Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: The Dog Days of Christmas

Pallas
  • Start Topic

LOL, Dan trying to figure out the whole thing with Doris and her husband. "Oh, my god, you killed him, didn't you?" 

Their argument may have ended rather abruptly, given what seemed to be some deep-seeded issues throughout, but it's always good to see Jane Curtin, and I liked how Doris and Louise interacted in general throughout. And I also liked Dan trying to smooth things over and keep the peace. 

Beverly Rose looked really cute in her puppy outfit. I liked that her reason for acting as she did wasn't quite what Becky and Darlene thought it would be, and I liked Becky talking to her about it at the end as she did. Date or not, hopefully Becky still manages to have fun at the wedding. I wonder if we'll actually see the wedding or if it'll happen off screen. 

• Love 8

Is Beverly Rose actually supposed to be the flower girl? Seemed odd that Becky said "I bought her a flower girl dress" when the wedding is next weekend. If she was actually the flower girl why would Becky be buying the dress on her own a week before?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

As I said in the media thread, I love seeing Jane Curtin on my screen, but - even if Louise is younger than Katey, which I suspect she is - it's ridiculous to cast someone that age in this role.  If Doris was three when the Hindenburg crashed, she's indeed significantly older than Jane Curtin; hire age-appropriate old ladies, please, Hollywood (yes, there are actors in their 80s ready, willing, and able to work), instead of acting like everyone over 60 is interchangeable.

Becky trying to figure out the line in accommodating a kid's imagination/issues and putting her foot down on appropriate attire was well done.  And I love finding out the real reason Beverly Rose didn't want to go to the wedding.  Most of all:  Yay for the writers remembering Darlene barking in class.

Line of the episode:  "You got him a green card and a kid, you're not going to top that with an air fryer."

Runners up:  "Anyone want a kid?" (that one due to Lecy's perfect delivery) and "You're here because you killed him".

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1
  • Love 15

I loved this episode! It was a little weird having someone casted as Louise's mother who wasn't much older than Katey herself and I suppose why they did it was becasue Louise is a bit younger than Katey, but regularless to me it was still strange. 🤷‍♀️

On to the episode...I loved that long bit we got of Dan & Louise before the opening credits it was so sweet and adorable!! ❤️ As a shipper of them it made my heart melt. As for Louise's mother I don't like her at all and the fact that she lied to Louise just made it worse for me and I felt for Louise and I can see why she and Louise never really got along in addition I loved Dan here sticking up for his wife and I can see why he was trying to keep the peace between the two of them and he did have a point of trying to get them to make up even though as I said above I don't like Doris. The ending tag I'm not gonna lie I wish it had ended with a Dan & Louise scene because it started with one that'd been awesome for my shipper heart, but all in all it was a great episode and loved all the Dan & Louise gems we got. 

• Love 4

It amuses me that Jane Curtin and John Goodman played parents of roughly the same age kids at the same time in the 80’s.

The little girl who plays Beverly Rose has great chemistry with both Lecy and Sara. Beverly Rose is going to be a sly one as she gets older.

• Love 8

Is it just me or has the writing been a lot better this season? I'm finding the show a lot funnier, anyway. Sure, there are still things that make no sense, from a practical and financial standpoint, but I'm more willing to overlook those if I'm getting some good laughs out of the show.

I was also surprised at the callback to Darlene barking in class. If I'm not mistaken that was actually from the pilot episode.

I got a kick out of Jackie in the closing scene, she had Doris's number and wasn't going to fall for her act. 

If Doris was three when the Hindenburg crashed, she's indeed significantly older than Jane Curtin; hire age-appropriate old ladies, please, Hollywood

I'm not sure if she was supposed to be exaggerating for effect of if she was really three when the Hindenburg crashed but that would make her 88 years old. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I'm not sure if she was supposed to be exaggerating for effect of if she was really three when the Hindenburg crashed but that would make her 88 years old. 

Isn't Dan in his late 60s (if not 70s), and Louise was in or near his year in high school? (Did I imagine that?)  So Louise's mom being 88 wouldn't be much of an exaggeration.  As much as I like Jane Curtin, she does seem a bit young for the part.

• Love 6

The age thing totally pissed me off, despite the fact that I love Jane Curtin. I even googled everybody's age and learned that Estelle Parsons is 95, God love her.  I'm glad they brought her in for one last scene (if in fact the recent episode was her farewell to the show. I hope it wasn't and we will get more, preferably without Wacky Jackie.)

Two things come to mind when I think of Bev - "Craftmatic Adjustable Bev" and her telling her husband's mistress "What a shame we don't have some sort of flavored coffee to celebrate this moment in our life."

I have no idea WHAT they're going for with regard to Darlene's new house. It looks like the set of a Hallmark movie - are we supposed to believe she decorated it? Or that Becky did?  Maybe Ben? They could have gone with the angle that HE liked a nice home and didn't want it to turn into the Conner house.

Every time I see the opening credits I feel bad that they're not using the actress who plays DJ's daughter. Or DJ, for that matter.

• Love 7
49 minutes ago, opus said:

The couch looked clean I believe?

Maybe Darlene removed the stain—or flipped the cushion. I was actually a little on edge when Becky was waving that pen around as she sat on the couch. No ink on the couch! 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I don’t watch the show anymore, but a friend Told me that Becky says something that in my opinion is out of line and shows how much of a vain women this version of Becky is. 

“One that loves her, and one that's Daddy's sad little consolation prize.” 

why call a women who actually wants to be with Emilio, who wants to marry Emilio. Who is being nice enough to invite Becky to the wedding. A consolation prize that just shows how bitter and pathetic Becky is. She didn’t want Emilio, she didn’t want to be with him.  This Becky is pathetic.

• Applause 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, nokat said:

I loved seeing Jane Curtin again.

I had NO IDEA it was Jane Curtin--I really am old!

eta:  Wasn't the funeral house vintage-y?  It looked like a 50s kitchen and the front room looked kinda blah. Shme they fucked up the feel of the place.

Edited by One Tough Cookie
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, One Tough Cookie said:

eta:  Wasn't the funeral house vintage-y?  It looked like a 50s kitchen and the front room looked kinda blah. Shme they fucked up the feel of the place.

I think they were tearing down the funeral home and building a new house.

I had NO IDEA it was Jane Curtin--I really am old!

Boy do I really miss Kate and Allie. It was one of the 80s best and most under-rated sitcoms, and Jane really shined.

But all I get on TV Land is 20 hours of Two and a Half Men every week.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I think they were tearing down the funeral home and building a new house.

That was the initial plan, but then they started talking about it as a renovation instead.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

That was the initial plan, but then they started talking about it as a renovation instead.

In some places they limit how much you can change an old house. I really wouldn't be bothered by a funeral home. If there really were ghosts, I would be good.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, nokat said:

In some places they limit how much you can change an old house. I really wouldn't be bothered by a funeral home. If there really were ghosts, I would be good.

True; there are a lot of historic houses around where I live (my town has been around since the late 1600s). I know there are restrictions on what you can do with them.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
On 12/8/2022 at 10:58 PM, Winston Wolfe said:

Boy do I really miss Kate and Allie. It was one of the 80s best and most under-rated sitcoms, and Jane really shined.

Looks like someone has posted all the episodes on YouTube.

• Thanks 3
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, ams1001 said:

True; there are a lot of historic houses around where I live (my town has been around since the late 1600s). I know there are restrictions on what you can do with them.

You are really fortunate to be living in such a treasure!😊

Edited by One Tough Cookie
  • Love 5

You are really fortunate to be living in such a treasure!😊

I don't think there are any quite that old, though...there is one historical reenactment house that was built in the 1750s, and a restored Revolutionary War era house (but they're historical sites, not private homes; the War-era house is on the grounds of a state park). But 1800s, definitely. Lots of beautiful old Victorian homes.

• Useful 1
On 12/7/2022 at 11:41 PM, Bastet said:

If Doris was three when the Hindenburg crashed, she's indeed significantly older than Jane Curtin; hire age-appropriate old ladies, please, Hollywood (yes, there are actors in their 80s ready, willing, and able to work), instead of acting like everyone over 60 is interchangeable.

I thought Doris was exaggerating when she said that. I doubt she's supposed to be 88. 

Jane Curtin was great in this role. I don't have an issue with her not being much older than Katey Sagal in real life, especially since Louise has a much younger sibling. 

On 12/8/2022 at 6:07 AM, ESS said:

I loved this episode! It was a little weird having someone casted as Louise's mother who wasn't much older than Katey herself and I suppose why they did it was becasue Louise is a bit younger than Katey, but regularless to me it was still strange. 🤷‍♀️

Is it strange because you know Jane Curtin and you know how old she is? I was surprised when I heard Jane Curtin was going to play Louise's mother but when I saw her, it seemed perfectly plausible to me. 

Without knowing that these folks all played sitcom parents in the 80s, I found it quite believable that Doris is Louise's mother. What is less believable is how Louise and Dan are super close in age, yet that's true in real life. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, love2lovebadtv said:

I thought Doris was exaggerating when she said that. I doubt she's supposed to be 88. 

But the thing is, to fit with the ages of the rest of the characters, she pretty much would have to be 88, more or less. I’m just going to tell myself she has good genes and stayed out of the sun!

• Love 4
On 12/11/2022 at 12:31 PM, love2lovebadtv said:

Why not? My late older sister would be 58 and my dad is 85 and my mom is 80. If Dan is in his 60s and Louise went to school with him 88 would be a correct age for Louise's mom. For me, I just didn't realize the Hindenburg disaster was only 85 years ago. It seems like it should be so much longer ago. 

• Like 2
  • Love 4
On 12/7/2022 at 11:03 PM, UYI said:

JANE CURTIN!

I didn't realize that she and Katey Sagal were only seven years apart in age; Katey really does look incredible.

Most likely plastic surgery  versus aging normally. I think Jane Curtin looks great & Katey looks a little creepy doll-like. 

• Love 2
On 12/8/2022 at 4:47 PM, kassa said:

The age thing totally pissed me off, despite the fact that I love Jane Curtin. I even googled everybody's age and learned that Estelle Parsons is 95, God love her.  I'm glad they brought her in for one last scene (if in fact the recent episode was her farewell to the show. I hope it wasn't and we will get more, preferably without Wacky Jackie.)

Two things come to mind when I think of Bev - "Craftmatic Adjustable Bev" and her telling her husband's mistress "What a shame we don't have some sort of flavored coffee to celebrate this moment in our life."

I have no idea WHAT they're going for with regard to Darlene's new house. It looks like the set of a Hallmark movie - are we supposed to believe she decorated it? Or that Becky did?  Maybe Ben? They could have gone with the angle that HE liked a nice home and didn't want it to turn into the Conner house.

Every time I see the opening credits I feel bad that they're not using the actress who plays DJ's daughter. Or DJ, for that matter.

I had some of the same reactions. Why is DJ and his family always left out of everything?

Jane Curtin is and looks way too young to be Katey Sagal’s mother. And I hold the unpopular opinion that I don’t think Katie Sagal looks so great.  

The house.  don’t get me started on the house. They totally destroyed a beautiful Victorian to make it a cookie cutter Modern day home. And that had to have cost a fortune, who is paying for this?  these people were in poverty just recently, and Darlene  does not even have a job.   

yes, we need to do away completely with wacky Jackie. She was horrible in the Diner this episode.

and the couch, miraculously, cleaned itself !

On 12/8/2022 at 10:58 PM, Winston Wolfe said:

Unfortunately there are a lot of vintage sitcoms that are not on TV or even on any streaming apps. I have been waiting for Northern exposure and the Bob Newhart show set in Vermont among others 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 12/11/2022 at 1:31 PM, love2lovebadtv said:

Jane Curtin was great in this role. I don't have an issue with her not being much older than Katey Sagal in real life, especially since Louise has a much younger sibling. 

Is it strange because you know Jane Curtin and you know how old she is? I was surprised when I heard Jane Curtin was going to play Louise's mother but when I saw her, it seemed perfectly plausible to me. 

Without knowing that these folks all played sitcom parents in the 80s, I found it quite believable that Doris is Louise's mother. What is less believable is how Louise and Dan are super close in age, yet that's true in real life. 

The more I think about this the more I think they casted her because Louise is a bit younger than Katey herself so yeah I guess it does seem plausible and I don't think they were focusing on the actresses ages as much as the characters ages instead. 🤷‍♀️ Personally as for Dan & Louise I think they look fine together and it's believable because I think that's how Louise always was you know acting young and definitely looking young so it's believable to me especially because she's a rock musician. 🤷‍♀️ 

2 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Most likely plastic surgery  versus aging normally. I think Jane Curtin looks great & Katey looks a little creepy doll-like. 

I'm sorry, but I totally disagree about Katey looking like a creepy doll I think she looks amazing for her age. ❤️ 

Edited by ESS
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, chediavolo said:

and the couch, miraculously, cleaned itself !

What no one has mentioned, is that Emilio apparently has legal status in the US now through Becky, even though he illegally snuck in.  I guess he left the US at some point and came back legally.

• Useful 1
On 12/8/2022 at 12:40 PM, iMonrey said:

I got a kick out of Jackie in the closing scene, she had Doris's number and wasn't going to fall for her act. 

I liked this. If the MIL is sticking around (somewhat), I want a scene with her and a lucid Bev (if they bring her back). I would love to get her take on not only Jackie’s MIL but also Dan’s other MIL (not to mention her opinion of Dan remarrying). 

• Love 3
On 12/7/2022 at 6:07 PM, ams1001 said:

If she was actually the flower girl why would Becky be buying the dress on her own a week before?

Why not?  Oh, maybe because the demon-voiced child couldn't try it on.  I just have this disconnect with Beverly-Rose.  She's this sweet, adorable child, and then she speaks.

• LOL 3
4 hours ago, Oosala said:

Why not?  Oh, maybe because the demon-voiced child couldn't try it on.  I just have this disconnect with Beverly-Rose.  She's this sweet, adorable child, and then she speaks.

In my experience, the flower girl's outfit is generally chosen by the bride along with the bridesmaids' dresses; usually well before the wedding.

24 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

In my experience, the flower girl's outfit is generally chosen by the bride along with the bridesmaids' dresses; usually well before the wedding.

Meh, there’s a lot on this show I question, but I’m okay with this. Sounds like it’s a fairly informal, not highly planned wedding. I can see dad and future step mom saying, just get her some cute little pastel thing that she can walk down the aisle in without freaking out. 

• Like 2

I was maid of honor in a wedding where the bride's niece was a flower girl.  The bride's sister (Niece's mom) was the other bridesmaid.  Sister and I picked our dress styles (we each picked a different one), and chose from among three colors the bride had given us (we wound up going with the same one; the bride did not request it).  Bride had no idea what the niece was wearing until we all got dressed before the wedding.  Sister had made sure it was something in a color that wouldn't clash with what she and I were wearing, for the sake of the photos, but otherwise  Niece got to pick out whatever dress she wanted.

I avoid weddings as much as possible, so I don't have a ton of experience with them, but from that limited exposure it is not at all unusual for a flower girl to just be in a cute, off-the-rack dress that has nothing to do with what the bridesmaids are wearing.  Lucky kids.

Edited by Bastet

I was so happy to see Jane Curtin.  Jane looked a bit older than Katey because of the hair and the way she was styled, but I really didn’t care about the age discrepancy (or lack thereof). It’s acting.

On 12/8/2022 at 3:47 PM, kassa said:

Estelle Parsons is 95, God love her.

To me she’s barely aged since the original Roseanne series!  That’s really incredible.

On 12/13/2022 at 5:55 AM, chediavolo said:

I think Jane Curtin looks great & Katey looks a little creepy doll-like. 

I think they both look really good, however I think maybe Katey needs to get her fillers changed out or something (I don’t know how that works). Her cheeks look like golf balls when she smiles.

Another funny thing is when Katey was on Married with Children (for all the oldsters like me), her character had what we called “the Peggy Bundy walk”.  Tiny steps teetering on stiletto heels.  Well, this is the third show I’ve watched Katey in and she STILL walks like that, ha!  I guess it wasn’t a Peg Bundy character thing but just a Katey thing :)

I loved Beverley Rose and her reason for not wanting to go to the wedding.  She was the cutest puppy and I empathized with Becky trying to tow that parenting line.  I have a four year old and the struggle is real.  I don’t think Becky said anything out of line about Emilio’s new wife.  She was just venting to her sister, sometimes mean things come out in those moments. Also, I think BR named my new puppy, if I ever get another one.

Add me to the list of those that miss DJ and Mary.  Jackie has been pretty good two episodes in a row.  I’m glad she put Doris in check from the jump.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mostlylurking said:

Another funny thing is when Katey was on Married with Children (for all the oldsters like me), her character had what we called “the Peggy Bundy walk”.  Tiny steps teetering on stiletto heels.  Well, this is the third show I’ve watched Katey in and she STILL walks like that, ha!  I guess it wasn’t a Peg Bundy character thing but just a Katey thing :)

Huh, I watched her in Futurama and didn't notice the walking thing at all.  Of course, in that show, she also just had one eye, so...

[In case anyone's not aware, her character in Futurama was animated.]

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
17 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

I think they both look really good, however I think maybe Katey needs to get her fillers changed out or something (I don’t know how that works). Her cheeks look like golf balls when she smiles.

I have never noticed the walk thing with Katey, but if that's the case maybe it's a high heels thing after all she has worn a lot of them for her characters over the years and possibly she's (Katey herself) just used to walking like that because of having to wear so many heels all the time. 🤷‍♀️ That said regardless of anything appearance included I still think she's a great actress and I love her anyway and she still looks great as I said earlier. As for the filters it might be some type of plastic surgery or something I don't know and personally speaking I tend to just focus on her acting not her appearance. (Same goes for every other favorite actresses/actors/characters of mine that I love I tend to just focus on their acting, but that's just me) 

Edited by ESS
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1