Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

SophiaD
  • Start Topic

Apologies if this podcast has been mentioned before, but y'all need to download Blind Landings. It's 5 short-ish episodes (20-30 minutes each) about the vault debacle in Sydney. It's fantastic. Maria Olaru's interview is incredible, as is Lisa Mason's (Team GB who was in the first flight).

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
On 8/19/2021 at 11:33 PM, CeeBeeGee said:

Apologies if this podcast has been mentioned before, but y'all need to download Blind Landings. It's 5 short-ish episodes (20-30 minutes each) about the vault debacle in Sydney. It's fantastic. Maria Olaru's interview is incredible, as is Lisa Mason's (Team GB who was in the first flight).

Another reason to hate the Karolyi’s. That team was so beaten down that Elise Ray never even imagined that her fall was due to anything other than a mistake she made. And, imagine if she had said something to Bela. He’d have blown her off. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

How are all these gymnasts going to college? I don’t just mean how busy it is to be a student and gymnast. Suni is doing DWTS while at Auburn. Grace and Jade are at Utah and Oregon State respectively, while also doing the GOAT tour. How are they doing it, logistically?Are they just flying back and forth across the country all the time? Do they have incredibly understanding professors? Is Suni’s partner going back and forth to Alabama with her? I’m so intrigued by this!

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Jeddah said:

How are all these gymnasts going to college? I don’t just mean how busy it is to be a student and gymnast. Suni is doing DWTS while at Auburn. Grace and Jade are at Utah and Oregon State respectively, while also doing the GOAT tour. How are they doing it, logistically?Are they just flying back and forth across the country all the time? Do they have incredibly understanding professors? Is Suni’s partner going back and forth to Alabama with her? I’m so intrigued by this!

Online classes. Most schools were already moving towards more online options and Covid really accelerated that. 

16 hours ago, Dani said:

Online classes. Most schools were already moving towards more online options and Covid really accelerated that. 

But we had pictures of Suni actually moving into an Auburn dormitory. At least I thought that's what it was. 

Suni did move into Auburn. She’s been training with the team. She’ll stay in LA during DWTS and taking classes online.

Grace and Jade have also moved into their dorms and will head back to campus when the tour ends.

Jordan is the only one who hasn’t moved to school yet before the tour.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

Suni did move into Auburn. She’s been training with the team. She’ll stay in LA during DWTS and taking classes online.

Grace and Jade have also moved into their dorms and will head back to campus when the tour ends.

Jordan is the only one who hasn’t moved to school yet before the tour.

Its going to be a very exciting college gymnastic season.

• Love 4
On 9/9/2021 at 3:38 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

But we had pictures of Suni actually moving into an Auburn dormitory. At least I thought that's what it was. 

In addition to what @HartofDixie said online classes doesn’t necessarily mean remote or distance learning anymore. In person classes are more risky and most students that I know are taking a hybrid approach or entirely online even when they are living at school. 

My kid is in his last year of college and hasn't taken an in person class in over a year. All of his classes this semester are online. A lot of my friends' kids who are living on campus are still taking some classes online. 

I would suspect some of the gymnasts did online high school as well. 

• Love 1

I've only been able to find McKayla's and Simone's testimonies so far (YouTube).  Are they all posted anywhere else?

Edited to add: The FBI agent being silent and then asking McKayla, "Is that all?" made me furiously stabby.  Like being there at all was such an inconvenience to his day. 🤬

Edited by LADreamr
  • Love 5

After reading the Elle profile of McKayla, the FBI can suck it. They completely screwed all of Nassar's victims by doing nothing until they were forced to. They could have stopped the abuse so much sooner than it was stopped and maybe even prevented more victims. I hope these ladies burn them to the ground. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, LADreamr said:

I've only been able to find McKayla's and Simone's testimonies so far (YouTube).  Are they all posted anywhere else?

Here is C-Span's video page for the entire hearing, including the second panel with Wray and the DOJ Inspector General.  The player's opening statements start at about the 43 minute mark.  The page also includes a transcript section (pulled from the close captioning, so there could be transcribing errors).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Those FBI agents and steve penny and the karolyis need to be locked in prison for the rest of time.

I'm really surprised by the lack of action toward the Karolyis.  Their guilt in failing to protect the girls is mentioned tangentially, but I haven't seen any direct, legal indictment of them.

• Love 13

I’m waiting for the Congressional subpoena for Steve Penny, the Karolyis, and the USOC. Cause it’s time for some people to be SHAMED on National tv. (I don’t even care if they take the 5th.). I just want the questions of why they did nothing to be asked in public. We already know the answers. Gold medals were more important than humans. 

• Love 13
22 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

I’m waiting for the Congressional subpoena for Steve Penny, the Karolyis, and the USOC. Cause it’s time for some people to be SHAMED on National tv. (I don’t even care if they take the 5th.). I just want the questions of why they did nothing to be asked in public. We already know the answers. Gold medals were more important than humans. 

Exactly. The mentality seemed to be ‘who cares if the girls would be mentally or emotionally scarred for life as long as they were winning medals for the good old USA’. Infuriating🤬

• Love 1
3 hours ago, LADreamr said:

I'm really surprised by the lack of action toward the Karolyis.  Their guilt in failing to protect the girls is mentioned tangentially, but I haven't seen any direct, legal indictment of them.

"BUT THEY MADE CHAMPIONS!"

To anyone who is still using that defense, I say: the Karolyis didn't "make" anyone. The gymnasts succeeded because they worked their asses off and had the goods. They're not passive blobs of clay that the Karolyis molded. I've said it once, I'll say it again: it's the athlete's victory, not ours. There is no excusing the Karolyis and their abusive, cult-like methods. I hope they get what's coming to them. I also hope someone burns the ranch to the ground.

5 hours ago, emma675 said:

After reading the Elle profile of McKayla, the FBI can suck it. They completely screwed all of Nassar's victims by doing nothing until they were forced to. They could have stopped the abuse so much sooner than it was stopped and maybe even prevented more victims. I hope these ladies burn them to the ground. 

Larry Nassar could have been stopped in 1997, the year two of the women testifying today were born. Larissa Boyce reported Nassar's actions to his colleague Kathie Klages, who then proceeded to pressure and guilt Boyce until she recanted. I've racked my brain to figure out how that vile shitbag Nassar held sway over so many people, and I keep coming up empty. Even putting aside his disgusting crimes, all I see is this lump of a human being with an irritating voice and speech pattern, a creepy smile, and a habit of mansplaining and saying bizarre, random things. What was this spell he had everyone under? Why are there people out there willing to die on the hill of defending him?

Simone, McKayla, Maggie, Aly? Thank you for everything. 

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 20
On 9/15/2021 at 5:57 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

"BUT THEY MADE CHAMPIONS!"

To anyone who is still using that defense, I say: the Karolyis didn't "make" anyone. The gymnasts succeeded because they worked their asses off and had the goods. They're not passive blobs of clay that the Karolyis molded. I've said it once, I'll say it again: it's the athlete's victory, not ours. There is no excusing the Karolyis and their abusive, cult-like methods. I hope they get what's coming to them. I also hope someone burns the ranch to the ground.

I have yet to hear anything the Karolyis actually did to train/improve the gymnasts, other than starve, isolate, and terrorize them.

On a different topic, the Olympic channel is televising a lot of international gymnastics competitions right now.  Just search for "FIG Gymnastics". 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

The last two episodes of her Versus on Watch show came out yesterday and today. Seeing her mom Nellie crying while talking with her coaches (and then Simone herself crying as she tried to explain what happened) was incredibly hard to watch. Anyone who still thinks Simone pulled out just because at this point really doesn’t have a damn clue. 

• Love 2

This is all I could find about airings:

WOMEN’S ALL-AROUND FINAL

Thursday, October 21 at 5:15am (Live on Olympic Channel)

Thursday, October 21 at 7pm ET (Taped coverage on NBCSN)

INDIVIDUAL APPARATUS FINALS

Saturday, October 23 at 5am ET (Live on Olympic Channel)

Sunday, October 24 at 3:30am ET (Live on Olympic Channel)

Sunday, October 24 at 1:30pm ET (Taped coverage on NBC)

• Useful 5
5 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

This is all I could find about airings:

WOMEN’S ALL-AROUND FINAL

Thursday, October 21 at 5:15am (Live on Olympic Channel)

Thursday, October 21 at 7pm ET (Taped coverage on NBCSN)

INDIVIDUAL APPARATUS FINALS

Saturday, October 23 at 5am ET (Live on Olympic Channel)

Sunday, October 24 at 3:30am ET (Live on Olympic Channel)

Sunday, October 24 at 1:30pm ET (Taped coverage on NBC)

Thank you!

Simone Biles says she's "still scared to do gymnastics" after all she's been through.

I understand totally, but I still feel bad for her. I'm glad she getting therapy, but I also hope she knows that she owes us nothing. I hope that if Biles feels the need to walk away completely, that she does so. You're a legend, Simone, and you've done extraordinary things for the sport, but your mental health matters infinitely more. 

• Love 15
7 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Simone Biles says she's "still scared to do gymnastics" after all she's been through.

I understand totally, but I still feel bad for her. I'm glad she getting therapy, but I also hope she knows that she owes us nothing. I hope that if Biles feels the need to walk away completely, that she does so. You're a legend, Simone, and you've done extraordinary things for the sport, but your mental health matters infinitely more. 

Yep, yep, yep. She should do gymnastics again only if she wants to--she doesn't owe us, or anyone, anything. She's a damn superhero for continuing to compete for the sole reason of holding USAG accountable. I hope she is living her best life and having ALL the fun because she has damn well earned it. (Can't wait to see her on tour next month!)

• Love 5
(edited)

So, I'm watching a repeat of the men's World Championships all-around, and it's really delightful to see all of the athletes from other countries.  I wish the Olympics were covered like this.

Also, without the pressure of a high-profile event, Tim and Nastia are coming across as delightful and knowledgeable, especially with John Roethlisberger serving as the main anchor.  I'm very impressed.

While I was typing this, Belgian gymnast Noah Kuavita just did the most insane dismount I've ever seen on the high bar - a triple pike.  I yelled, "WHAT?' so loudly, I'm afraid my neighbors will think I'm weird.  I don't think it's online yet, but it's definitely worth seeing.  

Edited to add:  It's especially hilarious that both Nastia and John are ribbing Tim about his endless, "Fly high, and stick the landing!"

Unless I missed something, we didn't get to see Yul Moldauer's fourth-place-clinching pommel horse routine.  How weird.  

Edited by SophiaD
  • Love 3

You know what's nice that I'm NOT seeing?  I'm not seeing the stupid red light/green light* stuff.  Just difficulty level + execution score = total.  It's not that f*cking hard.  I wonder if the "explain it to our idiot audience" system will be back for the NBC airing on Sunday.

*Yes, I know red light/green light has quite a different connotation in a post-Squid Game world.  

• Love 4
On 10/21/2021 at 5:13 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

I wonder if she’s stuck in the “What do I do after gymnastics?” mode. She’s done this for two decades, and, while I know she has other ventures, I wonder if she is just having a hard time imagining a world without training everyday. Hopefully, she’ll find a new passion and vision. 

• Love 3
On 9/16/2021 at 7:18 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

I have yet to hear anything the Karolyis actually did to train/improve the gymnasts, other than starve, isolate, and terrorize them.

Well, we won no medals BEFORE the Karolyis and the US women's team coach in 1984 (Don Peters) was later accused of sexually abusing gymnasts.  

Once the Karolyis were here we started winning.  If you want a comparison, look at the men's team in these last 35 years. If it's just hard work, the men should have won comparable medals. yet, not a one has reached his potential and the US has lost the big competitions with stupid mistakes.  (Don't get me started on Sam Michulak.) 

(NOTE:  THIS IS TO ANSWER THE QUESTION POSED BY THE QUOTE AS TO WHAT THEY BROUGHT TO US GYMNASTICS, NOT DEFEND THEM AGAINST OTHER CHARGES)

• Love 1
6 hours ago, irisheyes said:

I wonder if she’s stuck in the “What do I do after gymnastics?” mode. She’s done this for two decades, and, while I know she has other ventures, I wonder if she is just having a hard time imagining a world without training everyday. Hopefully, she’ll find a new passion and vision. 

It's not just her. If you look at her family, they've basically been Simone, Inc for many years, from building her a gym to managing her career. It helped that they were independently wealthy so they did not have to work, and could just focus on supporting Simone full time. I was shocked that Simone said before Tokyo she'd never traveled without both her parents. But you have to wonder if the whole Biles family kind of doesn't know what to do without constantly taking Simone to competitions. 

• Love 6