Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, Chippings said:

Have to admit I was rooting for Justin, partly because he seemed to be an endearing kid, but also because he's just a freshman -- i.e. had only had several months of college -- whereas his competitors were two or three years ahead of him.  I suppose many of the questions / answers aren't involving things you'd have specifically learned In College, but even so  That was impressive

I do question that they're putting him (and the celebrity winner) into the Tournament of Champions. I can't imagine either will do well against the powerhouses.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, SHD said:

I do question that they're putting him (and the celebrity winner) into the Tournament of Champions. I can't imagine either will do well against the powerhouses.

Justin should do as well as any College Tournament winner.  I don't know how the celebrity winner will do - I don't think they (whoever it is) should have been included in ToC.

• Like 5

Spoiler

I also got the TS of spleen, dustbuster, basal, open, Ruhr, and overture.  I should have gotten commencement, but it just wouldn't come to my brain in time.

I also got the TS of spleen, dustbuster, basal, open, Ruhr, and overture.  I should have gotten commencement, but it just wouldn't come to my brain in time.[/quote[

Spleen was not a TS.  It was a DD.  Jackson missed it.  The other two did not have an opportunity to respond, so it was not a TS.

Overture was not a TS.  Maya knew it.

Jackson's not knowing spleen cost him the championship.  He bet everything he had, which was $1,600.  If he had gotten it correct, he would have had $3,200 more than what he wound up having.  He wound up losing by $363.  I don't know why he said liver anyway, as the category was one-syllable body parts. 

Edited because I was quoting, not spoiling.

Edited by DedicatedFan
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, SHD said:

Ike Barinhotz was on one of the late night shows this week (Seth Meyers, I think). He seems to not expect to do so well against the 'real' J! players but he seems to have a good sense of humor about it, at least.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I am glad to have Ken and regular Jeopardy! back although I ended up liking the re-union tournament more than I thought I would.

I am still kicking myself for not getting FJ.  So obvious in hindsight - I should have realized the religion reasons were most important.  I could only think of William the Conqueror or Julius Caesar.

• Like 2

March 10:

73% / 50% / 61%

Not a great game...in J! I missed three in Hodgepodge and one in everything else, and in DJ I missed one in Literary Before & After, two in Getting Schooled and Tool Talk, and three in everything else. Did not get FJ and my only TS was Dan Brown bear.

Was rooting for either of the guys, didn't much care which one (though Nick was cute…).

If I heard correctly, one of the upcoming players is from my town! (Didn't recognize the name, though.)

• Like 2

I said Oliver Cromwell.  

I got the missed clue of Dan Brown Bear.

I got the entire categories of between stem and stern and before and after lit right.

So-so night but ended up in the hole, but not by a lot.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

The champion is ok. At least he doesn't have any irritating quirks. I was pulling for his two opponents. So...is it important for each contestant to applaud a fellow contestant for winning dd's?

People online will call them sore losers if they don't.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
13 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

What was up with Nick's right hand? I couldn't tell if he had a glove on it or he kept it in his sleeve.

I couldn't quite tell but it seems there was something going on there. I watched the intros and interview segment on youtube just now (with sound off) and except for when he was clapping he pretty much kept that arm down so his hand wasn't visible, but when he was talking during the interview bit (shown directly from the front for more than two seconds) it kind of looked like the entire right arm (especially the lower part) was smaller than the left. I wonder if he had an injury or some kind of issue in development.

• Like 1

I really took to Jannette, so was rooting for her.  I noticed she got beat on the buzzer quite a bit, so I wish she'd been able to at least keep it from being a lock game.

I was watching in the bedroom instead of the office (cat demanded early play time again), so I didn't keep track of my performance like I normally do.

I know I came very close to running the entire first round (I even managed to figure out all the TV shows despite not watching any of them; that was a fun category with the alternate titles).  The only miss I remember is Tommy Bahama.

I did well in DJ, too, but didn't get anywhere near that close.  I think I only ran tools and biology, but I also think I got all but one in most of the rest other than Before & After.  I missed most of those, but did get "Finnegans Wake Me Up Before You Go Go", which I found great fun even before enjoying the way Stephen spit it out.

Like the contestants, I didn't get FJ.

• Like 5

Humblebrag….I went to public school while my husband went to a fancy private school. So when I get FJ like today, I claim it as a win for public school kids. And we did study the religious underpinnings of William of Orange in my public school. 

Neither of us ever get those “combine two disparate things” categories. I blame cyclamates! 🤣

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

but did get "Finnegans Wake Me Up Before You Go Go", which I found great fun even before enjoying the way Stephen spit it out.

That was funny. I was looking at the reddit thread last night and there was this exchange between him and another poster:

image.thumb.png.36c7042ca9ddba4f0e75e33d0eb0ac77.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • LOL 5
On 3/9/2023 at 3:07 PM, ProudMary said:

Sadly, that ship has sailed. 😢

Very true, but that doesn't mean I can't still rage against the storm.

On 3/9/2023 at 8:09 PM, Bastet said:

but I joined the contestants in not knowing Mirror in the business category.  I'd never heard of it. 

I wasn't 100% sure if that was the name, but I've seen commercials for some kind of exercise mirror thing so I guessed that.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
On 3/10/2023 at 11:15 AM, SHD said:

They're putting the Celebrity Tournament winner in the TOC as well????  Way to completely disvalue the TOC.

On 3/10/2023 at 7:20 PM, Trey said:

I am still kicking myself for not getting FJ.  So obvious in hindsight - I should have realized the religion reasons were most important.  I could only think of William the Conqueror or Julius Caesar.

Me, too.  I tend to completely forget about the Glorious Revolution.  My only excuse is that it's a time period which doesn't much interest me.

On 3/12/2023 at 12:09 AM, 30 Helens said:

Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go and Faith… really, all the George Michael songs you ever need. 

Although you also need Father Figure, if only for the epic gunfight set to it in Keanu.

• Like 3
On 3/10/2023 at 11:15 AM, SHD said:

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

They're putting the Celebrity Tournament winner in the TOC as well????  Way to completely disvalue the TOC.

Huh, I guess I have less of a problem with this than some folks.  If they're truly incompetent, they can be cannon fodder in the first round.  On the other hand, if they overperform, they make a good story.  One of the celebrity contestants had qualified for the regular contestant pool (never actually appeared, though), and he wasn't even the best of the Celebrity contestants (based on the fact that he didn't win, which I'll grant does depend on a lot of factors).

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Yeah, take note they didn't say in advance they'd be putting the winner of Celebrity Jeopardy! into the ToC, they waited to see who went to the finals and how the winner performed.  Only when they saw it was won by someone who actually might not be utterly humiliated in a game with regular players did they invite the winner to the ToC.

The CJ! finale was great.  The winner had dominated their previous games, but in the final it went back and forth and wound up being decided by one dollar.  The celebrity champ is fully expecting to get beat handily in the ToC, but is a trivia participant and a fan of the regular show, so they'll prep as best they can.  I, too, expect them to go out in the first round, but I don't think they'll stand there mute the whole time like some of the CJ! players would have.

Edited by Bastet
I assume it's fine to name the CJ! winner, but just in case I won't spoil
  • Like 8
50 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Huh, I guess I have less of a problem with this than some folks.  If they're truly incompetent, they can be cannon fodder in the first round.  On the other hand, if they overperform, they make a good story.  One of the celebrity contestants had qualified for the regular contestant pool (never actually appeared, though), and he wasn't even the best of the Celebrity contestants (based on the fact that he didn't win, which I'll grant does depend on a lot of factors).

I think it depends on whether you are thinking from the perspective of being entertained as an audience member or the perspective of a non-celebrity 4 time champion who might be edged out by the inclusion of the celebrity.

Both Ike and Brendan did well enough that I am sufficiently curious to see how Ike stacks up against the regular TOC contestants. Maybe it would have been more fair to allow them to compete in regular play to try to earn a TOC spot but I don't feel especially strongly about it.    

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
Hitting quote instead of edit
  • Like 3
20 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I think it depends on whether you are thinking from the perspective of being entertained as an audience member or the perspective of a non-celebrity 4 time champion who might be edged out by the inclusion of the celebrity.

Based on what I'm hearing in the Inside Jeopardy podcast, nobody's getting edged out; they're (I'm not sure if this is the right way to describe it) developing the TOC to fit the contestants, not declaring the format of the TOC then picking contestants to fit it.  So I guess I can take them at their word, but I can understand some may see it differently.

• Like 3

March 13:

73% / 57% / 64%

Okay first round…ran Big Bang Theory, missed two Blankets and three Shakespeare and one each in the rest. In DJ I missed four Dynasties, one in Water, and two in everything else. Got all the DDs and the TS of weighted and electric blankets, Massachusetts, and Fun. Did not get FJ. 

The woman was from my town. Sorry she didn't do better (but I was rooting for the champ, anyway).

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I guessed FJ right.

I got the missed clues of hibiscus, Granada, Massachusetts and misappropriation.

I can never remember Friar Lawrence's name because clearly all friars should be named tuck.

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 2

I got FJ, but I had to a) do the math, and 2) think about it.  The correct response came to me in the nick of time.

I apparently missed the explanation for the blanket category -- I didn't get electric or weighted either, although I feel like I should have.

I did, however, get the TS of hibiscus, duvet, Grenada, Stone Temple Pilots, Massachusetts, and misappropriation.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

I enjoyed that a couple of “is it…?” responses were accepted. And for this one - “Nietzsche said that he who has a this 3-letter word to live for can put up with almost any "how" - would they have accepted just “why?”?

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I enjoyed that a couple of “is it…?” responses were accepted. And for this one - “Nietzsche said that he who has a this 3-letter word to live for can put up with almost any "how" - would they have accepted just “why?”?

As long as it is in the form of a question it doesn't matter it, what, who.

• Like 1

Ken saying of the first round category titles "I'm not sure I was the intended host" was funny. 

All three TS in the blanket category surprised me a bit; I think for the first two, they hadn't yet twigged to what the category meant. 

I almost ran the first round, but I missed one in blossom and two in Shakespeare.

I did quite well in DJ, too; I ran water, consonants, and governors and got all but one in deep thoughts. I missed two each in the others.

For FJ, for some reason my mind was initially trying to conjure up a poem from the 1960s civil rights movement.  When I actually did the math and corrected to 1950s, the Beats were my first thought, so I knew it had to be "Howl".

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I can never remember Friar Lawrence's name because clearly all friars should be named tuck.

I did the same thing! "No, that's not right."

My lack of Shakespeare knowledge is shameful and my college should probably take back my English Lit degree. 🙃 (I took Victorian lit and a whole class on Dickens but I'm actually not sure I even read any Shakespeare in college.)

18 minutes ago, Bastet said:

All three TS in the blanket category surprised me a bit; I think for the first two, they hadn't yet twigged to what the category meant. 

They started at the bottom and the first two clues chosen had actual clues beyond just a letter count, a letter or two, and a blank. When they got to the third clue it threw me because there was no other hint (just "D____ (5 letters)"); same with the next one but I did get the last one (which was the $200 clue).

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Katy M said:

I knew Friar Lawrence anyway, but I'm doing a production of Romeo and Juliet right now, so it was especially easy.

Although our Friar Lawrence is Mother Lawrence--feminism in the house, ya'll!

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
18 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

They're taking up space which should go to contestants who did well in actual Jeopardy games rather than the easy ass Celebrity games, imo.

13 hours ago, possibilities said:

I guess I'm the only person who recognized Absolut-ism. And i don't even drink!

I drink vodka, but not Absolut.  However, those Absolut ads were all over Entertainment Weekly when I still had a subscription to the magazine, so I got that one.

16 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Based on what I'm hearing in the Inside Jeopardy podcast, nobody's getting edged out; they're (I'm not sure if this is the right way to describe it) developing the TOC to fit the contestants, not declaring the format of the TOC then picking contestants to fit it.  So I guess I can take them at their word, but I can understand some may see it differently.

So basically they're still fucking around with the TOC format.  Wonderful. 🤬

14 hours ago, Katy M said:

I guessed FJ right.

So did I.  I started with On the Road but realized that wasn't a poem and then Howl came to mind and I went with it.  I hate the whole Beat thing, so that was a lucky guess for me.

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

I didn't get any of them.  Maybe if they'd started at the top of the category instead of the bottom . . .

11 hours ago, ams1001 said:

My lack of Shakespeare knowledge is shameful and my college should probably take back my English Lit degree.

I'm the one who always gets the Shakespeare clues correct.  Always.  Except this time when I missed both Twelfth Night and Friar Laurence.  Oy.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
17 hours ago, Katy M said:

Apparently that's what I believe too! 😆

16 hours ago, possibilities said:

I guess I'm the only person who recognized Absolut-ism. And i don't even drink!

Add "ism" to any word and my mind goes blank (well, existentialism stays there, and maybe a couple more, but there are just too many "isms" for me to keep track of)

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

Ken saying of the first round category titles "I'm not sure I was the intended host" was funny.

We thought that was funny too. Maybe it was due to the confusion as to when Mayim's gig for regular Jeopardy would start?

13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I did the same thing! "No, that's not right."

Exactly my words (and then my husband's words too).

Wasn't a great game for me. I was rooting for the woman because I'm not too fond of the champ, or the guy who nearly won. Though he did do a good smug face to fool us all. I'm not sure why the champ bugs, it's probable that he just reminds me of someone.

• Like 3

My only ts's were hibiscus and duvet. Karen said hydrangea, then it looked like she realized it was hibiscus and tried to change it but it was too late.

FJ was not an instaget until I did the math and then it was.  I've never read Howl.  I tried to read it last night but I will probably not finish it.

Edited by Trey
  • Like 3

At one point, the woman made her response and before she could correct it, Ken ruled her incorrect and then explained to her that he had already ruled before she made her correction.

Maybe *that's* why Mayim has all those hesitations - to give the contestants a chance to change their response.  Although, that doesn't explain why she hesitates when the response is right.

ETA: I was fruitlessly hoping that the category salute to Mayim was a salute to her leaving for good. LOL

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 5
3 hours ago, zapper said:

i found it interesting that they just zipped past the comment about his having a chihuahua that looks like a deer... 

There are two types of chihuahua heads...my baby was an apple; deer heads have less rounded noggins.

Apple-Head-vs-Deer-head-chihuahua-side-b

• Like 2
  • Useful 9
  • Love 1

Foul! I call foul! I distinctly heard the champ say "Gerrymandering", instead of "Gerrymander". With the "ing", it is not an 11-letter word and should have been called incorrect.

• Like 2