Type keyword(s) to search

S47.E21: Natasha Lyonne / Japanese Breakfast

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I had never heard of Japanese Breakfast or Luna Li but apparently Luna Li will be appearing with Japanese Breakfast on SNL. 

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-39/clip/15913595

The singer from Japanese Breakfast is named Michelle Zauner and she is also an author. She wrote the popular book Crying in H-Mart. 

Why was Maya dressed like a giant baby? She wears the weirdest stuff sometimes. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 8

I'm starting to think SNL is a pretty great workplace. Certainly a lot of cast members refer to it as home and speak well of Lorne. 

Did we really need the boat guy? I was hoping for another joke swap.

• Love 11
7 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Did we really need the boat guy? I was hoping for another joke swap

Especially if that was the last time for them together there.

• Love 4

Cold Open: One last alien abduction sketch since it's Kate's (and Aidy's) last episode. Great to see Natasha Lyonne in a cold open. I gotta feeling this was supposed to be later in the night, but they're gonna fit in a tribute or two for the other leaving castmates so they put it here in place of whatever lukewarm political sketch. Fitting that Kate leaves the show a la Close Encounters. And we finally get to see the aliens!

Monologue: Natasha Lyonne is a delight. Maya and Fred came in to do their impressions of her! And they showed her on Pee-Wee's Playhouse, too! 

I'm Stupid: This was great. The ad being about voting was the perfect capper for this. "Vote. For a tall man." Aidy was so good in this, and props to JAJ for just sticking that whole water bottle down his throat.

Radio: Natasha was perfect as an old timey baseball broadcaster (who's been taking meth). I loved her energy here.

Lounge: I could watch Kenan ask for Nasonex all day. Him playing off Natasha Lyonne was delight. This was such a dumb fun sketch that definitely worked because of those two.

Prom 2002: Love sketches that use everyone. We all knew a Rachel Finster. How many people has she killed? Also, figured at least one of those kids went to January 6th. They were definitely channeling Jack Handey for this one, it had his vibe.

WU: Every single joke was great tonight. Colin was smirking a little too much at the black rabbi joke lol. Loved seeing Just Bought A Boat Guy again, and it was good to see the Trend Forecasters again one last time for Aidy. THAT was a good sendoff for her. Navel oranges are back in again, just because. And it was good to see Pete one last time. 

9:15-5:10: They went to Weekend at Bernie's territory quickly, I loved it. Natasha was a trooper to try not to react to being tickled and manhandled. This was such a delightful mess. Fred Armisen being there really helped it, I don't know why.

Grey Adult Pigtails: One last Kate & Aidy sketch! And Kyle was here, too!

Man, this was a good one to go out on. I don't think there was a stinker in the bunch. See you all in the fall!

• Love 16
11 minutes ago, opus said:

Especially if that was the last time for them together there.

Aren't they hosting WU again next year? They're my favorite WU hosts out of all the years. (I really liked Colin and Cecily too.)

Overall I thought it was a disappointing show. I think there was an amusing sketch or two at the top, but then they ranged from mediocre to awful (the psychic in the lounge and 9 ish to 5 ish).

• Love 11
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Cold Open: One last alien abduction sketch since it's Kate's (and Aidy's) last episode. Great to see Natasha Lyonne in a cold open. I gotta feeling this was supposed to be later in the night, but they're gonna fit in a tribute or two for the other leaving castmates so they put it here in place of whatever lukewarm political sketch. Fitting that Kate leaves the show a la Close Encounters. And we finally get to see the aliens!

Monologue: Natasha Lyonne is a delight. Maya and Fred came in to do their impressions of her! And they showed her on Pee-Wee's Playhouse, too! 

I'm Stupid: This was great. The ad being about voting was the perfect capper for this. "Vote. For a tall man." Aidy was so good in this, and props to JAJ for just sticking that whole water bottle down his throat.

Radio: Natasha was perfect as an old timey baseball broadcaster (who's been taking meth). I loved her energy here.

Lounge: I could watch Kenan ask for Nasonex all day. Him playing off Natasha Lyonne was delight. This was such a dumb fun sketch that definitely worked because of those two.

Prom 2002: Love sketches that use everyone. We all knew a Rachel Finster. How many people has she killed? Also, figured at least one of those kids went to January 6th. They were definitely channeling Jack Handey for this one, it had his vibe.

WU: Every single joke was great tonight. Colin was smirking a little too much at the black rabbi joke lol. Loved seeing Just Bought A Boat Guy again, and it was good to see the Trend Forecasters again one last time for Aidy. THAT was a good sendoff for her. Navel oranges are back in again, just because. And it was good to see Pete one last time. 

9:15-5:10: They went to Weekend at Bernie's territory quickly, I loved it. Natasha was a trooper to try not to react to being tickled and manhandled. This was such a delightful mess. Fred Armisen being there really helped it, I don't know why.

Grey Adult Pigtails: One last Kate & Aidy sketch! And Kyle was here, too!

Man, this was a good one to go out on. I don't think there was a stinker in the bunch. See you all in the fall!

I pretty much agree with this, although I thought Lounge and 9-5 were just okay.  Overall, a strong finale and nice send-off to Kate and Aidy (and Kyle and Pete).  

I also enjoyed Japanese Breakfast.  I've heard her a few times interviewed on NPR, but this is the first time I've seen her perform.  

And, as always, thanks @Galileo908for your amazing recaps every week!  Have a great summer everyone!!

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 6
(edited)

I thought it was mostly a  good if underwhelming show. Natasha Lyonne was a fantastic host. She has an offbeat demeanor that works really well. She should have hosted before now. The old baseball sketch was amazing. And she worked well in both the Lounge and 9 to 5 meets Weekend at Bernie's sketches.

Each of the four announced cast departures got their goodbyes. I was worried about Kyle, but he got in there at the end. I guess I was expecting more of a Wiig SPECTACULAR send-off for them as a group. This wasn't that. but I have a feeling they got the goodbyes they wanted. it was just more low-key than I wanted and what they deserved IMO.

With apologies (sorta) to Carrie Bradshaw,

And just like that.... the season was over.

I really don't think Fred and Maya were needed. 

2 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Vote.  Because stupid people vote, too.

Funny...and scary and true... 

I  couldn't help but flashback to Gilda and Candice Bergen's legendary sketch with this. It seemed like an update.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 8
(edited)

I liked the old Yankees announcer and the Vote and Prom videos were great, especially the latter. I also enjoyed Weekend Update and thought Pete's segment was funny, disappointed that we didn't get a Che/Jost joke swap. 

That was about it, though, and overall I thought it was a pretty weak finale. I did think Natasha Lyonne was a pretty good host, she just didn't have much to work with.

Edited by Slade347
  • Love 12
(edited)
1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

I'm starting to think SNL is a pretty great workplace. Certainly a lot of cast members refer to it as home and speak well of Lorne. 

I guess it depends on the years and who the ensemble was. I've read that some years were distressingly competitive, and then there were cast members who seemed to hate each other (Chase and Murray). This crew seems really good-natured, and I can see them being very supportive of each other.

Do Jost and Che usually do the joke swap in the season finale? If so, waaaah. I love that.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Love 2
(edited)

All of those sketches in the first half were so bad.  I had no reactions to them at all!

The cold open, monologue, all of Weekend Update were great.  9:15 to 5:10 or whatever was mildly amusing.  Grey pigtails, meh once again.  What were the writers even doing?

I saw the lead singer of Japanese Breakfast on Fallon, Michelle Zauner.  She's a published author, she wrote "Crying in H Mart"!  

2 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Did we really need the boat guy? I was hoping for another joke swap.

LOL, I honestly liked him, but I forgot about the joke swap.

I did not know that Natasha Lyonne and Fred Armisen were together for 7 years.  Chloe Sevigny also spoke about her on Fallon.

It really looks like Kate and Kyle were hugging and crying at the end there.  Like Kate was either wiping off her tears from his cheek, or his tears.  I barely remember them even working together.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I agree it wasn't a very good show.  I'm really surprised Pete Davidson is leaving, he's had a pretty short stay on the show.  But I guess Chevy Chase only stayed one year.  I wish him well.  Kate too.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I'm really surprised Pete Davidson is leaving, he's had a pretty short stay on the show. 

He had 8 years -- longer than some people who were much more talented. 

I would've loved to see Aidy and Kate do their farm-owning sisters instead of the gray pigtails. 

• Love 9
(edited)

That's true, Pete really has been on that long.  I swear I heard him say 3 years ago on WU, but I guess he meant that's when the eyepatch incident happened.  I had no idea he'd been there that long.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, JeanJean said:

Aren't they hosting WU again next year? They're my favorite WU hosts out of all the years. (I really liked Colin and Cecily too.)

Overall I thought it was a disappointing show. I think there was an amusing sketch or two at the top, but then they ranged from mediocre to awful (the psychic in the lounge and 9 ish to 5 ish).

Michael Che Wants To Leave And People Think Colin Will Probably Also Leave ! ! Colin And Cecily WERE HORRIBLE On Week End Update ! ! Colin Just Smiled And Seemed Like A Robot ! ! Cecily WAS NOT Good AT Telling Jokes ! She WAs Just NOT Funny ! I Only Thought Their Last Time They WERE On Weekend Update As The Hosts That That One Was Funny, But, IT Was Too Late ! 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, vb68 said:

I thought it was mostly a  good if underwhelming show. Natasha Lyonne was a fantastic host. She has an offbeat demeanor that works really well. She should have hosted before now. The old baseball sketch was amazing. And she worked well in both the Lounge and 9 to 5 meets Weekend at Bernie's sketches.

Each of the four announced cast departures got their goodbyes. I was worried about Kyle, but he got in there at the end. I guess I was expecting more of a Wiig SPECTACULAR send-off for them as a group. This wasn't that. but I have a feeling they got the goodbyes they wanted. it was just more low-key than I wanted and what they deserved IMO.

With apologies (sorta) to Carrie Bradshaw,

And just like that.... the season was over.

I really don't think Fred and Maya were needed. 

I  couldn't help but flashback to Gilda and Candice Bergen's legendary sketch with this. It seemed like an update.

I Think IT Is Better That They Left This Way ! ! ! ! I Think Nobody Would Notice Kyle Leaving OR Even Pete Leaving IF They Were Together In A Group ! Kate Was Perfect In The Opening Sketch And Have Her Leave Earth ! ! Aidy Was Great In Trend Setters And The Other Sketches ! ! You Can See People Doing Things ! IF They Were In A Group, They Would Just Stand There Doing Nothing ! ! ! ! 

9 hours ago, Slade347 said:

I liked the old Yankees announcer and the Vote and Prom videos were great, especially the latter. I also enjoyed Weekend Update and thought Pete's segment was funny, disappointed that we didn't get a Che/Jost joke swap. 

That was about it, though, and overall I thought it was a pretty weak finale. I did think Natasha Lyonne was a pretty good host, she just didn't have much to work with.

Did You Like The Alien Sketch ? I Thought That Was Almost the Best Sketch And Was Perfect For How Kate Left ! I Also Liked The Stupid People Vote And The Baseball Announcer ! ! 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mediocre Gatsby said:

He had 8 years -- longer than some people who were much more talented. 

Eight years!  I thought he had said three years on WU, but I guess Ms. Blue Jay explained that.  

I can't believe he's been on there eight years, that's astonishing how fast time has gone.

• Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

LOL, I honestly liked him, but I forgot about the joke swap.

I like the boat guy. Alex is great at delivering those awful lines. "Be like Napoleon and bone her parts." I don't like the joke swap. It's just an excuse to have politically incorrect jokes.

8 hours ago, Mediocre Gatsby said:

I would've loved to see Aidy and Kate do their farm-owning sisters instead of the gray pigtails. 

Me too. The pigtails sketch wasn't much. I would have preferred either the farm-owning sisters or the cat ladies.

I was disappointed in the show. I was so looking forward to Natasha, but I didn't really like her. She was basically the same in all the sketches.

Loved seeing the alien abduction sketch again. This may be my favorite Kate character, and what a perfect way to send her off. I teared up watching her tear up getting on the spacecraft. 

The monologue was fine. Loved Fred's and Maya's impressions. "Cockaroach."

The stupid-people-voting sketch was good. I hope some people don't take it the wrong way, by which I mean, I hope they don't think that people who vote are stupid. The unstated message is, There are lots of stupid people voting, so YOU need to vote, too!

Loved seeing the Trend Forecasters. 

The goodbyes. I think this is the first time I cried watching them.

Edited by peeayebee
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

I sort of resented it for not really using the cast. So their bodies were dancing, so what -- the real performance was all Dismukes and it was ok.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, JeanJean said:

Do Jost and Che usually do the joke swap in the season finale? If so, waaaah. I love that.

I think it's usually the Christmas show, which was Covid impacted this season so it was Che and Tina Fey half way hosting, but not swapping jokes. 

• Love 6

Sorry, but I didn't find one sketch that was funny. Maybe the stupid people video, sort of. But barely.

Natasha Lyonne was delightful with her quirky personality, and the girl does have acting chops! 

But as said upthread, she didnt have much to work with in terms of great written sketches.

• Love 8

The band scene with Kenan reminded me of the what’s up with that sketch. No idea why Cecily was there - I was worried we were going to have to listen to her singing another song.

• Love 2

Have they ever opened with the alien abduction sketch before? That actually turned out to be rather poignant. <golf claps>.

I didn't realize Natasha Lyonne had achieved hosting status. The only thing I'm aware of ever seeing her in is Orange is the New Black. Sounds like she's kinda well-connected to SNL and has also paid her show business dues. I had no idea.

Pete needs to rethink that mustache unless it's for a role. And I didn't get the joke about Lorne gifting him a sock. But it was touching to see him get teary-eyed after he finished his WU sign-off.

Apparently Natasha being ticklish is a backstage joke? She didn't break though--not much anyway.

Not the worst season finale. This whole season has been comparatively weak IMO.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Loved seeing the alien abduction sketch again. This may be my favorite Kate character, and what a perfect way to send her off. I teared up watching her tear up getting on the spacecraft.

Same! I also teared up when Aidy’s Trend Setter got kisses from her best guys. Pete’s WU didn’t make me tear up and it wasn’t super funny, but I did really appreciate it. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Definitely my favorite Kate sketch.  I could have watched twice as many as they've shown.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Pete needs to rethink that mustache unless it's for a role. And I didn't get the joke about Lorne gifting him a sock. But it was touching to see him get teary-eyed after he finished his WU sign-off.

It's a Harry Potter reference.

I have a soft spot for Pete. He's self-aware, and I appreciate how open he is about his mental health. SNL probably saved his life.

• Useful 2
  • Love 14
16 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

It's a Harry Potter reference.

I have a soft spot for Pete. He's self-aware, and I appreciate how open he is about his mental health. SNL probably saved his life.

Same here. I want only the best for him.

• Love 6

Weak ending to a pretty weak season. On the other hand perfect sendoff for Kate and almost perfect for Aidy. as for Kyle, they will find someone else to do really weird videos and Baby Yoda, but they wont find anyone that can do the impressions that Kate did. Probably the greatest female cast member, barely beating out Gilda, but far ahead of the rest.

He was a weak cast member.....one memorable character (Chad) and mostly doing stand-up about himself and his messed up personal life. I'm glad SNL saved his life, but all the headlines are about him leaving when they should be honoring Kate, who will truly be missed!

• Love 7
9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I don't like the joke swap. It's just an excuse to have politically incorrect jokes.

Yes.  If anything, it makes them even more offensive. 

• Love 3