Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

SophiaD
  • Start Topic

(edited)
3 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I couldn't be friends with Gabby Douglas because I don't need someone in my life who blames me for the things that others did to me. So I can understand how other members of the team might not be friends with her. I can still hope she has a fabulous career and does well and feel bad for her.

I am in 100% in agreement with you.  I couldn't be friends with her either.

ETA: Holy carp!

https://nltimes.nl/2021/07/09/dutch-olympic-gymnasts-quarantine-positive-covid-test

Edited by KittenPokerCheater
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Frisky Wig said:

I would love to see her make the podium again, but I'll be happy if she makes the finals and gets through it without injury. 

• Love 5

I can't seem to find the article but reddit is buzzing with the news that more than one member of team USA gymnastics may not be vaccinated and that USAG has low rates of vaccination across the board.

That is so depressing, if the most dominant team were to be held up in health and safety protocols.

• Love 1

The reddit page thought Simone wasn't vaccinated, but she said she was when asked in one of the press conferences she did get the vaccine.

Skinner is vaccinated. USA Gymnastics doesn't want a HIPPA lawsuit which is why they won't confirm who is vaccinated since they have enough legal issues at the moment.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

USA Gymnastics doesn't want a HIPPA lawsuit which is why they won't confirm who is vaccinated since they have enough legal issues at the moment.

They wouldn't be violating HIPAA by disclosing vaccination status of the gymnasts as USA Gymnastics are not the personal doctors, nurses, or pharmacists of the athletes. That doesn't mean they will confirm just that it wouldn't be a HIPAA violation if they did.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
47 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

They wouldn't be violating HIPAA by disclosing vaccination status of the gymnasts as USA Gymnastics are not the personal doctors, nurses, or pharmacists of the athletes. That doesn't mean they will confirm just that it wouldn't be a HIPAA violation if they did.

Thanks! My friend goes into people houses from birth to 3 and the company told her it was a HIPAA violation if they asked. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

Thanks! My friend goes into people houses from birth to 3 and the company told her it was a HIPAA violation if they asked. 

HIPAA has been generally misunderstood to mean that any health information cannot be disclosed period when it only refers to those in healthcare. To give an example, I'm free to tell people that my parents and various friends have been vaccinated because they all went through the Health Department instead of my pharmacy. I couldn't tell anyone if it were the other way around because I'd be violating HIPAA.

I hope any and all unvaccinated gymnasts still get at least the first dose or JJ before the games. They won't be fully vaccinated but it's better than putting themselves and others at risk. And USA Gymnastics needs to have vaccination policies if they don't already. That any of the athletes are still unvaccinated baffles me.

• Love 13
13 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

HIPAA has been generally misunderstood to mean that any health information cannot be disclosed period when it only refers to those in healthcare. To give an example, I'm free to tell people that my parents and various friends have been vaccinated because they all went through the Health Department instead of my pharmacy. I couldn't tell anyone if it were the other way around because I'd be violating HIPAA.

I hope any and all unvaccinated gymnasts still get at least the first dose or JJ before the games. They won't be fully vaccinated but it's better than putting themselves and others at risk. And USA Gymnastics needs to have vaccination policies if they don't already. That any of the athletes are still unvaccinated baffles me.

Thanks. That makes sense. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, choclatechip45 said:

You can ask.  They’re free to decline to answer. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I read an article today about Michael Andrew, a US swimmer heading to Tokyo yet unvaccinated. He stated that he has no plans to get vaxxed because he doesn’t know how his body will react and he’s concerned he’ll have to take days off from training after the shot. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/7910317002

Most people I know, myself included, felt sick a day, 2, 3 after a dose (especially the second) and had to miss at least a day of work. He’s an elite athlete and each day training is important leading up to something like the Games. So, part of me gets it. And this is a better reasoning than “I watched 3 TikTok videos featuring a 16-year-old in Dumbville, USA who told me that Fauci’s a liar and the vaccine screws with your DNA. That’s all I need to know. I know the science!! Not getting it!” HOWEVER! A much, much bigger part of me wonders if he knows just how many people have died from this illness and why he didn’t get the shot(s) months ago when missing a day or 2 of training was a little less crucial. 

I do wonder how many athletes feel this way. Maybe Leanne? 

• Love 5

I'm sorry, but that reasoning is bullshit. So, you're not gonna get a vaccine that might keep you from training for a couple days to protect yourself against a virus that could keep you from training for, you know, like forever. What an idiot lol.

13 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

And USA Gymnastics needs to have vaccination policies if they don't already. That any of the athletes are still unvaccinated baffles me.

This. It's astonishing to me. They really should have cancelled the games if they weren't gonna be smart about this.

• Love 23

Adding my name to the list of people surprised that USAG didn’t have vax requirements. I guess they’re too busy dealing with lawsuits, paying off their massive debt, cleaning up the mess they themselves made by decades of sweeping abuse under the rug, and pretending they give a rats ass about their athletes. 

• Love 17
(edited)

From the NBC Today Show website, when to watch Olympic gymnastics:

Olympic gymnastics will be held from July 24 to Aug. 3, 2021 in Tokyo; with the time difference, they begin July 23 in the United States. All times below are Eastern Daylight Time.

Friday, July 23 9 p.m. EDT: Twelve men's teams compete for a spot in the final; gymnasts also compete for spots in the all-around and apparatus finals.

Saturday, July 24, 8:30 p.m. EDT: Twelve women's teams compete for a spot in the final; gymnasts also compete for spots in the all-around and apparatus finals.

Monday, July 26, 6 a.m. EDT: The top eight teams compete in the men's gymnastics team final at Ariake Gymnastics Center.

Tuesday, July 27, 6:45 a.m. EDT: The top eight teams compete in the women's gymnastics team final at Ariake Gymnastics Center.

Wednesday, July 28, 6:15 a.m. EDT: The top 24 gymnasts compete in the men's individual all-around final at Ariake Gymnastics Center.

Thursday, July 29, 6:50 a.m. EDT: The top 24 gymnasts compete in the women's individual all-around final at Ariake Gymnastics Center.

Sunday, August 1, 4 a.m. EDT: The women compete on vault and uneven bars while the men compete on floor exercise and pommel horse.

Monday, August 2, 4 a.m. EDT: The women compete on floor exercise, while men compete on rings and vault.

Tuesday, August 3, 4 a.m. EDT: The women compete on balance beam, while the men compete on parallel bars and high bar.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Useful 8
  • Love 2

From what I have been reading in the papers, while neither the IOC or Japan are requiring athletes to be vaccinated for coronavirus, Japan is requiring 2 negative tests before travelers are allowed on a Tokyo-bound airplane, and another negative test on arrival.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Has anyone seen anything about the opening ceremonies?  Will they have the Parade of Nations?  It doesn’t seem smart to me to cram all the athletes together.  Maybe just have each country’s flag bearer?  I just can’t imagine an OC without an audience.

Oops! I meant to post this in the general Olympics thread.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Has anyone seen anything about the opening ceremonies?  Will they have the Parade of Nations?  It doesn’t seem smart to me to cram all the athletes together.  Maybe just have each country’s flag bearer?  I just can’t imagine an OC without an audience.

I know Katie Ledecky is supposed to be carrying the flag.

• Love 4

From USA Today Sports:

As far as the look and sound of the Games when viewers watch the opening ceremony, no decision has been made about how many athletes will be allowed to march.

The network will not add artificial crowd sound for events, but the plan is to have more in-venue audio that captures natural sound. 

Many of the 613-member U.S. contingent aren't expected to be in attendance at Olympic Stadium for the opening ceremony. As is the case with previous Games, some athletes choose not to attend, opting to rest before competition. It's also unclear with social distancing how many athletes will be allowed to participate. 

The last version of the athletes’ playbook says “additional rules will apply” for the opening and closing ceremonies, but provides no specifics.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

I wonder if someone made that up. There is usually some big announcement plus I have been a Nets fan since I was a kid and none of our local beat reporters have mentioned it and whenever Durant does anything regarding the Olympics they cover it. 

Kevin, Katie and Simone would be good choices but don't gymnasts not go to the opening ceremony because they have competition so soon afterwards?

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Kevin, Katie and Simone would be good choices but don't gymnasts not go to the opening ceremony because they have competition so soon afterwards?

Yes but neither do swimmers when Phelps did it they made special arrangements. Simone also was the flag bearer at the closing ceremonies at Rio. Allyson Felix would be another good choice. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

While the opening ceremonies have become incredibly bloated and need trimming down (IMO), an Olympics without the March of Nations (or whatever it's called) wouldn't feel like an Olympics.  On the other hand, a March of Nations into an empty stadium is going to be just weird. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

This is really interesting. I did notice that this is the first US team that I can remember where they’re all over 18. I wonder how much the average age increase is because of the extra year. None of the newly age eligible gymnasts were much of a threat. This is a team that could have made it last year (maybe not Jordan), but obviously are all a year older now.

• Love 3
On 7/11/2021 at 10:47 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

From the NBC Today Show website, when to watch Olympic gymnastics:

Olympic gymnastics will be held from July 24 to Aug. 3, 2021 in Tokyo; with the time difference, they begin July 23 in the United States. All times below are Eastern Daylight Time.

Friday, July 23 9 p.m. EDT: Twelve men's teams compete for a spot in the final; gymnasts also compete for spots in the all-around and apparatus finals.

Saturday, July 24, 8:30 p.m. EDT: Twelve women's teams compete for a spot in the final; gymnasts also compete for spots in the all-around and apparatus finals.

Monday, July 26, 6 a.m. EDT: The top eight teams compete in the men's gymnastics team final at Ariake Gymnastics Center.

Tuesday, July 27, 6:45 a.m. EDT: The top eight teams compete in the women's gymnastics team final at Ariake Gymnastics Center.

Wednesday, July 28, 6:15 a.m. EDT: The top 24 gymnasts compete in the men's individual all-around final at Ariake Gymnastics Center.

Thursday, July 29, 6:50 a.m. EDT: The top 24 gymnasts compete in the women's individual all-around final at Ariake Gymnastics Center.

Sunday, August 1, 4 a.m. EDT: The women compete on vault and uneven bars while the men compete on floor exercise and pommel horse.

Monday, August 2, 4 a.m. EDT: The women compete on floor exercise, while men compete on rings and vault.

Tuesday, August 3, 4 a.m. EDT: The women compete on balance beam, while the men compete on parallel bars and high bar.

Note that these may be seen on the FREE nbcolympics.com on your computer.  The strange thing is that you can watch the "Main Camera" view or "Apparatus View."

• Useful 2
31 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

The strange thing is that you can watch the "Main Camera" view or "Apparatus View."

I'll take whichever view isn't showing the balance beam or pommel horse end-on.  While a brief cut to that angle is fine, there were several times during Nationals and Trials where an entire routine was shown that way and it drove me crazy because you can't see anything much.  

• Love 9
(edited)

That dream job question stopped me for a few minutes because I wasn't really interested in any of them. I went between teacher and librarian though before I chose one of the two. My result ended up being...

Jade Carey

Introspective and wise, you always know just what to do to achieve what you want. When a situation arises, you are able to calculate and maneuver your way through it and end up ahead of the pack. Nobody stands in the way of what you want, and you quietly take every right step to command a situation and prove your worth.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1