Type keyword(s) to search

Alpine Skiing

• Start Topic

The only thing that I have to say about Downhill skiing so far is that one of the commentators farted really loud during training runs last night and absolutely made my day! The other commentator just barreled right through but I could tell she was a little taken aback. Yes, I am a child but I would not have been able to continue the commentating. She was a real professional.

• LOL 4
38 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

I'm watching the women's Moguls now, and I'm still wondering how they have their own hips, knees, and ankles with all that pounding!

I've had three knee surgeries and my knees hurt just from looking at them going down the moguls.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

I'm watching the women's Moguls now, and I'm still wondering how they have their own hips, knees, and ankles with all that pounding!

Skiing scares me to death. I went once when I was 13 and never again. I figure skate now and that’s enough risk for me! 

• Love 2

The post race interview with Mikaela was really strange.

She said that there was nothing wrong with the course, but the interviewer never asked that.  I got the feeling that the course sucks, and she can't say so on air.

Edited by nittany cougar
4 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

The post race interview with Mikaela was really strange.

She said that there was nothing wrong with the course, but the interviewer never asked that.  I got the feeling that the course sucks, and she can't say so on air.

She said conditions were great.  Just was pushing hard and lost an edge.

Happy to see my Olympics crush Lara Gut back, although now she's Lara Gut-Behrami.  Heart sinks.  Happy she got the bronze.

HUGE crash right for poor Nina O'Brein.  She's was taken off strapped in a sled.  Lots of images of worried US racers.  They say she's conscious but no update about the injury.  Not sure if she's supposed to have other events, but surely her games are over.

Happy for Sara Hector, great story with the comeback from a serious knee injury.  Love that you can see all the women are genuinely happy for each other.  Gut-Behrami gave her a big hug, and the Brignone was all smiles as well.  Even though these women are direct competitors, it seems that they are all friends on the tour and celebrate each other's victories.  Nice to see that.

I'm curious about this venue.  I read somewhere that this mountain only gets 8 inches of snow a year.  So I'm guessing this must all be artificial snow?  And it's only on the ski runs.  Was this venue created for these Olympics?  Or is this where the locals go to ski?  Can't seem to see any chair lifts, so perhaps it's a created venue?

• Love 1
19 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Yes, they said it's all manmade snow at most (if not all) of the venues. 

Yeah. It’s weird because if you look around outside of the courses/venues, it’s all brown mountains.

The Washington Post ran a photo of O’Brien’s foot turned out…unnaturally. Ouch!

• Love 1

Wow, what a tremendous disappointment for Mikaela.  Has the pressure gotten to her?  I feel for her.  Hopefully she can bounce back.  Speed events likely not going to be her best chance for a medal.  Hoping she can podium in the combined.

• Love 3
Just now, KittenPokerCheater said:

What happened?  I don't know enough about skiing to know what happened.  Was she not supposed to ski around one of the blue poles?

In short, she is supposed to ski downhill zig zagging around the poles.  The closer a skier comes to the pole, the shorter the distance and the better their time.  However, when skiing so fast and so close, a skier can easily miss a turn and end up passing the pole on the wrong side.  That is an automatic disqualification.  There are no do-overs in slalom.  Schiffrin usually doesn't make those kinds of mistakes, but it can happen to anyone.

I would like someone to take the producer to task who ordered the cameras to focus on Mikaiela and eventually her mother, too, as she sat on the side of the course, clearly distraught.  It was really invasive and uncalled-for, IMO.  The audience didn't need to see it and I am sure before the night is over, one of NBC's intrepid reporters will shove a microphone in her face and ask her how it felt to screw up 2 races in a row in the Olympics.

• Love 13
29 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

I would like someone to take the producer to task who ordered the cameras to focus on Mikaiela and eventually her mother, too, as she sat on the side of the course, clearly distraught.  It was really invasive and uncalled-for, IMO.  The audience didn't need to see it and I am sure before the night is over, one of NBC's intrepid reporters will shove a microphone in her face and ask her how it felt to screw up 2 races in a row in the Olympics.

To each their own.  She's the biggest US star in these games.  We celebrate her wins just as much as we console her in her defeats.  She's human, just like Simone Biles is/was last summer.  To see her sitting on the side, processing what just happened, being comforted...how does the camera bother her?  I'm glad that we were able to see it.  We've all come up short I'm sure in our own lives when expectations were great, and she is no different.  She is a star in the spotlight.  She knows that this comes with the territory.  

And she was really gracious to give an interview.  Clearly holding back tears.  Voice cracking.  Just heartbreaking.  

14 minutes ago, anniebird said:

I'm sure she's devastated but wouldn't she call less attention to herself if she just skied down the hill and left the area? I'm wondering if she's a distraction to the skiers who are still competing.

I don't think she cares about calling attention to herself.  She was numb and in shock at what happened.  If her sitting on the sidelines distracted the other racers coming down, the organizers would have told her to move.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, greyhorse said:

To each their own.  She's the biggest US star in these games.  We celebrate her wins just as much as we console her in her defeats.  She's human, just like Simone Biles is/was last summer.  To see her sitting on the side, processing what just happened, being comforted...how does the camera bother her?  I'm glad that we were able to see it.  We've all come up short I'm sure in our own lives when expectations were great, and she is no different.  She is a star in the spotlight.  She knows that this comes with the territory.  

And she was really gracious to give an interview.  Clearly holding back tears.  Voice cracking.  Just heartbreaking.  

I don't think she cares about calling attention to herself.  She was numb and in shock at what happened.  If her sitting on the sidelines distracted the other racers coming down, the organizers would have told her to move.

I don’t think the amount of time NBC spent broadcasting shots of Mikaela sitting in the snow, devastated, was necessary to tell the story. A couple of quick shots and then how about showing us the actual competition?  It was overkill which is why I felt it was invasive.  It added nothing to the story to have the camera dwell on her at that moment.  If she volunteered to speak to the reporter right after coming down, fine. But, based on her emotions during the interview, I would hope she was given the option and it was her choice at that moment.

• Love 15

26 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

I don’t think the amount of time NBC spent broadcasting shots of Mikaela sitting in the snow, devastated, was necessary to tell the story. A couple of quick shots and then how about showing us the actual competition?  It was overkill which is why I felt it was invasive.  It added nothing to the story to have the camera dwell on her at that moment.  If she volunteered to speak to the reporter right after coming down, fine. But, based on her emotions during the interview, I would hope she was given the option and it was her choice at that moment.

On twitter I saw reporters giving Shiffrin kudos for doing all the TV Spots and then spending 20 minutes in the mixed zone when she didn't have too. 

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 2

The way the announcers were talking about Shiffrin when she was DQ'd in the slalom, you'd think she'd flown off the course and been decapitated by a piece of rebar in front of the entire world. Like they just witnessed some sort of unfathomable tragedy and were leading all of us in mourning. She just missed a gate – that's a shame, but it's not the end of the world. She's still an Olympic gold medalist and has more chances for hardware during these Games, and we don't need to see her sitting on the sideline crying for twenty minutes when there are presumably other women racing. A little perspective please. I hate NBC.

It does seem like the shitty quality of the manmade snow has been messing with a number of skiers, though.

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

The way the announcers were talking about Shiffrin when she was DQ'd in the slalom, you'd think she'd flown off the course and been decapitated by a piece of rebar in front of the entire world. Like they just witnessed some sort of unfathomable tragedy and were leading all of us in mourning. She just missed a gate – that's a shame, but it's not the end of the world. She's still an Olympic gold medalist and has more chances for hardware during these Games, and we don't need to see her sitting on the sideline crying for twenty minutes when there are presumably other women racing. A little perspective please. I hate NBC.

It does seem like the shitty quality of the manmade snow has been messing with a number of skiers, though.

Haha!  I stayed up later than I intended (because I'm a sicko) because I heard mention of the tragedy of her leaving and expected it must have been a spectacular crash.

Reminds me of Mary Decker falling in the '84 Summer Olympics lo these many moons ago when NBC didn't show the end of the 3000m because they spent the rest of it showing Decker sobbing.

About the only good thing about NBC's Olympic coverage is that they spend slightly less time on sob stories now than they used to.

Edited by Leeds
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, anniebird said:

I'm sure she's devastated but wouldn't she call less attention to herself if she just skied down the hill and left the area? I'm wondering if she's a distraction to the skiers who are still competing.

I tuned in right after she crashed. I thought she was horrifically injured and waiting for medical attention, and couldn’t understand why no one was coming to help her. I thought she was out of the rest of her races because of it. Then I read headlines this morning that she’d just gone off course. I’m glad she’s okay, and it’s awful that she’s making mistakes at the worst time, but, like other people have to ski. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, absnow54 said:

I tuned in right after she crashed. I thought she was horrifically injured and waiting for medical attention, and couldn’t understand why no one was coming to help her. I thought she was out of the rest of her races because of it. Then I read headlines this morning that she’d just gone off course. I’m glad she’s okay, and it’s awful that she’s making mistakes at the worst time, but, like other people have to ski. 

She didn't even crash.  She just missed a gate.  Not the horrific tragedy that NBC tried to make it out.  An athlete with 3 Olympic medals missed out on more.  Big whoop.

Edited to note that I'm not criticizing Shiffrin herself, only the whole overwrought agonizing the press is doing.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

She didn't even crash.  She just missed a gate.  Not the horrific tragedy that NBC tried to make it out.  An athlete with 3 Olympic medals missed out on more.  Big whoop.

Edited to note that I'm not criticizing Shiffrin herself, only the whole overwrought agonizing the press is doing.

To be fair, Shiffrin did act as if it were a horrific tragedy so it's not all NBC overplaying it. 

• Love 6

Mikaela sounds like she's in a much better head space during the post race interview.  Great perspective.

I thought they said she wouldn't be doing any more press but I'm happy she decided to.

Very happy for my Olympics GF Lara Gut-Behrami in getting her first Olympic gold!

Edited by greyhorse
  • Love 3
On 2/9/2022 at 9:15 PM, roughing it said:

Gotta say, I’m not loving Ted Ligety’s commentary.

One thing that really struck me last night is that they NEVER. SHUT. UP.  Constant chatter which may be but usually is not about the person skiing at the moment.  They were trying to get any crumb of good news to say about Mikaela, lauding her excessively for even trying.  They are acting like she's come back from two broken legs and a coma.  I think Mikaela herself is acting fine in the situation, but the commentators are ridiculous.  

Edited by backgroundnoise
  • Love 4

I understand why NBC feels the need to follow Mikaela Shiffrin's every move, and I'm so glad that she was able to finish the race well and can look forward to the next one now. But man, that interview with her after her race was looooong and provided very little new information. I was like, "I get it. Yay Mikaela! Can we pleeeeease go back to the actual skiing now?" 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, backgroundnoise said:

One thing that really struck me last night is that they NEVER. SHUT. UP.  Constant chatter which may be but usually is not about the person skiing at the moment.  They were trying to get any crumb of good news to say about Mikaela, lauding her excessively for even trying.  They are acting like she's come back from two broken legs and a coma.  I think Mikaela herself is acting fine in the situation, but the commentators are ridiculous.  

I so much agree.  When I watch the Olympics I like to learn a little more about the sports and the athletes. When during every skier we were told how long before Mikaela skied it became too much.  She is a great talent.  I felt for her in her first two races and was happy to see her finish last night.  Also, it seems to be a great field of skiers.  She did well, especially given the discipline and the group.  I sincerely hope that she continues to do well throughout the Olympics and leaves feeling proud and strong.  

But dang, "Mikaela, Mikaela, Mikaela, Mikaela, Mikaela, Mikaela . . . ."  Are there other people skiing?  How are they doing?  

At some point we put so much pressure on a few athletes that we increase the already extreme pressure they feel to perform well. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Iseut said:

I understand why NBC feels the need to follow Mikaela Shiffrin's every move, and I'm so glad that she was able to finish the race well and can look forward to the next one now. But man, that interview with her after her race was looooong and provided very little new information. I was like, "I get it. Yay Mikaela! Can we pleeeeease go back to the actual skiing now?" 

Even Mikaela thought it was going on too long, because she said "I'm going to stop talking now."

4 hours ago, Iseut said:

Did they ever actually even show the end of the race?  I gave up during the endless interview.

3 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

Even Mikaela thought it was going on too long, because she said "I'm going to stop talking now."

To be fair, I don't think she was annoyed at the length of the interview - it's not like they were talking for ten minutes.  the interviewer asked a question, she responded, but then kept talking and started to ramble.  And that's when she jokingly said she was just going to stop talking.  Probably realized her thoughts were a little circuitous.

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Did they ever actually even show the end of the race?  I gave up during the endless interview.

They showed most of the racers until I believe it was the top of the hour.  In studio announcer said that they predicted Lara Gut to win the gold as the few remaining racers weren't likely to challenge given who they were.  But that if anything of course changed, they would update and cut back.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, greyhorse said:

To be fair, I don't think she was annoyed at the length of the interview - it's not like they were talking for ten minutes.  the interviewer asked a question, she responded, but then kept talking and started to ramble.  And that's when she jokingly said she was just going to stop talking.  Probably realized her thoughts were a little circuitous.

Oh, for sure. I should have said “Even Mikaela thought she was going on too long.” It was a cute moment.

Edited by tracyscott76
On 2/11/2022 at 7:30 PM, greyhorse said:

They showed most of the racers until I believe it was the top of the hour.  In studio announcer said that they predicted Lara Gut to win the gold as the few remaining racers weren't likely to challenge given who they were.  But that if anything of course changed, they would update and cut back.

God forbid they actually show the entire event.

• Love 2

At this point, what more is there to say about Mikaela?  I feel for her.  She made a comment that she's probably the biggest failure ever in the Olympics.  Got to think that it's all mental now.  Hope she's able to put this behind her and continue to dominate like she's done her whole career.

Ted Ligety pointed out that Bode Miller skied 5 events in Turin in 2006 and didn't medal at all.  I believe he didn't finish three of them.   And then came back in Vancouver to get a gold, silver, and bronze.  Hoping for a similar turn around for her in four years.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, greyhorse said:

At this point, what more is there to say about Mikaela?  I feel for her.  She made a comment that she's probably the biggest failure ever in the Olympics.  Got to think that it's all mental now.

Her dad died in February 2020 from a head injury after a bad fall.  Since this competition was right around what is probably a painful anniversary, it’s not hard to imagine that the grief could have gotten into her head in ways she might not have expected or been equipped to cope with, especially because she had to relive it multiple times for the human interest stories that NBC and other outlets have produced for the games.  It sounds like she, her parents and her brother have always been very close.  I feel bad for her.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, greyhorse said:

Ted Ligety pointed out that Bode Miller skied 5 events in Turin in 2006 and didn't medal at all.  I believe he didn't finish three of them.   And then came back in Vancouver to get a gold, silver, and bronze.  Hoping for a similar turn around for her in four years.

She already has a gold medal from Sochi and gold and silver medals from Pyeongchang.  While I'm sure she's very disappointed by her performance in Beijing, she really doesn't have anything she needs to prove at this point.  She should give herself a break on this one.  But I imagine it's hard, given all the pressure from the media.

• Love 9

It's almost as if Michaela can't control herself when she's giving interviews.  She just goes on and on and on.........

I can understand the interviewer not wanting to rudely interrupt her and say "thanks, Michaela," but she's just too much.  

• Love 1

I cannot believe the results of that bronze medal run in the mixed team parallel slalom. Norway had the faster course for three of the four runs. There was no way the US was going to beat them. In what universe is that even remotely fair? 😡

• Love 2

It was really confusing. The US had to win the last leg, by 0.4 seconds, but also under 23.62 seconds, and he came in at 24.04. I don’t get what the 0.4 second criteria was for if there was still an additional time he had to beat, and also how does a DNF not impact that criteria. 

• Love 2