Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

SophiaD
  • Start Topic

41 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Alternates have still been practicing with the team, right? 

Yes but it’s not just the US. Hopefully they had the alternates on a different apparatus.

Just looked at Instagram and the team is at the Olympic village.

(edited)

What a rotten turn of events for Kara. I just hope no one else gets it. Its honestly difficult to understand how Leanne wouldn’t get it as she was unvaccinated at TRials and didn’t have enough time to be fully vaccinated anyway.

Edited by Conotocarious
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I wish they would've cancelled. This is just a complete disaster and I worry about the implications of it.

So do I. Or even postponed it one more time. By next summer everyone should be vaccinated right?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

This is awful news to wake up to and it doesn't bode well for the games.

This is the same thing people thought about the NBA bubble, if I remember correctly, and this latest non-bubble season. Like the bubble season of the NBA, I don't want anyone that ends up winning a medal to have to wonder if they won only because someone else had to drop out. 

The NBA bubble was one thing: By that point, the top teams were established and they all participated, while the teams that clearly weren't going to be winning anything did not. The bubble was very successful, both in terms of COVID - no cases at all - and because all the players had gotten rest in the time between when the NBA shut down and when the bubble started, so they were in as good of condition for the remainder of the season and the playoffs as one could ask for. It's the current NBA season that has been an issue, both with COVID cases and because it started so soon after the previous season finally ended that many top players had little opportunity to rest and recuperate, and consequently we've seen a lot of injuries and such that might not have happened otherwise - this year's champions, whichever team it turns out to be, will certainly always have to wonder whether they could have won otherwise. Injuries are a part of sports, of course, but so many top players were affected this season.

I feel the IOC and NBC did not want to postpone because they didn't want to have the Summer and Winter Olympics taking place in the same year. They probably felt that would result in viewer fatigue for the Winter Olympics, which would go second.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

This is the same thing people thought about the NBA bubble, if I remember correctly, and this latest non-bubble season. Like the bubble season of the NBA, I don't want anyone that ends up winning a medal to have to wonder if they won only because someone else had to drop out. 

I don't think too many winners from the 84 games feel like their medals are cheapened because the Soviets and their allies boycotted.  It's not an athlete's job* to make sure the top competition makes it, they go out and do what they can.

*Unless, of course, they believe so strongly that the games shouldn't be taking place at all they subsequently don't go.  Sure, they'll lose the medal, but they can claim the moral high ground along with all the viewers who swear they won't watch because they object to this happening.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

I don't think too many winners from the 84 games feel like their medals are cheapened because the Soviets and their allies boycotted.  It's not an athlete's job* to make sure the top competition makes it, they go out and do what they can.

*Unless, of course, they believe so strongly that the games shouldn't be taking place at all they subsequently don't go.  Sure, they'll lose the medal, but they can claim the moral high ground along with all the viewers who swear they won't watch because they object to this happening.

Actually Greg Louganis said his main motivation for doing it again in 1988 is that he wanted to win a gold medal in a non-boycotted Olympics. 

As for the NBA bubble season, the protocols were incredibly strict and organized. The Tokyo Olys it seems like protocols and policies are all up to the individual teams. For instance in basketball team USA has been training in a camp in Vegas where they've been tested daily. But for gymnastics I saw a lot of big going-away parties on social media and the alternates and main team hanging out in Tokyo. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

This is awful news to wake up to and it doesn't bode well for the games.

I'm worried because I'm not convinced the IOC is doing all they can to keep things safe. On the other hand I didn't hear much about positive cases during both EURO 2020 and the just finished Tour de France(athlete wise).

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

I feel the IOC and NBC did not want to postpone because they didn't want to have the Summer and Winter Olympics taking place in the same year. They probably felt that would result in viewer fatigue for the Winter Olympics, which would go second.

Actually, the Winter Olympics would go first. It is scheduled for February, 2022. And of course, up until 1992, both were held in the same year. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, cambridgeguy said:

I think it depends, but I lean towards feeling like who did or don’t compete shouldn’t taint anyone else’s win. They showed up on the day, competed under Olympic sized pressure, and won. That’s what matters, not who else was there. 

I feel like people did specify that Carly Patterson was the first American AA champion from a non-boycotted Olympics, but personally I don’t feel like Mary Lou Retton should have an asterisk by her name.

That being said if God forbid Simone couldn’t compete, I think there would always be a cloud over those medals. She’s just too dominant for us to believe that she wouldn’t have won anything. I can see both sides.

Edited by Jeddah
  • Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

The vaccine's job is to keep it from making you seriously ill/killing you.

That's the vaccine's secondary job.  It's primary job is to keep you from getting the virus.  

From the NY TImes:

Masa Takaya, a spokesman for the Tokyo organizing committee, said athletes who were in close contact with those who tested positive would be allowed to train if they otherwise follow the isolation restrictions. Athletes are tested daily and if they test negative within six hours of a competition, they will be allowed to play.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
(edited)
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

You can still get Covid if you're vaccinated? The vaccine's job is to keep it from making you seriously ill/killing you.

They really, really should have canceled these games.

They definitely are not all in insolation. I follow Simone on Instagram and she just posted on her story a picture of her and Jordan and a photo of the training facility. 

Edited by choclatechip45

I feel like they should be in isolation lol.

1 hour ago, choclatechip45 said:

I follow Simone on Instagram and she just posted on her story a picture of her and Jordan and a photo of the training facility. 

Do photos posted on stories have be taken at that exact moment?

10 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I feel like they should be in isolation lol.

Do photos posted on stories have be taken at that exact moment?

Nope but she labeled it as official day one training and today is the first day they are training at the official practice venue. The other photo she is wearing a mask with Jordan which feels like based on her other photos is a precaution.

Apparently if you are vaccinated and considered a close contact the Olympic organizers aren't making them quarantine which might be why Al Fong isn't quarantining while Leanne is. Al mentioned in an article he was vaccinated months ago.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

When do the trampoline and rhythmic events start?

Trampoline is July 30-31, rhythmic is Aug 3-6. 

Speaking of rhythmic, here’s some good news: American Laura Zeng came in 7th place in the All-Around at the Grand Prix in Israel over the weekend. Her teammate Evita Griskenas, won the all around and all four event finals in the international senior portion of the competition. They are both exciting, amazing athletes and I’m so happy they’re representing our country! 

And, according to this article in the Chicago Tribune: https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/olympics/ct-tokyo-olympics-rules-athletes-20210718-pqntcktp6jb4li4ojo47licsie-story.html the entire rhythmic team is vaxxed. I’m assuming this also includes Lennox Hopkins, the alternate/reserve individual gymnast who lives/trains in the Seattle area. A quote from the article: 

“The entire U.S. rhythmic gymnastics team, which trains in Deerfield, got vaccinated both as a public safety measure and in the hopes of avoiding a positive test that could sideline them from competition.

“The Japanese people have a right to feel the way they do. After all, it’s a heavy influx of people to their home country and it’s scary,” said rhythmic gymnast Evita Griskenas, an Orland Park resident who will compete in the individual all-around event. “But as far as Team USA goes, I’d say the majority of us are vaccinated, which I think helps. And taking a look at all the testing and all the protocols we have to follow in Japan, I think it will be handled very safely.”’

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, Frisky Wig said:

“The Japanese people have a right to feel the way they do. After all, it’s a heavy influx of people to their home country and it’s scary,” said rhythmic gymnast Evita Griskenas, an Orland Park resident who will compete in the individual all-around event. 

Hear, hear, Evita!!  Thinking of others.

• Love 5

I love rhythmic gymnastics and trampoline, it's so elegant and the athletes are so flexible and strong. I just hope I can find coverage of it this year, they never show it in the US broadcasts. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, PepSinger said:

I am kind of excited for rhythmic gymnastics. I want it to have its moment in the USA.

2 hours ago, emma675 said:

I love rhythmic gymnastics and trampoline, it's so elegant and the athletes are so flexible and strong. I just hope I can find coverage of it this year, they never show it in the US broadcasts. 

YES! This is the first time since 1992 that we've had a full team of rhythmic gymnasts (2 individuals and group) qualify for the Olympics! I'm very excited and I hope NBC doesn't disappoint me and other fans and actually shows the competitions at a decent hour, not at 3 AM for 30 minutes like they did in 2008! Trampoline too, since it gets even less TV coverage and more hate from the public than rhythmic does. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, emma675 said:

You should be able to find anything you want and view it via this on this comprehensive online schedule. I'm not 100% sure that's the way it's going to work, but it looks like it might be that way.  

So in the case of trampoline, it shows that the live action starts at 12:00 AM and goes to about 2:30 AM on 7/30.  Then for the rest of the day until it resumes, it looks like you can watch highlights on the trampoline channel until the live action resumes again at 12:00 AM 7/31.

• Useful 4
On 7/19/2021 at 5:39 PM, peachmangosteen said:

You can still get Covid if you're vaccinated? The vaccine's job is to keep it from making you seriously ill/killing you.

None of the vaccines are said to be 100% effective. So Kara may be one of the flukes who was vaccinated and still caught it. I know she was only an alternate, but it really must suck for an athlete to not be compete at the Olympics because of that.

Luckily she seems to not be showing symptoms and is healthy.

• Love 2

Kara, who is vaccinated, tested positive. Leanne, who is not vaccinated, tested negative. I really hope this doesn't give more fodder to the "the vaccine doesn't work/it's unnecessary!!" crowd.

• Love 6
On 7/19/2021 at 4:07 PM, HartofDixie said:

Interview with Kara’s parents

Her dad said what everyone thinks, but you’re not supposed to say! Of course alternates want to compete, but you’re not supposed to admit that you’re hoping for that!

• Love 4