Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09&E10: The Christmas Spirit (Ghostsmas) Parts 1&2

Neptune
  • Start Topic

16 hours ago, Daff said:

Generally, the beat of the disco song “Stayin’ Alive”, only difficult if you’re too young NOT to have it ingrained on your brain

I was wondering what the tempo of “Stayin’ Alive” is (103  beats per minute), because I wasn't sure if I was pumping on one or on one and three. I accidentally found a list of other songs for the disco deficient.

Personally I would go with "Life Is a Highway" although I watched and enjoyed the “Stayin’ Alive" movie when it first came out.

(about “Stayin’ Alive" movie)

Spoiler

When Tony Manero (John Travolta) gave the dance trophy to the Puerto Rican dancers (they were clearly better than his 'iconic' disco dance) it was a beautiful moment.

Edited by appositival
accidentially posted early
  • Love 3
On 12/16/2022 at 2:32 PM, shapeshifter said:

I think it would lose some of its impact (both comedic and for the ghosts) if it happened too often.

It could work as a secret kinda friends with benefits type thing. They keep it quiet, in front of the others their friendship is the same as always, perhaps slightly more antagonistic to compensate and then randomly their lust gets the better of them and they run off for a snog in a hidden corner. One by one the other ghosts find out in a "okay, but don't tell anyone else" until it's a secret they all know but don't know they all know. 

It could be funny if next xmas, when Bela comes again, Hetty is jealous and tries to properly haunt her to get her to leave but Bela is kinda into it, being haunted and Hetty gets even more frustrated. 

I think they could get a lot of mileage out if the pairing so long as they don't make it some kind of true love fairytale type thing but keep it a bit saucy/naughty, like they're both ashamed of it but that makes it that much more exciting for them. lol

I loved this extra-large Christmas special. Such fun. I did find the whole consenting possession thing a bit much, though I love that it was consensual. I just wish they'd found a different way to do it as the whole killing Eric thing seemed a bit much. Though it was kind of worth it for Isaac's "so, he's staying" line when Eric ghosted. (I think it was Isaac. I hear it in Isaac's voice so I'm assuming.)

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Like 4
  • Fire 2
  • Love 1

I'm surprised that it took almost a full page of comments before someone commented about Eric apparently not being able to see the ghosts, even though he died.  Someone else figured that not everyone who dies and comes back can see ghosts, and I can buy that, that it has to be a certain confluence of events.  But, I don't know why no one in the room - either the ghosts, Sam, Jay or Bela - weren't immediately asking Eric if he could see the ghosts.  That part was even weirder than Eric not being able to see the ghosts.  It would have been funny for Flower to have an entire conversation with him, assuming he could see her, when he couldn't.

If you go back and watch the pilot, Sam actually sees the ghosts as soon as she falls down the stairs and hits her head, before she loses consciousness. I think she may be under the impression that her ability comes from having been clinically dead, partly due to what the ghost doctor told her. But she was able to see a couple of the ghosts at the top of the stairs before she ever died. (It was the same with Alison in the UK version.)

So it seems like it has more to do with her head injury. Maybe if you hit your head in just the right way it activates some dormant part of your brain. But it has to be hit just so.

• Like 6
  • Useful 8
4 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

It could work as a secret kinda friends with benefits type thing. They keep it quiet, in front of the others their friendship is the same as always, perhaps slightly more antagonistic to compensate and then randomly their lust gets the better of them and they run off for a snog in a hidden corner. One by one the other ghosts find out in a "okay, but don't tell anyone else" until it's a secret they all know but don't know they all know.

I can totally see things playing out like this :D. 

And on the topic of kissing, I love that for all the talk of mistletoe throughout the episode, nobody actually wound up kissing anyone under said mistletoe :p. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

I kind of liked this episode, but it really bothered me that some of hte ghosts were conspiring against Sam to help Thor stay inside her when she was clearly wanting him out.  Trevor possessing Eric to get with Bela was creepy enough, but at least they got Eric's permission.  And that may have only been because it would be hard to trick him into getting electocuted and falling into Trevor.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I kind of liked this episode, but it really bothered me that some of hte ghosts were conspiring against Sam to help Thor stay inside her when she was clearly wanting him out.

I was actually a little annoyed at Sam for wanting him out so quickly.  As I think Sass pointed out, he's been a ghost for 1,000 years.  Geez, give the guy a day to eat as much fish as you possibly can (which I know he already had a lot), eat cheetos so he and Hetty have something to talk about, give the man some chocolate or cheesecake, stuff that didn't exist when he was alive.  Let him play playstation with Jay, pet a squirrel. 

6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

If you go back and watch the pilot, Sam actually sees the ghosts as soon as she falls down the stairs and hits her head, before she loses consciousness. I think she may be under the impression that her ability comes from having been clinically dead, partly due to what the ghost doctor told her. But she was able to see a couple of the ghosts at the top of the stairs before she ever died. (It was the same with Alison in the UK version.)

I don't doubt that this is correct, but if so, it irks me a bit, because IRRC the characters all pretty much have said that Sam can see ghosts because she died for a few minutes.  Same with the UK version.  I have a hard time buying that this is a continuity error, especially on the US version, because they've been so amazingly good at everything else.  But it doesn't seem to be consistent. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, chaifan said:

I was actually a little annoyed at Sam for wanting him out so quickly.  As I think Sass pointed out, he's been a ghost for 1,000 years.  Geez, give the guy a day to eat as much fish as you possibly can (which I know he already had a lot), eat cheetos so he and Hetty have something to talk about, give the man some chocolate or cheesecake, stuff that didn't exist when he was alive.  Let him play playstation with Jay, pet a squirrel. 

I felt the same way. I would have understood if say a reviewer was coming or Sam had to go to a job interview or something that Thor would have royally screwed up, but 1000 years of being stuck just watching life is agony, and Sam knows it, she's heard them talk about how much they wish they could eat or do other Living things. Give the guy one day. It would have been different if he'd tricked her into being possessed but it was an accident and he has been dead the longest so it would have meant so much to him. I also have a soft spot for Thor so I may be biased.

I get that it's kind of creepy having someone else in your body, but these people are her friends/family at this point. I think Thor wouldn't have done anything horrible with her body. He just wanted to eat lots of fish lol

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
18 minutes ago, chaifan said:

Really?  You were annoyed that she didn't want her body completely controlled by someone else (friend or not) with her stuffed down into the subconscious, possibly knowing or not knowing what was going on with her body, but having absolutely no say?  She should have been cool with that whether she was or not?  Because I can tell you right now, I would so not be down with that.  She was basically kidnapped for hours.

I know they played it off for laughs, but that would be absolutely terrifying to be so out of control of your own body.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
Just now, Katy M said:

Really?  You were annoyed that she didn't want her body completely controlled by someone else (friend or not) with her stuffed down into the subconscious, possibly knowing or not knowing what was going on with her body, but having absolutely no say?  She should have been cool with that whether she was or not?  Because I can tell you right now, I would so not be down with that.  She was basically kidnapped for hours.

I know they played it off for laughs, but that would be absolutely terrifying to be so out of control of your own body.

I agree Thorfin might not have wanted to leave Sam's body and she couldn't force him out. I thought Eric was obsessed with Bela and I found a bit creepy. Why didn't he spend the holiday with his own family?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
44 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Because it's a comedy.  About ghosts.  The absolute gall of them to play off ghost possession for laughs.  20 lashes with a wet noodle for them all.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, chaifan said:

Because it's a comedy.  About ghosts.  The absolute gall of them to play off ghost possession for laughs.  20 lashes with a wet noodle for them all.

I understand that, but I still found the whole thing very disturbing.

2 hours ago, chaifan said:

IRRC the characters all pretty much have said that Sam can see ghosts because she died for a few minutes. 

Yes, that's been said more than once. 
So I'm expecting next visit from Eric we will learn that he can see ghosts. 

• Useful 2
On 12/17/2022 at 3:11 AM, ams1001 said:

Maybe he saw it on TV...

I was thinking that was possible but I couldn't think of a show that might have had straight electricity (non-defib variety) bring someone back...except maybe Frankenstein?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm expecting next visit from Eric we will learn that he can see ghosts.

I suspect the showrunners want Sam to be unique in her ability or Eric would already be seeing ghosts.

9 hours ago, HawaiiTVGuy said:

I couldn't think of a show that might have had straight electricity (non-defib variety) bring someone back.

Any hospital or emergency show generally starts someone's heart a couple of times a year. defibrillators also get used as weapons (X-Files) occasionally, which Thorfin would like and remember.
Anyway, Someone could have told Thorfin that the defibrillator is like lightning in a box.

Edited by appositival
forgot my point the first time.
  • Like 7
  • Useful 1

As I recall, Hetty told Thor to run through the light or something similar to keep him in Sam's body, but I didn't understand what that meant. Can anyone explain what that means or refers to?

• Useful 1
27 minutes ago, DanaK said:

As I recall, Hetty told Thor to run through the light or something similar to keep him in Sam's body, but I didn't understand what that meant. Can anyone explain what that means or refers to?

I don't think we (the viewers) are really meant to understand it.  The point was, Hetty was giving Thor tips on how to stay in Sam's body, based on what she learned while in Jay's, in exchange for Thor setting Sam's phone to play the lumberjack videos. 

ETA:  for those wondering how Thor knew to shock Eric, my fanwanking of it all is that Sam was a bit in control at that point, so she was guiding Thor in what to do.  But I agree, it would have made more sense if an episode or two ago we had the gang watching old ER reruns, or something like that, and Thor was running around holding out his hands shouting "clear!" at the other ghosts. 

Edited by chaifan
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 12/17/2022 at 1:26 PM, iMonrey said:

I didn't get why Jay had a defibrillator, either. Is that something a lot of people have on hand, just in case? Like a fire extinguisher?

Since they're running a business on the property, not just living there, it's a good thing to have on hand.  Learning to use it before you need it is also a good idea, but . . . 

On 12/17/2022 at 4:59 PM, Daff said:

I laugh when I see detectives on TV performing chest compressions-they’re always too slow or WAY too fast!

Yep, usually too slow and not hard enough, but they wouldn't want to actually break the breast bone or ribs on the actors.

16 hours ago, Katy M said:

In the context of a comedy show, I think Sam should've let Thorfin stay a bit longer, yes.  I get why she didn't want to, though.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

In the context of a comedy show, I think Sam should've let Thorfin stay a bit longer, yes.  I get why she didn't want to, though.

In the context of a comedy show, they should  have just had the possession the same as Jay's when he never had any takeover control.  To me, it became unfunny when she was desperately trying to get him out and all her so-called friends conspired against her to keep him in.  If she never had the ability to say anything about it, it wouldn't have been so bothersome.

• Like 4
28 minutes ago, Katy M said:

In the context of a comedy show, they should  have just had the possession the same as Jay's when he never had any takeover control.  To me, it became unfunny when she was desperately trying to get him out and all her so-called friends conspired against her to keep him in.  If she never had the ability to say anything about it, it wouldn't have been so bothersome.

To each, their own.  I found it quite funny.

• Like 2
On 12/17/2022 at 2:59 PM, Daff said:

I laugh when I see detectives on TV performing chest compressions-they’re always too slow or WAY too fast! 

Also, only laymen are taught to go straight for the chest compressions. Medical professionals all know (or at least they should) that you should be stabilizing the airway first.

One of my major TV pet peeves is the EMTs and ER staff jumping into chest compressions before intubating the patient.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, appositival said:

I suspect the showrunners want Sam to be unique in her ability or Eric would already be seeing ghosts.

The handyman's son saw ghosts. 
I think it could work if, for instance, Bela and Eric decide to move to Seattle together and he only visits once a year, and even then it might be off-screen sometimes. 

4 hours ago, DanaK said:

A lot of stories and shows and general campfire lore and recountings of near-death experiences state that when someone is unconscious and close to death, they see a light at the end of a dark tunnel; if they choose to not go into the light, they will stay in their body and revive; if they go into the light, they will die and become an angel or whatever (Ghost Whisperer and Touched By An Angel did it to death -- hah, no pun intended) 
So either Hetty had some version of that experience, or she's heard it said on TV. 
But, yeah, Hetty maybe had it backwards?

4 hours ago, chaifan said:

it would have made more sense if an episode or two ago we had the gang watching old ER reruns, or something like that, and Thor was running around holding out his hands shouting "clear!" at the other ghosts. 

I flove this idea, and it is now canon in my head.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I don't doubt that this is correct, but if so, it irks me a bit, because IRRC the characters all pretty much have said that Sam can see ghosts because she died for a few minutes.  Same with the UK version.  I have a hard time buying that this is a continuity error, especially on the US version, because they've been so amazingly good at everything else.  But it doesn't seem to be consistent. 

Well it could very well be a combination of things. It was clear that Sam could see Trevor at the top of the stairs before losing consciousness; same with Alison seeing Julian in the UK version. That initial jolt may be what "activated" her ability; the near-death, or momentarily dead experience, may be what made it permanent. 

In any case I don't think Eric can see ghosts. I see no reason he wouldn't acknowledge them when he came to. He wasn't even quite sure he saw them when he was dead - he says to Bela "I think I saw Trevor." And he saw more than just Trevor.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, AncientNewbie said:

This is one of the few scripted shows I'm watching these days and these two episodes really sold why. Just clever and heartfelt. And a lesson to always let the electricians work on the sconces. 

LOL.  Or at least shut off the power to them first!

And... thanks to @shapeshifterfor the most appropriate use of the flame reaction that I've seen recently.

Edited by SoMuchTV
"off" has 2 f'n f's
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4

I really enjoy this little show and hope we get another season. It's great being able to watch a show without a laugh track. I really liked Sam's sweater too and yes I have seen people that tuck the front part in, why, I don't know it's a thing I guess. I wanted to see the gifts Sam got the other ghost.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 12/17/2022 at 10:34 AM, shapeshifter said:

Ooops! Right.
Maybe they could have stood at the property line and high fived each other? 
Next time?

Again, the Farnsby house is two doors down,  not next door to the B&B property. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I really enjoy this little show and hope we get another season. It's great being able to watch a show without a laugh track. 

I'm sure it will be renewed, it's one of CBS's highest rated shows. 

I don't think shows really do "laugh tracks" anymore. Most shows are single-cam (like this one) or three-cam filmed with a studio audience.

• Useful 2
2 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I don't think shows really do "laugh tracks" anymore. Most shows are single-cam (like this one) or three-cam filmed with a studio audience.

Ghosts does not have a live studio audience, but I have read that shows with live audiences do "sweeten" the laughter.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, Daff said:

Again, the Farnsby house is two doors down,  not next door to the B&B property. 

So we have been retconned to believe.
But episode 1.3 "The Dinner Party" does say differently, revealing a plot hole:

• [FLOWER] Henry and Margaret Farnsby. Wealthy next-door neighbors.

and

• [MR FARNSBY] I don't love the idea of a "pretty sick" business adjoining our property.

So, while I agree 2.6 "The Baby Bjorn" is the new canon, we can all be forgiven if we might "forget" from time to time.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Ghosts does not have a live studio audience

How would you get ghosts in front of a studio audience? Maybe there might be one or two people in the audience who were also able to see them. Sam might actually enjoy meeting them. However, for those who couldn't see them, the show would be pretty dull. 

• Wink 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 13
24 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

How would you get ghosts in front of a studio audience? Maybe there might be one or two people in the audience who were also able to see them. Sam might actually enjoy meeting them. However, for those who couldn't see them, the show would be pretty dull. 

Hardy har har, @eel21788😜👏

• LOL 2
6 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

How would you get ghosts in front of a studio audience?

Switching between Sam and Jay's views (ghosts and no ghosts) would ruin the story's flow for the audience when the ghosts file in and out. (I know it was a joke, but I'm somewhat compulsively didactic).

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

and

• [MR FARNSBY] I don't love the idea of a "pretty sick" business adjoining our property.

So, while I agree 2.6 "The Baby Bjorn" is the new canon, we can all be forgiven if we might "forget" from time to time.

You are correct, and I wasn’t trying to make you feel bad, sorry. The hilarity that ensued from the whole window shouting scene just won’t let me forget why it was necessary. Just goes to show how an offhand comment early on can be inhibiting to future plots. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Daff said:
19 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

and

Expand  

You are correct, and I wasn’t trying to make you feel bad, sorry. The hilarity that ensued from the whole window shouting scene just won’t let me forget why it was necessary. Just goes to show how an offhand comment early on can be inhibiting to future plots. 

Obviously you/we were just frustrated, and I never felt personally attacked.  
But I am guilty of using as a weapon of shame the “truth” of a plot hole that was forgotten by you, me, and most everyone, and seemingly overlooked by the writers.
I am the one sorry for making you feel bad. 
I am more sorry.  
[Picture Sam possessed by Thor making my apology to you]

🥀🧸

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 12/16/2022 at 6:26 AM, proserpina65 said:

I haven't seen her do it with sweaters, but a coworker does that with other shirts all the time.  It's a look.  Not one I care for but it exists in the real world.

It is a thing, and I think it looks absolutely frumpy in high waisted jeans. Funny story - saw a hack to use a smaller belt around your waist and then tuck the bottom up under it so your shirt/sweater looks "tucked in" but not lumpy in the front of your jeans.......ok back to the show....

I loved the Trevor/Hetty hookup! I think in some ways they are very similar - robber baron and wall street guy? I guffawed when he said "sorry - too close" and she said "not close enough!"  I also loved Hetty - "Trevor, if you come across any morphine do it!"

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I loved the Trevor/Hetty hookup! I think in some ways they are very similar - robber baron and wall street guy?

I kind of secretly started shipping them when in the back rub ep, after Hetty tricked him with her whole "people matter more than money" gambit, Trever gave her a very admiring look. Sure, he lost, but he clearly admired her power play. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I kind of secretly started shipping them when in the back rub ep, after Hetty tricked him with her whole "people matter more than money" gambit, Trever gave her a very admiring look. Sure, he lost, but he clearly admired her power play. 

This reminds me of the main difference between the characters of Hetty and Trevor: 

• Beneath his Bro exterior,Trevor is at heart kind, generous, sympathetic and empathetic.
  • Hetty seems selfish, officious, bigoted, and imperious to her core.

Maybe their tryst will somehow serve to bring Hetty further along in her opening up to appreciating traits different than those she was reared to value.
And maybe Trevor will catch himself when he falls into his habit of being crude, and he will reverse course.

Edited by shapeshifter
clarity
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Trevor also sat down to watch stable boy porn with her. If she was into it, he was into it.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

This reminds me of the main difference between the characters of Hetty and Trevor: 

• Beneath his Bro exterior,Trevor is at heart kind, generous, sympathetic and empathetic.
  • Hetty seems selfish, officious, bigoted, and imperious to her core.

Maybe their tryst will somehow serve to bring Hetty further along in her opening up to appreciating traits different than those she was reared to value.
And maybe Trevor will catch himself when he falls into his habit of being crude, and he will reverse course.

That's not fair to Hetty. She was kind to Isaac when he came out to her. She's also been kind to Flower and Alberta. I think she's afraid to be vulnerable. I felt sorry for her in Alberta's Podcast when she asked Flower who was in charge of her now.

• Like 5
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

So back in the Hetty husband goes to hell episode, when Hetty tried to send Trever to hell that was her way of showing that she liked him lol?

• Useful 1
25 minutes ago, kav said:

So back in the Hetty husband goes to hell episode, when Hetty tried to send Trever to hell that was her way of showing that she liked him lol?

Ha, that episode was on tonight as part of the "Ghosts" marathon that CBS had going, and I thought the exact same thing :D! Looking back at some of their interactions on the show, you can definitely see possible hints of something between them :). 

Has anyone noticed they changed the opening title set? There used to be a book next to the teacup and saucer; now there's a plate of colored balls, they might be cookies or something. This was the first episode I noticed it, I thought maybe they were Christmas cookies and something they did just for this episode, but I went back and watched the season opener and they've been there all season. 

• Useful 4
On 12/20/2022 at 3:33 PM, appositival said:

Switching between Sam and Jay's views (ghosts and no ghosts) would ruin the story's flow for the audience when the ghosts file in and out. (I know it was a joke, but I'm somewhat compulsively didactic).

I really wish people would stop trying to pretend that this show is a work of fiction. We're all gaining important insight into how the other half doesn't live.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 8
On 12/16/2022 at 1:38 AM, hiisa said:

I like this show-- a lot, even. But I have to say I don't like Sam. I don't know what happened! She is by far and away the weakest link for me.  So the second ep was lost of me but I LOVED Isaac and Nigel's first kiss. And may have said "Get it, son." to Hetty right out loud. Lady needs some relief she's been getting slowly but surely all sexed up all season! She needed somewhere for all that fire to go 

I don’t mind her, but I can definitely see another actress taking over the role. The one that plays it now is kind of an all purpose bland young woman. Not much personality, Something is missing but I love this show so much and it’s so great that she’s fine in it.