Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion II: Discussing Today's Episode and Current Storylines

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

They do not do transplants on patients over 70.  Are they SERIOUSLY trying to convince us that Paulina is under 70?  I'm sorry, even devil possession is easier to believe than that!

Well Jackee is 67 so that still tracks.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

The scenes today - the many, many, apparently endless scenes today - of Paulina bearing up so bravely, of her family bearing up so bravely, of Abe bearing up so bravely, touched me.  No, seriously touched me.  In a way I haven't been touched since that bad bunch of honey shrimp I had at the San Francisco branch of Bubba Gumps lo those many years ago.

giphy.gif

It's rare to be touched like that.  Thank God.

Paulina will undoubtedly get some poor schmuck's heart and the rest of us will get diabetes watching it happen.

Paulina's storyline almost made Whip and Trendy stuck in the beer vault look like edgy storytelling.  Almost.  Well, at least a little.

Best part of today was watching Steve stare at his phone.  He was the lucky one.

• LOL 11

Chad and Stephanie sharing scenes again is boring.  Chad's best scene of the day was the phone with EJ. 

Shouldn't Stephanie be looking or concerned for her brother?

I forgot Sarah was Holly's aunt until Sarah pointed it out. 

EJ has innocent Xander and Tate in jail, possibly innocent Gabi. He's the same as Melinda. Always arresting the wrong ones. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, boes said:

The scenes today - the many, many, apparently endless scenes today - of Paulina bearing up so bravely, of her family bearing up so bravely, of Abe bearing up so bravely, touched me. 

All I could think was KNOCK IT OFF WITH THE GASP TALKING!  That was one of the WORST acting choices I've ever seen.

• Like 3
  • Applause 5
11 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

All I could think was KNOCK IT OFF WITH THE GASP TALKING!  That was one of the WORST acting choices I've ever seen.

If she took off that tight necklace which is pressing on her dodgy thyroid maybe she could get her words out

• Applause 1
  • LOL 8
(edited)

Boy, is self-flagellation in today!

No, Nicole - being upset over losing a baby you barely were able to carry to term is *not* you being selfish or neglectful. Leaving Holly alone on her birthday? Yes, definitely, but otherwise you're not even close to worst parent in Salem.

And Gwenresa - Brady is a filthy rich slacker who had total access to his son his entire childhood and chose to stay away and busy himself with getting laid and general self-loathing.

I did like them revisiting the beat of Theresa's side of the custody battle, but isn't it interesting how they carefully omitted most of the context: that Theresa had left town to prevent Brady and Tate from being targeted, how she returned to find out her (increasingly unstable) sister Eve had not only bedded Brady but intended to marry him after only a few brief months, and that they were both dead-set on keeping Theresa at a distance and vilifying her.

I imagine Tate had a terrific childhood in LA, more or less, with Caroline, Kim, Shane and possibly Andrew around. Plenty of money to pay for school, activities and essentials. If he'd stayed with Brady, Kristen only would have gotten her hands on him again in about five seconds since he was always involved with her in some way.

So...can we PLEASE stop trying to make Theresa out to be the worst? Please?

Sigh.

It was nice to finally see the inside of Black Patch (and was that the first time we saw the exterior of the hospital?) but the whole backstory about K's daughter felt...weird? Maybe it was SN's performance, but it felt like Steve was maybe telling K what he wanted to hear just to get him off his back...until he got to the John part.

Seriously Steve...why tell him that stuff? Especially since it sounds like K maybe arranged for Tripp to be kidnapped? I don't get it. You already know he's messing with Maggie (and Victoria, and Sarah, and now Doug and Julie are under the same roof too with the young kids) so...what's the deal? Did you expect that awful story to make him feel better and back off? Hardly.

Interesting juxtaposition of John being absolutely the best Dad/Grandpa ever, with the story of him shooting K's daughter dead. I assume there is some technicality that will absolve John, but still...

Drake is really quite lovable.

Why did Nicole hesitate to tell Holly she was out for two months? She's talking, walking and apparently freshly showered...not at all fragile. And two months isn't a big deal. Why were they dramatizing it? Silly.

Stefan is hilariously inept. It took him forever to move in on Harris, and he still got his ass handed to him. How did he seriously deliver the lines "how did you survive those bullets?" with a straight face, given his own medical history?

Anyway, I think Harris should have called for backup and sent his ass to jail. Hospital security might also have nabbed Corrupt Cop lady too if he had (that was my first time seeing her).

I'm enjoying Nicole more than ever now, and forgiving her lack of maternal bond with the Holly actress because, as we know now, Ari had a ton of stressful things going on during the period when Holly first appeared.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

Oddly how?

I'll admit she still hasn't made the "mother" role feel real, but there's often weird dialogue to navigate. "My daughter" this and "my sweet child" that. They've been doing it since Holly was born, but it sounds so...formal coming from Nicole.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Everything about her is so odd. Her voice, her manner. It's like stilted or something.

I think she's not used to playing a mom of a teen daughter(which is funny since she has a teen daughter in RL) but onscreen how often did we see Nicole/Holly together? They quickly SORASed her overnight and are trying to create this insta mother/daughter bond that we didn't see happen.

Unlike Tate where I find it far more organic given the different relationships he has with his parents.

• Like 5
  • Love 2
(edited)

I really don't care about Konstantine and his justice. Can Pawn kill him? 

Steve telling on John like that is unlike Steve.  

EJ and Holly can't clearly see  Holly lying through her teeth?  You have failed Nicole.  Brady and Theresa have a better kid. 

Harris better tell Rafe that Stefan shot him. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Like 4
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I think she's not used to playing a mom of a teen daughter(which is funny since she has a teen daughter in RL) but onscreen how often did we see Nicole/Holly together? They quickly SORASed her overnight and are trying to create this insta mother/daughter bond that we didn't see happen.

Unlike Tate where I find it far more organic given the different relationships he has with his parents.

I still think Tate should love his Mom to the moon and back, but that would interfere with Theresa suddenly being awful in every conceivable way.

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
8 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

So...can we PLEASE stop trying to make Theresa out to be the worst? Please?

Sigh.

Yes show, we get it.  Brady is not only the greatest, most devoted dad that ever lived but also an absolutely spectacular human being.  Theresa, however is MAYBE 2 steps above pond scum.  Of course, we have SEEN Brady pretty much neglect Tate all these years so he could horn dog after psychopathic Kristen while Theresa just lived her life and raised Tate, but that still doesn't change the fact that he's still just the greatest and she sucks, right?

8 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Seriously Steve...why tell him that stuff? Especially since it sounds like K maybe arranged for Tripp to be kidnapped? I don't get it. You already know he's messing with Maggie (and Victoria, and Sarah, and now Doug and Julie are under the same roof too with the young kids) so...what's the deal? Did you expect that awful story to make him feel better and back off? Hardly.

Every single beat of that whole interaction felt just incredibly wrong.  Steve would NEVER step away from trying to find his son to go down memory lane with a slime ball - all the while selling out his friend.

Nope, *closes eyes and sticks fingers in ears* that scene never happened.

2 hours ago, Artsda said:

EJ and Holly can't clearly see  Holly lying through her teeth? 

That was EXACTLY my impression.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
14 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I still think Tate should love his Mom to the moon and back, but that would interfere with Theresa suddenly being awful in every conceivable way.

I personally find Theresa being awful in every way but I do find it a bit odd that he's not as protective over her as I thought he would be.  My point is at least with Tate they have something to draw from unlike Holly where they're just slopping it together and it doesn't work.

13 hours ago, brisbydog said:

https://thepopbreak.com/2024/03/01/alans-soap-box-top-10-worst-couples-2024-edition/

Days "winner" exerpt

10. Tripp & Wendy, Days

Do you know damn boring you have to be that being kidnapped isn’t even interesting? Wendy and Tripp’s lives are in danger and I feel nothing. They could live and that would be fine with me. They could die and it would be fine.

I think they have a place on this show but they need to switch airtime with Johnny/Chanel. 

• Like 4
(edited)

Johnny/Chanel are the same as Wendy/Tripp imo. Both ships are perfectly fine, there's certainly nothing offensive about them, and they have chem, it's just that I don't really give a shit about them lol.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
On 3/1/2024 at 5:33 PM, peachmangosteen said:

AZ is playing Nicole so oddly right now and it's really annoying but I'm trying to not be too harsh due to the real life circumstances. Still, it's annoying lol.

I picked up on this, too.  It's like she's being redeemed, but we're not really sure what for. Her face looks very different to me, but then I realized she had a baby last year, so the fullness may be attributed to that. Do we have any update on if AZ is done with DOOL?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Johnny/Chanel are the same as Wendy/Tripp imo. Both ships are perfectly fine, there's certainly nothing offensive about them, and they have chem, it's just that I don't really give a shit about them lol.

So I guess what we're saying is average or "normal" doesn't work for us.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
2 hours ago, salvame said:

I picked up on this, too.  It's like she's being redeemed, but we're not really sure what for. Her face looks very different to me, but then I realized she had a baby last year, so the fullness may be attributed to that. Do we have any update on if AZ is done with DOOL?

Nicole had a baby. Ari didn't 

• Like 4

Without judgment, I did notice Ari was developing some signs of aging in recent years. Now, those seem to be gone, so I'm guessing fillers..? Plus her hair suddenly got fuller and longer too at one point during the pregnancy SL.

In general, though, it has to be galling to be an actress and deal with the "upkeep" that implies and still deal with harassment at work.

Or in her case, just plain getting fired. They offered more money for fewer episodes in the wake of her needing a lawyer to even get back on set after being written out.

Yeah, at this point the bridge is burned. She went public, filed a huge lawsuit and is calling them out. Unless the court case gets settled quickly and Corday makes changes and apologies, I really doubt Nicole will ever be Ari again :(

• Like 2
  • Sad 5
  • Useful 1

Does anyone else see a problem with a wooden box shoved up a chimney for sixty years emerging unscathed?  I have watched the show for decades and I have no memory of Alice screaming "don't light a fire!".  

• LOL 13
On 3/1/2024 at 12:43 AM, DaphneCat said:

She’s horrible! How did she ever get cast in this role? She ruins the whole vibe of the scene.

• Like 3
  • Applause 4

Was Ali ever Anti-EJ? I can't remember. (God, she was a lame character as an adult.)

I mean she knew him roughly until the age of...10? That's before he was shot. Then she spent years wandering the globe with Mommy Sami as she desperately tried to find out whether he was alive, and then after the warehouse story, traveling with him and trying to bring him back to life...

...honestly, its not like they could have bonded too much.

• Like 2
  • Useful 4
On 2/29/2024 at 9:43 PM, DaphneCat said:

I know Paulina isn’t everyone’s favorite, but I have to say, what she’s doing with her voice is hard for me.  It reminds me too much of the last week my mom was alive last summer.  

• Hugs 12
  • Sad 2

If the scenes are triggering you or bringing stuff up, definitely skip them. I've done the same. Skipped almost all of the "we know they'll be fine" Kayla/Kate/Marlena dying stuff. No reason to suffer through it.

• Like 9

Why is Julie being all chummy with BobEverett?!  I thought it was interesting she commented on how he looked like her cousin, Nick.  Maybe BobEverett wants whats in the box?  And wow, did BobEverett make a suspicious face at the end, after Julie had left the house.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, BuckeyeLou said:

And wow, did BobEverett make a suspicious face at the end, after Julie had left the house.

I had been really believing him but yea that wasn't subtle lol. I am so intrigued by this story. I'm sure it'll end up shit but still lol.

I am intrigued by the Horton time capsule story, too. Would be interesting if it gets woven into the Bobverett story.

• Like 7
  • Love 2
On 3/1/2024 at 3:05 PM, DisneyBoy said:

It gave me weird hypnotism vibes, but maybe I'm overthinking it.

• Like 4

Why is Rafe letting Ava run free? No matter her reason she still aiding Clyde. 

So tired of everything being about Paulina.  Does Marlena even know her grandson got married in that room?  

Why is Harris not saying it's Stefan? 

Oh shocking they found out the cop is dirty and Rafe now realizes there more to Xander being the shooter. 

Maybe the Horton family story Julie should have told Everett is the one about Abby's DID.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

I know Paulina isn’t everyone’s favorite, but I have to say, what she’s doing with her voice is hard for me.  It reminds me too much of the last week my mom was alive last summer.  

I'm really sorry for your loss. It's never an easy timbre to listen to.

• Like 4
  • Love 3
(edited)

Glad Paulina is making out her last will and testament.  Seems only fitting since she's killing the show.

Now, onto Everett aka Bobby looks-like-Nick.  It could be a red herring, but Everett is already entwined with the Hortons, or at least with Julie and I'm wondering if maybe, just maybe, he's a long-lost grandson of Tommy Horton's.

This is twice now that we've heard Tommy Horton's story and just the other day, when Roman learned of the fire, he mentioned how he and Sandy Horton, Tommy's daughter, played together as kids in the Horton house.  That's a lot of mentions of two long gone characters in a short time.

Tommy is mostly before my time and my memories of Sandy are spotty at best, but from what I could find online, the Sandy character has been gone from Salem since 1984, and she bore some sort of grudge agains the rest of the Horton family for how they treated her mother, Kitty.  Maybe, after she left Salem she married and had Everett/Bobby?  Told him enough to have him also resent the family he never knew?  Add a dash of DID or brainwashing and presto!, you've got a guy with two personalities and a tendency to play with fire, with enough of an interest in the Hortons and a resemblance to Nick to make his way into Julie's heart.

Does anyone remember if Tommy Horton or Sandy Horton were mentioned when Alice died?

Edited by boes
  • Like 1
  • Useful 5
  • LOL 1
14 hours ago, oceanblue said:

Does anyone else see a problem with a wooden box shoved up a chimney for sixty years emerging unscathed?  I have watched the show for decades and I have no memory of Alice screaming "don't light a fire!".  

Well, if a chair can BE IN THE MIDDLE OF A FIRE, get knocked over, and not even have dust or soot on it a box should be fine.  Actually, I would guess as long as neither flame nor sparks touched it, it would probably be OK - it's not like the fires would be so intense they would melt it.

1 hour ago, boes said:

Glad Paulina is making out her last will and testament.  Seems only fitting since she's killing the show.

Now, onto Everett aka Bobby looks-like-Nick.  It could be a red herring, but Everett is already entwined with the Hortons, or at least with Julie and I'm wondering if maybe, just maybe, he's a long-lost grandson of Tommy Horton's.

This is twice now that we've heard Tommy Horton's story and just the other day, when Roman learned of the fire, he mentioned how he and Sandy Horton, Tommy's daughter, played together as kids in the Horton house.  That's a lot of mentions of two long gone characters in a short time.

Tommy is mostly before my time and my memories of Sandy are spotty at best, but from what I could find online, the Sandy character has been gone from Salem in 1984, and she bore some sort of grudge agains the rest of the Horton family for how they treated her mother, Kitty.  Maybe, after she left Salem she married and had Everett/Bobby?  Told him enough to have also resent the family he never knew?  Add a dash of DID or brainwashing and presto!, you've got a guy with two personalities and a tendency to play with fire, and enough of an interest in the Hortons, and a resemblance to Nick to make his way into Julie's heart.

Does anyone remember if Tommy Horton or Sandy Horton were mentioned when Alice died?

Boes, this is a GREAT theory.  I can't imagine the old writers actually putting that much thought into any of their plotlines, but maybe the scabs did?

• Like 3
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Artsda said:

Why is Harris not saying it's Stefan? 

I guess because he wants Stefan to be like a double agent for him or whatever. Which is what they were already doing with Ava.

I kinda enjoyed the drug storyline at first but it's time to end it lol.

• Like 6
12 hours ago, boes said:

I don't remember Sandy being mentioned,  but Tommy is dead. Marie is the only living Horton child. We last saw her when Alice died. 

Would love to see more Hortons through this story. Bring Marie and Jessica back. Melissa, Mike, Nathan, Jeremy, Scotty, Eli, etc. I've always said Lucas should be cemented as the Horton "patriarch". 

• Like 5
  • Useful 3

Stefan never met Stefano so using this family card and Stefano is eye rolling.  EJ is letting the drug dealing cop killer go but the innocent teen in jail he goes after?

Zzzz Wendy and Tripp are such a bore. She's sucking up all the air, let her die. 

I can't take the Ava excuses that she isn't responsible or not her fault. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

EJ is a magnificent jerk, but today I loved him. Yes Stefan should pay the price for his idiocy. I'm appalled though that he handed over everything and did not negotiate Gabi getting out on bail and going on the run with him? Moron. 

Best line of the day (after Stefan tells him he shot a cop and now said cop and Clyde are after him): "That sounds like a you problem"

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

All I could think when Kate and Roman went to visit Lucas was "WHY do women who are trying to be inconspicuous on this show always wear the biggest, MOST attention grabbing hats (like Abby skulking around in her giant black number)?"  That is a really stupid "disguise" guaranteed to draw attention to yourself.  Wear a head scarf or grey wig and fugly clothes for god's sake.  I guarantee no one would look twice at you.

2 hours ago, Artsda said:

Zzzz Wendy and Tripp are such a bore. She's sucking up all the air, let her die. 

Yep, Tripp is probably hoping that if she goes first at least he'll get a few minutes of blessed silence.    

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
(edited)

EJ is a hypocritical asshole but DF can be so fun. I loved all his sound effects and his delivery on the 'that sounds like a you problem' line.

I fast forward the Wendy/Tripp stuff. This has gone on way too long. I didn't even care in the first place and I certainly don't now that we've had to watch multiple days of them talking in that silo or whatever. 

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

EJ is a hypocritical asshole but DF can be so fun. I loved all his sound effects and his delivery on the 'that sounds like a you problem' line.

I fast forward the Wendy/Tripp stuff. This has gone on way too long. I didn't even care in the first place and I certainly don't now that we've had to watch multiple days of them talking in that silo or whatever. 

I don't know anybody who is watching Wendy and Tripp except poor people who have been assigned that day to recap. The internet consensus on all boards is that they are dull and need to be skipped

And their scenes are soooo long omg

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

Highlight of the show outside of seeing Lucas was Ava and her ex-boyfriends (John/Steve) working together. More of that please. 

• Like 6

I enjoy the scenes of family working together.  The scenes with Julie, Roman, Chad & Stephanie were fun to watch as they reminisced & Julie found an old record album of Doug's.   I thought Nicole & Brady's scenes were realistic, they each want to protect their child.  Nicole's yellow dress was 'interesting" & waaay too short.  BobEverett is acting really 'squirrly"...I find him very suspicious!

• Like 3
  • Love 4

Which makes it super clever for Kate to show up in a big pinwheel hat.  She sure won't stick out in a monastery!

I've watched this show on and off since toddlerhood (my gram got my started) and I cannot ever remember any local location shots.  Do they really think we won't know they are at the silo?  or at the hospital?  it's freaking me out.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Instead of Stephanie forced with Chad again, why wasn't Sarah at the house helping?  Eli? Lani? All Hortons in town. 

Yesterday fake trips of Tripp and Wendy. Today fake Six Flags of Chad and Stephanie.  

Everett probably had a bad relationship with his father.

I hope Nicole and EJ and Holly too have to pay what they have done to Tate.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

I saw only the beginning of the episode, and honestly, I don't care about the Everett mystery. Not one bit. Marlena's jacket was nice though.

Julie's outfit and earrings were fun. Not what I'd expect her to wear after all her clothes were burned, I assume. A touch too upbeat.

It's so silly that the time capsule - fun idea by the way - was stored in the chimney instead of in a wall of the house or something. I mean, they had the place burned, right? So the writers could have had it fall out of anywhere! A wall! The ceiling! From underneath the floorboards of the stairs!

Why the chimney, which we know has been used before during the last couple of decades!?

It's like the try to find the least logical explanation sometimes...

Brady and Nicole arguing about their kids in the Square gave me flashbacks to when the two of them were on the run in Canada, promising to make a happy family of themselves, with Tate and Holly as siblings. Weird how many kids raised a siblings end up dating or involved on this show.

I still don't see how Tate could be charged with anything regarding Holly's overdose, since there was apparently zero evidence to suggest he gave her the drugs. He's gotten the weirdest sentence considering no crime was committed.

How did things end today?

1 hour ago, oceanblue said:

Which makes it super clever for Kate to show up in a big pinwheel hat.  She sure won't stick out in a monastery!

Aww dang, I wish I'd seen that. Funny stuff!

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Artsda said:

Everett probably had a bad relationship with his father.

When Marlena asked Everet/Bobby about his father, I started to wonder if maybe his father is Clyde.   Farfetched, I suppose, but it's Day's after all.

• Like 4
  • Useful 4
5 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I still don't see how Tate could be charged with anything regarding Holly's overdose, since there was apparently zero evidence to suggest he gave her the drugs. He's gotten the weirdest sentence considering no crime was committed.

How did things end today?

Agree. Holly admitted Tate did NOT give her the drugs; however, she refuses to say that she brought them to the party.

I'm hoping that when they nail the crooked cop, she confesses to everything including her part in wrongfully arresting Tate.

• Like 3
  • Love 2