Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: End of an Era

• Start Topic

On 1/26/2022 at 9:09 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

My guess is that Amy's eating for two already started, and will continue. 

Absolutely! She was already giving in to her "cravings" which she took as a sign/excuse that she was pregnant. 

Edited to add: I hope I posted this in the correct forum. I'm getting confused between "The End of an Era" here and "The Beginning of the End" on Sister Wives. Too many endings, too many sisters to keep straight  

Edited by magemaud
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5

It's so frustrating that Amy doesn't seem to listen to the doctor at all. Wasn't she supposed to wait longer after the surgery before getting pregnant with Gage and now she is pregnant again when the doctor is saying she should wait longer before getting pregnant again.

Didn't Misty say something also about how it's going to be hard on her if she has two close together. And she says that her and Tammy were 15 months apart so that's what she wants. sigh.

BTW, I haven't watched the show for long. Do either Amy or Michael work? What do they do?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, applewood said:

BTW, I haven't watched the show for long. Do either Amy or Michael work? What do they do?

Michael is a "mill operator" (whatever that is.) Amy's income derives from the show, her You Tube channel, and Cameos on social media. Thank goodness she's not on Only Fans, right? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Amy has reached her real goal - having children - and she'll use pregnancy and motherhood as reasons she can't change her eating habits.  I don't see her ever getting below 250, never mind reaching 150.  Tammy is a lost cause so there's no point even commenting on her.  Chris is the only one of the three who has a chance.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, magemaud said:

Michael is a "mill operator" (whatever that is.) Amy's income derives from the show, her You Tube channel, and Cameos on social media. Thank goodness she's not on Only Fans, right? 

Finally one I’d be curious enough to pay for lol.

• LOL 3
4 hours ago, Caoimhe said:

Amy has reached her real goal - having children - and she'll use pregnancy and motherhood as reasons she can't change her eating habits.  I don't see her ever getting below 250, never mind reaching 150.  Tammy is a lost cause so there's no point even commenting on her.  Chris is the only one of the three who has a chance.

I think Amy looks much bigger than 250 pounds. Maybe it's my flat screen. 😂

I think these 2 are going to be  "yesterdays news" real soon. TLC already has a new series about 4 obese bff's. Is there any room left for more obesity shows on TLC. It's become the cable station of carnival acts. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12

I find it interesting that both Dr. Smith & Tammy's siblings chalk Tammy's binge drinking/vaping/possible drug use to her 'hitting bottom' or just giving up.

I'm no psychologist but I see Tammy as a manipulative rebellious teenager acting out to get attention.

Tammy's drinking & partying didn't start until Chris, Amanda, Misty & Amy all washed their hands of Tammy & told her she's on her own. The siblings are moving on with their lives, esp. with Amy moving away & Chris getting bariatric surgery/losing a significant amt. of weight. Queen Tammy no longer has everyone to wait on her & be at her beck and call. She's no longer the center of attention & she knows it.

By being a 'problem' child Tammy has once again forced herself to the front & center of her familys' lives. They sit around talking about her, calling her, visiting her, catering to her, etc. etc. Maybe Tammy even thought that now her siblings have no choice but to take care of her.

Anyway, that's my armchair diagnosis.

Edited by lulu69
  • Useful 3
  • Love 19
1 hour ago, lulu69 said:

I find it interesting that both Dr. Smith & Tammy's siblings chalk Tammy's binge drinking/vaping/possible drug use to her 'hitting bottom' or just giving up.

I'm no psychologist but I see Tammy as a manipulative rebellious teenager acting out to get attention.

Tammy's drinking & partying didn't start until Chris, Amanda, Misty & Amy all washed their hands of Tammy & told her she's on her own. The siblings are moving on with their lives, esp. with Amy moving away & Chris getting bariatric surgery/losing a significant amt. of weight. Queen Tammy no longer has everyone to wait on her & be at her beck and call. She's no longer the center of attention & she knows it.

By being a 'problem' child Tammy has once again forced herself to the front & center of her familys' lives. They sit around talking about her, calling her, visiting her, catering to her, etc. etc. Maybe Tammy even thought that now her siblings have no choice but to take care of her.

I agree with this completely. This whole "partying" thing just screams attention to me. She is constantly trying to be the center of attention, no matter what it takes.

In regards to whether or not she knows she's near the end and has given up on life, I think she's in extreme denial. Whenever the family talks about how they might have to bury her soon, she usually replies with "that's NOT going to happen!", and when confronted with health issues she acts how a teenager would act after an adult catches them drinking and explains the consequences to them. Just brushes it off and thinks she's invincible, and just "so cool" all while knowing this will get attention from her family. It's like she's mentally stuck at the age of 13.

Edited by sara1025
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, lulu69 said:

And a good one.  She is reacting because she sees it as abandonment.  Especially, Amy’s moving.  I still think BPD.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Check & make sure you didn't accidentally buy a "fat" screen instead.

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, applewood said:

Didn't Misty say something also about how it's going to be hard on her if she has two close together. And she says that her and Tammy were 15 months apart so that's what she wants. sigh.

Being 15 months apart worked so well for Tammy and Amy.  They have such a healthy relationship.  🙄

• LOL 14
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

She is.  I just chose it as a number she could easily get to if she tried (and it’s exactly 100 more than her actual “goal weight” (😂🤣) which she will never see.  After all she doesn’t want to be anorexic!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

And every time a sibling, whether it’s Amy, Misty or Amanda, tries to have an honest conversation with Tammy about her habits and her health, she immediately interrupts with “I don’t need a lecture”. Yes “bitch”, you do!

When Chris tries to talk to her she seems to cry and get emotional to make it stop.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
22 hours ago, Caoimhe said:

There was a woman on My 600# Life that lost a bunch of weight. Went on to be a mentor and speak to others about weight loss. Then had her miracle babies and started gaining it all back. She said it was due to the stress of her husband leaving and being a single parent, having to prepare snacks for her children, and being around them all day. Fair enough. It is very tempting to grab a cookie when we are giving the kiddos a cookie. It doesn't ever occur to these morbidly obese people that they can give their children healthy snacks too. Amy will use her children as a reason to eat junk food. 

Saw the recipe for grape salad. No, thanks. For me, the texture would be too weird and the salad too sweet. 

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, Showthyme said:

There was a woman on My 600# Life that lost a bunch of weight. Went on to be a mentor and speak to others about weight loss. Then had her miracle babies and started gaining it all back. She said it was due to the stress of her husband leaving and being a single parent, having to prepare snacks for her children, and being around them all day. Fair enough. It is very tempting to grab a cookie when we are giving the kiddos a cookie. It doesn't ever occur to these morbidly obese people that they can give their children healthy snacks too. Amy will use her children as a reason to eat junk food. 

Saw the recipe for grape salad. No, thanks. For me, the texture would be too weird and the salad too sweet. 

Mix it with egg salad like Amy lol.  

• LOL 8

I feel like grape salad is the Midwest answer to the South's ambrosia salad. It sounds delicious to me. Add celery and chicken and it becomes Waldorf Salad. But besides that, Amy has a pretty longstanding history of eating odd combinations for her food challenges. I don't think she needs to be pregnant for that 😄

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 1/25/2022 at 2:46 PM, lilysmom said:

There was a local kid, years ago, whose parents decided to make up a story about his being a little chef. Even though the kid was not at all smart, they managed to get him some pretty big gigs and one of them was a segment on a late night show. The host of the show asked him a question, and the kid just giggled. The host thought this was hysterical and made a big deal out of the giggle, even giggling right back at him.. From that point on, whenever he appeared anywhere, the giggle became his response to almost all questions. His chef gig didn't last for very long.

My point being, Amy has come out with some pretty funny malapropisms over the years. Now I think the producers have decided to have her do them on a very frequent basis. The producers have decided to have her say things like, does it take longer to drive somewhere in a car or fly there, simple things that any fourth grader would know.  The constant references to and the actual act of farting all the time would be another example. Another would be ending each sentence with "bitch". I think they need to be careful, because, just like the giggle, this gets old, fast and the gig could soon be over. 

Don't forget to add "tenture tantrums"  to that list.  Every time she says it I cringe.  It's funny because all this time I was thinking Amy was older than Tammy.  I guess it's because she looks like she's 50 instead of 33.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 1/25/2022 at 7:51 PM, Ria said:

I was shocked to read recently Darlene is only 61. She looks like she’s well into her 70s. I think it goes to show how much poor diet, poor nutrition and overall poor lifestyle choices wreck havoc on one’s body as the years go on. 

I thought she was my grandmothers age. She turned 90 2 weeks ago and has no need for a wheelchair or walker, She also grew up in extreme poverty (no electricity or plumbing and 10 people living in a 2 room shack) and abuse but growing up on a farm she still eats better then most people. She also took her life back in the early 80s when she had her dad and me and my brother to take care of. She got her GED and opened her own business which she was very successful at and just retired less then 10 years ago.

• Love 11

The supersized episode tonight showed three bonus scenes: (1) Amy, Chris, Michael, and Amanda making small talk around the table, i.e. Gage is growing so fast, etc., (2) Chris telling Dr. Smith he's gotten off insulin, and (3) Dr. Proctor discussing with Amy and Michael the importance of Gage getting on the right track nutritionally.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 8
15 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

The supersized episode tonight showed three bonus scenes: (1) Amy, Chris, Michael, and Amanda making small talk around the table, i.e. Gage is growing so fast, etc., (2) Chris telling Dr. Smith he's gotten off insulin, and (3) Dr. Proctor discussing with Amy and Michael the importance of Gage getting off on the right track nutritionally.

I was sure Chris had said he was type 1 diabetic, which would make it impossible to get off insulin.             

I wish Amy, and Michael, would take seriously Gage’s potential future health if they don’t learn proper diet and nutrition. The whole family is obese and from a young age. I hope Gage can avoid that but a lot depends on Amy and Michael learning proper eating habits. 

My mom is 87 and looks and acts younger than Darlene. I’ve never seen a 60 year old look so old. Unless she’s lying about her age by 20 years. 

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Ria said:

My mom is 87 and looks and acts younger than Darlene. I’ve never seen a 60 year old look so old. Unless she’s lying about her age by 20 years. 

I agree she looks much older, but I think if she at least had dentures, it would make her look a little younger.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Ria said:

I'm finding it hard to believe she's anywhere near 60.  I'm 60 and she looks a lot older than me.  I think she might be lying and be closer to  70 or else she's had a really hard life.

• Love 4
On 1/25/2022 at 1:46 AM, SDVegas said:

Amy and Michael can both put in the work to keep the house up. 

I fear they won't. I couldn't believe Amy had to have a massage for her pulled muscle when those women came over to  organize her apartment. She didn't do anything! I'm as lazy as they come, but I managed to keep my baby and her surroundings clean, without a partner and working full-time. I just have no patience for her excuses when it comes to that beautiful baby being raised in that filth. I know she loves Gage, but I wish she'd do more than just talk about wanting to do. And yes, I know Michael is responsible for Gage too, but at least Michael goes out to work and I think he just goes along with what Amy wants. Poor baby.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, HoneyBeach said:

I fear they won't. I couldn't believe Amy had to have a massage for her pulled muscle when those women came over to  organize her apartment. She didn't do anything! I'm as lazy as they come, but I managed to keep my baby and her surroundings clean, without a partner and working full-time. I just have no patience for her excuses when it comes to that beautiful baby being raised in that filth. I know she loves Gage, but I wish she'd do more than just talk about wanting to do. And yes, I know Michael is responsible for Gage too, but at least Michael goes out to work and I think he just goes along with what Amy wants. Poor baby.

That’s what rubs me the wrong way too. I know Gage is loved. But he’s growing up in filth with dead mice and cockroaches, filthy mattresses and floors, surrounded by people who are morbidly obese with horrible eating habits. Add in being present during his disturbed aunt’s outbursts and hearing name calling and swearing as normal conversation and this poor kid is starting life with so much stacked against him. And Amy wants another child? She can’t handle this one and clean her house. Which is now even bigger thanks to the move. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Aren’t some of the siblings in their  mid-40s?  If so Darlene may have been a teen mom.

Considering that she doesn't think ovulating has anything to do with pregnancy, it was probably lucky if she made it into her teens before she became a mom.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, SevenCostanza said:

I'm finding it hard to believe she's anywhere near 60.  I'm 60 and she looks a lot older than me.  I think she might be lying and be closer to  70 or else she's had a really hard life.

Let's go with a really hard life.  I just made 70 and I have all my teeth, am at a normal weight, and my dermatologist is jealous of my skin and complexion.  Mama looks a hell of lot older than me!

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

OK, I rewatched the episode, especially studying Darlene, and I'm doubling down on my opinion upthread that Darlene needs teeth.  The top half of her face doesn't look bad--she doesn't have many wrinkles--at least not many that I noticed on my 24-inch TV. 🤭  With a set of dentures, a dye job, and a little make-up, I'm betting she would wouldn't look half bad.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I think Amy will be fine moving away from Tammy. I eat when stressed and I wonder if she does too. My sister and I are fifteen months apart and we get along fine. I think Tammy is emotionally stuck at the age when her grandmother died. I was glad to see her siblings helping Amy move.

• Love 2

I don't like Tammy but I do feel sorry for her. It must be an awful existence to be rendered nearly immobile from being encased in fat (her fault, I know). She won't change, that's clear. It's just a matter of time before she is bedbound or worse.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Ria said:

I know Gage is loved. But he’s growing up in filth with dead mice and cockroaches, filthy mattresses and floors, surrounded by people who are morbidly obese with horrible eating habits. Add in being present during his disturbed aunt’s outbursts and hearing name calling and swearing as normal conversation and this poor kid is starting life with so much stacked against him. And Amy wants another child? She can’t handle this one and clean her house. Which is now even bigger thanks to the move. 

It really sucked to hear Amy tell the doctor she can’t eat healthy because she eats what Gage eats-animal crackers, etc.  why can’t she make Gage healthy food then?
Arrrrgghhh.

• Love 9
21 hours ago, Ria said:

That’s what rubs me the wrong way too. I know Gage is loved. But he’s growing up in filth with dead mice and cockroaches, filthy mattresses and floors, surrounded by people who are morbidly obese with horrible eating habits. Add in being present during his disturbed aunt’s outbursts and hearing name calling and swearing as normal conversation and this poor kid is starting life with so much stacked against him. And Amy wants another child? She can’t handle this one and clean her house. Which is now even bigger thanks to the move. 

So true!  Lots of talk about how much a parent loves a child don’t mean much when their actions don’t support it.  You might hear all kinds of expressions about how they would lay down their life for their child, but in reality that’s not required. What the child needs is a thinking and caring parent who provides for their health, education and welfare.  I wish Amy would dispense with the theatrics and do the work to get her house in order, nutrition as a priority and listen to medical advice.  Who cares for Gage if she dies or suffers disability during her next pregnancy that her doctor has warned her about?  It’s all about what Amy wants, imo.  Gage’s welfare doesn’t seem to be a priority to her based on what I’ve seen.  

Oh, did Dr. Proctor comment on Amy’s troubling cough?  Does she smoke?  It sounds horrible. Hope she gets it checked out.  

I once commented to a  close pregnant family friend that the greatest gift you could give your child would be to be raised from birth with good eating habits and an appreciation for good nutrition.  She looked at me like I was crazy! She and the father are very obese and survived on take out and food buffets for years.  The child is now a teen and very obese as well.  😔

Wasn’t there suppose to be another scene with Tammy laying down in the back seat? I was busy. Maybe, I missed it.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Wasn’t there suppose to be another scene with Tammy laying down in the back seat? I was busy. Maybe, I missed it.  

That was in the preview plus all the ads we've seen for this week's episode where Chris says she's stopped breathing. 

15 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

I'm sure it wasn't the first time. Obviously she STARTED breathing again because she's still alive. It's all TLC drama. 

Absolutely! First we see her saying something about "being tired" then Chris saying she stopped breathing. She probably dozed off , has sleep apnea and stops breathing several times a night. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The Tammy laying down on the seat with Chris being worried, is the preview for this Monday's season finale.      They do show it at the end of the episode, but often put part of the preview in the commercial breaks, so it's very confusing.  

• Useful 1
9 minutes ago, Boston said:

or chicken salad, potato salad.. just gross.. Never heard of grape salad

Neither have I but maybe Amy is really eating Ambrosia salad which is well, I'm not sure but I know it has fruit in it. Coconut, grapes etc. 

• LOL 2
1 minute ago, chenoa333 said:

Neither have I but maybe Amy is really eating Ambrosia salad which is well, I'm not sure but I know it has fruit in it. Coconut, grapes etc. 

Just so ya know:  I hate ambrosia salad.  Just me

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, magemaud said:

I’m sure they’re trying to capitalize on the popularity of this show, but I think “1,000 Lb. Best Friends” is a misnomer. If it was up to me, I’d name it something like “Friends By the Ton” because even if all four of these women lose a lot of weight, I think they’ll still total half a ton. 

I thought 1000 Pound Sisters described the combined weight of Tammy and Amy when the show started (maybe 600 Tammy and 400 Amy).  It might still be accurate with Tammy at 725 and Amy at 275 lol.  So 1000 Pound Friends is misleading because there are four of them and their average weight is hella higher than 250.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MrBuhBye said:

I thought 1000 Pound Sisters described the combined weight of Tammy and Amy when the show started (maybe 600 Tammy and 400 Amy).

I did, too. When the show began, I think Amy was about 450 and Tammy was 550. It seems that even after Amy has lost weight, Tammy has gained so much that they still total 1,000. 

1 hour ago, MrBuhBye said:

So 1000 Pound Friends is misleading because there are four of them and their average weight is hella higher than 250.

Those four probably would be thrilled to weigh in at a combined 1,000! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

There are actually photos online of closeups of Amy’s  floor around Gage’s crib and it’s littered with what looks like dead roaches and some say rat droppings. Her whole house is disgustingly filthy. Michael is equally responsible of course. What kind of parents allow their child to live in such filth? They’re going to have CPS at their door if they don’t literally clean up their act. That poor baby crawling around on that disgusting floor. While Amy complains how tired and stressed she is. What does she do all day? 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Ria said:

There are actually photos online of closeups of Amy’s  floor around Gage’s crib and it’s littered with what looks like dead roaches and some say rat droppings. Her whole house is disgustingly filthy. Michael is equally responsible of course. What kind of parents allow their child to live in such filth? They’re going to have CPS at their door if they don’t literally clean up their act. That poor baby crawling around on that disgusting floor. While Amy complains how tired and stressed she is. What does she do all day? 

I thought people usually get roaches in apartment buildings because all you need is one filthy neighbor.  Amy’s duplex was surrounded by open fields (hence her explanation that the field mice come in from the cold) with her sole neighbor being Tammy lol. But even if the roaches travelled from Tammy’s to Amy’s how were they introduced into the building at all.  I have heard they can hide in the flaps of brown paper bags and Tammy does get a lot of deliveries . . . .

Edited by MrBuhBye
1 minute ago, MrBuhBye said:

I thought people usually get roaches in a apartment buildings because all you need is one filthy neighbor.  Amy’s duplex was surrounded by open fields (hence her explanation that the field mice come in from the cold) with her sole neighbor being Tammy lol. But even if she the roaches travelled from Tammy’s to Amy’s how were they introduced into the building at all.  I have heard they can hide in the flaps of brown paper bags and Tammy does get a lot of deliveries . . . .

Roaches come in from the outside also. She may have a hard time because she is surrounded by open fields because that is where they live. 

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

I thought people usually get roaches in apartment buildings because all you need is one filthy neighbor.  Amy’s duplex was surrounded by open fields (hence her explanation that the field mice come in from the cold) with her sole neighbor being Tammy lol. But even if the roaches travelled from Tammy’s to Amy’s how were they introduced into the building at all.  I have heard they can hide in the flaps of brown paper bags and Tammy does get a lot of deliveries . . . .

They also will come with cardboard, so the deliveries are possible.    My childhood home would get them from the huge bags of potatoes, because they would have some deteriorating potatoes, and the roaches were in there, too.    I don't keep any cardboard around.    I store things in plastic storage containers, not cardboard. 

Another problem with roaches is that they carry disease.  Hantavirus, and other diseases are spread by mice.  

I'm betting if the roaches and mice were that bad at the old house, that Amy carried them with her to the new house.   There is no reason that they took that nasty mattress with them to their new house.    I bet there were a lot of little creatures that went to their new house.       

In older houses, mice are terribly hard to keep out.    They can get through tiny holes, and once they're in your house, they're very hard to get rid of.   

Amy will never keep that house clean.  Moving was her big chance to clear out a lot of stuff they no longer needed, and start fresh.   I bet Amy dragged everything from her old house to the new one.  

(By the way, I hate Ambrosia salad too.   It's nothing but a bowl of fat and sugar.   I really don't like any molded jello stuff either. )

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Gage’s welfare doesn’t seem to be a priority to her based on what I’ve seen.  

I think that might be changing; the doctor told Amy that genetically Gage had a very good chance of having a weight problem as well and told them to meet with the nutritionist/dietician at his clinic that day.    I'd like to think that happened...  🥺

• Love 3