Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

SophiaD
  • Start Topic

Way to go, Frederick!!!  At his age, he may have lots of room for improvement too.

7 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Did all the US women get to compete in the finals or was one left out.  In which case, why?  It seems kind of cold to be on a team and not get to compete (except for the injury, which was awful and I feel bad for Jocelyn).

The original plan was for Wong to do beam and Roberson to do vault and floor.  So Wong ended up adding vault and floor and, ironically, faltering on beam.  Biles and Jones did all four, and Blakey did bars.

Edited by Harry24
  • Like 4

Women's All Around on Peacock today at 1:30. For chrissakes, with the strikes putting all network shows on hold, why can't NBC show World's at night in Prime Time? Show the delayed broadcast of that day's events, especially with the US doing well in both men's and women's. What a missed opportunity. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

So well done!!!! So absolutely thrilled for Simone! She is unquestionably and officially the G.O.A.T., with 34 combined Olympic and World medals!!!! (And beat out scumbag Vitaly Scherbo 😆 )

And I see Shilese has continued the tradition (Kyla Ross, Larisa Iordache) of following up a Worlds silver AA medal with a bronze 😃

• Like 5
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, shoregirl said:

She is amazing! How lucky are we to get to see her compete.

This was a good worlds for USA Gymnastics for both the men and women. Should be promising going into a Olympic year.

How did she fare on vault? Sorry, I wasn't getting up at 5 am to watch. Even for Simone. 😀

• Like 2

She got the silver in Vault because she had too much power on Biles II and sat down on the landing. Even though the vault is head and shoulders above anything anyone is attempting, the sit down, paired with a deduction for her coach being on the mat, gave Andrade the gold. 

If you're going to attempt a vault as dangerous as the Biles II, having a coach spotting you closely seems like a necessary safety precaution. Instead, she got a deduction. Whatever. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
21 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Pretty sure she was given the deduction at Nationals. Hopefully, the PTB will remove the deduction in upcoming years. They have coaches standing close by during bar routines. How is this any different?

It could be that the coach on the vault ends up blocking the judges view of the landings.  Whereas most of the bar elements are in the air, so they're not blocking the judges view. 

• Like 1

Thanks to Xfinity being crappy I only got to watch the Women's Team competion and I had to record it twice because they ended up not showing it the first time I recorded it.

Great job USA! Simone is still so awesome. I love how she's still going despite her age. Way to go Simone. I felt bad for Leanne when she fell on the beam when she was filling in for someone else. I felt bad for Roberson getting injuried before she could compete. That stinks.

France and Brazil were really good. Rebeca Andrade is still incredible and so were Marine Boyer and Melanie De Jesus Dos Santos.

Thank you for posting about how well the men's team did. That's wonderful!

U of Oklahoma got knocked out in the semi-finals today--they had a really bad vault rotation and then almost as bad a beam rotation. I don't think they've lost a meet all season. The final is Saturday--LSU, U of Florida, U of Utah and I think Cal? I think it's LSU's to lose.

(Shallow night--Ragan Smith needs to lay off the self-tanner. She was literally orange.)

• Like 1

I'm shocked that Oklahoma was knocked out. But they had a brutal vault and beam. Alabama also had a brutal meet. Even Luisa Blanco fell off the beam. Alabama and Oklahoma have been getting 99.00 scores this season and a few 199.00. I was hopinig they kept getting higher. That's really rare. It would be great to see that at the final.

I'm excited that Cal made it to final. I hope they win. But Florida, LSU and Utah are tough competition. As much as I love those teams I'd love Cal to win. 

• Like 2

L-S-U! L-S-U! Geaux Tigers!

The look of joy on Aleah Finnegan's face as she stuck her beam dismount was wonderful. (And I just have a soft spot for the Finnegans.) The Tigers have had such an amazing season, I am so proud of them! Between last season and this one, I've really started to love college gymnastics! (I went to a tiny private women's college and never had the experience of playing in an arena or a stadium with 10,000 fans. Or even sitting in one. I loved my college experience but I did miss out on the huge college sports scenarios.)

• Like 1

Congratulations LSU! They did such a great job! I'm so proud of them. After all those attempts they finally have a win.

Congratulations Cal! Second place is really good. I wish the announcers had given a little congratulations to them. This was their first time at the Nationals. They did a great job. 

• Like 1