Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: The Reckoning

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

32 minutes ago, Jodithgrace said:

Ugh! I hate the stupid competition between Nolan and Bailey. This is working its way up to being the most annoying wedding ever!

I’m wondering if this fun competition about where to get married will turn into a realization that they don’t want to get married.

• Applause 2
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

Ugh! I hate the stupid competition between Nolan and Bailey. This is working its way up to being the most annoying wedding ever!

I have never met a couple who competes over everything. It's not funny or cute. There's no way that a woman as small as Bailey would eat a gigantic stack of pancakes. HATE Bailey. 

I am tired of shows where a character has a a secret ex that their significant other never knew about. This is used all the time on TV dramas. If you have been engaged before, your husband or wife generally knows about it.

Wesley and the "ex" had zero chemistry. I also cannot believe that Wesley's ex girlfriend was able to manipulate the DA's office so easily. That bright red hair on that actress was ridiculously fake looking.  

I did not understand why Chen didn't return Tim's radio. She was such a smug jerk. Shouldn't they be past that point now?

• Like 2
  • Love 9
25 minutes ago, nittany cougar said:

I did not understand why Chen didn't return Tim's radio. She was such a smug jerk. Shouldn't they be past that point now?

I hated Chen not returning Tim's radio ASAP.
Given the frequency of cops from their station having their lives imperiled, I kept thinking it would go south fast. 

But apparently Chen playing cat-and-mouse with his radio was exactly what Tim needed after getting dumped after a near-death experience, and now he's in love with Lucy. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I’m wondering if this fun competition about where to get married will turn into a realization that they don’t want to get married.

We can hope, right?

I was amused at Chen pranking about the radio left behind.

Disappointed that the DA's office caved so easily. I'm sure this will come back to bite them.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3

Someone at The Rookie's writing room thinks all red hair women are evil!
So, Wesley was engaged to this? wow.. If I were Lopez I would run away asap.

At this point I find Chen as annoying as Bailey. She behaves like a 12y old falling in love for the first time. It is not even cute.

Wondering if Elijah (what a weak way to set him free) will be the one responsible for "canceling" Bailey..

btw, do you ppl know why some of the police's guns have bright colors on them? I am wondering since season 1..

Edited by Zaffy
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

I believe the colored guns are non lethal ( beanbag, stun gun etc ) . 

I dimly remember Elijah getting caught red handed when he got busted, now he's free ?? Whatever . I don't find him compelling as a character.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

From your lips to the writers' room.

3 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

I am tired of shows where a character has a a secret ex that their significant other never knew about. This is used all the time on TV dramas. If you have been engaged before, your husband or wife generally knows about it.

I mean, that can sometimes be the case. But if so, that's a person you could never really trust again - because why wouldn't they tell you about it?

58 minutes ago, Zaffy said:

Someone at The Rookie's writing room thinks all red hair women are evil!

You beat me to it! Someone's been hurt by a red head.

1 hour ago, Zaffy said:

Wondering if Elijah (what a weak way to set him free) will be the one responsible for "canceling" Bailey..

Once again, your lips to the writer's room. And he can take his attorney along with her. God knows we don't need another recurring red headed devil.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3

Elijah again?  Really writers?  You can't come up with any other plot devices.  Elijah like Rosalind isn't even all that interesting of a villain.

Wesley's ex, sure show and he didn't tell Lopez?  Also, why did the DA's office cave so easily?

Lucy is an idiot and Tim is an idiot since it's obvious this twosome is going to be a thing.  Lucy not giving back his radio was not only her standard childishness (oh, why won't he tell what's wrong so now I'm going to keep his radio until he caves and I can get back at him for the time he was a jerk to me when he was my training office, you know, trying to help keep me from getting my dumb ass killed in the line of duty because it's so the same...).

Nolan and Bailey are ridiculous as well.  As for a small woman not being able to eat that much, I've seen eating competitions with small women putting away a lot of food so that's not unbelievable to me.  I did find it amusing that their bickering is what helped Juarez fall asleep.  What wasn't funny was her falling asleep standing up while on duty (though I've known folks who are fully capable of doing this).

I did appreciate Nyla and James pranking her daughter's former friend.  It was childish but I was fine with it.

• Like 3
  • Love 8

They really need to lay off the Juarez woo-woo stuff.  Just bring it up once every few episodes.  I get it, it is a character trait intended to make her quirky and interesting, but.....not every person who is into woo-woo stuff is into ALL the woo-woo stuff.  There is some cross-over, sure, but not every crystal aficionado is into ghosts and/or tarot and/or astrology and/or Wicca and/or chakras and/or dream interpretation etc. etc. etc.  I feel like the writers have a Pinterest list and are checking boxes as they go.

So.  The female producer with the werewolf prop.  Was that all she was, a plot device to say "Halloween episode!" and get the radio to Chen?  I did like the callback to Aaron's past "Amanda Knox" history, and how the woman dismissed it as "Nah, can't be, he's a cop!" which was actually nice to see, since it proves his point that eventually the hoopla will die down (if his mother allows it, that is) and he can get on with his life protecting and serving.  I really like the Aaron character, I like his interactions with Tim.  There seemed something "extra" though about the producer.  Was she more stunt-casting, or some other meta comment? 

Jake Tapper cracked me up.  I don't say that often.

You know, I wouldn't mind a Lucy/Tim pairing so much if they stuck with competent Lucy and not middle-school Lucy.  Lucy when she's gettin' the job done and is mature and insightful is a great character, and not a bad match--other than the uneven power dynamic--with Tim.  I think Tim does have a fun side, and Lucy would bring that out, but Tim does not have a middle-school games side.  That whole thing just feels "off."

I would watch a Lopez/Harper detective show all day long.  I love those two together!

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • Love 5
34 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

You know, I wouldn't mind a Lucy/Tim pairing so much if they stuck with competent Lucy and not middle-school Lucy.  Lucy when she's gettin' the job done and is mature and insightful is a great character, and not a bad match--other than the uneven power dynamic--with Tim.  I think Tim does have a fun side, and Lucy would bring that out, but Tim does not have a middle-school games side.  That whole thing just feels "off."

I would watch a Lopez/Harper detective show all day long.  I love those two together!

Amen to not wanting middle-school Lucy, and to Lopez/Harper.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Zaffy said:

btw, do you ppl know why some of the police's guns have bright colors on them? I am wondering since season 1..

the shot guns with the green furniture are loaded with less lethal rounds (cause they're not non-lethal)

Edited by MrWhyt
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I was thinking the same thing! Right now those are the only 2 characters that seem interesting and fun and that I care about.
They need their own show indeed!

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Zaffy said:

At this point I find Chen as annoying as Bailey. She behaves like a 12y old falling in love for the first time. It is not even cute.

I literally had to fast forward through all her scenes. She was so immature!  Wouldn't you feel safe with her 'protecting' your streets?  Besides the immaturity (and that she has a boyfriend and he just got dumped) girl really needs to learn not to sh*t where you work.  It was bad enough when it was a peer like Nolan but didn't a female officer warn her at that time about dating another cop?  Don't get me wrong I think Tim would be wrong too.   Now that I think about it wasn't his ex a cop too or am I making that up?  I get a lot of 'civilians' aren't going to want to date cops but at least find people from another precinct.  Can  you imagine getting pulled over by Lucy after she and Tim had a fight you'd be like "i'm sorry are you giving me a ticket or asking me to come over and braid your hair?".  

• Love 3

I really can’t stand Nolan’s new rookie. When she and Bailey are in the same screen, I just want to turn off the show. 

2 hours ago, I Want My MBTV said:

It was bad enough when it was a peer like Nolan but didn't a female officer warn her at that time about dating another cop?  Don't get me wrong I think Tim would be wrong too.   Now that I think about it wasn't his ex a cop too or am I making that up? 

I actually like the idea of Chen and Bradford but I don't get why it's suddenly not a problem when it was such a big deal with Nolan either. I guess she has a lot more respect from other officers than she did back then but the optics for dating a superior/her former training officer would seem to be so much worse. Yes, Isabel was a cop although I'm not sure how much they'd worked together in comparison to Chen and Bradford.

I have a different view of Chen and Tim's radio.

If Tim, at any point, seriously asked for the radio back, she would have given it to him.

At the end, he said he enjoyed the game, and so this proves that he wasn't upset that she took it. 

This seemed like a harmless prank. 

Wesley's boss, on the other hand, is a total slimeball for putting Wesley and his family in danger. His lack of loyalty to his own employee and him hinting that Wesley may not have a future there, make him a huge jerk.

Also, I'm assuming the ex will either be in danger or dead soon. Something needs to wipe that smirk off her face. 

She's not doing this because she's being forced. She's willfully putting a dangerous man back out on the streets. 

Also, I'm calling a Nolan/Bailey elopement. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
On 10/31/2022 at 11:05 PM, Sweet Tooth said:

Wesley's boss, on the other hand, is a total slimeball for putting Wesley and his family in danger. His lack of loyalty to his own employee and him hinting that Wesley may not have a future there, make him a huge jerk.

Now that you mention it, Elijah totally got to Wesley’s boss, right?

Also, I'm assuming the ex will either be in danger or dead soon

Angela will save her.

Jake Tapper must’ve been a Firefly fan.
ETA, actually, Tapper's son is a fan of The Rookie: https://youtu.be/QRQh3CmEe7U?t=244

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Applause 2

Police officers/detectives do indeed play pranks on each, which I think is juvenile and silly.  I retired as an admin from a police agency.  I worked in CID and the detectives were constantly playing pranks on each other.  There was one detective whom they figured out didn't mind being pranked, so they set him up often. One time they switched on the keys on his keyboard and when a citizen called to to inquire about their case, the detective thought his computer was totally jacked up.  He called the Help Desk saying that his computer was typing gibberish (he was a hunt & peck typist). When he told me the story I asked him if he'd reported it to the sergeant. He said "It was all in fun."  Another time they put a gadget under his desk that chirpped like a cricket and it drove him nuts.  He said he moved all the boxes and other stuff out from under his desk looking for the "cricket". Again, he said "It was all in fun."  Now that I think about it, maybe it was their was of releasing tension.  That department worked sex crimes, violent crimes, crimes against children etc.  So after typing this, I can see that the pranks were just a way to pull back from all they had to see as they investigated heineous crimes, even if it was for just a few minutes.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, Sweet Tooth said:

This.  So much this.  He rolled over as fast as a hotdog at a 7-11.  We're going to find out that Wesley's red-headed ex put forth some veiled threats ("Nice little place you've got here.  Be a shame if anything happened to it....") and that she's into Elijah's operation a little more than Wesley thinks she is.  Wesley was clear her ambitions were aggressive, and her pursuit of money and power were everything to her.  I think we'll find out that red-headed ex made Wesley's boss an offer he couldn't refuse--or maybe even eagerly accepted.  We're going to find out he's dirty too, and maybe only set up the prosecution on Elijah to get such an offer. 

Yup.  Angela is going to eventually investigate, then save red-headed ex, then tell her to get lost in a very Angela way and I can't wait for this to happen.  Like....next episode, please?

• Like 1
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

Angela is going to eventually investigate, then save red-headed ex, then tell her to get lost in a very Angela way and I can't wait for this to happen.  Like....next episode, please?

Make it a Lopez/Harper centric episode. It will be more interesting than ANYTHING Bailey.

• Applause 2
  • Love 5

I kind of feel like if you’re making ridiculous petty bets and having ridiculous petty competitions to see who “wins” the right to determine basic wedding fundamentals like where the ceremony should take place, your upcoming marriage might have bigger problems than who can eat the most pancakes.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Now that you mention it, Elijah totally got to Wesley’s boss, right?

Now that YOU mention it, probably.

The major shift from supporting Wesley to completely rejecting his case and letting Elijah free, is really suspicious. Like, he might have taken the lawyer's threats to a deeper level. He knows what Wesley has gone through, and it seems he's only interested in saving his own neck.

He will come to a crossroads where he either has to step up or completely abandon Wesley. I guess it all depends on whether he stays on the show or not.

5 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

This.  So much this.  He rolled over as fast as a hotdog at a 7-11.  We're going to find out that Wesley's red-headed ex put forth some veiled threats ("Nice little place you've got here.  Be a shame if anything happened to it....") and that she's into Elijah's operation a little more than Wesley thinks she is.  Wesley was clear her ambitions were aggressive, and her pursuit of money and power were everything to her.  I think we'll find out that red-headed ex made Wesley's boss an offer he couldn't refuse--or maybe even eagerly accepted.  We're going to find out he's dirty too, and maybe only set up the prosecution on Elijah to get such an offer. 

Yup.  Angela is going to eventually investigate, then save red-headed ex, then tell her to get lost in a very Angela way and I can't wait for this to happen.  Like....next episode, please?

The switch happened so fast. It did have a "Nice little place you've got here" feel to it. I think he ran like a frightened little squirrel to the nearest exit the second the heat got turned up. Like I said, we'll see the measure of his character if he folds like a cheap card table or winds up defending Wesley in the end. 

I think Red-headed ex is in for a lot of pain. Her "I can handle him" attitude seems conceited to the point of stupidity.

And what if nothing happens to her, but something happens to Wesley? Will she still be so cavalier?

I realize Wesley cheating on her must sting, but certainly trying to get him killed is going beyond "the jilted ex." That would make her as sociopathic as Elijah, which is a distinct possibility after watching her brush off Wesley's warnings with a smirk.

And yes, there will definitely be an ex/Angela showdown, and we all know who will win that one.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, Sweet Tooth said:

If Tim, at any point, seriously asked for the radio back, she would have given it to him.

At the end, he said he enjoyed the game, and so this proves that he wasn't upset that she took it. 

My issue wasn't that she played a prank on him - I've enjoyed some of the times she's gotten the best of him in the past.  In this case, it was the reason she did it and kept it going.  She knew something was going with Tim and she refused to accept that he didn't want to tell her.  It was none of her business and she continued to try to make it hers.  She came across as a nosey 12 year old.  It wasn't a good look for her.  I prefer strong, competent Lucy.  When she was with Nolan, she didn't behave this way.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Mrs. Stanwyck said:

My issue wasn't that she played a prank on him - I've enjoyed some of the times she's gotten the best of him in the past.  In this case, it was the reason she did it and kept it going.  She knew something was going with Tim and she refused to accept that he didn't want to tell her.  It was none of her business and she continued to try to make it hers.  She came across as a nosey 12 year old.  It wasn't a good look for her.  I prefer strong, competent Lucy.

You have accurately described how Lucy's stunt with Tim's radio appeared to the viewers: that Lucy was not willing to accept that Tim was keeping something from her.
But in the end, Tim says to Lucy:

• "Look, and just so you know, I-I did appreciate your whole radio gag... a little. It took my mind off things."

Maybe there were different writers working on different scenes and they didn't have time to . . . 'get their stories straight'?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

You have accurately described how Lucy's stunt with Tim's radio appeared to the viewers: that Lucy was not willing to accept that Tim was keeping something from her.
But in the end, Tim says to Lucy:

• "Look, and just so you know, I-I did appreciate your whole radio gag... a little. It took my mind off things."

Maybe there were different writers working on different scenes and they didn't have time to . . . 'get their stories straight'?

That was my point.

If Tim had looked her seriously in the eye and told her to back off and give him his radio, she totally would have done it.

She made a game of it and in the end did give it back to him with an apology that he immediately shook off.

I don't think the main point of her taking the radio was to get him to spill, but to have fun with him, because he's so hard on the rookies. That was literally her first response when she realized it was Tim's radio. 

If he'd seemed even remotely annoyed with her and was begging for his radio, I would have definitely seen her as annoying, but to me that's not how it played out.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Sweet Tooth said:

If he'd seemed even remotely annoyed with her and was begging for his radio, I would have definitely seen her as annoying, but to me that's not how it played out.

Good for Tim & Lucy, but I was very annoyed. 🙃
Actually, now that I know how the radio scavenger hunt ends, if I ever watched it again, I *might* be amused, or even enchanted if Lucy & Tim become the best romantic pairing since [fill in with your favorite couple].

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 10/31/2022 at 12:23 PM, milkyaqua said:

Wesley's ex, sure show and he didn't tell Lopez?

I mean a very basic question for someone you are getting serious with, 'have you ever been married or engaged? ... what was your longest/latest relationship'.  Hard to believe Lopez, master detective would not have asked, so did Wesley lie about it, or was evasive?

• Love 3

I don’t like it that they make Wesley seem afraid of his wife; spouses shouldn’t be afraid of each other. I thought his ex looked and acted a lot like serial killer redhead. Like others have said, I’m sure she will be in danger soon and need Lopez to rescue her. Can’t stand new age rookie or Nolan’s super woman fiancé. I don’t mind Tim and Lucy together though.

• Love 5
On 10/31/2022 at 5:58 AM, nittany cougar said:

Wesley and the "ex" had zero chemistry. I also cannot believe that Wesley's ex girlfriend was able to manipulate the DA's office so easily. That bright red hair on that actress was ridiculously fake looking.  

I do believe Bridget Regan is naturally some red hue but seems to change for many roles. 

On 10/31/2022 at 8:06 AM, Zaffy said:

There have been a many incidents on the streets and in police and military training where people thinking they were firing less than lethal rounds fired standard ammunition. So magazines loaded with them and weapons are colored to cut down on accidents. The bright lime green shotgun has the bean bag load in hope the trauma of bein hit causes one to stop before bullets designed to penetrate are used. The yellow color is normally a taser or stun gun. After an Oakland area BART police officer killed Oscar Gant and another incident recently they are changing the design of the stun guns to be un gun like, say like the Star Trek Next Generation phasers, and putting them on the weak hand side to cut down on a fighting officer grabbing the wrong weapon. 

Few nations have gone the UK route to have police primarily armed with less lethal weapons with only specialist  armed with firearms.

• Useful 5
On 10/30/2022 at 10:48 PM, shapeshifter said:

They're certainly dropping quite a few hints of that. Either that, or the writers are cruelly toying with our emotions.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
On 10/31/2022 at 8:58 AM, nittany cougar said:

I almost wanted to kick her in the face as much as I did Chen.  I'm so sick and tired of her manipulative, entitled behavior when it comes to Tim.  that she used his radio as a bargaining chip to get him to fess up what was bothering him was childish, unprofessional, annoying and WAY over the line.  Just because they were partners doesn't mean it's mandatory that he shares all his personal life with you.  Get over yourself, Chen, stop pushing, being needy, know when to back off and learn the meaning of the word 'boundaries'

On 10/31/2022 at 11:06 AM, Zaffy said:

For that, his walking free would be well worth it

If it was only just a prank for fun.  Even though Tim was okay with it at the end, Chen was still over the line as to her reasons which was to extract information from Tim rather than just having fun.   As I stated above, Chen used it as a bargaining chip to get Tim to confess to her what was going on with him.  That's invading his personal space which is off limits.  If he wants to talk, he'll talk.  And good on Thorson for keeping his mouth shut and not telling her when she tried to shake him down too.  The girl just doesn't know when to quit.  Her need to validation and to be 'in the know' is getting tired. 

On 11/1/2022 at 5:11 PM, Lethallyfab said:

I kind of feel like if you’re making ridiculous petty bets and having ridiculous petty competitions to see who “wins” the right to determine basic wedding fundamentals like where the ceremony should take place, your upcoming marriage might have bigger problems than who can eat the most pancakes

So.Much.This.  And it's a foreshadowing of how you're probably going to have to determine all big decisions in your future.  You want to name your kid John, but she wants to name him Horatio - okay, let's see who can do the most consecutive chin ups before collapsing, followed by who can make a delicious dessert with the least amount of ingredients, followed by who can solve the NYT crossword puzzle the fastest......UGH!  And Nolan is much too mature to fall prey to these antics.  

On 11/2/2022 at 10:20 AM, izabella said:

I would have expected Lopez to run a full background check and hire a PI to do research before marrying someone

That fact that he was engaged for a hot minute to someone from school and cheated on her because, deep down, he knew it wasn't meant to be should have no bearing on Angela.  People have pasts.  They date other people.  They had sex with other people.  If it happened 10 years before you met and married - so what?  What's important is that you're in a committed, loving marriage with a child and are not doing that anymore

Assuming James TP'd their neighbor's house, it was wrong.  Wrong, wrong, wrong.    Yes, they're were ignorant, assuming and close minded, but those things didn't encroach upon N&J or their property.  James went onto their property and vandalized it.  So much for taking the high, tolerant road, James.  If a non POC did this to the home of a POC there'd be hell to pay!

Edited by ctlady
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, ctlady said:

Assuming James TP'd their neighbor's house, it was wrong.  Wrong, wrong, wrong.    Yes, they're were ignorant, assuming and close minded, but those things didn't encroach upon N&J or their property.  James went onto their property and vandalized it.  So much for taking the high, tolerant road, James.  If a non POC did this to the home of a POC there'd be hell to pay!

TPing is juvenile, and yes, wrong.

Still, I don't believe I've ever heard of a "perp" having to pay hell for the prank (which is common, and typically is more an annoyance than any kind of real damage). I fail to see how race factors into the equation.

PS - I've never done it, in fact I talked my HS friends out of doing it, so this is no endorsement of the act.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

TPing is juvenile, and yes, wrong.
Still, I don't believe I've ever heard of a "perp" having to pay hell for the prank (which is common, and typically is more an annoyance than any kind of real damage). I fail to see how race factors into the equation.
PS - I've never done it, in fact I talked my HS friends out of doing it, so this is no endorsement of the act.

I never TPed either, but is that still a thing with the TP shortages and TP production-caused deforestation? 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I may have worded it wrong. James is a community counselor and activist. For him to go and vandalize someone front lawn because he didn’t like their narrow mindedness is spiteful and intolerant- behaviors some in his field would not advocate. It made me wonder that if the tables were turned and it was done to his house if he would say it was racist because he happens to be a poc.  I hope that explains it better 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, ctlady said:

I may have worded it wrong. James is a community counselor and activist. For him to go and vandalize someone front lawn because he didn’t like their narrow mindedness is spiteful and intolerant- behaviors some in his field would not advocate. It made me wonder that if the tables were turned and it was done to his house if he would say it was racist because he happens to be a poc.  I hope that explains it better 

It does. Thanks. It is very easy to be misunderstood on the forums, I've been misunderstood a time or two myself.

• Like 1

I bet sleazy defense attorneys never threaten to reveal dirt about the cops and the DA office. Redhead-ex is so clever to be the first one to try this. To bad big drug lords can't afford better lawyers or they would all get off.

Edited by edhopper
  • Like 1

Oh great, Elijah again.

Let me guess, Wes' ex is going to think she's done with Elijah.  He's gonna say "you did a such a great job getting me off, you're going to continue working for me."  She'll be threatened and forced to do things she doesn't want to do until she comes running to Wes "you were right about Elijah" and that's how they'll finally put him away for good.

• Applause 1
On 11/10/2022 at 3:10 PM, shapeshifter said:

I never TPed either, but is that still a thing with the TP shortages and TP production-caused deforestation? 

Well, I doubt that deforestation would stop those who'd be inclined to TP a house, but the shortages might. Though we haven't really seen them locally, at least not since the beginning of the pandemic.

• Useful 1
22 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Well, I doubt that deforestation would stop those who'd be inclined to TP a house, but the shortages might. Though we haven't really seen them locally, at least not since the beginning of the pandemic.

I have a neighbor that was TP'd about 5 times in October so it is still a thing here in the midwest.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1