Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I think I still am traumatized by how vicious some of the Kweeniacs could be back in the day that I don't enjoy MK programs as much as I should? 

I guess I never saw the Kweeniacs' comments but I do remember how vicious the Gracie Gold fanatics were.  We have a lot of people on our planet who don't need much persuasion to become obsessed & rabid over a sports figure.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I guess I never saw the Kweeniacs' comments but I do remember how vicious the Gracie Gold fanatics were.  We have a lot of people on our planet who don't need much persuasion to become obsessed & rabid over a sports figure.

I remember them being very inappropriate about Tara, and implying that Tara was a hussy because she guest-starred on Bold and the Beautiful? It was crazy hours.

I do remember that time and how it was totally not okay to say you liked both Michelle and Tara.  Tara’s fans didn’t seem to mind, but Michelle’s fans definitely did.

Edited by Crs97
Because I am sure Tara has more than one fan
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I remember them being very inappropriate about Tara, and implying that Tara was a hussy because she guest-starred on Bold and the Beautiful? It was crazy hours.

Sounds so teenybopperish, but I'm sure many of them were older. These people seem to glom onto sports figures & TV celebs. Some can be dangerous. I wonder how Hanyu feels about the obsessiveness of so many of his fans. It has to be unsettling for these talented people who, through no fault of their own, attract such OTT fans. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I do remember that time and how it was totally not okay to say you liked both Michelle and Tara.  Tara’s fan didn’t seem to mind, but Michelle’s fans definitely did.

At one point a big message board (the now defunct fsworld) banned any and all talk of Tara. The message board leader Adrian Chew later turned against Michelle and became a huge Sasha Cohen fan.

IMO, anyone who is going to be called a GOAT has to have an element of longevity. Anyone can burn bright and then flame out. Those who keep up the excellence for years on end are the true standouts.

Edited by Conotocarious
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Anyone remember the "Sergei Widows?"  They were obsessed with Gordeeva and Grinkov, and how "beautiful and pure their love was."  It was wild.  

• Love 1
Just now, 88Keys said:

Anyone remember the "Sergei Widows?"  They were obsessed with Gordeeva and Grinkov, and how "beautiful and pure their love was."  It was wild.  

Ah, Sergei Widows, by far the CRAZIEST fan group i have ever encountered. Remember for awhile they were trying to figure out how to get Katia and Ilia deported.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Ah, Sergei Widows, by far the CRAZIEST fan group i have ever encountered. Remember for awhile they were trying to figure out how to get Katia and Ilia deported.

Unfortunately, I never had the pleasure of interacting with them, but had read about them and read some quotes from them on another board.  Like you said, even by obsessed fan standards, they sounded pretty crazy.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I think I still am traumatized by how vicious some of the Kweeniacs could be back in the day that I don't enjoy MK programs as much as I should? 

The first time I watched Figure Skating was the win Tara won the Olympics. I was eleven and thought it was the coolest thing. Tara Lipinski got me into Figure Skating and remember people being so mean to her and I couldn’t understand it. It took me a long time to appreciate Michelle because of it. 

I’ve been apart of a couple different fandoms that had a lot of hate in them. Still surprises me that Figure Skating fans have some of the worse. 

• Love 2

OK, let me vent.  NBC, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?

I vacationed over Valentine's weekend and set my DVR to record the ice dancing competition.  For some reason, the DVR didn't record them.  No problem, I thought.  I HAVE NBC BEIJING ON DEMAND and they have an entire category for Figure Skating.  I checked the end date:  3/30 so I had plenty of time to see them.  This morning, I got my coffee and watched Part 1 of the Rhythm Dance AND THEY HAVE DELETED PART 2 AND ALL OF THE FREE DANCE!!!!  Yet, NBC still has 142 listings of CURLING EVENTS!!  If anyone has cable with the On Demand, I would SO appreciate checking your Figure Skating listings to see if it is truly NBC or that awful Spectrum Cable that deleted it.  Heads will roll!!!  

6 hours ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

OK, let me vent.  NBC, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?

They’ve removed everything on YouTube and Peacock. Here’s what you need to do: use a VPN or the Opera browser and watch on the YouTube Olympic channel. If you have Peacock, you can watch the coverages for each night but no individual figure skating replays. No explanation has been given from NBC as to why the figure skating coverage has been deleted. 

On 2/23/2022 at 4:21 PM, healthnut said:

They’ve removed everything on YouTube and Peacock. Here’s what you need to do: use a VPN or the Opera browser and watch on the YouTube Olympic channel. If you have Peacock, you can watch the coverages for each night but no individual figure skating replays. No explanation has been given from NBC as to why the figure skating coverage has been deleted. 

I have a free Peacock account, so I don't know if the skating was moved behind the paywall.  If it was, well there's our answer.  Maybe they're hoping people seeking out the marquee events of the Games will be willing to shell out.

SO, K/F will have a new short for World's? That's inconvenient. And petty. 

Don’t worry, Heavy Young Heathens, I turned the volume down on my TV when Knierim/Frazier skated. Wouldn’t want to give you any unnecessary exposure. I mean, people might actually want to know who you are after hearing your music at the Olympics. But that's okay. Get Daddy to file another frivolous lawsuit. 

• Love 6

@AuntieDiane6 and @healthnut-

Do you have spectrum?  
Because under the "Return to Being" on the olympic channel, they are replaying the Men's Singles on 2/26 from 11:30pm to 12:30am  and then Ice Dancing on 2/27 from 12:30am-1:30am
They don't specify, but I think it is the long programs, and probably just the top teams.  So....it's something?

Edited by KittenPokerCheater
  • Love 1
On 2/25/2022 at 4:23 PM, ChicksDigScars said:

SO, K/F will have a new short for World's? That's inconvenient. And petty. 

Maybe they can resurrect an older SP and gussy it up. Or hey...ask The Animals if they can skate to *their* version? 😏

Edited by annzeepark914

Somehow I doubt that NBC taking down the figure skating content from Peacock is only about music rights. For one thing, is there even any evidence that Knierim/Frazier didn't get the proper approval to use the music? They're both veterans, and so are their coaches - there's no way they don't know the procedures for getting music approval. Second, this lawsuit is going to be laughed right out of court. It's a freaking COVER of a song that's been around for decades, and the exposure of being used for a figure skating program is a net benefit to the band. It wasn't being used in a derogatory or negative fashion in any way. It was also used by this team prior to the Olympics, but oh look, the group only sues while the Olympics are on? This is just clearly a publicity stunt by this band who I bet most people only heard of for the first time because of Knierim/Frazier's program!

Of course I don't really know what shenanigans are going on to explain why NBC pulled the skating content from Peacock so soon after the Olympics finished, but I don't think it's just about this music lawsuit.

• Love 4
On 2/25/2022 at 3:18 PM, absnow54 said:

That's sort of mind boggling to me. They've been streaming figure skating content for years now, have they really not been licensing the music properly? 

No, they've been licensing as they always have.  Sporting events have generally been licensed globally by the various venues as well as a blanket license obtained by the networks/figure skating.  It compensates the artists, but at a lower rate than they'd get if their music was used in a regular movie or television program.  The group that recorded the particular version of "House of the Rising Sun' objects to this and wants to be paid more, a lot more, than the sporting events rights' money will give them.  They've sued multiple other entities for using their music in these sorts of situations.  It turns out that the attorney who represents them is the father of two of the members of the band.  Presumably, they want NBC to pay them money to go away.  Looks like NBC has decided to play hardball.

11 hours ago, ombelico said:

Somehow I doubt that NBC taking down the figure skating content from Peacock is only about music rights. For one thing, is there even any evidence that Knierim/Frazier didn't get the proper approval to use the music? Th

Kneirem and Frazier didn't even need to do it.  It is generally accepted by artists that their music will be used during sporting events and such.  The venues where these events take place pay a small licensing fee and it covers use there.  Then, NBC or other broadcast entities pay for its use on the air.  The music is considered part of a 'live performance' which means the artist gets a nominal amount.  If a song is used in a movie or TV show, the artists would receive a lot more based on multiple showings of the program, this would be well into 6 figures per song when it comes to the Olympics or other big time sporting events.  Obviously, no figure skater can afford to pay over $1 mil per season to use 2 songs; one for the short and one for free skate.  This is why NBC is trying to avoid their exposure until the matter is settled in court.  If these guys win, it could set a precedent and every artist whose music is used would be entitled to a massive payout and that would be the end of figure skating on TV.

This article goes into some detail.  Essentially, artists get paid 'public performance' fees and these guys now want 'synchronization' fees which are many times higher.  Much of this stems from the fact that all of these performances now live forever online and these particular artists want to be compensated for the ongoing use.  Most artists consider it to be good exposure for their music, these guys want the money.

https://www.ipwatchdog.com/2018/03/29/musical-artists-get-paid-when-skaters-use-their-songs-olympics/id=95117/

https://www.ipwatchdog.com/2018/03/29/musical-artists-get-paid-when-skaters-use-their-songs-olympics/id=95117/

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

So, what happens when skaters use the old war horses? Does the fee go to the orchestra that recorded the music they're skating to? Is it a lesser amount since the creator of the music has been dead for 100-200 years?

There are two different issues; both the songwriter and performer are entitled to royalties.  For songwriters like Beethoven and Mozart, no problem, music that is that old is in the public domain, there is no one to pay for writing it.  Same with House of the Rising Sun for that matter, it's an old blues tune, about 100 years old and nobody ever took credit for writing it or copywrited it; so anyone can use the song without paying.  For that matter, a group can record the tune without paying anyone, either, probably part of the reason its popularity has been ongoing, besides the fact it is a great song.

However, there is then the matter of the performer, they are also entitled to royalties if their version of a tune is used and this is who is suing for the use of the song by K/F.  They're claiming that their version of the song is particularly unique and special and therefore, deserves special recognition including being paid for each time it is played.  That is the 'synch' fee that the article above mentions which would entitle the band to hundreds of thousands in fees for its use by K/F.  I presume their attorney is requesting payment from NBC for every single time the performance is viewed on any of their platforms including On Demand, Peacock, the NBC website, etc.  

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 2/22/2022 at 3:48 PM, Lady Whistleup said:

What’s funny to me is that back in the day I didn’t mind Lipinski, she had a great skate at the Olympics and deserved her Gold , it happens.

However now  I curse that win because I have to endure her chatter on TV with Weir.  Fingers on a chalkboard would be a bliss alternative.

• Love 1