Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Chapter Seventeen - The Apostate

• Start Topic

(edited)

What a serotonin hit to see Grogu amusing himself by spinning around in the chair using the Force.  I love little creative and unexpected touches like that.  I actually loved all the Din/ Grogu moments:  teaching him about ship, the creed, disciplining him with the Anzellans, etc.  The suit of armor, the puppet and Pedro Pascal’s voice still have crazy acting chemistry, what can I say.

Karga is getting quite a big head in his role, with the droids carrying his robes, and his standing on ceremony, barking at people for not using his title, etc.  I was also surprised at how cold he was to Grogu, considering he used to like him a lot.  He called him a critter even after Din asked Karga to use Grogu’s name, right?  No bueno, Karga.

Kind of a stupid plan to reanimate IG-11, but I guess Din has no other flesh-and-blood allies to help him, since all of his friends and frenemies are doing their own thing right now.

The ending was super-abrupt and kind of awkward.  Is Bo-Katan actually all alone in that castle just sitting there?  If so, and even if she hates Din, I would have thought she might have opted to “come with” just for lack of anything better to do.

Nice start, healing my emotional damage bar from Pedro Pascal in The Last of Us, but going to be tough feeling like 30 minute eps are satisfying.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Like 17
(edited)

Oh how I've missed this show.

Intense sequence to start the episode. The helmuting ceremony (not sure what else to call it) being interrupted by the sea creature was intense.  When Din swooped in to save the day and landed the Razor Crest Starfigther and Grogu popped up, I actually yelled "Yay!"

Nevarro has had quite the glow up. I'm liking it, though there seems to be some tension with its scummy and villainous past. I just love seeing Greef Karga. Carl Weathers is just delightful in this role.

The previously-on clips made me wonder if we'd get to see IG-11 again, but I guess reassembling him isn't going to be easy - if it's even possible. I actually thought Din was going to seek out Peli Motto for some help with that. Instead, he went to Bo Katan, which...I have to assume there's more to her story. I'm curious to see how they weave her back into the Din's journey.

Excellent premiere! Have I mentioned how much I missed this show!

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Like 11

Hah- I forgot that the planet Satine and B-K are from is actually called Kalevala.  If the secret to fixing Mandalore involves forging a Sampo, it will make me supremely happy.

Overall this was a fun season opener.  There’s always so much place setting with these shows in episode one - but they did a good job spicing it up.  The two big action sequences were really good- it’s always nice to get a giant beast to fight, and the dogfight through the asteroids was cool.  Otherwise, it was just a fun episode.  Yeah, it’s just a half hour- but it’s a dense show.  I kind of feel like we got the same amount of story here that we get in a HotD or a RoP- here it’s just squeezed into a tighter runtime.

Beyond that, I think it’s genius to use Babu Frik and company here - “hey, why don’t we bring back the one thing everyone actually liked about episode 9…”.  Loved seeing the space whale silhouettes in hyperspace.  I guess they had to say something about Cara Dune- hopefully the fans can just deal with the fact that she’s living on a farm upstate from now on.  Finally in retrospect, if there’s any way they could’ve fixed IG-11, it’s kind of bad that they turned him into a statue.  Droids- they never get any respect…

• Like 11
  • LOL 1
(edited)

I thought it hilarious how Grogu was allowed to behave like the rest of the universe when seeing him for the first time - for once he was not on the receiving end of a cuddling frenzy 😁

Kinda glad swamp-monster thingy showed up before the kid could finish his oath - of course they will repeat the ceremony hopefully in a knee deep puddle. The scene underscored Bo Katan's words about Mando's Tribe being a cult, they were about to plonk a bucket on a kid's head and make him swear to never show his face again. That's pretty horrific no matter how cool they make it look. Of course Bo Katan's a hypocrite considering her own backstory (not sure the show will eventually call her out on that - they better do!), but girl knows how to sulk-lounge. Also: thanks show, for reminding me that I should finally read the Kalevala.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Like 5
(edited)

As great as it was seeing a serious depiction of the horrors of fascism and the psychological toll in resisting it, sometimes it's just nice to see armored people in jetpacks fighting a giant crocodile.

Edited by Fool to cry
  • Like 5
  • LOL 16
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, Fool to cry said:

As great as it was seeing a serious depiction the horrors of fascism and the psychological toll in resisting it, sometimes it's just nice to see armored people in jetpacks fighting a giant crocodile.

This is how I described it to a friend. "Very good. Lots of humor. And great pew pewing."  Sometimes all you need is some pew pewing.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 10
6 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

What a serotonin hit to see Grogu amusing himself by spinning around in the chair using the Force.  I love little creative and unexpected touches like that.  I actually loved all the Din/ Grogu moments:  teaching him about ship, the creed, disciplining him with the Anzellans, etc.  The suit of armor, the puppet and Pedro Pascal’s voice still have crazy acting chemistry, what can I say.

I loved those moments too, especially all the little teaching bits. It's like, now that Mando has Grogu back, he's officially acknowledging his role as Grogu's dad and is ready for all that entails beyond keeping him safe/fed and not letting him eat frog babies. Also, I loved getting confirmation that Grogu can get from his little dome seat into the cockpit with Mando while the ship's in flight.

1 hour ago, Chyromaniac said:

Finally in retrospect, if there’s any way they could’ve fixed IG-11, it’s kind of bad that they turned him into a statue.  Droids- they never get any respect…

I thought the same thing. Did they not even TRY to take him to the Anzellans before Mando showed up? I mean, nice that they honored him, but at least attempting to repair him would've been 1000 times better. Of course, what do you expect from the guy who has TWO droids following him around all day just to carry the train of his robe? IG-11 isn't as sassy as some of the droids in the Star Wars universe, but if he gets fixed, I wonder what he'll think about the fact that he's just been standing for the city square for however long, with birds roosting on his head, when he could've been repaired.

• Like 12

I am so glad this show is back - finally! It seems like I waited forever for the third season.  This came across as the most lighthearted season opener to me so far.  There was a lot of humor.

Grogu trying to cuddle the Ancellan and that not being appreciated reminded me of me as a little one trying to smush my aunts poodle and being nipped for it.

Greef Karga having tiny droids carry the train of his fancy cape made me giggle.  So maybe we will get IG-11 back?

I doubt Bo Katan has given up just like that. I don't trust her.

• Like 9
(edited)

The Mandalorian finally returns because someone decided that 2023 will be the year of Pedro Pascal and I heartily approve of it!

A lot of set-up here, but I thought it was fun return.  As much as I loved the high stakes and deep look into the horrors of the Empire in Andor or even some of the nostalgia flair of Obi-Wan Kenobi (and The Book of Boba Fett had.... moments.  I swear!), it's nice to return to the OG doing what it does best: having Space Dad and his Adorable Son zipping from planet to planet, meeting the locals and returning character, getting into some scraps, shoot-outs, and space battles, and then on to the next journey!  Taking me all the way back to when it first premiered in 2019, which, yeah, it's only a few years ago, but a lot of has clearly changed!

Great catching up with Greef Karga and Nevarro again.  While it looks like success has gone to Greef's head, it does seem like Nevarro is in a better place now (outside of the occasional pirate or two), so at least he seems to know what he is doing.  Thought they did a decent job at explaining away Cara Dune's absence since I doubt we'll see her again.  Knew Din wasn't going to take him up on his offer to be the marshal though, which is a little too bad because I do think it would be something he'd like, and both he and Grogu would probably be happy if they settled down here.  But there is no way Din is not going to attempt his "redemption."  He has been imbedded too deep into his faction and I don't see him turning over a new leaf that quickly.

Things are certainly not looking great for Bo-Katan right now.  Noticed that Katee Sackhoff is billed as a regular, who is the first non-Pedro Pascal cast member to get that honor, so I'm guessing she's going to have a massive role this season in the overall story.

Always hate it when you are trying to perform a religious ceremony and some gigantic alien alligator has to show up and crash the party!

Din trying to bring back IG-11 was something I wasn't expected.  I guess no one truly dies in the Star Wars Universe if the creators don't want them to! 

Welcome back, show!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Like 17
(edited)
2 hours ago, magdalene said:

Greef Karga having tiny droids carry the train of his fancy cape made me giggle.

Will the cape cause his death? He violated The Incredibles fashion directive.

Din and Joel ARE the same person if they are dropping puns...

Does the Starfighter have a hover mode?? It would have been more dramatic if Mando jumped out and decapitated Killer Croc with the DarkSaber 

Edited by paigow
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2

Not a bad start.

• Nice Belter reference.  Wonder if that was intentional.
  • Some of those pirate masks looked 1980s bad.
  • Nice to see Bitch Pudding *err* Bo Katan.
  • I like Grogu, but there was too much forced cuteness for a 35 minute episode.
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, angora said:

Also, I loved getting confirmation that Grogu can get from his little dome seat into the cockpit with Mando while the ship's in flight.

I agree, and somehow he can get out of the ship entirely and into his little pod all by himself too.  (Unless this an editing or continuity error, but Din didn't pick him up when they landed.)

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

As great as it was seeing a serious depiction of the horrors of fascism and the psychological toll in resisting it, sometimes it's just nice to see armored people in jetpacks fighting a giant crocodile.

That's what I love about Star Wars, you can get both! Its a big galaxy, you can have all kinds of stories with all kinds of tones and plots, and they all still fit together. 

That was a really fun opener, lots of cool action, super cute Din and Grogu moments, plenty of funny bits, its just great to be back in this corner of the Star Wars universe. The episodes are so short that they have to do and set up a lot in a short amount of time, I am always impressed at how they manage to do so much without sacrificing character moments and small bits of world building, like Grogu seeing the space whales. Grogu snuggling those little engineering guys was just the cutest thing, he's really experiencing what everyone feels when they see him. We also got lots of nice bits where Din is doing dad stuff with Grogu, teaching him about the creed and piloting his ship, telling him to leave the little guys alone, he's finally come to terms with the fact that he's Grogu's dad and that's just the way its going to be. 

We got two big action scenes, both classic Star Wars style of action sequences, the big monster fight and the big space dog fight. They were both just what I wanted to see in this episode, lots of lasers and flying around and asteroids, blowing bad guys up, sometimes that's all you want from your space story. They will certainly get deeper by the end of the season and shit will get real, but for now I'm enjoying this light space fun. 

Maybe next time don't have your big religious ceremony for the kids in giant alligator territory? 

Nice to see Nevarro cleaned up, having gotten rid of much of its scum and villainy, and that Greef has had a real glow up! He even has two little droids that carry his cloak around, I can respect that sort of extra. Din really would be a good sheriff and he and Grogu would probably have a really nice life there, but I don't think Din is at the point where he can let his Watch ways go. Now he's off to Mandalore, after stopping to see Bo-Katan, who it looks like fucked around and found out. At least she gets a sweet castle. 

• Like 12

Enjoyed the episode. Really hope for longer episodes.

I hate that this occurred to me when I saw the episode but I can't help but think that Nevarro situation may be leading to the beginning of the First Order in the TV universe. 

Kind of want to see that stolen ship with Bo’s former followers. 

Speaking of Bo, I am wondering how she is going to get involved with Mando and his quest. She may be saying she has no interest but I feel she will get involved either for good or for bad. Also wondering when we will see the Dark Saber again. 

• Like 3
(edited)
15 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

Not a bad start.

• Nice Belter reference.  Wonder if that was intentional.
  • Some of those pirate masks looked 1980s bad.
  • Nice to see Bitch Pudding *err* Bo Katan.
  • I like Grogu, but there was too much forced cuteness for a 35 minute episode.

So glad I'm not the only that caught that.

Interesting hearing Greef say that Nevarro wants to be an independent trade anchor, not ruled by some far-off power. Made me wonder if it was an intentional callback to Mayfeld's discussion with Din toward the end of season 2: "Empire, New Republic. It's all the same to these people."

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

It's good to have this show back, I missed Din and Grogu. He was so excited to see a species smaller than him or he thought they were frogs. I loved the daddy/son flying and life lessons. I mean it's always a good time to teach your 50 year old adopted son not to trust pirates. I was shocked one of the pirates wasn't Hondo. Din I get IG was your first droid relationship, but there others that are good too. I'm also surprised that much of him survived. 

Has Bo-Katan been sitting on that throne sulking this whole time? Girl you lost the darksabor twice. Just because your sister ran Mandalor that doesn't mean you get to. I hope someone tells Din that she used to be a member of his cult. I guess we'll see how her story goes this season since her name is in the credits. 

• Like 11
  • Love 1

OK, my very first thought on seeing Mando's ship enter the scene is that Mando should have used this in the climactic fight on Tattooine in the last ep of TBOBF instead of fighting on foot. Imagine having all that firepower, power that can accurately target, say, something not much bigger than those droid walkers the Pikes used, and just parking it somewhere, when you know your side is badly outgunned. (Much respect to everyone who had the sense to skip over the non-Mando parts of Boba Fett.)

Karga offering that land and title to Mando felt sketchy from jump. Like he needed a free mercenary so his best shot was to trick Mando into the job. And ... yup, needed he a marshal. That's not exactly "hanging up your blaster".

It's kinda sketchy how Din is so good at droid repair, esp for a longtime droid skeptic. Kinda makes Anakin building C-3PO as a child less impressive. But somehow I am charmed that IG-11 has a very spinal-column looking apparatus when the droid design is very mechanical and has very non-human-like articulation for a bipedal robot.

"Wave [the Darksaber] around and they'll do whatever you say." Sounds like Din's not the only one in a cult, lady.

Does Bo-Katan really meet guests by running down to the throne room and making them walk a very long hallway? Surely she doesn't hang out there on the throne when there's no company. There's nothing to do there! Unless she has a space iPad or something.

Also, what happened to Mando's intermediate quest to get a new memory chip for IG-11? I thought he needed IG-11 to scout Mandalore? Is he just going to the planet directly? It's not like he asked Bo-Katan for the component.

14 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

I would have thought she might have opted to “come with” just for lack of anything better to do.

This is basically as much motivation as Din had for helping Boba Fett out in TBOBF. He did that for free!

9 hours ago, MissLucas said:

The scene underscored Bo Katan's words about Mando's Tribe being a cult, they were about to plonk a bucket on a kid's head and make him swear to never show his face again.

That helmet was perfectly sized for the twelve year old kid. He's gonna have to change helmets as he gets older, unless it's built with expansion joints. (Or they expect the helmet will squeeze his head and forestall further growth, but that would be horrific and also all the adult human Mandalorians have helmets sized for adult human heads.)

8 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

sometimes it's just nice to see armored people in jetpacks fighting a giant crocodile.

I wish they fought smarter. Firing grapping hooks into a croc that big would be like five people trying to hold back a moving locomotive with ropes. They just don't have the mass to do anything about it. And that nonsense was smart compared to the Armorer trying to go at the monster with her armor-forging tongs.

• Like 6
11 minutes ago, arc said:

That helmet was perfectly sized for the twelve year old kid. He's gonna have to change helmets as he gets older, unless it's built with expansion joints. (Or they expect the helmet will squeeze his head and forestall further growth, but that would be horrific and also all the adult human Mandalorians have helmets sized for adult human heads.)

The size of the helmet is not the issue I have with this scene. I was using 'bucket' as a general term for those helmets (I've seen the term used in cosplay for Mandalorians and Clone/Stormtroopers) and not in reference to that particular model.

Yay! The show is back. 

I yelled Ezra when I saw the Space Whale...I don't care it was a sign 😀

It's odd, we had so much of Mando and Grogu in Book of Boba Fett that I keep thinking of those episodes as S2.5 of The Mandalorian. I couldn't understand why they were explaining about Grogu being back...like yeah we saw that last season...oh wait. 😁

I look forward to more Mandalorians, hopefully Sabine will pop up somewhere. 

• Like 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Okay, I feel bad about this - but I did not notice the Belter reference. What was it?

When Mando first got into town, Greef mentioned, "the Belters are mining the asteroid fields".

Edited by Tachi Rocinante
  • Useful 5
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

The size of the helmet is not the issue I have with this scene. I was using 'bucket' as a general term for those helmets (I've seen the term used in cosplay for Mandalorians and Clone/Stormtroopers) and not in reference to that particular model

“Bucket” is what a hockey helmet is called by players, so I was happily on board with this generic term.

I always wonder how the helmets stay on without chin straps, but I suspend a lot of disbelief with the space show.

• Like 2

Grogu crawling to snuggle with Mando and playing in the chair made the episode for me. I really love that we are seeing Din embrace his role as a parent. 

I don’t know if it’s just because it’s been so long with our a new episode but I thought Grogu was more expressive than ever. 

4 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I yelled Ezra when I saw the Space Whale...I don't care it was a sign

That was the first thing I thought of when they appeared. 

4 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I look forward to more Mandalorians, hopefully Sabine will pop up somewhere. 

Cat Please GIF by Atinum
When Mando arrived at the castle I was hoping to we would see Ursa Wren. I can not what it see Sabine in live action. 

5 hours ago, MissLucas said:

The size of the helmet is not the issue I have with this scene. I was using 'bucket' as a general term for those helmets (I've seen the term used in cosplay for Mandalorians and Clone/Stormtroopers) and not in reference to that particular model.

Buckethead is also a common insult in the Star Wars galaxy, particularly in Rebels. 

3 hours ago, mledawn said:

I always wonder how the helmets stay on without chin straps, but I suspend a lot of disbelief with the space show.

It doesn’t make any sense but there is supposed to some kind of seal. Usually there is a sound effected added when they come on and off and the helmets are supposed to have a filtration system. 

I forgot all about the book of boba get and didn’t watch it.

is that where it was explained why Grogu is not with Luke Skywalker? I rewatched the final episode and the bit where Mando gets scolded isn’t in it.

they take off their helmets to wash their hair and brush their teeth and eat don’t they?? I’m confused. Their skin would be sickly, falling off in strips. Do family members not even see one another? Do they never go to the dentist? What if they need reading glasses?

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, lucindabelle said:

is that where it was explained why Grogu is not with Luke Skywalker? I rewatched the final episode and the bit where Mando gets scolded isn’t in it.

Yes. Episode 5-7 of The Book of Boba Fett is what happened in between season 2 and 3. 

39 minutes ago, lucindabelle said:

they take off their helmets to wash their hair and brush their teeth and eat don’t they?? I’m confused.

Yes. They can take the helmets off in private. 

2 minutes ago, paigow said:

Sabine is already with Ahsoka by now??? Looking for Ezra / Thrawn

That doesn’t mean they can’t cross paths with Mando. I would be very surprised if they don’t use this season to help launch the Ashoka show. 

3 hours ago, arc said:

Also, what happened to Mando's intermediate quest to get a new memory chip for IG-11?

Side trip to Tatooine... Check in with Boba and Marshal Bullock

• Applause 2
(edited)

Yay, it’s back, with monsters, cowboys, pirates, and political intrigue:

Star Wars: The Meg-alorian

Star Wars: Gunfight at the OK Saloon

Star Wars: Dead Droid’s Chest

Star Wars: The Scottish Play

Go Go Mando!

Edited by tkc
  • Like 8

How do mandalorian find mates? So they take off their helmets when courting or do they hope for a face they’ll like? Do they get to see the face when they go to sleep?

the helmet thing is just a childrennof the watch thing no? Bo Katan certainly didn’t seem to care. It does seem superstitious and rather silly.

• Like 2

Nice fakout in the beginning.   I thought it was a flashback to Din getting helmeted.   But no, its now (well  now for the show) because Din swooped in and saved the day.   but got yelled at for returning from exile without redeeming himself.   Like saving everyone isn't enough.   Armorer:   Oh hey, yeah, I forgot there was another way to redeem yourself, obscure chapter in the Creed, if you save the whole clan from a giant alligator, you get to come back.   

Greef Karga might have gone all HIGH Magistrate but he didn't get the position on his looks alone.  

Aaaaaah my show is back.

• Like 12
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, lucindabelle said:

the helmet thing is just a childrennof the watch thing no? Bo Katan certainly didn’t seem to care. It does seem superstitious and rather silly.

Mandalorians in Clone Wars (pre Purge) were only wearing helmets in combat situations and were under the leadership of Bo Katan's sister who tried to keep Mandalore neutral and also giving pacifism a chance. Opposition by 'Old Mandalorians' adhering to more conservative views culminated in civil war. The most violent group, Death Watch, was what we'd call a terrorist group. They were led by Prez Viszla - belonging to the same clan as Paz Vizla seen in this episode and in the Boba Fett/Mando episodes. Bo Katan was also a member until she had a change of heart (it's complicated). Death Watch was later exiled and managed to survive the Purge. So far show has been reluctant to come out and establish a clear link between Death Watch and the Children of the Watch but it's heavily implied that they are the successor group, a splinter group or what Death Watch transformed into after the Purge. There's certainly more emphasis on religious aspects in the group now. Death Watch were raving about the old ways of Mandalore but had no problems removing their helmets to deliver villain speeches for example.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

So far show has been reluctant to come out and establish a clear link between Death Watch and the Children of the Watch but it's heavily implied that they are the successor group, a splinter group or what Death Watch transformed into after the Purge.

So far the clearest link between the two (other than the name) is that some of them (including the Armorer) have Maul horns on their helmets. 

I'm still wondering how they are going to reconcile all of the different factions of Mandalorians, because Din doesn't seem to know that he might be in the outlier or terrorist group.  He didn't even know until recently that other groups exist.  I think people who are in extremist groups often at least know, it's just that they don't care and still think they are the only ones who are right.  Din doesn't have that mindset, so is he going to switch sides?  Take over and form his own?  

In the very first few seconds, I thought the scene was a flashforward to Grogu getting a helmet.  Mixed feelings on that one, until my other questions are answered.  The no-squeezie-bad-baby doesn't need to be in a cult.

• Like 8

I was so sure the bit at the beginning was a flashback about Din getting his helmet and taking his vows, since we've seen flashbacks of how he first encountered the Mandalorians before and flashbacks seem to be a staple of all the Star Wars TV series. When he was interrupted before completing his vow to never take the helmet off, I was all, "Aha! Loophole! He never actually vowed!" And then adult Din showed up, so there went that theory. I'm sure that was an intentional misdirect, or else they would have had the kid be blond or red-haired, or else have a British accent or otherwise be totally unlike Din instead of casting a kid you could kind of imagine could be a young Din.

Grogu's reaction to hearing about Din being cast out and why was so sad. He has to know that Din took the helmet off at his request (he doesn't know about the other time when they were getting the info at the Imperial base, but that was still for his sake), so I'd guess he feels responsible and is aware of what a big deal it was for Din to take off the helmet for him.

The spinning in the office chair was basically every little kid visiting a parents' office.

The reaction to the space whales was interesting because he seemed to be somewhat scared, and that prompted him to go snuggle up against Dad, like a kid getting in his parents' bed after having a nightmare.

• Like 11
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, arc said:

OK, my very first thought on seeing Mando's ship enter the scene is that Mando should have used this in the climactic fight on Tattooine in the last ep of TBOBF instead of fighting on foot. Imagine having all that firepower, power that can accurately target, say, something not much bigger than those droid walkers the Pikes used, and just parking it somewhere, when you know your side is badly outgunned. (Much respect to everyone who had the sense to skip over the non-Mando parts of Boba Fett.)

Karga offering that land and title to Mando felt sketchy from jump. Like he needed a free mercenary so his best shot was to trick Mando into the job. And ... yup, needed he a marshal. That's not exactly "hanging up your blaster".

It's kinda sketchy how Din is so good at droid repair, esp for a longtime droid skeptic. Kinda makes Anakin building C-3PO as a child less impressive. But somehow I am charmed that IG-11 has a very spinal-column looking apparatus when the droid design is very mechanical and has very non-human-like articulation for a bipedal robot.

"Wave [the Darksaber] around and they'll do whatever you say." Sounds like Din's not the only one in a cult, lady.

Does Bo-Katan really meet guests by running down to the throne room and making them walk a very long hallway? Surely she doesn't hang out there on the throne when there's no company. There's nothing to do there! Unless she has a space iPad or something.

Also, what happened to Mando's intermediate quest to get a new memory chip for IG-11? I thought he needed IG-11 to scout Mandalore? Is he just going to the planet directly? It's not like he asked Bo-Katan for the component.

This is basically as much motivation as Din had for helping Boba Fett out in TBOBF. He did that for free!

I wish they fought smarter. Firing grapping hooks into a croc that big would be like five people trying to hold back a moving locomotive with ropes. They just don't have the mass to do anything about it. And that nonsense was smart compared to the Armorer trying to go at the monster with her armor-forging tongs.

What I realized is this is why the Mandalorians lost against the Empire. Their creed won't let them run away even against hopeless odds. They have to fight.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

I was so sure the bit at the beginning was a flashback about Din getting his helmet and taking his vows, since we've seen flashbacks of how he first encountered the Mandalorians before and flashbacks seem to be a staple of all the Star Wars TV series. When he was interrupted before completing his vow to never take the helmet off, I was all, "Aha! Loophole! He never actually vowed!" And then adult Din showed up, so there went that theory.

That's exactly what we thought too, including the loophole.

So instead we (Mrs Orbert and I) are wondering who all those other Mandalorians were.  They had different colored armor and stuff, so they were different sects?  Did The Armorer give them shit about taking their helmets off, too?

8 hours ago, lucindabelle said:

How do mandalorian find mates? So they take off their helmets when courting or do they hope for a face they’ll like? Do they get to see the face when they go to sleep?

I think that they go on “Love is Blind” over on netflix.

• LOL 8
(edited)
On 3/1/2023 at 1:57 AM, Peace 47 said:

This is exactly what I came to say, down to the serotonin hit! I may have yelled out to Mr. Market "THERE IS AN ENTIRE ROOM FULL OF BABU FRIKS!"

It was a perfect mix of serious (Din wanting to redeem himself) and the hilarity of Grogu doing what Grogu does best. The chair spinning had me legit giggling.

Not sure about the Bo Katan stuff yet. She's super pissy about the Dark Saber isn't she?

Edited by RunningMarket
  • Like 8
  • LOL 2
8 minutes ago, RunningMarket said:

Not sure about the Bo Katan stuff yet. She's super pissy about the Dark Saber isn't she?

I feel like super pissy is her default state. 

7 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Armorer:   Oh hey, yeah, I forgot there was another way to redeem yourself, obscure chapter in the Creed, if you save the whole clan from a giant alligator, you get to come back.

Indeed. They kind of gloss over the fact that if Mando had shown up a few minutes later than he had, he would not have to worry about answering to the Armorer or anyone else there because they'd all be spicy, crunchy space gator snacks.

I was saying last season that the Starfighter needs a base of operations to launch from and here are some space pirates offering one to Mando! He'll figure out a way to capture that thing.

I loved Babu Frik so seeing a whole family of his kind was awesome.

Mando really should just get a new droid. For that matter, is it only droids who can do this? Aren't there probes or other technology you could use? Or for that matter, take one of his "dead or alive" bounties down there and see what happens. It's not like he has any particular attachment to the sanctity of life, he killed at least eight people in this episode alone.

1 minute ago, Dani said:

I feel like super pissy is her default state. 

I haven't seen The Clone Wars yet but as I understand she had the Dark Saber before but didn't win it in combat so things fell apart with the other Mandalorians. And then in this show, she tells them she's going to go get it and comes back empty handed because she somehow managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Since then she's been sitting around brooding while the others have gone off to accomplish what they can. Hey Bo Katan, has it occurred to you that you kind of suck at this? Mando may stumble often but at least he fails in an upward trajectory. And he has a generally positive attitude even when he does encounter random setbacks.

• Like 3

In Bo Katan's defense, she fought long and hard for Mandalore - once she had realized that the Death Watch were a bunch of traitors. She should be over 50 now - super pissy does wonders for your complexion, Sackhoff being a good decade younger than the character also helps. And just when she came close to uniting the exiled Mandalorians (via ownership of the Dark Saber) she loses saber and support to someone whose whole knowledge of Mandalorian history and culture seems to consist of not much more than 'This is the Way' and some semi-mythic tidbits he only just learned. Dammit Mando, google your own history! 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, lucindabelle said:

Maybe this is why foundlings are so important to them. They have a hard time making new little Mandalorians and have to adopt.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2