Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Crushed

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

dbe3ef831b4bf59d850c50b5a0293db5_4096x27
bkp0305_102_comp_v006_a18f85c8.jpeg?regi

I am still not convinced that I like Kamala, since she is running through the halls of a place of worship.

The show seems to have warped sense of how time works. Kamala had enough time to change into her costume and walk over to the kid to rescue him. It would have been faster to run to the window the kid fell out of and scoop him up with a giant hand and pull him back through the window. I would have hid behind something and shot a bolt that would have pushed him back through the window he fell out of. Anyhoo, the kid was an idiot.

Why does it seem like that dinner was just about the first time that Amir's Fiancée Tyesha has met the Khan family, instead of like they are about to plan a wedding.

Why did it seem like Zoe Zimmer has known Kamran a long time, when she invited him to her party. Was it Kamran's first day at school?

Why was Bruno sitting on Nakia's lap when they were in the car, shouldn't it have been the other way around or maybe Nakia sitting on George's lap since it seemed like he was her boyfriend.

At the end, that was Kamala's Great Grandmother Aisha which means that Kamran should be off limits.

I thought Kamala's mother was very nice in this one, I am still not sure why they didn't call an ambulance when Kamala passed out.
bdp0715_102_comp_v004_d217782f.jpeg?regibkk1300_102_comp_v055_4a0f9f60.jpeg?regi

• Love 1
(edited)

So with "Crushed" after "Generation Why", that's two episodes that have taken episode titles from the Ms Marvel TPBs.

Muneeba burying her family's history is reminiscent of Encanto's Madrigals hiding (their) Bruno. Or Turning Red's Ming Lee hiding the red panda tradition.

Agent Cleary needs a "bad cop" partner for these kinds of lil chats, because doing it all himself, he went from good cop to bad cop in five seconds. And then he did have a bad cop partner!!! Why wasn't Agent Deever in the room the whole time?

The Endgame Vormir scene mini-parody was fantastic. Wish I hadn't been spoiled for it from an episode preview.

Even if Zoe goes to a very diverse school, there's almost no possible way a few seconds of interacting with a masked Kamala in a somewhat darkened room was enough for her to tell if the "enhanced individual" was Latina vs Middle Eastern vs South Asian.

Oh shit, Kamran's not just a student??!? (I honestly don't remember the comics that well, d'oh.)

1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

or maybe Nakia sitting on George's lap since it seemed like he was her boyfriend.

I don't think Nakia has a boyfriend or else Miguel wouldn't have been "hovering".

BTW, it felt like the people at Eid were mad at "Nightlight" for not perfectly rescuing the kid, but he would have died if she hadn't been there! So he hurt his ankle, so what. He shouldn't have been hanging halfway out a high window to begin with.

Edited by arc
  • Applause 1
  • Love 9

So Kamran might actually be Kamala's great uncle? Is that problematic from a romantic perspective or is that far enough removed? Either way, that's going to be complicated if true.

I was vibing with this episode quite a bit more than the last one. Still some dull segments, but not as many and they toned down the drawings around the live action footage (again, I'm usually all for different and intersting visuals, but this feel very corporate to me, not creative at all). I guess I'll see where this goes. Hopefully it has steady improvement.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, PurpleTentacle said:

I was vibing with this episode quite a bit more than the last one.

Me too. I understand that first episodes are usually information dumps but last week's episode didn't give me much hope for the series. This episode though has course corrected my enthusiasm to the point I'm happy to hand wave the fact there is no way Kamala had time to suit up and still save the idiotic boy.

I honestly thought that Kamran was a spy for the not-FBI at one stage. Glad I was wrong on that, but the reveal he is the son of great-grandma? explains why he zoomed in on connecting with Kamala. I'm predicting there won't be any love matching going forward. But Kamala won't be revealing this information to Bruno for a while so we can continue to have the 'hilarious' boy with obvious crush gets jealous over boy that they think their crush is crushing on. I have no idea if Bruno and Kamala are an item in the comics.

With last week's episode I said I was getting Stargirl vibes with this show, and after this episode I feel I need to add it gives me vibes of Stargirl if it was a Disney Channel show.

That little chat in the diner over their favourite actor was referencing the guy from Eternals right? After Moon Knight had basically zero references to the MCU, I'm finding it a bit obnoxious how much the characters are referring to MCU events - don't get me wrong I understand why since Kamala is a huge fan of the Avengers, but it's like the writers weren't told to be more subtle, including being a bit more chill in referencing other Disney properties like Star Wars.

• Love 1

I liked Kamala's mom responding "I do not understand the question" when Bruno said his outfit was too bright. I also got a kick out of Kamran just picking a name out of thin air to say he was related to Uncle So-and-So and this time it actually worked! I'll spoiler code the bit from Hawkeye for any who haven't seen it:

Spoiler

Kate, picking a name at random to explain her presence: Gary sent me.
Random dude who has no idea what is going on: I'm Gary!
Kate: You see, Gary, this is why this isn't going to work out. I quit!

I'm enjoying that so far this show has pretty low stakes although it seems like we have an opponent now in the Department of Damage Control.

• Like 2
  • Love 6

While Captain Marvel is obviously Kamala's favorite, I noticed she referenced Ant-Man again, so I'm starting to wonder if he's in second place for her.  Really, I kind of would love to see a ranking of heroes according to Kamala (I imagine Thor is up there too since it sounded like she was really hoping to be Asgardian at one point!)

Always nice to see a good old-fashioned rooftop training montage!  Looks like Kamala's strengths right now are with creating those crystal things in the air to help run and jump around, but it seems clear she is capable of a lot more.  Question is will she able to hone everything in time for the eventual big threat (wherever it is Damage Control or someone/something else.)

Liked getting more of Kamala's other friend, Nakia, in this one and learning more about her.  Sounds like she is from a family that isn't as big with the Muslim faith as others, which is why her worshipping and wearing a hijab has caused conflict within: kind of the opposite of Kamala and her family in a lot of ways.  Her running for the position in the mosque sounds intriguing.  Poor Yusuf is so torn now!  

Aamir's fiancee seems nice.  Especially debating the merits of Bon Jovi songs!

Loved the Bollywood stuff and them not only referencing real films and starts, but also talking about the good old Kingo era(s)!

I'm sure "Nightlight" will receive criticism for not sticking the landing with the save, but considering the kid would have flat-out died if she wasn't there, the public better keep their asses in check.  But I can definitely see someone like J. Jonah Jameson using this to rant about how she's just as bad as Spider-Man or some shit.

Thought this Kamran was being set-up as a love interest, but it sounds like he might actually be a distant relative of some kind?  That has to be a no go now, right?

Iman Vellani really is a star in the making.  Perfect casting.

Another good episode! 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

Always nice to see a good old-fashioned rooftop training montage! 

I'm pretty sure the Georgia-Pacific building, Georgian Terrace Hotel and the Fox Theatre (The Mosque) are not in Jersey City though...

• LOL 1

I love that picking a random name for an uncle to be related to actually worked! This episode was a lot of fun, I like that they are using Kamala's powers as a way for her to learn more about her family history, it sounds like the Khan's have some real issues from back in the day that no one seems to want to talk about. We also got some more information about her friends, Bruno gets a scholarship offered to him for a semester at CalTech, but he's worried about leaving Kamala, and her friend Nakia gets some more characterization, in her activism and in her issues surrounding her identity. 

The story about how Muneeba's mom found her father by "following the stars" does sound a bit like Kamala's powers doesn't it? She even used stars to save the little boy who fell off the roof. I liked the tour of the cliques through their mosque, especially the illumin-aunties. 

I guess Damage Control hasn't improved when it comes to dealing with superhero's, first they make a mess of it with Peter, and now they have fully embraced the "shoot first, ask questions later" approach to finding people with powers. Oh Tony, I know you meant well, but so many things you did to try and fix things just made things so much worse. They really need a better way to deal with finding people with powers, preferably ones that don't involve so much shooting. They even made me feel bad for Zoe, who clearly doesn't want to get a person who saved her to get in trouble and was uncomfortable by how quickly they seemed to start racially profiling. 

It seemed like they were setting up Kamran as a love interest, but now they might be related? Then that crush is certainly going to be ending fast! I like that we are setting things up slowly, while we have Damage Control as antagonists we are still mostly just having fun following Kamala around, with almost slice of life vibes as we get to know her friends, family, and community while she explores her powers. It makes for a fun, rather breezy watch, even if it seems like things will be getting more serious soon. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
11 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

So Kamran might actually be Kamala's great uncle?

There’s gotta be at least a chance that woman in the back seat isn’t actually Kamala’s great grandmother but just someone who is employing a superpower (or something) to make her look like Aisha.

edit: shoe thief revealed!

Edited by arc
  • Mind Blown 5
  • Love 2

Well I guess Kamala didn't lie that Kamran is related to them. He's the son of her immoral immortal grandmother. So now I wonder if they are kind of following the comics where the grandmother is part Kree like Carol who also doesn't age.

Damage control guy was probably like it worked with Ned to get Zoe talking. Only she didn't fall for it like he did. Could they really see her skin color in that crappy footage? Since they were guessing latina, middle eastern or south Asian. 

Is nightlight going to team up with night monkey? Lol

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

He's the son of her immoral grandmother.

You've been listening too much to the Illuminaunties. (I know you meant immortal.)

Bruno will definitely be pleased by this development. I don't think he's got a shot, though.

• LOL 7
10 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

You've been listening too much to the Illuminaunties. (I know you meant immortal.)

Bruno will definitely be pleased by this development. I don't think he's got a shot, though.

Both work (according to the aunties). Lol. 

• LOL 1
(edited)

Oh, twist ending. 

I chuckled at Kamala saying she and AntMan both look younger than they are.

I love the Illuminaunties and Bruno's very bright outfit. I hope Nakia wins the election. Her argument to convince Kamala's dad to vote for her was perfect. It sounded like people were mad at "Nightlight" after the boy fell, but they're lucky all he has is a broken ankle; he would've died if Kamala wasn't there to save him. 

Edited by phalange
  • Love 1

As a South Asian Muslim woman I love this show. I relate to Kamala on a spiritual level since once upon a time I too was a first-generation teenager trying to fit in at an American school. Also the cultural and religious touches are perfect, like playing Jalebi Baby and the Bollywood discussions and the mosque cliques. It’s like a mirror of my own life.

”Mashallah”

”What does that mean?”

”Damn!”

Lol.

Also poor Bruno. I felt so bad for him trying to get in on the Bollywood movie discussion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 9

I really like that they're telling a personal story about a somewhat awkward teen trying to find her place in two cultures, rather than yet another end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it story... although the series is still young.

Iman Vellani is so charming in the role!

I know nothing of the Ms. Marvel comics, and I'm enjoying the ride so far.

Do Bruno and Kamala get a ship name?

• Like 1
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I am still not convinced that I like Kamala, since she is running through the halls of a place of worship.

*gasps* *clutches pearls* *faints*

Why did it seem like Zoe Zimmer has known Kamran a long time, when she invited him to her party. Was it Kamran's first day at school?

she asked him if he was the new senior, if she had known him for a long time she would've known that.

• Love 4

It weirdly seemed like Zoe might know that it was Kamala.  They used to be close friends, so maybe she recognized her?

Also, Eternals reference makes me more sure that that bracer is one of their "gifts" that is still hanging around.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/15/2022 at 6:34 AM, Bill1978 said:

That little chat in the diner over their favourite actor was referencing the guy from Eternals right? After Moon Knight had basically zero references to the MCU, I'm finding it a bit obnoxious how much the characters are referring to MCU events - don't get me wrong I understand why since Kamala is a huge fan of the Avengers, but it's like the writers weren't told to be more subtle, including being a bit more chill in referencing other Disney properties like Star Wars.

This is like being annoyed that a teenager is talking about Stranger Things, Beyoncé or something. In this world, you probably can't get more popular or important than the Avengers. Of course, people talk about them. It would be nonsense if they didn't. It's also funny, I barely notice any of these references you are throwing out. I'm sure it's because they come out in general conversations. Like....real life. I can barely go on the internet and not see something marvel related. Everyday when I go to work, they are usually brought up in some context. Imagine living in a world where the avengers are actually doing this shit and we are living in it. Who cares about anything else?

Edited by Racj82
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
(edited)

Really enjoying the show so far, even if bits of Kamala's story and power-set have been changed. 

Feels like it is pitched quite young, which is appropriate for Ms Marvel - I'm curious to see how the rest of the season goes, how scary it eventually gets, since our 6yo adores Kamala Khan and has done ever since the moment she saw her mentioned on a single page in an early reader book about Captain Marvel, so I'm sure she would love this too. So far there has been nothing she couldn't watch, although a lot of the dialogue would go over her head, but I'm hesitant to let her start, as there is a way to go yet.

Edited by Llywela
typo
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Racj82 said:

This is like being annoyed that a teenager is talking about Stranger Things, Beyoncé or something. In this world, you probably can't get more popular or important than the Avengers. Of course, people talk about them. It would be nonsense if they didn't.

It was also relevant because they were talking about Bollywood movies and Kingo is a Bollywood star in this universe. Though I’m not entirely sure they’re aware that Kingo is an Eternal.

5 hours ago, tkc said:

By the way, wasn't it adorable (or "adorbs", as her counsellor "Gabe" might say) how Kamala hit the superhero pose after she landed?

285596646_402028761835686_5626644942438655728_n.thumb.jpg.a61dfa72f252f91fa4016d29adf6d976.jpg

Yelena would call her a poser!

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Though I’m not entirely sure they’re aware that Kingo is an Eternal.

They’re not, hence the discussion about which member of the dynasty is better.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Minneapple said:

It was also relevant because they were talking about Bollywood movies and Kingo is a Bollywood star in this universe. Though I’m not entirely sure they’re aware that Kingo is an Eternal.

Yeah, they probably dont know.

Kingo would probably be huge to them. His whole "family". Especially current era Kingo who I'm sure also found a way to crossover to in America. If people are talking about other people in the mcu throughout projects all I ask is that it makes sense to the characters/show. 

What I found annoying was stuff like the Daredevil series where they randomly bring up stuff like "the event" or "the green guy" for a second. It felt so tacked on not realistic to people in world where you saw an alien invasion being fought off by superheroes. Even if you were one yourself. You would probably be more intrigued.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Great episode. I really liked getting more of Nakia and am rooting for her to put the uncles in their place.

Kamala and Kamran's "driving lesson" was so fun, from the Kingo references to hiding behind the menu. I loved that Kamran's excuses to Aamir actually worked, both the "oh, I'm Uncle So-and-So's nephew" bit and claiming that he was only pretending to do a British accent because he's obsessed with the Great British Bake-Off. Tyesha totally saw through it though, right? She was giving me definite, "Okay, Aamir, let's leave Kamala to catch up with her 'cousin,' wink wink," vibes.

Oh man, Iman Vellani is such a star. I laughed out loud when she amazedly asked, "Am I drunk?" after spitting out one swallow of a spiked drink at the party (although Kamala, you need to work on your party safety skills!) And she was SO feeling herself with that superhero landing pose.

The Eid celebration was a lot of fun. I really liked all the different mosque cliques (the Illumin-Aunties, lol!), and I loved Muneeba calmly saying, "I don't understand the question," when Bruno asked if his shirt was too bright.

• Like 1
  • Love 10

minor details on rewatch:

* Ant-Man's powers are well known but it seems like it's not well known that he doesn't inherently have powers, it's just his equipment.

* There's another free digital comic book issue via QR code. This week it's for Ms Marvel v1 #15 (read it soon, I think they rotate them each week), which is where it turned out Kamran was a big jerk. The details are very different so I'll spoiler tag them for anyone who hasn't read it yet: 

Spoiler

Kamran is another new Inhuman, much like Kamala, and is working with some shady Inhumans so they've been trying to pull Kamala to their side but have been doing it in a fairly clumsy, "join us or else" kind of way.

* The DODC drones aren't quite like EDITH drones. Similar size, but different shape overall. And the guns DODC drew on Kamala had a high pitched whine as they powered up -- probably stun guns, not bullets. One of the stun (?) charges knocked her out of the air.

• Love 1
On 6/15/2022 at 11:38 PM, Sakura12 said:

Well I guess Kamala didn't lie that Kamran is related to them. He's the son of her immoral immortal grandmother.

*Great grandmother.

So that would make him her great uncle (as said above). I vote for calling him Gruncle Kamran, if this turns out to be true.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I've been finding the story a bit uneven, though admittedly I'm not the target teenage demographic. But the cast is all killing it. Iman Vellani shifts tones so effortlessly that every scene feels natural. You'd think that walking through the halls in this episode compared to the premiere would be hard to pull off both ways. But I totally believed her awkwardness the first time and the mojo this one. She's got quite a future.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I was surprised the opening sequence was actually happening, rather than all being in Kamala's head. Do kids in her school always react as openly and positively to newfound confidence as that? But Iman managed to pull off that obnoxious, smug confidence really well.

I get why they reworked Ms. Marvel's powers, because the embiggening stuff looks so goofy, but these powers are very Green Lantern-esque.

I still really like the editing and graphics being used. It gives the show a hectic, ADD feel that makes sense for a show about Kamala. It's definitely geared to appeal to teens, which is absolutely fine. Not all Marvel fans are 35 year old white guys.

I like Nakia. Glad we got more of her this episode because she should be a good supportive, wisecracking sidekick. She seems more focused than Kamala but then, who doesn't?

Kind of novel to see worshipping in a mosque in a show that isn't a political action thriller about an intrepid spy trying to catch evil Muslim terrorists. I appreciate that they're showing us a Muslim's POV, that Mosques are warm, welcoming places, even if they are a bit run down and the women don't get the same treatment as men.

New, hot guy is a bit of a wrench in Bruno's secret plans to be with Kamala, huh? All very John Hughes, with the nerdy girl who wants to be cool not seeing how much the nerdy boy who wants to be nerdy likes her. But the actor seems too old to be playing any romantic scenes with Iman Vellani. So I'm very happy that they're apparently too related for romance.

"Did you not eat anything? Or did you eat too much?" Shades of Police Chief Wiggum, there.

Damage Control seem a little moustache-twirly, so far. I hope there's more to them than that.

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Damage Control seem a little moustache-twirly, so far. I hope there's more to them than that.

So far in relation to old school S.H.I.E.LD., S.W.O.R.D and Jimmy Woo's ex S.H.I.E.L.D. now F.B.I. agent they, Damage Control, do seem to be the Keystone wannabes of agents dealing with the enhanced

10 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Well, they shot at a kid.  While it was not directly an offensive weapon, a fall from that height could easily have killed her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, SnarkShark said:

Well, they shot at a kid.  While it was not directly an offensive weapon, a fall from that height could easily have killed her.

But when she falls from the same height, while a giant tree limb falls on top of her, we just laugh off her shenanigans.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

But when she falls from the same height, while a giant tree limb falls on top of her, we just laugh off her shenanigans.

While we wouldn't laugh  it off if the fall was because the police, or Feds of Damage Control in this case tased her. Which brings us back to the mustache twirler agency. As an agency in  this and Spider-Man we have seen them just void a small businessman's contract, setting the foundations for the creation of a super villain.  Then interviewing juveniles without a parent or lawyers present to ultimately reaching a shoot first, even with some sort of stun weapon, before even trying to talk, solution to a new enhanced person in New Jersey.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Raja said:

While we wouldn't laugh  it off if the fall was because the police, or Feds of Damage Control in this case tased her. Which brings us back to the mustache twirler agency. As an agency in  this and Spider-Man we have seen them just void a small businessman's contract, setting the foundations for the creation of a super villain.  Then interviewing juveniles without a parent or lawyers present to ultimately reaching a shoot first, even with some sort of stun weapon, before even trying to talk, solution to a new enhanced person in New Jersey.

Now that she has superpowers we expect her fall a lot and get knocked around, it is part of the job.

• LOL 1
8 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Now that she has superpowers we expect her fall a lot and get knocked around, it is part of the job.

I fail to understand what any of your points on this issue have to do with shooting at someone they know who's a kid, especially in such a manner that it could easily have caused her death.  Someone who, at worst, based on their questioning, they suspected of pulling a publicity stunt.

What a Superhero is supposed to expect in terms of injury, or what she survived elsewhere, is off topic from law enforcement response, because we're not talking about her recovery, we're talking about how the cops are being portrayed. 

• Applause 3
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, SnarkShark said:

I fail to understand what any of your points on this issue have to do with shooting at someone they know who's a kid, especially in such a manner that it could easily have caused her death.

I don't understand why you think it is so bad that law enforcement shot at a kid and she might have died as a result of it. We all know that if they had shot her, she wouldn't had died, just like she should have died when the tree branch fell on her, but she didn't. All that really tells us is that the Feds of Damage Control are considered the bad guys in the story and we are going to have to watch to see how Kamala overcomes this problem. I am easing up on applying real world logic to the things that happen in this TV Show and just seeing where the show takes me. I thought the giant hammer swinging down and hitting Zoe Zimmer should have killed her, but no, she was fine, then the hammer smashed Zoe Zimmer into the wall, I thought she should be dead, but no, she was fine, then Zoe Zimmer was about to fall 3 feet to the floor and thought she would be fine after that fall, but no, Kamala made a giant hand to catch her and everybody on the show thought that Kamala saved Zoe Zimmer's life.

16 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

It all makes them look bad, which I assume was the intention.

I'm not so sure it IS their intention, which is why in an otherwise good show I'm worried about this aspect.  Admittedly they change things from the comics, but I don't recall Damage Control being heavies there.  Then again, they weren't law enforcement there either.  They were (literally) a construction company.   The comic books with them were actually comedies.  

Also, isn't it ironic that the guy, Cleary, threatened May Parker with child endangerment charges but his subordinate has someone shoot something at a different child designed to make her fall on pavement from a great height?  So are we supposed to conclude they're hypocrites, not just heavyhanded?

I'm trying to figure out if this is a deliberate parallel to Gen. Ross, Director Hayward, etc. and thus yet another statement about how the government can't be trusted to control this stuff, or if we're seeing actions that the writers see as just routine law enforcement stuff (rightly or wrongly--they could still be implying its heavyhanded).   Is there an active intention for Damage Control to be heavies, or are they just supposed to be a stumbling block for Kamala and stuff like questioning a minor or shooting something at a minor is going to be glossed over as story filler?  We shall see, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, SnarkShark said:

I'm not so sure it IS their intention, which is why in an otherwise good show I'm worried about this aspect.  Admittedly they change things from the comics, but I don't recall Damage Control being heavies there.  Then again, they weren't law enforcement there either.  They were (literally) a construction company.   The comic books with them were actually comedies.  

Also, isn't it ironic that the guy, Cleary, threatened May Parker with child endangerment charges but his subordinate has someone shoot something at a different child designed to make her fall on pavement from a great height?  So are we supposed to conclude they're hypocrites, not just heavyhanded?

I'm trying to figure out if this is a deliberate parallel to Gen. Ross, Director Hayward, etc. and thus yet another statement about how the government can't be trusted to control this stuff, or if we're seeing actions that the writers see as just routine law enforcement stuff (rightly or wrongly--they could still be implying its heavyhanded).   Is there an active intention for Damage Control to be heavies, or are they just supposed to be a stumbling block for Kamala and stuff like questioning a minor or shooting something at a minor is going to be glossed over as story filler?  We shall see, I guess.

I was thinking the Hydra infused S.H.I.E.L.D. myself as the pre Winter Soldier episodes hinted at how besides Agent Coulson they were dealing with enhanced.

• Like 1
On 6/20/2022 at 8:49 AM, SnarkShark said:

With Damage Control you have several things going on at once.  First, Kamala Khan isn't Peter Parker.  She's not a white kid from Queens who became an Avenger and Tony Stark's surrogate son.  She's an unknown brown person with weird (AKA threatening) powers.  So when pursuing her, the DC agent weren't firing at a "child."  They were firing at a target, trying to take her down with overwhelming (but basically non-lethal) force and hoping she wouldn't turn out to be willing and able to disintegrate the lot of them if that didn't work.  So there's the "militarized police" aspect to Damage Control.  Which seems likely to backfire on them when they inevitably do encounter someone both powerful and hostile.

Prior to that we had the mosque visit with the camera focused on the (jack?)boots that the Damage Control agents did not bother to remove.  So right there you have a combination of aggression and indifference toward the people from whom they'd like to gather information.  And then they exacerbated the situation with the attitude of "Don't you want to be one of the "good" Muslims?"  Five'll get you twenty that if someone on the show hasn't personally experienced that situation, they're close to somebody who did. 

They're probably not former HYDRA agents because, honestly, I think HYDRA agents would be smarter than that.  Damage Control is likely a bunch of ex-cops/ex-federal law enforcement folks who've been given a lot of ill-defined authority, a big budget and a bunch of toys (that they likely stole from Stark Industries).  Right now because they really don't know any better, they're falling back on "flash-the-badge" intimidation, the fact that they likely have oversight that's murky at best and (what they hope is) overwhelming force in any kind of confrontation.  They'll abuse a lot of rights, scare a bunch of people and ultimately run into someone (Dr. Doom, Magneto) who'll just eat them.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I loved this episode. 

Weirdly, last episode I was convinced that both Bruno and Zoe are blondes but this time they both look like red-heads. 

I love Nakia. I'm glad Bruno isn't Kamala's only friend.

I admit I'm not even slightly interested in the military-type opponents right now. I think it would be so much more interesting to just have her working on developing her abilities, understanding her history, and dealing with the challenges of everyday rescues, injustices, and challenges of superhero life. But maybe they will win me over if they actually make an interesting story about The Organization, and don't just use them to amp up the stakes at random moments.

Iman Vellani is fantastic. Really, all the acting is good. But she's amazing. 

On 6/15/2022 at 4:36 AM, AnimeMania said:

I am still not sure why they didn't call an ambulance when Kamala passed out.

I can't imagine calling an ambulance every time anybody faints. 

• Love 3

I was especially tickled and the various cliques of the mosque being described at the festival. Every religious community has similar sub groups 😂

My only question about Nakia’s campaign is would a minor be allowed on the Board? I could see them wanting a youth coordinator/educator on the board but I can’t see them letting a teenager serve on as a leader at the mosque. 

• Like 1