Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

It was an okay game for me. I got three in most categories, but sadly didn't run anything.

I almost missed Richard Bachman - which as a Stephen King reader would have been embarrassing. But it's because I don't like the Bachman books, so I don't automatically think of them. (I'm a fan, but not a fanatic)

Could not do the arithmetic to get to the Cantebury Cathedral. Oh well. One less FJ this week (in a week made up, so far, of no FJs)

• Like 3
16 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Got FJ!  just in time.  Visited Canterbury Cathedral a few years ago so I figured it out.  I can’t warm to the champ.  

It took me a moment but then I focused on the date, realized it was during the reign of Henry II and got it.  I went to Canterbury Cathedral back in 1995, partly to see the Black Prince's effigy.  Was there for evensong, which was a wonderful experience even for this atheist.  The acoustics were incredible.

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Could not do the arithmetic to get to the Cantebury Cathedral.

I recently used the quote from The Lion in Winter - "Of course he has a knife, he always has a knife, we all have knives! It’s 1183 and we’re all barbarians!” - in reference to House of the Dragon, so the math was a lot easier than usual for me.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I slept through the show, but looking at the archives, I'm sure I would have scared the cat by yelling out, "Harlan Ellison!!!!"  In my younger days, I owned every book of his ever published.

I remembered reading the story {shudder}, but couldn't recall the author.

I'd visited Canterbury and the Cathedral a couple of times, so FJ came pretty quickly.

I didn't get Ben Stiller's "joke."

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I remembered reading the story {shudder}, but couldn't recall the author.

I'd visited Canterbury and the Cathedral a couple of times, so FJ came pretty quickly.

I never read the story, but I saw the movie (pretty bad, as I recall, but still creepy).

I didn't either, thank you @SomeTameGazelle for explaining it.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I never read the story, but I saw the movie (pretty bad, as I recall, but still creepy).

The story was so much better (creepier!) than the movie. Although I loved the dog actor - he really seemed like he could have been telepathically saying those things.  He was based on HE's own dog, Abhu, who was the greatest judge of girlfriends. Ellison learned early on to trust Abhu's instinct. If the dog didn't like the woman, she turned out to be not the right woman for Ellison.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

That's the only one in that category I didn't get (if not for that and Neo in AKA, I'd have run the first round).  I've heard of Zach Galifianakis, but haven't seen him in anything and didn't even have a visual of him (I looked him up afterward), so I had no idea what the joke might be aimed at.  Unless they'd have accepted "yolks" rather than requiring the direct quote, I think that's a tough one because you'd have to know the specific joke to say "yellows" (rather than just guessing it was a crack at his build so it must be an egg yolk, rather than egg white, diet) and I don't think it's a quote that's widely out there in the culture.

• Like 3

I said Stephen Crane and then changed to Joseph Heller.  Sometimes changing my answer actually works out.

I got the missed clues of Blue Ridge Mountains, looking glass, Tereshkova, and Hans Holbein.

I got the entire category of T right.  I thought I was going to get the entire rainbow category right, but I had no idea on that 200 clue and said red.  I feel it's wrong to either only miss the top clue or only get the bottom clue in any given category.

• Like 2

For FJ, I said, "Oh it's the guy who wrote Catch-22!  Um, um, um, Heller!!!"  Just in the nick of time to write it down.  Go, me!

Very stupid DD wager by middle girl.  She could have had a runaway.

I only got two TS:  spider and Blue Ridge Mountains.  And I can't believe I missed Valentina Tereshkova AGAIN.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Geez...Melissa is causing me to have agita! In the last 5 minutes, Karen was looking like Eddie Cantor with her big eyes going from side to side. OK...did Ken actually say "long lived" with a long "i" in lived? I thought I was hearing things. Can't believe no one got looking glass.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

That...was kinda dumb.

When she found that dd I was starting to mentally add up what was left on the board but I probably wouldn’t have trusted my math, and just bet the minimum. In her (half hearted) defense, that seemed unusually tough for an $800 clue. And they spotted you the first name. I probably would’ve been (inappropriately) overconfident as well. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 2

March 22:

80% / 67% / 74%

Good first round, meh second round. Ran Long-Lived Critters and Apply The Rainbow Color, missed one in Around the House and At Last, and two in Possessive Lit and Sports Terms. In DJ I ran Move That T from Front to Back, missed one in Resilience, three Plateaus, and two in the rest. FJ was not quite an instaget only because I blanked on the author's name for several seconds, but I eventually got it out of my brain.

TSes were spider, Blue Ridge Mountains (DD), Valentina Tereshkova, mixing, and Holbein (DD).

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

When she found that dd I was starting to mentally add up what was left on the board but I probably wouldn’t have trusted my math, and just bet the minimum. In her (half hearted) defense, that seemed unusually tough for an $800 clue. And they spotted you the first name. I probably would’ve been (inappropriately) overconfident as well. 

When the clue came up Holbein was so obvious to me that I thought she would get it but then she paused with the pause of the blank (instead of the pause of the last minute double-check). 

For Final I knew that they wanted Heller but I have a glitch in my brain where Catch-22 and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest are sharing space so I had to push Kesey out of the way to get to it.

• Like 8
27 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

When the clue came up Holbein was so obvious to me that I thought she would get it but then she paused with the pause of the blank (instead of the pause of the last minute double-check). 

For Final I knew that they wanted Heller but I have a glitch in my brain where Catch-22 and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest are sharing space so I had to push Kesey out of the way to get to it.

I have the same Cuckoo/Catch glitch in my brain but managed to get the right one for once. But I couldn’t have picked Holbein out of a two option multiple choice. Guess I missed that day in art history. JK I never came close to taking art history. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 5

Was rooting for Karen until the bonehead wager on the DD. Then not so much.

Only got 50% in the J round and 50% in DJ - at least I was consistently mediocre today. There's always a couple you know but can't spit out in time like John Brown and Orange Julius amongst others, and I while I remembered Valentina's first name I couldn't come up with her last name - it's that Russian woman Valentina what's her name. And I guessed.linoleum for laminate and Walloon for Wallonia (the people instead of the region). Ran Long Lived Critters and Move That T and got TS of trapdoor spider (DD), looking glass, mixing and Holbein (DD).

And FJ was pretty much an instaget - Yohannan took me to Yossarian to Catch 22 to Heller. I think I read the book for some college course, but not sure since I'm old.

Anyone else see a little Buzzy Cohen in Zach?

• Like 5

Contestants really need to learn Valentina Tereshkova's name; J! likes to ask about her (and in very simple terms -- name the first woman in space).  They could just watch Designing Women:

The looking glass TS surprised me.

And I cannot believe Karen threw away a runaway game with that DD wager when there were only five clues left on the board!  Poor woman is going to be reliving that for quite some time.

I was off my game a bit in the first round; I only ran house, I got all but one in critters and sports terms, but I missed two each in the rest.

DJ was just okay as well; I ran the vocabulary category (that was fun; I love word pair categories) and 1963, and got all but one in resilience, but I missed two each in plateaus and music (that's twice recently the band fun. has come up on this show; I've never heard of them, so I'll have to go look them up now and see if I've heard any of their songs) and three in Hans.

For the second night in a row, I had no idea on FJ; I did think of Catch-22 while going through anti-war novels in my mental rolodex, but didn't know the author so I couldn't have come up with a lucky guess even if I'd decided on that one (I've never read it, so the character name didn't help me).  I knew after my great game Monday it would all be downhill.  Oh well.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

And I cannot believe Karen threw away a runaway game with that DD wager when there were only five clues left on the board!  Poor woman is going to be reliving that for quite some time.

Oy! Likely we'll all be reliving it. 

Of course, champ Melissa similarly did a wrong-headed DD wager the previous day, but got lucky. 

• Like 6

I just assumed she felt confident and she needed the money?   I can think of no other reason? 

The problem is everyone wants to be "known" for something now....a phrase , a gesture, etc. instead of living to play another day. 

• Like 2

I knew Holbein thanks to Hilary Mantel’s trilogy about Cromwell. Looking glass didn’t come to me because I was trying to think what a mirror on a stand like that was called. 
For FJ, I got stuck on Dr. Strangelove instead of Catch-22.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I second-guessed what they wanted because the image seemed unnecessarily specific and looking glass is generic.

Yeah, I wonder if they got hung up on the picture as necessitating something specific; it's easier at home to say for $600 an old-fashioned name for a mirror that was featured in an 1870s novel is probably "looking glass".  I'm just a bit surprised none of them made that guess only halfway through the first round.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

I couldn't believe it.  Totally threw away a sure win.

• Like 5
11 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

But I couldn’t have picked Holbein out of a two option multiple choice. Guess I missed that day in art history. JK I never came close to taking art history. 

I took an art history class in college but I don't remember much. But "artist" + "The Younger" gives me Holbein every time. Whether that's a result of taking that class or not, I couldn't say.

11 hours ago, chicagofan said:

and I while I remembered Valentina's first name I couldn't come up with her last name - it's that Russian woman Valentina what's her name. 

I waffled between Tereskova and Tereshkova but settled on the right one.

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

(that's twice recently the band fun. has come up on this show; I've never heard of them, so I'll have to go look them up now and see if I've heard any of their songs)

I know a couple songs but the only member I can name is Nate Ruess, and that's only from looking him up after seeing a video of "Just Give Me A Reason" by Pink featuring him, several years ago. If anything, you'd probably recognize "We Are Young" featuring Janelle Monet (which was used in a Super Bowl ad for Chevy in 2012; they also covered it on Glee). Maybe "Carry On" (which is now stuck in my head).

• Applause 1
11 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I second-guessed what they wanted because the image seemed unnecessarily specific and looking glass is generic.

Agreed.  I said cheval mirror because that's what it is. 

I got the ts of spider and the missed DD of Holbein.

Instaget FJ.

As soon as Karen made that big bet so late in the game I knew it was going to backfire on her.  Too bad because I liked her.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Clavined it, IOW

My thought, exactly! That's probably the closest thing I'll ever see to a true Clavin. Which, IIRC, is a bad FJ wager, though doing it on a DD so late in the game is pretty much the equivalent. Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

• Like 7
  • Fire 1

As soon as she wagered $10k I said “pride goeth before a fall.”  How could she not know Holbein???  I know nothing about art but what I’ve learned on J! Holbein was an instaget.  Total Clavin.

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I took an art history class in college but I don't remember much. But "artist" + "The Younger" gives me Holbein every time. Whether that's a result of taking that class or not, I couldn't say.

For me it's Henry VIII + artist = Holbein, thanks to many movies/mini series about Henry.

Karen has a pretty funny Twitter thread about that DD, basically promised herself she'd wager big if she got the chance, not being able to think of any numbers other than $10000 and having Bieber stuck in her head as an artist and trying NOT to say that!

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

I’ve been playing and not having a great week FJ wise. I’m stunned she threw away the game last night with her overly confident wager 😳 I did run Possessive Lit and got spider, Blue Ridge Mts, and mistakenly thought they were going for Vonnegut for FJ. I knew the book (Catch-22) the answer was being based on. 

• Like 3

@Bastet I logged on this morning specifically to ask if anyone else ALWAYS gets the Valentina Tereshkova question right thanks to DW!  I can still hear Mary Jo saying it in my head lol

I'm still stunned by middle woman's terrible DD wager.  But I got the question right because if it's an artist/Henry VIII question, it's always Holbein.

• Like 4
13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

But I couldn’t have picked Holbein out of a two option multiple choice. Guess I missed that day in art history. JK I never came close to taking art history. 

I got it from reading a lot about Henry VIII. Never took art history.

13 hours ago, chicagofan said:

And FJ was pretty much an instaget - Yohannan took me to Yossarian to Catch 22 to Heller.

I got to Yossarian and then....blank. Sigh.

1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

For me it's Henry VIII + artist = Holbein, thanks to many movies/mini series about Henry.

In this case my mind trail worked, just like yours. If only it did all the time.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

In her (half hearted) defense, that seemed unusually tough for an $800 clue.

I thought it was ridiculously easy and couldn't believe she didn't know it.  But then, art history and English history are subjects with which I tend to do very, very well.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I had never heard of a trap door spider until Wednesday morning, when I read this story about a new, extra large species of golden trap door spider discovered in Queensland, Australia. I would not have given the correct response during Wednesday evening's Jeopardy! had I not read the article just a few hours before!

Rare giant spider species spotted in Queensland

My second grade teacher had a trap door spider story she shared with every class she taught for years, and had a sample that was the actual trap door she had dug up. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1

Just 1 week ago I posted on here about Hans Holbein regarding the 3/15/23 FJ on ART EXHIBITIONS: 

On 3/16/2023 at 8:54 AM, shapeshifter said:

No FJ for this fairly art-knowledgeable person.🙃
First I totally psyched myself out...
I wrongly guessed Wilhelmina was German, and so went with Albrecht Dürer for FJ, but was not at all confident. Hans Holbein was another thought, which almost conjured up Frans Hals——who was Dutch.
But then the think music was over.
Regardless, I'm not sure I'd have come up with Rembrandt if I'd made the Netherlands connection in time. Could've been Vermeer.  🤷🏻‍♀️

but when Karen wagered her 11th hour $10K on a DD, I was so flabbergasted, that I could not even think of Hans Holbein or any other HANS, SOLO, or any artist at all.

Such a Cliff Calvin!
And:

2 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5

I did pretty well last night, although I was better in DJ than the first round.  I ran Possessive Lit, Long-Lived Critters, At "Last", 1963 and Plateaus.  Got all but one in Around The House, Making Music and Move That T From Front To Back.  Would've gotten all but one in Hans, Solo if I'd remembered the category for the $400 clue.

I did get a lot of stumpers: trapdoor spider, Blue Ridge Mountains, Valentina Tereshkova (it's always Tereshkova), drum machine, mixing, Wallonia (it was a guess but I knew Walloons lived in Belgium), Hans von Bulow and, of course, Hans Holbein the Younger.

FJ took me a moment, but then I remembered Yossarian and knew it was Joseph Heller.  Fun fact: I had a cat I named Yossi for the meerkat on Meerkat Manor who was named after the character from Catch 22.  Yeah, she was a little bit cuckoo.

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

I ran the vocabulary category (that was fun; I love word pair categories)

I was cruising in that category until they got to trio & riot.  The word "threesome" took me somewhere I'm sure the writers didn't intend and I never got back to the correct meaning.

12 hours ago, catrice2 said:

I just assumed she felt confident and she needed the money?   I can think of no other reason? 

Yeah, maybe.  I would've bet small on that one, being so late in the game, and then kicked myself for not betting a lot more.

11 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Looking glass didn’t come to me because I was trying to think what a mirror on a stand like that was called. 

That was my problem as well.

11 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I had never heard of a trap door spider until Wednesday morning, when I read this story about a new, extra large species of golden trap door spider discovered in Queensland, Australia. I would not have given the correct response during Wednesday evening's Jeopardy! had I not read the article just a few hours before!

Rare giant spider species spotted in Queensland

Why does it not surprise me that the extra large spider is in Australia?

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I took an art history class in college but I don't remember much. But "artist" + "The Younger" gives me Holbein every time.

"Artist" + Henry VIII is always Holbein.  His most famous works were portraits of Henry and the portrait of Anne of Cleves he painted for Henry.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I was cruising in that category until they got to trio & riot.  The word "threesome" took me somewhere I'm sure the writers didn't intend and I never got back to the correct meaning.

That threw me, too, so I went to the second part, got 'riot' and worked backwards to 'trio.'

(Does anyone else get mildly annoyed when the player says the second word first? I know it doesn't matter but..)

• Like 3
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

My mind took a detour there, but I got back in time to get it. Unlike the other clues in the category. Should have been dead easy, but my mind does not like rearranging letters (I'm also crap in scrambled letter categories).

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

(Does anyone else get mildly annoyed when the player says the second word first? I know it doesn't matter but..)

I've worked my way out of being annoyed by it, but I still notice it every time.  I agree with accepting them in either order, and it's a lot easier for me to - if I start with the second one in figuring it out - rearrange them into the correct order before answering in my office than it would be on stage. 

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

It took me to Kara's "threesome" response for the "love triangle" clue and Alex's reaction, but then I regrouped.

3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I know a couple songs but the only member I can name is Nate Ruess, and that's only from looking him up after seeing a video of "Just Give Me A Reason" by Pink featuring him, several years ago. If anything, you'd probably recognize "We Are Young" featuring Janelle Monet (which was used in a Super Bowl ad for Chevy in 2012; they also covered it on Glee). Maybe "Carry On" (which is now stuck in my head).

Yes, I looked them up last night and those two were the songs I'd heard (but I had no idea Janelle Monáe sang on "We Are Young").  I'd just never heard the band name in my life until a recent J! clue, so when they came up again so quickly, I looked them up to see whether I was wholly unfamiliar with them or simply didn't know they sing some songs I know.  It's often the latter, and indeed this was one of those cases.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, ABay said:

No problem with Holbein but I remained convinced that Vonnegut wrote Catch-22.

I did consider Vonnegut but I was thinking Slaughterhouse Five. But the name in the clue sounded closer to the character in Catch-22 (which I have actually never read but I knew the name). Then I had to drag Heller out of my brain because I was briefly blanking on it.

• Like 1

I'm going to be watching Top Chef tonight, so this was another archive game for me.

My impression of the kid as I responded "redrum" must have been pretty accurate, as my cat woke up and looked at me like I was possessed.

I was terrible (for a first round) in characters, missing three.  I only ran sculptures, but I got all but one in the rest (each one contained a photo, but being able to see them wouldn't have helped me with any of them).

In DJ, TV lingo was my killer category; I missed three.  I would have missed another three in historic names, but the recent FJ clue gave me Queen of Netherlands = Wilhelmina, so I only missed two.  I ran Pulitzer (in this case, I didn't need to see the photos), Lincoln Highway (same), and foreign words, and got all but one in science, so it was still a good round.

Once again, though, I did not know FJ.  My mind went to female characters for some reason, and I never came up with a guess.  If I'd thought of men, I might have guessed James Bond because of how often they ask about the character/franchise, but I tend to think not, especially since only one of them got it; I'm not a fan, so even though the clue is quite descriptive once I know the answer, I don't know that I'd have added it up to think of him because he doesn't live anywhere near the front of my mind.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I said the Pink Panther. Then I thought that's not a character, it's a diamond, I think. James Bond.  then after time wwas up, I thought it's probably Hannibal Lecter, so I was glad that thought came to late.

i got the missed clues of Caligula, feng shui and Francium.  

I was very upset that I didn't get David McCullough. I read both the Truman and Adams biographies and could picure he cover of the ttruman one, just not with the author's name.  Aargh.

• Like 3

March 23:

63% / 53% / 59%

Not a great game. It's been a long day.

In J! I missed one each in JV Squad, Literary Characters, and Lipstick, two in Cold and Sculpture, and four in Post. In DJ I missed one in Foreign Words & Phrases, two in Science, TV Show Lingo, and Lincoln Highway, three Historic Names and four Pulitzer Prizes. And my only TS was the missed DD Francium.

FJ was an instaget so I slightly redeemed myself there.

• Like 1

Surprised that only the winner correctly guessed Bond for FJ. That seemed a very obvious and easy clue to me. The sexiness, mystery and ruthlessness was a dead giveaway. 

Also surprised the defending champion missed the Feng Shui daily double question. Seemed like she was just off her game. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1