Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Catching up from Tuesday night -- did not get FJ, although it was a forehead slapper when I heard the correct response.  

I did get the TS of CS Lewis/JRR Tolkien, Irving Berlin, Hoyle, and Dandelion Wine/Fahrenheit 451.  

We used to have Tang and graham crackers for snack every day at my Methodist vacation bible school -- every summer.  To this day, I can't stand Tang or graham crackers.  

• Like 6
  • Hugs 1

What a strange, strange game - what with all the TSs, especially in DJ and not getting to the last 3 clues. Was rooting for the returning champ since I didn't particularly care for either of the 2 challengers. Oh well.

Had a decent game today - did about the same in both rounds due to the 3 uncovered clues in DJ. In the J round I ran "Reading with Jenna Bush Hager" and got 4 in "State Insects" (guessed scorpion instead of wasp for the $1000 clue). Only 1 TS - Taxi.

In DJ I got 4 in "Double Vowel Places" and "'High' There". TSs were Kalamazoo, high boy, Highgate, Psalms, Sweet Charity, canoe and Alan Shepard. Should have gotten Caracalla but couldn't pull it out of the depths of my brain.

FJ wasn't quite an instaget, but close. Had to switch gears a bit since I was expecting them to be looking for people with the "Name's the Same" category. Then I focused on the Charlie Chaplin part of the clue and City Lights came to me.

• Like 5

Let me know when the new champ loses. I found him insufferable.

And nobody knew the 23rd Psalm?  Heck, they just wanted the book of the Bible.  Heathens! 

• Like 4
  • LOL 8
23 hours ago, Trey said:

Another day, another new champion.  Justin seems okay.

I got only one ts: Hoyle, and one missed DD: Irving Berlin.

I did not get FJ but I should have.

I am quoting my post from yesterday with the bolded text because that's exactly what Ken said at the beginning of the show.  I'm glad I had a little influence on him😁 And I can say it again tonight.

I had a boatload of ts's or missed DDs tonight: wasp, Uncle Sam, Taxi, Kalamazoo, highboy, Caligula, canoe, and Psalms.

I did not get FJ.  I was wracking my brain for Charlie Chaplin movies but all I could think of were The Kid and The Gold Rush.  So I went with the Gold Rush just to have something but I was pretty sure it was wrong.

I think I like the new champ better than Justin.

• Like 3

July 12:

63% / 63% / 62%

Not a good game, but at least I was consistent…missed one in Reading with Jenna Bush Hager, and two in everything else in the first round. In DJ I got all four that they got to in Kevin Sent, missed one Double-Vowel Place and Walking & Talking, two in Taking a Ride and "High" There, and four in Roman Emperors.

Did not get FJ. Not particularly familiar with Charlie Chaplin movie titles; I have heard of the bookstore but it's not exactly one that comes immediately to mind.

TSes were Taxi, Kalamazo, canoe, Macbeth, and Psalms.

I was rooting for the champ, but if I had to pick from the other two I'd rather see the guy again.

• Like 5

The most instagettiest of instagets for me tonight.  I wrote it down before Ken finished reading the clue.  

I also got the TS of wasp, Uncle Sam, Willow, Taxi, highboy, Highgate, Sweet Charity, Macbeth, canoe, and the surprising TS of Psalms.  

It doesn't hurt my feelings that Mia didn't win, but I was rooting for the champ to repeat.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Sad that Justin didn't get another win. The new guy is ok (except for the ad nauseum please's). Yeah, I was making alternative plans if Mia had won. TS's: Taxi (is the show *that* old?), Uncle Sam, Kalamazoo, highboy, Alan Shepherd, MacBeth & canoe. Didn't get FJ but I believe Ferlinghetti owned City Lights, right? I saw him perform decades ago at Harvard (I wasn't a student there! 😄)

• Like 4
53 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Let me know when the new champ loses. I found him insufferable.

And nobody knew the 23rd Psalm?  Heck, they just wanted the book of the Bible.  Heathens! 

I am a heathen and I knew it.

• Like 9
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 6
32 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Oh, thank god. I'd have been archive only if Mia had won.

Speaking of the archive, has anyone else noticed they've been getting categories wrong lately? Tonight instead of Roman Emperors it said Roman Languages, and I noticed I think two other instances in the last week or two. 

• Mind Blown 4
  • Useful 1

I’m not sure about the new champ, but t least I can keep watching. I got wasp, highboy, canoe, psalms plus one other I didn’t get written down.  I had a guess for FJ, but it was wrong. Seeing all the contestants and a lot of you getting it makes me feel like a dimwit. Must have low blood sugar. That’s my excuse to now medicate my loss with chocolate 😹

• Like 3
  • Hugs 4
  • LOL 2
49 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m not sure about the new champ, but t least I can keep watching. I got wasp, highboy, canoe, psalms plus one other I didn’t get written down.  I had a guess for FJ, but it was wrong. Seeing all the contestants and a lot of you getting it makes me feel like a dimwit. Must have low blood sugar. That’s my excuse to now medicate my loss with chocolate 😹

We ain't no dimwits! We're just not all that into Charlie Chaplin movies 😁 (I had chocolate before the show began & it didn't help) 

• Like 4
  • LOL 6
(edited)
5 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

We ain't no dimwits! We're just not all that into Charlie Chaplin movies 😁 (I had chocolate before the show began & it didn't help) 

I was too old for most of the slang category and not old enough for FJ...
👵🏻👶🏻

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 6
  • LOL 7

Boy, I was spot on in my prediction for the Alan Shepard clue; I knew someone was going to guess John Glenn, and had the strong feeling it was going to be a TS.  Several of the many others were surprising, though.

I was hoping Mia would win (and liked her trying to rush to get all the clues uncovered at the end), but Ittai was cracking me up in the beginning, as I thought he was going to hurt himself trying to ring in.

I ran insects and Canada and got all but one in revivals and books, but pop culture did me in in the first round; I missed four in TV and two in slang (in the case of "say less", I could have sat here until I died and never come up with it, and I've now looked up "lowkey goated when X is the vibe" and still don't understand what the hell it means).

In DJ, I ran high and rides and got all but one in places and Kevin.  I missed three in Roman and two in walking & talking.

FJ was almost an instaget.

• Like 5
(edited)
14 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

The only time I had wine at communion was at an Episcopal church. 

Episcopalians always have the most fun.

I did pretty well tonight, got several TS’s although I didn’t count how many and I’m not sure they make me smart. (Psalms? Really?)

For FJ, I was very disappointed in myself because I am well versed in silent movies. (Years ago, I spent many a weekend morning with Dead Comics Society, a show on the Comedy Channel— precursor to Comedy Central, and yes, I’m that old— that was a wonderful showcase for both features and shorts from the silent era.) I’ve read books, had film classes, etc. But for Chaplin, the only titles that came to mind were The Gold Rush, Modern Times, The Kid, and The Great Dictator.  I rejected the last two for obvious reasons, and hesitantly chose The Gold Rush based solely on the clue’s reference to the west coast. I forgot all about City Lights. But I didn’t know about the Beat connection, so I’m not sure I’d have picked it even if I’d remembered the movie.

Now, if they’d had a clue referencing Buster Keaton…

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Like 6

Insta instaget FJ for me tonight. I said it before Ken had even said five words.

Really glad Mia did not win. Her interview segment really turned me off. I sure hope she watched La La Land at home… 

• Like 8
13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Speaking of the archive, has anyone else noticed they've been getting categories wrong lately? Tonight instead of Roman Emperors it said Roman Languages, and I noticed I think two other instances in the last week or two. 

The fellow who usually does it is away and someone is filling in for him.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Wink 1
  • Useful 6
14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

1 hour ago, Trey said:

The fellow who usually does it is away and someone is filling in for him.

I'm flabbergasted that this could even happen on a show with the resources and reputation (deserved or not) of Jeopardy.  So someone's away for a couple of weeks - how hard is it to stockpile a few weeks' supply of extra categories, and to triple check what's being put out there?

• Fire 1

It isn't Jeopardy! production who does the Archive. It is done by Mark Barrett, from JBoard, on a strictly volunteer basis. At least as far as I know.

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

TS's: Taxi (is the show *that* old?),

Well, it started in 1978, which is 45 years ago, so I'd say ... yes. Loved that show. For its day it was really progressive.

12 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Keaton was SO much better than Chaplin, imo.

It was a decent game for me, ran TV (my strength - as long as it's pre-streaming) and did okay on others.

Didn't get FJ, literally the only thing that came into my mind was an image of Chaplin eating a shoe. That's it...my brain froze.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 8
1 hour ago, Trey said:

It isn't Jeopardy! production who does the Archive. It is done by Mark Barrett, from JBoard, on a strictly volunteer basis. At least as far as I know.

Sounds like a labor of love. I, for one, really appreciate him doing it. 

• Like 10
12 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Really glad Mia did not win. Her interview segment really turned me off. I sure hope she watched La La Land at home… 

Me, too.  It's infuriating when people are on their phones during movies.  I paid good money to watch the movie, not be blinded by the light from your damn phone!  Her story almost makes me want to go "fix" movie synopses in Wikipedia, too....

• Fire 3
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Trey said:

I'm so sorry.  I thought the post I replied to was referring to something the show itself was putting out.  Apologies then especially to the people putting together the Archive.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Love 3

Had to tape Tuesday's show due to the All-Star game.  Won't say a lot about it except it seemed like a good game for the contestants and me.  FJ was pretty easy since I've watched the Olympics for decades.

Last night's game, on the other hand, was terrible.  17 triple stumpers, 1 missed DD and they left 3 clues on the board in DJ.  Plus, I wanted Mia to fuck right the hell off with all her extraneous chatter; thank goodness she didn't win.

Unlike the contestants, I had a decent game.  FJ was not quite an instaget as I had to push The Great Dictator out of the way to get to City Lights, but it was easy enough nonetheless.  I ran Reading, Emperors, "High" There, Kevin and Walking, and got all but 1 clue in State Insects (I almost said wasp but then changed my mind), Revival, Places and Ride.  I knew someone would say John Glenn.  Everyone always forgets Alan Shephard.

I got the missed DD of Trajan and 11 of the many stumpers: Taxi (!), Willow, Caligula, Caracalla, Kalamazoo, highboy, Highgate, Psalms (really, no one knew that???), Sweet Charity, canoe and, of course, Alan Shephard.

On 7/11/2023 at 7:08 PM, ECM1231 said:

Pfft, 2/3 of the contestants found the clue confusing.

So?  That's on them, not the clue writers.  It wasn't a difficult clue IF one read it carefully.

On 7/11/2023 at 10:31 PM, Bastet said:

The ERA being a TS was disheartening.

Not as disheartening as it STILL not having been passed in enough states an entire century later.

On 7/12/2023 at 8:34 AM, annzeepark914 said:

Yes indeed, one being the Methodists. The only time I had wine at communion was at an Episcopal church. 

One of the few good things about being Episcopal.

I loved Tang when I was a kid.  I think part of the allure was that "it was what the astronauts drank".  Fortunately I grew out of it.

17 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Heck, I am a heathen and I knew it.

• Like 4
15 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Seeing all the contestants and a lot of you getting it makes me feel like a dimwit.

Nah, just someone who might not be that familiar with Chaplin films or who had never heard of the bookstore.

14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I was too old for most of the slang category and not old enough for FJ...
👵🏻👶🏻

I knew lit and was able to extrapolate groomzilla from bridezilla, but otherwise, yeah too old for this shit.

13 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I adore Buster Keaton.  I knew nothing of his work until I took some film history courses in college, but now I completely get his genius.  One Week, where he and his bride build their dream house from a box kit only to have it destroyed by a train, is absolutely hysterical.  I feel particularly connected to that one since the original owners of my parents' house built it from a kit they ordered from Sears & Roebuck.

48 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Keaton was SO much better than Chaplin, imo.

Mine, too.  I like many of Chaplin's films, but Keaton was just brilliant.

26 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Me, too.  It's infuriating when people are on their phones during movies.  I paid good money to watch the movie, not be blinded by the light from your damn phone!  Her story almost makes me want to go "fix" movie synopses in Wikipedia, too....

I must've been out of the room during her interview but if it involved using her phone during movies, I like her even less than I already did.

• Like 5
12 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I couldn't understand *anything* she said, except for the words La La Land (a movie I didn't see). Too much cute-talking (a/k/a chirping).

• Like 6
  • Fire 1

I was expecting to hate the books featured by Jenna Bush Hager, but I wound up thinking she had surprisingly good taste and that I might like having her in my book group.

I like the new champ because of his story about Ecuador. He likes to vibe with the animals! 

I never saw LaLaLand, but I liked Mia for not liking it, though using her phone in the theater is not cool. Also, I liked her speed. I hate it when clues get left on the board.

It seemed like everybody had a really low score going into FJ. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:
On 7/11/2023 at 10:31 PM, Bastet said:

The ERA being a TS was disheartening.

Not as disheartening as it STILL not having been passed in enough states an entire century later.

Actually, it has passed in enough states, but the last several came after the deadline set by Congress. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1

I understand how Alan Shepard gets overlooked in all the John Glenn hoopla, but I easily remember him because our school cafeteria served shepherd's pie on the day he went into space. I had never heard of shepherd's pie before.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I knew lit and was able to extrapolate groomzilla from bridezilla, but otherwise, yeah too old for this shit.

Those are the ones I got, too. 

I feel particularly connected to that one since the original owners of my parents' house built it from a kit they ordered from Sears & Roebuck.

You might enjoy this episode of the 99% Invisible podcast:

The House that Came in the Mail

I must've been out of the room during her interview but if it involved using her phone during movies, I like her even less than I already did.

She said she looks up plot summaries before seeing a movie (I don't much care about spoilers most of the time, but I don't actively go looking to spoil things for myself...), but she looked up La La Land on her phone while watching it in the theater.

5 hours ago, possibilities said:

It seemed like everybody had a really low score going into FJ. 

$6,600, $6,200, and $4,800.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

July 13:

77% / 57% / 66%

J!: Pretty good round…ran From the Headlines, Eat It! Wear It! Or Sit On It!, and Nonfiction; missed one in animal expressions and three in Live Cams and "R" Song.

DJ: Pretty bad round…ran Medicine and Religious Objects (they only got to four), missed two in Flightseeing Across America and Flowery Poetry & Prose, three in Movie Before & After, and my high school Españ-o completely failed me tonight.

Did not get FJ.

TSes were slipper, bar stool, gastroenteritis, crèche, and Shroud of Turin (DD).

Had to root for Dennis after learning he forged IDs as a child to get extra library cards so he could get more books. Oh, well. I like Ittai well enough but he makes me anxious watching him.

• Like 5

FJ was an instaget.

I got the missed clues of slipper, wolves and creche.

I got the entire categories of cam and movies before and after, only because of the help of the wrong answers.

• Like 3

TS: Wolves, Creche, Scott Pilgrim vs the World According to Garp,  Gastroenteritis, The Good the Bad and the Ugly American. FJ: I remembered the Maine. My answer to the "Dora the Explorer" question (In the live action movie "Dora & the Lost City of Gold", Dora asks the audience, "Can you say" this tasty word?) was "taco"! And while I did not get "daffodil", I understood what the word "rhyme" means (my answer was "whippoorwill", which is a bird) ("Completes A.E. Housman's "Lent Lily" rhyme: "Find the windflower playing with every wind at will, but not the" this")

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, illdoc said:

(my answer was "whippoorwill", which is a bird)

Well, glad I'm not alone there, at least. "Wind at will" sort of sounds like whippoorwill so that's where my mind went, even though I know it's a bird, and I couldn't think of a flower ending with -ill.

• Like 3

I enjoyed the game.

I got the ts's or missed DDs of slipper, Shroud of Turin, daffodil, creche, and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly American.

I am familiar with the phrase "Remember the Maine" but I forgot it and said Constitution instead - which came approx. 100 years earlier.

I like Ittai, don't see anything wrong with him at all.  I did like Dennis's story about forging library cards to get more books.  I could relate - when I first joined the library as a child I could get only one book out at a time - it was very frustrating to a little voracious reader.

• Like 6
19 minutes ago, Trey said:

I enjoyed the game.

I like Ittai, don't see anything wrong with him at all.  I did like Dennis's story about forging library cards to get more books.  I could relate - when I first joined the library as a child I could get only one book out at a time - it was very frustrating to a little voracious reader.

No, no and no. I didn't enjoy this game because (1) it wasn't one of my better ones and I didn't like Ittai (2) or Dennis (3). Was rooting for Kathy all the way.

Only 2 good categories in each round. In the J round I got 4 in "From the Headlines" and "Eat It! Wear It! or Sit on It!". In DJ I got 4 in "Flightseeing over America" and "Medicine". TSs/missed DDs were bar stool, crèche and Shroud of Turin (DD).

FJ wasn't exactly an instaget, but once I did the math - 1889 + 9 = 1898 - I immediately "Remembered the Maine".

• Like 2

I totally forgot the Maine.  When the category was first revealed, my brain went to exploration ships (Endurance!  Fram!  Erebus and Terror!), and would not return.

I did get several TS, including wolves, Scott Pilgrim vs the World According to Garp, shroud of Turin, gastroenteritis, and creche.

I was rooting for Dennis.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I totally forgot the Maine.  When the category was first revealed, my brain went to exploration ships (Endurance!  Fram!  Erebus and Terror!), and would not return.

I've been watching too much Star Trek. I said, "Enterprise."  LOL

• Like 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1

I’m usually not very vocal over rulings, but I don’t think “My Fair Lady Day” should’ve been accepted. The category specifically said Movie Before and After. There was no movie titled just Lady Day, was there?

• Like 1
  • Applause 5
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Ittai looks like he's having a full-body seizure half the time he rings in.

The barstool TS surprised me, but imagining love seats and recliners with 30-inch legs entertained me.  Along with a 14-foot-long Sistine Chapel.

I almost ran the entire first round, but I missed Spiro Agnew in headlines (and then did a mental V-8 head slap at not putting it together), Sun Tzu in nonfiction (I know the gist of the book, but have somehow never registered the author), and the Taylor Swift lyric in songs.

In DJ, I was - shocker - terrible in religion, but I did manage to get one, the creche TS.  I remember a First Amendment case in law school about display of a creche -- the reason it was memorable is half the class had to ask what the hell a creche was before we could get started.  I've remembered ever since.  I was also pretty bad in movies; the only one I knew was My Fair Lady Sings the Blues and the only other one I figured out from knowing one of the films and knowing enough through cultural osmosis of the other was The Empire Strikes Back to the Future (the latter being the one I knew). 

Other than those, I did well; I ran medicine and Spanish, got all but the Punchbowl Crater TS in flightseeing (I've been to Honolulu, but Diamond Head is the only crater I remember, and I knew that wasn't it), and only missed two in poetry (a very hit and miss subject for me).

I didn't get FJ, though; all things war tend to be weak subjects for me, areas I would definitely have to study were I ever going to actually play this game.  I've heard "Remember the Maine", but didn't know anything else about it.

2 hours ago, SHD said:

I’m usually not very vocal over rulings, but I don’t think “My Fair Lady Day” should’ve been accepted. The category specifically said Movie Before and After. There was no movie titled just Lady Day, was there?

Sort of; there's a documentary about her titled Lady Day: The Many Faces of Billie Holiday.  So - even though I said the "real" answer of Lady Sings the Blues - I can see them saying that's a subtitle that doesn't need to be included; Lady Day suffices as the title of that film, and that film is acceptable in the first place as there's nothing in the clue that applies to Lady Sings the Blues but not to the documentary; it just had to be something about Billie Holiday that started with "Lady".

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
  • Useful 4
4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

She said she looks up plot summaries before seeing a movie (I don't much care about spoilers most of the time, but I don't actively go looking to spoil things for myself...), but she looked up La La Land on her phone while watching it in the theater.

It wasn’t even the idea of looking up plot summaries that annoyed me so much (although she better not sit near me in a dark theatre if she wants to keep that phone), it was the clear delight she took in her own quirkiness. 

I liked all the contestants today.

55 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Lady Day suffices as the title that film, and that film is acceptable in the first place as there's nothing in the clue that applies to Lady Sings the Blues but not to the documentary; it just had to be something about Billie Holiday that started with "Lady".

Damn, and I came here all prepared to be VERY INDIGNANT about that response being accepted. I’ll just tuck my tail in and slink away now.

I forgot the Maine.

• Like 6
  • LOL 4
13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

To be fair, she didn't say anything about doing it in a theater. She might have been watching it at home. A lot of people wait for movies to come out on streaming these days, especially if it's not something they're particularly interested in.

This is reinforced by the fact that she said, "I could have saved myself a couple of hours," but didn't say anything about saving herself money, which suggests that she didn't pay for a ticket.

The story caught my attention, because on another forum, I've been taking part in a discussion about whether spoilers are good or bad, and I thought she would have fit right in there. My own position: I don't go looking for spoilers, but I also don't go out of my way to avoid them, don't mind if I hear them, and think that the way some people act as though learning a spoiler is the worst thing that can possibly happen is a bit over-the-top.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3

It sure sounded to me that Kathy said “ Ugly American”……( I replayed it a few times) .. and she looked puzzled when he said she was wrong. The $4000 she lost there would have made her champion .  I’m surprised I see no other comments , is my hearing that bad??

It depends, for me, whether I'm okay with being spoiled.  I absolutely will avoid spoilers for competitions like J! or TAR (I don't want to know who wins until I see it!), or even a movie with a major twist (spoilers would have ruined The Sixth Sense for me).  But minor spoilers are fine -- where the racers are going next on TAR, or the existence of Baby Yoda, which was an inescapable spoiler.

That said, I rarely, if ever, actively seek out spoilers.  Sometimes it just happens.

• Like 3