Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

• Start Topic

It has been used to treat non obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy which is in adolescents. If she does have that diagnosis, she shouldn’t even be competing because she could die. That’s the only thing that makes sense without her making it look like she’s a cheater. Regardless, it sucks that rules don’t apply to 15 year olds.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3
37 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'm fed up with Russia always being able to send their athletes even though the country was "banned" from the past several Olympics. The only way to stop this repeated cheating is to ban all Russians (athletes, judges, etc) from the next six Olympics (3 summer/3 winter). 

If I remember correctly it's up to the individual sport federations if they allow Russians in their competition. The IAAF is very strict with who they allow to compete(Google tells me they allowed 10 Russian athletes to compete at the last summer games). 

I know the IOC lets each sport determine age eligibility for the Olympics but for crying out loud, if the WADA code says a 15-year-old is too young to "possess the mental capacity to understand and appreciate the prohibitions against conduct contained in the Code" then they should not be allowed to compete in the Olympics! 

Quote above from this article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/winter-olympics/russia-at-center-of-another-olympic-doping-controversy/ar-AATF2Wh?li=AAL2Bz4&ocid=DELLDHP

• Love 11
28 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I am only a casual figure skater watcher, and forgive me if this has been addressed, but when Hanyu did a single instead of a planned quad, he instantly got zero points because he didn't do his planned quad.  What if he did a triple?  Does he still get zero points? Or does the jump get downgraded to a triple?

He got zero point because he needed to do at least a triple jump and he only did at best a single. In the short, each skater must do seven elements. The jumps are solo triple or quad jump, combo triple/triple or quad/triple, and triple axel. The other elements are spins and footwork. It's more complicated than this, but a single jump doesn't qualify for any of the elements but does count as a jump so he couldn't throw in a triple later on (only three jump passes allowed in the short.)

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

A single has a base point value of 0, but if he had done a double or triple, he would have received points.

Zero points for double, too, it must be a triple or quad. Take Kevin Amoyz, he popped his quad salchow to a triple. No problem, because he still did a triple. He just lost base value. 

eta: I see @Good Queen Jane beat me to it 😉

Edited by healthnut
  • Love 3

Reading through the WADA code, and yikes.

Where the anti-doping rule violation not involving a Substance of Abuse is committed by a Protected Person or Recreational Athlete, and the Protected Person or Recreational Athlete can establish No Significant Fault or Negligence, then the period of Ineligibility shall be, at a minimum, a reprimand and no period of Ineligibility, and at a maximum, two (2) years Ineligibility, depending on the Protected Person or Recreational Athlete’s degree of Fault.

• Useful 3
37 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I am flabbergasted. If you’re allowed to compete when you’re under 16 then you should have to actually, you know, follow the rules lol.

How can that be right?  If 16 year olds aren't penalized for PED's, then why even test them?  Even if she is completely innocent, we have to assume that her performance was enhanced by taking these meds.  How can we let a drug-enhanced performance stand?  I think there is a lot of rumors flying around that are going to be proven false.

Back in 1972, there was an American swimmer, Rick DeMont who won a gold medal that was stripped from him after drug testing.  Turns out he was using an asthma inhaler and reported it to the US Olympic committee who somehow screwed up and didn't submit it to the IOC.  Had they gotten notification, it would've been legal.  The US appealed and the ban stood.  He was stripped of the gold and not allowed to compete in any other events, including one in which he held the world record.  

10 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Reading through the WADA code, and yikes.

OK, but does that include past performances or does it mean going forward once the PED is no longer detectable and the athlete has been educated as to its illegality?  I don't see how her performances in the team competition can be left to stand whether she knew or not.  And I don't see how she can be allowed to continue to compete without testing clean first.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Minneapple said:

Man that's total bullshit. So any athlete under 16 could just use whatever, steroids, HGH and oh they're under 16 they can do that?

If she's old enough to compete then she's old enough to play by the rules.

This may be moot in a couple of years for Figure Skating. As I understand, it has been proposed to raise the age limit for competitors to 17. It passed, it would be a gradual increase. Starting next season with the age to enter seniors being 16. Then 17 for the 2023-2024 season. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I am only a casual figure skater watcher, and forgive me if this has been addressed, but when Hanyu did a single instead of a planned quad, he instantly got zero points because he didn't do his planned quad.  What if he did a triple?  Does he still get zero points? Or does the jump get downgraded to a triple?

He got 0 points because in the short program there are a few required elements, and one of them is a triple or quad solo jump. If you don't execute that requirement you get 0 points. In the free skate you get points for whatever you actually executed. So if you pop a jump in the free skate, you would get the points for a single jump.

ETA: And I see other people already answered.

Edited by redpencil

I'm all for raising the age limit in qualifications.  Again I can't blame Kamila it's the higher ups who need to pay as well as the entire Russian Olympic Federation.  I know it's easy for us to be outraged because...it's Russia.  And God knows our slate isn't clean on doping issues.  When Lance Armstrong got busted, we cleaned house.  Russia gets a few slaps on the wrist and still gets to send a major delegation.  Hard punishments need to be laid down especially on Eteri and her enablers.

• Love 13

From the WADA text upthread, it sounds like that's solely about the punishment for the athlete going forward for a positive test, but does not address what happens to the medal itself. My guess would be a medal is still stripped, but the eligibility punishment could be less than an older athlete, but doesn't necessarily have to be solely a reprimand. Though I don't know for sure of course. Seems like it depends on how they judge that person's level of culpability.

8 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

OK, but does that include past performances or does it mean going forward once the PED is no longer detectable and the athlete has been educated as to its illegality?  I don't see how her performances in the team competition can be left to stand whether she knew or not.  And I don't see how she can be allowed to continue to compete without testing clean first.

Apparently the positive came from a sample in December, so I don't know if lab tests take that long, or if ROC was with holding the result as long as possible so she could continue to compete. Are they tested again right before they compete to confirm?

How old was the gymnast Raducan (I think the was her name) when they stripped her of her medal a million years ago in Australia?  I think she was under 18.

As @Minneapple said:

If she's old enough to compete then she's old enough to play by the rules.

There are many athletes who compete clean and they have a right to compete on a level playing field.

Tonight should be very interesting.  GO NATHAN!!

• Love 9
17 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

How old was the gymnast Raducan (I think the was her name) when they stripped her of her medal a million years ago in Australia?  I think she was under 18.

As @Minneapple said:

There are many athletes who compete clean and they have a right to compete on a level playing field.

Tonight should be very interesting.  GO NATHAN!!

Raducan was 16, just shy of 17 in Sydney.

I agree with the poster upthread, expel all ROC athletes and strip the entire federation of all medals they've won so far. Enough is enough. It's the third Olympics in a row that they aren't even recognized as a country.

Edited by DawnDavenport
  • Love 19

Agree with all the above comments.

I'm mind-boggled over these rules. So what's every country going to do now, start doping the hell out of 15 and 16 year-olds? China must be salivating over the possibility. 

Whether Kamila was aware, complicit or not, the bottom line is you can't have multiple sets of rules. The playing field is either level or it isn't. If she isn't removed from the competition, then the whole event is tarnished.

Johnny must be stroking out right now. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 19
26 minutes ago, redpencil said:

From the WADA text upthread, it sounds like that's solely about the punishment for the athlete going forward for a positive test, but does not address what happens to the medal itself. My guess would be a medal is still stripped, but the eligibility punishment could be less than an older athlete, but doesn't necessarily have to be solely a reprimand. Though I don't know for sure of course. Seems like it depends on how they judge that person's level of culpability.

Hmm, if that's the case, and the rumour is true that the positive test came from December instead of during these Games, maybe that's where the argument is coming from that she (and Russia) might not be stripped of this medal or that she would still be allowed to compete in the individual event? Since it says that there's no minimum period of ineligibility?

But yeah, based on that wording, I can see why there's apparently a lot of legal wrangling going on behind the scenes. Either way, I would hope that whatever investigation WADA does would be looking closely at her coaches and trainers, since it seems almost certain they would have had to be involved, and most likely were the ones pushing it.

Edited by AshleyN
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, AshleyN said:

But yeah, based on that wording, I can see why there's apparently a lot of legal wrangling going on behind the scenes. Either way, I would hope that whatever investigation WADA does would be looking closely at her coaches and trainers, since it seems almost certain they would have had to be involved, and most likely were the ones pushing it.

Yeah, sounds like there is a lot of different issues here, including when the positive test was (if not during the competition), her age, etc.

The IOC really shouldn't have been so spineless with Russia to begin with after 2014 (though I can't remember if other bodies came into play? it's been too long of a saga at this point). Some sports have certainly been more harsh than others in allowing those athletes to compete or not, but there was definitely never enough of a punishment on the Russian federation as a whole.

• Love 12
11 minutes ago, AshleyN said:

Hmm, if that's the case, and the rumour is true that the positive test came from December instead of during these Games, maybe that's where the argument is coming from that she (and Russia) might not be stripped of this medal or that she would still be allowed to compete in the individual event? Since it says that there's no minimum period of ineligibility?

If I'm reading that snippet correctly, the no minimum period of ineligibility is predicated on the athlete have zero knowledge of the doping.  Which can very well be true, but that would require Kamila to admit her coach or team doctor was responsible.  The Russians would have to decide if a single skater was worth more than Eteri unless they have a convenient fall guy.  Even if they have some doctor take the fall, I still think Eteri would be in the hot seat and face serious repercussions.  She's the captain of the ship.  

• Love 2

Here's more from WADA, which says nothing about Protected Persons being exempt:

Disqualification of Results in Competitions Subsequent to Sample Collection or Commission of an Anti-Doping Rule Violation

In addition to the automatic Disqualification of the results in the Competition which produced the positive Sample under Article 9, all other competitive results of the Athlete obtained from the date a positive Sample was collected (whether In-Competition or Out-of-Competition), or other anti-doping rule violation occurred, through the commencement of any Provisional Suspension or Ineligibility period, shall, unless fairness requires otherwise, be Disqualified with all of the resulting Consequences including forfeiture of any medals, points and prizes.

To me it reads that she'll be DQ'd and stripped of medals (probably Europeans too), but may not have a suspension period, because she's a protected person, so she could still compete in Worlds. I can't find where "fairness" is defined though, so that may be their silver bullet.

As for the Team Medal, they only recommend sanctions if more than two members commit a violation, but specify that the Federation can impose stricter consequences at their own discretion:

If more than two members of a team in a Team Sport are found to have committed an anti-doping rule violation during an Event Period, the ruling body of the Event shall impose an appropriate sanction on the team (e.g., loss of points, Disqualification from a Competition or Event, or other sanction) in addition to any Consequences imposed upon the individual Athletes committing the anti-doping rule violation.

Edited by absnow54
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Yeah, missing a jump and testing positive for Covid is sad, but crap happens in life. 

But doping? I feel for the girl because I can't believe she wasn't forced. Her quad is tainted now even if she can do it without the "medication." But again, I blame Eteri and the others in control. 

I was heartbroken for Vincent because it's got to totally suck having to pull out because got sick and for Yuzu, because he just had the bad luck of hitting that divot at just the wrong moment. These athletes work so hard and to be taken out of competition (or in Yuzu's case, probable medal contention) for something outside their control really stinks.

But the ROC team is making a mockery of fair sport. I never bought the idea that it was possible to punish the federation while not punishing the athletes was ever going to be possible. And my opinion of Eteri and the way she goes through these young skaters like toilet paper is probably not possible to say in polite company. It's not to say that there aren't abuses in other countries, but in Russia it does seem to be systematic and there is zero concern for the wellbeing of the athletes.

• Love 23
1 hour ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

it does feel like a million years ago. She was 16

• Love 1

This story just doesn’t make sense. Did she test for something before the Olympics? During the team competition? And Eteri is a lot of things but not stupid; I find it hard to believe that she would be this sloppy…….also wouldn’t KV have been tested throughout the season? What are the odds that if she is taking something, the coaches would have just started giving it to her? Wouldn’t it have shown up before? I feel bad for KV though, she’s 15 so whatever is happening, it’s likely outside of her control. 

It will be interesting to see what happens; it would just mind boggling stupid for if Eteri just started giving KV a banned substance, especially at a time when Russian athletes are all under such intense scrutiny. Does anyone know, were there any positive tests for Russian athletes during the summer games last year? 

ETA: I heard this from a friend who lives in Russia, but is not Russian. I don’t know if it’s true.

RE: KV “The sample in question had been taken two months ago, the drug trimetazidine was found in one single sample in December. A minuscule amount. Nothing in her samples before or since.”

Edited by ShellsandCheese
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, ShellsandCheese said:

This story just doesn’t make sense. Did she test for something before the Olympics? During the team competition? And Eteri is a lot of things but not stupid; I find it hard to believe that she would be this sloppy…….also wouldn’t KV have been tested throughout the season? What are the odds that if she is taking something, the coaches would have just started giving it to her? Wouldn’t it have shown up before? I feel bad for KV though, she’s 15 so whatever is happening, it’s likely outside of her control. 

I think WADA (World Anti Doping Agency) which runs all the Olympic screening,  can do random testing on athletes throughout the season.  Many think that the Russians manage to be tipped off beforehand so they can be sure their athletes test clean.  It is possible that Kamila got caught in random testing that her coaches somehow didn't anticipate. 

During the Moscow Olympics, the Russians actually cut holes in the walls to store clean urine specimens for athletes to submit as their own.  Maybe someone forgot to substitute a clean sample for Kamila.

We're also dealing with human physiology here and perhaps, for some reason, it took Kamila a little longer than expected to clear the drug from her system.  While we know how long different medications hang around in the urine, there can be some variation and perhaps, as with random surprise testing, there was too short an interval between her last dose of the drug and her next urine screen.

However, I do not understand how a positive test from December wasn't known until after she'd already competed in the Olympics.  It can take some time to do drug testing, but there would be no point in doing it at all if the results weren't available in time to affect the competition.  Unless, of course, the Russians tried to hide it.  WADA does have rules as to how many tests athletes in the various sports must have before competing and it seems like she would've had to have had more than one drug test recently to have been allowed to participate at all.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, absnow54 said:

He even composed the Olympic Theme that NBC uses. 

I hate that music.

9 hours ago, Jillibean said:

Whenever I get frustrated with Johnny and Tara I think back to how much I couldn't stand the Scott Hamilton team and feel better. Johnny at least explains things sometimes, and can both visually note and explain on replay under-rotated jumps or why someone fell. Scott never did that, and I have trouble personally noting a jump that's under unless it's really under, so I need that support. 

Yeah, Johnny without Tara has the makings of a good announcer.  Tara is the problem.

8 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Weed is a banned substance?

Yes.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

During the Moscow Olympics, the Russians actually cut holes in the walls to store clean urine specimens for athletes to submit as their own. 

In Sochi they built a building right next to the anti-doping center, cut a hole in the wall and had people passing dirty Russian samples out and replacing them with clean samples.

42 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

Unless, of course, the Russians tried to hide it.

I'd put serious money on that one.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

WADA does show up randomly. I remember reading a profile on Simone before the 2016 olympics the author mentioned while she was with Simone, WADA showed up. 

Also I think when Aly Raisman was doing DWTS she was visiting Access Hollywood and WADA was there. 

The punishment to Team "ROC" and Eteri, etc. should be worse if they involved a minor in doping, not lighter. While it's sad if Kamila has been unaware of the situation, it wouldn't be fair to let her continue to compete or for the team medal to stand. If she'd been an adult, the medal would most likely be stripped and she wouldn't be able to compete in the individual event. If Sha'Carri Richardson was banned from competing in Tokyo for weed, then the same punishment should be applied (if not more severe) if Eteri/ROC are feeding their athletes with banned/dangerous substances. I hope the athletes (including Kamila) don't suffer any long-term effects on their health from this.

No more slaps on the wrist or letting Russia compete under a band-aid title. There should be real repercussions, both on the ISU and IOC level.

ETA - I'm curious to see if Johnny will address this on-air, since he's been such an annoying cheerleader for Team Russia ROC.

Edited by OnePlusOne
  • Love 22
5 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

WADA does show up randomly. I remember reading a profile on Simone before the 2016 olympics the author mentioned while she was with Simone, WADA showed up. 

Also I think when Aly Raisman was doing DWTS she was visiting Access Hollywood and WADA was there. 

Drug testing only works when it is truly random.  The Russians already proved how easy it is to circumvent scheduled tests.  

• Love 14
23 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

Didn't they do the same to Kyoko Ina? It was sometime in mid-2002, they showed up at her home and she refused to give them a urine sample late a night. I believe that was the end of her amateur skating career.

Edited by DawnDavenport
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, OnePlusOne said:

ETA - I'm curious to see if Johnny will address this on-air, since he's been such an annoying cheerleader for Team Russia ROC.

Truthfully. I would hope nothing is addressed until all the facts are out and that the focus is on the men competing; none of whom have anything to do with whatever is currently happening behind the scenes. 

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

Carolina Kostner had a temporary suspension because she lied to WADA about her boyfriend being home when they came to test him. It wasn’t even a test for her, but she got in trouble anyway. Waaaay too nice of a girlfriend!

• Love 3

On a lighter note if the gold gets stripped from Russia then it will be the first gold for American pairs. 

8 minutes ago, DawnDavenport said:

Didn't they do the same to Kyoko Ina? It was sometime in mid-2002, they showed up at her home and she refused to give them a urine sample late a night. I believe that was the end of her amateur skating career.

Did she just not want to do it so late or was it an indication of substance use?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
Just now, scarynikki12 said:

On a lighter note if the gold gets stripped from Russia then it will be the first gold for American pairs. 

Did she just not want to do it so late or was it an indication of substance use?

Just looked it up and here are some additional details:  It was 10:30 at night and she couldn't give a sample and she thought she could do it the next day. However, she was charged with refusing to take the test and was suspended. It was actually USADA and not WADA.

That's from her Wiki page so I'm not sure if there is more to the story than that. I was suspicious of her version of the story at the time so no telling what the truth really is.

• Useful 2
7 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

Carolina Kostner had a temporary suspension because she lied to WADA about her boyfriend being home when they came to test him. It wasn’t even a test for her, but she got in trouble anyway. Waaaay too nice of a girlfriend!

The whole system is a joke and needs to be overhauled. 

• Love 3

I am also a casual figure skater watcher.  We try to see most of the competitions, and just now catching up on the dailies about the Russian skater. 

Jackie Wong from On Ice just said that Yuzuru appears to not have a coach.  What happened to Brian.  The one who was with him during the short, is with him at practice.  We are watching the practice replay now, and the one who was with him in the short, is with him now.

Our USA channel has figure skating marked, as well as NBC, if anyone is curious.

ETA: 

I agree with those that Jason Brown should have brought back River Dance.  With that program under his old coach, did she own the rights to the choreography.  Loved that Nathen brought back Rocket Man.  

One more thing about Rocket Man, has anyone else noticed how Elton John is used by a lot of the skaters this season.

Edited by Bessiesue
  • Love 1

Refusing to do a test or not telling them your wherabouts is a big no no with WADA. One of the track athletes missed Tokyo because they upheld her suspension. 

I remember Simone being annoyed because they were showing up like 6 times a week in the lead up to the 2016 games and said its part of my life now. 

I also remember Alicia Sacramone having an issue during her comeback because she wasn't in testing long enough before competing at Worlds. 

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, ShellsandCheese said:

Truthfully. I would hope nothing is addressed until all the facts are out and that the focus is on the men competing; none of whom have anything to do with whatever is currently happening behind the scenes. 

It's already news.  NBC will just look stupid if they refuse to acknowledge that the team medal ceremony has been delayed because of a possible positive test.  They can be vague and say that details are emerging and maybe say that someone from the Russian team is implicated but the story is too prevalent for them to just ignore.  Their coverage isn't the best but whew...they can't be that terrible.

I don't think NBC should go an interview the athletes before they step onto the ice about this but they should talk about it.  Nothing they could say is going to be more disruptive than it already is for the skaters.

It's also likely this is not a surprise to most of them.  Athletes know when doping is being done in their sport even if it's not proven. This may overshadow some of the competition but I'd be surprised if these athletes are going to be overly distracted by it.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 9
19 minutes ago, ShellsandCheese said:

The whole system is a joke and needs to be overhauled. 

Kostner's boyfriend at the time was racewalker Alex Schwazer and a 2012 chain of events led to him being given a 3.5 year suspension for a doping violation. Shortly after he returned from suspension, he was suspended again though there are some questions about his second positive-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Schwazer

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1105694/alex-schwazer-sebastian-coe

I agree, the fact that they drugged a minor and gave her medication she almost certainly didn't need deserves harsh penalties for the coaches and anyone else involved.

I just am really worried that actually, all the hate will go towards Kamila. Because people on social media are really shitty like that.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I am sure the russians (and johnny) are crafting a cover-up as we speak

Sorta like the US AND LANCE FRICKIN' ARMSTRONG.  I don't think Johnny will express anything but regret that we will not see Kamila in the long program.  The news reporters will cover this.  

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I agree, the fact that they drugged a minor and gave her medication she almost certainly didn't need deserves harsh penalties for the coaches and anyone else involved.

I just am really worried that actually, all the hate will go towards Kamila. Because people on social media are really shitty like that.

Not only this, but Kamila is also a Tatar, a Muslim-Russian minority. People always jump to bigotry when they're upset about something on the internet.

Edited by Domenicholas
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Domenicholas said:

Not only this, but Kamila is also a Tatar, a Muslim-Russian minority. People always jump to bigotry when they're upset about something on the internet.

I was just thinking the same thing. It's awful. 

I hope she has a strong support system around her but I really doubt it.

• Love 7