Type keyword(s) to search

S43.E04: Show No Mercy

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

One tribe makes a strategic decision in this week’s immunity challenge that sends another tribe to tribal council. One castaway’s paranoia and overconfidence risks leading them to their downfall.

Original airdate 10/12/22

So Cody got the episode title (again).  Guess we know who the production favorite is this season.

Vesi clearly made the right decision voting off Nneka at the last TC.  I absolutely loved them helping Baka at the IC, especially because it made Coco so bitter.  Considering their poor challenge performance at both the RC and IC, Baka might have figured it out on their own first anyway.  But glad the we finally got a glimpse of that tribe and what is going on over there.  I wasn't sorry to lose Lindsay and wish Cassidy and Geo went with her.  Karla, James, and Ryan are okay.

I thought Geo had the kiss of death by saying he was controlling things, but I guess paranoia was the true grim reaper tonight.  At TC I really thought Lindsay turned it around with her tribe and Geo was heading for the exit.  He's still on the outs since he was blindsided by the Lindsay vote.  Cassidy said she didn't want it to be her, so I'm wondering if she wasn't happy going along with that.

I'd actually say this was the best episode this season so far. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Appreciated some new components of the challenges, like the walking on blocks and pushing over the sandbags (completely possible those aren't totally new, but they certainly haven't been beaten into the ground, so they were new to me).

Also appreciated the zig zag from the editors, giving absolutely no "state of the union" for Coco setting up rivalries or anything, then having them end up losing immunity. It was a surprise!

Ready for a guy to be voted out, honestly. I'm sure it will even out eventually but it's a little frustrating at this point. Especially since there are several guys I'm quite ready to lose 😆

1 minute ago, LadyChatts said:

but I guess paranoia was the true grim reaper tonight.

I have a feeling that Lindsay's spiral was much worse than we even saw.

You don't vote someone out for wanting just a little bit of reassurance. 

• Like 4
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, vb68 said:

The thing at TC where I kind of took interest is when she said people weren't coming up to her, and that made her nervous.  As if it's everyone else's job to come to her and have conversations, or not have conversations with others to put them at ease.  This isn't old school Survivor where you can make a plan and it's set in stone.  There's a lot of different dynamics that can disrupt votes now (being overly paranoia or arrogant aside)

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

So Cody got the episode title (again).  Guess we know who the production favorite is this season.

Well he is my favorite so far.  He is the only one bringing some entertainment and laughs this season.  And clever bargaining to boot.

24 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

Appreciated some new components of the challenges, like the walking on blocks and pushing over the sandbags (completely possible those aren't totally new, but they certainly haven't been beaten into the ground, so they were new to me).

If the exciting new component is knocking a few sandbags over it just shows how pathetic these endless "challenges" are.  Puzzles are for rainy days indoors.  Not for outdoors in beautiful Fiji.

If this was run by The Amazing Race people they'd have something like a local demonstrating how to build a bamboo raft then the teams would have to build their own and row it a certain distance without sinking.  Last one there goes to tribal.

Edited by Skooma
  • Like 3
  • Love 9

Actually Lindsay prior to the merge  on a 6 person team it is the best opportunity to hide...unless you are actively working overtime to engineer YOUR OWN vote out! Congratulations on waiting 22 years to dig your own grave at the first opportunity. Well played madam, well played!

In other news didn't like the ganging up to work against the last team. Not because I have any love for them because frankly CoCo is the most boring team but it smacks too much of a couple seasons ago on TAR when teams were working together to deliberatly target another team. Seems to violate the sense of fair play.

Lindsay's crazy paranoia at the end saved this episode because I was ready to declare it one of the worst ever thanks to Cody's introspection on voting out his friend lasting a hot minute before he started doing his "character" again and worse than that I was gritting my teeth that half the episode was devoted to what to steal from another. Who cares? That's boring TV!

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, North of Eden said:

In other news didn't like the ganging up to work against the last team. Not because I have any love for them because frankly CoCo is the most boring team but it smacks too much of a couple seasons ago on TAR when teams were working together to deliberatly target another team. Seems to violate the sense of fair play.

Normally I would agree, especially if it had ramifications down the road (like us losing the coconut chopping challenge because of S29).  But in this case, I was all for it.  Coco needed to lose so we could get a sense of what was going on over there, and I didn't want them going into the merge with all their numbers in tact.  Plus, their reaction was hilarious.  Geo muttering under his breath "it wasn't earned."  And Cassidy calling the other two tribes losers when they didn't do so hot today.  They can't blame their RC loss on anyone but themselves (Ryan was really bad in that one).  

And while I fully believe Cody went over to Coco with the intent of not taking their machete, but negotiating for more items, I wonder if how they initially acted towards him when he said he wanted to take the machete had anything to do with Vesi helping Baka.  Lindsay basically threatened him that he'd be so sorry if he did that.  He probably told his tribe of the reaction and how it went down over there.  They clearly targeted Coco for a reason, too, with the camp raid.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6

To me it wasn’t just her paranoia, she was abrasive in her delivery, condescending.  Just because the plan was set didn’t mean you should stop playing the game and not talk to or reassure anyone else that someone else is the target and then telling the ones who were trying to ally with her that they were lying. Also she mentioned multiple times that she was the biggest threat on the tribe suggesting she felt she was better than them. Maybe that’s why she expected people to come to her to talk instead of the other way around. Anyway, I barely knew her so couldn’t care less that she dug her own hole. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 11

It's beginning to dawn on me I don't really care about any of these people so far. They're really playing up Cody as the big personality this season and while I don't actually hate him I'm not really rooting for him either, nor am I particularly amused by him. Nobody has really given me a reason to root for them at this point and I'm bored with the repetitive challenges. This was an especially anticlimactic episode, it was obviously down to two people at tribal. Never thought I'd miss the chaotic whisper-scrambling.

• Like 2
  • Love 8
30 minutes ago, Skooma said:

If the exciting new component is knocking a few sandbags over it just shows how pathetic these endless "challenges" are.  Puzzles are for rainy days indoors.  Not for outdoors in beautiful Fiji.

I still appreciated the innovation 🤷‍♂️ 

23 minutes ago, tvfanatic13 said:

I see that his tribe feels the same way about Gabler as I do…

I do feel a little bad for the guy because he's trying, but it's not really working.

"Here, let me put palm fronds on you as a blanket!" "Uh, this isn't really comfortable."

"Here, let me help you up the cargo net!" "Uh, you kinda yanked my arm out of its socket."

Yeah, Lindsay dug her own grave on this week's tribal council. Her being too paranoid did her in. I wanted Geo gone, because only women have been voted out so far. 

I actually liked it when Vesi helped Baka out at the last puzzle in the immunity challenge. Finally got to see what Coco was all about after their loss.

Still find Cody unamusing, immature, and can't get off my screen fast enough. A five year old would act more mature than him. I know he has fans, but not me. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, vb68 said:

Yeah, it must have been pretty bad for them to keep controlling, condescending Geo over her. Because if they had come through on the vote, it would have proved their loyalty and she would have calmed down. Whereas Geo is not going to magically become any less controlling or condescending.

Because of their winning streak, we have spent very little time with tonight’s losing team, so I had zero investment in who left or stayed. That made it a boring episode for me.

I am glad it wasn’t the red team losing again, though. Seeing Noelle’s artificial foot slip right through that net, I thought we might be seeing her one challenge weakness. And one they would surely vote her out for, despite her otherwise solid (often superior) performance. 

”Squares have right angles! Their sides don’t slant in! No, they don’t slant out, either!!” <-Me watching the challenge. And pretty much the same thing, in reverse, for the triangle. My four-year-old nephew can assemble a 4-piece puzzle without strategy sessions and help from his tiny friends. Why can’t these dimwits?

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, tracyscott76 said:

I do feel a little bad for the guy because he's trying, but it's not really working.

"Here, let me put palm fronds on you as a blanket!" "Uh, this isn't really comfortable."

"Here, let me help you up the cargo net!" "Uh, you kinda yanked my arm out of its socket."

This kind of reminds me of Skupin during Outback when he was trying to take charge and be the camp leader.  I remember one thing he did that irritated his tribe was getting up early to make food for them to have when they woke up, but they complained that it was never any good and he shouldn't have been making decisions about food without the group.  I think Gabler is trying to be nice in the same way, just doesn't know how it's coming across.  

I know I need my beauty sleep, so if I finally was able to fall asleep on a bamboo mattress, only to get woken up by someone covering me with a palm frond that may or may not be covered in bugs I wouldn't be happy, either.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I'm just enjoying this season.  So far, it is a far cry from the last two seasons.  Although, there is still time for some "drama" to happen, I think the TPTB are trying to return Survivor to the "old game" in a way.

Lindsey did dig her own grave, I guess she was right in having a feeling "something" was going on behind her back

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Kind of an aside here: I'm watching The Real Love Boat and they played @Nashville's favorite commercial.

I wish Geo had gone, mainly because only women have been voted out so far

I don't know what commercial you are talking about but I will say this.  I just can't with those Love Boat commercials.  I don't know who told Rebecca Romijn and Jerry O'Connell they could sing (Jerry is not that bad I guess but Rebecca sounds like they auto-tuned her.) but whoever did is wrong.  I guess pretty people cannot do everything.

5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It's beginning to dawn on me I don't really care about any of these people so far. They're really playing up Cody as the big personality this season and while I don't actually hate him I'm not really rooting for him either, nor am I particularly amused by him. Nobody has really given me a reason to root for them at this point and I'm bored with the repetitive challenges. This was an especially anticlimactic episode, it was obviously down to two people at tribal. Never thought I'd miss the chaotic whisper-scrambling.

That is how it is for me as well.  I don't really like or dislike anyone.  I guess if I had to pick the one person who has sort of annoyed me thus far, it would be Elie and I freely admit I am not sure why that is the case but there is something about her that irks me.

Has anyone made the comment of Cody looking like Joe Dirt?

• LOL 4
4 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Yeah, it must have been pretty bad for them to keep controlling, condescending Geo over her. Because if they had come through on the vote, it would have proved their loyalty and she would have calmed down. Whereas Geo is not going to magically become any less controlling or condescending.

That's the other downside of the blue tribe getting so little airtime.  Geo's only content was talking about his background and his struggles about being accepted.....but this week, he's suddenly been "controlling and condescending" this whole time.

• Like 5

Ok so first of all last week's preview gave away who loses immunity. Lindsay was shown saying the revenge line, and we all thought it was about the steal one item from their camp thing, but when this part was over and they went to the immunity challenge and she hadn't said it yet, it was clear that line had to do with them losing the immunity challenge. 😕

I loved how Cody used his salesman skills to earn more from the blue tribe. I'm sure some of them didn't love his approach (I see you Karla), but he played it well, like "I'm here to get your machete, don't shoot the messenger" and he was literally the only one who wanted the machete! That was really clever and funny.

Lindsay, you waited for 20 years to play this game, but were you actually WATCHING this game while waiting? Being cocky and paranoid are the two worst things you can be on Survivor. Good to see you go. Go back to your hospital and let people who actually know the game play it.

Do you think Noelle helping Elle solve the puzzle was a group decision or an individual one?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

”Squares have right angles! Their sides don’t slant in! No, they don’t slant out, either!!” <-Me watching the challenge. And pretty much the same thing, in reverse, for the triangle. My four-year-old nephew can assemble a 4-piece puzzle without strategy sessions and help from his tiny friends. Why can’t these dimwits?

It's one thing to solve a 4-piece puzzle in normal circumstances, where you have time to think. It's another to be doing it as part of a head to head to head competition where people are yelling advice (both helpful and unhelpful), Jeff is also yelling god knows what, losing means having to go to tribal council, and the pieces are almost as big as you.

1 hour ago, SummerDreams said:

Ok so first of all last week's preview gave away who loses immunity. Lindsay was shown saying the revenge line, and we all thought it was about the steal one item from their camp thing, but when this part was over and they went to the immunity challenge and she hadn't said it yet, it was clear that line had to do with them losing the immunity challenge. 😕

I thought she did talk about getting revenge during the camp raid...right to Cody's face, wasn't it?

Speaking of Cody, he lost me this episode, even before crowing about his negotiation skill. At the beginning when Noelle was thanking the others for keeping her over Nneka, Cody was like "you gotta perform". I get that he was sad about losing his ally Nneka, but...Noelle has performed, you dink. You even said so last episode!

45 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

It's one thing to solve a 4-piece puzzle in normal circumstances, where you have time to think. It's another to be doing it as part of a head to head to head competition where people are yelling advice (both helpful and unhelpful), Jeff is also yelling god knows what, losing means having to go to tribal council, and the pieces are almost as big as you.

It’s still four pieces. FOUR PIECES. No, no sympathy.,

• Applause 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

Yeah, count me in as another who, although doesn't like team-ups, also needed to see Coco more as they've been invisible thus far (except for Karla). I think they needed to lose so we'd get a sense of what's going on on their tribe, although they still got less air time than the last couple of episodes (I guess due to the reward and immunity challenges being separate).

Lindsay's paranoia did her in. As much as I don't love seeing another woman go (and, at this point, a man has to go next week so it doesn't becoming a Pagoning for the women), it was the right call. A paranoid player like Lindsay is the most dangerous type of player to keep long-term. Any little thing could set them off and before you know it, they've flipped to the other side. If Lindsay made merge, there was a decent chance she could turn on her allies. When someone shows you who they are, believe them. And Lindsay showed she cannot be trusted since she cannot trust her own allies after nine days and under their first Tribal.

Geo is a liability as well, but he can be controlled through the exploitation of his ego. He also just got knocked down a couple of pegs by being the outsider of the vote. 

Cody is a character, sure, I just don't like him very much. I'm glad Karla clocked him, although a bit too late, even after he tricked them.

I'm so glad to see Gabler rubbing more than Elie the wrong way, but they fucked up since he can use his idol at the next Tribal, ensuring they're stuck with him, potentially until merge. 

Same old challenges, just rotating in and out each week. Knock something down, toss something on a ledge, crawl under something, go climb something else, solve a puzzle.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

I thought she did talk about getting revenge during the camp raid...right to Cody's face, wasn't it?

The part we saw on the preview was her talking to the producers saying she didn't like that the red tribe helped the yellow tribe win and after the merge she will want some revenge. The quote was "I want some revenge" and after not being shown before the immunity challenge, it was obvious the blue tribe were going to lose.

7 hours ago, BK1978 said:

I don't know what commercial you are talking about but I will say this.  I just can't with those Love Boat commercials.  I don't know who told Rebecca Romijn and Jerry O'Connell they could sing (Jerry is not that bad I guess but Rebecca sounds like they auto-tuned her.) but whoever did is wrong.  I guess pretty people cannot do everything.

That is how it is for me as well.  I don't really like or dislike anyone.  I guess if I had to pick the one person who has sort of annoyed me thus far, it would be Elie and I freely admit I am not sure why that is the case but there is something about her that irks me.

Has anyone made the comment of Cody looking like Joe Dirt?

It's the Geico "when you're in a horror movies you make bad decisions. It's what you do" commercial. Look at his avatar.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Some people’s brains simply lack the wiring for that sort of spatial awareness.  Remember the girl on BB a few years back who could’ve saved herself from eviction by assembling an 8-piece life-sized puzzle of herself, but couldn’t do it?  Same difference.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SummerDreams said:

The part we saw on the preview was her talking to the producers saying she didn't like that the red tribe helped the yellow tribe win and after the merge she will want some revenge. The quote was "I want some revenge" and after not being shown before the immunity challenge, it was obvious the blue tribe were going to lose.

Ah, fair enough, I didn't remember that part. Between that and telling Cody they could retaliate for the raid, I guess Lindsay just has a lot of vengeance on her mind 😆

15 hours ago, vb68 said:

And what I saw was pretty bad, my heavens she went batshit for absolutely no reason. She was delusional about her standing in the tribe as well. Since they had yet to go to tribal, how exactly was she "playing the game" by sitting around the fire, eating and drinking to her hearts content? No strategizing, no immunity idol searching. Nothing. Her being nasty to Cody about the machete was the most I've seen her "play" and she actually dealt him a better hand by being a bitch about the steal.

14 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Normally I would agree, especially if it had ramifications down the road (like us losing the coconut chopping challenge because of S29).  But in this case, I was all for it.  Coco needed to lose so we could get a sense of what was going on over there, and I didn't want them going into the merge with all their numbers in tact.  Plus, their reaction was hilarious.  Geo muttering under his breath "it wasn't earned."  And Cassidy calling the other two tribes losers when they didn't do so hot today.  They can't blame their RC loss on anyone but themselves (Ryan was really bad in that one).  

Absolutely hilarious how pouty and whiney they were when they lost! 

14 hours ago, dizzyd said:

Also she mentioned multiple times that she was the biggest threat on the tribe suggesting she felt she was better than them

And while I don't normally like Teams ganging up I think @LadyChatts is spot on with saying you need to get their numbers down before the merge or else you will be off'd one by one.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Nashville said:

Some people’s brains simply lack the wiring for that sort of spatial awareness.  Remember the girl on BB a few years back who could’ve saved herself from eviction by assembling an 8-piece life-sized puzzle of herself, but couldn’t do it?  Same difference.

This is me. I'm horrible at any sort of spatial puzzle.

• Hugs 1
  • Love 2

I’m watching The Challenge and recording this. It’s more about how sixty minutes is fewer than ninety . . . though my tolerance for Cody and Sami gets lower every week.

I think we should have known Coco was doomed when Ryan threw the first sandbag . . . and it flew between two blocks. “Threading the needle” sounds cliche, but I don’t think either block moved.

15 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

I see that his tribe feels the same way about Gabler as I do…

“Palm frond?” “Whuh?” “Palm frond!” “Nooooooo.” “Palm frond.”

4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Same old challenges, just rotating in and out each week. Knock something down, toss something on a ledge, crawl under something, go climb something else, solve a puzzle.

Well, they had to solve TWO puzzles! Looks like the Dream Team has upped their game! 🙄

16 hours ago, mojoween said:

I know a merge is going to come blah blah blah but fuck that.  No helping!

I don’t think its a black/white thing. Teams constantly helping each other wrecked TAR32, but I figure it was poor received because fans have higher standards. Survivor? Not so much.

• LOL 3
6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Four pieces, a couple inches in size, and on a table are much, much easier to put together than heavy life-sized pieces that you have to stack and can't just easily spin to see if they will fit correctly.

• Like 6
  • Love 3

I kept thinking about how Lindsay's probably spent all these months feeling smug and vindicated, like she was right to be paranoid because they totally were voting her out -- until she watched the episode. 

17 hours ago, Skooma said:

If this was run by The Amazing Race people they'd have something like a local demonstrating how to build a bamboo raft then the teams would have to build their own and row it a certain distance without sinking.  Last one there goes to tribal.

I recently rewatched some of Season 1 and was surprised to be reminded how much the challenges really were some spin on "an actual thing you might have to do if you're stranded." Of course the challenges were very hit-or-miss back then but they were generally more interesting. Now I tend to just zone out until one team is almost finished.

9 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

Four pieces, a couple inches in size, and on a table are much, much easier to put together than heavy life-sized pieces that you have to stack and can't just easily spin to see if they will fit correctly.

Yes, I think not being able to see the big picture the way we do on the screen makes a big difference.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, gesundheit said:

I kept thinking about how Lindsay's probably spent all these months feeling smug and vindicated, like she was right to be paranoid because they totally were voting her out -- until she watched the episode.

Damned if this same thought hadn’t gone through my mind as well. 😆

“Lindsay, the Self-Fulfilling Prophecy”

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Lindsay's paranoia did her in. As much as I don't love seeing another woman go (and, at this point, a man has to go next week so it doesn't becoming a Pagoning for the women), it was the right call. A paranoid player like Lindsay is the most dangerous type of player to keep long-term. Any little thing could set them off and before you know it, they've flipped to the other side. If Lindsay made merge, there was a decent chance she could turn on her allies. When someone shows you who they are, believe them. And Lindsay showed she cannot be trusted since she cannot trust her own allies after nine days and under their first Tribal.

Geo is a liability as well, but he can be controlled through the exploitation of his ego. He also just got knocked down a couple of pegs by being the outsider of the vote. 

Cody is a character, sure, I just don't like him very much. I'm glad Karla clocked him, although a bit too late, even after he tricked them.

I'm so glad to see Gabler rubbing more than Elie the wrong way, but they fucked up since he can use his idol at the next Tribal, ensuring they're stuck with him, potentially until merge. 

I do worry that we may get a Pagonging of the women.  If Vesi loses, Noelle could go home.  Now, she does have the steal-a-vote, which only Dwight knows about (that we've seen).  Playing that correctly could give her another couple of days.  However, Cody has his idol, which I think only Jesse knows about.  If she steals the vote, and the idol comes out and is played correctly, she might leave.  Baka's more of a toss-up.  I could see Gabler going home with the idol in his pocket if he felt super comfortable, because Sami and Owen might be over him.  He's another one whose paranoia might get the better of him.  But if Sami and Owen decide to vote off one of the women, then Elie or Jeanine could be gone.  And Coco's even more of a wildcard, since I still feel like we haven't gotten to see much of their dynamic. 

Geo seems like the most obvious boot, since he was solely on the outside last night and is annoying everyone.  But now there's 3 men and 2 women.  Whose to say the men won't gang up and vote off Cassidy or Karla?  I got the impression that Cassidy maybe didn't want to vote Lindsay off last night, but was overruled (I thought she told her she didn't want her to leave as she was standing up to get her torch).  And I kind of think Karla doesn't have a lot of use for Cassidy.  So really, for entirely stupid reasons, the women aren't looking so safe.

Last night was probably the first night I could tolerate Cody, but I still wish I could reach through the TV and slap him.  I didn't like how he acted towards Noelle after they got back from TC, and he really just acts like he's so much better at this game than everyone else.  

• Like 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

I got the impression that Cassidy maybe didn't want to vote Lindsay off last night, but was overruled (I thought she told her she didn't want her to leave as she was standing up to get her torch). 

Yea, she said "I'm so sorry. I wish it wasn't you." She could've just been trying to stay in Lindsay's good graces or something but it seems likely she probably wanted to stick to voting out Geo since she likely knew he was gunning for her.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I didn't like the way Noelle (seemingly) made an executive decision and started helping out Baka... but then again I liked the result! It was great to see Coco lose a tribe member, and even things up a little. So far I like Ryan and James, but they are a dull tribe. A bit mean of the edit to feature Lyndsay talking earnestly to camera over and over about what an enormous threat she was, and how she was obviously the biggest threat to win out there, etc, but also rather enjoyable. Talk about tanking your own game.

Really exciting to see Vesi win two challenges in a row, and at such a crucial time. I would have stuck with the fish, raw, and also if possible improvised some curing, etc. But now they have flint and fishing gear, their lack of protein may soon not be a problem anyway. I know he's not a fave here, but I enjoy Cody's attitude and confessionals so much and think he did very well in handling that steal from Coco. Lyndsay"s "revenge" was organising her own vote out!

Edited by violet and green
wrong tribe
  • Like 4
  • Love 4
34 minutes ago, violet and green said:

Really exciting to see Vesi win two challenges in a row, and at such a crucial time. I would have stuck with the fish, raw, and also if possible improvised some curing, etc. 

I know they couldn't take the other teams' flints but could they have taken a log from the fire that was full of embers to get their fire going again? 

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

... I got the impression that Cassidy maybe didn't want to vote Lindsay off last night, but was overruled (I thought she told her she didn't want her to leave as she was standing up to get her torch).  And I kind of think Karla doesn't have a lot of use for Cassidy.  So really, for entirely stupid reasons, the women aren't looking so safe.

Actually I didn't think she she said it that way.  Not that she was overruled but more Lindsay didn't give her any other choice after she turned into a paranoid wildcard so she was sorry over that but too polite to phrase it as "You turned into one batshit crazy paranoid on us so we had to get rid of you."  She seemed more sorry Lindsay had gone bonkers but wanted to be nice about it.

Also the biggest guy in the tribe -- don't know names -- who tried to talk Lindsay off her cliff of paranoia, is in an alliance with all the women as well as a second with the two men.  He seems more into the alliance with the two women to me. 

But I don't care one way or the other.  The game is to outwit, outlast and outplay so I don't care what gender goes next.  I really don't count up gender numbers and never have.  I like people on this show and others based on if I like them for various reasons (sweet, nice, deliciously evil, witty, funny, good game player, etc) none of which has anything remotely to do with gender or any other physical attribute people have no control over.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

This episode reminded me how much I prefer a separate reward challenge.  I realize in a 26 day season it's just not feasible, but it just brings so much more depth to the tribal dynamics and game play.  I get that they don't have time for it,  and it might be too much physically (although the reward challenge wasn't particularly taxing as Survivor goes) but I wish they had them more often.

I'm sure it wasn't going through their heads right that minute, but it made sense for Vesi to help defeat Coco, because otherwise the tribes would have been 6-4-4, and that most likely would lead to a tribe swap.  Instead they are 5-5-4 and probably buy themselves at least one more tribal before a swap.   I suspect their only thought at the time was trying to weaken Coco.

Karla was an early pick for me and she continues to impress.  I'm keeping my eye on her, but I think she's getting a quiet winner's edit.

I suspect there will be a big Gabler/Elie war somewhere down the line.  They really are building to it.  Whoever wins that probably goes deep.

Ok. Cody is growing on me a little.  He's no Luke, tho.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Fretful said:

Karla was an early pick for me and she continues to impress.  I'm keeping my eye on her, but I think she's getting a quiet winner's edit.

I 100% agree. There was no episode she didn't get at least one confessional and we only see the good and smart things she does. We are getting her whole story, while we have no idea what other people are doing. Poor Lindsay just left and we had no idea what she did in the 9 days she stayed in the game. We just saw a lunatic who voted herself out.

Ellie and Cody are getting huge screentime as well but I think it will have to do with their downfall / entertainment impact and not because they win.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, eel21788 said:

I know they couldn't take the other teams' flints but could they have taken a log from the fire that was full of embers to get their fire going again? 

And how many times do they have to win to get that flint back? I didn't realize that when Jeff took it, it was gone for good. Seems like one piece of equipment they should be allowed to keep, especially since they protected the other tribe's flint from being stolen. Did I miss something, is permanent loss of flint one of their "clever" new twists. 

I 100% agree. There was no episode she didn't get at least one confessional and we only see the good and smart things she does. We are getting her whole story, while we have no idea what other people are doing. Poor Lindsay just left and we had no idea what she did in the 9 days she stayed in the game. We just saw a lunatic who voted herself out.

Yeah, she's one of the only people on her tribe with any visibility at all after the first episode. Lindsay stood out to me in the first episode as potentially being super irritating, she just has that vibe of someone you'd work with who's very bossy and convinced of their own superiority. So watching her vote herself out was a bit funny to me, but it's also annoying that it made her seem right in the moment. Hopefully watching it back on TV was a duh! moment for her, but somehow I suspect she still thinks she was right. 

I'm not even really sure what she thought she was accomplishing by being all "y'all aren't fooling me with this perfectly logical and set plan to get rid of an annoying guy, this is clearly all just a ploy to get rid of the biggest threat: ME." Worst case scenario, she's right and she goes home because she did zero work to change the possible outcome. Was the personal satisfaction of saying "I KNEW IT" to yourself on your boat ride off the island really worth it? She wanted to be on the show for 20 something years and she blew it entirely just for the sake of not being "fooled" by anyone. That's pure hubris.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ljenkins782 said:

And how many times do they have to win to get that flint back? I didn't realize that when Jeff took it, it was gone for good. Seems like one piece of equipment they should be allowed to keep, especially since they protected the other tribe's flint from being stolen. Did I miss something, is permanent loss of flint one of their "clever" new twists. 

They lose their flint when they lose an immunity challenge. They get it back the next time they don't lose an immunity challenge. Since the red team lost two immunity challenges in a row, they stayed flint-less longer than usual.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Cody’s a showboat who I don’t particularly like but he wowed me with his negotiating skills( I will never buy a used car from him).  I think he will be picked off when  the tribes merge but he’s interesting to watch. I like Karla because she’s no fool but she seems to have a good head for this game.

• Like 1
  • Love 2