Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: III

• Start Topic

Not surprised the wife used to be with Hamzad, nothing else would make sense to harbor a 30-year grudge. I was surprised Angela was the daughter. I knew when she was played by Alia Shawkat, she'd be more important than Harper's No. 2, but I didn't see that coming. And she was with Harper's son? How planned was this?

• Useful 1

I surmised in the first episode that Dan had whisked the wife away.  Some love grievances never die.  I'm glad they went ahead and showed us Angela talking on the phone.  I was having trouble figuring out how they would sustain that mystery much longer without making the audience testy.  Raymond is going to be a problem.

Doggies rule!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Medicine Crow said:

NOT liking that the dogs were in the "fight scene"!!!

They are trained attack dogs, and they were doing their job.

Why was not yet Chase’s wife hanging up dry laundry? 
How did Emily manage to get into the FBI? 
I could do with fewer Afghan flashbacks. I’m here for the legend that is Jeff Bridges. And the dogs.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

I could do with fewer Afghan flashbacks. I’m here for the legend that is Jeff Bridges. And the dogs.

In my past life, I worked with protection dogs (German Shepherds) & those dogs were not the epitome of what you'd expect from them ... very slow to attack & bland about their role.  Just sayin'!  Glad they didn't "get too hurt".

• Useful 1
23 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Yes, exactly. 

13 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I worked with protection dogs (German Shepherds) & those dogs were not the epitome of what you'd expect from them ... very slow to attack & bland about their role. 

Guess they’re  just bad actors. 😁

Guys, guys, rest easy. Even if the dogs don’t make it in the show... "No Animals Were Harmed in the Making of This Series". 

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

In my past life, I worked with protection dogs (German Shepherds) & those dogs were not the epitome of what you'd expect from them ... very slow to attack & bland about their role.  Just sayin'!  Glad they didn't "get too hurt".

I don’t know, they seemed to be gnawing on the hitman’s arm pretty efficiently! 😆

• LOL 2
37 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

{snicker}

38 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

I’m here for the legend that is Jeff Bridges.

The actor playing the young version of him just doesn’t have the allure that Jeff Bridges had at that age. I keep picturing younger Jeff Bridges playing the part from what I’ve seen in his movies. He looked so fine in Jagged Edge. 

• Like 2
  • Love 5
23 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I, too, want to know how Emily ended up in the FBI or CIA as Harper’s #1.  Was this all at the design of her father? 

I’m hoping that I’m wrong, but it looked like the dog that was thrown through the glass door was badly hurt.  I sure hope that in the last scene, with Chase looking wistful as he opens the car’s trunk in the middle of nowhere, he is not about to bury one of  his beloved Rottweilers.  I cannot imagine why else he would be out there with something obviously in the trunk that he is not happy about.  

“Who let the dogs out … WOOF WOOF!”  ZOE DID!  That’s why she has to go on the run with him.  The hit man, who evidently survived, will be after both of them now.  She is no longer safe on her own.  Notice how Chase didn’t need to give the “command” and that the dogs sensed their master was in trouble and went to his defense?  Kinda blows the theory some had about them not attacking the agents without Chase giving them the command, in the first episode.  

It would be nice if there were some continuity in this show.  

I keep reading on here that Chase has dementia and that the daughter and other aspects of the show are part of it.  Where is this coming from?  The daughter clearly exists and looks Middle Eastern, so that makes sense.  What I’d like to know is what kind of back story she has.  Also, the vision Chase had of killing everyone at the police stop, IMO, was just him working out possible scenarios in his head for his escape.  To me, this is not a sign of dementia, but rather of his training as an agent.

I had a feeling that chase’s wife was not only in hiding with him because of his history, but also because she didn’t want to be discovered.  This episode answered that question.  I swear, I could have written these plot points.  Except for Zoe.  That entire scenario seems unnaturally contrived and could have been done MUCH better.  You just KNOW the ex-husband and/or son are gonna play some part in this or the author would have make her character a single woman with no children.  

If I didn’t love the actors so much, this would have jumped the shark for me last week.  Ho hum …

• Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, ChattyCathyLA said:

I’m hoping that I’m wrong, but it looked like the dog that was thrown through the glass door was badly hurt.  I sure hope that in the last scene, with Chase looking wistful as he opens the car’s trunk in the middle of nowhere, he is not about to bury one of  his beloved Rottweilers.  I cannot imagine why else he would be out there with something obviously in the trunk that he is not happy about.  

I thought maybe that was Zoe in the trunk.  I saw dogs (or at least A dog) in the back seat but I didn't see anyone in the passenger seat, and no one opened the passenger door when he stopped in the desert, so I thought maybe he had thrown her in the trunk (a) to keep her safe from being seen by anyone and (b) so he could shut her the hell up and get on their way.

Edited by bigmag
  • Like 5
  • Love 3

Gotta love Harper:  "Last time I went to a movie I looked up the showtimes in the newspaper, and bought a ticket at the little window."

Emily must have been old enough when her death was faked by Chase that she would have been in on it, and kept her cover clean all these years.  I think she must have built a new backstory sufficiently ironclad that the FBI background checks didn't dent it.  And Harper doesn't know it either, but the CIA toad might.

Poor Zoe.  "How stupid, how lonely do I have to be to get in this spot?"  Her psyche is shattered.

Why didn't Chase kill his assailant?  Leaving him alive leaves a trail (necessary for the plot, I know) and creates a ripple effect to everyone around him.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

Emily must have been old enough when her death was faked by Chase that she would have been in on it, and kept her cover clean all these years.  I think she must have built a new backstory sufficiently ironclad that the FBI background checks didn't dent it.  And Harper doesn't know it either, but the CIA toad might.

Yeah, she told Zoe that she was 18 when Dan came clean about his (and the missus') past. The newspaper article said Emily committed suicide seven years ago, I believe. So yes, they made the choice to 'retire' Emily Chase. But was embedding with Harper and hooking up with Harper's son all part of the plan?

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, bigmag said:

I thought maybe that was Zoe in the trunk.  I saw dogs (or at least A dog) in the back seat but I didn't see anyone in the passenger seat, and no one opened the passenger door when he stopped in the desert, so I thought maybe he had thrown her in the trunk (a) to keep her safe from being seen by anyone and (b) so he could shut her the hell up and get on their way.

That’s what I thought, too!  I hope it’s her and not one of the dogs. 
Why didn’t Chase finish off the hitman. That didn’t make sense to me? 🤔 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

So all of this is over a woman? Ugh. I know it's probably going to become more complicated than that, but Hamzah losing his wife to Chase has to be a large part of his stirring things up. 

I hate how the story is being told, and I'm not so enamored of the story itself, but damn if Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow don't keep me watching. It's not quite hate-watching, but it's close.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Definitely two dogs in the car, probably Zoe in the trunk. I wonder how long she was in there, as it seems we have traveled from PA to someplace that looks like California 😧

Chase might have thought the hitman would bleed out or be arrested by the police and did not count on his being rescued by the other hitman.

This week’s overdone piece of speechifying was Emily’s talk to Zoe on the phone. I’m again annoyed by the dialogue.

Also annoyed by Emily being Chase’s daughter and working for Harper. Too unbelievable for words. Of course, maybe Harper is protecting Emily while trying to off her dad.

I would put a decent sum of money on Emily being Hamzad’s biological daughter, not Chase’s, and she is what he’s really after.

• Like 5
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3

Dave and Clara were both in the back seat and they looked fine to me. I thought it was definitely Zoe in the trunk and the cliff hanger was whether she was alive or dead. I'm guessing she's going to make it out of this whole thing alive. Fun fact: "Zoe" means life.

I liked the juxtaposition of Chase telling Mrs. Hamzad that he wasn't a monster with a present day Chase kidnapping a woman and putting her in the trunk of a car.

I, too, thought Emily might be Hazmad's biological daughter. Mrs. Hamzad is dead so why would he be so intent on finding Chase now? I'm not sure if it fits with the timeline or not though. Emily is 30, I think?

I'm also suspicious of the Nosy Agent who Nobody Likes. Is he Hazmad's son? He seems to know that Emily has secrets and they are tied to Hazmad.

I haven't read any Thomas Perry so I don't know if he writes fully fleshed out women characters or not. Maybe Emily was just written to be a pawn for Chase and/or Hazmad. If not, couldn't she have joined the CIA in order to protect her parents because she wanted to and not at Chase's bidding? Or even to find out more about her parents? She could have motives all her own.

Who is Chip? Didn't Harper's son and daughter in law die in a car crash leaving Harper's grandson an orphan? Or was that his daughter and son in law?

I guess the hitman who loves his grandmother is a loose thread now. I thought he was good at this! Or right, it's just Chase that is so much better. I do wonder how that bullet missed him. He must have moved at just the right time.

I enjoyed how he hid under the cover of trees in order to take down the drone.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, Rickster said:

😧lSo annoyed by Emily being Chase’s daughter and working for Harper. Too unbelievable for words. Of course, maybe Harper is protecting Emily while trying to off her dad.

I'm thinking keeping Emily close has been an easy way for Harper to keep tabs on Chase's activities/whereabouts through the years and vice versa. Honestly, the whole thing reminds me of the old cartoon exchange "Morning, Sam." "Morning, Ralph."

200.gif

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

Yeah Chase must have played the long game, groomed Emily to join the FBI from a young age so that she could be his plant.

But what are the odds that among hundreds graduating from Quantico, she’d end up Harper’s right hand?

You could see how disgusted she was listening to Harper talk so crudely about her mother — girl from the Hindu kush decided to fuck an American and run away with him to have better access to a Walmart.

She told Harper and Waters to shut up and then had to improvise why she interrupted Harper’s vulgar soliloquy.

Of course Angela is going to be discovered because Harper suspects a mole.

Why is Waters so gung-ho to carry Hamzad’s water though?  Just plain ambition, a big opportunity for career advancement?

Maybe Angela is not the only plant, Waters is Hamzad’s son or Angela’s brother!

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, aghst said:

Yeah Chase must have played the long game, groomed Emily to join the FBI from a young age so that she could be his plant.

But what are the odds that among hundreds graduating from Quantico, she’d end up Harper’s right hand?

You could see how disgusted she was listening to Harper talk so crudely about her mother — girl from the Hindu kush decided to fuck an American and run away with him to have better access to a Walmart.

Was Walmart even a big thing in the early 1980s?  Would shopping at Walmart really be something a woman in Afghanistan would've known about or aspired to at that time?  That was such a weird description from Harper.  

So Emily is Angela ... contrived, but fine, I'll take it.  I guess.  But why on earth would she support Chase's involvement with Zoe right now and then give Zoe even more information over the phone?  Bizarre.

I guess Chase straight up kidnapped Zoe and she's the one in the trunk?  Well, at least she'll have more to talk about than her jerk ex husband now!

Why why why do TV shows always have people working in half darkened or dark offices?  I've worked in giant office buildings my entire career, people don't work in the dark like a mole for crying out loud.  Who do they think works like this?     

And Waters is so damn annoying in every scene. 

Well, I was already in a bad mood, and this episode didn't help.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, SlovakPrincess said:

Was Walmart even a big thing in the early 1980s?  Would shopping at Walmart really be something a woman in Afghanistan would've known about or aspired to at that time?  That was such a weird description from Harper.  

Pretty sure Harper was using shopping at Walmart as an allegory for an American lifestyle. He could have said eating at McDonald's, wearing Levi's, driving a Ford... and it would have conveyed the same meaning.

• Like 4
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, QQQQ said:

Pretty sure Harper was using shopping at Walmart as an allegory for an American lifestyle. He could have said eating at McDonald's, wearing Levi's, driving a Ford... and it would have conveyed the same meaning.

Harper was being condescending, like this young Afghan woman is not only materialistic but low-class materialistic, because upper middle class Harper and his wife shop at better stores.

He was also saying this woman fucked Chase and left her husband for him for shallow reasons, not because she fell in love or wanted a better life for her children.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
Spoiler

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/the-old-man-writer-and-ep-explain-that-big-emily-twist/ar-AAYNDrt

Apparently they thought up this twist after the first episode and it isn't in the book.

I don't know if that needs a spoiler at this point, but putting it in, anyway. It is about Emily being associated with both Chase and Harper.

On 6/24/2022 at 10:12 PM, aghst said:

I'm guessing that, at 18, part of Emily's new identity is that of a college student somewhere far far away. If Dad lives in Milton, then not Harvard. If they could arrange it so he didn't know, that would be best. Maybe she pulled her new identity out of a bag of identities? Maybe she had some transitional identities, so Anne took a trip to Europe after High School, Astley did her undergraduate in Glasgow and Angela came back to do a graduate degree at Stanford. Maybe the old Langley buddy who did the work, also old, has since died.

It doesn't seem like Harper knows.

Edited by Affogato
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I enjoyed how he hid under the cover of trees in order to take down the drone.

Same. That was actually realistic, for a change. I also liked the reaction of the FBI group when the drone went offline. They continually underestimate Chase just because of his age. As an early oldz myself, I like that he's always surprising them. Just because he's not at his physical peak anymore (though he's in better shape than I am, heh) doesn't mean everything else has fallen apart. Whether all of this is a dream or whatever, Chase is still one step ahead of the FBI.

8 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

Well, I was already in a bad mood, and this episode didn't help.  

LOL. It me, though it's the show that puts me in a bad mood in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Starting to lose interest. So much wasted drama with Zoe. She just met this guy. Of course she isn't going to leave her life and go to Montana with Harold. Why did we waste so much time on that?

Knew immediately that bus stop guy was the assassin. The ol "good guy we just met is actually a killer" trick.

Not at all surprised that the 30-year grudge was over a woman. I just don't care. His wife, in one of Harold's visions, said something about altering her face, so there will probably be 30 minutes on her getting facial surgery.

BTW, 30 minutes is how much time passed in this ep before I cared about what was happening.

”i want to help your husband win this war, I have no other motive.” Wait, didn’t you say your motivation was to kill Russians? 

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 1
On 6/24/2022 at 1:37 PM, AimingforYoko said:

Yeah, she told Zoe that she was 18 when Dan came clean about his (and the missus') past. The newspaper article said Emily committed suicide seven years ago, I believe. So yes, they made the choice to 'retire' Emily Chase. But was embedding with Harper and hooking up with Harper's son all part of the plan?

I'm not sure if any of this is "true."  I mean, she would be playing a very dangerous game by continuing to call her "father" on the phone,when there are so many listening in.  Being in an empty parking lot (like Harper was when he contacted the assassin) or a mainly empty garage, doesn't guarantee that someone isn't listening in.

Maybe I have too much of a suspicious mind and we are supposed to believe what we are told. 

I did like the twist that Hazmad's wife ends up with Chase.  

• Like 1

I kind of wish we were getting the 1980s flashbacks in chronological order, with longer scenes, and without so much jumping around.  How did Harper and Chase first meet?  How did Chase first meet Hamzad?  Are we ever going to see some romantic scenes between Chase and his future wife leading up to them falling in love and him getting her out of Afghanistan?  

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Affogato said:
  Reveal spoiler

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/the-old-man-writer-and-ep-explain-that-big-emily-twist/ar-AAYNDrt

Apparently they thought up this twist after the first episode and it isn't in the book.

I don't know if that needs a spoiler at this point, but putting it in, anyway. It is about Emily being associated with both Chase and Harper.

I'm guessing that, at 18, part of Emily's new identity is that of a college student somewhere far far away. If Dad lives in Milton, then not Harvard. If they could arrange it so he didn't know, that would be best. Maybe she pulled her new identity out of a bag of identities? Maybe she had some transitional identities, so Anne took a trip to Europe after High School, Astley did her undergraduate in Glasgow and Angela came back to do a graduate degree at Stanford. Maybe the old Langley buddy who did the work, also old, has since died.

It doesn't seem like Harper knows.

What worries me about your spoiler is that the way that plot point was arrived at might mean the writers never thought through all the implications that we all are spending time speculating about.

• Useful 1
12 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

How did Harper and Chase first meet?  How did Chase first meet Hamzad?

At the very latest, Harper and Chase initially met when they were both assigned to Afghanistan. At the earliest, assuming they weren't college buddies or the like, they could have been in the same class at the CIA. Either way, they have a long history with each other.

As for Chase and Hamzad, Chase seems to have changed sides, or at least decided that as far as Afghan warlords go, Hamzah is the one to back rather than fall in line with what the CIA/US government is doing.

• Like 1
On 6/25/2022 at 2:38 AM, SlovakPrincess said:

Why why why do TV shows always have people working in half darkened or dark offices?  I've worked in giant office buildings my entire career, people don't work in the dark like a mole for crying out loud.  Who do they think works like this?

A director once said in an interview that cinematographers love darkness and he had to insist on getting brightly lit scenes.  I think they just enjoy playing with light and shadow and to hell with the viewers.

• Like 1

Also some older actors may want soft lighting and focus.

I remember in one of the Project Greenlight episodes, one of the older actresses was insistent on soft focus filters.

I also happen to be watching Ted Lasso and you can see the lines on the face of the actress who plays Rebecca, all in 4K and HDR, with a lot of close up shots.  No dark scenes there, that show is brightly lit for indoors scenes.

• Like 1
(edited)

What does Zoey really have to do all day?  Pay the bank?  What’s to decide?  She’s definitely attracted to this man…..the sex was hot, he’s intelligent, interesting, …….why not go?  Lol

So, the Nosey agent has no reason to be s o accusatory to anyone in the agency without some proof.  The fact Chase is Teflon doesn’t mean he’s being helped by his colleagues.  That’s weird. And why would Hamzad be more important to the agency than a respected, retired career person?  His threats only make sense if he knows Emily’s identity.  Or, if he knows that Harper is trying to help Chase. Is Harper trying to help or kill Chase?  He sent that hit man…was that to kill or help?  It didn’t look like a friendly encounter.  So, Nosey guy is off.  I find this annoying,  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
6 hours ago, aghst said:

remember in one of the Project Greenlight episodes, one of the older actresses was insistent on soft focus filters.

I also happen to be watching Ted Lasso and you can see the lines on the face of the actress who plays Rebecca, all in 4K and HDR

Oh yeah, HD has been the bane of actors. I remember many of them lamenting HD when it came out. You can see every pore, never mind wrinkles! 

A few random thoughts.

I suspect Chase wants to take Zoe away in order to kill her.  No witnesses.  Hard to believe this killer/caregiver who's lived off the grid thirty years wants to be encumbered by a woman he's known for two days.

Every woman in the show has a "When I was a young girl" story, even Hazmad's wife.  Terrible, trite character building.

Emily's story is too implausible to believe and I don't care.

The flashback scenes have a cheap look about them.

At this point I'm only watching for Bridges and Lithgow's brilliant performances, which far outshine the material.

• Like 1

Like most people, I think the internet and home computers have made my attention span much shorter than it was, and streaming platforms that drop an entire season in one day have made me impatient.  This combines to make shows like The Old Man hard to commit to.  So far, this show has been like several on regular cable, where someone decided a story that would have been a great two-parter, or even a three or four part mini-series, should be a season long.  There's too much filler, and if the powers that be are expecting me to remember to tune in every Thursday night when the plan is not to reveal anything interesting until episode 5, I might be gone by then.

Having said that, Jeff Bridges can make almost anything watchable and the guy who plays his younger self is pretty good looking too (not many men are as good looking as a young Jeff Bridges) and John Lithgow is really good as well.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

(not many men are as good looking as a young Jeff Bridges)

Peak young Jeff Bridges (or damn close) is him as a football player in Against All Odds. Yowza. It's a very sexy movie.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 6/23/2022 at 11:25 PM, ChattyCathyLA said:

I’m hoping that I’m wrong, but it looked like the dog that was thrown through the glass door was badly hurt. …

On 6/23/2022 at 9:46 PM, ferjy said:

Guys, guys, rest easy. Even if the dogs don’t make it in the show... "No Animals Were Harmed in the Making of This Series". 

yes, many CGI pixels were hurt in that scene. ;)

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
On 6/23/2022 at 9:20 PM, LittleIggy said:

I’m speculating that it wasn’t a laundry-drying situation, so much as a laundry-airing situation.  That type of fabric gets musty in the desert IIRC.  It’s a thing I did when I lived in that part of the world.

Or: the continuity guy blew it bigtime.  Could also be that.

• Useful 2

The opening scene in this one made me laugh it was so over the top.  The bedpan hitman is shown returning from buying his grandmother's pain medicine while also helping a disabled woman.   He kills people for money, but he's actually a nice regular guy.  Oh brother.  None of these people make any logical sense that I can buy into.

• Love 2
On 6/23/2022 at 10:03 PM, ferjy said:

The actor playing the young version of him just doesn’t have the allure that Jeff Bridges had at that age. I keep picturing younger Jeff Bridges playing the part from what I’ve seen in his movies.

I watched Jeff Bridges recently in “Starman”, one of my all time favorites.  I keep expecting him to do the special little bird-like twitches and broken English like Starman did.  He and Karen Allen were magic.  

• Like 2
  • Love 2
On 6/23/2022 at 11:20 PM, LittleIggy said:

I was thinking the same thing!  The clothes still looked dusty and dirty.

On 6/24/2022 at 1:25 AM, ChattyCathyLA said:

I sure hope that in the last scene, with Chase looking wistful as he opens the car’s trunk in the middle of nowhere, he is not about to bury one of  his beloved Rottweilers.  I cannot imagine why else he would be out there with something obviously in the trunk that he is not happy about.  

I think Zoe is in the trunk.  She didn’t seem to happy about going with him so he probably had to force her into it.

On 6/23/2022 at 10:06 PM, AimingforYoko said:

I was surprised Angela was the daughter. I knew when she was played by Alia Shawkat, she'd be more important than Harper's No. 2, but I didn't see that coming. And she was with Harper's son? How planned was this?

I called it!  I’m proud of myself, I usually can’t figure anything out.  Heh.  Was Harper’s son also in the CIA?  Maybe they were friends, as I’m pretty sure Harper’s son was married.  I don’t think she would be so chummy with the family if they were having an affair, but maybe it was kept secret.

On 6/26/2022 at 4:17 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

And why would Hamzad be more important to the agency than a respected, retired career person?

I don’t know if the respected, retired career person you are referring to is Chase or Harper.  If it’s Chase, he supposedly betrayed the agency by going rogue so I don’t think the government would have any loyalty to someone they consider a traitor.  If it’s Harper, the agency knows he helped Chase at some point so maybe they are thinking he wants to redeem himself by finally capturing Chase.  

1 hour ago, mostlylurking said:

I don’t know if the respected, retired career person you are referring to is Chase or Harper.  If it’s Chase, he supposedly betrayed the agency by going rogue so I don’t think the government would have any loyalty to someone they consider a traitor.  If it’s Harper, the agency knows he helped Chase at some point so maybe they are thinking he wants to redeem himself by finally capturing Chase.  

I didn’t see any proof Harper did anything wrong at the beginning. They seemed to jump on the Hamzad bandwagon out of the gate, without asking any questions or conducting an investigation. Suddenly, this underling starts accusing him with just his gut feeling.  If he was mistrusted, why did he get a call from the agency to come out of retirement?  He was fine one minute, then turned on the next with no real basis, that they were aware of.  It didn’t work for me.  

21 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Suddenly, this underling starts accusing him with just his gut feeling.  If he was mistrusted, why did he get a call from the agency to come out of retirement?

I’m not understanding why the agency would put Waters at the head of the investigation either, especially if it’s on Hamzed’s orders. However in this episode Harper admitted that he helped Chase so the agency must be aware of that and they might consider that a betrayal, so if Harper comes out of retirement to help them now he could redeem his reputation in their eyes.