Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: End of an Era

• Start Topic

Amy and Michael finally move out of the duplex, while Tammy's partying phase takes a turn for the worse. Amanda tries to get through to her sister before it's too late, and Amy's in for a rude awakening at her annual check up with Dr. Procter.

Original air date 2022.01.24

Season finale. 

• Love 1

Well, Amy is quite the disappointment. That she has paid zero attention to her health or her weight loss speaks volumes. She always has an excuse for her poor eating, “we were remodeling so I couldn’t cook because we didn’t have a kitchen ”, ummmm they were still in the duplex while remodeling so that bullshit lie alone tells me who she is. My guess is within a year she will be over 300 pounds again. I get she wants to be a mom but how about being healthy to actually take care of Gage. 

Tammy is just a depressed, mentally challenge, mentally delayed person, I don’t think she has any chance of changing her situation. The quilt was such a beautiful gesture and I think it did get thru to Tammy and we saw how hopeless she knows she is, that really resonated. 

• Love 17
2 hours ago, sadie said:

Well, Amy is quite the disappointment.

Did you notice how filthy that mattress cover was - and I do not mean the part that was dragged through the mud.  And they just put it on the bed frame.

After they moved in, the new house looked as bad as the old house.  Amy looked like she was on something in the early talking heads.

Her excuses about where she is at with her weight at the weigh in sounds like what you hear on My 600 Pound Life.  And Dr. Proctor is not buying it. @sadie is right on target with her comments with regard to Amy.

I partially disagree with regard to Tammy.  I continue to be convinced that Tammy is intelligent and creative.  And extremely damaged.  If she was willing to take the psychiatric help being offered, she could turn her life around.  The scene with her sister was touching.  Under all of that Tammy anger is excruciating hurt.  I was raised by someone like her.  And I speak from experience when I say that understanding that does not make it any easier to be her family and live with her.

• Love 20

OMG - the ignorance that is Mama...

"This ovulating stuff...that don't mean nothin'.  When the good Lord's ready for you to have it, he'll give it to you."

And we wonder where misinformation comes from.  :-(

• LOL 3
  • Love 13
7 hours ago, Kid said:

Did you notice how filthy that mattress cover was - and I do not mean the part that was dragged through the mud.  And they just put it on the bed frame.

I noticed and pointed it out to my daughter. The bed looked like someone had peed on it. Hoping it is just a dirty sheet, cause gross!

• Love 5

I think Tammy’s desire to be “happy for once” is just the act of self medicating so she doesn’t feel pain, both physical and emotional. She’s not living her best life doing what she wants or making the most of a bad situation. At this point she’s very slowly dying, or is at least a little closer to it each day. Which is really sad because she has people in her life who genuinely care about her. 

She seemed so high and consumed with bitterness at Amy’s house I was surprised she didn’t have a full blown tantrum. I guess the influence prevented her from doing that. And Amy knew it, which was really sad in and of itself.

With her weight and history of illness I am flat out shocked that she vapes. I wonder if she smokes traditional cigarettes as well because that giant full ashtray has been a fixture in her living room the entire season. 

Amanda seems like a very genuine person. I like her.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11

Tammy's eyes are barely open in most of her scenes - they’re just slits except when she’s angry. How does she see?

It was nice to see Amanda greet Tammy with “Hey, girl.” I’m so tired of hearing “bitch” all the time - it’s not funny or cute, it’s just crude.

• Love 24
12 hours ago, sadie said:

She always has an excuse for her poor eating, “we were remodeling so I couldn’t cook because we didn’t have a kitchen ”

She's used the "one cheat meal" or "one cheat day" excuse so many times I've lost count, and when she gets pregnant again, she'll be back to the "I just want to enjoy my pregnancy" excuse. And did she say she was eating grape salad? WTH is grape salad?

9 hours ago, Kid said:

That was so gross, how did they not notice how bad it was when they took it off the bed at the duplex?

3 hours ago, Tunia said:

"This ovulating stuff...that don't mean nothin'.  When the good Lord's ready for you to have it, he'll give it to you."

Her mother did say she used to be a nurse, right? I did hear that, didn't I? How can she think ovulating has nothing to do with pregnancy?

28 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I noticed one of the TLC people told her to push back her bra strap.

I noticed that too, & Amy didn't care. It's like they're actually trying to help her seem not so crude & she just can't see it.

Amanda shouldn't have said anything about the ovulation test in the bathroom, it wasn't her business to talk about.

Of course Tammy suddenly had pain at Amy's house as soon as they started talking about her not going in the house. Her pain & feeling bad always seem to happen just as someone is trying to get her to do something she doesn't want to do.

I was looking for current photos of Chris online, has anyone seen any? I'm interested in seeing if he lost more weight.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

Are they all smokers except maybe Amanda? Chris and Amy have terrible coughs that cannot just be them.

I just don't know why they keep bowing to Tammy. Let her be for a week or two and maybe she'd have an attitude shift. She has a phone and if they are that worried, get a medical alert alarm. I do wonder if they are just caving for the cameras - if she was in some kind of rehab before the show that suggests they all refused to be her babysitter for once.

And seriously, Tammy has been partying since just after the vacation so what two months? It cannot just be booze and pot.

The doctors are ridiculous and doing a house call is so transparently paid for and maybe fractionally to stop this family filing a claim when she dies.

Giving Amy free weight loss surgery was such a slap in the face to people who try hard without the money to pay for it. And she was investigating skin removal not a few episodes ago JFC

• Love 13
18 hours ago, sadie said:

Well, Amy is quite the disappointment. That she has paid zero attention to her health or her weight loss speaks volumes. She always has an excuse for her poor eating, “we were remodeling so I couldn’t cook because we didn’t have a kitchen ”, ummmm they were still in the duplex while remodeling so that bullshit lie alone tells me who she is. My guess is within a year she will be over 300 pounds again. I get she wants to be a mom but how about being healthy to actually take care of Gage. 

The “we didn’t have a kitchen” is one of the common excuses on my 600 lb life.   How does that make you overeat?   She talks a good game about wanting to give Gage everything.  As long as that doesn’t involve giving up the overeating of junk food which will guarantee a life time of obesity for that poor kid.  

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Bluesky said:

She talks a good game about wanting to give Gage everything.

When she was pregnant, Amy used pregnancy cravings to justify eating whatever and how much she wanted. She was “eating for the baby,” not for herself. She even made a video of her eating weird combinations supposedly dictated by the baby. Now she continues to use Gage as an excuse to “share a meal” of junk like animal crackers. When she gets pregnant again, Baby #2 will be her excuse, both before and after his or her birth, and so on.

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 15

20 hours ago, sadie said:

Tammy is just a depressed, mentally challenge, mentally delayed person, I don’t think she has any chance of changing her situation. The quilt was such a beautiful gesture and I think it did get thru to Tammy and we saw how hopeless she knows she is, that really resonated. 

I agree that Tammy is certainly depressed, but I don't think she is mentally challenged or delayed.  If anyone is, it's Amy.  Granted, maybe she's not qualified for MENSA, but there have been several times I laughed at some of Tammy's funny little quips.  Never got the impression that she was dumb.  

I agree the scene with Tammy and Amanda was touching and made me sad.  Tammy has been unhappy her entire life, and it seems like the only person she thought ever truly loved her was her grandmother.  I find it kind of heartwarming that these siblings do really seem to care about each other.   

As a genealogy nut, I was not surprised at all with Amy's DNA ethnicity estimates.  Most Southerners are overwhelmingly English/Scottish.  It really would not be all that surprising if they were related very distantly to the Queen.  Many English men of the upper class (usually one of the younger sons) emigrated during Colonial times to America as the oldest son usually inherited the entire estate in those days.

Edited by Joan van Snark
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Tunia said:

As someone who struggled with infertility and a miscarriage, I hate it when people say things like that.  It is basically saying to someone who is struggling to get pregnant, “The good Lord doesn’t think you need a baby.” It’s almost as bad as, “Just relax and it will happen.” People who say those type of things have never experienced infertility. 

• Love 18
10 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

And Amy knew it, which was really sad in and of itself.

When others were talking about Tammy and making "final arrangements" etc Amy looked visibly upset and absolutely heartbroken. I really felt for her because she knows it's true and she's done everything she could.  

During the flashbacks of Amy in her wedding dress it was really clear she's lost a good amount of weight and conversely Tammy's weight gain over the same period really showed.  

I started watching this show because it was something new and rather entertaining.  Now I feel like I'm just witnessing Tammy's descent into the grave and it makes me feel awful. 

• Love 17
7 hours ago, SparedTurkey said:

The doctors are ridiculous and doing a house call is so transparently paid for and maybe fractionally to stop this family filing a claim when she dies.

I have to say I'm okay with it though because Dr. Smith looks mighty fine in regular clothes getting out of the car at Tammy's 😍

• LOL 4
  • Love 6

The flashback pictures of Amy in her wedding dress, and the early episodes are the only way I can see her weight loss.    

I agree, that the 'intervention' with the doctor is only trying to make people think that they did everything to help Tammy.   

• Love 5
6 hours ago, DanaMB said:

I love grape salad.

Those of us who post on the 600PL forum know eating grapes can sabotage weight loss.

Once Amy has both an infant and a toddler she may start losing without changing her eating habit.  chasing a toddler was the best weight loss program I ever did.

their new house is depressing.  I realize Amy is legally blind and may not see stains and dirt, but the others aren't.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Joan van Snark said:

I agree that Tammy is certainly depressed, but I don't think she is mentally challenged or delayed.  If anyone is, it's Amy.  Granted, maybe she's not qualified for MENSA, but there have been several times I laughed at some of Tammy's funny little quips.  Never got the impression that she was dumb.  

Yes, Tammy is clearly smarter than Amy, and the older sisters are normal people.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, GaT said:

Amanda shouldn't have said anything about the ovulation test in the bathroom, it wasn't her business to talk about.

To me, it sounded like a producer-driven thing.  Like, "Hey, Amy--start talking about being unsure of wanting a baby right now, and then you, Amanda, say you saw the ovulation test in the bathroom, and then you, Amy, have to fess up.  It'll be a great gotcha moment."

• Love 10

There was a local kid, years ago, whose parents decided to make up a story about his being a little chef. Even though the kid was not at all smart, they managed to get him some pretty big gigs and one of them was a segment on a late night show. The host of the show asked him a question, and the kid just giggled. The host thought this was hysterical and made a big deal out of the giggle, even giggling right back at him.. From that point on, whenever he appeared anywhere, the giggle became his response to almost all questions. His chef gig didn't last for very long.

My point being, Amy has come out with some pretty funny malapropisms over the years. Now I think the producers have decided to have her do them on a very frequent basis. The producers have decided to have her say things like, does it take longer to drive somewhere in a car or fly there, simple things that any fourth grader would know.  The constant references to and the actual act of farting all the time would be another example. Another would be ending each sentence with "bitch". I think they need to be careful, because, just like the giggle, this gets old, fast and the gig could soon be over. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

@magemaud I just realized what your avatar is and I'm dying 😆

Ha ha, that came about one night when I claimed to be late to the Live Chat of 90 Day Fiancé because my daughters had made me Princess Toast. Hilarity ensued! I should have changed my screen name at that time instead of just my avatar. 

We still reminiscence about that commercial, along with Sergeant Baker with his exploding hot water heater. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, DanaMB said:

Thanks, I guess it must taste like a yogurt parfait?

3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The flashback pictures of Amy in her wedding dress, and the early episodes are the only way I can see her weight loss.

I really must have missed some of season 1 because I have never seen that scene. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, lilysmom said:

My point being, Amy has The producers have decided to have her say things like, does it take longer to drive somewhere in a car or fly there, simple things that any fourth grader would know.  

I missed this conversation because I was taking cookies out of the oven.  I can drive from my house near Birmingham to my cousin’s house in Norcross in less time than it takes me to drive to the Birmingham airport, park, go thru TSA, fly to Atlanta, get luggage and get a rental or Uber and drive across Atlanta to Norcross. In their case Dixon is 41 minutes from 2 regional airports, the flight is 51 minutes so they probably spent 4-5 hours from their front door to Dr Proctor’s office. Dixon to Atlanta is 6 hours driving time plus with Gage they would probably take 7-8 hours especially with a few drive-thrus for fast food because everyone knows there is no healthy low calorie food available for the traveling public.The things I  learn from My600PL…🤣

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Twopper said:

I missed this conversation because I was taking cookies out of the oven.  I can drive from my house near Birmingham to my cousin’s house in Norcross in less time than it takes me to drive to the Birmingham airport, park, go thru TSA, fly to Atlanta, get luggage and get a rental or Uber and drive across Atlanta to Norcross. In their case Dixon is 41 minutes from 2 regional airports, the flight is 51 minutes so they probably spent 4-5 hours from their front door to Dr Proctor’s office.

Yes, but Amy has never flown before so she's probably not aware of the logistics of flying and I think she asked Michael "do planes go faster than cars?" Remember, she also claimed to not know what an "inch" was. But I believe that she just says things like that to get attention and as part of her "schtick" 

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, Twopper said:

I missed this conversation because I was taking cookies out of the oven.  I can drive from my house near Birmingham to my cousin’s house in Norcross in less time than it takes me to drive to the Birmingham airport, park, go thru TSA, fly to Atlanta, get luggage and get a rental or Uber and drive across Atlanta to Norcross. In their case Dixon is 41 minutes from 2 regional airports, the flight is 51 minutes so they probably spent 4-5 hours from their front door to Dr Proctor’s office. Dixon to Atlanta is 6 hours driving time plus with Gage they would probably take 7-8 hours especially with a few drive-thrus for fast food because everyone knows there is no healthy low calorie food available for the traveling public.The things I  learn from My600PL…🤣

I'm not sure if I quoted it exactly.  It was more like, which goes faster, a plane or a car? Sorry for the confusion!! Maybe not the best example of the kinds of things she has asked. How about an inch and a foot? Just the kinds of things you learn very early in life!

ETA: Sorry Magemaud, you beat me to it!!

Edited by lilysmom
  • Love 1

I was shocked to read recently Darlene is only 61. She looks like she’s well into her 70s. I think it goes to show how much poor diet, poor nutrition and overall poor lifestyle choices wreck havoc on one’s body as the years go on. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Ria said:

I was shocked to read recently Darlene is only 61. She looks like she’s well into her 70s. I think it goes to show how much poor diet, poor nutrition and overall poor lifestyle choices wreck havoc on one’s body as the years go on. 

Add a hard life and poverty.   I think Amy said at one time their mother worked three jobs which is why their grandma mostly raised them.  Yes, 61 with money (think the Real Housewives - some are in their 60s) looks a lot different than 61 without money. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 17
19 hours ago, magemaud said:

Amy’s flight to Atlanta was probably about an hour, so how many snacks could the airline have served? 

And while I’m talking about food, what the heck is “grape salad”? 

I fly from Lexington, KY to Atlanta, GA on a regular basis for my job.  Flight is about an hour. Based on her comments about seatbelt being tight, I'm guessing they weren't seated in First Class.  I think the Slatons would have been lucky to get a bag of pretzels between them. Amy's affinity for junk food explains her comment (and for her lack of progress with Dr. Proctor!)

Speaking of Dr. Proctor, IDK why Amy still goes all the way to Atlanta to see him when Dr. Smith is much closer?  Guess another one of Sharp's production twists.....

I think Grape Salad is more a Southern thing. My in-laws live in South Carolina, I'd never had/heard of it growing up in Michigan/Wisconsin.  To me it seems more dessert like than a true salad.   SIL makes it with red & white grapes covered in some type of sweetened cream cheese mixture, topped with brown sugar & crushed pecans.   I don't particularly care for it (not a cream cheese fan).  It definitely would be a diet "no no" for the Slatons.  Dr. Now would go ballistic if one of his patients ate it!

• Love 3

Seeing the early picture of Amy you could see really has lost a lot of weight from where she started.  But now she's stopped at 275.  I like how Dr. Procter spoke to Amy.  Neither egg salad nor grape salad are foods she should be eating.  

Chris' weight loss is showing. I hope he keeps going.  Again seeing the earlier photos you can see how much worse Tammy looks. When she slid back into the van, I thought of:

https://giphy.com/clips/hamlet-the-simpsons-homer-bushes-O4B7pH57BbdVZVcNgS

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Amy:  Does an airplane go faster than a car?

Michael:  I don't know.

Was this supposed to be cute? It wasn't.

11 hours ago, Juniperjen said:

Are there people in the world that really say stuff like this? I can't imagine trying to have a conversation with someone like this. She's an embarrassment. Someone upthread mentioned her age being 61 - I just looked it up and she was born in 1960. OMG. I look like a child next to her.

• Love 11

Was Amy planning to spend some time in Atlanta besides seeing my heartthrob, Dr. Procter? She was dragging her two pink suitcases out to the car like she was going for a few days. 

1 hour ago, String Theory said:

Speaking of Dr. Proctor, IDK why Amy still goes all the way to Atlanta to see him when Dr. Smith is much closer?  Guess another one of Sharp's production twists.....

Dr. Proctor performed her surgery so it would make sense for her to continue with him for her yearly follow up. Chris and Tammy never got to the surgery stage with him, so it was the ideal time to switch to another doctor who was more accessible. Maybe they thought it would be easier for Tammy to get to her appointments with Dr. Smith. 

• Love 6
59 minutes ago, magemaud said:

Was Amy planning to spend some time in Atlanta besides seeing my heartthrob, Dr. Procter? She was dragging her two pink suitcases out to the car like she was going for a few days. 

A baby requires a LOT of stuff; I'm guessing that was why the two suitcases. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

This show-- sometimes I wonder how dumb is Amy? Do planes go faster than cars? Really? She obviously has never moved before, either-she could have packed up some boxes of stuff they don't use every day to be ready for the move. And that mattress OMFG it was nasty already then they are dragging it through the dirt and putting it on the frame yuck! We know Amy doesn't keep a clean house anyway-I'm sure the roaches went with them to the new place. Big T was pretty subdued at the family gathering-either she was hung over or was afraid to say anything because the mom was there. Also, I think Amy is too attached to Tammy-saying stuff like "I wish Tammy could have come over to help us" Tammy wouldn't be helping, she would just be in the way. Dr. Proctor didn't seem to pleased about the new baby, Amy uses that as an excuse to gain weight. Amy was looking pretty sad when the family was talking about final arrangements for Big T-I have a feeling she will take it very bad when the inevitable does happen.

• Love 9