Type keyword(s) to search

The Cast in Other Roles Paradigm

(edited)
This dolt demanded that the director of the episode be fired and never be allowed to work in the industry again. (Insert rolleyes)

TheGongofDoom:  This kind of thing happened all the time while Enterprise was in its first run.  Usually the rant was about how the show was awfully, abysmally, dreadfully bad (with no suggestions on how it might be improved) and What Needed to Happen Now was the show be cancelled Right Now(!), hire Roddenberry's son to be the new showrunner and start filming a brand new Trek series.  Immediately. 

This, of course, shows how little a lot of people know about how television and Hollywood work.   Trying to tell them that if Enterprise got cancelled, they could kiss the notion of a new show goodbye because there wouldn't be any new Trek on TV for, like, ever was an exercise in futility.   (But I was right!)   :)

I really dropped by to let folks know I was just watching The Movie Network and they are advertising a new HBO movie scheduled to premiere May 25/14 that will star Julia Roberts and some guy called Jim Parsons.

From what I can glean from the preview, it looks like it's going to be about dealing with AIDs at the beginning of the epidemic. 

From IMdB:  A gay activist attempts to raise HIV/AIDS awareness during the early 1980s.

The name of the movie is "The Normal Heart".

I am not Sheldon's no. 1 fan (to put it mildly) but I'll probably watch just to see what JP does with the role.

Edited by Pippin

I am not Sheldon's no. 1 fan (to put it mildly) but I'll probably watch just to see what JP does with the role.

I saw Jim Parsons in The Normal Heart on Broadway.  He was excellent in a fairly small role, which he will be reprising in the film.  I highly recommend the story, though Ryan Murphy has had his slimy paws all over it, so god knows what kind of mess he's made.  The cast is stellar, though, including not only Parsons and Roberts but Matt Bomer, Mark Ruffalo, Taylor Kitsch, and Jonathan Groff. 

Not sure if this goes here, but Jim Parsons was on The Daily Show last night.  He seems like a very nice person (he was promoting "The Normal Heart").  Jon seemed to enjoy talking to him.

Also, he's now doing commercials for Nissan.  Can't remember the particular car he's advertising, but they're definitely going with the Sheldon persona in terms of his spokeman stuff.

Most people have probably seen it before, but here's a bit of Sheldon foreshadowing by Jim Parsons in the movie "Garden State."

• Love 2

Did anyone watch this? I did, and was surprised that I wasn't impressed with Jim Parsons as Tommy. It was basically like seeing Sheldon Cooper say "fuck" a lot. I didn't get a sense of JP's range at all - or rather I should say I concluded he doesn't really have much of one. Same overly precise, robotic way of speaking, muted facial expressions, and plenty of Sheldonness in a role that really didn't warrant it, I thought.

• Love 1
(edited)

I didn't see Normal Heart, but in other shows JP seems very Sheldon-y to me. Maybe it's me seeing what I think I should see. IDK.

Edited by ari333

I saw JP on an episode of iCarly (what?) before I'd ever heard of him.  The audience went nuts when he appeared, so I must have been the only one living under that rock.  He played a patient in a mental institute.  I don't see Sheldon in that role at all.  I remember thinking he was quite funny.

I saw JP on an episode of iCarly (what?) before I'd ever heard of him.  The audience went nuts when he appeared, so I must have been the only one living under that rock. 

The FAKE studio audience. iCarly didn't shoot with a live audience.

I used to love Sheldon and I thought JP had earned all his Emmys, but after seeing him host SNL, I was disappointed. He seemed very "Sheldony" as well and didn't disappear into any character.

Simon Helberg’s ‘We’ll Never Have Paris’ Acquired for U.S. by Orion Releasing

The directorial debut of “Big Bang Theory” star Simon Helberg, “We’ll Never Have Paris,” has been acquired for North American rights by Orion Releasing.

Orion will release the film theatrically in select markets on Jan. 22, 2015 in advance of a VOD release. Helberg wrote and starred in the romantic comedy, which was co-directed by his wife, Jocelyn Towne. It also stars Zachary Quinto, Melanie Lynskey, Alfred Molina, Jason Ritter and Maggie Grace.

The film is based on Helberg and Towne’s real-life romantic history. Helberg plays a neurotic man in the midst of a quarter-life crisis that reaches a peak when a coworker (Grace) confesses his love for him as he’s about to propose to his longtime girlfriend, played by Lynskey. He then leaves his girlfriend and quickly regrets the decision — only to find out that she has fled to Paris.

paris1.jpg

• Love 1

Simon Helberg has a good looking part in a Meryl Streep movie,

The Big Bang Theory star Simon Helberg has just been set to star alongside Meryl Streep and Hugh Grant in Florence Foster Jenkins, the Pathe-financed film that Stephen Frears will next direct.

It’s a true story and Streep plays the title character, a wealthy woman in high-society NYC in the early 2oth century who used her relationships and her fortune to gain traction as a singer. Trouble was, she couldn’t sing; she was plagued by terrible pitch and rhythm and was, unbeknownst to her, ridiculed at her well-attended performances. Helberg will play Cosme McCoon, who became her accompanist on the piano. Cosme is the newcomer to the blue blood world. Grant plays her butler and best friend, whose job is to protect her from becoming self aware that the sound of cats drowning is more soothing than her vocal styling.

It’s a big get for Helberg, just one of the Big Bang gang who are making movie moves (Johnny Galecki just formed a Warner Bros-based production company and Melissa Rauch wrote and stars in the Sundance comedy The Bronze). Helberg most recently starred opposite Melanie Lynskey and Zachary Quinto in We’ll Never Have Paris, a film he produced, wrote and co-directed with his wife, Jocelyn Towne.

http://deadline.com/2015/03/simon-helberg-big-bang-theory-meryl-streep-florence-foster-jenkins-movie-1201399243/

• Love 2

I just caught the Murphy Brown episode "Goin' to the Chapel" (Corky Sherwood marries Will Forrest, making her Corky Sherwood Forrest, heh), and was struck by a very short role of "Secretary #37".  The voice sounded familiar, so  I looked it up on IMDB.COM (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0653778/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast ).  It was Carol Ann Susi, aka "Debbie Wolowitz".  She did a very memorable job, and I was so happy to see her, although it was a little sad too.

• Love 2

What seasin was the murphy brown? Ive only seen season 1 on dvd.

Kaley was in wedding ringer which was hilariois, imo,

Season 2, episode 27.  I watch it on Encore Classic (one of the Encore stations)

• Love 2

Mayim is currently starring in a Hallmark-style movie called *The Flight Before Christmas,* which is cute but a little hard to swallow. The script was kind of all over the place, and she has far better chemistry with Jim Parsons than she does with her leading man in this movie (who is quite good-looking, I will admit.) You won't see Amy in this movie, though, and if you're a fan of Mayim it's worth watching for that alone. She's a fine actress.

• Love 2

Mayim is currently starring in a Hallmark-style movie called *The Flight Before Christmas,* which is cute but a little hard to swallow. The script was kind of all over the place, and she has far better chemistry with Jim Parsons than she does with her leading man in this movie (who is quite good-looking, I will admit.) You won't see Amy in this movie, though, and if you're a fan of Mayim it's worth watching for that alone. She's a fine actress.

I saw that movie in a hotel a couple weeks ago and it was just as it should be - a sappy Lifetime Christmas movie.  No Amy to be found and I enjoyed it - but I am a sucker for sappy Christmas movies.

• Love 1

Everybody knows that Johnny Galecki played Chevy Chase's son in *Christmas Vacation,* right? I only mention it because I did NOT realize that for a long time! He was also David on the Roseanne show, opposite Sarah Gilbert (Leslie Winkle) as Darlene. And it took me a while to figure that out, too, though I thought "Leonard" seemed awfully familiar!

Edited by okerry

The movie poster is on the front page of IMDB and it has Streep, Hugh Grant & Simon Helberg featured. I was thrilled for him.

I remember what I said when I first saw the trailer.  "Wow!  It has Streep!  And Hugh Grant!  And....Wolowitz?"

But, in all fairness, he looks like he was perfectly cast for the part and I hope that this is a great stepping stone for him.  I think that Howard is the kind of role that could easily lend itself to typecasting, so it is good that he's breaking out of it.

• Love 2

I've always thought he was the most talented, and no way would he turn down a chance to work with Meryl Streep, but I'm afraid this movie won't give him a chance to shine. I hope I'm wrong.

Actually, in the second trailer for this movie, it does look like he has a fairly large part, so who knows.

But, on the other hand, shining through between Hugh Grant and Meryl Streep is a tall order.  If he can do that, though, I think doors will be opening left and right for him.

• Love 3
(edited)

Kunal Nayyar is in animated feature (Trolls) with JT, Anna Kendrick, James Corden and Leonard's Mom amongst others. So, he is in the new JT video for song from the movie:

Edited by kili
  • Love 1

That was fun.  It's such a credit to Nayyar that I can't stand him on the show because he just seems slimy, but in this video he seems that he would be totally cool to hang out with.  

I'm looking forward to seeing Jim Parsons in Hidden Figures. It's starring Octavia Spencer, who played a DMV clerk that had to deal with Sheldon back in Season 2.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

I'm looking forward to seeing Jim Parsons in Hidden Figures. It's starring Octavia Spencer, who played a DMV clerk that had to deal with Sheldon back in Season 2.

Jim's apparently playing a NASA engineer, which makes me think of it as Jim playing Howard. I know the movie is not a comedy and set in a different time, but it still kinda feels that way. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

And it was super weird not to hear his rhotacism. 

It really was! It's like when you get used to a character having a particular accent and then hear the actor giving an interview and realize that they have a completely different accent in real life (the guy who played Sayid in Lost comes to mind...he had an Iraqi accent on the show but a British accent IRL and it was so strange to hear him give interviews, it always sounded like he was being dubbed by a voice over)

Just saw this thread, so I've got a couple old takes.

I thought Jim was fantastic in A Normal Heart when I watched it. I thought his style seemed much more natural, and his comedic beats came from a very different place than Sheldon. He played that southern boy who's left it behind and is so happy to be more surrounded by people who accept him, at least more so than he would have had where he came from. It seemed very natural to me.

If you still haven't taken the time to see Melissa's comedy, the Bronze, grab it on Demand as quickly as you can. She produced it with her husband and it has a great cast including Gary Cole, Thomas Middleditch, Sebastian Stan (Bucky!), and Cecily Strong, plus relative newcomer Haley Lu Richardson stole the show for me. I really enjoyed seeing Melissa go blue, and it's so nice to have a fresh comedy, and not something else turned out from the Ferrell or Hart camps.

• Love 1

Jim Parsons is the narrator of John Oliver's book A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo (along with Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Jeff Garlin, Ellie Kemper, John Lithgow, Jack McBrayer, and RuPaul).

You can download the audio book at audible for $1.99 or the kindle version at amazon for $11.99.

The hardcover book is now sold out on both amazon and Chronicle Books but both sites say it's only temporarily out of stock (amazon says it will be back in stock in 1-3 weeks). You can download the ebook if you donate $11.99 to The Trevor Project or AIDS United.

All proceeds go to The Trevor Project and AIDS United.

A+ for the two website names that John Oliver bought for this project:

https://betterbundobook.com/
http://www.focusonthefurmily.com

• Love 2
On 9/2/2016 at 4:11 PM, anna0852 said:

I would highly recommend that movie to any one.  It was very well done, and you definitely don't need to be interested in NASA to enjoy it.

It's kind of funny to see Parsons play kind of a jerk type character - oh, wait...

I saw a preview of the upcoming Roseanne show that had Johnny Galecki on it.  He was heavily made up to look like he had real dark 5 o'clock shadow, he looked pretty funny.  I assume he just has a brief cameo, but it's the first indication I've seen that he was going to be involved.

• Love 1

I saw an old episode of 'ER' (season 11, from 2004, I think) where Kevin Sussman (Stuart) was a university researcher in the hospital.  He still had the monotone-type voice and dry humor, but wasn't as pathetic as Stuart (even though it turned out that he and another researcher were conducting experiments on themselves by taking ketamine and recording the effects).