Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Aww… I love Gordon Lightfoot. He’s one of my favorite radio singalongs.

In response to the clue “This wild dog of Australia rarely barks but it does howl like a wolf”, I yelled “And it also eats babies!!” So, yeah. I think we’re coming from the same place.

TSs for me were Rudimentary and Adam’s Rib. Love the old bantering romantic comedies. 

FJ was a tag team get between me and Mr. Helens. I immediately threw out DTaP, and he jumped on Pertussis. But I’m claiming it because I would have landed there, too.

I also have to note that Mayim did not disappoint in providing a good start to my daily drinking game. I don’t remember what Kevin talked about for his contestant interview, but it was definitely “Awesome!”

My favorite "dingo ate my baby" joke (ugh, that sounds awful) was on Frasier with the "flour child" episode. Eddie the dog chewed up Niles's flour sack baby.

I've noticed Mayim's chuckles and giggles with irritation also, but they're not as frequent as before. As for "Awesome," we used to gripe about Alex's "Good for you!" I personally would be hard pressed to come up with non-repetitive ways to wrap up a one-minute interview.

• Like 5

Catching up on last night's game via the archive today. 

FJ was an instaget, though like some others, I couldn't decide whether to say pertussis or whooping cough.  I was glad to see that either was acceptable.

I also got the TS of Robert De Niro, Republic, Adam's Rib, and Zurich.  I should have gotten Tasmanian Devil, and might have done if I'd watched the show instead of read the clues.

(edited)
On 5/2/2023 at 11:12 AM, Driad said:

A moment to remember Gordon Lightfoot, who wrote and performed "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald."

I had to smile, sad as it is. He's immortalized on our forum.

On 5/2/2023 at 4:35 PM, Katy M said:

I said measles. I didn't think that was a respiratory disese, but I couldn't get MMR out of my head after she said it was combined with 2 others.

<snip>

I saw a tasmanian devil at a wildlife park in Australia. He ran around and around and around and around and around and aroudn and around in circles.  I was exhausted just watching him for two minutes.

I had DPT in my head, but couldn't remember if it (diphtheria, edited for clarity) was a respiratory illness (though I did remember a description of it that was chilling). I went with pertussis because at least I knew it was respiratory.

As for the tasmanian devil - it's good to know the cartoon version was based on some reality. 😆

On 5/2/2023 at 4:44 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm still watching, but I call foul already. The battle was in the village of Appomattox Court House, not a courthouse in Appomattox.

Said the same.

On 5/2/2023 at 8:16 PM, chicagofan said:

Whenever there's a dingo clue I always yell out "A dingo ate my baby!" - just can't help myself.

I know, it is a go too. But it makes me feel guilty, since eventually they discovered that it was in fact true.

On 5/2/2023 at 8:42 PM, 30 Helens said:

I also have to note that Mayim did not disappoint in providing a good start to my daily drinking game. I don’t remember what Kevin talked about for his contestant interview, but it was definitely “Awesome!”

She said it at least twice in the interview. It annoys, but maybe because I really don't like the word rather than the fact she repeats it.

Not a spectacular game, but I got FJ, so I'm good.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 5
17 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I had the same dilemma. I figured it was one of the DTP, and I know tetanus isn’t respiratory. I was a little more sure of pertussis than diphtheria, so fortunately I went with the right one. 

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I had DPT in my head, but couldn't remember if it was a respiratory illness (though I did remember a description of it that was chilling). I went with pertussis because at least I knew it was respiratory.

Sorry, I may have introduced some confusion with my earlier comment.  I was referring to the combined Diphtheria/Tetanus/Pertussis vaccine (variously formulated as DTP, DPT, or TDaP).  Didn't mean to say that DTP was a single illness.

(edited)
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Sorry, I may have introduced some confusion with my earlier comment.  I was referring to the combined Diphtheria/Tetanus/Pertussis vaccine (variously formulated as DTP, DPT, or TDaP).  Didn't mean to say that DTP was a single illness.

Never thought you meant tthat they were one illness. I left out the word diphtheria when I said I couldn't remember if "it" was respiratory. 

I knew what I meant, I just forgot to be explicit. Sorry 😔

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 1
4 hours ago, Deskisamess said:

Pulled up Monday and Tuesday's episodes from the dvr, saw MB, and turned it off. She ruins the show for me.

I ff’d to FJ for the FJ contest thread but same as far as Mayim ruining the show. I like her very much as an actress but find her lacking a a J host. But I will watch the Masters despite Mayim hosting because of the contestants. Maybe she’ll win me over as a host then. 

• Like 2

May 3:

53% / 53% / 54%

Sigh. In J! I ran USS, missed two Literary Characters, and three in everything else. In DJ I ran "D" Tour, missed two in Sax and Homophones, three in Historic Americans and Theater, and four in Gold.

FJ was an instaget. Came across that bit of trivia a few months ago.

Got all the DDs and the missed clues Elizabeth Bennett (surprised no one at least guessed that from Mr. Darcy) and Clarence Clemons (being from Bruce's hometown, I'd have to move if I didn't get that one).

Is it just me or are there a lot of anagrams lately?

Sorry to see Kevin go but I like Hannah.

For more on the Edmund Fitzgerald (I've seen it before since I watch her channel but it was the second video linked in the sidebar when I played the Gordon Lightfoot video):

I forgot that the wreck happened just a little over a month after I was born...

• Like 3

I got FJ because I said KFC has 11 herbs and spices.  Yay me.

the only missed clues I got was Eliabeth Bennett.

I gotthe entire categories of Mixology, lit characters and D tour right.

• Like 5
39 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ because I said KFC has 11 herbs and spices.  Yay me.

the only missed clues I got was Eliabeth Bennett.

I gotthe entire categories of Mixology, lit characters and D tour right.

I vaguely remember KFC following 11 herbs and spices but I thought it was longer ago than 2023.

And I knew the Big Man Clarence Clemons. 

• Like 3

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  And I believe it was longer ago than 2023, since I am sure I heard about it more than four months ago.  I thought it was hilarious at the time, and I still do.

I also got the TS of Elizabeth Bennett, tailhook, Clarence Clemons, and sluice box.

• Like 3

For FJ, the acronym KFC actually did pass before my eyes, but I ignored it and went with Ben & Jerry's.  

The TSs I almost got in time (LOL) were Sluice and Elizabeth Bennet (I got as far as Pride and Prejudice).

The new champ seems like a potentially formidable Jeopardy! opponent, but there wasn't too much pop culture, so we shall see.

• Like 4
(edited)

I'm a bit surprised no one knew tailhook, even with a picture.  I guess that's nowhere near as common knowledge as I thought it was.  Then again, maybe I've only known it for so long because because my dad had been to a convention in the '80s (he was a program manager with a defense contractor).  I guess the scandal was before their time, and even if they've watched the Top Gun movies I don't think the apparatus is named.  So I've talked myself out of my surprise.

I was bummed no one knew Charlie Parker or Clarence Clemons (but I joined them in being stumped by Joshua Redman).

The only literary character I got was the one who stumped them all -- Elizabeth Bennet.  If not for that category, I'd have had a decent first round; I ran breaks, -ology, and aircraft carrier, got all but one in "uss" and missed two in John C. Reilly.

Because of that disaster category, it was one of those odd games where I did better in DJ; I ran Historic Americans and homophones, and got all but one in "D", sax, and gold.  The two I missed in theater were both TS, so I was in good company.

I thought I was doomed in FJ based on the category - I know very little about social media and am very hit and miss in business - but it turned out to be an instaget.  Well, an instaguess I figured had to be right.  (Also, that's pretty funny, following six Herbs and the five Spice Girls members.  According to this article it started in 2017, and they rewarded the person who noticed it.)

Edited by Bastet
Thanks for correcting the spelling of Bennet's name (I've never read it, just know the story)
  • Like 6
6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I left out the word diphtheria when I said I couldn't remember if "it" was respiratory. 

That’s what gave me a moment of pause, too. What *is* diphtheria, anyway?

I was offended by the TS for Clarence Clemons. How can you not know The Big Man? (Although I’m sure some would be offended by my lack of knowledge about Joshua Redman. Charlie Parker, I got, despite not being a jazz fan.)

FJ was not an instaget, but I got there by focusing on the “11” part of the clue and realizing it must refer to 11 herbs and spices. (My favorite kind of FJ win— one I have to figure out.) I was mystified by the celebrities mentioned until Mayim explained it, then I was mad at myself for not figuring that part out, too. 

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

What *is* diphtheria, anyway?

Per the CDC: "Diphtheria is a serious infection caused by strains of bacteria called Corynebacterium diphtheriae that make toxin. It can lead to difficulty breathing, heart rhythm problems, and even death."

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Could not put all the pieces together in FJ today - 11, "Spice" Girls and "Herb" Alpert. For lack of a better answer I just blurted out Taco Bell - at least they're owned by the same company.

Only 2 TSs today - Elizabeth Bennet (one T only) and True West Side Story. Only positive thing today was getting 4 right in "D" Tour and Theater Before and After.

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, chicagofan said:

Could not put all the pieces together in FJ today - 11, "Spice" Girls and "Herb" Alpert. For lack of a better answer I just blurted out Taco Bell - at least they're owned by the same company.

Ha same! I knew it had something to do with spices and could only think of Taco Bell.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I have no idea who Clarence Clemons is, never heard of him.

me neither.  also had no idea who the person was that was a whole category in the jeopardy round

• Mind Blown 1
1 minute ago, cinsays said:

me neither.  also had no idea who the person was that was a whole category in the jeopardy round

John C. Reilly?  He's one of those "Oh, it's THAT guy" actors.  You've seen him before, but can't remember where or know his name.

• Like 5
11 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Ha same! I knew it had something to do with spices and could only think of Taco Bell.

Same method of thought got me to Chipotle. LOL

(edited)
32 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

John C. Reilly?  He's one of those "Oh, it's THAT guy" actors.  You've seen him before, but can't remember where or know his name.

He was NOT the grouchy doctor on Scrubs. Now I feel really stupid.

My only ts was Elizabeth Bennet.

I'm relieved to see others also didn't get FJ.  I felt so stupid once it was revealed. 

Edited by Trey
  • Like 2

Yeah John c McGinley is the grouchy scrubs doctor. Also was one of the bobs in office space and a bunch of other stuff. 

John c Reilly is the schlubby sidekick man. Stepbrother, talladega nights, boogie nights, others. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I know John C Reilly and can recognize him (by name) in everything I see him in. However, I apparently don't know anything about him (and didn't see Chicago, so I missed that clue). I did know the Stan and Ollie clue, because I've been planning to see the film, but haven't gotten around to it.

Other than almost running "D" Tour (missing, of all things, Dijon!), it was a mediocre game, and no Fj.

And that's all I have to say about that. 😉

• Like 2
4 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I have no idea who Clarence Clemons is, never heard of him.

Saxophonist for the E Street Band, Bruce Springsteen’s backup band.  That’s him wailing the sax on “Born to Run”. Along with Steven Van Zandt (also known as Little Steven; you might know him from his role as Silvio on The Sopranos), Clarence was one of the more prominent and well known members of the band. He died about a decade ago, and his nephew took his position in the band.

And now you know more about Clarence Clemons than you probably ever wanted to! 😉

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2

I know it's hard to think of things to say in response to the contestant stories, and Alex wasn't great at that, either. But the way to do it is to prepare in advance, which Ken obviously does, and it really does make a difference.

Mayim not doing it, after seeing that Ken does, to me just speaks to her punching the clock for the paycheck and not caring at all about doing more than the minimum.

I am terrible at small talk, but I don't have a job as a host, and I have really worked at being prepared when I think I am going to have to do it in other contexts. There's a kind of carelessness to how Mayim is handling her job here, and to me it seems arrogant.

Her nervous laughing is also really noticeable, and you'd think a professional actor would have more control over her affect. 

I really tried to like her, but even though I think she's gotten better, it reeks of not really trying that hard, and only doing what she's told she has to, and it's annoying me.

She did the same thing with her wardrobe-- refusing to take direction until press reports came out about it saying she wouldn't, and then voila! Suddenly her clothes are obviously different. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 4

My husband and I started watching a few seasons back and when we started, it was all Mayim.  We really liked her and thought she was doing a great job.  We couldn't understand the criticism that I would read here and elsewhere.  And then Ken showed up.  What a difference.  Night and day!  Ken is an absolute natural at this job.  He is able to think quickly on his feet and by doing so, he is able to make off the cuff funny and often times even snarky little quips and responses that only a natural can. 

I also find it annoying the way Mayim laughs and giggles a lot, especially during the "meet the contestants" bit (which I quite frankly, could do without.)  I always say to my husband "what is so funny??"  But then I think I do this a lot, too.  Especially at work and/or awkward social settings.  I hear myself laughing nervously and hate myself for doing it and yet I cannot stop.  But then I am not getting paid big bucks to host Jeopardy.

The best way to describe the difference between the two is something I think I read here:  Ken is a tv game show host while Mayim is just playing one on tv.

• Like 11
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

O.k. but not great game today - did get all 3 DDs so that's something.

TSs were Second Corinthians, Mays, Grover Cleveland, New Zealand,  Elizabeth I and dome car.

Didn't get FJ - 1st thing I thought of was Hudson Bay and that's where my thought process ended.

Mayim's pauses were really noticeable at times, especially when ruling on the daily doubles. I knew I'd gotten them right, but her pauses almost made me second guess myself.

• Like 5

May 4:

63% / 47% / 55%

I hate this week (for several reasons). In J! I ran Facts & Figures, missed three Athletes and two in everything else. In DJ I missed one in Tower of London, two in Novels and Films, three Train Cars, and four in Science and Abbre'v'iations.

Did not get FJ but did get the TSes Mays, Germany, New Zealand, Elizabeth I, Henry VI, and Peasants' Revolt.

25 minutes ago, chicagofan said:

Didn't get FJ - 1st thing I thought of was Hudson Bay and that's where my thought process ended.

Same.

• Like 1

Is Hannah that quick on the buzzer or are the other contestants just slow?  The Jeopardy! round was Teen Tournament level but she was the only one to buzz in.  I still don’t like her but am afraid she’ll be around a while.  Let me know when it’s safe to watch again.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I still don’t like her but am afraid she’ll be around a while.  Let me know when it’s safe to watch again.

I don't dislike Hannah but I was rooting for the French accent. (Sorry, I came in late and already forgot her name.)

• Like 3

I'm glad Marie Claude ended up in second place.  For a while there I didn't think she was ever going to ring in.

My ts's or missed DD's were Mays, dome, Elizabeth I, Peasants' Revolt, and seismic.

I said Champlain for FJ and didn't move on from there.  I did not know the Bering Strait was so shallow. I was about 100 years off the correct answer but at least I don't think it's too embarrassing.

I believe Hannah has the stuff to go a long way.  Hope I didn't just jinx her.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Trey said:

I said Champlain for FJ and didn't move on from there.  I did not know the Bering Strait was so shallow. I was about 100 years off the correct answer but at least I don't think it's too embarrassing.

I was a little surprised by the correct response of Bering Strait for the same reason - didn't think it was that shallow. My thought was that it was something created by a glacier, but I too was off by 100+ years.

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I don't dislike Hannah but I was rooting for the French accent. (Sorry, I came in late and already forgot her name.)

Lol, every time the French accent lady spoke, she reminded me of the character who was Kat’s nemesis on Mayim’s series. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I went to Hudson Bay first, too, but then decided it probably isn't that shallow, and thought about shallow and formed during the Ice Age, which led me to the Bering Strait.  I have a vague recollection of learning that the glaciers wore away the land bridge?  I don't know -- it made sense in my head!  However I got there, I did write it down in plenty of time.

I also got the TS of Willie Mays (total guess), New Zealand, Germany, and dome car.  I was almost at Elizabeth I, but didn't quite get it out before Mayim said it.  There was another one I almost had, but I don't even remember what it was now.  

• Like 2

Since I'm going to be watching Top Chef tonight, I just checked the archive.

The wrong guesses for the WWII clue were doozies, especially Afghanistan!

The seismic TS surprised me a bit, as did dome and Mays.

I had a pretty good first round -- I even got all but two in Bible.  I ran Florida, facts & figures, and magazines, and got all but one in athletes and phrasing (and learned something new -- I'd never heard the expression "a shaggy dog story").

I did okay in DJ;  I ran novels and Tower of London (even having been there, I had to guess on a couple, but I guessed correctly) and got all but one in trains.  I missed two each in the rest.

FJ wasn't an instaget, but it didn't take me long to guess -- I just wasn't all that confident my guess was correct.  I'm glad I stuck with it.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
(edited)

FDR died in Georgia, so yeah...that sure was his last train destination (to the health spa in Warm Springs). Marie seemed out of it.  

Afghanistan????? And I was surprised no one knew Willie Mays. And dome car. Maybe the contestants were too young?

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)

Quite a payday for Hannah! I got the TS's of New Zealand and Germany. I also mistakenly answered Hudson Bay as the time line seemed right.

I also have never heard the term "shaggy dog story."

Edited by ECM1231
  • Like 2
6 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

Quite a payday for Hannah! I got the TS's of New Zealand and Germany. I also mistakenly answered Hudson Bay as the time line seemed right.

Me either....never heard of that.  

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

Just now, DrSpaceman73 said:

Me either....never heard of that.  

I’ve definitely heard of shaggy dog stories (or tales), but I don’t think I’ve heard of “take the starch out of” someone. I have heard that phrase with a different word from starch, though. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
1 minute ago, SoMuchTV said:

but I don’t think I’ve heard of “take the starch out of” someone. I have heard that phrase with a different word from starch, though. 

Yeah, me too. But I figured they wouldn't have that one on Jeopardy.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1