Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion II: Discussing Today's Episode and Current Storylines

• Start Topic

We decided it's time for a new current discussion thread to commemorate the show's move to Peacock.  The previous thread will close next Wednesday to give you time to transfer your discussions over here.  

Old Thread

Here are the rules of this thread:

• New episodes are set to be released at 6 a.m. Eastern time on Peacock.  Discussion of the current day's US episode can begin at that time.  
    • Do NOT use spoiler tags to discuss the current episode. 
    • Those who wish to be unspoiled until they watch should avoid this thread from 6 a.m. until they can watch. 
  • Spoilers and spoiler discussion for future episodes belong in the two spoiler threads.
  • The digital series thread will remain to discuss previous digital series and any special event series that may be ordered. Do not discuss the daily episodes there or discuss any special series in here. 

If you have any questions, feel free to ask quote and ask in the comments or send a PM. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, SouthernChick said:

Am I the only one who can’t stand Gabi and don’t care about her and Stefan? Seriously, Gabi talking to Stefan in the crypt did nothing for me. 

I feel like Ron really wants her to be a young  Dorian Lord with twinges of Erica Kane. 

• Love 1

Gabi had quite a few good years of grounded in reality before the painted-on outfits and corporate scheming.

I think that's why I want good things for her still. She's not just "hyper femme fatale schemer" to me, the way she probably is to viewers just meeting her.

(Not referring to you specifically, Canary)

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5
On 9/10/2022 at 12:34 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I feel like Ron really wants her to be a young  Dorian Lord with twinges of Erica Kane. 

As someone who loved both characters, if that's Ron's intentions, then he's failing miserably. 

18 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Gabi had quite a few good years of grounded in reality before the painted-on outfits and corporate scheming.

9 hours ago, Lucas Rowan said:

Her "grounded in reality" period was only durin the ten months in which Gabriela Rodriguez played her.

After Camila Banus came on, things went wacky with Gabi.

I mostly disagree with @Lucas Rowan comment. I think there are several characters that encourage the writers to take the Gabi writing in more outlandish fashions. Chad (both versions), MM's Abby, and Melanie seem to bring out the absolute worst and more cartoonish machinations of the Gabi character. However, CB's Gabi had a pretty grounded rivalry with Sonny, and the Julie rivalry didn't become outlandish until that weird Pacemaker storyline. Gabi's romances with Will, Nick, and JJ were mostly grounded. I can't remember the romance with Eli, but I remember them being together. 

Before the rivalry with MM's Abby, it seemed the characterization of Gabi was mostly a good person who got in over-her-head situations that had disastrous consequences. The Daysaster, the multiple Nick killings, the events surrounding Arianna Grace's birth.

Also, I think the show had a harder time characterizing the GR version of Gabi. I remember that brief period the show turned her into some mini villain - I believe for Chad. Again, Chad brings out the worst in Gabi regardless of the actor/actress playing the characters.

I also think Gabi has been harmed in the sense that her introductory teen cast is mostly gone (Will and Mia) or merged with the then young 20s cast like Abby and Melanie, who Gabi is destined to lose to. The loss of Arianna was also detrimental to Gabi.

Unlike Chloe who had limited anchors on the show when her teen cast mostly wasn't on canvas (Belle, Shawn and Mimi) or moved on to the new ingenue (Philip with Stephanie and Melanie), the show repositioned Chloe with Nicole, Carly, Maggie, and new rivalries with Victor, Vivian and Kate. Danloe and Phloe also had their success. Gabi hasn't been as fortunate as she mostly just feuds with the women on canvas and, outside of Stefan, has struggled with building a popular romance. They've also stuck her in this dead-end Dimera storyline.

I hope a resurrected Stefan will at least address the romance aspect for Gabi, but she'll still struggle in other aspects as Sonny is her only friend on canvas and the Rafe/Gabi sibling relationship never got the sibling love as a Jennifer/Hope (I know they're cousins), Belle/Brady, Austin/Billie, or even a Brady/Eric.

I also hope CB brings back the in-over-her-head aspect of the character and she's is entirely removed from the Dimera corner of the show. She and Stefan can build an Alamain corner, which would be vastly more interesting to me.

Edited by 4evaQuez
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5

So I just finished the 1st new episode of Peacock Days.

The Li actor is truly terrible. I'm talking 2nd Belle levels of terrible. 

So far, this Stephanie is a huge fail. She still doesn't have a base of peer anchor characters, so she's having awkward and inappropriate conversations with Paulina about relationships.

Chanel definitely seems like she wants to take Alex up on his threesome offer.

Stefan's tombstone says 2019. Jake's tombstone says 2022. That's 3 years, but the show keeps referencing the time jump with 4 years. They think we can't do basic math.

Ava has had to have one of the strangest trajectories in Days' history. She went from killing Shawn Brady Sr. and kidnapping Hope Williams Brady to crying about healing after jumping Johnny's bones. That being said, I did like her roar and scratch at E.J. after the cougar line.

The E.J. actor isn't terrible, but he always makes the worst possible decision in a scene possible. The scream at Ava was embarrassing.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I purchased the $19.99/yr Peacock subscription Saturday morning, watched Beyond Salem 2 this weekend, and watched today's Days at 6:10 AM. My biggest takeaway? The closed captioning scrolls, like it did on NBC (Y&R/B&B scroll also; GH does not), and I am very happy about it. It's the little things!

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Felt very strange watching the current episode at 8 o’clock in the morning! I have to say if they don’t give the old-timers more airtime this year I’m probably not going to renew for more than twice the cost next year. Are we supposed to be seeing Hope & Bo now? Because I’ve been reading a lot of confusing stories.

• Love 3

Is EJ a dick just for the sake of being a dick?

Is Stephanie an employee of Titan, or a contractor?

Interesting multi-colored fingernails, Gabi.

Is that Abe's place or Paulina's place, or are they living together? That porthole in the inner door was on another set, I think in the Digital Series, where Hope was living.

I wonder if Show will ever connect Alex with Jack.  They are step brothers.

Roman is Johnny's grandfather, he could get a room at the pub. Or he could move into Jarlena's massive penthouse.

For all that sucking Alex is doing on that ice cream cone, it doesn't seem to be getting any smaller.

If Stefan's alive, that means that Gabi no longer controls his shares.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, AManfred said:

I purchased the $19.99/yr Peacock subscription Saturday morning, watched Beyond Salem 2 this weekend, and watched today's Days at 6:10 AM. My biggest takeaway? The closed captioning scrolls, like it did on NBC (Y&R/B&B scroll also; GH does not), and I am very happy about it. It's the little things!

• Love 1

I’m up to the Sept. 7th episode on Global and good thing I finished watching over the weekend, because the Global/W app episodes now only go up to August 24.

Curious to see if we get the Sept. 8 and today’s ep tomorrow. If there’s more than a day’s delay, it won’t be as much fun coming here. 😔

• Love 1
9 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

Stefan's tombstone says 2019. Jake's tombstone says 2022. That's 3 years, but the show keeps referencing the time jump with 4 years. They think we can't do basic math.

I feel like some people BTS (writers, editors, props, etc.) remember there was a time jump and some don’t lol.

I love the Li actor so much. His ‘Oh my God’ when he saw Stefan was so damn hilarious.

I don’t mind Stephanie. Maybe it helps that I fast forward all her scenes with Alex lol.

I loved everything with Johnny, Ava, and EJ.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

New station means new weird commercial breaks.

What was that magical ice cream that Alex was licking? I know some shows used mashed potatoes to disguise the ice cream so it doesn't melt. No mess, no sticky hands, no nothing. Why is he looking for love advice from two twentysomethings? Build up to a romance. Just like Jada finding a dude a week after she moves to town. What is the rush?

Paulina could not have called up her daughter to cancel the 1000 or 10,000 cookie order? That's a lot of cookies and a lot of money to change Abe to Paulina. Maybe they can give them away.

I don't think either Johnny or Ava are using each other.

It was funny when Li came in to see Stefan and pretended to be shocked by him.

Poor Gabi and poor us wondering about the time change being 4 years but the memorial plaques in the crypt being three. He's wearing Stefan's suit, hates Gabi, sees her engagement ring. At least now she can back up Ava's claim of not hallucinating a dead guy.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3

That's exactly why I paid twenty bucks to tune in to watch. John and Marlena being "horny."

Next, I guess we'll see Julie posing in a teddy bear for Doug.

Edited by Sidney
  • Hugs 1
  • LOL 10

Even poor Rafe has to dream about Eric and Nicole. And she goes on about hiring him as a photographer. No one else in Salem? New character?

Eric made Jada scrambled eggs? Hope she continues to ask him about being a former priest.

Kate, Marlena, and Kayla sneeze and then faint? Wouldn't their immune systems be a little different? I can see one fainting at one point, another maybe several hours later, etc.

Roman, maybe celebrate your half birthday.

All that time on the bomb and it wasn't real. 

• Like 3
  • Love 4

How long do you guys think it'll take Roman, John and Steve to figure out how to "cure" Marlena, Kate and Kayla?  Would be interesting if Steve, John and Roman held ROLF captive until he finds a cure....Just saying...

50 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Kate, Marlena, and Kayla sneeze and then faint? Wouldn't their immune systems be a little different? I can see one fainting at one point, another maybe several hours later, etc. 

Kind of looked like to me that the ladies all fainted/got sick within about an hour of eachother?  Did they ALL complain of sneezing, fainting and fever?

Edited by BluegrassDCCFan
added something
  • Love 2

It was odd to me that the picture display on Peacock for the Show was of Ben and Ciara.  It wasn't that before the switch, and those characters aren't on anymore.

I kinda loved that Ava and Johnny didn't indulge in Sexy-Times but they seemed to establish a closer bond with each other, and then moved out together.  

I love EJ being absolutely frustrated with everything in his life right now, and DF's acting choices make it all the more delicious for me.

Stephanie explaining to Alex that his Cave Man tactics aren't attractive is fun but it's so obvious she's going to soften her opinion of him.

These silly plots with Orpheus could actually be interesting if They did some character work in the midst of them.  But No, it's just Orpheus twirling his mustache until they all figure out how to save the Damsels In Distress.  

Galen Gering is basically an Underwear Model.  Why is he wearing a t-shirt when better actors have to do awkward shirtless scenes?

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

What is it they say, "you don't know what you've got, till it's gone".  That's how I feel about Days.  Still can't believe it's no longer on regular TV.  I did manage to find yesterday's episode online, but the "commercial" breaks were painful, and then the whole thing froze on me, so I gave up.  🙁

Edited by buffynut
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 6

I thought Sarah looked really nice in her scene with Xander.

Sarah should have more complicated feelings regarding Ericole considering her own history with Eric/Nicole/Mickey/ and Rachel. I'm also confused why Sarah is so appalled at Xander and Nicole. Sleeping with a married woman and the destruction of the marriage isn't even in the top 25 of the worst things Xander's done. Hell, he's done more evil things to Sarah and Maggie. It seems odd that's the straw that breaks the camel's back. While I really liked Sarah saying she isn't Xander's conscience, I hated that she negated that great line by apologizing on Xander's behalf. Lastly, for a Horton/Kiriakis marriage, these characters feel grossly isolated from the rest of the cast, especially their contemporaries. I hope the show revisits Xanders rivalries with Brady and Eric and build a Sarah/Stephanie friendship. Sarah/Chad/Stephanie/Alex/Gwen/Xander could potentially be a strong core base.

I really like the writing and characterization that Nicole is getting right now. I also like the refocusing on the Nicole/Chloe friendship. Nicole/Ava was a terrible replacement. 

I like Rafe/Jada as partners.

• Like 2
  • Love 7

Sarah looked ridiculous today. She forgave  Xander for murder, kidnapping, shooting Marlena, blackmailing Nicole into marriage, keeping Nicole in a cage, and switching Sarah’s dead baby with Kristen’s. Yet THIS isn’t the thing she can’t get passed? Telling Eric about his ONS with Nicole? 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, SouthernChick said:

Sarah looked ridiculous today. She forgave  Xander for murder, kidnapping, shooting Marlena, blackmailing Nicole into marriage, keeping Nicole in a cage, and switching Sarah’s dead baby with Kristen’s. Yet THIS isn’t the thing she can’t get passed? Telling Eric about his ONS with Nicole? 

I agree its stupid and manufactured drama unless this is leading to Eric/Sarah her reaction was contrived. Unless its her feeling guilty over keeping Mickey from Eric in the first place and here's Xander to pile on Eric some more.

• Like 2
  • Love 6

Good to know this show is still crap, even airing on a different platform.

Agreed about Sarah. I usually like her, but after EVERYTHING ELSE she forgave Xander for, THIS is her line in the sand? Ridiculous.

And sorry, Eric is just so...dull. I don't get the outrage on his behalf, anyway.

Shrug.

• Like 4
  • Love 5

I didn't get Sarah's over the top reaction to Xander admitting his drunken, ill-conceived one night thing with Nicole. He has done far, far worse. He didn't know that she was alive and kept captive on that stupid island. Yeah, he did some of his usual crappy thing, but he had his own idea of motivation - mainly desperate for cash since he didn't have any.

Nicole came across well with Eric today. A very adult and mature conversation with Sarah. 

Poor Jada is going to be upset that Nicole did indeed offer Eric a job at Basic Black.

So Orpheus has this grand production number of a plan. The ladies will die from sneezing? I get a sinus thing each fall and allergies.

How convenient that Rafe figured out the printing company so quickly.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

"...and hopefully we learned from our mistakes.  Yeah, hopefully". I thought that was a hilarious theme for an episode which includes Sarah having another meltdown over Xander's treachery, Orpheus being arrested as he takes another swing at being a Dastardly Villain, and Nicole on a collision course with the destruction of another marriage.  

I'm going to have to go with Orpheus being so heartbroken over the death of his wife that he actually needs these silly plots to keep her alive in his heart.  It doesn't make it that much more fun to watch but it does kinda-sorta add a tragic element to it.  

14 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

While I really liked Sarah saying she isn't Xander's conscience

Agreed.

14 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

I hated that she negated that great line by apologizing on Xander's behalf.

But isn't it funny how the human mind is plagued by these kinds of contradictions?  It's not even just Soap Opera Characters who are driven by the next dramatic scene, as I observe this phenomenon in my every day life, too.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

I also love, loved, loved Sarah's line about her not being Xander's conscience. It's one of the things I take issue with when people talk about Xander reforming because he hasn't really. Yeah, he loves Sarah and Maggie, and will be on his best behavior for them, but it's not organic. Deep down - not even that deep - he's still the same scuzzbucket. He just tamps down on those impulses because he knows he needs to to keep Sarah. That's why I kind of laughed when during her vows Sarah claimed she knew the real Xander. And, it is funny, because a little while ago, I wondered how the show would have Sarah forgive Xander if she ever found out he attempted to kill Sami and Lucas while she was gone. I think her reaction today would have made a little more sense if that had been what Xander confessed. But, it would probably be harder for her to eventually cave and forgive that. As someone who hates the pairing, I'd love to believe Sarah's eyes are open, but I doubt this breakup will last. Though it might be interesting if it does last a little longer than I suspect and Xander ends up caught between Sarah - someone who wants, and expects him to be better - and Gwen (who might be morally bankrupt but it makes her his perfect match) who doesn't want him to change.

Another line I loved was her telling Xander he has no room to judge Eric. Despite being one of the shadiest characters, Xander is shockingly judgmental of people he definitely has no business looking down on.

I thought the scene between Eric, Nicole, and Sarah was a bit awkward. It was weird it felt like there was no real acknowledgment of the three characters own complicated history and I thought Sarah should probably have made herself scarce when Eric and Nicole basically had a therapy session right in front of her. 

My God, doesn't Orpheus ever get tired of being a 10th rate Bond villain? As he droned on and on and on and on all I could of was what a narcissist he is and how much he clearly likes the sound of his own voice.

I generally like Kate & Roman together and I get that she's sick, but I thought it was out of character for Kate to be sitting there all "Oh, Roman, my big strong man, you'll save me." She's not usually that passive.

• Applause 1
  • Love 4

Wow what manufactured drama for Sarah and Xander. And utterly stupid because:

a) he literally said in his vows last week he went back to his old ways while she was gone - if she wanted the deets that was the time to ask him, not suddenly start badgering him about who he slept with the day after the wedding

b) Eric was the one who told her to forgive him so clearly he does not blame Xander for tanking his marriage.

c) He set Nicole and Eric on fire, shot Marlena, kept Nicole in a cage, swapped her baby with Kristen's, knew Kristen was going to steal her embryo and tanking Nicole's marriage is the deal breaker? Really?

I hate Gwen too but I did enjoy the fact that she and Xander would giggle about things like Doug locking Julie in the freezer because they are both dreadful people and they know it. 

I would love to see Xander and Chanel together for reals.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 9/12/2022 at 9:20 AM, 4evaQuez said:

They think we can't do basic math.

Or maybe they can’t. 

21 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Good to know this show is still crap, even airing on a different platform.

I think this tells me everything I need to know. Thanks!

• LOL 5

EJ has great reactions to Gabi seeing her dead husband also.  The now there's 2 of them seeing dead people line was hilarious. 

This is the most ridiculous custody case, so Kristen can bring up everything but nobody can bring up anything about her? None of her psycho? Let's call Chad or Tony on stand so they can talk about her holding Sarah and Abby on the island. Put Sarah on there. 

• Like 5

I'm not a lawyer, so I wasn't sure why Belle thought Chloe would be so damning to the case. I thought Belle's question effectively shutdown Kristen's entire case - Nicole and Chloe are best friends, and Chloe helps care for Holly. Hell, Belle could have gone farther and informed the judge that Nicole left custody of Holly to Chloe when she "died" instead of Nicole's presumably still alive siblings. Any harm Chloe may have caused - which was to keep Holly from an abusive Deimos - was obviously settled. Also, I wasn't certain why Chloe was the one on trial for Kristen. As Belle said, Chloe isn't an official caregiver to Rachel. Hell, Brady wasn't even on Chloe's side during this storyline. He and Nicole kidnapped Holly from Chloe. I really didn't understand Kristen's plan here.

Furthermore, from my memory, Chloe had legal custody of Holly at the time of the Nicole/Chloe/Holly/Deimos storyline. I vaguely remember an Eric/Chloe scene where he convinces Chloe to give up legal custody of Holly to Nicole. So Chloe never "stole" Holly from Nicole since Chloe had legal custody.

I don't think we need EJ and Stefan on the show. They fill the same Dimera niche. As of right now, Stefan actually seems better connected to canvas and has more potential. Ship EJ to wherever Sami is.

I find Chanel outright strange.

I like Allie.

Johnny/Ava is the most I've ever liked Ava or Johnny. I wish Johnny had moved to the pub. For some reason, I really wanna see Eric have a strong relationship with one of his nieces/nephews, but the show is just not interested in building that relationship with Eric/Sami's offspring.

• Love 7

None of Kristen's past pre-pardon can be brought up? That hardly seems fair. Chloe hasn't really done anything wrong, and although Brady may be a recovering addict, he has been a better parent. Chloe's past should be irrelevant unless she has caused harm to a child. Just a dumb plot.

So EJ is now hearing that multiple people are seeing dead people.

He had no reason to go to the Salem Inn to fetch Johnny. Granted, who is paying for the hotel room? Johnny can stay at the pub, even if it is sleeping in Eric's room and on the floor.

Chanel and Allie are fighting over Johnny and Ava? Who cares what they do? I agree that Chanel is coming across as a little strange.

• Love 4

I skipped large portions of today's show, mainly everything Kristen and that beyond stupid custody hearing.  Brady may be a class A cooked ham and Chloe may be a reject from the Stepford Wives, but watching any judge give Kristen the time of day, much less actually letting her put forward a case for custody is too stupid to waste time with.

Allie getting jealous - again - of Johnnie because of Chanel is hardly any better.  I'd be more interested in an Allie storyline if she choked on her own bile and self-satisfaction.  That, I'd watch.

And Peacock wants me to PAY for this bullshit???????????

Edited by boes
  • Like 2
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1