Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

Robbie Robertson! this one hurts.  “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” is my favorite of theirs.  The video of them doing it live is amazing.

Levon’s probably waiting for Robbie to grab a guitar so they can start a new session.  RIP.

• Like 3
  • Sad 9
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Superclam said:

Johnny Hardwick, best known as the voice of Dale Gribble, has passed. 

https://www.tmz.com/2023/08/10/king-of-the-hill-dale-johnny-hardwick-voice-actor-dead-dies/

Dammit Dale 😭

He may have been a paranoid dumbass, but he had heart. He loved Nancy and Joseph so much that I’m still torn whether it was a good thing or a bad thing that he never figured out she cheated on him repeatedly with John Redcorn.

• Like 3
  • Sad 6
  • Love 1

I love the doc Searching For Sugar Man and can't recommend it enough to those that haven't seen it.  Same with The Last Waltz.  I'm gutted about Robbie Robertson, I mean you expect it with age, but somehow because you still listen to their music they seem frozen in time.  

And yeah..Glenn Frey was a jerk.  Talented...but a major jerk.

• Like 6
16 hours ago, CherryMalotte said:

I love the doc Searching For Sugar Man and can't recommend it enough to those that haven't seen it.  Same with The Last Waltz.  I'm gutted about Robbie Robertson, I mean you expect it with age, but somehow because you still listen to their music they seem frozen in time.  

And yeah..Glenn Frey was a jerk.  Talented...but a major jerk.

Don Henley’s much much worse.

I give Frey a pass, because he lived with pain most of his adult life.  As someone who has constant pain (not from rheumatoid arthritis, but osteoarthritis), it makes you surly and less patient.

• Like 5
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 1
35 minutes ago, roamyn said:

As someone who has constant pain (not from rheumatoid arthritis, but osteoarthritis), it makes you surly and less patient.

I'm sorry you're coping with that. This is what my husband is going through now.  I hadn't known that about Glenn Frey.  But I totally agree unless you've lived in a world where you are in constant pain it's hard to understand how that can affect someone.  And not in a good way.

• Like 8
On 8/9/2023 at 1:26 PM, Laura Holt said:

RIP.  Levon Helm and Rick Danko, tragic early deaths both of them, were the great voices of The Band and Robertson the great song writer.

I hope people still remember how beloved and respected The Band was by their peers.  I loved them and always wanted them to stay together longer than they did - but what a legacy!

I think Garth Hudson is the only band member left living, but he is in rather frail condition.

• Like 11
12 hours ago, magdalene said:

I hope people still remember how beloved and respected The Band was by their peers.  I loved them and always wanted them to stay together longer than they did - but what a legacy!

Agreed. My sister went to see The Last Waltz at least 10 times.  A sad but timely reminder of what to give her for her upcoming birthday.

• Like 5

Wow. (Via ESPN's Michael Fletcher)

'Blind Side' subject Oher alleges Tuohys made millions off lie

The 14-page petition, filed in Shelby County, Tennessee, probate court, alleges that Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy, who took Oher into their home as a high school student, never adopted him. Instead, less than three months after Oher turned 18 in 2004, the petition says, the couple tricked him into signing a document making them his conservators, which gave them legal authority to make business deals in his name.

The petition further alleges that the Tuohys used their power as conservators to strike a deal that paid them and their two birth children millions of dollars in royalties from an Oscar-winning film that earned more than $300 million, while Oher got nothing for a story "that would not have existed without him." In the years since, the Tuohys have continued calling the 37-year-old Oher their adopted son and have used that assertion to promote their foundation as well as Leigh Anne Tuohy's work as an author and motivational speaker.

• Mind Blown 16
  • Sad 4
4 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Wow. (Via ESPN's Michael Fletcher)

'Blind Side' subject Oher alleges Tuohys made millions off lie

I remember back in the day reading an excerpt of the book in a Reader's Digest and thinking something about the Tuohys seemed a bit off but not really being able to pinpoint what seemed off other than some of the things they said about him seemed disrespectful/dismissive and very self-aggrandizing for themselves to me even as a teenager. I would never have guessed anything to this extent, but I am not surprised there was more to the story than they tried to present. 

• Like 14
  • Useful 1

Ugh. I wish I could say that surprises me but despite The Blind Side being a "feel good" movie, I always thought the Tuohy's motives weren't entirely altruistic. If Michael hadn't been so good at football I doubt they would have been willing to take him in. They saw a cash cow in a boy who didn't really have a stable home and took advantage of him. I don't think they are evil so much as just selfish. They probably think they deserve all the money for being such good people and giving the poor boy a home. I hope he gets what he's asking for. They 100% knew what they were doing and took advantage of someone who didn't.

• Like 13
  • Applause 4

After seeing the movie, I read Michael Lewis' book, "The Blind Side," upon which the film was based, and I also read Michael Oher's memoir, "I Beat the Odds." While I wouldn't go so far as to label them outright discrepancies, Mr. Oher definitely had different takes on many aspects of his life story, from those that appeared in the film. Based on his book, I can't say that I'm completely shocked by today's news. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 5

It seems that the Tuohys personified the old saying that 'if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is'.

I'm sad that Mr. Oher didn't seem to have gained a family he could trust after all he'd been through!

• Like 9
  • Sad 3
1 minute ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Ugh, The Blind Side has always turned me off. The shamelessly blatant White Savior angle is simply nauseating to me, and, paraphrasing you, they paint poor Michael Oher as a complete cypher who has exactly one thing going for him: he can throw a ball. 

I'm not defending the movie or disputing the ugly allegations, but Michael Oher was not a quarterback -- he was a big tackle on the line, so he didn't throw a ball.  

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
2 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I'm not defending the movie or disputing the ugly allegations, but Michael Oher was not a quarterback -- he was a big tackle on the line, so he didn't throw a ball.  

Sorry, I'm not a football person. My fault, forgive my ignorance.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Sandra Bullock just lost her longtime partner a little over a week ago who she was helping care for to ALS. I think that was previously mentioned in this thread.

Meanwhile some of these people on Twitter are wanting her Oscar to be revoked over a character she played 14 years ago. She'd probably give back all the Oscars in the word for him to have never gotten sick in the first place. 

rsz_1sb.jpg

• Like 14
  • Sad 6
  • Applause 2

I was over Sandra Bullock when she married that motorcycle dude Jesse James, who was photographed giving Nazi salutes.  It was before they were married but he must have given her some clues of his behavior beforehand.  So that's just my take on her.

• Sad 2
2 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

That movie never sat right with me either.  Also, I never bought into Sandra Bullock's "America's sweetheart" image.  

I don't know what she's like in her personal life,  but fwiw, my husband used to work in the industry and we have friends who still do and it was common to hear that she was great to work with.

• Like 22
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Anyone saying she should return her Oscar is beyond stupid. Like borderline should be in a facility because they could be a danger to themselves due to not  having a working brain.

The real person and any issues they may or may not have going on have absolutely ZERO relevance to the performance.

• Like 12
  • Applause 12

I really don't get the push for Sandy to give back her Oscar over this.  Not when the Academy has seen fit to bestow the Best Actor and Actress awards on actors who have portrayed (checks notes) Idi Amin and Aileen Wuornos.  

• Like 20
4 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I don't know what she's like in her personal life,  but fwiw, my husband used to work in the industry and we have friends who still do and it was common to hear that she was great to work with.

While that's interesting to know, I still never bought that "America's sweetheart" image.  Just my opinion.

And I'm not saying that she should return her Oscar either.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My understanding is that if the Tuohy family had legally adopted Oher, since the family are big boosters at Ole Miss, it would have ended his eligibility to play football at the college. 

It's a book, and then scripted, so writers couldn't put everything.    Oher did come from a sad background, and was helped by a lot of people to get an education, and later a career, not just the family that he lived with, and seemed to have a good relationship with for years.    The family didn't get rich off of the book or movie, they are very wealthy from their businesses and have been for years. 

• Useful 6