Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E01: LIVE!

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

For the first time ever, Emmy Award-winning "Shark Tank" will go LIVE in front of a studio audience when it returns for its 14th season. Sharks Mark Cuban, Barbara Corcoran, Lori Greiner, Robert Herjavec, Daymond John and Kevin O'Leary will be unedited and unfiltered as they listen to entrepreneurs seeking to secure an investment that will change their lives forever. The one-night-only live event will allow home viewers to weigh in on whether the Sharks should take the plunge and make a deal when it premieres.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Love 2

Only 3 pitches, but all interesting. Mark, Daymond, Lori, Kevin, Robert, Barbara.

1-KENT-underwear and t-shirts that are compostable, decomposes in 90 days, you can do it on your compost pile, or send them to the company.   Daymond makes the deal. 

2-Oogie Bear-Fantastic margins, booger remover, and other baby health devices.  Who would think five sharks would be fighting over a booger remover?   They do have a useful looking product line.     I've never heard Booger said so many times on TV in my life.   Deal is Robert, and Barbara.

3-Pizza Pack (same man who pitched the Cheese Chopper, no deal, but it's still selling).  It's a fridge pack for pizza, either a slice or the whole pizza, dividers keep slices separate, and you can use the dividers for plates, or put the whole pack in the microwave with a vented hood to stop soggy pizza.     Mark offers over $1,5  million for the whole company.  The seller said it would cost $5 million for him to sell Mark the entire company.     Lori makes a good offer.   Lori makes the deal with the seller, doesn't try to buy the company.  Did anyone ask if there are competitors?   There certainly are on Amazon, the competitors are cheaper too, but the competitors reviews from buyers are not as good. You can get a Cheese Chopper on there too.    Yes, I ordered one, of the original Pizza Packs.    It's not easy to determine which one is the original on that site. 

The preview looks good for the rest of the season, except I'm not watching Gwyneth Paltrow. 

I didn't like the screaming audience, the text polls were ridiculous,   What was Barbara wearing?   She should get another stylist. 

(Thanks DEL901, I fixed the price for Mark's Pizza Pack offer.    I hated the live version, and hope they never do that again.    I don't watch this for screaming free-for-alls with everyone going wild to try to make the deal.    Also, their TV makeup looked really odd when the sharks weren't exactly in their chairs.  I'm sure they selected three products they knew the sharks would fight over, and that's wrong.)

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9

The live show did not work at all, IMO. So much talking over each other, they seemed to be giving different offers than they normally would, and there was way too much annoying audience cheering. Plus it seemed rushed and those polls were awful questions.

I did like seeing what the announcer looks like.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 16

HHHAAAATTTED this format. Also hated  (in no particular order):

Barbara’s dress

the booger people and their product

the Trapper-Keeper plastic pizza box

the annoying, loud crowd

the stupid home audience polls

the Sharks talking over one another

the over the top fake enthusiasm and pandering to the audience

the constant reminder that we are watching a one of a kind!! first time!! epic!! LIVE episode!!!!!

Dear ABC, Please do not ever do this bullshit stunt again. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 15

This episode was terrible.  How was the booger girl supposed to seriously pick a deal with all the sharks yelling over each other. And then she gets like ten seconds to take it all in and make a deal.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Only 3 pitches, but all interesting. Mark, Daymond, Lori, Kevin, Robert, Barbara.

Hide contents

1-KENT-underwear and t-shirts that are compostable, decomposes in 90 days, you can do it on your compost pile, or send them to the company.   Daymond makes the deal. 

2-Oogie Bear-Fantastic margins, booger remover, and other baby health devices.  Who would think five sharks would be fighting over a booger remover?   They do have a useful looking product line.     I've never heard Booger said so many times on TV in my life.   Deal is Robert, and Barbara.

3-Pizza Pack (same man who pitched the Cheese Chopper, no deal, but it's still selling).  It's a fridge pack for pizza, either a slice or the whole pizza, dividers keep slices separate, and you can use the dividers for plates, or put the whole pack in the microwave with a vented hood to stop soggy pizza.     Mark offers over $5.1 million for the whole company.   Lori makes a good offer.   Lori makes the deal.  Did anyone ask if there are competitors?   There certainly on Amazon, the competitors are cheaper too, but you can get a Cheese Chopper on there too.    Yes, I ordered one, of the originals.    It's not easy to determine which one is the original on that site. 

The preview looks good for the rest of the season, except I'm not watching Gwyneth Paltrow. 

I didn't like the screaming audience, the text polls were ridiculous,   What was Barbara wearing?   She should get another stylist. 

You might want to fix the $ for Mark’s bid on the pizza thing…numbers are swapped.  

And agree with everyone….live sucked.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

To comment on the actual products:

Compostable underwear seems like a good idea in theory, but they had way to high a valuation, the product was way too expensive and it was all pointless if someone doesn't have access to compost. No one is going to mail back used underwear. When they said some people have, I think they mean 1 person did and it is one of their parents or a friend or something.

I don't have kids so I have no idea if there is a need for nose picking product. She seemed to have sales, so good for her. But I think she should have picked Lori and Mark.

I like the pizza product. I don't get pizza that much, but it is a pain in the ass to save the leftover slices. I thought Mark was tricking him when he asked how much he wanted to walk away. Like, if he had a low number, Mark would say he didn't really care about his product if he was willing to let it go. I thought it was reasonable for him to say $5 million, because even if the company wasn't worth that, he was giving up something he wanted. 

With the regular negotiations, they talk for an hour and edit it down. The people have time to ask questions about the deals if they want. It didn't seem fair to the entrepreneurs to have to pick a deal so fast. And with all the screaming. I wonder if they had a choice about being in the live episode or not.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Hated the live format and the stupid polls. I can’t stand Barbara so I was glad to see her stylist also hates her.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

This was one of the worst viewing experiences ever. I hope they never do live in front of an audience again. It was too frantic and rushed as well as only 3 pitches instead of 4. I also didn't like 6 Sharks instead of 5. There was no cohesion & the what does America think part was more of a waste. Terrible!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 12

I didn’t like this either. I could barely hear the sharks and didn’t like any of the products. The pizza thing looked like plastic, I wouldn’t put it in the microwave. I’m also not mailing my used underwear for composting. Also thought the fake picture of the sharks wearing the underwear was dumb. I thought the booger lady was smug and annoying. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I am in the minority here.  I did not hate it--as long as they keep it to a one and done.  I thought the products were better than some they showed recently.  I liked that they used the old Millionaire music for the poll--it was funny.

I would be interested in the pizza product.  No kids, so no knowledge of the booger thing, but it seemed like a big problem to the public.

• Like 2

The worst part of this show has always been when the sharks won't stop talking over each other - so going live exacerbated it because there's no editing around it. Dumb choice, producers.

I think this was the first time I've ever seen a product on this show that I already own. Got oogiebear a year ago, at the rec of someone who already had one for months. Had no idea they were new enough/small enough to bother being on this show.

• Like 2

I hope this live format is just a 'one and done' time. This was awful. The sharks were performing for the audience trying to get them to react to their antics... totally out of character. And the announcer sitting in the raised booth? Over the top. All of this combined was so distracting that it was hard to pay attention to the products.🤷‍♀️😕 

2022-09-24 11.09.07-1.jpg

• Love 5
15 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I know what you mean... Gwyneth Paltrow and her "This smells like my vagina" candle. Quite the entrepreneur.🙄

• LOL 4
  • Love 6

I just LOVE the way that everyone is writing "pick a deal" in their reviews -- pick, nose, geddit?  Fits in with this abomination of a show.  Can Shark Tank jump ITSELF??

Pizza keeper is totally useless for this Chicagoan who gets pizza cut tavern style (squares) rather than Noo Yawk slices.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I am in the minority here.  I did not hate it--as long as they keep it to a one and done.  I thought the products were better than some they showed recently.  I liked that they used the old Millionaire music for the poll--it was funny.

I would be interested in the pizza product.  No kids, so no knowledge of the booger thing, but it seemed like a big problem to the public.

Just be careful with the Pizza Pack on Amazon or other websites, there are competitors and they're a little cheaper, but the reviews for other ones aren't as good (complaints about missing pieces, etc).    They say the white container doesn't stain, but I ordered black so I don't have to worry at all.  The Pizza Pack guy does still sell the Cheese Chopper (or whatever it's called), so I guess Kevin's idea to take that out behind the barn and put it down wasn't taken.  

It was good to see all of the Sharks together again.   But the crowd was too raucous, some were playing to the crowd too much (Mark), and the constant shouting was bad.   I think Daymond was losing his voice at the end.    I hope Oogiebear Booger remover doesn't end up another Tipsy Elves with constant updates.  

I hope Barbara's not going to wear the same outfit all season. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1

So in feeling superficial. Lori looks like she may have had the craziest eyebrow lift or facelift possible - good lord 🤣

barbaras dress? Oy vey. 

i disliked the live format but I did love that all the original sharks were there together . Gwyneth paltros ? Ill just mute her , although she did get thousands of people to fork out $75 for a vagina candle. I cant think of anything more ridiculous than that.

• Applause 3
  • Love 1
On 9/23/2022 at 11:09 PM, KaveDweller said:

Compostable underwear seems like a good idea in theory, but they had way to high a valuation, the product was way too expensive and it was all pointless if someone doesn't have access to compost. No one is going to mail back used underwear. When they said some people have, I think they mean 1 person did and it is one of their parents or a friend or something.

I don't have kids so I have no idea if there is a need for nose picking product. She seemed to have sales, so good for her. But I think she should have picked Lori and Mark.

I have some organic cotton underwear from a company (Knickey) that will accept old (clean) underwear and bras for shredding. I don't remember what they do with it, but it's not composting. You get a free pair with your next order when you send in a box of old stuff. That underwear is $14 a pair, which is pretty much breaking the bank for me. They aren't made that much better than Fruit of the Loom, so I'm not in love with them.

I don't get why the nose picker people didn't name the tool Boogie Bear or Booger Bear. It's right there.

I'll add my voice to the chorus of hatred for the live show format. It was almost unwatchable for me. It was very obvious they picked products that didn't even need deals because of already high sales, which I hate about this show in recent years. The Sharks playing to the live audience was obnoxious.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 5

I second all the comments about the awfulness of the experience.

I can't remember...what inconsequential thing did the booger lady say they needed the money for?  No one had even asked her, it simply came up in one of her answers.  Meanwhile I had been shouting at the screen "Why on earth does she need their money?!"

On 9/23/2022 at 9:05 PM, KaveDweller said:

Plus it seemed rushed and those polls were awful questions.

And then Robert messed up by asking the audience "Does anyone change their underwear within a year?" and it was obvious the audience was very confused.  Someone, I think Mark, cleared it up by saying "buy" instead of "change".  And what the hell was Robert jacked up on?

• Love 4
On 9/23/2022 at 11:09 PM, KaveDweller said:

IIRC, Damon went out on this deal and then came back in when he saw everyone going crazy over it.  So if I were her, I would have been wary about choosing to go with a shark winner who didn't believe enough in the concept originally.

BTW, I don't compost and was not interested in the underwear, but if I were, I would definitely send back the underwear if they included a postage-paid mailer envelope.

• Love 1

I think the number one problem with the live format is the time limitation.  We’ve heard before presentations can take more than an hour….plenty of time for all interested sharks to have their say, but with this limitation, they had to all talk over each other.  

And producers were careful to ensure no dud products so the audience wouldn’t be tempted to boo.  

As for the live audience, I’m pretty sure this is a one time thing for two reasons….1). Four presentations could take hours and 2) I’m sure there are some things that aren’t aired for various reasons that could make the sharks look bad or give away info the presenters would want on tv, but on pvr you have an audience…

I was shocked by how much I did not like this show.  Way over the top.  Way too loud.  Way too much.  I watch many shows that have a live audience, but this show seemed to play to the audience way too much (I know I already wrote that...) and the mics on the audience were set to 1000.  Oogie Bear woman started yelling so they could hear her over the noise.  If they do any more live episodes I won't watch.  

There really isn't anything special about the underwear as cotton (fabric, clothes, etc.) will decompose (I did a decomposition project way back in high school).  So, it's nothing new, they are just marketing it differently.  Oh, and the woman said she and her friends couldn't find all cotton underwear which is not true unless they refuse to look at lesser brands (jockey, etc.).

Booger people-I haven't had children so don't know, but the whole presentation just bothered me most likely due to the audience.

Pizza keeper?  I just put leftover slices on plates and cover them with plastic wrap and they do okay.  

I am so relieved that I am not the only one who did not care for this episode.  

• Love 4
4 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Meanwhile I had been shouting at the screen "Why on earth does she need their money?!"

This is me every episode.

4 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

BTW, I don't compost and was not interested in the underwear, but if I were, I would definitely send back the underwear if they included a postage-paid mailer envelope.

Knickey, which I mentioned upthread, does pay shipping for your old underthings. They email a label for printing, and then you pack up your stuff in whatever box you have laying around. I swear I don't work for them.

17 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

There really isn't anything special about the underwear as cotton (fabric, clothes, etc.) will decompose (I did a decomposition project way back in high school).  So, it's nothing new, they are just marketing it differently.  Oh, and the woman said she and her friends couldn't find all cotton underwear which is not true unless they refuse to look at lesser brands (jockey, etc.).

TMI, but I wear all-cotton underwear, so yeah, it exists. There are more brands than one can imagine. I know because I've looked over and over again for different styles, "greener" brands, organic cotton, etc.

They just straight-up lied.

• Love 3

Barbara’s heels were too high. She could barely walk. The intro where the sharks walked in reminded me of a beauty pageant. And not in a good way.  The whole thing was awful.  

I have no problem finding cotton underwear.  I wash mine and they last for years.  I’m not tossing them (or returning them) daily, weekly or even monthly. The guy’s explanation about how their product differed from regular cotton underwear was vague.   $20-24 is a lot for plain cotton.   

The pizza thing was ok but not needed.  As someone above said, dish with plastic wrap works fine.  I also thinks it’s unfair that, with so many entrepreneurs who want to get on the show, some folks get second shots with mediocre products.  

I hated the playing to the audience.  Hated the women’s dresses (normally, I love what Barbara wears).  Not excited about any of the products or entrepreneurs.  If this format continues, I may be one and done for this season   

• Love 3

Thank God I am not alone!  I HAAAAAAATED this episode!  So loud! So rushed!  Please never again with this dumbass live format.

The audience questions were just squished into the segments and they were so dumb.  When Mark asked the pizza guy "how much?" I also said $5M.  I think he's going to do very well with Lori.

The booger thing was interesting.  I have had to wrestle down my children many times to empty out their noses - maybe this would have made my life easier?

Add me to the list of people who own cotton underwear and it doesn't cost me anywhere near $24 USD a pair - yikes.  Is it supposed to be compostable just because it's made of cotton?  Is there some other hocus-pocus that I'm missing?

Barbara - please wear shoes that you can walk in and BURN that dress!

• Love 6

I got the impression those people want me to pay $24 for one piece of underwear and then after some short time take it outside and bury it, probably with some sort of service or incantation. Who worries that much about their old underwear? It’s a really hard sell to convince me the ratty Jockey shorts I threw in the trash are a huge threat to our survival. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I agree with Tango64 that the underwear people seem to expect people to wear underwear only a few times before throwing them out.  Do they think people only wear them once and then throw them away?  I have underwear that is several years old because I take care of them (and no, they're not all torn, etc.).  If they want to address something that does affect landfill, why not disposable diapers or plastic packaging?  Another solution looking for a problem.  And their valuation was insane.

• Applause 1
  • Love 6
On 9/25/2022 at 8:42 AM, LuvMyShows said:

And then Robert messed up by asking the audience "Does anyone change their underwear within a year?" and it was obvious the audience was very confused.  Someone, I think Mark, cleared it up by saying "buy" instead of "change".  And what the hell was Robert jacked up on?

Robert has been bugging me for a while.  He is jacked up on something.

20 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Pizza keeper?  I just put leftover slices on plates and cover them with plastic wrap and they do okay.  

I just keep it in the box, and close up the box and stick it in the fridge.  I thought everyone did that.

• Love 3
On 9/23/2022 at 9:04 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I've never heard Booger said so many times on TV in my life.

Johnny Fever would be proud!

14 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Do they think people only wear them once and then throw them away?

I'm way ahead of them - my underwear composts in my dresser draw...

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

I just keep it in the box, and close up the box and stick it in the fridge.  I thought everyone did that.

The idea is that the box takes up a lot of room in the fridge.

For us - when we have leftover pizza, we usually freeze it for a future date.  We do sort of wedge pieces into some square NotTupperware boxes, so maybe something more appropriately shaped would be better for us.  This product is certainly more versatile than the cheese grater (which like Kevin, I also hated)

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, aemom said:

For us - when we have leftover pizza, we usually freeze it for a future date.  We do sort of wedge pieces into some square NotTupperware boxes, so maybe something more appropriately shaped would be better for us.  This product is certainly more versatile than the cheese grater (which like Kevin, I also hated)

I am weird in that unless the pizza is fresh out of the oven, I don't like it.  I know people love cold pizza, my family does so I get it, but I would rather throw it away than re-heat and have it soggy.  I have to ask, when you freeze it, how do you re-heat it?

• Love 1
On 9/25/2022 at 11:22 AM, seacliffsal said:

I wondered if they were talking about the elastic in underwear?  Which makes me wonder what they are using that will compost?  Or maybe elastic does?

• Useful 1
35 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

I am weird in that unless the pizza is fresh out of the oven, I don't like it.  I know people love cold pizza, my family does so I get it, but I would rather throw it away than re-heat and have it soggy.  I have to ask, when you freeze it, how do you re-heat it?

I also don't like it cold or soggy.

I microwave it for about a minute to defrost it, and then I put it in the toaster oven for about 4 minutes to get it nice and crispy.

22 minutes ago, lh25 said:

I wondered if they were talking about the elastic in underwear?  Which makes me wonder what they are using that will compost?  Or maybe elastic does?

I also wondered the same thing - and if elastic will indeed compost, then any cotton underwear is compostable which makes their crazy expensive underwear even more ridiculous and then we can compost any of them.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, aemom said:

I also don't like it cold or soggy.

I microwave it for about a minute to defrost it, and then I put it in the toaster oven for about 4 minutes to get it nice and crispy.

I also wondered the same thing - and if elastic will indeed compost, then any cotton underwear is compostable which makes their crazy expensive underwear even more ridiculous and then we can compost any of them.

Toaster oven!  That never occurred to me.

I don't compost but my sister does and she said everything except chicken bones can be put in.  I should ask her about underwear.

• LOL 2
6 hours ago, aemom said:

The reviews on Amazon for the Cheese Chopper are interesting, but not in a good way.   Since the inventer has the chopper, now the pizza pack, then I bet he has a few more he's working on.   

I did order a Pizza Pack, we'll see if that was a mistake or not.   But it certainly will take a lot less room in the fridge than a pizza box. 

The other two items are items I will never buy.   

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The reviews on Amazon for the Cheese Chopper are interesting, but not in a good way.   Since the inventer has the chopper, now the pizza pack, then I bet he has a few more he's working on.   

I did order a Pizza Pack, we'll see if that was a mistake or not.   But it certainly will take a lot less room in the fridge than a pizza box. 

The other two items are items I will never buy.   

Let us know how you like the Pizza Pack - I'm interested in your review!

For Shark Tank products, I like looking at the Amazon reviews, the 1 and 2 star ones can be very entertaining.    They shipped my Pizza Pack, so it should be here soon. 

For the three pitches, the KENT underwear one sounded ridiculous, and I wonder what the quality is like?   Their t-shirt didn't look any different from many other on the market, and I hate when the arms are so short, and look like their cut small. 

The baby one doesn't interest me at all. 

I actually liked the top of Barbara's dress. It would not have been bad with a solid color pencil skirt. The ruffly bottom in different pastel colors is not a good look for anyone over 6 years old. I had more of a problem with Lori's dress. It had that weird  diamond cutout to expose her cleavage and the shoulders looked pointy. Why would anyone want pointy shoulders?

Edited by Faceplant
Same as always, spelling
  • Love 1