He knew that.

A person could go off to some overnight exile twist or be picked to go somewhere else for a possible advantage or disadvantage.  Or several sent to another camp which was what happened here.  It happens more often than not these days.  Matt was just plain stupid.  He wasn't into the game, just into Smoochyland.  Let that be a lesson for future contestants to keep their heads in the game.

And I think if Frannie did bring his bag he shouldn't have been allowed to retrieve it from the "witness bench" player.  They were there only to watch except for the person with the advantage who could only speak up after the "Time to vote" was uttered and then only to use the advantage.  So I'm glad it cost him big time. 

Edited by Skooma
  • Like 19
  • Fire 1
52 minutes ago, Skooma said:

I am so, so very glad that Matt was dumb enough NOT to bring his full bag to the challenge.  You always bring it everywhere.  His own damn fault 100%

But what difference would it had made really? He already figured out his idol was fake.  That was much ado about nothing.

If the idol was real, Frannie would have brought it for sure and made sure he had it.  

Gve me Carolyn and Yam Yam over Frannie and Matt any day. I know Carolyn and Yam Yam aren't a couple, just saying they are much more fun to watch and that genuine display of emotion from both of them tonight was really sweet.

Edited by vb68
  • Like 15
13 hours ago, vb68 said:

But what difference would it had made really? He already figured out his idol was fake.  That was much ado about nothing.

If the idol was real, Frannie would have brought it for sure and made sure he had it.  

Gve me Carolyn and Yam Yam over Frannie and Matt any day. I know Carolyn and Yam Yam aren't a couple, just saying they are much more fun to watch and that genuine display of emotion from both of them tonight was really sweet.

Wasn't about the fake idol.  He didn't have his Shot In The Dark (is that the name of it??) paper with him so he couldn't use it if he wanted too.  And given how the voting went (Monday morning QB of course) it was indeed his only hope.

I agree I like Carolyn and Yam Yam (and Carson) far better too.  So I'm glad Matt was dumb and forgot his bag.

Edited by Skooma
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

See ya, Matt.

Yep, I feel no sympathy for Matt at all, and glad he got booted. It was his own fault not bringing his bag with him to the challenge. Matt seemed more into Frannie and his "showmance" than he did playing the game. Now, Frannie can play her own game and not get dragged down by Matt. She already proved herself by winning the immunity challenge, outlasting everyone there. 

I don't like the "control someone's vote" advantage. When someone votes, it should always remain that person's vote. Hoping that stupid advantage never arises again. 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Skooma said:

Wasn't about the fake idol.  He didn't have his Shot In The Dark (is that the name of it??) paper with him so he couldn't use it if he wanted too. 

Thanks. I was stuck with his fake Idol on my brain. lol

• Like 1

I've been thinking about Heidi and her logic with having Lauren vote Yam Yam instead of one of the Ratu members.  I'm curious if her intent was to get Matt or Yam Yam voted off by doing that, or if she thought it would save Matt.  Did she know she wouldn't be able to control both of Lauren's votes?  Or did she think that, by telling Lauren to vote for Yam Yam, that everyone else would do the same (knowing that Yam Yam would have at least one vote coming his way).  

I'm curious about the dynamics going forward, too.  It's clear that Brandon/Lauren/Jamie are tight (I'm not exactly sure where Kane fits in with them).  Carson said tonight that Tika was going to be the deciding factor as to who made it further (Ratu or Soka).  Soka seemed tight but are kind of a mess-Matt found out Danny planted his fake idol and has a real one, Heidi helped get Matt voted off (either on purpose or by accident), and Frannie may have a target on her back because Matt is a guaranteed jury vote for her if she makes it to the end.  So does Tika pull in the Soka members or go with Ratu who probably won't turn on each other?

• Like 3

I think Heidi absolutely intended to save Yam Yam- she knew she only controlled one Lauren vote.  I also get the feeling that it's a decision that changes the balance in the game.  I suspect that in the next episode or two we'll see a real shift in alliances away from "tribe strong"

ONOH-I really thought Carolyn would rock the challenge and surprise everyone.  See how good I am at reading people?

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

I hate that a fantastic win in a challenge by Frannie, outlasting 4 from the other side became a pyrrhic victory, because what an underdog story win! Then, I was thinking what a great thing for her game to be released from the Matt showmance anchor.  Then she became a bit crazed in insisting Matt should be saved.  Ugh.  Think she was better gameplayer of the two, would have loved to see her maneuver more on her own in a different universe.  She still can, so, get it together Frannie!

• Like 6

If Heidi had announced she was stealing Jaime or Brandon's vote and they were to vote for Lauren, that would then have mobilised both Yam Yam and Matt to vote for Lauren, and she would have been likely gone, pleasing Danny who was wanting her out and Frannie hoping for Matt to stay and Carolyn hoping for Yam Yam to stay, and also herself, as she wanted to not piss off her tribe but also to save Yam Yam.

I am sad Matt's gone (to the jury) as I liked him so much, but glad Yam Yam got to stay. Really, it was Frannie's insistence Heidi use her advantage to help Matt that backfired and caused him to go...

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
9 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Lauren=smug with her asking about the extra vote.

She might have been smug about having an extra vote, but it was a legit question.  Did she use her extra vote?

9 hours ago, OutOfTheQuestion said:

I rolled my eye at Brandon's "you're never really screwed in the game, you can always do something to work your way out" comment.  Tell that to the many players put into no-win situations over the years.

The way he said it it sure seemed even he (Brandon) didn't believe it.  Brandon knew Matt was toast but didn't want to say so.

Good for Frannie for not deliberately dropping the ball to save Matt.  Had he continued in the game their obvious relationship would have brought her down too.  Now she can play for herself.  My opinion of her just went up significantly.

8 hours ago, vb68 said:

Hmm.  I wonder if anyone on the "jury" side would have been allowed to play their own idol for someone on the players' side.  I'm guessing no, and even if Matt's idol was real Frannie would not have been allowed to give it to him.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, violet and green said:

If Heidi had announced she was stealing Jaime or Brandon's vote and they were to vote for Lauren, that would then have mobilised both Yam Yam and Matt to vote for Lauren, and she would have been likely gone, pleasing Danny who was wanting her out and Frannie hoping for Matt to stay and Carolyn hoping for Yam Yam to stay, and also herself, as she wanted to not piss off her tribe but also to save Yam Yam.

I am sad Matt's gone (to the jury) as I liked him so much, but glad Yam Yam got to stay. Really, it was Frannie's insistence Heidi use her advantage to help Matt that backfired and caused him to go...

If Heidi had targeted Jaime or Brandon and made them vote for Lauren, then Lauren would have had to play her stolen vote to force a tie. Which would have neutralized the advantage one way or another in any case. So from the outside that feels like it would have been the wiser play; but clearly there are some other politics going on behind her decision (or maybe she didn't fully think it over or figured Matt and Yam-yam wouldn't cooperate with the obvious choice)

• Like 4

After Heidi found the advantage I actually wondered if Lauren, Jaime, and Brandon would find away around her dictating that vote.  And they did.  Although production may have thought it would change the outcome all it really did was make some alliances stronger IMO.  Frannie could have dropped out after winning immunity, Matt could have taken his bag to the challenge (and thus have his SITD paper/whatever), Heidi could have targeted one of the former Rata, etc.  This whole episode could have gone in many different directions.  

However, Jeff really overplayed his hand when he used Julie's tagline from Big Brother "expect the unexpected."  No, Jeff, just no.  If I want to watch Big Brother I will watch it.  I want to watch Survivor which used to be about alliances and strategy.  If Jeff is "over" Survivor, then he should relinquish his multi-million dollar contract and find someone to host Survivor who is all about Survivor and NOT Big Brother in the Jungle.

• Like 10
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 4
7 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Sooooooooo she sacrificed her boyfriend for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a bag of chips?  

Matt, you can do better bruh.

My thoughts exactly. Maybe she kinda wanted him gone so she can play the game now without baggage or being a target as a couple.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

And now we're back to weirdly edited episodes and bad twists that ruin someone's game. 

Matt got royally screwed over by the merge not REALLY being the merge if they're split up again. I do think Matt was pretty bad at the game. Maybe if Frannie wasn't around, he'd show a bit more awareness but the moment he set eyes on Frannie, he showed that he was on the wrong island. Love Island used to be just down the beach from you, bud, but I think they moved it back to the US. 

But still, bad gameplay from Matt, and that's not on the twist, BUT the split tribes when they JUST merged is borderline ridiculous. Matt seems like a nice guy and all but I found it hard to be moved by his whole "I conquered social anxiety" speech (as someone who related to social anxiety!) because his entire game was warped around Frannie. 

Frannie also made a bad play in not realizing that she could save her and Matt by just dropping once she had immunity, but I do take that as a sign that she was less in the showmance if she was thinking game first in that moment. Hopefully, with Matt gone, she can actually play better.

Heidi got screwed over by the Control a Vote disadvantage. All it did was place a giant neon target on her back. Controlling Lauren's vote AND telling Yam Yam she was essentially against him? Yeah, that really sucks for Heidi, all because she opened the birdcage. Now, the smarter thing for her to do was steal Jaime's vote and vote Lauren, and hope Matt and Yam Yam follow suit. But with how badly Matt's played, I don't know if he would have figured it out in time, as both men were in Protect Yourself mode.

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Did she use her extra vote?

She did not, she saved it. 

• Like 12
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Taeolas said:

If Heidi had targeted Jaime or Brandon and made them vote for Lauren, then Lauren would have had to play her stolen vote to force a tie. Which would have neutralized the advantage one way or another in any case. So from the outside that feels like it would have been the wiser play; but clearly there are some other politics going on behind her decision (or maybe she didn't fully think it over or figured Matt and Yam-yam wouldn't cooperate with the obvious choice)

At the very least, it would have flushed Lauren's extra vote, and not pissed off other Soka and/or Matt loyalists, or Yam Yam's allies.

• Like 7

I think the "control a vote" advantage would have worked better if it was private. The advantage-holder goes up to the voting booth with their target -- so that part is public -- but the actual vote itself is a secret between the two of them.

• Like 11
33 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

This episode is in the running for the most telegraphed ouster in Survivor history.

I was half watching, half reading the Dynamite results and at one point LessAncientSpouse and I both looked at each other and knew it was Matt even though we hadn't seen how it would be him yet. Just too much focus on him when there were other supposed candidates still on the block. 

I felt this post-merge split was a little too much manipulation of the gameplay, no matter how it would have worked out. Sometimes I wish Peachy would just be consistent in his theme (other than "we're just going to mess with them" which gets old.) So they are marooned survivors forming a new culture...say "but even one tribe can be split by a sudden storm and a new unit has to work together..." or some other nonsense to sell it in-show. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

With strategy taking such a backseat in Survivor Probst.0, I think it’s time for the show to adopt a new slogan: Outwit, Outlast, Outluck.

On 4/12/2023 at 8:26 PM, Carey said:

Yep he made it

And now he and Frannie can continue to make googly eyes at each other across the Tribal Council stage. 

Edited by 30 Helens
Correcting autocorrect
  • Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
6 hours ago, Haleth said:

Hmm.  I wonder if anyone on the "jury" side would have been allowed to play their own idol for someone on the players' side.  I'm guessing no, and even if Matt's idol was real Frannie would not have been allowed to give it to him.

According to this interview from Jeff the answer would have been no.  Like some others, I was wondering if Frannie had brought Matt’s bag would she have been able to give it to him.  But Probst said the winning tribe having no say in who went home meant just that-they couldn’t do anything to manipulate the vote (except of course for Heidi’s advantage).  So Matt wouldn’t have been able to take his bag if someone brought it, no one on the winning tribe could give him an idol or play one for him, give him their SITD, etc.  

• Useful 2
5 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

So Matt wouldn’t have been able to take his bag if someone brought it, no one on the winning tribe could give him an idol or play one for him, give him their SITD, etc.  

Is Shot in the Dark transferable? Can someone play it for someone else the way idols are done?

Just now, eel21788 said:

Is Shot in the Dark transferable? Can someone play it for someone else the way idols are done?

I don't think this has ever explicitly been stated, but my guess is no - you can only play it for yourself. And even if you could play it for someone else, I think you'd have to be a participant in that tribal council. So Frannie wouldn't have been able to play it for Matt in this instance, any more than she could have brought him his bag.

Yam Yam manages to survive another day. Carolyn was in tears at the thought that her "bicker buddy" might be going home. They have a real bond. As we know, Carson is part of that strong alliance as well. They are the Three Stooges, Carson's fitting name for them, but they are succeeding and surviving all the twists. I think the fact that Yam Yam uses humor to deflect difficult situations endears him to people in his own playful way. The others laugh at his jokes. It lightens the mood. Carolyn's ditzy "character" was toned down last night. I think it's game strategy and she can turn it on and off. 

• Like 6
21 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

And now he and Frankie can continue to make googly eyes at each other across the Tribal Council stage. 

Unless she gets voted out, and they decide to consummate their relationship at Ponderosa. Maybe then, they would skip the PDA at Tribal Council.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, Valerie said:

I think the "control a vote" advantage would have worked better if it was private. The advantage-holder goes up to the voting booth with their target -- so that part is public -- but the actual vote itself is a secret between the two of them.

Right - it would've been far more interesting IMO to watch the facial expressions and the body language of the person whose vote was taken over as they came back from the voting area.  Announcing it in public defeated what could've been some interesting strategy, but I guess when production is playing the game in place of the cast, there's no need for strategy anymore.

1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

With strategy taking such a backseat in Survivor Probst.0, I think it’s time for the show to adopt a new slogan: Outwit, Outlast, Outluck.

100%.

I was listening to Stephen Fishbach explain to Rob C. on his podcast the reasons why Heidi chose Yam Yam as her target...then I realized I would need to go back to school to get a Master's in Advanced Calculus to understand it.  I did get it after rewinding three times and really focusing, but I don't want my Survivor to be this complicated.  It takes the fun out of watching - now it's more like homework.

Also, Probst - Julie Chen called and she is pissed.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Like 6
  • LOL 4

I wonder if Frannie regrets that with one small, seemingly accidental, bobble, she could have saved the love of her life for only the price of a peanut butter sandwich and a bag of chips?  That said, those were good looking peanut butter and jelly sandwiches--very thick and luscious looking.

I did notice a smearing of orange paint on the top of Frannie's head after the comp, probably transfer from paint on her pole.  Not to be all tin-foil hattery about it, but I wonder if maybe her pole had fresher paint on it, allowing for a certain adhesion factor that made it easier to keep in place on her head, leaving her "only" to the task of concentrating on keeping the ball on the plate.

I'm glad the showmance got broken up.  A showmance is always a dangerous sort of alliance--it is usually all kinds of irrational and emotional, and can lead to bad game play by the players in the showmance, and can be manipulated and used by clever players outside the showmance.  I prefer the bicker-buddies of Carolyn and Yam-Yam to Frannie and Matt.

• Like 6