Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Speculation without Spoilers

DEL901
  • Start Topic

With the show originally designed with a three season arc, I thought having a place to speculate might be nice.  

I’ll go first…I think season 3 ends with the team promoted and Ted returning to the states to be near his son.  

• Love 1

I will go out on a limb and make a prediction. I think that Ted will end up with Dr Sharon at the end of the series. Just as they plant small hints throughout about other major plot moves and shake-ups, I think there's enough real feeling between the two of them that they will end up having a personal relationship. You can all laugh at me at the end of season 3.

• Love 1
On 2/5/2022 at 2:06 AM, kwnyc said:

I will go out on a limb and make a prediction. I think that Ted will end up with Dr Sharon at the end of the series. Just as they plant small hints throughout about other major plot moves and shake-ups, I think there's enough real feeling between the two of them that they will end up having a personal relationship. You can all laugh at me at the end of season 3.

I think Ted is more likely to end up with Rebecca.  They are about the same age, they've both been through a painful divorce, they spend a lot of time together and like and respect each other.

I thought I read somewhere that Season 3 will air this summer?  I wasn't paying too much attention, but I could have sworn I saw a commercial last night with who I think was Hannah Waddingham sitting in some kind of chair and looking back at the camera and it had some kind of date in late February and then the Apple TV logo flashed up.  Maybe this is for some other show, or maybe it was another actress.

• Like 1

I saw that commercial, too. It definitely was Hannah Waddingham, and I thought it was a very brief teaser for season 3.

I also think Season 3 will end with Roy Kent as head coach of AFC Richmond.

• Like 1
  • Love 7
On 2/5/2022 at 3:06 AM, kwnyc said:

I will go out on a limb and make a prediction. I think that Ted will end up with Dr Sharon at the end of the series.

No therapist worth their salt would violate professional ethics like that with a patient. 

• Love 8
15 hours ago, blackwing said:

I think Ted is more likely to end up with Rebecca.  They are about the same age, they've both been through a painful divorce, they spend a lot of time together and like and respect each other.

I think people gaming out romantic endgames, be it with Dr. Sharon OR Rebecca, for Ted is frankly kind of depressing.  To me it totally misses the point of his character arc. Ted is very much a character meant to find himself, not someone else.  I'm not saying he's doomed to die alone or anything like that, but finding himself fully is his story here. The happy go lucky guy that didn't fully process all varieties of feelings in Season 1 certainly changed in Season 2, but he's got more to go. 

• Like 2
  • Love 16
3 hours ago, SnarkShark said:

I think people gaming out romantic endgames, be it with Dr. Sharon OR Rebecca, for Ted is frankly kind of depressing.  To me it totally misses the point of his character arc. Ted is very much a character meant to find himself, not someone else.  I'm not saying he's doomed to die alone or anything like that, but finding himself fully is his story here. The happy go lucky guy that didn't fully process all varieties of feelings in Season 1 certainly changed in Season 2, but he's got more to go. 

I agree with this. They could always do an ambiguous open ending where maybe he has a relationship with Rebecca maybe not. I love Sharon but will never be ok with a therapist/patient relationship. Nope. 

Other predictions:

Nate will ultimately do the right thing in a Vader-esque fashion. Not full redemption but he will have a reckoning. 

Roy and Keeley will be engaged/married. 

Whom ever is behind Bantr will be reviled and it’s not going to be good.

Roy will say fuck, 200 times

Jamie will say baybeh at least 3 times (Who says it better Moira Rose or Jamie Tartt?)

Beard will have a completely silent conversation. 

Colin will have a killer season. He’s a strong and capable man (He is not a piece of shit) 

Issac’s fits will be fly AF

Edited by Trillium
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 2/10/2022 at 3:35 PM, anna0852 said:

No therapist worth their salt would violate professional ethics like that with a patient. 

Yes, but a therapist worth their salt would terminate the therapy, try to hand the patient off to another therapist, and see if there is anything outside the therapist/patient relationship. 

• Love 3

I wish there would be a plot device that would bring Michelle and Henry over to London to live (like a new husband for her and a job transfer or something). My selfish heart hates for him to leave his new extended British family.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

At this point, the only satisfying conclusion would be Ted accomplishing what he sought to accomplish with Richmond FC and returning to the US to be with his son. Anything else would feel out of character. 

• Like 3
  • Love 6

I don't think that there is any doubt that the final episode will be Richmond v. West Ham for the championship. But there are many possible endings to the match. The most likely one is that Richmond wins on a penalty kick by Jamie, although it could be Sam or even Roy as a last minute sub after Jamie is injured by a cheating play sent in by Nate. But another possible ending would be Richmond losing because the team refused to take advantage of a bad call or they walked off the field because of racial slurs against Sam or other players of color, thus proving principles win over sports. Since the more modern approach to television is bleak endings, another possibility is that Richmond just is out played by West Ham, Rebecca loses the team because of financial issues and everyone goes off to other lives, but are better having known each other. And, of course, there is the  redemption ending, where Nate, wanting to come back to the light, deliberately calls a play he knows Ted and the Richmond players will counter to win the game. So many options!

• Love 3
On 2/11/2022 at 3:57 PM, kwnyc said:

Yes, but a therapist worth their salt would terminate the therapy, try to hand the patient off to another therapist, and see if there is anything outside the therapist/patient relationship. 

No they wouldn’t. There are lengths of time (years long) a therapist would have to wait prior to being able to date a former client. Everyone got up in arms about Rebecca and Sam saying because she was his boss, which to me is only problematic based upon the people involved, but they’re ok with an actual therapist whose job it is to create a safe space so the client can be vulnerable dating a client? 

I don’t care if Nate gets a redemption arc or not. I’d rather not have Ted be in a relationship by the end of the show, he’s still in love with his wife. Keeley and Roy are the only two I feel super strongly about how I want their story arc to go. Ted lasso has done a really good job of avoiding tropes so I’m going to trust they keep keeley and Roy together. In recent years it’s supposed to be this feel good tv message that a woman starts out kinda lost, finds herself, starts a business then because they’ve “grown too much” they can’t stay in their current healthy relationship. It’s dumb. A healthy relationship helps you grow, it doesn’t hold you down. A very recent example of this is Alexis and Ted in Schitts creek. I have to hope the writers will keep on subverting tropes and not break them up.

Edited by violetwaves
  • Love 5
54 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Do you think the passing of Queen Elizabeth will come up? Apparently a lot of football has had to be canceled. Or are they too far into production to change anything now?

All football in the UK has been cancelled for Friday & Saturday so far, along with most other sporting & entertainment events.

Not sure if they need to include anything going forward though.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
On 8/30/2022 at 6:56 AM, Good Queen Jane said:

I don't think that there is any doubt that the final episode will be Richmond v. West Ham for the championship. But there are many possible endings to the match. The most likely one is that Richmond wins on a penalty kick by Jamie, although it could be Sam or even Roy as a last minute sub after Jamie is injured by a cheating play sent in by Nate. But another possible ending would be Richmond losing because the team refused to take advantage of a bad call or they walked off the field because of racial slurs against Sam or other players of color, thus proving principles win over sports. Since the more modern approach to television is bleak endings, another possibility is that Richmond just is out played by West Ham, Rebecca loses the team because of financial issues and everyone goes off to other lives, but are better having known each other. And, of course, there is the  redemption ending, where Nate, wanting to come back to the light, deliberately calls a play he knows Ted and the Richmond players will counter to win the game. So many options!

I was thinking at one point that if there's no redemption arc that the team would be down and would decide to run the False 9 in the last 10 min which would totally screw with Nate's head.

I'd also like to see them win against Man City at some point.

• Love 4
On 2/5/2022 at 3:06 AM, kwnyc said:

On 2/10/2022 at 3:35 PM, anna0852 said:

Never, never, never. Ethics absolutely demands that a therapist NEVER pursue such a relationship. Full stop.

On 6/18/2022 at 1:33 PM, Quickbeam said:

I do need more of Trent Crimm, hair for days. We should all have such gorgeous hair. Nate needs to be humiliated in a grand way. 

YES! I vote for Trent Crimm, glorious hair, and Dani, joyous raven-haired golden retriever, as a great hair pair!!

Edited by LilJen
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

DEL90 , in the episode thread, mentioned how a suicidal Nate would break Ted.  Would it, though?  Could that be the conclusion to Ted and Nate’s character arcs?  We know Ted is haunted by his dad’s death.  What if he is able to help Nate?  Maybe that’s why Dr. Sharon is still a phone call away.   

I think that would be a sad way to redeem Nate, but who knows what the writers are thinking?  

• Like 1

Ted talking with Beard about why they're still here... Nate's inevitable fall from grace at West Ham... 

I'm thinking Ted goes back to the US, Nate comes back to Richmond to be part of the coaching squad.

Maybe?

45 minutes ago, Phebemarie said:

DEL90 , in the episode thread, mentioned how a suicidal Nate would break Ted.  Would it, though?  Could that be the conclusion to Ted and Nate’s character arcs?  We know Ted is haunted by his dad’s death.  What if he is able to help Nate?  Maybe that’s why Dr. Sharon is still a phone call away.   

I think that would be a sad way to redeem Nate, but who knows what the writers are thinking?  

Agree.  That would be a great healing moment for Ted…he could go home feeling a lot better about himself….and before he goes…maybe he can get past his obsessive need to be nice (so no one else does what his father did).

8 minutes ago, mledawn said:

Ted talking with Beard about why they're still here... Nate's inevitable fall from grace at West Ham... 

I'm thinking Ted goes back to the US, Nate comes back to Richmond to be part of the coaching squad.

Maybe?

I think Nate will have to forge his own path…too much history to return to Richmond, but maybe he can move on. 

• Like 2

Some speculations for the end of the show after seeing 3.1:

1. Is there anything illegal Nate has done or is likely to do? Maybe kill Rupert? 
    Just thinking Nate winding up in prison would be arguably less difficult for Ted than Nate committing suicide. 

2. Or, more in keeping with the previous 2 seasons:
    Jamie Tartt went from being a total bleepin' bleep to being a cheerleader who hugs. 
    So maybe Nate can turn around too if Ted and Roy give him the Forgiving Father routine?

3. Ted and Trent Crimm team up to do a podcast, which can be produced on either side of The Pond. 
    ETA: 
    Thinking about 3.1's Chekhovian Lego Nate that Ted's son told him was a friend, causing Ted to move Lego Nate next to the Lego team: Perhaps Reformed Nate would join them too, using his wit for good.
    EATA:
    Keeley joins the podcast too. Rebecca can be an occasional guest.

4. Picture fades to credits as Ted does agree to go on a date with someone new (because not Rebecca's sister/Sassy?), but no Disney-esque Cinderella blue birds and mice are preparing wedding clothes.

Edited by shapeshifter

Predictions, post s03e01:

The Roy and Keeley breakup won't last long.  A few episodes. Unless this writer's room has totally lost their touch, up until now it's tried to not bow to cliches.  Roy and Keeley breaking up did seem to fill one, but it could just be a setup to defy the boatload of cliches that normally follow that.

The team will do well in the first half of the season. Why?  Because the writers want us to at least THINK them winning the whole thing is possible.  They might play with them losing the first game maybe, but they can't push a "they're tanking it" narrative for long.  Mid-season, with them doing well in the league is a better time to play with them losing their edge.

West Ham needs to do well, with problems there simmering more than exploding, until somewhat later on.  

They won't be able to resist a redemption arc for Nate, but I seriously doubt it will end with him coming back to Richmond.  A less cliched redemption would be him actually earning the spot at West Ham, while Rupert somehow gets the shaft and has to sell the team.  This could even be with West Ham winning the League, and Richmond's triumph just being this nothing team unbelievably placing second rather than 20th.  I'm not actually predicting that, I'm just using it as an example of them "fixing" Nate without the biggest possible cliche of him coming back to the team.  He has to apologize to Ted.  Apologies are a central tenet of the show.  He probably has to be publicly humiliated as part of his plot.  How he comes back from that is the source of the end of his series storyarc.

Ted definitely leaves the team, and the UK for good at the end of Season 3. I think it's patently obvious this is going to happen.  Since I'm projecting Nate won't return, Roy being appointed as Head Coach would be the way forward.  I think the only twist might be Beard staying rather than leaving with Ted.

Jamie's arc I can't predict.  They won't want to diminish Isaac's character by making Jamie magically become the team leader, but maybe they'll imply it will happen whenever Isaac (not a young player) moves on.  Still, this all sounds boring.  It would be super-lame to put Jamie back with Keeley, but they DO need something to do with him.  

Sam and Rebecca will reoccur, but I think the writers will have sensed this is problematic enough to not have it stick.  I have trouble envisioning good plots for Rebecca this season, actually.  They may actually have to go cliche and do the "wants to be a mother" thing.  They've hinted at this more than enough with her already.

I have this weird feeling they may try to give Danny an actual storyarc this season, beyond playing issues.  

• Like 3

1. Roy and Keeley are at least engaged, but hopefully we see the wedding. Roy saying vows would be fucking epic. Also I say Jamie is the the best man. 

2. Nate will eventually be forgiven but he’s going to have to go through a lot of pain before that. But I don’t think he comes back to Richmond. Some things cannot be undone. 

3. Colin scores an epic goal against West Ham and rubs it Nate’s face. 

4. Rebecca…that’s harder. I don’t want her with Sam or Ted. It wouldn’t be the worst if that’s the way they go but eh. I do think she finally is able to not let Rupert get to her. He’s a piece of shit, but it’s easier said than done. 

5. Ted learns to believe in himself  I don’t think he does yet. I do think he heads back to the US but will find another team to coach. Or become a consultant of some kind.

6. They win the whole fucking thing. 

Edited by Trillium
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1

I think for Nate, redemption might just mean acknowledging he is the problem and him starting therapy with the Doc.  Sure, he had an emotionally distant father he has never been able to please, but he is old enough to no longer require his father’s validation…or that of his surrogate fathers Ted and now Rupert.  

He is so emotionally stunted…his jealousy of Roy when he became a coach, his quickness to take credit and his avoidance of blame (how freaked when Ted kept calling it Nate’s play).  Even now with his dum dum line…he doesn’t understand these players will be the foundation of any success the team has, not his “strategy “, which while important, won’t achieve much if the players hearts aren’t in it.  Look at how Ted dealt with a lacklustre practice vs Nate.  He chose humiliation while Ted chose motivation.

Even the way he looked at Rupert before he started spewing insults… he wants Rupert, his new surrogate father’s approval so bad.   It is going to be a hard fall when Rupert eventually turns on him.  I still lean towards Nate doing something drastic, Ted saving him…then Nate either commits to doing the work with a shrink he needs, or maybe he moves to America with Ted for a fresh start, since he won’t be hireable in the British soccer world.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

One thing I noticed about Keely's new staff, including the CFO, is that they struck me as soulless, humo(u)rless, slightly less well-dressed clones of the West Ham assistant.  If Rupert is the puppet master, he won't find Keely as easy to manipulate as Nate.  Rupert doesn't understand loyalty, only self-interest.  She won't knowingly allow her business to destroy Ted, Rebecca, and West Ham.  

I can't help but wonder if he'll attempt to seduce Keely romantically as well, which might be one show related reason she and Roy are on a break/breaking up.  She'd never cheat on Roy.  Rupert surely sees her as a bimbo he could easily ensnare with a bottle of Cristal and something sparkly, and won't understand that she would likewise never betray Rebecca.  

• Like 1
On 3/16/2023 at 5:16 PM, Trillium said:

5. Ted learns to believe in himself  I don’t think he does yet. I do think he heads back to the US but will find another team to coach. Or become a consultant of some kind.

What I know about soccer/football could fit in Henry's Lego cup, but I've been trying to figure out how this can happen without the cliche of them being number one or winning it all. I don't know what the FA Cup is, but if it's different to the league championship I don't think they'll win that either. All the anvils about Richmond being underdogs predicted last place and Ted needing to want to win, together with his relationship with Dr. Sharon obviously thriving is making me hope that Ted will finally get that boost of confidence and be open about wanting to win and trying to win, but that maybe the team will finish somewhere in the middle of the table, and have that still be enough. Have Ted know that he's still enough. Hopefully they'll kick West Ham and/or Man City's asses once or twice along the way though.

1 hour ago, Lois Sandborne said:

What I know about soccer/football could fit in Henry's Lego cup, but I've been trying to figure out how this can happen without the cliche of them being number one or winning it all. I don't know what the FA Cup is, but if it's different to the league championship I don't think they'll win that either. All the anvils about Richmond being underdogs predicted last place and Ted needing to want to win, together with his relationship with Dr. Sharon obviously thriving is making me hope that Ted will finally get that boost of confidence and be open about wanting to win and trying to win, but that maybe the team will finish somewhere in the middle of the table, and have that still be enough. Have Ted know that he's still enough. Hopefully they'll kick West Ham and/or Man City's asses once or twice along the way though.

Very different to the league, it's a knockout cup played among every team that belongs to the Football Association with lower regional league teams playing first followed by non league teams and then the first round proper starts with division 2 & 3 teams joining in and from the third round the Premier league & championship clubs join in. As the drawings for each round are totally random and a total of 732 teams play by the time all leagues are in it you could feasibly end up with the team ranked 732nd playing a team ranked 1st in the final. Although this has never happened lower ranked teams have very often played & beaten the highest ranked teams in rounds 3 onward including the final. 

So with Richmond being a Premier league team and favorable draws there is no reason they couldn't get to the final & win it as even lower league teams have won it in the past. Each round is 1 game (plus any replays for draws) including the final (usually played at Wembley) with none of this best of 3,5,7 or however many there are in some finals.

• Useful 1

Here are some of my guesses:

The team does well.  It doesn’t have to win the whole thing, but it does really well.  Ted wins coach of the year and Rebecca wins owner of the year (if they have those types of awards).  Ted goes back to the US, leaving Roy as head coach with Beard remaining in the UK as his #2. 

I wouldn’t mind if Bex gets West Ham in her inevitable split with Rupert.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

I wouldn’t mind if Bex gets West Ham in her inevitable split with Rupert.

Oh man, this hadn't even crossed my mind, but now this is literally the only resolution to Rupert's storyline that I will accept. West Ham can even win it all, but I *need* Rupert to get screwed again with his team.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
12 minutes ago, Night Cheese said:

Oh man, this hadn't even crossed my mind, but now this is literally the only resolution to Rupert's storyline that I will accept. West Ham can even win it all, but I *need* Rupert to get screwed again with his team.

You cannot own 2 teams so no chance.

2 hours ago, Night Cheese said:

Thank you, yes I was referring to Bex/New Rebecca and I assumed the poster I quoted was too.

But didn't Rupert give his minority shares in Richmond to New Rebecca/Bex (we find this out in the season one episode where Ted plays darts?)? That paved his way to buy West Ham. So unless that didn't happen the way I remember (totally possible!), Bex would have to give up her shares in Richmond and Rupert would have to allow her to buy in West Ham. I don't see him allowing that to happen again. He's evil, but he's not dumb.

Rupert convinced Bex to buy the Milk sisters’ shares so that he could sit in the owner’s box.  (Bex made the comment that she thought she would pay off her student loans first, but Rupert convinced her otherwise.).  He wasn’t allowed to do so after Ted won at darts.  Bex and he then gave those shares to Rebecca after her father’s death, saying the birth of their daughter left them no time for football.  He then bought West Ham.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

I think Zava will be unmanageable, quit at a key point (maybe even abscond to Rupert’s team) and the team will have to dig deep and win it themselves.  

I'd quite like it if they went this way. For those who don't know, the way transfers work in the Premier League is that there are two 'windows' where you can sell and sign players - the summer window and the January window, and January is when you can sometimes get a shock transfer or two, when teams realise they need reinforcements to finish the season strong or a player decides he wants out. (My team once lost our star player to Chelsea in January. Still a painful memory.) If they can't get Zava and his ego to gel with the team I could see him putting in a transfer request and signing for West Ham or maybe even Man City in January, leaving Richmond scrambling. (There was a match against City in the trailer for this season, so I'm assuming they're still going to play a bit of a nemesis part, too.)

• Useful 1

Episode 3.2 (Chelsea) pretty much convinced me that I've been wrong in thinking that Rupert is responsible for Keeley's new company.  For one thing, Shandy made such a big deal about Keeley making it on her own.  It would be devastating to Keeley if she found out her big chance had nothing to do with her hard work and her talent.  

Second, and to a lesser extent, Keeley has started winning over her new employees, using a combination of her own experiences** and the things she's learned through her association with Ted and Rebecca.  I just have a feeling we're going to see a feel-good (this is Ted Lasso, after all) success story.  

I hope so at least. 

• Like 4

I think Nate will have a panic attack at some point. There are some potential direction it could go on. Either it's super public and causes him to be utterly shamed or he's able to hide it but the fear of another causes him to seek psychological help to prevent it. Anyway I think it will be the start of a turning point for him.

• Like 2