Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Smoky Mountain Meltdown

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

No future social or other media is allowed in episode threads.  Only discuss what was known at time of filming. 

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

So I guess Tammy would have been in high school in that photo.  I can only imagine the teasing she received at school, not only about her weight, but the forehead bump as well.  For some reason, I had thought the bump came later in life.

This is why I have some sympathy for her. She must have had terrible teasing throughout her life and that does a lot of damage. I think there was something medical happening and not just overeating.  She would have to want help and get some therapy to stop the downward spiral she's in.

• Love 8
51 minutes ago, magemaud said:

To me, Tammy’s face looked exactly the same twenty years ago as it does now. 

Someone had made the good point that Chris, Misty, and Amanda did not get the teasing in their early years. I think Amy did so she can commiserate with Tammy. Yes, they all gained weight but they didn't get as much nastiness. I think that is why they are so accommodating with her temper tantrums because they know what she went through.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

For all Tammy’s talk about sex I wouldn’t be surprised if she is a virgin.

I'm going to try to say this delicately. How would a man be able to get close enough to complete the necessary steps for her virginity to be gone? They would need the "Gene Simmons' tongue" of penises to do it.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, GaT said:

13 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

For all Tammy’s talk about sex I wouldn’t be surprised if she is a virgin.

I'm going to try to say this delicately. How would a man be able to get close enough to complete the necessary steps for her virginity to be gone? They would need the "Gene Simmons' tongue" of penises to do it

I wondered about this, too. I recall Whitney talking about sexual “logistics” and I would imagine her lady bits would be much more accessible than Tammy’s. Apparently there ARE ways to do the deed if the participants are really creative, but I don’t want to think about it too much. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, GaT said:

I'm going to try to say this delicately. How would a man be able to get close enough to complete the necessary steps for her virginity to be gone? They would need the "Gene Simmons' tongue" of penises to do it.

Oh Gawd, my brain started imagining positions. She’s likely sexually active in some way or the other and I’m leaving it at that before images hit my brain. 

• LOL 5

Bored and dealing with winter weather,  so rewatching S1. Tammy was more likeable and a sympathetic character back then. Plus more mobile. I had forgotten that Tammy actually lived in the same side of the duplex! She's a tragic person, but since she is so childish in her communication and interpersonal skills, she's incredibly hard to like. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Tammy12 said:

Where are people finding the supersized episode?

They're usually on TLC a few days after the regular episode airs--I think it's about 10 days after, like the Thursday of the week after the regular episode.  Maybe they're on Discovery Plus as well--I don't know since I don't get Discovery Plus.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I just had a thought:  Maybe Tammy didn't want the motorized wheelchair because the seat was too small for her.  When I first saw it, I thought no way can Tammy fit in it.  It looked narrower than her regular wheelchair.  But somehow, she stuffed herself in it.  It looks like a very tight squeeze. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

I just had a thought:  Maybe Tammy didn't want the motorized wheelchair because the seat was too small for her.  When I first saw it, I thought no way can Tammy fit in it.  It looked narrower than her regular wheelchair.  But somehow, she stuffed herself in it.  It looks like a very tight squeeze. 

That's a possibility for sure. Also possible that Tammy wants to be pushed around manually. If she can get around more easily, the family may feel like they don't need to visit so much. Tammy is terrified to be alone. Take away her phone and other electronics, she doesn't last a day.

• Love 9
On 1/14/2022 at 10:55 PM, GaT said:

I'm going to try to say this delicately. How would a man be able to get close enough to complete the necessary steps for her virginity to be gone? 

Also known as a 14 inch personality. But you're right. There is no way possible for a man to have sex with Tammy. It's got to be BJ's only. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:
8 hours ago, Tammy12 said:

Where are people finding the supersized episode?

They're usually on TLC a few days after the regular episode airs-

I record, and the bonus scenes are labelled, so you can fast forward and see it easily.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

I record, and the bonus scenes are labelled, so you can fast forward and see it easily.

That's my strategy also for all of these "Supersized", "More to Love", "Never Before Scene" versions of episodes.  I watch a lot of crap tv and definitely don't have time to watch complete shows twice!!

• Love 5
On 1/15/2022 at 5:39 AM, Ria said:

Oh Gawd, my brain started imagining positions. She’s likely sexually active in some way or the other and I’m leaving it at that before images hit my brain. 

Just because this line of conversation brought it all back to me:

Go back and see the episode where Tammy is exercising in the pool.  This is one scene where she is floating holding on to the side of the pool and her legs are spread apart.  Now take that scene and put it in a bedroom or wherever you want to picture Tammy having sex.

Instead of bleaching my eyes out, I'm going to drink until that scene doesn't matter any more....

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, TazDevil said:

That's my strategy also for all of these "Supersized", "More to Love", "Never Before Scene" versions of episodes.  I watch a lot of crap tv and definitely don't have time to watch complete shows twice!!

We trash watchers don't have time on old trash, when there's always new trash, do we?
Although my DVR does have every episode of Dr. Pimple Popper and Dr. Mercy, and Dr. Emma.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I was glad Chris got to go on the ride.   

I was appalled at the Monster Burger lunch, that was enough food for days, and so much wasn't on Amy's meal plan.      

I was so happy for Amy. She lost weight, had Gage, and now seems to be gaining all of the weight back.

I get that she wanted to go to Monster Burger, but she seemed so thrilled to do as she said "dip cheese in cheese." I looked at the menu, and even the children's menu was mostly fat.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, nokat said:

I was so happy for Amy. She lost weight, had Gage, and now seems to be gaining all of the weight back.

I get that she wanted to go to Monster Burger, but she seemed so thrilled to do as she said "dip cheese in cheese." I looked at the menu, and even the children's menu was mostly fat.

I really think Amy just wanted to lose enough weight to get pregnant. I wasn’t expecting her to get to a BMI under 25 or anything, but if she had not become pregnant for two years like the doctors suggested, she could’ve ended up near 200lbs. I was proud of her for not gaining too much weight with Gage, but he’s about 6 months looking at him and she isn’t making any progress!

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I really think Amy just wanted to lose enough weight to get pregnant. I wasn’t expecting her to get to a BMI under 25 or anything, but if she had not become pregnant for two years like the doctors suggested, she could’ve ended up near 200lbs. I was proud of her for not gaining too much weight worth Gage, but he’s about 6 months looking at him and she isn’t making any progress!

It’s too bad she doesn’t want to lose weight for Gage. Besides impacting her own health and ability to be an active mom for years to come, just what is likely going to happen to Gage growing up in a family with such horrendous eating habits? The whole family has been obese since childhood. Care enough to break the pattern. 

• Love 14

If any of you think that scene at the beginning at the restaurant is not real, trust me it is. I grew up with that behavior in exactly the same circumstances. Every family gathering was an opportunity to ruin any happiness that could be found in it.  

After the Queen made everybody miserable, she was as happy as a clam.  What I don’t understand is why , when the Queen announced she’s not going back with them, the two men immediately accommodated to take her back to the hotel. Let her find her own way back to the hotel. Call a cab.

I find it interesting that the toddler was not the one acting like a toddler.

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
14 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I really think Amy just wanted to lose enough weight to get pregnant.

but wasn't she supposedly on heavy duty contraceptives and got pregnant anyway? Of course, I wouldn't put it past her to "forget" to use/take it. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Rebky said:

Chris had to move to be seen behind Tammy in that family photo. Why was he put behind her in the first place? 

I noticed that too.He was leaning to be seen. She was huge even as a teen.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Kid said:

What I don’t understand is why , when the Queen announced she’s not going back with them, the two men immediately accommodated to take her back to the hotel. Let her find her own way back to the hotel. Call a cab.

Can you imagine an unsuspecting cabbie pullling up, and finding Tammy!

• LOL 5
17 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Can you imagine an unsuspecting cabbie pullling up, and finding Tammy!

If she is able to climb in, then the car leans to one side. I'd worry about when I last inflated the tires.

• Love 5
On 1/15/2022 at 1:55 AM, GaT said:

Or maybe all that matters is the "Gene Simmons tongue"...

I laughed every time one of the Slatons commented on how they wished Tammy was with them at the amusement park.

Yeah, no.

Tammy would have been a sullen, miserable drag on their good time.

And no one could have missed how much time the siblings were having without her. They were laughing and joking, and no one was screaming or swearing.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
On 1/14/2022 at 8:38 PM, nokat said:

This is why I have some sympathy for her. She must have had terrible teasing throughout her life and that does a lot of damage. I think there was something medical happening and not just overeating.  She would have to want help and get some therapy to stop the downward spiral she's in.

Yes, when I look at that teen photo of her -- that's not a fat kid. That's a kid with some major eating/metabolism disorder far and above the siblings' obesity. Makes me think of those documentaries about the very young kids who are literally NEVER full, always feel starving, and their families have to lock up the pantries and fridge and any source of food because they will just eat non-stop until they run out of food or are prevented from eating further. There's literally no "off" switch, just 24/7 ravenous hunger. 

They grew up terribly poor, so I don't know how much extra food they had around the house. My grandmother grew up super poor and ate fried dough many times a week (I never see it at the fair without recognizing that it was survival food for my family at one point).  I'm thinking Tammy was eating loaves of sugar-on-white-bread sandwiches or the like and washing it down with liters of generic soda - she could not possibly get that heavy on mere extra helpings, and how much money was there for treats outside of meals? 

On 1/17/2022 at 11:44 AM, Kid said:

After the Queen made everybody miserable, she was as happy as a clam.  What I don’t understand is why , when the Queen announced she’s not going back with them, the two men immediately accommodated to take her back to the hotel. Let her find her own way back to the hotel. Call a cab.

Amy could teach them all that weird two finger salute "Byeeeeeee!"

Re: bathing/incontinence, my mom wears the disposable underwear and she's perfectly able to immediately move to the restroom, change, clean as needed, etc. Even so, if she's using the underpants instead of the pads, from time to time her skin reacts. Now she's 85, not 35, but she's immaculately clean and able to reach everywhere. There's no way Tammy is going without bathing for extended periods without having skin breakdown (remember the 600 lber whose hygiene and that of her mother were so bad Dr. Now actually admitted her?) Just fold sweat alone would cause a gross buildup, especially if added to talcum powder which appears popular in this demographic. 

And frankly, I don't think this family would fail to mention it if she smelled. 

I don't know HOW she's doing it, but she's getting cleaned. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, kassa said:

Yes, when I look at that teen photo of her -- that's not a fat kid. That's a kid with some major eating/metabolism disorder far and above the siblings' obesity. Makes me think of those documentaries about the very young kids who are literally NEVER full, always feel starving, and their families have to lock up the pantries and fridge and any source of food because they will just eat non-stop until they run out of food or are prevented from eating further. There's literally no "off" switch, just 24/7 ravenous hunger. 

They grew up terribly poor, so I don't know how much extra food they had around the house. My grandmother grew up super poor and ate fried dough many times a week (I never see it at the fair without recognizing that it was survival food for my family at one point).

I saw those documentaries.  I've wondered if that's the case with the severely overweight. I definitely have an "off" switch.

My dad grew up poor, and he would eat  saltines and graham crackers with milk. You learn to make do.

• Love 4

I don't blame Tammy for wanting to "just have fun" or "just be happy" as she says.

She probably never has before in her whole life.  Who doesn't, and why not?

There's no way in he// she's ever going to reach goal weight, so let her enjoy life...

I see "1000 Pound Best Friends" or something is next up on the TLC schedule.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

I don't blame Tammy for wanting to "just have fun" or "just be happy" as she says.

I had the drinking and dancing in college. She didn't get to experience that.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, nokat said:

I had the drinking and dancing in college. She didn't get to experience that.

Plenty of people don’t. I come from a blue collar immigrant town where people get jobs in high school and work to support themselves and their families until they retire, where people tend to marry young and work hard to support families. There’s not lots of drinking and partying even for those of us lucky enough to go to college. Tammy has no responsibilities, not even for her own care. She doesn’t seem to have goals or plans for her future. Others have pointed out she could work from home as millions do these days but I can’t imagine she is mentally or emotionally capable of a job. I wouldn’t be surprised if Amy or Chris has make sure her bills are paid each month. She’s not trying to lose weight to become independent and gain mobility. She doesn’t appear to have real friends and is toxic to her family. My guess is she doesn’t know what else to do with herself so partying has become her answer. She wouldn’t be the first person with no hope to turn to drinking and drugs and false friends. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Ria said:

Plenty of people don’t. I come from a blue collar immigrant town where people get jobs in high school and work to support themselves and their families until they retire

I was from blue collar too. I worked on the family farm from a very young age. I didn't mean to be flippant about college. There were some lean years.

• Love 3

Someone on Reddit said that at the start of the scene where they're trying to coax Tammy out of the van and Chris's wife was holding Gage, two people were smoking right next to Gage.  IIRC, they said one was Michael--I don't remember the other.  I deleted this episode so I can't go back and check.  Did anyone notice this?  I would have hoped that even if family members smoke, they would avoid doing it around Gage. 

ETA:  Tonight's supersized episode of the Moving On Up episode showed a small portion of that scene (with Chris's wife holding Gage) and I don't see any cigarettes.

Edited by Gemma Violet