Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I got Fj.  Total guess, but it counts.

I got the missed clues of advertising and wendigo.  

So-so night.

Just a funny fail, when he asked about the Karl Marx quote, somehow my brain translated that into Groucho Marx.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I got the missed clue of Tennyson! I'm so proud of myself. Was in and out of the room so I know the result but hubby not paying complete attention. What was the FJ clue?

PLAYS:
A 1609 story in which an exiled king of Bulgaria creates a sea palace with his magic may have inspired the plot of this play

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

PLAYS:
A 1609 story in which an exiled king of Bulgaria creates a sea palace with his magic may have inspired the plot of this play

I did get this this right but I had the thought that, they have Shakespeare categories all the time.. did they have to have a Shakespeare answer in the more generic 'Plays'? couldn't they have used someone else.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Couldn't come up with FJ. All I could think of was The Little Mermaid but I knew that was wrong. 

I got stuck on The Little Mermaid too until I focused on the year and decided to follow the Shakespeare train of thought. I still wasn't sure because I mean anyone could write a play today based on a source from 1609. But I assumed there was a reason they mentioned the date and The Tempest is the wettest Shakespeare, so I went with it.

It was exciting to see the lead going back and forth at the end. If Cris had pulled it out I would have been happy for him but he had a great run -- fewer days than Mattea, but more money in winnings. And congrats to Andy.  

• Like 2
  • Love 5

I was terrible in kids' books and Legos, so I did not have a good first round.  I ran League of Nations and arm and got all but one each in radio and rubbery, but missed all but one in books and three in Legos.

I did better in DJ; I ran Blood, Sweat, & Tears and geography, got all but one in albums and words, and missed two each in the rest.

I had no idea for FJ.  But, like Megan, I had fun -- that was a surprisingly exciting game in DJ, after Andy had been a non-entity in the first round.

• Love 3

In "Kids Book Titles in Latin" they could have included the title of a book that is available in Latin: Winnie ille Pu.

Congratulations to Andy, on his win and on getting past his early misses.

• Like 2
  • Love 4

See, this is why it can be exciting to have long-running champs! Andy winning against a 1- or 2-day champ= good for him. Andy winning against Cris= way to go, giant killer! 

I liked Cris, so I’m sorry to see him go. But I’m very happy for Andy. The shock and excitement on his face at the end was almost palpable.

No FJ for me. (“Camelot? Brigadoon? I have no idea.”) The husband guessed Little Mermaid, so at least he got to be as wrong as a Superchamp. 

• Like 1
  • Love 9

I confess that I was hoping——for Cris's sake——that Andy would miss his DD, but then I heartily clapped for Andy when he got it. 
Cris's story during the first break really made me want him to just keep earning/winning more money: He came from a family with a lot of kids and was glad that for once he wasn't having to call his dad to borrow money. 
And I seriously doubt we'll ever have a better looking champ. 

Meghan should get some credit for helping to unseat Cris too.

I was very surprised [Lego] "brick" was a TS. 

I knew FJ was "that Shakespeare play I saw at dusk in the park a long time ago," but couldn't get The Tempest to the front of my mind in time, so just blurted out "Midsummer Night's Dream" even though I knew it was wrong.

Yesterday I read the FJ clue wrong, or I would've gotten the Berlin Wall (I was taught to do math in my head as a kid) but I was not familiar with "an edifice of fear," so that distracted me rather than helping.

• Like 1
  • Love 9
53 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Funny how ideas of physical attractiveness differ.  Personally, I do not find men with prominent brow ridges (a term I just learnt and which applies to Cris) attractive.  My mind just goes to Neanderthal men dragging women around by their hair, whether that's apocryphal or not!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

PLAYS:

Hmmm, was Bulgaria mentioned in two clues tonight (Tuesday)?  I wonder if the writers were googling “10 Facts About Bulgaria That You May Not Know”, or some such.

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
5 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I did notice how gracious he was in defeat- applauding Andy and offering a fist bump. 

And saying "Good game". 

I've seen some criticism of him not applauding others for DDs and such, and that's true of many contestants shown for a mere second or two chosen in editing at a time in the heat of an intense moment, but here when he'd had the time to absorb the fact his run had come to an end, he was the picture of good sporting when it was revealed. 

As, again, are most contestants.  The community of J! contestants is so wonderfully tight-knight, even among those who defeated each other, I think it's lovely how everyone fights hard, and then, even in the face of disappointment, generally maintains not just a respect but a happiness for their competitors.  That exists in all competitions, but it seems particularly prevalent in this one.  One more reason to love the show.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 13

Did anyone catch Ken's seeming ad lib/hint of 'the play's the thing' (from Hamlet) when introducing the FJ category?

He needs to learn to be neutral and edit his knee-jerk need to insert commentary. If Mayim had done that, we'd never hear the end of the complaints about why it shows she isn't fit to be host. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, TakomaSnark said:

If Mayim had done that, we'd never hear the end of the complaints about why it shows she isn't fit to be host. 

You wouldn’t have heard it from me, and I never pass up a legit opportunity to criticize Mayim. (It’s my nature.)

That’s a common enough a phrase that I don’t see it putting thoughts in anyone’s head. I didn’t even make the connection until you mentioned it.

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe by next TOC I’ll finally realize what actor he reminds me of!

• Like 3
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

Did anyone catch Ken's seeming ad lib/hint of 'the play's the thing' (from Hamlet) when introducing the FJ category?

4 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

That’s a common enough a phrase that I don’t see it putting thoughts in anyone’s head. I didn’t even make the connection until you mentioned it.

Ooo. Maybe that is why my mind went to Shakespeare?
I bet once Ken saw the final clue and then the correct response, he regretted saying it. 
Could Cris have ruled out Shakespeare (either consciously or subconsciously) because of it? 
🙁

4 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Joshua Jackson?

7575F52A-64A0-4F3C-BB81-93720B58507A.jpeg.f27e110fd0480f22f1e6227f4b5ac0a8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I bet once Ken saw the final clue and then the correct response, he regretted saying it. 

Ken already knew the question and response before it was shown.

Considering only 1 out of 3 contestants got it right, I don't think it was the big help anyone thinks it was.  I don't even think I heard him say it as I was adding up my DJ scores and I got it right.

But, if it was a help all 3 got the exact same help.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Could Cris have ruled out Shakespeare (either consciously or subconsciously) because of it? 
🙁

Joshua Jackson?

7575F52A-64A0-4F3C-BB81-93720B58507A.jpeg.f27e110fd0480f22f1e6227f4b5ac0a8.jpeg

I think that’s it. It has been bugging me too. 

Monday night I got Boodles (funny as I hate gin). I didn’t like the wording (edifice of fear) of FJ, but did know the Berlin Wall. 
   Last night I came up with The Little Prince, The Tale of Peter Rabbit, advertising, and sodium. I was another guesser with the Mermaid answer. 
   I’m happy for Cris that he had enough wins to get him a good deposit on a new home. I also enjoyed him being a good sport and congratulating Andy. I also wish he would have broken Mattea’s record. Hopefully we will have some different winners before another super champ begins their streak. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Cris reminded me of that guy who was in CSI Miami - "Speed" - played by Rory Cochrane.

• Like 3

Thank you, Andy!  I'll be so, so happy to see a fresh face at the champion's podium.

Sadly, I was clueless on FJ.  Little Mermaid was the only thing that really came to my mind, but I knew it couldn't be right.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, TaraS1 said:

I'll be so, so happy to see a fresh face at the champion's podium.

We only get to see half his face, what with all that hair.  I would really like to give him a haircut.

My only ts's were Tennyson and the Little Prince.

For FJ I was torn between Hamlet (not having noticed Ken's remark) and King Lear with no idea if they fit or not.  At least I had the right author.

I liked Cris well enough but I am glad Andy won.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I guess I'm the only one who believes Cris was just ready to go home. 

No, I thought that too. For all the excitement, a long run is terribly disruptive to day to day living. Jobs, family……more than once I’ve thought people “stopped out” when they wanted off. 

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Katy M said:

Just a funny fail, when he asked about the Karl Marx quote, somehow my brain translated that into Groucho Marx.

That would have been a VERY different headstone quote. 🤣

14 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I did get this this right but I had the thought that, they have Shakespeare categories all the time.. did they have to have a Shakespeare answer in the more generic 'Plays'? couldn't they have used someone else.

Eh, Shakespeare is a foundational playwright and his work influenced many things. I actually got to the answer by way of Forbidden Planet (also inspired by The Tempest).

13 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Winnie Ille Pu is delightful, but all of the books they used do exist in Latin as well.

I was pretty sure at least the Harry Potter one was. Haven't looked for it in Latin, but I vaguely remember seeing it when I looked for one in French (gift for child taking French).

I'm both sorry and glad to see Cris go. He was a heck of a player, and I liked him. But I felt like it was time. The new guy reminds me of someone - I knew it yesterday, but I've since forgotten it.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

New guy reminds me of Rick Steves, or possibly a younger Stephen King 

Yes! Stephen King was definitely in the mix, but I forget the other guy I thought he looked like (a blending of the two).

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Quickbeam said:
4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I guess I'm the only one who believes Cris was just ready to go home. 

No, I thought that too. For all the excitement, a long run is terribly disruptive to day to day living. Jobs, family……more than once I’ve thought people “stopped out” when they wanted off. 

I don't buy it. Seems like this type of speculation shows up every time a long running champ loses. If you look at Cris's game stats on The Jeopardy! Fan web site, he was playing his usual good game, first to buzz in more than the other 2. If he'd gotten FJ right, he would have won. He's had a few similar games where he won by getting FJ right. Last night he got it wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Joshua Jackson?

That’s not who I’ve been trying to dredge out of my brain, but I do see the resemblance!

47 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I don't buy it. Seems like this type of speculation shows up every time a long running champ loses. 

Every. Time. I don’t know why it’s so hard to believe that even the best players can have an off day, or just not know one of the zillion random facts that the show demands. These people aren’t machines.

• Like 3
  • Applause 6
  • Love 8
8 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Every. Time. I don’t know why it’s so hard to believe that even the best players can have an off day, or just not know one of the zillion random facts that the show demands. These people aren’t machines.

I don't know about every time as I haven't been watching weekly over the years. But for a guy, who could provide correct responses to the most arcane clues, to lose to a contestant who was mostly guessing his way though the first game? It was odd. I was waiting for another Matt Amodio type, or another Mattea to take down someone like Cris. Very odd.

8 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Very odd.

I don't see anything odd about it. Cris was playing a good game. He didn't know FJ, so he lost. Happens to the best of them.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Like 3
  • Love 7

Not to mention Cris answered incorrectly on a sizable DD wager, while Andy found the other one and got it right.  Wasn't that surprising his winning streak ended.

But yeah, maybe he was just tired of winning money on a game show.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

It was odd. I was waiting for another Matt Amodio type, or another Mattea to take down someone like Cris. Very odd.

It's part of the Jeopardy! legend that superchamps usually lose to someone who is one and done. However, more recently the ones who beat the superchamp have stuck around for at least a few more games. The only superchamp to stop another superchamp's streak that I can remember is Amy Schneider who beat Andrew He. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

At least it was a man who beat him; when a woman unseats a long-running male champion, we hear a lot more of it, and the unseated champ has to get on social media and say, Nope, I was quite enjoying making more money in a day than I generally do in years, so would have liked to keep doing so, but I got beat.

• Love 5

Catching up from Tuesday's game!  FJ was an instaget for me, and I got the missed clues of brick and sodium.  I tried to yell "sodium!" really loud so Cris would hear me, but alas, it was not to be.  

I don't suppose they would have accepted "marketing" for "advertising", would they?

Bye, Cris, and congrats to Andy!

• Love 1

87% / 43% / 64%

J!: Holy crap! I ran FOUR categories!!! Decade to Remember, College Football Bowl (of all things), State Stuff, and Meteorology. I missed two each in U is the Only Vowel and TV Sidekicks.

DJ: Holy crap, I did terribly. Got four Movie Characters, missed four Angles, and three in everything else.

Did not get FJ, or any TS.

Was kinda rooting for Tammy, as the only woman and also a neighbor (she's from about half an hour away), but I liked everyone so I'm happy to see Ron again.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

FJ was an instaget.

I got the missed clues of Kim Possible and After You.

I got the entire categories of u and movie characters right.  Although I'm a little depressed at what were considered classic movies.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, Katy M said:

FJ was an instaget.

I’ve gotta ask - what in your body of knowledge made that an instaget?  Because I could have guessed all night and not come up with the correct response. 

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
14 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’ve gotta ask - what in your body of knowledge made that an instaget?  Because I could have guessed all night and not come up with the correct response. 

I haven't seen the episode yet, but I looked at the archive and for me it was also an instaget. 😉 I'll refer to the two pieces of trivia which got me there, a bit later.

Well, I knew FJ had to be a president who took over halfway through another's term, and then was elected in his own right, but damn if I could come up with the right one.  Or any one, really.  And I was doing so well, too.  

I only got three TS -- bay window, After You, and The Testaments.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Well, I knew FJ had to be a president who took over halfway through another's term, and then was elected in his own right, but damn if I could come up with the right one.  Or any one, really.  

Same here... I thought of LBJ but I didn't think that was likely (was pretty sure he wasn't sworn in by his father, for one thing)..

• Love 3

I figured FJ had to refer to someone sworn in by Taft, who was Chief Justice after being POTUS, but that was as far as I got.

I'm disappointed in myself for missing "1950s" - mostly because of Carol Burnett's early success with "I Made A Fool Of Myself Over John Foster Dulles."

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

The bay window TS was quite surprising.

Damn TV sidekicks.  I ran everything else in the first round, but was terrible in that category.  I've never seen any of the shows (well, I've seen many skits from SNL over the years, even though I've never sat down and watched a whole episode - just not one with the guy pictured), and only managed to correctly guess one (24).

In DJ, I was equally terrible in sequels, only knowing Angela's Ashes (and thank goodness they asked for the original; if asked to give the title of the sequel instead, I would not have remembered).  Thankfully, I only had that one bad category; I ran peaks & valleys and characters, and got all but one in the rest.

I joined the contestants in being stumped by FJ, though.  I knew it was someone who'd taken over after a death, but just couldn't work it out in time.  Other than Lincoln (because he's so famous) and Grant (on whom I did a report in elementary school), I'm not very good with presidents 10-30.

• Like 3

I got FJ because I happen to know a little about "Silent Cal" Coolidge. Several years ago I told my father that I had found a new apartment, and mentioned Coolidge Street.
Dad: Coolidge? Sounds quiet.
Me:  You lose.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 13
8 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

That’s not who I’ve been trying to dredge out of my brain, but I do see the resemblance!

Same here -- that's not who he reminds me of (won't it be a kick if we both finally figure it out during the ToC and it's the same person?), but that's the one suggestion so far I've thought Oh, I can see that.

Andy, on the other hand, I've known from jump:  His face shape and hair remind me so very much of my high school chemistry teacher.  I always wanted to push his hair off his forehead, and feel the same urge with Andy.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1