Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E02: The Guy Who Gets A Second Chance

The semi-finalists take part in a rigorous Los Angeles subway challenge to model outfits covering various seasons. Later, things get steamy during a nighttime photo shoot at a beach where the 14 finalists are chosen by Tyra and the judges.

Ick. Romeo made it. He is so nasty. I wish Danny had stayed and Romeo gone. The Serbian girl isn't much better.  I like the new photographer - Tsai? I'm not sure who I like in this group.  

• Love 6

Adam and Romeo were picked for the drama. Romeo is ugly inside and out.

This new photographer is worth 2 Mr. Jays, 15 Johnny Wujicks and 1,742 Bryan Boys. Kari has kinda an ugly face.  Ivy I don't get, they are saying she's some super editorial model--she looks like a suburban Mom.

I TOTALLY missed that there was a chick named OLAY!  Her Mom liked to watched daytime TV commercials when she was in utero, I assume. Why are there no model profiles and photos on the website?

Who names their kid L'Meese.  WTF does that mean? Why are they taking 26 and 27 year olds?

Jamie Lee--drugs or stupidity?  Discuss.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 5

I wonder if it's not just his hair color - but looking at Romeo makes me sort of queasy.

Jealous if Marijana's wideer-set eyes. Too about about about her stank personality.

If Tyra and Miss Jay found [Whats-her-face] unintelligible, I wonder how they'd feel about the DancingDolz.

The pool of contestants gets worse and worse. I think that adding guys to the show for some reason seems to have created an even more unlikeable cast. Having female and male models compete against each other is stupid because they don't compete against each other for jobs in real life. I agree with what someone here said in that the women and men should have a separate competition. I'd watch both.

The most unappealing of the unappealing made it into the contest. I don't get the hype about Mirjana. She has an obnoxious personality. Another young woman is barely legible when she speaks. The guys are a bunch of bros, except for the requisite house homophobe and the other guy who's decided the "in thing" for him is to pretend he's a witch, a Goth, and bisexual. Tyra's packed every stereotype into this Cycle. Unbelievable.

Also I don't see the problem with Matthew correcting people when it comes to his name. People butcher my name all the time or assign nicknames to me without asking if I'm fine with that. People's names are an important part of their identity and when someone thinks (s)he is above being respectful about it, it's downright obnoxious. I don't care what you two do for a living, Yu and Kelly. Do you teach at an inner city school? Are you a physician? A scientist? A Philanthropist? No, you both work in fashion. You're not out making a difference in anyone's life. Turn down the attitude.

I was happy that Miss J said something about Matthew wanting to be called by his name. I don't think Miss J gives out that kind of attitude. Sometimes I like what Kelly has to say, other times she's bitchier than she needs to be.

It's early in the season and I'm still trying to sort out contestants' names.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 11

Best line of the night, from photographer Tsai to Romeo:  "Don't bother trying to flex your muscles, because you have none."  Brilliant.  I may watch the encore just to hear that again.  

Was anyone else surprised to see the low key black guy that wasn't Tyson Beckford redux or Denzel?  I didn't notice him last episode.  I don't remember him getting any screen time.  He got compliments for his posing, so  I was hoping that he might be a surprise pick to stay.  Alas, he probably didn't bring enough drama.  

I was hoping for Danny to stay, too, and I'm glad that Lennox did.  My daughter and I both were gleeful when Jamie Rae was cast off.  If she hadn't been, we were looking forward to calling her Crystal Meth Barbie for the duration of the season.  

• Love 3

Not only are most of these models too old (with the guys it isn't as big of an issue as it is with female models) they are also either too tall or too short (yes, you can be too tall to be a model).

Of course, this is Tyra's show so we'll just pretend it's a reality show for her ego with maybe some elements of modeling thrown in for good measure.

Personalities aside, I still go with my observations from last week:

If she has to crown a male, I'd settle for Will even though all he'll be good for is niche modeling at best.  I prefer Matt looks-wise but his height would keep him from doing too much work probably (same with Will) and Ben who's about right height-wise just doesn't seem to not always look derpy.

For the girls, I like Shei and Ivy.  I'm neutral on Chantelle though she does have a fanbase, I see only niche modeling for her as well though until the novelty of having been on ANTM wears off, possibly Lenox and Mirjana though really the girls in particular are too old.
Edited by milkyaqua
  • Love 1

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who's bored with the hookup element of ANTM. So many other reality shows I avoid work this angle well enough.

I don't expect any top models to come from this show, but there used to be a little more realism with the girls who were selected. A few of them had real potential. Now it's completely about the drama and some crappy photoshoots.

• Love 2

What was up with that convoluted reveal process?  Why pair them up randomly then send one back?  Are they not giving you enough excitement already (this show is almost like X-Factor USA for me at this point- so much noise, so little being said)?

I appreciate the Jamie Rae comments in this thread because last week I felt like an ass for suggesting she had meth-face.  Now, I don't feel so bad 'cause it's not just me.  

I didn't understand the yelling between Romeo, the guy who was on before, and that one girl.  But if the guy who was on before yelled more he would have made it through, probably over frat dude.  Speaking of frat dude- was he on The Real World/Road Rules Challenge at some point, after it was just The Challenge?  That's what he reminds me of.  And man do I have questionable taste in tv shows.

• Love 1

Also I don't see the problem with Matthew correcting people when it comes to his name. People butcher my name all the time or assign nicknames to me without asking if I'm fine with that. People's names are an important part of their identity and when someone thinks (s)he is above being respectful about it, it's downright obnoxious. I don't care what you two do for a living, Yu and Kelly. Do you teach at an inner city school? Are you a physician? A scientist? A Philanthropist? No, you both work in fashion. You're not out making a difference in anyone's life. Turn down the attitude.

That annoyed me, because the photographer relayed what happened completely incorrectly, and butchered it enough that it made me wonder if he was purposely trying to cause an issue. Matthew didn't say "it's MATTHEW!", he said "actually, I prefer Matthew", which is so not a huge deal. They were just told they'd be seeing the guy the whole season, so it's not completely out of line for Matthew to try and assert what his name is now, especially because I'm sure most people naturally try and shorten his name.

Adam and Romeo are clearly there for the drama, which is unfortunate, because I can't stand either one. Adam is that sad guy who can't leave behind his college days.

I almost feel a little bad for Jamie, because I feel like she was brought on as a joke. There is no way they were ever seriously planning on taking her. I'm also surprised Ben made it over Josh, because while both had terrible photos, Josh is better looking.

• Love 5

I didn't see what the big deal was Matthew saying his name was Matthew and not Matt.  Because we all know, that given her druthers, Tyra's going to butcher and change these hamsters names anyway.

Also Korea and Austria did the girls/boys thing better.

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Love 2

Love Yu Tsai! He gives great feedback on the photos and is hilarious. I almost died laughing when he told Romeo to not bother flexing his muscles because he has none. Vitiligo girl reminds me of the wind tunnel winner from cycle 12 (forgot her name) but she was fierce. I think the other girls are either too short or too old. I did feel bad for the guy who tried out twice, the farmer who milks cows, and Meth face/stripper Barbie, but she has to be delusional if she thought she would ever be chosen. This cycle's semi-finalists are honestly really boring. Miss the good old days of throwing beer on weaves, cycle 12 Angelea cat fighting with dumb as bricks Sandra, the super delusional Christian girl from cycle 13, and Lady Cat from cycle 4.

Edited by Mattipoo
  • Love 1

That annoyed me, because the photographer relayed what happened completely incorrectly, and butchered it enough that it made me wonder if he was purposely trying to cause an issue. Matthew didn't say "it's MATTHEW!", he said "actually, I prefer Matthew", which is so not a huge deal. They were just told they'd be seeing the guy the whole season, so it's not completely out of line for Matthew to try and assert what his name is now, especially because I'm sure most people naturally try and shorten his name.

Adam and Romeo are clearly there for the drama, which is unfortunate, because I can't stand either one. Adam is that sad guy who can't leave behind his college days.

I almost feel a little bad for Jamie, because I feel like she was brought on as a joke. There is no way they were ever seriously planning on taking her. I'm also surprised Ben made it over Josh, because while both had terrible photos, Josh is better looking.

Then Yu pulled that "I work in fashion, so I'm important" card and was like "I'm the photographer. I can call him what I want." No, you shouldn't. You should call him by his full name because it's not putting you out to say one extra syllable. Also it's the polite thing to do when you're asked nicely.

You're right. Matthew wasn't being a jerk about it. In fact, I almost couldn't hear him say that, until I turned the volume up on my TV.

Adam and Romeo can go home at any time.

Something's not quite right with Jamie Rae, but I suspected that she wouldn't make the cut. However, her personality didn't bother me too much. She seems nicer than the rest so, of course, she had to go home.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 5
What was up with that convoluted reveal process?  Why pair them up randomly then send one back?  Are they not giving you enough excitement already (this show is almost like X-Factor USA for me at this point- so much noise, so little being said)?

That was a stupid idea to begin with, and then made even worse by having Tyra explain the math to the hamsters, because apparently some of them didn't grok that if 14 out of 21 become finalists, and a finalist is always chosen from a pair, some of the 21 will have to be called up multiple times to make 14 pairs. 

Since this episode's title is "The Guy Who Gets A Second Chance", I really thought Danny would make it through. I'm not necessarily a fan of his personality, but he has more modeling potential in his little finger than Adam and Romeo combined. He's like a prettier, more toned version of James Franco. Now I'm going to root for Matthew, and maybe ex-NFL player as long as he doesn't get too full of himself.

None of the girls wow me, though Lenox does have beautiful, natural hair. Which of course means Tyra's going to cut it all off and/or give her a peed-on-snow color for her make-over. 

• Love 6

I don't think Romeo deserves his bad rap because he was minding his own business in conversation with one girl while Not-B-O-S-S or whatever his name is (I honestly don't recall) saw an opportunity to mock Romeo to try and look like a bigger man and fit in with the bro dudes. That's why the girls all stuck up for Romeo and no one else has a problem with him (yet). Admittedly, I'm partial to him because his is probably the freshest look of the bunch.

Speaking of the bro dudes...God. I was reminded why I stopped dating guys my age (still in my 20s by a hair) when two of them started "bro-ing" together and proudly called it that.

I agree that Jamie seemed nice but you couldn't really argue with the "vacant" description. She did seem to only have an "empty" far and away expression. I'm confident she will be just fine.

Edited by anonymiss
I liked that they sat and discussed each model together during judging.  I hope that continues and that whole point system/social media judgment crap is gone for good. That was ridiculous and told us nothing.

Me too! I just wish Tyra listened to Yu Tsai's expert opinion more--but then she wouldn't be Tyrant.

• Love 2

I felt sorry for Josh who seems super serious about this show and Danny who handled the rejection well. Felt sorry for Jamie Rae and the crying girl too.I do not recall seeing Olay, Mark or Zaquan before.

Did they even show the photos?

Edited by Nonlinear
  • Love 3

I felt sorry for Josh who seems super serious about this show and Danny who handled the rejection well. Felt sorry for Jamie Rae and the crying girl too.I do not recall seeing Olay, Mark or Zaquan before.

Did they even show the photos?

I agree. I was sad when Tyra didn't pick Josh. He's goodlooking and he genuinely wanted to be there. I'm sure he wouldn't have brought enough drama for the producers and Tyra to keep him around. He might be one of the only likeable contestants ANTM's had in a while. He seemed to pooh-pooh being a farmer, but there's nothing wrong with being a farmer! They feed the rest of us.

• Love 3

Maybe I'm old but I didn't like Romeo's neck tattoo. I have no qualms about tattoos in general, but somehow all the way up to neck really bugs me and I can't help but look at him and think someone like Burberry or Calvin Klein wouldn't hire him. As a model (as opposed to a sports figure who also models *David Beckham*), aren't you supposed to make the clothes look good and in a way fade into the background - be a chameleon?  It would take a lot of cosmetics to cover up all that tattoing.  

This is the first cycle I've watched with boys and girls together. I don't like the dynamic. It is too much like Real World with modeling to me. 

I liked that they sat and discussed each model together during judging.  I hope that continues and that whole point system/social media judgment crap is gone for good. That was ridiculous and told us nothing.

That was why I stopped watching the last season I watched (which I thought was 20 but now realize it was 19). The social media crap just irritated me too much. 

Wow, they all just seemed to coalesce last week into a mass of loud, incoherent, and obnoxious delusion.  Except Will and Lennox.  I like them both. As long as Will doesn't get too Diva and Lennox doesn't go mean-girl.

Too old, too broken looking, too much fake hair and too many just looking for easy "fame".  I watched all of it except the judging discussion and the photo shoot with the sound off.  MUCH better than last week, when I actually listened.   

I hope we're done with social media, too.  And scoring.  I'm not sure how use of social media in the past helps the ratings today.  Plus, the judges' scores seemed to be either random or calculated to ensure that a certain person would go home anyway, so there was really no point.

• Love 3

I think this competition should have a cut-off age. I get it, Tyra is not "model-young" anymore and wants to cast "older" people, but models generally begin their careers at like 16-18.  There are FREAKING 27-year-olds in this cast! They'll have, what, 2 years of being able to work at all before retiring?  Not that any of these poor souls will have real modeling careers by winning this sad excuse for a competitive modeling show, but it still bothers me! 

I usually don't like guys like Adam, but I think there is something very fragile about him just beneath the surface that we're going to see break during this show. His "I think I'm going home" lamentations after the photo-shoot were very AGAINST anything he has been shown to say prior to that moment and showed a vulnerability that I liked.

I don't like any of the girls except for maybe Mariyana when she is silent and makeup-less. 

I was surprised that they didn't keep Danny for the drama! and for redemption angle. 

I was also surprised that they didn't keep Jamie Rae so that Tyra could have a very special moment - a heart to heart talk with her about her addiction to make-up and lack of self-esteem. 

What was up with that convoluted reveal process?  Why pair them up randomly then send one back?  Are they not giving you enough excitement already (this show is almost like X-Factor USA for me at this point- so much noise, so little being said)?

If Tyra just read off the 14 picks they wouldn't have been able to get the hamsters hopes up then crush them.  Plus this method made it possible for Tyra to talk more - saying 2 names each time instead of one.  Not good reasons in real life, but this show never had anything to do with real life.

• Love 1

The subway seasonal clothing challenge was so stupid but it made me laugh. I was also encouraged to see that while some people have no idea what they're doing, there might be some actual models in the bunch. There were some good photos in the mix, mostly from the girls though maybe 3 or 4 of the guys had a good photo or two.

Danny had some potential. Was he too short for them to keep him in the competition?

I do not understand where Romeo's attitude is coming from unless there's a lot of stuff they didn't show us. Why go after Danny?

So many cliches. Apparently most of the contestants have at least seen one season. Couldn't they have come up with some original thoughts?

Yu Tsai is so mean. But also right. And possibly helpful? I like him so far. But I agree that he made too much of a thing of a "Matthew" thing. Hopefully he just took it the wrong way after a frustrating experience with the first few models.

I do not remember Zaquan from episode 1. 

Raelia and Shei are standing out right now as strong models. Ben is OK. It was hard to judge them with them not showing most of the photos.

How is Romeo going to book jobs with all those tattoos? If they want the tattoos it's great but otherwise you're going to have to cover them up for every job.

The pairs thing was more idiotic than the subway challenge. I hope they don't do this the rest of the season. I wish Josh and Danny would have made it. At least over Adam and Romeo. They seemed to have more potential. I can't say I'm sad to see anyone else go because they got very little screentime so I don't know who they are.

I usually don't like guys like Adam, but I think there is something very fragile about him just beneath the surface that we're going to see break during this show. His "I think I'm going home" lamentations after the photo-shoot were very AGAINST anything he has been shown to say prior to that moment and showed a vulnerability that I liked.

Is Adam really talking about getting a 1510 on his SAT's next week at 26 years old? Dude... I read the article about his alleged homophobia and I have to admit, it's turned me off but if they find a way to really sell the redemption arc I'm prepared to not write him off just yet.

Tyra's outfit this week at judging... shiny satin track suit jacket with glitter sleeves. Giant H&M sun pattern spiky earrings. That hair. Girl, what is up with you?

#My Purse is Sacred

• Love 1

I'd say I can see why they wouldn't go with Josh since while very handsome he's also very plain, his complexion isn't the best and his body isn't quite fitness and isn't quite fashion.. but that applies to Ben as well and he made it as well(as much as I viscerally dislike Adam, I can at least give him that I could actually see him doing fitness modeling). But basically this entire set seems a bit blah at best.

I was actively annoyed by Danny not making it in. Because there is a 90% chance of a guy winning this cycle(because Tyra outright stated last time she wanted a guy to win) and Danny definitely has the best overall look of the guys there.

Maybe Yu made such a fuss out of Matthew wanting to be called Matthew and not Matt because he wanted to be the only "Yu" - so no "Math-yu", just Matt.  In coming weeks, we will find out that he requires everyone to use first names when talking to each other so that no one at the photoshoot says "you."  I can just imagine the exchange --

Model A (speaking to Model B): How did you do on the shoot?

Model B: I thi-

Yu (yelling): Who said Yu?

Model A (timidly): I did.  I'm sorry, it will never happ-

Yu: Get out!

Model: But I haven't ---

Yu: Get out right now! No photos for you!  I am the only Yu!  Does everyone understand now?  (takes a deep breath) Okay, Matt, you are up next.

Matthew: I prefer to be called Ma--um, yes, I'm Matt.  Where do you want me?

• Love 1

I forgot this show was on earlier in the week...late to the party again...

I'm going to assume they scrubbed the shit (literally) out of those LA metro stations. Or is it really that clean? It reminded me of certain European cities' subway systems I've been in...and the marked difference between them and New York's, Chicago's, etc.

So Yu Tsai is this season's Mr. J? Okay.

I'm still not really liking or rooting for any of these people by default. They're going to have to make me root for them. Some people (Romeo) are already way, WAY back in the pack. Others might have a chance with me. I was hoping Mirjana would be cool because she's bringing that special Eastern European flavor of bad-ass but next week's preview isn't looking too promising.

I've got relatives whose names contain apostrophes, and relatives whose names are phonetically spelled. It's usually one or the other though (unlike L'Meese).

I don't see the problem with Matthew correcting people when it comes to his name. People butcher my name all the time or assign nicknames to me without asking if I'm fine with that. People's names are an important part of their identity and when someone thinks (s)he is above being respectful about it, it's downright obnoxious. I don't care what you two do for a living, Yu and Kelly. Do you teach at an inner city school? Are you a physician? A scientist? A Philanthropist? No, you both work in fashion. You're not out making a difference in anyone's life. Turn down the attitude.

I could not agree more. People try to abbreviate my name sometimes and that always teaches me something about them and their overinflated sense of their place in the universe. Same thing here.

I was looking forward to seeing Jamie Rae's inevitable melt-down when they cut those ratty extensions off her head at makeover time but I am sure someone else will come through with that.

And Mr. homophobe frat boy cannot get off my TV fast enough to suit me.

• Love 4
Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou, Romeo? Unfortunately, on this season's ANTM.

Wherefore means why, not where. And there's no comma between thou and the last Romeo. In the following sentence, Juliet asks him to deny his father and refuse his name.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 2

Romeo to me comes off like someone who went to one of those 'how to be a Reality star' courses. He has a ridiculous gimmick in the witchcraft thing(not Wicca, not New Age religion... literal carries a book of spells around witchcraft). He immediately picks a fight. I dunno, it just seems very 'person who knows the Reality show game' to me.

• Love 2

Given that I was making a bad joke, I wasn't concerned with syntax or context. I think the majority of people assign the same cursory interpretation to that phrase. However, the vast majority of people also do not appear to know the difference between "your/you're" and "loose/lose."

My pet peeve is inappropriate apostrophe use. I've tried to explain to my supervisor the difference between plural and possessive but her emails still begin with "Dear Officer's and Staff."

To return to the topic, I still can't decide whether I want Romeo or Adam to get the boot first. Adam seems a lot worse than Danny, so I find it surprising that Romeo doesn't seem to loathe him.

• Love 1

To return to the topic, I still can't decide whether I want Romeo or Adam to get the boot first. Adam seems a lot worse than Danny, so I find it surprising that Romeo doesn't seem to loathe him.

I think it is because Danny was smaller than Romeo, and Adam is bigger.  It is always easier for bullies to pick on someone they think they could beat up. 

• Love 4