Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

SophiaD
  • Start Topic

Just catching up on the apparatus finals and am part-way through.  That American kid who won the pommel horse is adorkable!

The Chinese gymnast who came in third on the bars wuz robbed.  That was one of the most flawless-looking routines I’ve seen in a long time, and it looked as though her difficulty level was high too.

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, HartofDixie said:

Nice article. Suni is really beautiful. I hope she hasn't worn herself out jumping from the Olympics to DWTS, and college gymnastics. This year college gymnastics should be really good. 

5 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I don't watch DWTS. Is Suni still in the running to win? If so, how many more weeks are left? I imagine they end at the end of November Sweeps?

I don't either. According to Google Suni is still on DWTS. The semifinals are on Nov. 15.

10 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I don't watch DWTS. Is Suni still in the running to win? If so, how many more weeks are left? I imagine they end at the end of November Sweeps?

Semi finals are next week and finals are in two weeks.  She got a perfect score this week.

• Love 4

I watched part of the Alabama vs Auburn gymnastics meet tonight (at Auburn).  There were 90,000 fans there and people were losing their minds when Suni Lee was competing.  (FWTW women's college gymnastics meets have very devoted fans and I've been to a few competitions but this was rock star crazy). Plus Suni looked like she was having an absolute ball while she was competing - all smiles and enthusiasm. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

I watched part of the Alabama vs Auburn gymnastics meet tonight (at Auburn).  There were 90,000 fans there and people were losing their minds when Suni Lee was competing.  (FWTW women's college gymnastics meets have very devoted fans and I've been to a few competitions but this was rock star crazy). Plus Suni looked like she was having an absolute ball while she was competing - all smiles and enthusiasm. 

I watched it a couple of days ago! It was fantastic to see so much support from the Auburn community! Suni is obviously a total celebrity there.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

It was only 9,000 fans, but it sounded like 90k! 😄

• Love 1
18 hours ago, PepSinger said:
19 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

It was only 9,000 fans, but it sounded like 90k! 😄

I am happy for Suni, but I’m an Alabama at heart. Alabama’s finish on the beam was FLAWLESS. Roll tide!

Roll Tide forever, but I was so happy for Suni getting all that positive attention. 

And Emmawoodhouse, the announcer said 90,000. I though that was high but I've been to several of those collegiate gymnastics meets and people get WILD and yes, it did sound like 90K.  I especially enjoyed watching the Auburn folks with the letters on their shirts right down near the floor and when they were imitating the Alabama floor routines. 

• Love 2
On 2/2/2022 at 4:06 PM, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

I especially enjoyed watching the Auburn folks with the letters on their shirts right down near the floor and when they were imitating the Alabama floor routines. 

I've watched a few college meets over the years, and I don't recall seeing people mimicking the gymnasts like that (maybe they did and I missed it).  Honestly, seeing those guys do that seemed like something you'd see from an elementary school crowd, not guys in a college crowd.  I'd be embarrassed if I saw my grown son throw himself on the gym floor and imitate the female gymnasts.  Weird. 

As usual, YMMV.  :)  

• Love 2

It was such a great meet. Suni was incredible. Grace and Jordan are doing amazing at UCLA. Leanne at Florida. It's been fun watching them go head to head. There are so many other great gymnasts. I have a lot of favorites on most of the teams. I'm amazed with how many gymnasts from other countries are on the college gymnastics teams. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

It was such a great meet. Suni was incredible. Grace and Jordan are doing amazing at UCLA. Leanne at Florida. It's been fun watching them go head to head. There are so many other great gymnasts. I have a lot of favorites on most of the teams. I'm amazed with how many gymnasts from other countries are on the college gymnastics teams. 

Grace is at Utah. I saw her compete in the meet with UCLA on Friday. 🙂

• Love 1
On 2/3/2022 at 9:15 PM, ChitChat said:

I've watched a few college meets over the years, and I don't recall seeing people mimicking the gymnasts like that (maybe they did and I missed it).  Honestly, seeing those guys do that seemed like something you'd see from an elementary school crowd, not guys in a college crowd.  I'd be embarrassed if I saw my grown son throw himself on the gym floor and imitate the female gymnasts.  Weird.

Oh when I said I enjoyed it, I enjoyed watching them make fools of themselves.  My kids competed up to about age 14 and there were times they did parts of their teammates' routines (like a few movements of their floor routines) but these guys were definitely a bunch of weirdos.   

• Love 2

It's wonderful, though, that even with Kuliak's shitty demonstration, he still lost to Ukrainian Illia Kovtun, the gold medalist in the event.  One can only hope the same denouement will occur in the war itself.

• Love 12

Well, this is a take.

https://slate.com/culture/2022/03/russia-gymnastics-international-ban.html

My first thought is that she continually conflates Russian and Soviet--one is a subset of the other, and a huge part of the success of the Soviet system was due to non-Russian gymnasts. Olga was Belarusian, LilyPod and Gutsu were both Ukrainian, Bogi was Belarusian, Nelli Kim was Sakhalin Korean/Tatar, Omelianchik was Ukrainian, Chuso was Uzbek, Lysenko was Ukrainian. 

Second, her confident assertion that not only were the Russians clearly the superior team at the Tokyo Games but that even had Simone competed the full team final, they might've won it--I find that highly suspect. I don't begrudge the Russians their team gold at all--they performed the best that day, they earned it--but I also think the American team was reeling from the news, and of course after the first event, all three had to compete and hit every event. Had the Americans had even a day to process the news that Simone couldn't continue, who knows what the result would be?  As it was, they were thrown into the mix and I am super proud they kept their heads and took the silver.

The Russians haven't had a team gold in forever before this. The last one was 2010 Worlds and they've never had a team gold ('92 doesn't count, that was the Unified Team) in the Games until the Tokyo Games. Yes, there's a lot of talent but remember the dry years like 2008, where they were completely shut out of any medals. Contrast that to the last fallow years of the US team which was the late '90s-early aughts. We've been very strong ever since ca. 2003.

(Little of this doping, by the way, has been documented in gymnastics—but that’s likely because there has yet to be a drug invented, that we know of, that improves gymnasts’ performance without making athletes jittery or adding bulk, both of which are deleterious to the sport.)

Yeah, well, we thought the same thing about figure skating and here we are. Knowing that Russia herself sponsors the doping, I'm assuming they're all doping.

Fuck Putin. His ego just haaaaaad to ruin everything.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Yeah, well, we thought the same thing about figure skating and here we are. Knowing that Russia herself sponsors the doping, I'm assuming they're all doping.

I actually feel that all top Olympic athletes are doping. I don't assume ANYONE is clean, regardless of sport or nationality. With that being said, gymnastics doesn't need the kind of endurance needed for figure skating.

But really, I don't assume that anyone is clean. Not Usain Bolt, not Michael Phelps, not Simone Biles. No one.

• Sad 1
5 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

I think it’s unfair to Simone, Michael, and Usain to assume that they are doping. There’s been no proof of that whatsoever. They deserve the presumption of innocence.

Yeah, they get tested constantly. Like, all the time. The US stands firmly against doping and here, a doping athlete is disgraced, not made excuses for.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Yeah, they get tested constantly. Like, all the time. The US stands firmly against doping and here, a doping athlete is disgraced, not made excuses for.

That's not really true. Many athletes never failed drug tests -- Marion Jones, Lance Armstrong, etc.

Carl Lewis had a string of positive drug tests in 1988 which were buried. There have been many, many "clean" athletes who later were found doping -- Tyson Gay, Dennis Mitchell, Justin Gatlin, the list goes on.

And this isn't anything against Simone/Phelps/Usain. It's just a fact that doping is so prevalent in elite sports that you can't assume anyone is clean.

1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

And this isn't anything against Simone/Phelps/Usain. It's just a fact that doping is so prevalent in elite sports that you can't assume anyone is clean.

No, this is definitely something against them. Afterall you specifically named them. I remember you accusing Nathan Chen of doping over in the Olympic thread. I’m curious why you would watch sports if you think they are all cheaters? I wouldn’t get any enjoyment out of that.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Carl Lewis had a string of positive drug tests in 1988 which were buried. There have been many, many "clean" athletes who later were found doping -- Tyson Gay, Dennis Mitchell, Justin Gatlin, the list goes on.

1988 is forever ago. I get that supposedly clean athletes are sometimes later found to have doped but they do so at their peril, because their entire reputation is absolutely tanked, upon revelation, and they lose a shitton of endorsements. The US does NOT support dopers. The whole "everybody's cheating, everyone sucks" seems needlessly nihilistic. I don't believe that at all. 

• Love 12