Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: The End of Everything

• Start Topic

That was a great finale. Life goes on. I'm really going to miss the show and all of the characters. I'd love to see Diane & Marissa in D.C. and also what happens with Jay and the underground group.

Edited by HollyG
  • Like 1
  • Love 10

It was really up in the air who Diane would choose, and the showrunners made it fan service by having her choose Kurt, even though they still don't know how to make their marriage work ("sex and pasta").

Comedic and sadistic to make poor Gary Cole (66) and John Slattery (60) do so many stairs, that's rough on their knees! They both had superb, subtle comedy together. They were in Desperate Housewives season 4 together, but don't think they had scenes together.

Loved Lyle's "wtf!" shrugs to Kurt's abrupt, man-of-one-words demeanor.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Well, after six years, we finally got the reasoning behind the intro............

During the actual shooting, we saw vases shattering, books getting riddled,

laptops and TVs getting destroyed, etc.

There have been some shows in the past that have "something happening" in the very first episode

(sometimes it being a "flash-forward" to a climatic scene at the end of the season)   (Revenge, HTGAWM)

but THIS is something we had to wait six years for an explanation.

I wonder how Maia is doing (with that crazy Pacino wannabe).

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Even though it was fairly unbelievable after they seemed at such an impasse last week, I was so glad Kurt and Diane ended up together. I actually cheered when it happened.

I love Marissa as a character but she has not proved to be a great lawyer in court so far, I don't know why they pushed the idea that someone very new would run litigation even at a small firm. Presumably there is already a full staff who works at the firm. I thought they shouldn't have picoted Marissa into being a lawyer, she seemed much more suited to being an investigator and I don't think the timeframe she has qualifed in is realistic.

I was glad that Carmen didn't go off to Jay's crazy group, it felt much more in character for her to stay at Reddick. I think they could have done without Ri'chard this season, I'm not sure his character added much to the story, 10 eps in a final season really wasn't enough to flesh out the character.

I could see a Carmen spin off

Edited by maggiegil
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

I absolutely loved this and found myself surprisingly emotional about it! Did not expect that.

2 hours ago, maggiegil said:

I love Marissa as a character but she has not proved to be a great lawyer in court so far, I don't know why they pushed the idea that someone very new would run litigation even at a small firm. 

I didn't get the impression she would really run litigation, just that she was going to be her usual pushy self and aim way above anything rational and Diane would eventually give in and give her a junior associate job. But who knows, with the way her journey was treated on this show she's probably be the next SCOTUS justice by next summer.

I was thinking the whole episode how sad I was that they skipped the credits. Little did I know! I got very un-sad!

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

Fantastic finale. I loved that it didn't delve into the two men fighting on the stairs for Diane's affection. That is a trope done way too often. I am so thrilled Diane chose Kurt. It may or maynot work on paper but those two have chemistry.

So glad the rest of the cast got out unscatched. Would love a Jay spinoff with that group....or even a limited series...

Love the live action credits and loved the last conversation between CB and AM.

I want these actors all on another show together...soon....sniff....sniff....

• Like 4
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Twilight Man said:

but THIS is something we had to wait six years for an explanation.

I always thought the credits were more about the particular times we are living in, rather than representing a literal event that was going to happen on the show.  I just viewed all the little explosions of particular items we saw during the attack as a wink to the viewers. 

I am very sad to see this show go.  What started off as more or less a traditional spin-off really morphed into something very original.  The plotlines didn't always work, but I do appreciate they were trying to challenge their audience to think. 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, stonehaven said:

I am so thrilled Diane chose Kurt. It may or maynot work on paper but those two have chemistry.

Kurt and Diane have their issues and will probably continue to come up against this tension but it made sense that they weren't prepared to walk away from one another.  For all their disagreements, they're actively in love with one another.  Even though it doesn't make sense on paper, in the crazy world they live in, it feels like it makes sense.

Besides, I was deeply uncomfortable with the fact that Lyle was not only her doctor but one that provided her with some kind of psychedelic drug treatment.  Getting involved with basically an active patient could get his medical license suspended. 

I wanted to hear the whole Preeepaaaree the way of the Lord song.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
49 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

[snip]

We basically did hear the whole song - Felix was right about how repetitive it is. Here's the scene from the 1973 film version of Godspell:

Edited by giovannif7
  • Wink 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Great finale. This is the rare series for me where I sort of lost interest midway through, but found my interest completely recaptured in later seasons. I'm genuinely going to miss this show.

And now seems like as good a time as any to say that I kind of always hoped Jay and Marissa would end up together. Oh well.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Very happy with the finale.  Is there a chance there will be a new spinoff in DC?  I would love that.  Can Liz come too?  And Jay?  And Carmen?  Oh, let's bring back Lucca Quinn while we're at it too.  Marissa can stay in Chicago.

16 hours ago, Twilight Man said:

Well, after six years, we finally got the reasoning behind the intro............

Yes!  I said Ohhhhhh! out loud. (Where's that mindblown emoji?)  Yes, it was also a metaphor during the credits but seeing the actual items blowing up in context was brilliant.

Love, love that Diane chose Kurt.  Sometimes you can't explain what the heart wants.  Those two have amazing chemistry.

I love Godspell but PYTWOTL is not the best song by any stretch.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Hugs 2
19 hours ago, Poohpoohpooh said:

Comedic and sadistic to make poor Gary Cole (66) and John Slattery (60) do so many stairs, that's rough on their knees!

You do know that they didn’t actually walk up all those stairs, right?

9 hours ago, stonehaven said:

I am so thrilled Diane chose Kurt. It may or maynot work on paper but those two have chemistry.

“Working on paper” doesn’t always work either. My husband and I have little in common but have been married forever. I actually think that couples who like all the same things, have the same interests, and the same opinions are boring and kind of creepy. As if they chose themselves as a partner.

7 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I always thought the credits were more about the particular times we are living in, rather than representing a literal event that was going to happen on the show.  I just viewed all the little explosions of particular items we saw during the attack as a wink to the viewers.

Yes, this. I doubt the producers knew 6 years ago where the show (and real life politics) would go.

Add me to the list who wants a spinoff. This show has so many interesting characters, and so many peripheral characters that could show up. There are enough generic law shows around that something like this is so interesting to me. Although I would have liked some actual cases in the last season, but whatevs. I’ll miss it.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Shermie said:

You do know that they didn’t actually walk up all those stairs, right?

Indeed, they have to climb each featured flight of stairs (9th, 12th, 15th) multiple times due to the magic of TV needing multiple takes per scene for each coverage angle.

For anyone who wants to play, here's my theory on Diane-Kurt this season if Gary Cole wasn't known to be very busy on NCIS while s6 was written:

- s6 opens with Diane AND KURT returning together from the vacation they took at the end of s5. lovey dovey as they were out of the loop with US politics while in Italy.

- mid season arc: big marital riff due to <insert 1-2 political tension events>

- season still ends with D & K staying married, for fan service.

- they would have tapped Gary Cole to appear as much as he did in s5. They wouldn't have added the John Slattery character (he is expensive on the budget and they made full use of him for the money's worth)

- I wonder if Gary Cole's future unavailability has a small part in TGF ending... Seems like a good place to end their marriage storyline "happily ever after".

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I also hope to see some of these characters again. Or at least see the actors go on to other equally interesting projects.

"Life goes on" is a very realistic and apt ending, but I kind of felt like the episode was a bit of a disconnect from last week which seemed to be amping up the surreal quality of the season with the Rock healing people and running for President, soundstage prisons, Diane possibly running the party and what not. I really thought we were in for some kind of twist or fantasy ending. I guess the point is that things can seem very dark and strange to the point of being surreal, but you just have to keep going. 

The creators seem quite sure that Trump will get the nomination, so they must be pretty thrilled right about now. 

I wonder if Diane would have been so quick to choose Kurt if Carmen hadn't reminded her that she called out to him when the grenade came into the elevator and she thought she was going to die. She dismissed Lyle in abut 30 seconds after they apparently began a relationship and took a vacation together, so he's a pretty easy going guy! If I were Kurt, I might consider that cheaty, so he's pretty chill too.

The way they zoomed in on Jay's very emotionally complicated face at the end almost made me feel for a second like this whole thing was about HIM, so nice acting job there.  

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Add me to the "I want a DC spin off" club. Especially if Eli joins and a certain New York female lawyer visits from time to time.

Jay is the "Jason Bourne" of investigators! Can I fantasize a PI office with him, Khalinda and Marissa? oh my!!

Overall I really liked the series, although I would prefer it to be more about legal cases than all the surreal allegory it tried to be. I would definitely be fine without at least half of the "over the top"/eccentric characters.
I saw what the creators tried to do, but sometimes it felt like wasting a great cast/characters.
However, even if exaggerated, this is  the effing world we are living in.
Goodbye The Good Fight. It was fun!

• Like 2
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, Steph J said:

And now seems like as good a time as any to say that I kind of always hoped Jay and Marissa would end up together. Oh well.

I can't even believe they didn't have a goodbye scene.  One of a handful of things that really shocked me about the finale and that I didn't much care for.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I'm already emotional over something else, but I did laugh once, when those elevators opened behind them, after all of that climbing. 

I do like Kurt, and Julius. This show made me like two people I would be actively avoiding, after the last six years. But they weren't extremists, and I love that Kurt quit his job with the NRA, and didn't care about that award. Diane was his family, and he was only concerned about her. 

I've always thought the opening credits were just a reflection of the general mood of the country, but there was a reason a lot of people were worried about trump getting elected. I can't get into it, because it wasn't shown in the episode.  I mean, it was, but not what I was seeing six/seven years ago. 

I briefly wondered if Felix was a part of the white supremacist group, but then there was that ending. Marissa covered the thoughts of people I've read over the last year or so. 

I think it was set up for potential spin-offs, but it was also just a good way for people to move on. Liz Reddick's face when Felix launched into his testimony, was the other thing that got a laugh out of me. I'm going to miss Diane and Liz working together, and I've only really been watching since September (I started it in the Summer of 2021, but wasn't really in the mood for it, and lost paramount not long after). 

Edited by Anela
  • Like 2
On 11/10/2022 at 1:14 PM, Poohpoohpooh said:

Comedic and sadistic to make poor Gary Cole (66) and John Slattery (60)

I was reminded of a scene in Mad Men, IIRC John S climbed a bunch of stairs.

Way to stick the landing, show! 

5 hours ago, Zaffy said:

Add me to the "I want a DC spin off" club. Especially if Eli joins and a certain New York female lawyer visits from time to time.

This. I'm not ready to leave this world. I liked the Good Wife, but the Good Fight was better.

18 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I just viewed all the little explosions of particular items we saw during the attack as a wink to the viewers. 

What about the cute animals at the start of the last season? Maybe Diane will end up on a farm.

Glad Kurt and Diane found their way back to each other. Their are couples who are happily together despite all the diffrences.

Edited by marinw
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

I did like how Kurt and Lyle behaved like grownups towards each other instead of literally fighting over the same woman. Kurt obviously wanted to come chargeing to Diane's rescue, I am not sure what Lyle was trying to accomplish.

Weridly, one thing that DID strain credibilty on the absurdist show is that Carmen just happened to have a stunning outfit that fit Diane perfectly. I was expecting sweats.

I also came to appreciate the working relationship between Diane and Liz.

Edited by marinw
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Must be nice to have the option of only working in a job which brings you peace. Dr. Bettencourt really doesn't perceive his privilege, does he?

The Big 6? I thought that referred to the top CPA/financial management firms but I guess now there's only the Big 4. (All of which seem to be based in London? Maybe there's a spin-off opportunity for the Luca character if Cush Jumbo would still be game.)

Instead of a blue dress it was a red t-shirt. Meh, trying too hard to be cute IMO.

Kurt and Lyle trying to work their way up a gazillion flights of stairs. It was lowkey reminiscent of the WTC on 9/11 to me, only this time the terrorists were domestic.

Wow, Kurt's persistence was fortunate. He helped save Diane and rest of the staffs' lives by discovering the deliberate stairwell blockage.

If the sexual assault story was fake what was on the t-shirt? The ruse would've fallen completely apart as soon as it was determined there wasn't a DNA match. So stupid.

Jay leaving the firm will be a huge loss. He'll be almost impossible to replace because he pretty much has a sixth sense for their security and safety matters, and he has an institutional knowledge of the firm no successor could have.

Diane & Kurt. The Fates decided. Okay. 😒

Yeah, the Kings were off on the 11/10 announcement date but when they taped this episode (or submitted it to the network) that was likely still expected.

Re possible spin-offs, the only way I'd want to see more of the Collective is if they got rid of Phylicia Rashad and made the concept more sci-fi or action/adventure-ish. Perhaps bring in Colson Whitehead to help write it. If they did a show about Carmen I think they'd need to add a strong moralistic attorney to counterbalance her, and I don't see that person as Marissa. I don't need any more Ri'Chard or Liz or Julius. I'm fine not pursuing the DC firm with Diane. I want Christine Baranski to be done with the whole TGF/TGW universe. Sometimes you gotta know when to leave.

It's been a good ride. We'll see what the Kings come up with next (other than Evil--I'm never watching that--and Your Honor).

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 2

I think they just needed the rumour to really take hold (about Desantis), and I'm wondering if someone leaked it from the office, or if Felix just did his thing in other ways. He was really happy for a reason, and the episode ends with his favourite politician announcing that he's running again. 

On 11/12/2022 at 9:15 AM, marinw said:

Weridly, one thing that DID strain credibilty on the absurdist show is that Carmen just happened to have a stunning outfit that fit Diane perfectly. I was expecting sweats.

And that after supposedly being completely doused in a shower, her hair is perfectly coiffed and her makeup is flawless. She has all those things at the office?

• Like 1
14 hours ago, marinw said:

I'm sure that fancy "Executive Washroom" had a hair dryer and some shampoo.

Her look went way beyond a quick shampoo and blowout.

I get it, the show is a fantasy and doesn’t have to make sense. But we can still point out the things that just wouldn’t work in real life.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I disagree that putting Kurt and Diane back together at the end was "fan service". I think it was the whole point of the show: it's the good fight. Through the series, Diane tried various forms of fighting (law, throwing stars), and then increasingly tried to opt out (microdosing, Lyle's treatment). At the end she has a choice: to go on fighting by staying with and loving someone whose ideas are the opposite of hers, or giving up and dropping out with someone who just makes her feel good. We *have* to choose the fight and to deal with each other, even when we disagree, or we ultimately lose everything.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5
On 11/10/2022 at 9:32 PM, gesundheit said:

I didn't get the impression she would really run litigation, just that she was going to be her usual pushy self and aim way above anything rational and Diane would eventually give in and give her a junior associate job. But who knows, with the way her journey was treated on this show she's probably be the next SCOTUS justice by next summer.

I was thinking the whole episode how sad I was that they skipped the credits. Little did I know! I got very un-sad!

That's what I thought, too. Diane has just learned about the opportunity and Marissa had already hired herself to run a department, fresh out of law school. Typical Marissa LOL!

On 11/10/2022 at 10:48 PM, stonehaven said:

Fantastic finale. I loved that it didn't delve into the two men fighting on the stairs for Diane's affection. That is a trope done way too often. I am so thrilled Diane chose Kurt. It may or maynot work on paper but those two have chemistry.

So glad the rest of the cast got out unscatched. Would love a Jay spinoff with that group....or even a limited series...

Love the live action credits and loved the last conversation between CB and AM.

I want these actors all on another show together...soon....sniff....sniff....

I agree with all of this! I didn't want Diane to have any drama played out in the office/staircase. Marissa and Carmen were rooting for her but it was private. Emotions were high but everyone behaved maturely. 

I think Jay was great and I'd love to see more of that character. Another spinoff? I'm in. 

The conversation between Diane and Liz made me remember why I originally wanted to tune into this show. They developed a real friendship that wasn't without conflicts and bumps. But they respected each other and I really felt it when Liz reminded Diane this is what she wanted and it was finally happening. 

On 11/11/2022 at 1:06 AM, Irlandesa said:

Kurt and Diane have their issues and will probably continue to come up against this tension but it made sense that they weren't prepared to walk away from one another.  For all their disagreements, they're actively in love with one another.  Even though it doesn't make sense on paper, in the crazy world they live in, it feels like it makes sense.

Besides, I was deeply uncomfortable with the fact that Lyle was not only her doctor but one that provided her with some kind of psychedelic drug treatment.  Getting involved with basically an active patient could get his medical license suspended. 

The romantic plot with the doctor felt icky to me, too. He was Diane's doctor and the nature of his treatment makes it even worse, IMO. It's not like she saw him for an eyeglass prescription. I didn't care for him at all. I was so relieved that we ended up with Kurt and Diane.

I wanted to hear Liz chime in and sing! 

On 11/11/2022 at 6:37 AM, Haleth said:

Very happy with the finale.  Is there a chance there will be a new spinoff in DC?  I would love that.  Can Liz come too?  And Jay?  And Carmen?  Oh, let's bring back Lucca Quinn while we're at it too.  Marissa can stay in Chicago.

Yes!  I said Ohhhhhh! out loud. (Where's that mindblown emoji?)  Yes, it was also a metaphor during the credits but seeing the actual items blowing up in context was brilliant.

Love, love that Diane chose Kurt.  Sometimes you can't explain what the heart wants.  Those two have amazing chemistry.

I love Godspell but PYTWOTL is not the best song by any stretch.

When I saw the ending, my mind was definitely 🤯

Seeing Diane choose Kurt reminded me of when she referred to him as The Marlboro Man when she first met him. She was so giddy about him. I'm glad they ended up together. 

On 11/11/2022 at 2:35 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I can't even believe they didn't have a goodbye scene.  One of a handful of things that really shocked me about the finale and that I didn't much care for.

It was so sad we didn't see Jay and Marissa say goodbye, though I liked his goodbye scene with Carmen.

On 11/12/2022 at 9:15 AM, marinw said:

I did like how Kurt and Lyle behaved like grownups towards each other instead of literally fighting over the same woman. Kurt obviously wanted to come chargeing to Diane's rescue, I am not sure what Lyle was trying to accomplish.

I also came to appreciate the working relationship between Diane and Liz.

I was actually surprised Diane didn't have a suit at the office.  

• Like 3
  • Love 3

I watched the entire series the past couple of months, having been too annoyed to pay for streaming in addition to cable when season 2 launched. Now that these characters are gone, I am bereft.

I have loved reading the forum posts, which were informative and fun and covered everything.

I'll just say that I thought the series' weakness early on was focusing so much on two young white women, both with significant inherited privilege (Marissa and Maia), at the expense of Jay and other Black characters. Marissa magically became an investigator and then an attorney, and Maia just annoyed me in general (e.g., the affected scratchy voice).

I enjoyed Diane, Jay, Julius, Liz, Lucca, Adrian, Carmen and Felix, the pesky gnat one loves to hate-watch.

Random note: here in DC we had a "N-word-ly" at least 20 years ago. I don't remember who said it - maybe a city council member? - and the fight was on, earning coverage in The Washington Post.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 3

Finally watched the final episode. Not sure what that was. All season the rioters were outside, but the law firm still had people risking their lives to come into the office? 

it was time for the show to end. I don't think it ever reached the heights of The Good Wife, with the exception of maybe the 4th season. 

if Diane had not stayed with Kurt, then her slapping Alicia at the end of The Good Wife would have been stupid. 

1 hour ago, cardigirl said:

Finally watched the final episode. Not sure what that was. All season the rioters were outside, but the law firm still had people risking their lives to come into the office? 

That bothered me for the briefest of moments, until I returned to understanding that this show has always been surrealism in the service of truth. One could identify a CVS-receipt's worth of unrealistic characters and events over the course of the series. Unrealistic is an understatement. And that's been the intention--to go far beyond reality to awaken the audience's attention to an increasingly crazy actual world.

1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

That bothered me for the briefest of moments, until I returned to understanding that this show has always been surrealism in the service of truth. One could identify a CVS-receipt's worth of unrealistic characters and events over the course of the series. Unrealistic is an understatement. And that's been the intention--to go far beyond reality to awaken the audience's attention to an increasingly crazy actual world.

I understand that. I think this season didn't do so well with it. I refer to BrainDead as a much better commentary on politics and the state of the world. 

And Diane as a "hero" has always bothered me, after her shenanigans on TGW, always pulling the rug out from the offered "partnerships,"  yet keeping the influx of cash that the offers brought in. I did enjoy her relationship with Kurt, though, so I was good with that ending. 

I will miss Jay. I liked his character a lot and wish there had been more focus on him. And I could have done with more Eli Gold and David Lee. LOL. 

• Like 2

I finally watched this -- saved it up.  I was riveted and when the stuff from the credits started blowing up I said OH! out loud.  This show was far from perfect but it was perfect in its imperfections, somehow, just two notches of dystopia from our current world.  I am going to miss it a lot.  I want the spinoff in the DC firm and the spinoff in Jay's world and a spin off where Carmen moves to Austin.  Thanks for all the fans here -- no one in my real life watches this and it's good to not feel lonely.  I really think this was one of my favourite series ever and I can't even really say why.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I, too, finally just got around to bingeing the final season and I'm sad it's over, but it was time. I preferred the earlier seasons, when the surrealism wasn't amped up to 11, but just enough to make it interesting. Much like spices in food. The best season-theme was the constant rain. l miss this show, but it also reminded me of a far more interesting long-gone law firm drama, Suits.

• Like 1