Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09&E10: The Christmas Spirit (Ghostsmas) Parts 1&2

Neptune
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Skooma said:

And doing "irresponsible" things in a sitcom?  Yes, all the time otherwise these shows on TV would cause us all to "die" ... of boredom.

Sure, if they want to electrocute themselves.  But it wouldn't be consistent with Sam's character to encourage another person to do something that actually killed Eric.

4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

They also need to do something about that light if you can so easily get zapped by it. Makes me wonder how they got permits for the place.

As long as they don't unscrew it again and touch the exposed wires with a screwdriver, they should be fine.

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I remember it being a thing with t-shirts when I was a teenager, but not sweaters.

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I haven't seen her do it with sweaters, but a coworker does that with other shirts all the time.  It's a look.  Not one I care for but it exists in the real world.

I think that people with flat stomachs often tuck t-shirts or blouses into pants or jeans. The difference with a sweater, is that a sweater is thick.  If you can tuck it in your jeans, your waistband is probably too loose to wear it untucked without a belt

The Princess of Wales just tucked a bulky sweater into her pants, and people had thoughts! (read the comments.): https://www.newmyroyals.com/2022/12/the-princess-of-wales-shared-video-of.html

(For those who don't know, the British call a sweater a "jumper".)

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, possibilities said:

I wonder if they'll  have a possession storyline once in every season. 

I'm up for annual possession storylines, but since this happened:

12 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I hope they don't.  I know it's a sitcom, but Sam and Jay took a risk allowing Eric to electrocute himself, and they actually lost, since he died.  Only because it is a sitcom was Thor able to revive him.  Wouldn't Sam and Jay have felt forever responsible for his death, along with Bela and Trevor?  It was irresponsible to let Eric do it, and they would be actual criminals if they convinced/allowed someone else to do it. 

I would prefer if the livings and ghosts all agree not to try the screwdriver in the socket ever again, 
and any future possessions happen by accident. 
Like maybe the ghosts are having fun jumping off the roof, and one them (Flower maybe?) accidentally lands on Mark.
But I think the best use of this storyline would be for Bela to accidentally wind up spending Valentine's Day possessed by a ghost and able to spend time with Trevor. Maybe they'd wind up deciding they'd rather just be friends.

3 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

I didn't really like the storyline with Eric letting himself get possessed. It was a little disturbing and kinda sad and gross. And Bela did not come off well on it, at least to me. 

I have felt uncomfortable about scifi plots in which one person takes over another's body (whether accidentally or on purpose) and then does things in that body that the person whose body it is would not normally do. 
But in this story, first Trevor asked Bela's permission.
Then Bela sat Eric down and asked for his permission.
Also, for me, since one of my single, middle-aged children was part of a thrupple for about a year, I figure it's more accepted these days among a certain set, but, yeah, if that's what bothered you, I get it.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

The ending with Trevor and Hetty really took me by surprise. I wonder if it will be a one-off gag or if there will be follow-up. On this show I'm pretty confident it'll be a thing going forward.

Yes, the Trevor Hetty surprise ending was a comedic success because there were no spoilers and we only saw a few seconds of it. 
Plus, it kind of made up for Bela and Trevor not getting to see each other, and means that Trevor won't be too heartbroken if he learns that Bela and Eric are getting married.
I think it would lose some of its impact (both comedic and for the ghosts) if it happened too often.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 10
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, appositival said:

Why do they have to drive through the barrier to disposes someone? Wouldn't a hearty stroll do as well?

Maybe it’s like pulling off a bandaid, but worse, so best to do it as quickly as possible?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

They also need to do something about that light if you can so easily get zapped by it. Makes me wonder how they got permits for the place.

It’s 2022. If you remove any switch plate/outlet cover in your household and poke around with a screwdriver, you’ll get the same result. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Awww I always thought that Isaac might have changed into his uniform before he died, but this was so much sweeter. Even if Isaac and his wife didn't have that kind of love, they clearly still cared about each other and I am sure that she would want him to be happy. Now Isaac and Nigel can finally have their big kiss, on Christmas with festive lights everywhere. How very Hallmark. 

Rose McIver as Thor was a delight, I had no idea that was coming. She did a great job, she nailed a lot of his inflections and his posture, but she also did a really nice job when she started to cry, being so touched by the Christmas present. I am also taking the many jokes about the cheesy Hallmark style Christmas movies as a reference to Rose's own career making cheesy Hallmark style Christmas movies. She's carrying the whole Christmas Prince franchise on her back! 

Nice to see Bela again, of course Jay knows the real way to get Bela and Eric together, he knows his sister. No sane man would willingly get electrocuted so that the woman he likes can date a ghost who possesses him, so now he's messed up enough to be her type! This is also the second time that someone sees Trevor and noted his excellent cheekbones right away. 

I got excited when Pete mentioned the Feast of the Seven Fishes, its such a fun tradition that you never see on television. 

So many great lines, as always. The whole cast just nails every beat. "What are your thoughts on Danes?" 

So much happened in these episodes! Isaac and Nigel finally kissed, Thor learned the true meaning of Christmas, Bela might have found a boyfriend who is very understanding of ghosts, and, in the biggest gasp moment of them all, Trevor and Hetty are hooking up! Its weird, but I can actually see it, I cannot wait until everyone else finds out. The gasps will be so loud that even Jay might hear them. 

• Like 8
  • Love 16
4 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

posters here are getting a little too hung up on the minutiae of the practical points

Criticizing the logical errors in fantasy stories is one of my favorite (evil and pointless) pleasures!

"Every time you bring real-world physics into Hollywood, God kills a catgirl. So please, think of the catgirls."

Anonymous

Edited by appositival
  • Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 10
3 hours ago, Daff said:

It’s 2022. If you remove any switch plate/outlet cover in your household and poke around with a screwdriver, you’ll get the same result. 

But wasn't Sam just trying to screw the base back onto the wall? That shouldn't have gotten her zapped.

3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

She's carrying the whole Christmas Prince franchise on her back! 

A Christmas Prints!

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, appositival said:

Criticizing the logical errors in fantasy stories is one of my favorite (evil and pointless) pleasures!

"Every time you bring real-world physics into Hollywood, God kills a catgirl. So please, think of the catgirls."

Anonymous

It's also fun when reality creeps in to the fantasy stories - last week Trevor's anecdote about fratboys pissing on the ben franklin-on-a-bench statue at Penn is true (at least until "public safety" cameras became ubiquitous), and his comment about ruining the 7th night of chanukah on christmas eve is accurate on this year's calendar.

• Like 4
  • Useful 6
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I hope they don't.  I know it's a sitcom, but Sam and Jay took a risk allowing Eric to electrocute himself, and they actually lost, since he died.  Only because it is a sitcom was Thor able to revive him.  Wouldn't Sam and Jay have felt forever responsible for his death, along with Bela and Trevor?  It was irresponsible to let Eric do it, and they would be actual criminals if they convinced/allowed someone else to do it. 

Did I miss something? Sam was possessed during that whole sequence and had no say in what was happening. It was Thor and Jay (and Bela) allowing Eric to electrocute himself, no? So there would have been no reason for Sam to feel responsible at all.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I have felt uncomfortable about scifi plots in which one person takes over another's body (whether accidentally or on purpose) and then does things in that body that the person whose body it is would not normally do. 
Also, for me, since one of my single, middle-aged children was part of a thrupple for about a year, I figure it's more accepted these days among a certain set, but, yeah, if that's what bothered you, I get it.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised that they went with the whole "asking permission" aspect. Not just for the obvious reasons, but also because it made it all the more fun to see just how far Bela and Eric were both willing to go with this crazy plan :D. 

I also liked the throuple aspect simply because of the novel idea of one consisting of two living people and a ghost :p. That's one that not even Flower's done!

Regarding all the talk about Sam tucking her sweater in, that reminds me that I meant to say last night that I really liked that sweater. She has some of the cutest clothes on this show. 

• Like 9
  • Love 2

I laughed a lot watching these episodes. I literally guffawed when Isaac gave Nigel the hand to the face, then got sad as the scene played out. 

So much good stuff to remember but, I like that there's someone else who knows about the ghosts and even though he died, Eric knows what they look like now, except Thor. I loved the continuity of Flower introducing herself to the freshly dead Eric and explaining how she died, heh. And yes, it was Roberta who told them to dump Eric in the lake with Trevor. I laughed so hard! 

Trevor and Sass's faces as they watched Bela ask Eric to let Trevor possess him were amazing. The scene when Jay tries to convince Eric to come back and that dude in the background heckling them and then all, 'There's kids here!' Honestly everyone was at the top of their game, I was thoroughly entertained and I'll be watching it again this weekend to catch things I missed. Well done, all around. 

• Like 8
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, HawaiiTVGuy said:

Biggest question I have, how did Thor realize he could shock Eric back?  Like the odds are low that he would know how a defib works right or that electricity in general can help revive someone?

Maybe he saw it on TV...

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Rose McIver as Thor was a delight, I had no idea that was coming. She did a great job, she nailed a lot of his inflections and his posture,

With the posture, she even somehow looked bigger when she was possessed by Thor. It was so noticeable to me that I actually wondered if they padded her clothes during those scenes to make her look more bulky.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1

I loved this episode, but why have Thor comment on how he now realized Christmas was about family without mentioning his son next door, whom he could have frickin visited (and even hugged) in Rose's body???

Oops:

32 minutes ago, christie said:

Thor wouldn't have been able to hug Bjorn in Sam's body since the Farnsby's place is out of limits.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I loved this episode, but why have Thor comment on how he now realized Christmas was about family without mentioning his son next door, whom he could have frickin visited (and even hugged) in Rose's body???

I, too,wondered about Bjorn everytime Thor mentioned family however Thor wouldn't have been able to hug Bjorn in Sam's body since the Farnsby's place is out of limits.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
27 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Ooops! Right.
Maybe they could have stood at the property line and high fived each other? 
Next time?

Reading these comments makes me realize just how much I missed, watching live!  What?  How I hope the network will replay these episodes next week so I can watch live again.  Wink, wink.  For example, I did NOT know about Trevor/Hetty.  Oh, my gosh!  Guess I nodded off before the end.

• Useful 1

Trevor: "You ruined the seventh day of Hanukkah!"

Alberta and the Christmas Cookies.

Did they use the term "gay" back in revolutionary war days?

It was cute that the movie Jay and Sam were watching parallel their own lives (how can movie couple afford that house?!)

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Reading these comments makes me realize just how much I missed, watching live!  What?  How I hope the network will replay these episodes next week so I can watch live again.  Wink, wink.  For example, I did NOT know about Trevor/Hetty.  Oh, my gosh!  Guess I nodded off before the end.

Thursday, 12/22, CBS is re-airing five episodes (8-11pm ET) they claim are “viewer favorites”. I’m curious, because I couldn’t pick out just one favorite. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
24 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Did they use the term "gay" back in revolutionary war days?

I don't think so. According to wikipedia: "While scant usage referring to male homosexuality dates to the late 19th century, that meaning became increasingly common by the mid-20th century."

Another site says the OED added gay meaning homosexual in 1951. (It won't let me copy text so here's a screenshot.)

image.thumb.png.057f283f4b3d9cabe4b26b0863c619ca.png

But it was a dream and Isaac's certainly become familiar with that usage from haunting through the years so I'll give it a pass.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 5
  • Useful 4
21 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The idea of a thrupple didn't bother me it was more that I got the feeling the Bela was taking advantage of Eric liking her so much when for her he was just a guy she manipulated into this. I didn't get the feeling she really gave a damn about Eric at all. 

• Like 13
  • Useful 2
5 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

The idea of a thrupple didn't bother me it was more that I got the feeling the Bela was taking advantage of Eric liking her so much when for her he was just a guy she manipulated into this. I didn't get the feeling she really gave a damn about Eric at all. 

Fair point, but it seemed in the end Bella did appreciate Eric. I guess?  
IDK. I look back on some guys who were interested in me but who I found too boring to bear and still think of them as just a different kind of bullet I dodged than my ex. 
Fortunately, in this fictional universe we have terrific (IMO) writers who will make any future Bella relationships worthwhile, whether for comedic or warm-hearted moments.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

The season 1 DnD episode is the one I watch most frequently, and I am watching it again right now and OMG Nigel and Baxter and Jenkins storm in to reclaim the house and Isaac says, without a moment’s hesitation, that “if you insist that the time for words has passed… then no matter the cost in blood or treasure… my army and I will defend this house to the bitter end.”

I think the kiss at the end of this Christmas Part 2 episode is a lovely callback to the ability Isaac has always had to fight for what is important to him no matter his fears. And I love the idea that Nigel is part of his home now.

(Also, Nigel replied then that if it is war Isaac wants then it is war Isaac shall have and gives it to him and that is a wonderful foreshadowing, too. I swoon.)

Edited by KarenX
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I don't think so. According to wikipedia: "While scant usage referring to male homosexuality dates to the late 19th century, that meaning became increasingly common by the mid-20th century."

Another site says the OED added gay meaning homosexual in 1951. (It won't let me copy text so here's a screenshot.)

image.thumb.png.057f283f4b3d9cabe4b26b0863c619ca.png

But it was a dream and Isaac's certainly become familiar with that usage from haunting through the years so I'll give it a pass.

It was common knowledge at the height of his career, that Cary Grant was gay, or at least bi-sexual.

• Useful 2
23 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

Does anyone else but me think that posters here are getting a little too hung up on the minutiae of the practical points (such as what to do before you use a defibrillator), rather than just enjoying the show as it is presented, with all it's whimsy and delight?

But getting hung up on the minutiae is whimsical and delightful! That is the service message boards provide! Coming here after a new episode to chatter and opine makes the fun last a lot longer than the show’s run time.

We pick it apart so we can remember it better and spend more time in its world.

• Like 8
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Daff said:

Thursday, 12/22, CBS is re-airing five episodes (8-11pm ET) they claim are “viewer favorites”. I’m curious, because I couldn’t pick out just one favorite. 

According to my cable guide this episode will repeat on Tuesday at ten.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2

Even if Isaac and his wife didn't have that kind of love, they clearly still cared about each other and I am sure that she would want him to be happy. 

I think Isaac's wife probably thought she had a pretty good marriage. Isaac might not have been sexually attracted to her but he didn't cheat on her because he was in denial about his homosexuality. He was also likely a very kind husband in an era where it wasn't always so. Depending on how much of a priority his wife placed on their sex life, she might have considered herself pretty lucky overall. Especially relative to others.

Biggest question I have, how did Thor realize he could shock Eric back?  Like the odds are low that he would know how a defib works right or that electricity in general can help revive someone?

I didn't get why Jay had a defibrillator, either. Is that something a lot of people have on hand, just in case? Like a fire extinguisher?

Maybe they could have stood at the property line and high fived each other? 

They already established that the Farnsbys are two doors down, so there's a yard separating them. 

Does anyone else but me think that posters here are getting a little too hung up on the minutiae of the practical points (such as what to do before you use a defibrillator), rather than just enjoying the show as it is presented, with all it's whimsy and delight?

This show is surprisingly good at addressing little details like that, for a network sitcom. And also leaving room for interpretation. So no, I don't think anyone is getting too hung up on the minutia, I think it's just fun to speculate and hypothesize. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I didn't get why Jay had a defibrillator, either. Is that something a lot of people have on hand, just in case? Like a fire extinguisher?

I’ve seen them at shopping malls. Maybe it is part of operating a business?

• Like 7
  • Useful 4
6 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I wonder what the average age is of people who would choose a B&B over a regular hotel...would be a good thing to have on hand if you have a lot of older guests. Though if you're going to have it you should learn how to use it before you need it.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
25 minutes ago, KarenX said:

Maybe it is part of operating a business?

It is definitely a good idea to have one on hand if you are running a business.  Too bad they didn't take the time to learn how to use it. But I did love Thor just taking over and shocking Eric back to life. I guess he figured that if electricity can kill people it can bring them back again.

I loved the episodes and look forward to watching again.

• Love 2

Jay being frustrated at the ad before the Youtube video is so relatable. I complain everyday. I miss the days when you just click and watch without those pesky ads. I learned to just refresh the page so I don't have to watch them. The real annoying ones are in the middle of the video that doesn't even have the skip button at 5 seconds.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Like 6
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I have been watching it so many times. I was trying to get all the words (English is not my first language). There is one scene stuck in my head the whole day and night. That's the ghost choir sang to Sam. My heart is full. 💖

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, bobby2018 said:

I have been watching it so many times. I was trying to get all the words (English is not my first language). There is one scene stuck in my head the whole day and night. That's the ghost choir sang to Sam. My heart is full. 💖

That was lovely :). They sang so beautifully! I love that they wanted to do that for Sam. 

• Like 5
  • Love 3

Most every public space these days has a defibrillator hanging on the wall. You put the sensors in the designated positions on the victim’s chest and side, the MACHINE tells you what to do…fairly explicitly. You just sit back (clear), read the screen, and follow the directions. They were intentionally designed so that anyone can safely use them (although it helps if you’ve got some CPR, and knowledge of rescue breathing techniques). Step #1, however, will always be call 911! Jay could have avoided going for a video if he had just looked at the directions when it arrived.

That said, the American Red Cross CPR classes are available everywhere and are fairly easy to complete  I laugh when I see detectives on TV performing chest compressions-they’re always too slow or WAY too fast! (Generally, the beat of the disco song “Stayin’ Alive”, only difficult if you’re too young NOT to have it ingrained on your brain).

• Like 3
  • Useful 6
3 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

According to my cable guide this episode will repeat on Tuesday at ten.

Yes, that’s the Christmas episode. However, Thursday is advertised as a “Viewer’s Choice Marathon”. No idea how they identified which episodes the viewers picked as “choice”. That’s why I’m curious… we all have different ideas about favorite episodes, but frankly, I’ve really liked them all and would be hard-pressed to choose just a few. Maybe they just threw up the five most viewed and streamed?

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

That was lovely :). They sang so beautifully! I love that they wanted to do that for Sam. 

Do we know if the ghost actors really sang that? It seemed too perfectly harmonious, unless all the ghost actors are also trained singers. I thought they may have been lip-syncing to a recorded song.

22 minutes ago, Daff said:

I laugh when I see detectives on TV performing chest compressions-they’re always too slow or WAY too fast! (Generally, the beat of the disco song “Stayin’ Alive”, only difficult if you’re too young NOT to have it ingrained on your brain).

I'm not too young to have that song ingrained on my brain, though I might have trouble using it for CPR because the beat is always paired in my head with Travolta striding down the street, which could be distracting in an emergency situation.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, Daff said:

I laugh when I see detectives on TV performing chest compressions-they’re always too slow or WAY too fast!

And usually trying to do it at an ineffective angle. My trainer told us to put our shoulders directly above the patient.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Paloma said:
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Do we know if the ghost actors really sang that? It seemed too perfectly harmonious, unless all the ghost actors are also trained singers. I thought they may have been lip-syncing to a recorded song.

Definitely not the ghost actors singing. 

• Like 1

I'm surprised that it took almost a full page of comments before someone commented about Eric apparently not being able to see the ghosts, even though he died.  Someone else figured that not everyone who dies and comes back can see ghosts, and I can buy that, that it has to be a certain confluence of events.  But, I don't know why no one in the room - either the ghosts, Sam, Jay or Bela - weren't immediately asking Eric if he could see the ghosts.  That part was even weirder than Eric not being able to see the ghosts.  It would have been funny for Flower to have an entire conversation with him, assuming he could see her, when he couldn't.

Of course, what I'm really hoping for, is that Eric actually could see them, but didn't want to steal Sam's second Christmas away (since Thor took the first) so just pretended not to see them.  And that the next episode will pick up the next day, with Bela and Eric leaving, and as they go he'll turn around and wave to the ghosts.   I think it would be fun to have Eric and Bela visit again, and Sam would have someone who understands her perspective, and Jay would have someone that understands his. 

Anyways, a very fun double episode.  I'm glad the network  likes this show enough to let them do things like this, and give them an hour for a christmas special.  I love Hetty & Trevor getting together.  Although, if I remember right, if they're going to have sex to release sexual tension, won't that result in um, just more sexual tension? 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Definitely not the ghost actors singing. 

Check out Richie Moriarity's Instagram! It was, indeed, all of them in the cast, there are pictures of them in the recording studio. I was surprised: from the show itself and from "Ghosts: The Musical", we know Richie and Danielle can sing, maybe Brandon, but I wasn't sure about the rest. Good for them!

Even if you hate Instagram and TikTok (and I do, especially TikTok), the actors post some really funny stuff on there. The cast also interacts with each other in humorous ways in the Instagram comments of things they post.

Edited by wembley
  • Like 3
  • Useful 5
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Annber03 said:

The best thing was that the cast was able to celebrate together. They wrap up shooting the season on Thursday.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
On 12/17/2022 at 5:16 AM, HawaiiTVGuy said:

It was a call back to his special ghost power of manipulating the lights/electricity.  My handwaved explanation is that he pulled power from the house's electricity and zapped Eric back.

As for how to do it: bored ghosts with tv, a lifetime (death time?) Of watching anything the livings do, and probably a general interest in how to keep your own warriors/soldiers alive contribute to observing medics/EMTs/nurses/doctors etc.

Where I live businesses are legally required to have a defib on site. Friends of mine were required to get one for their business by their insurance company.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

It just occurred to me that Eric might have thought that letting Bela 'use' his body would help him get out of the friend zone. I doubt that Bela and Trevor were just going to talk.

Eric obviously loves Bela and he would now be able to say, "You've seen me naked", or words to that effect. Eric isn't (apparently) manipulative so I doubt that he would use guilt, but in the right situation that feeling of debt in Bella's mind could tip the scales in his favor.

I suppose his dying could help too (since that's what actually clinched the deal), but he couldn't have planned that part.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1