Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

SophiaD
  • Start Topic

(edited)
9 hours ago, Jeddah said:

No, this is definitely something against them. Afterall you specifically named them. I remember you accusing Nathan Chen of doping over in the Olympic thread. I’m curious why you would watch sports if you think they are all cheaters? I wouldn’t get any enjoyment out of that.

Same reason I watch March Madness despite knowing about the match fixing/point shaving/gambling that goes on in basketball. Sports is entertainment. I don't have to think an athlete is clean for me to enjoy sports.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
23 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

That's not really true. Many athletes never failed drug tests -- Marion Jones, Lance Armstrong, etc.

I believe Lance Armstrong failed tests but the federations or organizers of the competitions helped hide them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Congratulations to Oklahoma! All the teams did a great job. Suni, Leanne, Grace, Ragan, Jordan, Riley, Kara and Jade are still as awesome as ever. So many of the other gymnasts are incredible. Megan, Alyssa and Trinity from Florida. Katherine, Olivia, Audrey and Danae from Oklahoma. Derrian, Aria, Sophia, and Cassie from Auburn.  Cristal, Alexia, Jaedyn, Amelie, Maile, Sydney, and Lucy from Utah. It was an amazing season. I can't wait for next season.

• Love 7

Went down the rabbit hole today and found this article. Jennifer Sey has lost her damn mind.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2022-04-28/jennifer-sey-s-levi-s-twitter-split-is-modern-corporate-tale

From the article:

The next morning, she published a confessional online titled “Yesterday I Was Levi’s Brand President. I Quit So I Could Be Free.”

No, you quit because you were about to be fired, because you've lost your damn mind.

What a shame. I used to like her.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Went down the rabbit hole today and found this article. Jennifer Sey has lost her damn mind.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2022-04-28/jennifer-sey-s-levi-s-twitter-split-is-modern-corporate-tale

From the article:

No, you quit because you were about to be fired, because you've lost your damn mind.

What a shame. I used to like her.

Wow.  What a fucking asshole.  And what an object lesson in how execrable privileged people are when they have no idea how privileged they are because they're so far up their own privileged asses.  She went off the deep end because she and her husband had to be full-time parents to their kids in their multimillion-dollar condominium.  Boo-fucking-hoo.  99.9% of parents did the same thing in MUCH smaller spaces because public health and safety necessitated it and didn't scream about it or abandon literally every value they purported to have because of it.

And not for nothing, she projected a TON of shit onto her children/children in general and clearly has no idea what a terrible parent she is.

• Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5
25 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

And what an object lesson in how execrable privileged people are when they have no idea how privileged they are because they're so far up their own privileged asses.  She went off the deep end because she and her husband had to be full-time parents to their kids in their multimillion-dollar condominium.

Right??!! I kept rereading it, thinking "there has to more to it than just--I don't want to be stuck at home all day with my kids. There has to be, right?" No, that's pretty much it. Like--the size of that apartment. Being a wealthy executive who can drive anywhere. I was stuck in Manhattan for months and of course no backyard and I would take long walks in Central Park for my sanity but I'd have to be very careful because the joggers would brush past me, panting and not wearing masks which terrified me. (I've since taken up running myself and you know what? I still wear a mask because I don't want people to be scared around me. Especially people who are immuno-compromised.) And I was STILL better off than many around me and many others in the country. I had savings, eventually my unemployment went through, eventually I was able to work out a job situation.

The arrogance of thinking you know better--with no background on infectious diseases or public health. What a giant fucking asshole. I'm so disgusted with her. So many people seem to have lost their minds since March 2020 but she went to Stanford, you'd think she'd know better.

And pivoting to Twitter because the people who know you are saying "Hey, that's actually not true." So she hasn't bothered to interrogate any of this, she just wants an echo chamber.

My one friend who is anti-vax (it's heartbreaking, she's so intelligent in every other way)--she at least wears a mask.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
On 6/17/2022 at 1:49 AM, andromeda331 said:

So it's not just American gymnasts who were abused.

The stories have been coming out for years about abuses in the Chinese gymnastics program, Romanian, Russian, and others.     The American gymnastics comes partially from importing the coaches that were so dominant in winning, and in their over-the-top training methods too.      However, as long as people will pay to send their kids to these elite gymnastics factories, no matter what is publicly known about their methods, nothing will change. 

It's not just sexual abuse either, psychological and verbal, making them work while injured, working youngsters past total exhaustion, sending youngsters away from home to  gymnastics factories with no support, or anyone to advocate for their safety has been going on for years.   

There have been abusers uncovered in swimming, ice hockey, gymnastics, and so many other sports.    For some people it's all about winning.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

W.O.W.

There is now a musical about the Mag Seven. I have two friends who are theater journalists--I texted them and said if you get press tickets for this, I HAVE to be your +1. Check out the blonde Dominique Moceanu! (I'm guessing she was cast because she's a dead ringer for Nastia.)

Had not heard about this nickname for the Tokyo team. I'm still so proud of them for keeping it together to get that silver. Maybe even prouder than I would've been for yet another predictable gold had Simone been able to compete in the finals.

• Love 3
On 7/22/2022 at 2:28 AM, HartofDixie said:

This quote from that article made me chuckle:

In May, Johnson East and her former NFL player shared the various things they wish they knew before becoming a mom and dad for a PEOPLE and Parents magazine video.

I think there's a word missing there somewhere, or maybe that's really how she refers to him 😆

On 7/5/2021 at 5:54 PM, filmfan2480 said:

Maybe someone knows this answer.  Why do some male gymnasts shave their armpits and others don't?  I see that many male gymnasts from Europe and Asia tend to.  And we see most male swimmers/divers shave their armpits.

Most American male gymnasts don't seem to go with that trend, but some do ... like Brody Malone (US Champ).  His are shaven clean.  Anyone know why this is done by some and not by others?

My son is not an athlete but he shaves his armpits so he doesn't stink as bad. Less hair, less stink. Athletes sweat a lot.

So glad to see Donnell get one of the automatic spots. It seems that USA Gymnastics always looks for a reason to screw him over. I still remember him in tears after the 2016 Team Trials when they sent a gymnast who finished below him, to Rio and made Donnell the alternate. I think it was Danell Leyva that went instead of him, based on past performances? Fingers crossed that Whittenburg makes the next Olympic team. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Was fun to watch the gymnastics this past weekend, but I winced when the commentator- Nastia (?) make a joke about a gymnast making herself sick before her competitions or something.  I'm sure it was not meant as something mean, or nerves, but it still felt a little...callous.

• Love 2

Maybe someone knows this answer.  Why do some male gymnasts shave their armpits and others don't?  I see that many male gymnasts from Europe and Asia tend to.  And we see most male swimmers/divers shave their armpits.

Maybe they have super hairy pits and don't want to catch the hair on the parallel bars.  Maybe it's the stink factor as someone else pointed out.  Or a cultural thing.  Or a combo pack. 

I think swimmers shave because it offers less resistance in the water.  I know they shave all over (legs, arms, back, chest, etc). Why not armpits since they might drag on turns. 

On 6/28/2023 at 6:19 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

Did all those girls ditch college? I know Suni and Jordan announced, but I don't remember hearing that Jade, Kayla, or LeeAnne were training elite. 

Jade is competing NCAA next season, Kayla taking next year off to train for the Olympics.  I believe Leanne is competing NCAA next season.