Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Not quite an instaget FJ tonight, but I did get it in time to write it down -- after discarding the shark from Jaws.  Not sure sexy is an apt description for it!

I also got the TS of dilithium, feng shui, francium, and atmosphere.

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
10 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Not quite an instaget FJ tonight, but I did get it in time to write it down -- after discarding the shark from Jaws.  Not sure sexy is an apt description for it!

I also got the TS of dilithium, feng shui, francium, and atmosphere.

the book was more like 90% sex, 10% shark, so maybe.

• LOL 5
43 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I said the Pink Panther. Then I thought that's not a character, it's a diamond, I think. James Bond.  then after time wwas up, I thought it's probably Hannibal Lecter, so I was glad that thought came to late.

9 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

My “just write something” uneducated guesses were Bond and the Pink Panther. I went with the non-animated one, and got lucky. 

I am glad at least two other people had similar thought processes to me. I have no idea how my mind traveled along the path that it did to come up with Pink Panther or James Bond. I was really struggling to call to mind either theme to figure out if one had a staccato part (it's hard to think of another tune with the Jeopardy think music going!), so ultimately decided that James Bond was sexier than a cartoon Pink Panther and went with that.

• Like 4

Don't mean to open up a can of worms, but I don't think juicy and scusi rhyme exactly. The"c" in juicy is more of an "s" sound where the second "s" in scusi is more of a "z" sound - at least for me. But I think that Mary, marry and merry all sound the same.

Three TS - racetrack., Sam Shepard and feng shui (DD). And I got my 2nd FJ in a row - while I've seen some of the older Bond movies (nothing from the Daniel Craig era) I'm not a big fan. Somehow it just came to me - never heard of Monty Norman.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, chicagofan said:

Don't mean to open up a can of worms, but I don't think juicy and scusi rhyme exactly. The"c" in juicy is more of an "s" sound where the second "s" in scusi is more of a "z" sound - at least for me. But I think that Mary, marry and merry all sound the same.

Put those worms back in that can!  I’m going to assume that maybe it’s pronounced “scu-cee” in Italian or at least that’s an acceptable variant. But yeah, sometimes Jeopardy! rhymes and homophones don’t always exactly align with mine. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
1 minute ago, bad things are bad said:

As soon as they revealed the JV category,  I said Justin Verlander.  None of them seemed like baseball fans, sadly 

Same here! Verlander was the first J.V. I thought of. (Yes,  I am baseball obsessed.  😄

• Like 5

Oh and for the JV category, Ken specifically said they needed both names. Which is a question that keeps coming up. So I guess we can assume that unless they specifically ask for both names, the “regular” rules apply. 

• Useful 3
2 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

As soon as they revealed the JV category,  I said Justin Verlander.  None of them seemed like baseball fans, sadly 

That was my one miss in the category, and seeing his picture wouldn't have helped -- I know the name, but don't watch enough baseball to recognize his face.  (I can identify the Dodgers line-up, and some big players on other teams, but for the most part baseball players are names, not faces, to me.)

The pictures also would have done nothing for me with Kat Von D or the arctic hare (I'm assuming on that one).

18 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

That's the only one I missed.

13 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The pictures also would have done nothing for me with Kat Von D or the arctic hare (I'm assuming on that one).

Not sure how I got Kat Von D; the picture wasn't helping but the name popped into my head at the last second. I guess it was the tattoos and too much TLC (never watched her show but saw plenty of ads for it).

I just couldn't come up with arctic.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Surprised that only the winner correctly guessed Bond for FJ. That seemed a very obvious and easy clue to me. The sexiness, mystery and ruthlessness was a dead giveaway. 

I did get the FJ of "Bond, James Bond."
I saw one of the 1960s movies in a theater, he's often referenced in crime dramedies, and I floved the 2012 Olympics video with Daniel Craig and the late Queen Elizabeth, so it was easy for me. 

57 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Also surprised the defending champion missed the Feng Shui daily double question. Seemed like she was just off her game. 

I was looking at her, pleading: feng shui. Feng Shui. FENG SHUI???
Shortly before that missed DD I heard her give a tired sigh off camera and realized this was her 4th game that day.  

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Not sure how I got Kat Von D; the picture wasn't helping but the name popped into my head at the last second.

I got as far as "Oh, the name starts with D" but it's also possible I was thinking of Dita von Teese and/or don't know the difference between her and Kat von D.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, chicagofan said:

My first name and Merry Christmas do sound the same.  "Marry" has more of a short ă - like "aaaaaah" - sound.  Mary (me) and Merry Christmas have more of a short ĕ "eh" sound.*

I was pretty sure it was Bond, James Bond - but I still paused the recording and pulled up the opening theme on YouTube just to make sure it was actually "staccato" (it is.)  As someone mentioned, it's hard to think of a musical piece while the Jeopardy! "Think" music is playing!

* I remember a contestant being ruled wrong for answering Barry Gordy instead of Berry Gordy.  I can't remember if it was a spoken response during regular gameplay, or a written response in FJ.  To me,  Barry rhymes with marry.  Berry rhymes with Mary and Merry.

Edited by The Wild Sow
I just checked. Barry/Berry Gordy was the FJ.
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

* I remember a contestant being ruled wrong for answering Barry Gordy instead of Berry Gordy.  I can't remember if it was a spoken response during regular gameplay, or a written response in FJ.  To me,  Barry rhymes with marry.  Berry rhymes with Mary and Merry.

And speaking of "Barry," I thought the guy that composed the Bond music was named Barry, John Barry.  Go figure.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
15 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Surprised that only the winner correctly guessed Bond for FJ. That seemed a very obvious and easy clue to me. The sexiness, mystery and ruthlessness was a dead giveaway.

That's what eventually led me to Bond (though I am no fan). I had zero confidence I was right. So it was a fun surprise - and my first FJ this week!

11 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I first thought Bond, but every movie has its own theme song, so then I moved to Pink Panther. Waffled a bit but stuck with Pink Panther. 

I was stuck on "character's theme" so I figured it wasn't the movie's theme song. Outside of a few movies, I've never noticed a character's theme song (most of those were John Williams movies). I said Bond in desperation, and didn't connect the description of his theme until my husband kind of sung it for me.

I almost ran sculpture, which was a surprise. Then they had to bring geography in it. Sigh.

I wowed myself when I got post-impressionism (no art background) and Sam Shepherd (based only on the fact that I didn't recognize the play mentioned and figured it was current-ish).

Interesting makeup names. I'm not sure I'd wear anything called Urban Decay, but then they're not marketing to my generation. I did get Redrum, thanks to Stephen King.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3

I had a fairly crappy game last night.  Only ran 2 categories: That's Cold and With A Sculpture On Top.  Only had 2 categories where I got all but 1 clue: TV Show Lingo and The Lincoln Highway.  Only got 3 stumpers: Justin Verlander (no idea how I knew that one since I haven't paid attention to baseball since the 90s), dilithium and feng shui.

I should've gotten Abel Tasman given my fascination with Australia and its history.  I did say Van Dieman who was also a Dutch explorer in the area and the person for whom Tasmania was originally named, so close, but wrong.  And I was upset at myself for not getting Caligula; should've known that one from watching I, Claudius, although it has been a long time.

FJ was an instaget for me at least.  And YAY!  Melissa's gone!

15 hours ago, illdoc said:

Queeg (it was the strawberries)

I remembered the strawberries but couldn't come up with the name in time.

• Like 4
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

Once again, though, I did not know FJ.  My mind went to female characters for some reason, and I never came up with a guess

Me too! I don't know why but I was certain it was a female so I kind of reluctantly said Jessica Rabbit. And I like Bond, oh well.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, secnarf said:

I am glad at least two other people had similar thought processes to me. I have no idea how my mind traveled along the path that it did to come up with Pink Panther or James Bond. I was really struggling to call to mind either theme to figure out if one had a staccato part (it's hard to think of another tune with the Jeopardy think music going!), so ultimately decided that James Bond was sexier than a cartoon Pink Panther and went with that.

It was probably the staccato part which gave you those options.

15 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’m going to assume that maybe it’s pronounced “scu-cee” in Italian or at least that’s an acceptable variant.

I've heard it said that way on tv by people with Italian accents, although I won't swear those accents were genuine.  It was close enough that I got it, at least.  And upon re-checking the clue on the archive I realized I got all but one right in that category, too.

I will never, ever not hear "Santy Anny" a la Hank Hill's dad when I think of that particular historical personage.

14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh and for the JV category, Ken specifically said they needed both names. Which is a question that keeps coming up. So I guess we can assume that unless they specifically ask for both names, the “regular” rules apply. 

Except when it's Kit Carson, of course.

14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Not sure how I got Kat Von D; the picture wasn't helping but the name popped into my head at the last second. I guess it was the tattoos and too much TLC (never watched her show but saw plenty of ads for it).

I recognized the picture but all I could think of was "that bitch I didn't like with the tattoo show".  Her name completely escaped me.  (She's the one with whom Sandra Bullock's husband hooked up, allegedly only after he spilt with Bullock, but possibly before - somehow THAT I remember.)

38 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I'm not sure I'd wear anything called Urban Decay, but then they're not marketing to my generation.

They started in the 90s as a part of the goth thing, to judge by my coworkers at Borders who loved the brand.

11 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I first thought Bond, but every movie has its own theme song

Every movie has its own theme for the main credits, but all the ones I've seen have a pre-credit opening scene which ends with the Monty Norman Bond theme.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

I got Bond, by asking what movie franchise has a famous theme song? There aren't that many movies that have a series, and of those, not that many have a song. I briefly thought of the Pink Panther, but it didn't seem to fit the description, and my other distraction was the Monty Python series but I didn't think they had one, either  (the coconuts were stuck in my head but they don't recur and aren't really a song, so...).

I think I've maybe seen one of the Bond movies, not even in a theater, but I couldn't even say which one-- I didn't like it, I just remember what it was like, and that I saw it on TV rather than a big screen, probably because I felt obligated to check out one of them, like reading dead white guy book classics, for the sake of getting the references. Clearly it wasn't made for me.

I also got Queeg, despite definitely not having read it, but I only got that one because I forgot about Bligh, whose book I also never read.

Cultural osmosis can sometimes provide a lucky break!

• Like 2

I got FJ.  I feel like inequality wasn't technically wrong.

I got the missed clues of mate/maze, Tony Hillerman, Whittier, Jeffrey Mogan Freeman, Matt Damon WAyans and hobnob.

I got the entire category of cats right, but am not sure if it's cheating to do so if you have a cat on your lap at the time and the partial category of WEstminster Abbey wrong.  

I feel like it's been a while since we haven't finished a board.  

• Like 3

March 24:

70% / 44% / 59%

Decent first round; ran Cats, missed one each in Metro Partners, Finnish Him! and What'll It "B"?, and three in Change a Letter and The WWE (better than I expected to do in that one, frankly). Terrible second round…missed one in 6-Letter Rhymers, two Rejected Authors, three in the Fog of War, and all but one in the rest.

TSes were mixer/miler, Jeffrey Dean Morgan Freeman (though I said it almost exactly the same time Ken did; never watched Walking Dead so I had to start with Morgan Freeman and work backwards and find an actor with the last name Morgan), Thor Heyerdahl (well, technically he got it but he forgot his phrasing), and hobnob.

I overthought FJ for a second (not a mathy person) but after rereading the second part I got it easily.

• Like 1

Too bad, I was rooting for Michael. For me, FJ was an instaget. I thought it was one of the easiest clues of the night. Surprised 2 of them missed it. The jury is still out on Tamara. Not sure if she'll become too precious.

• Like 4

I have seen a lot of headlines blasting that woman that wagered big and lost and then lost the whole game. It may have seemed silly but I will give her the benefit of the doubt. 

I honestly don't know what I would do in that situation. The comfort of our homes and chairs makes choices a lot easier. I will cut her some slack for trying to "go big or go home". 

Still, I'll bet she doesn't think Diana Ross is 95!

As for today's game, I feel so smart that I knew FJ even though it was easy because it mentioned a word that gives me instant fear....math.....

I do think this group of contestants either got stage fright or they used a lot of their brain power during the build up to the show...Way too many TSers tonight....

• Like 6

I must apologize to Tamara as I was yelling at her so much ("quit guessing!") Good for her for hanging in there. When I saw math as the FJ symbol subject, I got depressed. But then I got brave and said, 'less than" (but wrote down "lesser"). Oh well...glad I wasn't on the Alex Trebek stage & just cozy in my living room.

• Like 3

Thank you Jeopardy! gods for giving me a rare chance to feel smug and superior. There are only so many ways you can rotate a “v”  - less than, greater than, carat, and v. I know this falls in the “easy if you know it” category, but I’ll take it. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  Then I mentally rotated the "v" in other directions just to check myself, and stuck with my original answer.

Can we count Thor Heyerdahl as a TS?  It wasn't exactly, although I did shout it out before the guy flubbed his response.  I got the real TS of Tony Hillerman, hobnob, and Lookout Mountain, though.

I admit, I was rooting for anyone except Tamara.  Her over exaggerated sighs were too much, and I believe they were the reason the boards weren't cleared.  Good on her for hanging in there and all, but dude.  Settle down.

• Like 5

The symbol for inequality is an equal sign with a slash through it. The rotated V is definitely "less than" (or greater than, but that wouldn't have fit the other elements of the clue).

That was a wild ride tonight! I actually like how physically Tamara played-- I get that it might have been considered distracting, but I felt like she was really putting a muscularity into it, so it felt like "play hard!" I'm fine with it. It mitght be too much if she wins a lot of games, though. 

It seemd like everybody tonight was using thee strateegy of trying not to get beaten to the buzzer... which is why there were so many wrong answers. When they stopped doing that, we had triple stumpers, though. 

I got FJ and hobnob and Michael B. Jordan Peele, but I was distracted for a lot of the game so I missed half of what the categories even were. I thought it was interesting that the one letter change category was so hard; they've done a lot of those but usually the change is the first or last letter. Having the change in the middle seemed to flummox the contestants.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I admit, I was rooting for anyone except Tamara.  Her over exaggerated sighs were too much, and I believe they were the reason the boards weren't cleared.  Good on her for hanging in there and all, but dude.  Settle down.

I have to admit, after her interview about her icebreaker question, I was thinking “nope, fake a phone call and avoid that person for the rest of the event!”  But I’ll give her a chance. 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I admit I was rooting for anyone except Tamara.  Her over exaggerated sighs were too much, and I believe they were the reason the boards weren't cleared.  Good on her for hanging in there and all, but dude.  Settle down.

It also didn't help that Michael was slow picking clues after he got a right "question". I was rooting for him since I didn't particularly care for the champ and Tamara bugged - I would normally want to root for her since she was the lone woman and from Chicago.

Third FJ in a row for me - yay! Came up with less than quickly, but didn't think it was correct. Since I couldn't think of anything else I stuck with it.

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, possibilities said:

The symbol for inequality is an equal sign with a slash through it. The rotated V is definitely "less than" (or greater than, but that wouldn't have fit the other elements of the clue).

<> is used for not equal to in coding. Not sure if it gets used in mathematics though. But I assumed one V and went with less than.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Re: OTT mannerisms. I guess that's from nerves and some self-consciousness mixed in. My Jeopardy unpopular opinion? The puzzle categories (e.g., mix up the letters and whattaya got?) I prefer to be tested on geography, history, etc.

11 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  Then I mentally rotated the "v" in other directions just to check myself, and stuck with my original answer.

Hah! I did exactly the same thing! 

Can we count Thor Heyerdahl as a TS?  It wasn't exactly, although I did shout it out before the guy flubbed his response.

I too shouted Thor Heyerdahl before Tamara's "Who is Kipling?" 
Maybe Michael was doing the same in his mind and that's why he didn't repeat the "Who is..." part?
IDK, but it's not like he made that error any other time.
I felt bad for him, but he seemed to take it cheerfully in stride. 

Tamara.  Her over exaggerated sighs were too much, and I believe they were the reason the boards weren't cleared.  Good on her for hanging in there and all, but 

I blame the WWE category for 3 clues being left on the board. Those WWE guys do a lot of yakking.
If anyone timed those videos, and I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.
The extra hesitations by the contestants probably didn't help either.

ETA: Just look at the J! board showing that the WWE clues were 2-3 times longer than regular clues:
j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7779

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3

I was surprised two of them missed FJ - as others have said, only so many ways you can rotate a V (< > ^), and only one that fits the rest of the clue. It's not exactly an obscure symbol.

Then I spent the rest of the think music wondering if "<" has a special name that I didn't know that made the question more challenging, and then wondering if it would be ok to just write down "<" in case "less than" isn't the official name.

• Like 4

Quite a comeback by Tamara; good thing she hit - and knew - both DDs.

I ran cats (of course!), booze (of course!), cities, and got all but one in the vocabulary category (which was a bummer, as I love those word pair categories, but I joined the contestants in being stumped by quality & duality).  I missed two in Finnish, so would have had a good first round if not for WWE.  My complete lack of interest manifested itself in being able to correctly guess smackdown but not knowing another single clue in the category.

I ran colleges and rhymers, and got all but one in war (quite a surprise) and actors (well, all but one of the only three clues revealed).  I missed three in Westminster Abbey (and I've been there!) and two in authors, so did well in DJ.

FJ was an instaget, which was a relief, since I hadn't answered one correctly since Monday.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

My complete lack of interest manifested itself in being able to correctly guess smackdown but not knowing another single clue in the category.

I recognized Andre the Giant from The Princess Bride, as I expect many people might. Didn't come anywhere close to the rest of the clues in the category.

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

My complete lack of interest manifested itself in being able to correctly guess smackdown but not knowing another single clue in the category.

I knew Andre the Giant (more from The Princess Bride, really), and guessed King of the Ring (just logic based on "rhyming royal title"). I've heard of Smackdown but it didn't come to me, and I had Lucha (I knew the wrestlers are called luchadores) but not Libre (thanks to that Jack Black movie...which is called Nacho Libre so you'd think I'd have gotten the second part, if anything, but no).

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I recognized Andre the Giant from The Princess Bride, as I expect many people might. Didn't come anywhere close to the rest of the clues in the category.

I got Andre also from the Princess Bride, but I got Guardians of the Galaxy too, my grandchildren like the movie and I've seen parts of it. As for FJ perhaps the two were like me and overthought it, it seemed too easy that it would be the less than sign, but I had nothing else so said it at the last second.

• Like 5

Count me among those who knew Andre from Princess Bride!  I think I knew of him prior to that movie (my brother occasionally watched professional wrestling), but I don't know that I would have recognized him.  

I knew Drax from the movies, too, but couldn't get past luchadores to Lucha Libre for anything.  The rest of the WWE clues were hopeless for me.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Count me among those who knew Andre from Princess Bride!  I think I knew of him prior to that movie (my brother occasionally watched professional wrestling), but I don't know that I would have recognized him.  

I'm 99% sure I would have gotten him either way (also had an older brother in the 80s) but when I saw the category my first thought was Andre and TPB. (My second thought was "I'm not going to get anything in this category.")

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2

In the WWF (as was), Andre was the 8th Wonder of the World. I appreciated the continuity when years later HHH called Chyna the 9th Wonder of the World.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Hah! I did exactly the same thing! 

I too shouted Thor Heyerdahl before Tamara's "Who is Kipling?" 
Maybe Michael was doing the same in his mind and that's why he didn't repeat the "Who is..." part?
IDK, but it's not like he made that error any other time.
I felt bad for him, but he seemed to take it cheerfully in stride. 

I blame the WWE category for 3 clues being left on the board. Those WWE guys do a lot of yakking.
If anyone timed those videos, and I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.
The extra hesitations by the contestants probably didn't help either.

ETA: Just look at the J! board showing that the WWE clues were 2-3 times longer than regular clues:
j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7779

I've always thought you save those types of categories for last because of that reason AND I always assume those are paid promotions where they have to get through all the clues in that category. I don't know for sure that is true but I bet it is. 

Also wresting is dumb.  And not a sport. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 2