Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E10: Week 10

JenE4
  • Start Topic

I thought the tweets were mean. I never am invested in the lead but I watch the show for the laughs and the occasional feel-good happy ending (missed that tonight as I didn't feel Michelle and Nayte). I'm more grossed out by the idea of Jesse Palmer hosting than I am about Clayton, who is nothing more than a big goober. 

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, JenE4 said:

A down payment on a house?!? Even the show is rooting for them. I guess they’re saving a lot of money without Harrison’s paycheck…or almost a bribe to keep them together longer—harder to break-up when there’s a mortgage involved. 

So is that an unusual thing for this show?

They do look extremely happy.  I’m rooting for my fellow Minnesotan and True Love. ❤️

• Love 6
52 minutes ago, SallyAlbright said:

That segment with Clayton reading the "mean tweets" as Kaitlyn cackled really did not feel funny to me. He seems like a nice guy, it's not his fault he was picked. There's also nothing wrong with the way he looks, what the hell?! 

I disagree with your last opinion.

I am of the opinion that Clayton has a most unfortunate  hair-don't. Pick your poison, Clayton: curly or close-cut.  

As for being "picked"? It's not like a military draft; one can refuse to enter the "Bachelor" fray! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I don't understand the impetus for the $200k gift. The standard gift so far, if the couple was still engaged by the time ATFR filmed, was an all expenses paid trip to the place where they got engaged, and the value of that is a small fraction of $200k. So why such a huge gift this time? Were the ratings extraordinarily high? Or is it because Michelle is, and plans to remain, a public school teacher?

The "wrong reasons" part of my brain is wondering whether they'll have to give the money back if they split before two years, just like the Neil Lane ring. And how does that work with taxes? If they receive the money and the ring in 2021, pay taxes on it, then break up in 2022, they wouldn't be able to claim the taxes back, right? (It's always the nerdy financial/practical stuff that interests me more than the "love story.")

I liked Kaitlyn on her own more than I'd expected. Perhaps it would be better for her and Tayshia to alternate hosting duties each season than to have them double-host. There's not that much work for the host(s) to do anyway.

Finally, the Clayton segment was useless and the "mean tweets" not even worth mentioning. Twitter is a mean place. I'm sure there are tweets just like that, or worse, about every lead and contestant. Most of those people sell their souls to social media, so they have to take the bad with the good.

• Love 12

Perhaps the gift was because the travel budget was so low this year compared to previous seasons (and they seem like an actual couple that might have a shot at staying together)?

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Right, the tax implications of that gift was the first thing I thought of.

People have gone broke after "winning" huge sums of money on game shows.

I'd be willing to bet there are contract strings at work here, to keep the "happy couple" together.

ABC had to have known about Nayte's plans to move to Minnesota before the show to have given such a gift, so the part of my heart that is cold feels this was all planned.

Such a "surprise", opening the top of a gingerbread house, with a huge check for the couple's house.  

I mean, most couples who live far from each other, date for a while, and on AFTR, they say they'll travel back & forth for a while, and see where life takes them.  Nayte just happens to be all in on moving to Minnesota, and doing what with his job?  Remote?  

And there just "happened" to be a huge check for his move?  Riiiight.

Edited by Starlight925
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, Scout Finch said:

Do we know for sure it was $200,000?

US magazine has reported it as $200,000   

1 hour ago, phlebas said:

Do his parents still live in Winnipeg? Maybe being closer to them is also part of the appeal.

He said they did and Minnesota would only be a1 hour flight or 7 hour drive.  

• Love 4
12 hours ago, dizzyd said:

I for one like the feminine perspective as the bachelorette host. 

I agree...but not Kaitlyn.  Maybe it's too much baggage...or cosmetic surgery. 

Additionally, I'd prefer a new/classy stylist for ALL the women.  No dresses should be selected that cause the women concern over whether their underwear (aka panties) is camera-ready.  The cut of Kaitlyn's shiny dress (lower front) was worrisome.  

• Love 6
10 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I disagree with your last opinion.

I am of the opinion that Clayton has a most unfortunate  hair-don't. Pick your poison, Clayton: curly or close-cut.  

As for being "picked"? It's not like a military draft; one can refuse to enter the "Bachelor" fray! 

Okay but even if you don't like his hair, the show and those tweets were acting like he's some hideous deformed creature. Seemed weirdly mean spirited and I doubt they'd do that to a female Bachelorette. 

Clayton isn't my personal type at all, but he's not some scary looking freak. That whole thing seemed so mean.

Not sure what's wrong with the word "picked," I just mean he was chosen by the producers to be the next lead. Of course he could have turned it down, but why should he, just because people on Twitter are cruel? 

• Love 21
14 hours ago, DEL901 said:

I saw that too.   Maybe she thought Brandon was over the top considering how long they have know each other.  Sheesh, he told Neil Lane he fell in love at first sight.  

I like the idea that she might secretly have found it funny, but I also think she likes hearing him lavish love on her.

14 hours ago, phlebas said:

Kaitlyn is doing well. I think tayshia is more polished but Kaitlyn is funnier

She was warmer too and more likeable and authentic than I've ever seen her.  I give her an A for her performance last night.

• Love 7

This was a good season (finally!) and a fun ATFR.  How sweet are Michelle's and Nayte's families?  My brain kept popping out memories of Peter and Batshit Barb in comparison.

I've had a hard time seeing what Michelle saw in Nayte and their final date solidified that for me.  Nayte seemed to be barely able to hold a conversation and I didn't see how Michelle could think that he finally gave her what she was looking for.  He seemed like a totally different person last night!  Either Michelle taught him some communication skills or he was really intimidated by the cameras.  They are a beautiful couple and genuinely seem happy.  I'm rooting for them!

I don't get the pick of Clayton as the Bachelor, either, and I'm tired of the stereotyped scenes of a ridiculously beefy dude in the shower.  But he clearly has a good personality and doesn't deserve all the hate.  I don't know if I'll be watching him or just reading here, but it's mostly because of the previews and all the hysteria.  Can't stand that anymore and it's why I prefer the Bachelorette!

And Katelyn rocked it!  She deserves a lot of credit for going solo for the first time on live TV!

• Love 14
13 minutes ago, Recyclorette said:

I'm tired of the stereotyped scenes of a ridiculously beefy dude in the shower. 

I think this will be a good memory for Clayton.  He looks like he tends toward "beefiness."  I don't know if he can remain a "celebrity" long enough for us to find out.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Recyclorette said:

She deserves a lot of credit for going solo for the first time on live TV!

First time on live TV? Is this correct?

We used to read that she was "a Canadian television personality."  Anyone know that history?

• Useful 1
22 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

We used to read that she was "a Canadian television personality."  Anyone know that history?

More like she is a television personality who happens to be Canadian. Never heard of her being in anything up here.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
33 minutes ago, deSchenke said:

Our house doesn't have cable, so I always rely on Hulu the day after airing to watch. But seems they don't have episode 10 loaded yet. Anyone else having problems?

I don’t see it on Hulu yet either . That is unusual.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

3 hours ago, lizajane said:

More like she is a television personality who happens to be Canadian. Never heard of her being in anything up here.

Yup.  Never saw her or heard about her having any jobs on tv before appearing on the Bachelor.    

Edited by DEL901
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I always thought that Michelle seemed most into Nayte, and they do seem really happy together. My big question about Nayte was whether or not he was mature enough for Michelle or if he was ready to get married, but he seemed pretty thrilled about being with Michelle during the ending. I don't know it will work out, Bachelor engagements are a tendency to not make it to the finish line, but I do hope things work out. Michelle really does seem like a nice person who really came here hoping to find someone. 

Giving them the down payment on the house felt weird, that's not something they normally give the new couples right? I guess Michelle plans on staying a teacher and not a social media personality?

I don't really get why they choose Clayton as the next Bachelor, he seems like a nice enough guy but he didn't really stand out that much this season, but I thought a lot of those tweets were really mean spirited. I know that this is just the way the game is played, when you sign up to be the public eye you know that you could get pushback from random idiots online, but that doesn't mean I have to like it or the show has to lean into it so much. Plus, I always think making fun of peoples looks is tacky. 

I thought this season was actually pretty good, the drama was relatively minimal and Michelle stayed likable throughout, which can be tough for any Bachelor/ette. I'm exhausted just watching the preview for next season though. 

• Love 13
4 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

ABC had to have known about Nayte's plans to move to Minnesota before the show to have given such a gift, so the part of my heart that is cold feels this was all planned.

[...]

I mean, most couples who live far from each other, date for a while, and on AFTR, they say they'll travel back & forth for a while, and see where life takes them.  Nayte just happens to be all in on moving to Minnesota, and doing what with his job?  Remote?  

Based on his LinkedIn profile, he left his previous job as an account executive at Indeed in July (when the show started filming), and just started a new one this month at a company called DISCO (which apparently uses AI for legal document discovery, so not as fun as the name makes it sound). His location, as well as the location of the new job, is still listed as Austin, but that doesn't have to mean anything since a job like his can be done remotely.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Useful 2
17 hours ago, Michichick said:
18 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

What's with MIchelle's scary eyebrows?  She would look so much better with less makeup.

I was wondering about that, as well. This is the only episode I’ve watched this season and all I keep thinking is that her brows are so severe that they make her seem unattractive. Do her brows always look like that?

Just watched Michelle/Nayte* on Good Morning America.  Her EYEBROWS look So Much Better!  Watching her "live" and then clips from her show are surprising.  She almost looks CRUEL when compared to her more natural brows.

*Is "Nayte" his real name...or it's Nathaniel and he started the fancy spelling in junior high?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I'd bet money that Clayton was chosen to be the next Bachelor before filming even started.

That whole scene with the little kids, with him building a fort, was so set up.

He does seem like a nice guy, but I have a feeling we'll be seeing him in the future, a la Jesse Palmer.  Ex football player turned media host.  Yawn.

• Love 3

I caught a few minutes of the show last night. The few minutes of the twitters about Clayton. How unbelievably cruel of the show to do that to him, live, on camera in front of the whole world before he even starts his season. I was waiting for at least one favorable tweet, but they withheld even that. What a sick bunch of cruds who did that to him. 

We, on this forum, may write about our lack of attraction/interest in a certain candidate, but that was over the top nasty of the producers of this show to do to the poor guy who was supposed to sit through that and what? Laugh it off? He was probably devastated with humiliation on live tv. They are complete bastards probably laughing their heads off behind the curtain at their sick brand of humor, and the power they wield by airing it, and giving Clayton no place to run from it. SO MEAN!!

I hear Michelle and Nayte look like they are madly in love after all this. I will have to watch the episode when its on hulu. A 200k gift? Wow, thats a first! I bet Katie is pissed, especially after they used her wardrobe money to add to that winning haul. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

She was in every episode of the Bachelor Canada After Show in 2018 as a “Bachelor Nation Expert” - I *think* it might have been live? She’s also guested on similar shows in the Canadian version of the franchise.

• Useful 2
9 minutes ago, SassyCat said:

A 200k gift? Wow, thats a first! I bet Katie is pissed, especially after they used her wardrobe money to add to that winning haul. 

Ha! I was going to say something similar. The 200k might have been a surplus from Katie’s lame season. It sure wasn’t spent on Katie’s wardrobe or dates.

I mean, it’s totally a thing that companies try to spend a full budget by EOY so they get the same amount the next year. It’s just a very public way to do this! 

The end of year surplus might actually be possible. Hard to know. I also wonder/worry if there are strings attached. (Like TPTB own 30% of your home, lol.) Depending on Michelle’s formal relationship with them it could be considered income or a bonus? Interesting. Regardless, I’m really happy for them, Michelle is a class act. I can’t remember liking a Bachelorette this much since Meredith. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Back Atcha said:

Just watched Michelle/Nayte* on Good Morning America.  Her EYEBROWS look So Much Better!  Watching her "live" and then clips from her show are surprising.  She almost looks CRUEL when compared to her more natural brows.

*Is "Nayte" his real name...or it's Nathaniel and he started the fancy spelling in junior high?

Nayte has a very long name -- he used it when he introduced himself to Michelle the first night. 

Did you see Michelle ask Kaitlin "is this for real?" regarding the check? 

I actually have more hope for Michelle and Nayte than I've had for others lately. They have concrete plans to be together, not the "we're going to take our time" attitude about next steps. 

• Love 6

I wonder if the string could be that if they do get married, they have to allow ABC to broadcast it.  

Also nice they both have real jobs.  They even had to film Michelle’s season around the school year,

Nate’s full name:

D29392F4-5491-48DF-BD8B-3EC82DC6C96A.jpeg

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, lizajane said:
4 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

...and then there's THIS:

1 hour ago, tenaciouseee said:

She was in every episode of the Bachelor Canada After Show in 2018 as a “Bachelor Nation Expert” - I *think* it might have been live? She’s also guested on similar shows in the Canadian version of the franchise.

Michelle seemed too old for Brandon. My son is 17 and looks about the same age as Brandon.

Michelle is too mature for all of these guys.  After she and Nayte break up, she should find a nice professor-type gentleman.

Michelle's eyebrows looked stamped on. Her eyebrows look better here.

image.png.053b58b76879b1fbff73d0e8c6289487.png

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, LindaT said:

Michelle seemed too old for Brandon. My son is 17 and looks about the same age as Brandon.

Michelle is too mature for all of these guys.  After she and Nayte break up, she should find a nice professor-type gentleman.

Michelle's eyebrows looked stamped on. Her eyebrows look better here.

image.png.053b58b76879b1fbff73d0e8c6289487.png

Romeo was a nice mathematics professor and she let him go!

• Love 10
20 hours ago, Artsda said:

That preview looked nuts.

I'm happy for Michelle, hope this works out and she stays in her home town and doesn't move.

so I must be in the minority.....and I am old fashioned--but seriously--Michelle KNEW that she was picking Nayte-so why keep playing kissy face with brandon and leading him on. I still remember when Ali sent chris home early to not put him in that situation. I think its selfish, and then I REALLY dont understand how Nayte could watch her fooling around with Brandon and not feel really badly about that. I will say they did look happy and I wish them the best!!

• Love 9
23 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I can’t hear with all the waves going on!

Tell me about it! 😄 I'm partially deaf and had to turn on closed captions which always lag on the screen and had to try to read her lips!  I turned the volume to 36 and still couldn't hear all of it.   They might as well have filmed the proposal at a loud, crowded Cheesecake Factory!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

Tell me about it! 😄 I'm partially deaf and had to turn on closed captions which always lag on the screen and had to try to read her lips!  I turned the volume to 36 and still couldn't hear all of it.   They might as well have filmed the proposal at a loud, crowded Cheesecake Factory!

Lol, too funny!

• LOL 1
15 minutes ago, Recyclorette said:

YES!!!  Meredith and Michelle are on a level all their own!  Lovely, intelligent, classy women.

Maybe we're onto something.   Was Chris Harrison on vacation or sabbatical or "away" for some reason for Meredith's season?

Edited by Back Atcha
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, chocolatine said:

That's a great name, or rather set of names. I don't have a middle name, so I'm irrationally envious of people who have several.

Can't you go down to some records place...or courthouse and give yourself one (or more)...legally?   Like Chocolatine?

• LOL 5

Whew. The Youngs really really loved Brandon. Of course at the end of the day, Michelle's happiness is the most important thing to them, but I know that they had a second of disappointment when he wasn't her Final 1. 

Sure, Nayte was nervous or overwhelmed or whatever when meeting the parents and that is why he fumbled a lot, a far cry from Mr. Confident who strutted around all season. But it was weird how Michelle had to constantly lead him into conversation and answering questions, whether in their one on ones or with her parents. Like she'd give him this look like "please say what I want to hear!" I wish her the best, she deserves true happiness. But she fell hard and fast early on and I still get the vibe that she is more in love with him than he is her.

Best of luck to them! 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

...and then there's THIS:

That explains why I've never seen her or heard of her being in anything up here and I live in the same place she is from. I only watched the first season of BC and that was before her time. Now, Jillian is a real television personality here. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, funnygirl said:

The Youngs really really loved Brandon.  <snip> ... but I know that they had a second of disappointment when he wasn't her Final 1. 

I wonder if they were concerned about his *stability, after seeing how devastated he was after being in love with someone he knew for ___________??  How long was it a month?

*I was.  I am.  Wish we could hear from his old girlfriends...or good buddies.

• Love 1