Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Queen Latifah, who plays The Equalizer on TV, has a long term relationship, but I still figured they wanted Denzel, even though I know zero about his personal life.

I didn't know about Bezos giving Dolly Parton money, but Dolly has been getting a lot of attention in the past few years for her charitable activities, and her nearly universal personal appeal to widely divergent groups of people, so that's how I guessed for Monday's FJ. She's loved by drag queens and country music fans. She funded vaccine research, gives books to children, runs an amusement park, and agrees with Black Lives Matter. It's a very wide constituency.

• Like 7
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Spinal Tap” for that same Irish band.

That's another thing that annoyed me... MIchael McKean's last name has 3 syllables - I've always heard it pronounced mick-KEE-un - and Mayim, who gets the answers in advance and should learn how to pronounce stuff, says, "Mick KEEN."  Lady, you're probably used to your last name being slaughtered, too - doesn't it bother you that people can't be arsed to get the pronunciation correct?  DON'T screw around with people's names.

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Monday’s FJ was my least favorite kind. Unless you saw the news story (I didn’t), there was no real way to figure it out.

I had never heard the news story but I immediately answered Dolly Parton. Just the way the clue was written about heart and giving sounded like something she would do. 🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, SHD said:

can forgive a lot of seemingly nonsensical answers but can’t forgive someone answering “The Replacements” when the question is about a fictional Irish band. LOL 

Well the correct answer was “The Commitments” which is a similar word to “Replacements” and when the right answer was given you could hear the champ go “ahh!” I think it was just one of those times when you know the answer but your brain makes you say something similar instead.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Monday’s FJ was my least favorite kind. Unless you saw the news story (I didn’t), there was no real way to figure it out. I like the ones with a backdoor clue, so even if you don’t know the answer, you can make a reasonable guess. I threw a dart and hit Lady Gaga, just like Ben, and for probably the same reason: none. 

Or “Spinal Tap” for that same Irish band.

I’m not going to defend Tym, but he seemed rattled from the start. He kept jumping in before being called, and when he started to dig a hole, visible panic set in. By the time he was -$5k, he looked like he wanted to vomit. I almost felt bad for him, but then I caught another look at the spelling of his name. Whatever, Tymbo.

Lady Gaga is a great guess. I landed on Taylor Swift, with the reasoning that she’s a charitable sort who seems genuinely kind.

Unless I know that Tym is willfully spelling his name differently, I can’t blame him for that. If his parents named him Tym/Tymothy/Tymothi, that’s on them.

• Like 4
(edited)

I'm fine with accepting ping pong as a correct response - it's what I first thought of before I went with table tennis. I just wonder if they would have accepted it since if you look up Olympic sports on the Olympic website, table tennis is what's listed. However considering some of the responses that have been accepted lately it's hard to say what the judges would have ruled.

By the way, when I looked up the difference between ping pong and table tennis I found that "ping pong is most commonly used for the "garage-style" casual sport, whilst table tennis is the competitive, Olympic sport". And as ams1001 posted upthread there were trademark issues involved in the move from calling it table tennis instead of ping pong.

Edited by chicagofan
  • Like 2
  • Useful 3
5 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I had never heard the news story but I immediately answered Dolly Parton. Just the way the clue was written about heart and giving sounded like something she would do. 🤷‍♀️

Well the correct answer was “The Commitments” which is a similar word to “Replacements” and when the right answer was given you could hear the champ go “ahh!” I think it was just one of those times when you know the answer but your brain makes you say something similar instead.

That’s what happened to my brain.  My first thought was “Replacements!” followed quickly by, “No, wait!  It’s the other one — !”. Then Mayim gave the correct response.

• Love 1

My thoughts on Tom are about the same as many of yours. You know a contestant is smart to make it to the stage and then something must have just snapped. How embarrassing for him. 
I got ciabatta, birds, Monserrat, and the Falkland Islands. I have issues with picturing spacial areas so I was way off in my FJ guess. So way off that I answered Beach Volleyball 😂 I also would have gotten Po had I understood the all the clues rhymed with no. 

• Like 4

An okay game for me, but not really great to watch.

I got the ts's or missed DDs of ciabatta, birds, Christopher Wren, Promontory Pt., library paste, and Pitcairn.

I'm another one who went with curling for FJ - in my defence I've never curled and am not the greatest at envisioning spaces. 0/2 so far this week, hope tonight is better.

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

That's another thing that annoyed me... MIchael McKean's last name has 3 syllables - I've always heard it pronounced mick-KEE-un - and Mayim, who gets the answers in advance and should learn how to pronounce stuff, says, "Mick KEEN."  Lady, you're probably used to your last name being slaughtered, too - doesn't it bother you that people can't be arsed to get the pronunciation correct?  DON'T screw around with people's names.

As someone whose first name gets butchered frequently and whose last name is often mispronounced (but in a logical way, so it doesn't bother me as much; there's an 'ie' in the middle that most people want to pronounce 'ee-ay' when we just pronounce it as 'ee', making the full name three syllables, but if we were still in Italy I'm sure it would be four, so at least it makes sense), I try my best to learn proper pronunciations of people's names. The only easy part of my name is my middle name, which is apparently the most common girl's middle name in the US...but most people don't see that.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, SeanC said:

"Everything is legal in New Jersey!"

The two contestants citing Jamaica and Australia as still being under British rule, LOL.

Well, they are still in the British commonwealth.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Trey said:

I got the ts's or missed DDs of ciabatta, birds, Christopher Wren, Promontory Pt., library paste, and Pitcairn.

I'm another one who went with curling for FJ - in my defence I've never curled and am not the greatest at envisioning spaces.

I found myself wondering what Paul Hollywood would have said about that image of the ciabatta... I learned on GBBO that ciabatta means 'slipper' and it was named that because of it's shape, the image was of square rolls and though I'm sure they are technically ciabatta I wonder why they didn't show some in the traditional shape?

your statement about curling was -exactly- mine! I also thought curling and I am the worst about envisioning spaces, or heights, or weights. I watch a lot (a lot!) of mystery shows and every time someone describes the height/weight of someone they saw fleetingly I am astounded. The most I can do is imagine a football field if someone is describing a length in yards.

• Like 3
(edited)
On 6/20/2023 at 4:40 PM, dgpolo said:

That's two contestants in the past week or so that tried to answer without waiting for Mayim to acknowledge them as the person to ring in first.

Who was the other? I don't remember it happening before. Maybe Tym's was just more obvious and egregious to me.

On 6/20/2023 at 6:10 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I decided with only 45 sq ft, the playing field must be long & skinny, so I said, "Curling!" with an amazing amount of confidence.  I'll go lick my wounds now...

I also went with long and skinny - but chose (of all things) BOWLING !!! 🤣

On 6/20/2023 at 6:23 PM, secnarf said:

I surprised myself and even decided that the object in question was probably 9x5 feet. I too said ping pong and am marking it correct.

For everyone in the FJ Contest - Ping Pong will absolutely be accepted as correct, trade mark and garage playing differences be damned. So take your asterisks this week.

On 6/20/2023 at 6:25 PM, SomeTameGazelle said:

I try very hard to be charitable about contestants and their foibles and weaknesses, but I cheered aloud at several points when Tym lost money (especially saying 100 instead of 101) because his introduction, anecdote, and responding not once but twice without waiting for Mayim to call on him had alienated me so badly.

Never have I ever cheered as a contestant got deeper in the hole. (Takes a drink). I also try hard to be charitable, and I should feel bad, and I do, but only a smidge. I wish I felt worse about it. But boy, he just tweaked all my kneejerk responses to certain types of people. Plus he was rude (responding w/o waiting to be called)

Any architect in the 1600s, I always say Wren.

Not one, but two of our favorite movies mentioned: That Thing You Do (just rewatched a little while ago), and The Committments. Yay!

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Never have I ever cheered as a contestant got deeper in the hole. (Takes a drink). I also try hard to be charitable, and I should feel bad, and I do, but only a smidge. I wish I felt worse about it. But boy, he just tweaked all my kneejerk responses to certain types of people. Plus he was rude (responding w/o waiting to be called)

If Tym is mortified by the negative feedback I will feel terrible, but if he dismisses us as hidebound conservative J fans who just can't handle it I will revel in the Schadenfreude and laugh again. 

• Like 8
12 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Who was the other? I don't remember it happening before. Maybe Tym's was just more obvious and egregious to me.

I want to say it was Helen? but I'm not sure, I'll try to check in a bit. I know it was a woman and I think she won a game, but again, not sure. I just remember thinking 'hold your horses, someone else might have buzzed first!'

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I also went with long and skinny - but chose (of all things) BOWLING !!! 🤣

For everyone in the FJ Contest - Ping Pong will absolutely be accepted as correct, trade market and garage playing differences be damned. So take your asterisks this week.

Any architect in the 1600s, I always say Wren.

Not one, but two of our favorite movies mentioned: That Thing You Do (just rewatched a little while ago), and The Committments. Yay!

I am still broken hearted about Adam Schlesinger.

• Hugs 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

His was. I found Holly started to say Who was..just as Mayim was saying her name, Holly even said sorry. Answer was Who was Lovecraft. I thought she did it once more but couldn't find it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, Bklyndeb said:

I am still broken hearted about Adam Schlesinger.

Me too.

11 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

His was. I found Holly started to say Who was..just as Mayim was saying her name, Holly even said sorry. Answer was Who was Lovecraft. I thought she did it once more but couldn't find it.

An "I'm Sorry" would have an impact on my unfortunate response to him.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Driad said:

We won't see Tym again unless they have a tournament for Biggest Losers (better names welcome, since they won't do this).

That would be...interesting... 

The Jeopardy Snoozefest?

• LOL 3
15 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

The Jeopardy Snoozefest?

I don't think I would snooze through a losers' tournament.  Laugh, cry, throw things, or switch channels, probably.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

Looking at the J! Archive, I did better than I thought I did, especially in the J round. Sucked a bit in DJ, but still wasn't as bad as I initially thought.

Ran "-Ologies" and got 4 in "Collect 'Em All" and "The 'Silver' State". TSs were decoys and etymology.

In DJ I only had one good category - "History Is Elemental". Got 4 1/2 right there - got the 'Iron' half of 'Iron Chancellor', but couldn't get past Kaiser in my brain to pull out Chancellor for the other half. 🤷‍♀️ TSs were Uncle Tom's Cabin, computer program, Dead Sea Scrolls and Manolo Blahnik.

FJ was an instaget, although I had my doubts. I couldn't think of any sea or bay or other body of water that it could be so I stayed with the Indian and Pacific Oceans. 3 for 3 in FJs this week - woo-hoo!

• Like 4

June 21:

77% / 47% / 62%

Finally a decent round this week! Ran Misheard Lyrics, missed one each in Collect 'Em All, Ologies, Nevada, and "Silver" State, and three in Official Nicknames. 

Then DJ came along…missed one in Discovery & Invention, two in Alliteration, three in History is Elemental, Celebs, and Shoe Gazing, and four in The Plot Thickens.

I got FJ, though! 3 for 3 so far this week!

My TSes were decoys, Kazakhstan, divorce, computer program, and Dead Sea Scrolls. And half of Iron Chancellor (also couldn't think of anything but Kaiser.)

Only 15 missed clues tonight…five in J!, and eight in DJ plus both DDs. (I can't even yell at them for missing all but one in the Lit category, because I did, too.)

• Like 5

I said pacific and southern oceans.

I got the missed clues of Kazakhstan, etymology, Kim, computer program, Iron chancellor, dead sea scrolls and Macchu pichu

• Like 6

In -ologies, the clue was:

"They're the largest of the creatures that are studied in cetology"

Nabeela said, "Whales." Mayim said, "Yes, Blue Whales." 

Shouldn't she have asked for a BMS there, especially as her answer sheet said "Blue Whales?" The clue would seem to be looking specifically for the largest whale, hence the Blue Whale.

• Like 18
2 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

In -ologies, the clue was:

"They're the largest of the creatures that are studied in cetology"

Nabeela said, "Whales." Mayim said, "Yes, Blue Whales." 

Shouldn't she have asked for a BMS there, especially as her answer sheet said "Blue Whales?" The clue would seem to be looking specifically for the largest whale, hence the Blue Whale.

I just laughed and laughed and thought of Alan Davies.  If you've ever watched Q.I., you know that he frequently answers ANY question with "Blue Whale."

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, Driad said:

We won't see Tym again unless they have a tournament for Biggest Losers (better names welcome, since they won't do this).

TripleStumperpalooza

• Applause 3
  • LOL 8
(edited)

I started out strong and ran the Misheard Lyrics and Silver State, but none in DJ. My TSs were decoy, divorce, Iron Chancellor, Dead Sea Scrolls, and Machu Picchu. I saved my week (so far) by getting FJ correct. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Autocorrect made me look like a dunce for spelling.
  • Like 2

Whew! I finally broke my FJ losing streak since June 1!
Indian Ocean and Pacific seemed too well-known, even for "larger bodies" of water, but I guess having to come up with 2 was supposed to make it harder? 
IDK. There are fewer of those kind of "larger bodies" of water than there are continents. I guess I'm suffering from a bit of Imposter's Syndrome, heh.

I also got 2 TSs: Etymology and Uncle Tom's Cabin

Yesterday I neglected to realize FJ was a math problem (square root) and first guessed Frisbee and then Curling. 
Apparently in 2015 Ultimate Frisbee was determined by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to be "eligible" as an Olympic sport, but it has never been an Olympic sport (usatoday.com/story/sports/2023/06/14/ultimate-frisbee-what-to-know-about-non-contact-sport/70323235007). 
But, yeah. Neither Ultimate (Frisbee) nor Curling could be played on a Ping Pong-sized table unless there was a "miniature" version.
I think I was picturing 45 x 45 yards.

Like others, yesterday I found myself judging the spelling of "Tym" after he performed so poorly, even while I felt sorry for him getting something like stage fright on national television. 

Can any of the people here who have been on Jeopardy! explain what prevents players from blurting out answers too early? Is it just that they are told to wait until called upon? If so, is there some other signal that occurs before they are called upon? I mean, is there anything that could have been wrong with his signaling device or...?

• Like 4

"Only" 13 TS and two missed DDs tonight.  I was surprised etymology was a TS and that no one guessed Dead Sea Scrolls for something noteworthy written in Hebrew and found in Jerusalem (even I took a swing at that one!).  And I guess none of them are fans of old Hollywood, to know why the stars trotted off to Reno when they wanted a divorce.

I came so close to running the entire first round, but I couldn't come up with silver surfer and had no idea on the Dr. Who villains.

In DJ, I was almost as bad as the contestants in the plot category; I got Uncle Tom's Cabin, but missed all the others they did.  Other than that, though, I did very well -- I ran alliteration, discoveries, and shoes, and got all but one in elemental.  I should have also got all but one in celebrities, but I couldn't get Shaun White's name out of a dusty corner of my brain so I missed two (I had no idea who Gabby Reece is married to).

FJ was an instaget, so it would have been one of my best games if not for that one category.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

"Only" 13 TS and two missed DDs tonight.  I was surprised etymology was a TS

Well I very confidently said “entomology” so…

Very surprised and pleased to get FJ due to lack of knowledge of any other bodies of water it could potentially be. 

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I should have also got all but one in celebrities, but I couldn't get Shaun White's name out of a dusty corner of my brain

I came up with Shaun/Sean and even Flying Tomato but couldn't remember White.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
6 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Well I very confidently said “entomology” so…

I always have to pause before saying either one, to make sure I don't mix them up.  I was kind of expecting a contestant to do just that.  But I wasn't expecting the three of them to stand there silently since etymology is so frequently a J! category.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 5
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said pacific and southern oceans.

I got the missed clues of Kazakhstan, etymology, Kim, computer program, Iron chancellor, dead sea scrolls and Macchu pichu

Better than pacific and Atlantic. Where does he think new Zealand is located?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Whew! I finally broke my FJ losing streak since June 1!
Indian Ocean and Pacific seemed too well-known, even for "larger bodies" of water, but I guess having to come up with 2 was supposed to make it harder? 
IDK. There are fewer of those kind of "larger bodies" of water than there are continents. I guess I'm suffering from a bit of Imposter's Syndrome, heh.

At least you didn’t say Australia was next to the Atlantic! 😂

• Like 2
7 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I came up with Shaun/Sean and even Flying Tomato but couldn't remember White.

I only remembered Flying Tomato.  I wonder if that would have been accepted?

• Applause 1
9 hours ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

There are many types of whales, I totally agree it should have been a BMS.

Unless “whales” in general meet the criteria, and blue whales are just the biggest of the big? I have no idea.

FJ: Pacific and…. ? (At least I didn’t say Atlantic.)

• Like 3
2 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Unless “whales” in general meet the criteria, and blue whales are just the biggest of the big? I have no idea.

That may be it. Cetology is the study of cetaceans, which is the group that consists of whales, dolphins, and porpoises.

I think that the answer sheet which the host is working from sometimes lists acceptable alternate answers, so it's entirely possible that they wanted "blue whale," but "whale" alone was listed as acceptable.

Without being able to see that answer sheet, I'm not sure we should blame the host for accepting a response that seems questionable, rather than the judges and/or writers.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Can any of the people here who have been on Jeopardy! explain what prevents players from blurting out answers too early?

I believe that there is something that prevents players from ringing in until the question is completely read (I know, that wasn't your question). As to the "don't answer until called upon"...I believe there has been a couple of times when someone answered without being called upon and they were not the first to ring in, so no credit for them (presumably the person who was first knew the answer anyway, but if not, the "second" player just told them the answer. And yes, they did not throw out the question; they let the person who actually rang in first answer). So, while there I don't think there is a "signal" that you can answer, it would be in your best interest to wait until you are called upon to make sure you are indeed the first to buzz in. 

And, yes, I probably could have given a shorter answer to your question. This is why I don't tweet!

• Like 4
  • Wink 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

That wasn't too bad a game to watch.

I got the ts's or missed DDs of decoys, etymology, divorce, Kim, Dead Sea Scrolls, and Macchu Pichu.

For FJ I said Coral Sea and Pacific Ocean - I don't know why Coral Sea seemed like a good answer (it doesn't even go as far south as the area in question) but it sounded good to me last night.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 1
(edited)

How I remember entomology v etomology.  Insect and entomology both have N.  I also said Flying Tomato Shaun something.

Edited by PaulaO
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

How I remember entomology v etomology.  Insect and entomology both have N.  I also said Flying Tomato Shaun something.

Very similar to how I remember which is which - ants are insects so I think of the word as "antomology".  And I hope I remember the correct word if it ever comes up in conversation.😀

I have never heard of Flying Tomato for Shaun White - I could only remember his last name which was enough.

• Applause 2
16 hours ago, chicagofan said:

In DJ I only had one good category - "History Is Elemental". Got 4 1/2 right there - got the 'Iron' half of 'Iron Chancellor', but couldn't get past Kaiser in my brain to pull out Chancellor for the other half. 🤷‍♀️ TSs were Uncle Tom's Cabin, computer program, Dead Sea Scrolls and Manolo Blahnik.

I did the same with "Iron". I got Uncle Tom's Cabin on a total guess since I've never read it, and don't know anything about the plot - but "abolition" got me there.

I ran two categories in the Jeopardy round (Silver, Collect them All) I would have run Misheard Lyrics, but my husband beat me to Queen.

I did pretty well in DJ, but didn't run anything. It's the best game I've had in a long while.

Bodies of waters are not my thing, but I did get Pacific - though not the Indian. Oh well.

• Like 4
(edited)

Wasn't the FJ question which two oceans surround Australia or something similar? As there are only 4 actual oceans to choose from and it's obviously not the Arctic ocean the odds of getting it right are 50/50 if you know one of them for sure so the answer of Atlantic ocean isn't as ridiculous as some are making it out to be.

I knew one was the Indian ocean & by a process of elimination got that the Pacific had to be the other.

Yes I know that there is what is now called the Southern ocean but that is quite a new one and historically there have only ever been 4.

Edited by Shrek
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Wasn't the FJ question which two oceans surround Australia or something similar? As there are only 4 actual oceans to choose from and it's obviously not the arctic ocean the odds of getting it right are 50/50 if you know one of them for sure so the answer of Atlantic ocean isn't as ridiculous as some are making it out to be.

I knew one was the Indian ocean & by a process of elimination got that the Pacific had to be the other.

They added a 5th ocean in 1999--the southern ocean. And, no the question didn't mention oceans, but larger body of water.  I was thinking 2 oceans would be too obvious, maybe bays or seas.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3