Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: Hit and Run

• Start Topic

(edited)

Jimmy in the Howard makeup was hilarious.

Wow, our first look at Saul Goodman’s office! Kind of hard to believe what a hold in the wall it was compared to the tacky mansion he wound up living in.

Say what you will about Gus, but he won’t let being a drug kingpin interfere with making high-quality fast food. And he has a pretty efficient security system.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 20
1 minute ago, Constantinople said:

Mike's undercover guy masquerading as a fry cook isn't up to Los Pollos Hermanos standards.

LOL.

of course Gus is as equally concerned about high quality fast food as he is about his own safety.

• LOL 3
  • Love 12
(edited)

Taco Cabeza reference! 

Kuby's name called out!   They actually said the name "Rocco Kubler." But c'mon . . . Kuby/Kubler?? No way that wasn't intentional! 

Spooge! 

Wendi! 

Saul's office!! 

So many BB easter eggs!! 

46 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Say what you will about Gus, but he won’t let being a drug kingpin interfere with making high-quality fast food. 

I cracked up.  Do. Not. Mess. With. The. Chicken.  

Edited by SailorGirl
wrong name
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
(edited)
38 minutes ago, Dianaofthehunt said:

Kuby? Where was Kuby in this episode?

He was one of the people waiting for Saul -- it was one of the names Saul read off his list. I pinged on it immediately -- I don't know if we actually saw him or not -- re-watching now b/c I was doing other stuff and didn't absorb it all visually. 

ETA: I just rewatched -- Saul said Rocco Kubler, not Kuby. But c'mon . . . no way that wasn't intentional!! Sorry for the mix-up! 

Edited by SailorGirl
wrong name
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I'm finding the Howard storyline a bit harder to get behind.  I know they're trying to discredit him without any direct consequences, but it still feels mean, as eye-jarring as Saul in the Howard getup was.  I did like the "wait, you're saying we're wicked" line from Kim.  It doesn't seem as if she's reflected too much on this.

• Love 24

I'm glad Mike mentioned they're running a little thin. Until then it seemed as if they had unlimited resources. As Gus walked through the tunnel into the other house it started to remind me less of Gus and more of a James Bond Super villain walking around his secret lair.

• LOL 5
  • Love 9

WOW I have no idea how they will end up where they will end up...but Kim is trying to resist the full pull to the dark side - and it looks like resistance is futile.

But Seehorn is SO good at showing Kim's Common Sense making a desperate plea but her actions are full Darth Kim.

Gus buying the house across the street and building the tunnel between them is the Gusiest Gus thing that ever Gussed, and it cracked my shit up how 'But of COURSE he would!!!' it was.  lol

• LOL 7
  • Love 6
(edited)

Mike is right about Kim.  She is made of stronger stuff then Jimmy.   I like that so far she hasn’t told him that Lalo might be alive. Also like the fact that being his lawyer transitioned him from. Bottom feeding lawyer into what Jesse on Breaking Bad would call a “Criminal” Lawyer or something to that nature.  I forget the exact words but this is the beginning of the making of it.    While Kim is taking the pro bono work we have Jimmy taking the actual criminals who can pay.   But they are both still doing shady stuff.

Starting  to think we might be wrong about Kim’s fate.     

I do like the discrediting of Howard is a slow boil storyline and not happening all at once. 

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 9

I didn't recognize Gus's house. Is that the same one as from BB?

It took me a couple of minutes to realize that Jimmy was made up as Howard. Duh. I have a feeling this setup of Howard is not going to work as planned. Oh, and did Howard mention a wife to his therapist?

It was cool seeing Wendy again. 

I swear, when Kim went to confront the guys in the car following her, I thought the passenger was NoHo Hank from Barry

The best scene was betw Kim and Mike. 

Loved seeing all the yellow shirts in Gus's closet. 

• Love 19
(edited)
5 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

It took me a couple of minutes to realize that Jimmy was made up as Howard.

At first I thought that was part of Howard's dream that he was describing to his therapist.

Edited by Constantinople
  • LOL 4
  • Love 12

Ok, it wasn't Squat Cobbler funny, but it was still a pretty damned funny episode. Loved our synchronized bicyclers, peddling/waltzing through the neighborhood in the cold open.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, BeatrixK said:

WOW I have no idea how they will end up where they will end up...but Kim is trying to resist the full pull to the dark side - and it looks like resistance is futile.

I don't think she's resisting.  I don't think she sees herself in the wrong regarding Howard which is pretty scary in itself. 

But she has been trying to find satisfaction in "doing it for the little people" for a while now and that has been futile.  She isn't finding it.  It, or the people, don't live up to her expectations. 

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't recognize Gus's house. Is that the same one as from BB?

Oh, and did Howard mention a wife to his therapist?\

I swear, when Kim went to confront the guys in the car following her, I thought the passenger was NoHo Hank from Barry.

I wanted to highlight these three things in your post.

I don't remember Gus's house but we didn't see much of it in BB, IIRC.  Plus, I think it was night.

Howard mentioned a "Cheryl" to his therapist.  It sounds like things aren't perfect for him.  They don't talk about real things.  I'm guessing he may have some real stuff to talk about after whatever happens here happens.

Yep. I also thought it was NoHo Hank.

38 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I figure Kim will try to dissappear in the end with Saul because of Lalo and he'll refuse to leave.

I don't see this Kim running.  And I don't see this Jimmy not following her if she were to leave.

• Love 10

Oh, one detail I found interesting that I forgot to mention was the fact that Cliff has a son with an addiction.  I'm certain that's going to play a part in this story even though I'm not sure how. 

I don't think we've ever been told of it.  And I don't think Kim knew of it either.  I wonder if this will make him more sympathetic to Howard's "plight" than Jimmy & Kim need him to be.

• Useful 4
  • Love 9

Rhea Seehorn getting in on the directing game!  Thought she did a pretty great job with it.  Definitely had some unique and fun shots and moments that have been tailor made for this show.

I continue to be amazed how the show makes me enjoy and laugh at how Kim and Jimmy are implementing their plan/con on Howard, but at the same time feeling bad for him.  He isn't a perfect guy, but he really doesn't deserve to have Kim and Jimmy gunning for them like they are.  And those moments with the therapist seem to be hinting that there is more going on with him mentally (I wonder if they'll revisit how he feels responsible for Chuck's death), and I can see that factoring in.  I know Kim says she wants to make sure he's "still standing" when this is all said and done, but this is either going to blow back on them or will end up harming Howard more than they expected.  I also suspect the bit about Clifford having a son who is an addict will also come into play.

Never really noticed that Kim and Mike rarely cross paths, so their big scene was a treat and well acted by Seehorn and Jonathan Banks.  Kim now knows that Lalo might not be dead after-all, but it looks like she's going to keep it from Jimmy for now.

Looks like Jimmy is getting some major backlash from his fellow attorneys for helping a known drug cartel heavy skate by.  But it's also gotten him more clients, so yay?  And we get a glimpse of the office for the first time!

Of course, Gus would not only have a secret tunnel that connects his house to another one close by, but he would be very particular about who is covering for him at Los Pos Hermanos, because dammit, being a possible target for a rival cartel guy who you tried to kill doesn't mean the quality of your product should take a hit!  All fast food managers should aspire to be like Gustavo Fring! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

Everyone knows it's Windy....

The bike riders who were then working on a puzzle, they live there while Gus' men are doing surveillance?

I took it they were part of the team Gus had doing surveillance.  They were the 'public face' of the house, so they ride bikes, gather intel on the neighbors in a 'we totally live here' kinda way.

All the people in that house were Gus's 'employees', basically.  Their office was his super secret second house.

• Useful 5
  • Love 13
(edited)

Mrs. Nguyen and her cucumber water!  Unlike her, I'll share what I can.

LOVED this ep.

I about screamed when I heard Mike's voice before Rhea panned over to reveal him at the El Camino.  I was giddy for the entire smart conversation.  Her calling him out as the parking attendant?  Chef's kiss.

I have a feeling that the unraveling of the Howard scam will involve the sex worker.  Aside - I actually liked the music in the Namaste-mobile.

I, too, channeled a SPECTRE HQ as Gus walked over to surveillance house.  No piranhas?  ;)  

The physical "comedy" of Saul moving the sign was too much, imo.  We just got a fantastic reminder of how any given scam could fall on the smallest detail - this one being the cone.  The drooping afterward was a payoff not worthy of the effort.

What was the object blowing on the street in the artsy shot that moved to feature in a lingering manner whatever it was, in the foreground, at ground level?

The indulgent portrayal of the meticulous treatment of ALL Gus owned was deeply satisfying.  Many expressed displeasure in earlier seasons when the pace of the show was seemingly glacial.  I cherished all the detail and meaning.  This choice reinforced just how careful he was, and needed to be.  I'm betting that the artists who designed and then executed that sequence were loving life as they did their magic.  Not many have that opportunity in TV-land.  The clear bins with the crisply-folded towels and such were a phenomenal touch.

I appreciated that we got to see the hardcore strategist Cliff in action with Kim.  Their banter as they met was perfect lawyer decorum and false friendship.  His response outlining some of the issues were totally evocative, to me, of Chuck.  Instantly super sharp and pointed self-interest.

The court clerk refusing the Beanie Baby?  Ruh roh.  What an unexpected and satisfying callback.  Wonderful way to show the sea change in Jimmy's status.  Anyone know if that was a particularly desired or scarce one?  I do wonder why his recent suspension was not invoked in any fashion by any of the folks at the courthouse.

It's all justified and quite necessary, imo, but all the violence depicted does wear on me.  An entire episode of civility, albeit in service to fraud on most accounts, was lovely and a lot of fun.

Ask McDonalds how important fries are to its bottom line.  :D

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Looks like Jimmy is getting some major backlash from his fellow attorneys for helping a known drug cartel heavy skate by.  But it's also gotten him more clients, so yay? 

I wonder how it will impact his ability to do his job. His main asset til now has been his ability to be affable and convince the people he works with to get him special treatment on a lot of procedural aspects of his cases.

Of course, Gus would not only have a secret tunnel that connects his house to another one close by, but he would be very particular about who is covering for him at Los Pos Hermanos, because dammit, being a possible target for a rival cartel guy who you tried to kill doesn't mean the quality of your product should take a hit! 

The whole BB - WW connection was based on his need to get the best quality product :)

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

What was the object blowing on the street in the artsy shot that moved to feature in a lingering manner whatever it was, in the foreground, at ground level?

I was wondering about it as well. This series never does that unless it means something.

• Useful 1

At first I thought the first few seconds of the opening scene were part of a pharmaceutical commercial or something similar.

Then I remembered the title of the episode was "Hit and Run" and was bracing myself for one or both of the bicyclists to get run over. Really run over, not fake run over like those guys in Season 1.

Wrong on both counts.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, meira.hand said:

I was wondering about it as well. This series never does that unless it means something.

Was that the shot of the quarter on the ground at the motel?

• Love 2

Looks like Jimmy is getting some major backlash from his fellow attorneys for helping a known drug cartel heavy skate by.  But it's also gotten him more clients, so yay? 

Apparently Ericsen made sure everyone knew about the fake Guzmans. Even Oakley could justify defending Lalo with zeal, but not conning the court in that manner.

5 hours ago, Dessert said:

It reminded me of the opening of the series Get Smart. (I’m very old!)

As ludicrous as I found that set-up, Get Smart was the first place my mind went to as well.

32 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Mrs. Nguyen and her cucumber water!  Unlike her, I'll share what I can.

""""

The court clerk refusing the Beanie Baby?  Ruh roh.  What an unexpected and satisfying callback.  Wonderful way to show the sea change in Jimmy's status.  Anyone know if that was a particularly desired or scarce one?  I do wonder why his recent suspension was not invoked in any fashion by any of the folks at the courthouse.

I'm waiting for the final act of Saul's relationship with Mrs. Nguyen, considering the former's advocacy of nail salon ownership.

Interwebs have current value of the white Wise the Owl circa 2004 ranging from $3.99 to $5.95 USD.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Gobi said:

I went back to it and yes, the lingering was probably centered on the quarter and not the two out of focus objects blowing in the wind to it's right. This makes a little more sense as if you look closely Wendy managed to put in just one quarter and the second fell on the ground. The shot centered on the fallen quarter. Still have no idea what that meant.

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, Gobi said:

Ah.  I'll tell my frugal husband.  He had expressed concern over Wendy putting her quarters in and not getting her rootbeer.  As soon as I saw her coming down the street I knew it was Wendy and I was so excited to see her, her musical montage was one of my favorite BB things.  I think she and Kim had a moment of connection, maybe a little bit of, "there but for fortune,"  on both sides.

Gus's house!  I don't know why he holds so much fascination for me, but I just watched all ten of his training videos, thanks @Scout Finch!

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

It never really occurred to me until this episode that Kim and Mike have never officially met. It was a good scene and he's right that she's made of sterner stuff than Jimmy. He's obviously noticed in watching them that they're up to some stuff that doesn't bear close scrutiny but it's not about why his guys are there, so hey, none of his business. It's interesting that Kim then chose not to tell Jimmy either about finally meeting his associate or the likelihoood that Lalo is still alive and out there somewhere. I'll wait and see where they go with that before hazarding a guess on the larger meaning of it, but she was clearly rattled in real time.

What really struck me, though, as much as Kim asking "you're saying we're wicked?" as if it was seriously the first time she'd really considered it in those terms, was the realization that for all their rationalizing that they're going through this elaborate Howard the end justifies the means setup to fund her pro bono dream, Cliff Main seemed all too ready to let her trade on her still legitimate connections to help her make that happen. It was just a flicker, but you could see that realization happening even if she hasn't fully processed it yet. As much as I try not get too far ahead of myself speculating, part of me wondered if that might not be the beginnings of her off ramp.  She hasn't seen the latest round of everyone treating Jimmy like the dog turd somebody's trying to get off their shoe just yet now that word is out about Saul Goodman, criminal lawyer, or the new clientele that justifies the terrible strip mall office. She's previously responded to a lot of this by doubling down where Jimmy's concerned and charging to his defense, but if she's afraid enough as she seemed in her meetup with Mike, maybe.

The busybody neighbors were a hoot. They can be outraged just outraged at someone's choice of paint or siding but very determinedly NOT notice the surveillance team using their house and probably paying them extremely well for it. It wasn't until the rewatch and I knew to look for it that all the weaponry on the kitchen table fully registered with me.

Gus wears a bulletproof vest all day working in fast food. I don't know why that surprised me or struck me as funny, but it did.

• Love 15
13 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

It never really occurred to me until this episode that Kim and Mike have never officially met. It was a good scene and he's right that she's made of sterner stuff than Jimmy. He's obviously noticed in watching them that they're up to some stuff that doesn't bear close scrutiny but it's not about why his guys are there, so hey, none of his business. It's interesting that Kim then chose not to tell Jimmy either about finally meeting his associate or the belief that Lalo is still alive and out there somewhere. I'll wait and see where they go with that before hazarding a guess on the larger meaning of it, but she was clearly rattled in real time.

What really struck me, though, as much as Kim asking "you're saying we're wicked?" as if it was seriously the first time she'd really considered it in those terms, was the realization that for all their rationalizing that they're going through this elaborate Howard the end justifies the means setup to fund her pro bono dream, Cliff Main seemed all too ready to let her trade on her still legitimate connections to help her make that happen. It was just a flicker, but you could see that realization happening even if she hasn't fully processed it yet. As much as I try not get too far ahead of myself speculating, part of me wondered if that might not be the beginnings of her off ramp.  She hasn't seen the latest round of everyone treating Jimmy like the dog turd somebody's trying to get off their shoe just yet now that word is out about Saul Goodman, criminal lawyer, or the new clientele that justifies the terrible strip mall office. She's previously responded to a lot of this by doubling down where Jimmy's concerned and charging to his defense, but if she's afraid enough as she seemed in her meetup with Mike, maybe.

The busybody neighbors were a hoot. They can be outraged just outraged at someone's choice of paint or siding but very determinedly NOT notice the surveillance team using their house and probably paying them extremely well for it. It wasn't until the rewatch and I knew to look for it that all the weaponry on the kitchen table fully registered with me.

Gus wears a bulletproof vest all day working in fast food. I don't know why that surprised me or struck me as funny, but it did.

Much as how the writers, in BB, went to meticulous lengths to establish that Walt was just lying to himself and others, when he claimed that he became a homicidal meth manufacturer/distributor to provide for his family, the writers in BCS seem to be well on their way to establishing that Kim is lying to herself and Saul, when she claims or implies, that she embarked on her  unethical/illegal path to serve the poor who desperately need competent legal aid.

• Love 17

The thing is that both Walt and Kim did start out exactly as they said. They were each trying to fix something that playing by all the usual societal rules wasn't going to fix anywhere close to the scale they needed. Walt did need to pay for his medical care and not leave his family destitute. Kim really does love her pro bono work. She said recently that a day doing just that was her best day ever and I believed her. But both did or have clung onto that original justification long after the small thing they were justifying morphed into something much much bigger and badder. They kept going because they liked it. Walt finally had to admit that. Kim was positively gleeful at Jimmy's latest Howard cosplay escapade until he recited the quote about the wicked and it stopped her in her tracks. She hadn't considered that. Combine that with the revelation that the Lalo problem is still probably very much around that rattled her and I'll be curious to see if it was just a flicker she brushes off or the start of a reconsidering where their current track is heading. Especially now that she knows that with the right framing, maybe she could guilt some of the big law players into kicking in to some kind of larger scale charitable legal project, if for no other reason than it would make them look and feel good.

• Like 1
  • Love 15

Apologies for missing this (the Roe news dropped just at the start of the airing), but isn't that couple on bikes at the beginning also part of Gus's secret surveillance and security team? Like, they're in on it, right?

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Penman61 said:

Apologies for missing this (the Roe news dropped just at the start of the airing), but isn't that couple on bikes at the beginning also part of Gus's secret surveillance and security team? Like, they're in on it, right?

I would think so. Either Gus bought both houses when he moved in and built the tunnel then hired the couple to live there as needed, or they were living there before Gus moved in, and he made them an offer. They seem perfectly content with their lives. Also, since they commented on the red house and HOA, it appears they've been living there a while.

• Love 8

The scene with Mike and Kim was the most interesting part of the episode.  Made me wonder if Kim is going to be in the background of BB. 

Then I found this review that made the same point.  

• Love 2
(edited)
3 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I would think so. Either Gus bought both houses when he moved in and built the tunnel then hired the couple to live there as needed, or they were living there before Gus moved in, and he made them an offer. They seem perfectly content with their lives. Also, since they commented on the red house and HOA, it appears they've been living there a while.

Thanks. Yes, the bolded part threw me a bit, made me think "They've really committed to their parts!" But it makes more sense that they do actually live there, and Gus bought them in some way.

Edited by Penman61
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, PeterPirate said:

The scene with Mike and Kim was the most interesting part of the episode.  Made me wonder if Kim is going to be in the background of BB. 

Then I found this review that made the same point.  

LOL I haven't watched the video but now I'm picturing Vince &  Co using CGI to insert Kim into iconic BB scenes, a la Lucas & Jabba:

Walter: *I* am the one who knocks!

CGI Kim at the front door: Knock, knock, anyone home? I knock, too! [Walks in with fresh cupcakes.]

Walter: I did it for *me.* I liked it. I was good at it. 

CGI Kim at the window: Oh, same. I see that now. I said it was for the downtrodden but it was really just for my ego. Yup.

• LOL 7
  • Love 4