Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: Hit and Run

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 5/4/2022 at 3:15 PM, pagooey said:

Spooge is...well, a guy who goes by the name "Spooge" and is in need of a criminal lawyer...but he's not the pustulent, filthy wreck of a human being Jesse encounters. Meth is creeping around the edges of Albuquerque's underworld, in the BCS timeline...but it's Walt's pure, perfect variant that lays waste to everyone and eventually himself. Such great, devastating storytelling, gaaaahhhh. 

I really like the bolded part.  Spooge was so well-dressed in this episode, and later on in BB he is so destroyed.  

Sidenote 1:  AMC+ has figured out a way to prevent screencaps of its player.  I wanted to post before-and-after photos, but I can't.  

Sidenote 2:  AMC+ automatically plays the next episode and there is no way to disable the autoplay.  Worse, the volume level automatically cranks up to full.     

1 hour ago, Scout Finch said:

Badger?

That's who I want it to be.  Badger's real name is Brandon Mayhew, but it is easy enough to come up with reasons why he took his mother's name.  

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, PeterPirate said:

That's who I want it to be.  Badger's real name is Brandon Mayhew, but it is easy enough to come up with reasons why he took his mother's name.  

That's right, I'd forgotten his real name. But your explanation sounds good to me! Love both him and Skinny Pete, and like to mimic the indignant yo "I'm Skinny Pete!" moment outside Tuco's office. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, PeterPirate said:

Sidenote 1:  AMC+ has figured out a way to prevent screencaps of its player.  I wanted to post before-and-after photos, but I can't.  

I hate that. Sometimes I want to pause to read a note a character is holding, but the screen darkens.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I hate that. Sometimes I want to pause to read a note a character is holding, but the screen darkens.

I have found that if I move the cursor away from the window after pausing, the screen will brighten again and I can look at things just fine.  But when I hit PrintScreen, all I get when I paste to Paint is black. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, PeterPirate said:

Isn't Badger too young to have that guy as a father? I know he could have him later in life, but it seems like a stretch for no reason that makes things seem fake. Lots of people are drug addicts, after all.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Isn't Badger too young to have that guy as a father? I know he could have him later in life, but it seems like a stretch for no reason that makes things seem fake. Lots of people are drug addicts, after all.

Yeah, Badger is way too young, lives in a different city, comes from a much more working-class background (his cousin Clovis runs an auto repair/towing company), and has a different first and last name. The writers would have to retcon basically everything we know about the character for the cheap shock of him being Cliff's son.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Ailianna said:

This is a younger Gus, though. Less experienced, less cool. I don't think he was born icy calm.

Good point. You're right, of course. I get thrown by the fact that younger Gus is played by older Giancarlo Esposito. (Just a fact of life with this show.)

• Love 3

LOL not everyone in the BB/BCS universe has to be related.

If we find out Kim and Jimmy are brother and sister, I'm outtahere.

(Though it could explain her absence in BB...)

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, PeterPirate said:

I have found that if I move the cursor away from the window after pausing, the screen will brighten again and I can look at things just fine.  

I just tried that again, and I don't see a difference. However, if it looks fine to you, can you just take a pic with your phone?

2 hours ago, Penman61 said:

LOL not everyone in the BB/BCS universe has to be related.

If we find out Kim and Jimmy are brother and sister, I'm outtahere.

(Though it could explain her absence in BB...)

"I found out my first wife was my sister" would have replaced "I caught my second wife screwing my stepdad. OK? It’s a cruel world, Walt. Grow up.”

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I just tried that again, and I don't see a difference. However, if it looks fine to you, can you just take a pic with your phone?

Here you go.  It takes about 3 seconds for the image to clear up.  

image.thumb.png.cddf3625ef5c01e0513f8cdcc65735a3.png

image.thumb.png.acebf275fb9a260454d98b32f0d80d1c.png

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Love 3

I love a show that makes me lol really hard, several times.  That’s difficult to do.  This one got me with Jimmy wrestling with that sign!  And, when he tells a client he’s letting a nail salon use his front room!  I’m going to watch and enjoy it again tomorrow.  Lol

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Here is a good review from a new channel.  Last season my favorite reviewer was Ological, because he discussed the audio and visual cues embedded in an episode, but so far this season he has not uploaded a review.  Courtney here does much of the same thing.  Plus, she's real purty.   

• Love 1

That was good. I like a lot of her insights. One criticism: I don't know much about video production, but the jerkiness of the video bugs me. Is that intentional? Is it my computer?

Kim seems in heavy denial regarding how much danger she and Jimmy are in, and thinks they can get away with anything. The meeting with Mike should be a huge wake up call, so too should Lalo's visit and what happened to Jimmy in the desert. How can be she believe that Jimmy "won't do it again" (be involved with the cartel) when she, and he, knows that he is entangled now. And he is totally unreliable. Telling that she doesn't think they are 'wicked' even though Jimmy now works for the cartel, and what they did to Chuck led to his suicide.

The thing about Jimmy/Saul's plan is that Howard has a history with prostitutes. The history was entirely invented by Jimmy but people know about it. That makes it more believable. Eye witness testimony is the least reliable testimony their is. Jimmy was driving Howard's car so that identification was accurate. And Jimmy looked enough like Howard that anyone who didn't know the two of them personally would think it was Howard if they only say him quickly or at a distance. Even people who knew him may be convinced because it was someone who looked a lot like Howard driving Howards car. 

They just want to create a reasonable doubt. And they did. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, peeayebee said:

That was good. I like a lot of her insights. One criticism: I don't know much about video production, but the jerkiness of the video bugs me. Is that intentional? Is it my computer?

She uses some sort of greenscreen program wherein she puts a background behind her image. Sometimes the effect isn't perfect, so her microphone will appear and disappear.  

16 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I was also interested when she said Gus passed his body double in the hallway. My screen was too dark to see the resemblance, but it certainly makes sense.

I also couldn't tell at first, but upon closer inspection I can see it is a Black man and he is wearing the same clothes as Gus.  So "body double" is the right explanation.  

Is this the first time we found out Howard is married? I'm assuming Cheryl is Howard's wife because I can't imagine Howard living with someone without getting married.

Anyway, Jimmy and Kim must know this, which makes them even bigger shitbirds for trying to tie Howard to prostitutes. That could blow up his marriage.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

Is this the first time we found out Howard is married?

He wears a wedding ring so I believe most of us assumed he was married.  This is the first time he mentioned a name who could be his wife.

• Love 3
On 5/4/2022 at 9:16 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Do people actually use hand signals when they're riding their bicycles on the street? Where I live most people on bikes don't even wear helmets, much less help cars avoid hitting them.

That model of Jaguar must have had swappable seat belts, lol. The color matched Howard's suit perfectly.

OMG, I busted out laughing when Jimmy pushed Wendy out of Howard's car. That was amazing. She's quite limber.

The US is a big, big country--here we use helmets, bike lanes and turn signals/hand signals. I don't cycle but my spouse does and with the traffic we have here, it scares the bejesus out of me. Given who's signing this couple's paychecks, wouldn't it make sense that they're doing everything by the book, down to gossiping about whether the HOA will approve their tomato-red house paint and whether that neighborhood is in this or that HOA? Just another tiny stroke of genius for these writers and directors. They leave no detail untouched.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, monagatuna said:

The US is a big, big country--here we use helmets, bike lanes and turn signals/hand signals. I don't cycle but my spouse does and with the traffic we have here, it scares the bejesus out of me. Given who's signing this couple's paychecks, wouldn't it make sense that they're doing everything by the book, down to gossiping about whether the HOA will approve their tomato-red house paint and whether that neighborhood is in this or that HOA? Just another tiny stroke of genius for these writers and directors. They leave no detail untouched.

Gosh, I had no idea this is a big country and that people in different parts of it have varying habits and practices. Seem like just yesterday I was born in the US.

Given who's signing this couple's paychecks, wouldn't it make sense that they're doing everything by the book, down to gossiping about whether the HOA will approve their tomato-red house paint and whether that neighborhood is in this or that HOA?

It would make sense to me they'd deliberately avoid drawing potential law enforcement attention to themselves, particularly on such a relatively minor manner. (E.g., plenty crooks have been caught due to driving with an expired license tag or a dead taillight.)

I'd be curious to know though whether Albuquerque has a strictly enforced helmet law and signaling rules. I live in one of the largest metro areas in the US and at least half the people I see on bicycles aren't being particularly cautious even if there are laws. (Similarly, the people in cars generally aren't driving at the posted speed limit or using turn signals. It's wild and crazy like that. 🥴)

Just another tiny stroke of genius for these writers and directors. They leave no detail untouched

I have had years of praise for the stellar dramatic entity Vince Gilligan and his associates have created in BCS and BB. However, the bicycling thing read more to me as a depiction of one of the couple's personality quirks than anything else.

On 5/10/2022 at 1:59 AM, monagatuna said:

They leave no detail untouched.

Right down to a detail like a nice German widow owning a Dachshund (small enough to lift, good watch dog).  Little Bear acted exactly like my Dachshund,  loud barking at the stranger, making friends but still cautious, then running from Mom to the stairs to tell her something was wrong up there.  Mine did exactly that when I got home one time, it wasn't Lalo upstairs, but the cat had done something on the bedroom carpet that was almost as evil. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 5/4/2022 at 11:07 AM, Bannon said:

I'd like to know how much detail the writers put into the scene originally, and how much was fleshed out by Rhea Seehorn as director. Kudos to both,

I would say very little, she's a bad director and a poor actor...

Edited by SimplexFish
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, SimplexFish said:

I would say very little, she's a bad director and a poor actor...

Why would you regularly watch a show that had a central character played by someone who you think is a poor actor?

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I think Rhea is pitch-perfect even during what I think are very difficult sequences this year.  There's a real subtle darkness to her that is different from how she was in the early years but consistent with how she was in, for example, 408 and 409.  It's incredibly precise.  Although Odenkirk, Esposito and Banks have new roles lined up, I'm a little scandalised she and Michael Mando don't seem to.  Hope it's just because they're being choosy.

As a director, I also think she did well although it seems like she has a real interest in playing with depth of field but this involved a lot of trickery with focus that the show doesn't often play with.  There was a little of this in Melissa Bernstein's episode and I wouldn't rule out some of this being enforced by Covid and having to make sure crews are distant from actors.  But then other places like that long pull back to Mike's crew were clearly intentional from the start and incredibly effective. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, gallimaufry said:

I think Rhea is pitch-perfect even during what I think are very difficult sequences this year.  There's a real subtle darkness to her that is different from how she was in the early years but consistent with how she was in, for example, 408 and 409.  It's incredibly precise.  Although Odenkirk, Esposito and Banks have new roles lined up, I'm a little scandalised she and Michael Mando don't seem to.  Hope it's just because they're being choosy.  

Michael Mando said in his podcast for his last episode that his background is in theatre, so I am going to assume he is keeping busy doing that.  

Rhea Seehorn, of course, is in pre-production for Wexler and Associates.     

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
48 minutes ago, PeterPirate said:

Rhea Seehorn, of course, is in pre-production for Wexler and Associates.     

I believe that the name has been changed to Better Kall Kim!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Various sources list the names of the Gus' neighbors as Mr. and Mrs. Ryman.  Can anyone shed light on how they got this information?  

Also, I noticed the first two numbers of their address can be seen as they walk into their garage in the opener, but a post blocks the last two numbers.  So there is no way to tell if they live on the same side of the street as Gus.  The tunnel between the houses is pretty short so I presume they are next door.  

3 hours ago, PeterPirate said:

Various sources list the names of the Gus' neighbors as Mr. and Mrs. Ryman.  Can anyone shed light on how they got this information?  

I think that's just the name the writers gave them, not that we've ever heard them on the show. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, PeterPirate said:

Also, I noticed the first two numbers of their address can be seen as they walk into their garage in the opener, but a post blocks the last two numbers.  So there is no way to tell if they live on the same side of the street as Gus.  The tunnel between the houses is pretty short so I presume they are next door.  

The address is 1209...they live nextdoor to Gus

I liked the scene between Kim and Mike but I didn't get why she didn't tell Jimmy. Shouldn't he be aware that the murderer who blames them for an attempt on his life, might be coming their way? Seems cruel not to warn him. I guess Kim doesn't sweat the details.

I like that Howard is in therapy. At least he has a support network to help him deal with his ruined reputation.

Gus saying that Mike's guy wasn't keeping pace at the restaurant was funny. That set up would make a great show. He's a cold blooded killer but he burns the fries and his milkshakes are runny.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Soobs said:

I liked the scene between Kim and Mike but I didn't get why she didn't tell Jimmy.

I think she sees herself as stronger than Jimmy. Like Mike said, she's made of sterner stuff. She doesn't want Jimmy to freak out, so really she's trying to protect him.

• Useful 1
48 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I think she sees herself as stronger than Jimmy. Like Mike said, she's made of sterner stuff. She doesn't want Jimmy to freak out, so really she's trying to protect him.

I think that she selfishly just doesn't want Saul to become distracted from the D Day mission...

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

On Talking Saul last week, Rhea Seehorn said that in episode 6x04, when Jimmy is describing him moving the sign around the cones, she is laying in a pose on the bed, in the same position as one of Seehorn's own paintings, in that condo.

Where can I see this painting? 

Or, what's a good episode that has a lot of living room scenes, in good lighting?

I don't think the painting of the woman is necessarily from 6x04. It might be in other episodes. It's just in 6x04, Kim is lying in bed, doing the same pose.

Here's what she says about it on the Insiders Podcast for 6x04, transcribed from YouTube:

youtu.be/iEiCQbtBFEU

41:29

right but i did the um no one will ever see this but if

41:36

the there is a drawing that kim has of a woman laying on a bed in her living room that's on the bookshelf you pass as you

41:42

go through the hallway to the bedroom and that is exactly how kim is laying on the bed i did set that up

Is this the drawing that Kim is talking about?

I can't even make out what that is. It just looks like a bunch of lines to me on a white background.

If that's the best shot we have, then this might be a waste of time. That doesn't look like a woman to me.

agentdanascully.tumblr.com/post/683631789449871360/rhea-seehorn-no-one-will-ever-see-this-but-there

64.media.tumblr.com/ebc7afbcef2bac509222dd271aa92a3c/b16f28993ce08ab4-76/s1280x1920/a41173421fb9a9c86bad19c3470799c0efb88dd3.png

I found a close up of the bookshelf in "Bad Choice Road".  Unfortunately, there's books in front of the alleged drawing.  So I can't really see what the drawing looks like.  I'll have to keep digging backwards, going to season 4 now, to find more condo scenes.

When I heard her talk about the pictures on Talking Saul, I was going to go back and check, but I gave up. So thank you for doing this.

ETA: I was just browsing images online of their condo. I think in Talking Saul, she said the picture was to the left of the couch. I think she's misremembering because I saw images of the wall to the left and to the right of the couch, and the reclining woman picture is not there.

I don't blame her for not remembering right. I think I did see it on a wall somewhere. Their bedroom? Someone else's house?

Edited by peeayebee
On 8/20/2022 at 10:59 AM, peeayebee said:

When I heard her talk about the pictures on Talking Saul, I was going to go back and check, but I gave up. So thank you for doing this.

ETA: I was just browsing images online of their condo. I think in Talking Saul, she said the picture was to the left of the couch. I think she's misremembering because I saw images of the wall to the left and to the right of the couch, and the reclining woman picture is not there.

I don't blame her for not remembering right. I think I did see it on a wall somewhere. Their bedroom? Someone else's house?

I have gone through every condo scene in season 6, and 5. 

Most of the scenes are dark except for 6x03, "Rock and a hard place".

In season 5, the lighting is also decent in "Bad Choice Road".  Unfortunately, there's books in front of the drawing.

I'm now working my way through season 4.

See this white framed drawing, in the middle of the shelf?  I think this is what she's talking about.

a41173421fb9a9c86bad19c3470799c0efb88dd3

I'm tried to find a better image than that though, that's why I'm going through every season.  I can't make out what's happening in that drawing.

Here are her words from Talking Saul:

"

The living room has two [drawings by Seehorn].  An owl, and a woman laying on her back with her legs crossed.  If you're looking at the condo, at the couch, the left wall, a bookcase, that painting, how she's laying, I duplicated . . . no one will know this, now you will . . . the episode I was allowed to direct and had a glorious time doing it . . . 6x04, when Jimmy is describing pulling the sign, I duplicated the posture.  It's Kim laying in the same position as the drawing that I did on the other side of the wall.

"

Here are her words from the insiders podcast:

"

But I did the . . . no one will ever see this but . . .there is a drawing that Kim has of a woman lying on a bed in her living room that's on the bookshelf that you pass as you go through the hallway to the bedroom and that is exactly how Kim is laying on the bed.  I did set that up.

"

So I think key words are that it's on a book case.

And it's a drawing, not a painting.  Even though she used the word painting once.

If the drawing is somewhere else, because I'm watching every single condo scene, hopefully I catch it. 

7 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Thanks for finding that. How about looking for the scene where she duplicates it in her posture?

A screen shot of that was posted somewhere recently within one of the forum topics, Ill look for it, maybe someone here knows exactly where it is.

18 hours ago, nuraman00 said:

a41173421fb9a9c86bad19c3470799c0efb88dd3

That there is the artwork that Rhea is talking about. If you zoom in on it, that is a pic of someone laying on their back with their legs crossed like Kim is posed on the bed when Jimmy talks about moving the post. 

1 hour ago, ripple596 said:

That there is the artwork that Rhea is talking about. If you zoom in on it, that is a pic of someone laying on their back with their legs crossed like Kim is posed on the bed when Jimmy talks about moving the post. 

I've tried zooming in, but I really can't make much out of the drawing.

This is what it looks like zoomed in, and it doesn't look like much to me:

V922RxO.png

Also, as I'm going through the various scenes, looking for condo scenes, I haven't come across an episode where I think that tumblr image is from.

Nothing in seasons 6 or 5 look like it.

Early in season 4, there's still moving boxes everywhere.