Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E08: James B's Journey LIVE CHAT

• Start Topic

I was just about to type...

My dad died and so I ate.  But he surprised me with I am staying on track. And he scheduled a telehealth appointment when he couldn't be there physically.

Might we actually have a success...as defined by actually getting the surgery? (I know a low bar)...

But before I could finish typing this and posting, he is now trotting out the bullshit tropes that we have heard time and time again.  Now I am not sure.

• Love 6

So his father died, the father was not in his life very much, but he needs another month before seeing Dr Now. Call me hardhearted, but why? He's not settling the estate, maybe cleaning out a house, etc. I bet he can't physically get to the funeral. Tough it out, dude, and get on a scale. 

• Love 12
16 minutes ago, Eldemarge said:

My friend just offered her very nice Brooklyn apartment to me to stay in next year when she goes on her sabbatical and I have the option to work remote.  My FIRST thought was all the awesome bagels I will have access to.  This could either be awesome or a terrible mistake.

Go!  You'll probably be walking more, when I lived there I lost 20 lbs in the six months I was there.  Have a fabulous time!

Zabars has great bagels btw!

Edited by String Theory
  • Love 5
Just now, dreadfulLeigh said:

Sorry, in no way does the death of your absentee father prevent you from driving back down to Texas. You can process grief and trauma in the car. 

Its in the rules. The fatties have to find a reason not to go to at least one appointment. Conflict!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, aliya said:

So his father died, the father was not in his life very much, but he needs another month before seeing Dr Now. Call me hardhearted, but why? He's not settling the estate, maybe cleaning out a house, etc. I bet he can't physically get to the funeral. Tough it out, dude, and get on a scale. 

This baffles me too. He says "I have to be there for my mother". HOW? Does he go to her house and sit with her? I bet no. He can talk to her on the phone in the car. 

• Love 15
3 minutes ago, aliya said:

I was very close to my dad and I was heartbroken when he died and I still am…it isn’t an excuse to indulge in addiction 

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • Useful 2
  • Love 11
1 minute ago, MsVixen said:

Pepper, I'm so jealous.  I really don't think I could ever have another on.

I always said once I retired I would have an occasional cig without guilt. They're too expensive nowadays for me to ever be tempted back. And you can't even buy menthols in Massachusetts now! 

• Love 6
Just now, Pepper Mostly said:

This baffles me too. He says "I have to be there for my mother". HOW? Does he go to her house and sit with her? I bet no. He can talk to her on the phone in the car. 

That's how I felt too.  But why would he need to be there for his mother?  Since he and his father are estranged, did I miss that his parents were still together and she was somehow distraught?

• Love 6
Just now, Kid said:

I find it interesting that the remainder of his family is thin.  Usually on this show, the whole family is fat.

I mean, they do have that full-time job of running all over the neighborhood getting him food and then climbing all those stairs... And probably also cleaning up his apartment.  I could see all that burning some major calories.

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I said the same about quitting smoking. 

Me too, and it was the longest 2 years of my life. 
It's been 18 years now, but that first two were so painful. I craved. Oh, I craved. 

Edited by Suzywriter
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I’m sorry, but I thought the father was not around. So I’m not understanding why is the family all grieving and why do they need his support so much for a man who was never there. What am I missing?

Edited by Kid
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, Suzywriter said:

Me too, and it was the longest 2 years of my life. 
It's been 18 years now, but that first two were so painful. I craved. Oh, I craved. 

Oh, I quit with Welbutrin and it was surprisingly easy. thank goodness, because I LOVED smoking.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, sainte-chapelle said:

I was very close to my dad and I was heartbroken when he died and I still am…it isn’t an excuse to indulge in addiction 

I'm with ya. Lost mom last year, and a brother this year. 

Holidays are tough.

• Love 4

I suspect James is grieving what he wanted their relationship to be, not the actual loss.      But, he needed to get back to Dr. Now's office.     

That's an awful lot of chicken for 400 calories, especially since she put butter in the pan.  

Month 1-625

Month 3-cancelled appointment

Month 4-cancelled appointment.

Half way through the episode, and no other appointments. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Oh, I quit over 20 years ago. But I do have one every now and then now. 

Quitting (30+ yrs now) was the hardest thing I've ever done.  Once in a great while I'll get in the car after a stressful day & still crave one.

I lost both of my parents to lung cancer, (my mom hadn't smoked for 20 yrs prior to her dx).it's an ugly way to die......

Back OT, my faith in James is getting shaky. I don't think Dr. Now will see anything "proactive" in canceling his appt again!

• Love 8

Jeez. People in the workplace get 3 days for funeral leave. Maybe you take a week if you have the vacation time. As usual, these people are weak. They can't handle the slightest bit of stress or difficulty. No sympathy.

• Love 13