Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

SophiaD
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

He's lucky he's still alive. He also was stabbed twice in the neck. Ten wounds in all.

Frankly I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.

How is he lucky?  He's scum of the earth who deserves to go to hell, but if he was lucky he'd be dead.  The death penalty would be preferable to life in prison.

15 hours ago, baldryanr said:

How is he lucky?  He's scum of the earth who deserves to go to hell, but if he was lucky he'd be dead.  The death penalty would be preferable to life in prison.

That's...actually a pretty good point.

So, Simone basically takes two years off to live her best life (including getting married), goes back to the gym to start training, doesn’t announce her return but lets USAG do it, then comes in and blows away the competition. 😀

The next year is gonna be fun to watch. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 4

I am beyond happy for Simone! She looked so happy and relaxed. Good for her!

Is there a breakdown of her FX routine? I would love to know the changes she made. I know she didn’t do the triple double.

However, that Yurchenko double pike vault was a thing of beauty.😍 

• Like 4

I really like the new USA commentators on tv.

I thought they were doing the typical "Simone can do no wrong" commentating.  Simone is the GOAT.  She doesn't need commentators to ignore her wobbles on the beam or a bad landing.  She's still miles ahead of everyone else.  But she isn't perfect!  

Her Yurchenko Double Pike was amazing!  She also stepped outside the landing zone and her coach was standing on the mat to spot her, which is against the rules.  Simone doesn't need announcers worshipping her.  They can mention how her skill set surpasses others and still mention what went wrong.  

In other news, kids get off of my lawn!  😆

• Like 4
39 minutes ago, Frost said:

I thought they were doing the typical "Simone can do no wrong" commentating.  Simone is the GOAT.  She doesn't need commentators to ignore her wobbles on the beam or a bad landing.  She's still miles ahead of everyone else.  But she isn't perfect!  

Her Yurchenko Double Pike was amazing!  She also stepped outside the landing zone and her coach was standing on the mat to spot her, which is against the rules.  Simone doesn't need announcers worshipping her.  They can mention how her skill set surpasses others and still mention what went wrong.  

In other news, kids get off of my lawn!  😆

She took the .5 neutral deduction for the coach being there which was mentioned. Frankly its a stupid rule that should be changed for safety reasons anyway.

They also did note her various bobbles. I watched it. When you blow the field away by 5 points harping over small bobbles makes you look clinically insane.

• Like 8

I noted a lot of bobbles on many of the gymnasts, and most were ignored in the commentary. 

I just felt that the new announcers were not quite as catty as Nastia and....Bart?  The new ones feel more engaged to me.

It will be interesting to see if Sunisa can continue to compete given her health problems.  Kidney problems are no joke.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I noted a lot of bobbles on many of the gymnasts, and most were ignored in the commentary. 

I just felt that the new announcers were not quite as catty as Nastia and....Bart?  The new ones feel more engaged to me.

Nastia doesn't usually commentate for the Classic, right? Doesn't Samantha (or someone else) usually cover that?

• Useful 1

Nastia has commentated at Classic in the past (I attended in person one year and she was definitely there in the commentary booth), but NBC appears to be increasing its pool of commentators, particularly bringing in those with experience commentating on NCAA. IMO this is a good thing - overall I don't think Nastia's a very good commentator, and I've always felt there's an awkward conflict of interest with her father still being a prominent coach of active athletes. Sam Peszek has potential (you can see the media training she got in her studies at UCLA), but she also has a strong tendency to talk too much during the routines and inject herself and her experience into the commentary. I also think John Roethlisberger (or Bart Conner) should replace Tim Daggett. Tim's schtick ("Gymnastics 101" etc.) has worn thin and after 30+ years it's time for someone else to take over.

The main thing, though, is NBC needs to get over their obsession with showing gymnasts on the sidelines, chalking up, getting drinks of water, talking to the coaches, instead of showing actual gymnastics. It creates these interminable lulls in the action, when there's exciting stuff going on in the background that the audience doesn't see.

I'm not a huge golf fan but I watched the coverage of the British Open a few weeks ago, and I was struck by how they immediately moved from one golfer to another so there was no break in the action - it was almost addictive since they kept showing shot after shot. They didn't just follow Rory McIlroy around while he was walking from hole to hole, getting drinks of water, and talking with his caddy, but if he were a gymnast that's exactly the type of coverage NBC would do.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

She took the .5 neutral deduction for the coach being there which was mentioned. Frankly its a stupid rule that should be changed for safety reasons anyway.

They also did note her various bobbles. I watched it. When you blow the field away by 5 points harping over small bobbles makes you look clinically insane.

Apparently Laurent insists he always spot her on this vault and it was his decision to so, not hers. So she's always going to get that deduction. I wonder if the FIG will change the rule now so that spotted vaults to get a 0.0? I wouldn't put it past them.

We know Simeone can do this vault but one mistake could be devastating so I like that he cares about her safety and health.

It will also be interesting if the provisional 6.4 D-score will hold when she submits it at Worlds. There was speculation it would be downgraded to 6.2 given that all vaults were downgraded by 0.4 for this code. and it was given a provisional 6.6 in the last code.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Simone looked great! I was a little worried that she wouldn't be able to pull it off at her age. I love seeing gymnasts still competing past the teen years and early 20s. But still worry about whether their bodies can handle it at 26 with all the injuries and age. I still remember Shannon Miller's falls at her last Olympic trials. That was hard to watch. Then again Dominique Dawes did make it.

• Like 4

I was expecting more comments. Simone is so incredible. I love how determined she is. She continues to set goals for herself and challenges herself in a way that is awe inspiring. She truly is a national treasure and I feel privileged to be able to witness her journey. 

My favorite moment of last night though was watching Shilese Jones on bars. Truly gorgeous. 

• Like 7
9 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

I was expecting more comments. Simone is so incredible. I love how determined she is. She continues to set goals for herself and challenges herself in a way that is awe inspiring. She truly is a national treasure and I feel privileged to be able to witness her journey. 

My favorite moment of last night though was watching Shilese Jones on bars. Truly gorgeous. 

I would've loved to have been able to watch it--but I don't have Peacock. Tomorrow...

ETA:

USAG posted the full feed:

Edited by CeeBeeGee

I keep waiting for Terry to mention if Donnell Whittenburg is related to his old teammate Derrick, considering that both are from Maryland but not as far as I’ve watched….

• Useful 1

I tried to watch the men’s, but Tim was rage-inducing.  I don’t need a running commentary of what the odds are that a mistake will be a .1 vs .3 deduction.  He’s so busy still hypothesizing the judge’s decision on the past trick that he can barely mention the next trick, unless of course they made a mistake on that one, too.  I gave up and turned it off.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I tried to watch the men’s, but Tim was rage-inducing.  I don’t need a running commentary of what the odds are that a mistake will be a .1 vs .3 deduction.  He’s so busy still hypothesizing the judge’s decision on the past trick that he can barely mention the next trick, unless of course they made a mistake on that one, too.  I gave up and turned it off.

Well, at least they have ditched him for the women. I'm enjoying Sam far more than I ever did Nastia. 

• Like 6

NBC is horrible!  First, they didn't start broadcasting until partway through the second rotation!  Plus, they keep ignoring the unknown athletes doing routines in order to show minutes of Simone starting into space or Jordan playing air drums.   I want to see gymnastics not camera shots of the stars.

Edited by Frost
  • Like 6
11 minutes ago, Frost said:

NBC is horrible!  First, they didn't start broadcasting until partway through the second rotation!  Plus, they keep ignoring the unknown athletes doing routines in order to show minutes of Simone starting into space or Jordan playing air drums.   I want to see gymnastics not camera shots of the stars.

Peacock started half an hour earlier than NBC. I have to watch it anyway, as I am on the west coast, and it doesn't air on NBC for another two hours. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Frost said:

WTH was up with that? I wanted to see the whole thing.

And--don't get me wrong, I quite like Jordan--but if she needs to do the whole "air drums" or dancing for fun or whatever for her nerves, I get it but I felt bad for Simone Day 1 when she was doing that right next to Simone. She has to know if she acts that way around Simone, it's irresistible to the camera people, and poor Simone looked like the last thing she wanted was another camera stuck in her face.

• Like 1

Simone's vault was incredible. I can't believe how good she still is at this age. That's great. I really hope she makes it to the next Olympics. I agree about the cameras on her when nothing is going on. One of the commentors even wondered why Simone looked upset because she's been doing so well. It's probably the damn camera in her face. We had other girls competing maybe show them?

I felt bad for Jordan. Very bad. 

I liked Leanne's and Suni's routines.

• Like 5

First of all, excellent performance by the women and cannot wait for Worlds in October.

Secondly, can someone please explain the individual medals to me. I love Jocelyn but Simone had a higher point total so how did she not even place on vault? Can someone please explain?

6 minutes ago, cmahorror said:

First of all, excellent performance by the women and cannot wait for Worlds in October.

Secondly, can someone please explain the individual medals to me. I love Jocelyn but Simone had a higher point total so how did she not even place on vault? Can someone please explain?

On Day 2, Simone only did one vault, not two. (She had very slightly injured an ankle on Day 1 and they were trying to take it easy on the ankle, so no second vault.) In order to get a vault medal, you have to throw two different vaults. I think Jocelyn was the only gymnast who did so by default, she got the top vault placement.

• Useful 3

Not really "news", per se, but according to Dominique Moceanu's Twitter, she didn't get a job at Kent State because they wanted someone "younger".

Holy shit, the ageism and sheer stupidity are just... breathtaking. Kent State turned down an Olympic gold medalist because of her age. Olga Korbut is crowding 70, but if she were applying for a coaching position at my gym, I'd hire her in a heartbeat!

Honest to God, how can people be so appallingly horrible and stupid all at once? Moceanu seems to be taking it in stride, but if she wanted to raise a bigger stink about it, I say have at it!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
15 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Not really "news", per se, but according to Dominique Moceanu's Twitter, she didn't get a job at Kent State because they wanted someone "younger".

Holy shit, the ageism and sheer stupidity are just... breathtaking. Kent State turned down an Olympic gold medalist because of her age. Olga Korbut is crowding 70, but if she were applying for a coaching position at my gym, I'd hire her in a heartbeat!

Honest to God, how can people be so appallingly horrible and stupid all at once? Moceanu seems to be taking it in stride, but if she wanted to raise a bigger stink about it, I say have at it!

Wow Kent State is so stupid. Yeah let's turn down an Olympic Gold medalist and one of the first for the US because of her age. Yeah, there's a good idea. They wouldn't want a talent like hers. Did they not want to make it to Nationals? Apply at other colleges Dominique, they'll all want you. Dominique took it better then I would.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

NICE JOB, to the U.S. Men in the Team Final at World's! Bronze medal. First team medal since 2014. On Peacock, of course, since NBC can't be bothered to show anything.

Gold: Japan in an upset

Silver: China

Bronze: USA

It's been awhile, guys!

ETA: Removed spoiler tags. Its been a day.

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ChicksDigScars said:
  Hide contents

NICE JOB, to the U.S. Men in the Team Final at World's! Bronze medal. First team medal in over a decade. On Peacock, of course, since NBC can't be bothered to show anything.

Gold: Japan in an upset

Silver: China

Bronze: USA

It's been awhile, guys!

So excited for them! 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

So thrilled and happy for them!

I wanted to post this on the USAG FB page but apparently I've been blocked from commenting because everytime they posted about Brody Malone, I would comment, asking if he was still a Q-Anon nutter 😁😁😁 I guess they didn't like that!

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Ladies Team final on at 1:30 (eastern) on Peacock today. I recall reading yesterday that if the US wins, they will tie for most consecutive team gold medals with one of the men's teams. Can't remember which, but it's probably Russia or China! 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Ladies Team final on at 1:30 (eastern) on Peacock today. I recall reading yesterday that if the US wins, they will tie for most consecutive team gold medals with one of the men's teams. Can't remember which, but it's probably Russia or China! 

They'll beat China--they are currently tied for most consecutive team medals. Go, US ladies!

• Like 3

Exciting competition!  Poor Roberson getting injured before even getting to compete.  I hope Wong is feeling great about what she accomplished.  Jones was beautiful and steady.  And Simone, what can you say that hasn’t been said about her brilliance, mastery and competitive grit.

Brazil and France were great.  I noticed Andrade outscored Simone on the same vault, which surprised me.  And de los Santos looks as though she has really improved with her year in Houston.  She was beautiful before, and now is even better.

Especially sad for GB.  I’m sure China is sad too.  Theirs was the death of many cuts on the beam it looked like.

I need a nap.  (Congratulations to all the athletes.)

• Like 4