Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

I mean anyone who heard today's news and didn't immediately think of Happy Gilmore has not seen Happy Gilmore.

That said Bob Barker and The Price is Right was a Gen X/Millennial ritual for many a sick day. RIP

• Like 20
1 hour ago, kittykat said:

I mean anyone who heard today's news and didn't immediately think of Happy Gilmore has not seen Happy Gilmore.

That said Bob Barker and The Price is Right was a Gen X/Millennial ritual for many a sick day. RIP

Same thing with Jim Perry on Sale of The Century, and of course Pat and Vanna on Wheel.

The one host i haven't mentioned yet is Bert Convy on Super Password. A worthy successor for Allen Ludden

Edited by danderson400
  • Like 5
On 8/23/2023 at 4:04 PM, magicdog said:

Perhaps, but it's not good for anyone to constantly be taken advantage of, especially for their money.  The last thing I want to see for anyone is to have their illness exploited, stolen and devoured by so called family while the victim is left in the streets.  Heaven knows we have enough of that now.

And how are we “protecting” all of our millions of citizens already on the streets? Why should she get any more protection than they do?

• Like 2

It should be noted that Bob Barker had been married to one Dorothy Jo Gideon Barker (1924-1981) from 1945 until her 1981 death  from lung cancer. Although he had some long term bonds afterward,  Mr. Barker would never remarry. IOW wound up being a widower longer than he'd been a husband. Of course, what's interesting is that it had been Mrs. Barker who had inspired him to fight for animal welfare due to her own love of animals.

• Like 4
  • Useful 7
1 hour ago, kathyk24 said:

I feel awful for her family. Her husband was named Christofor LLoyd not the actor from Back to the future. She also had two sons. When I learned she died I thought of John DeLancie they played a couple on Days of Our Lives.

She was amazing on Days of Our Lives.  I hope her family and friends find comfort in their loving memories.

• Like 3

So sad to hear about both Bob Barker and Arleen Sorkin!

Bob Barker I grew up with - as a kid watching The Price is Right when I was home from school!  When he turned up in his hilarious role as himself in Happy Gilmore, he developed a new generation of fans.  Watching those TPIR shows in which college aged guys would appear, they'd be afraid to come too close to Bob, and they'd say, it was because they'd seen what he could do on Happy Gilmore!  Bob must have gotten a kick out of that!!

Sorkin I knew more by name as I wasn't watching much of soaps, but I remember her better as the voice behind Harley Quinn on Batman: The Animated Series.

RIP to both!

Edited by magicdog
  • Like 4

Production Designer and Art Director Charles "Chip" Dox who won Daytime Emmy's for Days of Our Lives (1997) and General Hospital (2011) and worked on touring companies for Elton John, Earth, Wind, and Fire, The Beach Boys, Jackson Browne, and Chicago has died, age 80. 

https://deadline.com/2023/08/chip-dox-dies-former-general-hospital-production-designer-art-director-1235530948/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/chip-dox-dead-days-of-our-lives-general-hospital-1235578154/

https://www.soapsindepth.com/posts/general-hospital/general-hospital-production-designer-charles-chip-dox-dead-at-80

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Sad 5

“John Warnock, Adobe Co-Founder, Dies At 82”
cartoonbrew.com/rip/john-warnock-adobe-co-founder-dies-at-82-231673.html

As important as inventing the PDF and desktop publishing were, he did — and was — so much more, including:

…The impact that Warnock and his colleagues have had on the world of animation is hard to overstate. Adobe is the publisher of software including Photoshop, Premiere, and After Effects, which are used in nearly every studio pipeline in the industry…

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/rip/john-warnock-adobe-co-founder-dies-at-82-231673.html

and:

…In a video put out by Adobe in 2014 about the history of Adobe Illustrator, Warnock explained the motivation to develop the Postscript language and the Illustrator software.

• “I joined Xerox in 1978, and their goal was to make the office of the future. We had text editors, email, networks, and laser printers. What they didn’t have was graphic engines that could make arbitrary graphics. They were computer scientists, and they were imagining what computer scientists wanted to do. They weren’t imagining what the world was trying to do from a creative point of view, and they were simply not making tools to address that community.”

Warnock’s wife Marva was a graphic designer, which provided Warnock with that other point of view.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/rip/john-warnock-adobe-co-founder-dies-at-82-231673.html

See also: 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
  • Useful 4

I’m speechless………Jimmy’s music and wonderful personality made an indelible impression upon me.  I have so many happy memories because of Jimmy.  I think he knew what he meant to so many people.  I only saw him in concert once, but it was an event of a lifetime.  This is one of my favorites. I tear up every time I hear it.  Thank you, Jimmy! You will be sorely missed. The song mentions Labor Day weekend show,  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 6
  • Sad 11

I saw Mr. Buffet on a flight between Oahu and the Big Island in the mid 80's and was surprised how much younger he looked in person than he had on his album covers. However,  he also seemed incredibly shy so I  (and, thankfully, the rest of the the other passengers) just left him be!

Yes, it's sad and shocking that he's no longer with us (and seriously, since he seemed so vital in my one encounter, I thought that meant he'd have a much longer lifespan). However, it's good that his loved ones were with him to send him off when he left this world. RIP, Mr. Buffett!

• Like 6
  • Love 3

I saw Jimmy Buffet way back in the day when he didn’t have a band behind him. It was just him, with his guitar, in a community college gym. His playing was good and I became a life long fan. I hope you made it to Paradise sir. 

• Like 13
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6

I had a concert recording of Jimmy’s, and although it wasn’t my favorite of his (that was his ode to his then gf/later-wife, “Come Monday”), the moment when he spoke of being in Margaritaville & joked, “Please stand for your national anthem” before starting the song — always made me laugh.  And tear up.

Pouring one out for you today, Jimmy.

• Like 11
  • Sad 1
  • Love 4

Just a sad day to lose someone who brought so much joy and laughter.  What a life he lived and he built a brand and a lifestyle around being laidback and enjoying life.  Seeing him in concert stays with me to this day — just so fun, with beach balls bouncing around throughout the audience.  Thank you, Jimmy — you will be dearly missed.  

• Like 6
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, wilsie said:

Jimmy Buffett Dead;  Margaritaville Singer Was 76 – Deadline

For some reason I couldn't get this to link.  It's a good article.

Here it is

3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I would post link for one of my other Buffett favorites, but it might be considered offensive.  Lol Still, it used to be a really fun party song.  Name is Why Don’t We Get Drunk & ……..

"Come Monday" is my favorite, too, but, yes, also love that one; with some of the shortest and most repetitive lyrics in song, you can sing along even if you're just as drunk:

• Like 7
  • LOL 2

Another tough loss to take. The past few months have been brutal, especially for music icons. 😢

I love that so many others here share my affinity for "Come Monday." It's still my favorite JB song. It was the first JB song I'd ever heard and it was on the country station in 1973. It was a few months before pop and rock radio stations picked it up.

@Spartan Girl Like you, I had the pleasure of eating at both JB's Margaritaville and Cheeseburger in Paradise restaurants and enjoyed both. In fact, I think the burger I had at CiP may be one of the three best burgers I've ever eaten. It was also the first time I'd ever had sweet potato fries (16 yrs. ago, while on vacation) and they were outstanding. I always wished there was a location closer to my home. Loved the atmosphere at both places.

Rock and roll heaven gains another great. Rest easy, Jimmy. You left us lots of great music that will live forever.

• Like 9
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I know some people won't be able to see it.

Those of us who don't have a Twitter account can still see an individual tweet if we go directly to it.  (So, if I went to Paul McCartney's page, I'd get the error message about logging in, but when I click on the link to that specific tweet of his, it comes up.)

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2

Shame to hear about Jimmy Buffett. My dad used to play "Come Monday" all the time whenever our family would be playing music around the house on the weekends and whatnot. 

Buffett also did a nice cover of a Crowded House song, so that got him some extra cool points from me: Perfect choice of song for him, too:

Nice tribute from McCartney there, too. Rest in peace, Jimmy Buffett. 

• Like 9

On one of the many articles I've read about his death, another reader commented that she'd been in a grocery store checkout line one day with her three-year-old daughter.  There was no music playing in the store but her kid began dancing and singing "Volcano."  A man came out of nowhere and sang and danced along with the daughter.  The two of them were having big fun but it made the mother a little uneasy because she didn't know this guy.  She hurriedly paid for her groceries and got out of there.  In the parking lot another customer said to her,"That was so cool!  Your kid got to sing with Jimmy Buffett!"  The mother was like WTH.  She hadn't even recognized him.

As for me, "Pencil Thin Mustache" will always be my favorite.  From one December baby to another....entertain the angels, Jimmy, we'll miss you!

Edited by Angeltoes
  • Like 2
  • Love 15

My parents practically raised me on Jimmy Buffett. As a little tot in the early to mid '70s, my wee self can remember Mom and Dad singing "Margaritaville" and they also loved "Come Monday", as do I.

Jimmy seemed - through his music - like just a fun, chill kinda guy. The world is a little less fun today.

Have your Cheeseburger In (Eternal) Paradise, Jimmy! Where you are now, it will ALWAYS be 5 o'clock somewhere.

Rest in peace and thanks for the music and memories and say hello to Mom for me!

In your honor, posting my personal favorite, mentioned above, here:

• Like 6
  • Love 10

I wonder if his death will be mentioned on Wheel of Fortune whenever the new season starts. They've had a Margaritaville week once a season for years. Sometimes the prize is winning a house in Margaritaville. 

RIP Jimmy.

He was a great singer with so many great songs. And managed to turn one of his songs into a hotels, houses and etc. That's pretty cool.

• Like 11
15 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I am surprised to say I liked her dress.

I hate it far less than I'd have expected for something she'd choose (I can't stand her), but that bow in the back is an abomination just peeking out in the picture, so I can only imagine what it looks like from behind.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I can only imagine what it looks like from behind.

Good point; I’ve only seen the front so far.

I’m a fan, but totally understand those who aren’t.  I still say, though, that the video of her singing “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” in a Q&A at ComiCon is one of the best things I’ve ever heard.

• Like 2