Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I had no answer for FJ, which was upsetting because I had been 3 for 3 going into Thursday's game and when I saw "The Movies" as the category, I was feeling quite confident.

Ceramic artist didn't trigger anything for me so I zeroed in on centenarians. The only movies I thought of featuring older people were Driving Miss Daisy, which I knew was late '80s and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, which I knew was sometime in the 2000s. Neither involved ceramics. Also, I don't think either character was specifically a centenarian! I've never seen Titanic, so it didn't even cross my mind.

• Like 3

Well, that was another crappy game.  Sixteen stumpers and all 3 DDS wrong.  Ugh.

Not that I had a good game.  As previously stated, I missed FJ.  I only ran Farmer's Market, Museums and Shorts, and also only had 3 categories where I knew all but 1 clue, The Law, Music and Before & After.  I did, however, get 12 stumpers and 1 of the missed DDs: Finland, Pinocchio, Guggenheim, the Victoria & Albert Museum, Pepin, Felipe, Italy, Zanzibar, Latvia, freehold, allocution, Billy the Kid Rock and Miley Cyrus McCormick.  I would've gotten 2 DDs if I'd remembered the Borgias, but I went with Medicis.

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

I didn't get FJ, though; ceramics + '90s made me think of Ghost, but centenarian and narrator made no sense with that, so I knew that wasn't it.  I should have thought about old Rose narrating Titanic, but I hate that movie (well, I like quite a few things about it and find it visually stunning, but I loathe with the heat of a nova centering that stupid Rose-Jack romance, so it balances out to something I will never watch again other than select scenes if I'm going around the dial) had no idea the character was inspired by a real person, and have no recollection of that pottery scene, so it didn't come to me -- despite being so oh, of course in hindsight (not many other movies with centenarian characters, period, let alone among those popular enough to be the subject of a FJ clue).

Come sit with me at the "I hate Titanic" table.  Like you, I found it visually stunning but was so turned off by the turgid romance that I cannot enjoy it at all.

• Like 3
19 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I think Bryan looks more like Will Sasso than he does Chris Sullivan. JMHO.

Spot on.

15 hours ago, chicagofan said:

When I saw/heard the response of Ghost I thought "Crap! That's it". So I was surprised when my answer of Titanic was right. I haven't seen Titanic either (wasn't even sure it came out in the 90s) but centenarian in the clue made me think of Rose and I couldn't think of anything else.

I didn't think of her, but once I saw the answer it all made sense.

12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I totally forgot about that! Haven't seen the whole movie in quite some time...definitely not from the beginning.

We watch it periodically. It's the only movie my husband wanted to see - in the theater! - twice. And that's when we had to get a babysitter in order to see it.  But we still didn't get FJ.

4 hours ago, Katy M said:

For all we know he could have still been saved at that point, but Rose thrust him away.

And that, for me, was the worst/funniest part of the movie. Rose declaring that she'll never let go...and then she lets go of Jack. It really spoiled the weight of the moment. But it does add a bit of a in joke when we rewatch it. Just like the line in "It's a Wonderful Life" when he's aghast that his wife is a ...LIBRARIAN! (same as I was once).

It wasn't a particularly good game for me, and no FJ. oh well.

• Like 4

I just scared myself. With all this talk about Titanic (the movie - which I haven't seen) I just remembered that I saw Titanic (the musical) on Broadway back when I was traveling to New York on a regular basis to binge on theater. While I don't really remember too much about the show, what "scared" me was that I remembered the theater where it was performed. It had to be a larger theater as the set was huge.

Remembering this earlier wouldn't have helped with FJ (which I did get) as the story of the musical was not the same as the movie - no Rose, Jack, etc. It told the stories of various people associated with the ship - owner, captain and crew, 1st, 2nd and 3rd class passengers. Don't know how much of the stories were real or fiction, but they did include the story of Isidor and Ida Straus.

• Like 2

A game worth forgetting today. Didn't do particularly well in either round and no FJ to end the week.

Only 3 good categories - got 4 in "Welcome to the Big Urban Area", "Serenity Now!" and "Let's Get 'Down'". TSs/missed DDs in the J round were Malibu, Khartoum (DD), Tropicana and skyscraper. Should have gotten 218 but I couldn't get 435 divided by 2 in my head fast enough. Only 2 TSs in DJ - eiderdown and Treasure Island.

Didn't really come up with anything in FJ - think I finally settled on Norway. When Ilena's response of Japan was revealed I thought "that makes sense - too bad I didn't think of it".

Welcome back Ken. 💖

• Like 4

Only two ts's for me, 64 and eiderdown. For some reason I blurted out Long John Silver instead of Treasure Island and didn't have time to correct myself.

For FJ, I knew it was an Asian country but went with Thailand instead of Japan. 

• Like 4

June 30:

57% / 53% / 54%

Worst game of the week! In J! I ran Numbers in the News, missed one in Venn Diagram Intersections and Compound Words, three in Business, and four in Urban Area and Sports Rookies (thanks, LPGA, for letting me not completely fail that one). In DJ I ran Science & Nature, missed one in Let's Get "Down", two in Historic Greats, three in Serenity Now!, and four in Pop Eye and Sailor Man.

Did not get FJ. (I guessed India. Not for any particular reason.)

TSes - 21 missed clues! There were 11 plus the DD in J! and 9 in DJ - I got 64 (French retirement age), 218 (votes to become Speaker), Malibu, Cupid, Tropicana, Winnebago, skyscraper, Sweden, quartz, and eiderdown.

• Like 4

I said India.

I got the missed clues of Khartoum, Malibu, windsurfing, Chevrolet, Cyrus, eiderdown,Sweden, and treasure Island.

I got the entire categories of urban areas and down right.

• Like 3

I said Spain for FJ.  My first thought was France, but I discounted it as too obvious.  I was so very wrong on so very many levels!  

But I did get several of the many TS, including windsurfing, Winnebago, Tropicana, Eider down, For Your Eyes Only, quartz, Treasure Island, and The Perfect Storm.

• Like 4

Tonight I was pulling for Bryan. Guess I jinxed him. Well, I didn't get many TS's but I did get Richard Petty ('59 was my clue...a guess), Skyscraper, Tropicana, and the French retirement age because who could believe the French thought 64 was too old for retiring? I only knew one in Sailor category, Sinbad. Was not the best night. Thank God Ken returns on Monday. It's dull without him, IMO.

• Like 9

Another in bed with the cat game (but, after a rough night, she has turned a corner), so I didn't keep track of specifics.

If I'd been first to select a clue in the Serenity Now! category, I'd have had to shout it as an imitation of Frank Costanza in Seinfeld.  (Ilena might have been trying for that, but if she was, she didn't nail it; it sounded like a general use of the exclamation point.)

I remember being surprised no one guessed skyscraper, or Treasure Island (I, too, stood there with no guess for that one, but one of us should've tossed that out!), but I'm not sure if there were any others.

I know I only missed one in the first round, because I had run the whole damn thing until the final clue, for only $200, but I didn't know who made the X-box (my videogame knowledge is all from back in the days of Atari and Texas Instruments).

I'm not sure I ran anything in DJ, though.  The only category in which I was terrible was sailors, but I probably missed one or two in everything else.

I wound up with no guess for FJ.  I was rooting for Ilena, so good for her being the only one to know it. 

On a shallow note, I loved the color and sleeves of Courtney's top (but I wanted to replace or at least reposition that tied belt).

• Like 2

Meh game.

I know precisely three national anthems (US, Canada and France— oh, and I guess England, so make that four) and I knew FJ was not any of those.  So I guessed Spain, just because and for no particular reason.

And now we have a real librarian champion, the anti-Judy Greer. Sorry to lose Bryan so soon, but good for Ilena. She looked like she was having fun.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Oh good (sarcasm), my brain read/heard the song title "Always Something There to Remind Me" and instantly started playing the next two songs from the mid-'90s Cool Rock commercial. So glad I still remember that. 🙄

• LOL 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Meh game.

I know precisely three national anthems (US, Canada and France— oh, and I guess England, so make that four) and I knew FJ was not any of those.  So I guessed Spain, just because and for no particular reason.

And now we have a real librarian champion, the anti-Judy Greer. Sorry to lose Bryan so soon, but good for Ilena. She looked like she was having fun.

She did look like she enjoyed herself, and her voice is made for voiceover work, (in the best way).

Edited by South
Add
  • Like 2
35 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Her voice is what I dislike most.

When she loses, she should hang around LA & try to get a job as a character actor at one of the studios. Oh well...Ken will lighten things up on Monday (thank God!)

• Like 1

Odd airing last night on Fox45 out of Baltimore at 7 pm, the airing we usually watch. They aired an old episode with Ken as host. I record ABC DC affiliate airing at 7:30 pm. They aired the new episode. Just finished watching it. I'm surprised they cleared the board with so many TSs. 

• Sad 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Tonight I was pulling for Bryan. Guess I jinxed him. Well, I didn't get many TS's but I did get Richard Petty ('59 was my clue...a guess), Skyscraper, Tropicana, and the French retirement age because who could believe the French thought 64 was too old for retiring?

My cousins in Europe (not France) retired at 60 - the official retirement age for government pension in their country. I believe France had a similar age that was pushed to 62 once (but I could be wrong about that).*

*Just read up about French social security. It's a little like ours, and 62 is the statutory age (the first age you can retire with some income) and full social security comes in at 65-67.  So I'm guessing, that the change has pushed up the statutory age. Nobody likes a change to when they can retire (unless it's earlier... 😉)

12 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Meh game.

I know precisely three national anthems (US, Canada and France— oh, and I guess England, so make that four) and I knew FJ was not any of those.

Same here. I didn't count France, because I don't understand the words, but I can sort of sing along. LOL.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1

I remember the protests against pushing France’s retirement age from 62 to 64 because at my house, we were unimpressed. Like, stop your whining, you lazy bastards, you still get to retire earlier than we do! (Said only with love.)

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I didn't count France, because I don't understand the words, but I can sort of sing along. LOL.

“Allons, enfants de la patrie, le jour de gloire est arrivé!” Roughly, “let’s go, nation’s children, it’s our day of glory!” Then there’s a bunch of stuff about invaders coming to rip out the throats of your loved ones, but they can’t defeat the more noble men of France, who will water the ground with the invaders’ blood.  And if any patriots fall, new soldiers will just sprout from the ground and take their place.

It’s an ode to good horticulture, really.

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
On 6/29/2023 at 5:10 PM, possibilities said:

Just a head's up: I have not read Kipling's The Jungle Book, but the opinion that it is not racist is not a universal one. 

Two examples of this opinion:

https://mediadiversified.org/2016/04/29/the-new-jungle-book-tries-to-bypass-racism-by-erasing-identities-altogether/

https://gizmodo.com/reminder-rudyard-kipling-was-a-racist-fuck-and-the-jun-1771044121

BTW: does anyone know a quick way to do a search for this book, and screen out articles about the Disney movies based on it? I tried a few different ways, but apparently the world cares more about Disney than Kipling. The articles I linked do discuss the book, but to find them I had to shovel through a load of Disney-talk.

In Google, try “jungle book” -Disney.  The minus sign acts like “not” in the Boolean world.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
10 hours ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

Chevrolet Bow tie:  my friend’s family is a long time Chevy dealership owner, and when his father passed away, they had a “ bow tie” on his casket. I loved that!

Wait - the Chevrolet logo is supposed to be a bow tie???  I keep looking at them but I just don't see it!  Some weird truncated cross, or some weird truncated "t" -- or a plus sign maybe?  But a bow tie?  Just no.

Speaking of bow ties, my brother Gimmick Genius's 5-year Jeopar-versary is tomorrow.  

JimJeop.jpg

• Like 13
1 minute ago, possibilities said:

I also had no idea the Chevy logo was supposd to be a bowtie. I've seen it, of course, But it never occured to me that it was a bowtie!

I responded correctly to the clue, but prior to that if you had asked me what the Chevy logo is, I'd have said "You know, the [draw it in the air with my fingers]," not "a bowtie".  But that's what they call it.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
On 6/27/2023 at 6:09 PM, 30 Helens said:

Yes, as are all game shows, apparently. There’s a reason game shows are among the cheapest shows to produce, and why the networks/syndicators like them so much.

I get that the contestants know the rules going in, but you can’t convince me the show doesn’t have room in its budget to treat the show’s stars (as Alex always emphasized) a little better. It’s been $1000/$2000 consolation prizes for as long as I can remember, but airfare and lodging costs keep rising. Seems like it’s time for a raise.

Re. “Cheesemonger”: OK, I concede. It’s a real title. I still think it sounds goofy.

When I was on the show about a hundred years ago (1997) I ended in 3rd place & received a $1000 gift certificate from Service Merchandise but 2nd place was a trip to Fiji which I’m pretty sure even that long ago was worth way more than $2000. And my gift certificate bought quite a bit in 1997 dollars.

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 4
17 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

Wait - the Chevrolet logo is supposed to be a bow tie???  I keep looking at them but I just don't see it!  Some weird truncated cross, or some weird truncated "t" -- or a plus sign maybe?  But a bow tie?  Just no.

JimJeop.jpg

That was my reaction. Chevrolet bowtie--hunh??  I grew up in a "Chevy family", one of my first cars was a Camaro. Never thought of that logo as a bowtie...or as anything but a modernistic design. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I, too, call BS on the “bow tie” name.  I tried to do some research and find out why it was called that, but only found theories to its origin: 1, it was inspired by a wallpaper design that founder William Durant saw in a Paris hotel (his official story); 2, it was modeled after the Swiss cross (Switzerland being the homeland of Louis Chevrolet); 3, Daddy doodled it on a napkin during dinner (according to Durant’s daughter); or 4, he stole it from the Coalettes company after seeing a newspaper ad for the product (according to his wife).

IMG_0379.jpeg.3de81221035038b9931750893572ec6c.jpeg

I think his wife knew him best.

https://autowise.com/facts-chevy-emblem/

• Like 2
  • Useful 6
  • LOL 1

Welcome back Ken. 😀

Pretty good J round. Ran "'Neg' Bait". and got 4 in "A Job in Television", "Like a Version" and "Touched for the Very First Time". Should have had 4 in "Riots in History", but couldn't pull Stonewell out of the recesses of my brain. Got 1 of the 2 TSs - Donegal.

Didn't do as well in DJ. Only good categories were 4 in "Counties in England" and "No Cap". Should have gotten a couple more in "Words Within Words", but while I came up with some of the words like chicken and catacomb, I couldn't visualize the words within. 🙁 TSs/missed DDs were Saxons, Cornwall (DD) and 70. Should have gotten The Wind in the Willows but for no reason I mistakenly thought they wanted the author and not the title. Oh well.

Didn't get FJ. Couldn't think of anything for most of the think music, but came up with culottes at the last second.

• Like 3
(edited)

July 3:

60% / 63% / 62%

Way to start the week 🙄. Ran Riots in History, missed one in Like Aversion, two in TV Jobs and Touched for the Very First Time, three in Cars, and four in "Neg" Bait. Ran nothing in DJ, missed one in Words within Words and Nature, two in "B" Movie Quotes, Counties of England, and No Cap, and three in Books by Chapters.

But I got FJ and it was an asterisk! (Wasn't super confident because I always think of them as more of a 1950s thing.)

TSes were the ick (only because of a silly youtube channel I watch where she reacts to viral videos and Tik Tok trends and the like), coho, and Saxons. (I was so impressed with them, there were only two in the first round…then there were 10 in DJ plus one of the DDs.)

I liked Elliot; I was rooting for him (initially because he was the odd one out and I didn't have strong feelings either way about any of them).

I liked Sarah's shirt.

Now I have Madonna stuck in my head. Thanks a lot, Ken (hey, everything else is apparently his fault, according to the internet, so why not blame him for this one, too?).

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1
22 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I got as far as a bob haircut and then stalled. Never thought of socks.

I thought "truncate ... trunks?" and stuck there even though I couldn't think of any swimming trunk-related fads.

I got animus and Cornwall.

• Like 6
32 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I thought "truncate ... trunks?" and stuck there even though I couldn't think of any swimming trunk-related fads.

"To cut short" also led me to truncate, where I similarly got lost.  I could have sat here all night and not come up with the correct response for FJ.

I did get the TS of 70, calla lilies, coho, Cornwall, and The Wind In The Willows.

• Like 5

I also got to Bob for FJ and stalled.  

The game is just so much better with Ken as host.   I actually paid attention and enjoyed the play.  It helped that the new champ was smart, quick and an aggressive bettor.

• Like 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Me, too, re: trunks!!! Was sooooo sure,  yelling "Trunks!!!!" at the TV 

Edited by Kimmmmmm
  • Like 2

I went to bob then immediately to bobbysox.  It may help that my father played Sinatra allllll the time -- bobbysoxers positively swooned over him -- or more likely the impact that Sinatra parodies in Looney Tunes made on young, impressionable me.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Did anyone else channel Katharine Hepburn and say "The calla lilies are in bloom again" for that TS?

I can't believe 70 was a TS; they must not have paid attention to the 2012 part of the clue?

I ran riots, first touches, and cars and got all but one in "neg" and versions, so if not for TV I'd have kicked ass in the first round, but I missed three of those.

In DJ, I ran words within words and no caps and got all but one in nature and England.  I  missed three in books and two in movies, so pop culture was once again my weak point, but that's still plenty decent for DJ.

It took me pretty much all of the Think music, but I wound up getting FJ (although wouldn't have had time to write it down if I was playing in the game).  "Bob" finally popped into my head as a word for cutting short, and then I thought of bobby socks right away.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2