Type keyword(s) to search

Fast Food: Do You Want Fries With That?

• Start Topic

On 10/23/2020 at 4:30 AM, KWalkerInc said:

The fast food places in our area that have been drive-up only (which they all are for the most part) have apparently done a very good job (my father says Taco Bell in particular is very efficient).  However, Arby's is so slow that cars are getting so backed up they block the street, and with their location they could set things up so they at least re-route the cars back behind the veterinarian and other businesses in a neighboring building, as there's space for cars there (a back way out of the parking lot).  It's surprising that they haven't either gotten a little better by this point, or had business decline out of frustration.

I've never known of an Arby's that had shorter and efficient wait times. 

This one was pretty good when it had dine-in service.  It was Carl's Jr. (pretty much all of them) that would be slow (except for when I was dropped off and going to walk over to a basketball game afterwards and had tons of time, then they'd get it ready instantly).  But the Carl's Jr. next to this Arby's has been efficient with its drive-up now, as long as people can get past the Arby's back-up to get into the parking lot.  KFC backs up to the street every once in a while if it's really busy because it's on a small lot, but they let people in for pick-up too so they're usually not out to the street.

On 10/25/2020 at 5:42 PM, smittykins said:

We used to have a Dunkin’ Donuts(which originally was a local restaurant with a drive-thru added later)where cars routinely backed up onto the road.  Eventually, it closed and a new location built a little further down.

the dunkin donuts I go to is drive thru only, even tho you can eat in there but that all changed when COvid hit.

• Love 1
On 9/30/2020 at 2:24 PM, BW Manilowe said:

I don’t like the curly fries (whomever decided fries needed to be seasoned like that is an idiot, in my book—I’d rather add my own seasoning, thank you very much),

Is that what I don't like about curly fries?  It's something, because even if Mr. Outlier gets them and they're sitting right in front of me, I won't eat them, and it's not like me to pass up something that's fried.  They're not even redeemable with my ketchup-and-mayonnaise fry sauce concoction.

On 10/3/2020 at 7:08 AM, annzeepark914 said:

Hmmm...now I'm in the mood for Popeyes fried chicken sandwich on that good roll. I haven't even had breakfast yet 🌞

Those Popeye's fried chicken sandwiches are just as good as advertised.  The chicken, the roll, the pickle, the spicy sauce.  Perfection.

They other day, they got my order wrong and instead of bone-in chicken I got tenders.  I've never even thought about ordering chicken tenders because I'm not five years old, plus I prefer dark meat to white.  But I have to say, they were good.  I always over-order to have leftovers, and just eat the bone-in chicken cold, but those tenders reheated wonderfully in the microwave, with a finish in the toaster oven on TOAST, to crisp them up. 

So I ordered them on purpose the next time, and this time got sauce--the Cajun mustard whatever.  Damn if that wasn't really good, too.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
49 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Those Popeye's fried chicken sandwiches are just as good as advertised.  The chicken, the roll, the pickle, the spicy sauce.  Perfection.

They other day, they got my order wrong and instead of bone-in chicken I got tenders.  I've never even thought about ordering chicken tenders because I'm not five years old, plus I prefer dark meat to white.  But I have to say, they were good.  I always over-order to have leftovers, and just eat the bone-in chicken cold, but those tenders reheated wonderfully in the microwave, with a finish in the toaster oven on TOAST, to crisp them up. 

So I ordered them on purpose the next time, and this time got sauce--the Cajun mustard whatever.  Damn if that wasn't really good, too.

Until the chicken sandwich came along, I'd order wings cause, bad girl that I am, I wanted more crunch than meat. I think I'll try tenders next...Cajun mustard sounds good. Hey...that spicy mayo is hot! Last time I got the sandwich I know I said "classic" and isn't that the non-hot version? I came home and scraped as much of it off as I could. Was still delicious.

19 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Is that what I don't like about curly fries?  It's something, because even if Mr. Outlier gets them and they're sitting right in front of me, I won't eat them, and it's not like me to pass up something that's fried.  They're not even redeemable with my ketchup-and-mayonnaise fry sauce concoction.

It might be. Since I only know you through this site, I can’t really say. But the curly fries at Arby’s have some sort of seasoned salt (I guess it is) on them & I don’t like them like that. They don’t taste garlicky or oniony, but they don’t taste like they just have plain table salt or even plain sea salt on them either. I’d rather put my own, non-seasoned, salt on my fries, thank you very much.

19 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Until the chicken sandwich came along, I'd order wings cause, bad girl that I am, I wanted more crunch than meat.

That's why I get legs and thighs.  I prefer dark meat, but there's much more favorable crunch : meat ratio than with a breast.  Wings are just too hard for me to eat.

What I don't want to know is where they get the chickens they use for the sandwiches, because those breasts are enormous.  I'm fearing the chickens that can't stand up without tipping over because they're bred to maximize breast meat. 

46 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

What I don't want to know is where they get the chickens they use for the sandwiches, because those breasts are enormous.  I'm fearing the chickens that can't stand up without tipping over because they're bred to maximize breast meat. 

I saw a video several years ago that showed chickens with huge breasts teetering on their spindly legs. What kept them from toppling over was the overcrowded cages. I really don't like buying these oversized chicken breasts. Years ago, maybe around 2005-ish, I bought a 3.5 lb chicken, roasted it, and when I began to carve the chicken, there was no breast meat. That poor animal wasn't able to get enough food while alive. I still kick myself for not taking it back to the supermarket and showing it to the manager (it was a store I rarely shopped at so maybe I didn't feel comfortable doing that??) I wonder why PETA isn't going after these poultry farms. 

I don't really eat chicken but I do love me some fried chicken skin. I'll eat the legs and maybe a little though but for the most part the actual meat gets tossed (or given to friends who aren't bothered by it).

However I may need to cave and try that Popeye's Chicken sandwich.

Edited by callie lee 29
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I wonder why PETA isn't going after these poultry farms. 

I wonder why the USDA isn't going after consumer's obsessions with breast meat, leading to the breeding of breast heavy chickens to suit the demand in the market.  Or why chains aren't doing their part in pushing dark meat on consumers.  

The food industry is one of the few industries that pivots immediately to consumer tastes and demands.  When farms breed frankenchickens, it's not because farmers are making that choice of their own accord.  

• Love 3
On 10/26/2020 at 10:43 AM, Jaded said:

I've never known of an Arby's that had shorter and efficient wait times. 

In my town, Arby's has by far the most efficient drive-thru service. If you go to Wendy's you better take a book.

On 11/19/2020 at 6:06 PM, WritinMan said:

In my town, Arby's has by far the most efficient drive-thru service. If you go to Wendy's you better take a book.

I just moved, now I'm in the same boat as you.  The Wendy's here is DREADFUL.  And I hate that, because Wendy's is decent fast food.

Where I live Popeye's has always had the biggest quality of food to service disparity. I never leave a Popeye's drive-through without thoroughly checking the order. Unfortunately, except for the mom and pop places, they have the best takeout fried chicken.

Well, it's official. The Panera Bread in my little corner of the world has officially closed. They closed it the beginning of April, with a note on the door saying due to the pandemic hurting business, they were closed temporarily. I loved so many of their soups, salads, and sandwiches. It was in the same complex as my regular grocery store. I contacted Panera in the summer. It took them over 2 weeks to get back to me. They said it was unclear if they would reopen. When I went to the grocery store today, there was a sign saying space for lease. Dang.

Unless you count Starbucks or other coffee places, salad bars, poke places or craft pizza joints, I honestly haven’t had real fast food in almost 2 years!  The last time was McDonald’s (for breakfast) in early 2019!  

p.s. do fast casual places where you pick a protein and two or three sides count as “fast food?”  

On 11/8/2020 at 5:24 PM, callie lee 29 said:

Just tried Pollo Tropical for the first time (is that considered fast food) and while I don't really like chicken the quesadilla wrap was amazing. And I think I need to find a dupe recipe for their creamy cilantro garlic sauce.

We used to have Pollo tropical here and it was good especially the black beans and rice. But they went away...

On 12/3/2020 at 10:44 AM, chessiegal said:

You can buy frosting at the grocery store. Is Cinnabon's something magical?

I had Cinnabon once and it was awaful!🤢 I compare it to a dish sponge with frosting on it .

Little Caesar's has brought back their Pretzel Crust pizza (for a limited time).  Woo hoo!  (If I'm gonna buy a cheap pizza, that's the one for me.) 

Unfortunately, I have to go back on my healthy eating regimen in a day or two, so this will probably be the one and only Pretzel Crust pizza for me this go round. 

Edited by BooksRule

On 11/11/2020 at 12:36 AM, callie lee 29 said:

However I may need to cave and try that Popeye's Chicken sandwich.

I tried the Popeye's chicken sandwich back before the pandemic started. It was basically like every other fast-food chicken sandwich I've had (which is to say nothing special). It was good, but I did not understand why everyone on social media treated it as God's gift. Chik-Fil-A will always be my number 1 chicken sandwich.

Edited by Kawaiiko
  • Love 1
On 2/11/2017 at 7:28 PM, WendyCR72 said:

This is tangential if just for a post, but this whole east/west different restaurant names by region reminds me of a brand of ice cream with the same issue. Out west, the brand is called Dreyer's. However, since the east has a well-known brand of ice cream called Breyer's, Dreyer's is known as Edy's here.

Funny how that works...

Yeah, that's because Dreyer's/Edy's used to be one ice cream brand that was created by William Dreyer and Joseph Edy. The two had a big falling out and they split apart. But I've never had either so what can I say. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ETA: I'm four years late!

Edited by Kawaiiko
  • Love 1
(edited)

If you go to Wendy's you better take a book.

Years ago at the drive thru I was told they were cooking the fries and I asked if I needed to pull up. They said they aren't allowed to ask anyone to  pull up. 

Chick Fil-A has bottled their Chick Fil-A and Polynesian sauces for sale in grocery stores and 100% of  profits go to charity. I don't know if they sell it at their locations since I haven't been there since they had to go drive thru only. I saw on the news over the weekend that they are having to limit the packs of sauces you can get because of shortage. I always get the CFA sauce for my sandwich extra pickles and Polynesian for the waffle fries.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/chick-fil-a-sauce-bottles/

That ^^^^ is from November and my state only got the sauces within the last month. $3.99.

I always get tarter sauce for my chicken, pieces and tenders, at Popeye's. For the sandwich (mild),  I just ask for extra pickles and the sandwich sauce on both pieces of bread. And I must be the only one who liked their green beans because they don't offer them anymore. 

Edited by stewedsquash
(edited)

It depends on the time of day.  They do move the cars along pretty fast, it's just inevitably a long line of cars--even with a double lane setup there's also only one pickup window. Of course the other trap with the merging ordering lanes is when the guy ahead of you is gutless and keeps letting the OTHER lane feed into the merge rather than risk his paint job. 

Therefore, when it's open at Wendy's (only lunch and dinner service, not breakfast) I use Curbside delivery now. It's probably only 50/50 being faster vs slower than waiting through the drive through, but at least you can read that book (you don't have to edge your car up every few minutes). 

The worst option at Wendy's is going inside.  They de-prioritize processing those orders vs. the drive through. It's not as bad as Popeyes and/or Taco Bell (BOTH where I've literally waited a half hour for a single item, while they processed 25 to 30 drive through customers in that time), but it's still not great.  Curbside service seems to get processed on a similar schedule to drive through, at least at Wendy's, so that's why I've been using it. 

Now McDonald's?  They're the only chain that seems to still give a shit about customers at the counter...

Edited by Kromm
3 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

The food delivery services are ripoffs.  I think the market moves that several chains are making (besides Arthur Treacher's, Wendy's is doing a huge expansion of JUST ghost kitchens, and Mr. Beast Burger is ALL ghost kitchens) is going to backfire on these chains down the line.  The delivery service traffic will remain higher than pre-Pandemic, but only barely. It won't be enough.  A lot of these locations will be hurting for business soon enough. 

(edited)
3 hours ago, Kromm said:

A lot of these locations will be hurting for business soon enough. 

But that’s thing they won’t be because they are cooking out of already established chains in the exact same kitchen and sometimes using the same staff so they don’t require start up costs and keep staffing and other expenses low because they are splitting it with another business.

What I find interesting is that the chains are embracing the term “ghost kitchens,” pre-pandemic that was usually used as a derogatory term of complete fake restaurants operating illegally out of quickly put together kitchens that were under the radar of city officials like the building and health departments making them havens for code violations and bad working conditions. The addresses the consumer saw on their app would be completely fake and the actual address would be given only to the drivers and they would change these things frequently. These corporate virtual restaurants are at least operating out of existing kitchens that can be traced when it comes to food borne illnesses and theoretically have a corporate structure that can be held responsible for worker safety and has insurance and pays payroll taxes, etc. 

Edited by biakbiak
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

But that’s thing they won’t be because they are cooking out of already established chains in the exact same kitchen and sometimes using the same staff so they don’t require start up costs and keep staffing and other expenses low because they are splitting it with another business.

What I find interesting is that the chains are embracing the term “ghost kitchens,” pre-pandemic that was usually used as a derogatory term of complete fake restaurants operating illegally out of quickly put together kitchens that were under the radar of city officials like the building and health departments making them havens for code violations and bad working conditions. The addresses the consumer saw on their app would be completely fake and the actual address would be given only to the drivers and they would change these things frequently. These corporate virtual restaurants are at least operating out of existing kitchens that can be traced when it comes to food borne illnesses and theoretically have a corporate structure that can be held responsible for worker safety and has insurance and pays payroll taxes, etc. 

Pre-pandemic, delivery service was still growing at triple digits YOY, and ghost kitchens were an emerging trend in most major metro markets in order to combat the massive foodservice labor shortage.  It was no longer a term of derision as early as 2017.  It has been on the market trend radar for quite some time now.  

8 hours ago, larapu2000 said:

shortage.  It was no longer a term of derision as early as 2017. 

It was still being used derisively in the Bay Area where I live because it was specifically applied to illegally operating kitchens, kitchens operating about of existing kitchens that were still delivery only went with pop-ups, partner shares and virtual kitchens.

7 hours ago, InDueTime said:

I thought it may have had to do with the shortage of chicken wings.

https://www.vox.com/22421095/chicken-wings-shortage-delivery-bar

There are shortages everywhere in foodservice right now, for multiple reasons.  Plastic is up, steel and aluminum are up, lumber (for pallets) is up over 300%.  Bad weather last winter in key areas.  The Panama Canal boat delayed another boat with a key ingredient that is needed to produce starches for industrial, foodservice, retail markets.  My company is facing a crisis like we have never seen with this ingredient.  THat, on top of the Texas freeze, where some of the other ingredients to make starch are produced, was not able to get back to full capacity until April.  We make puddings/cheese sauces/dips, but think of how many other products utilize starch-baking mixes, pudding mixes, gravies, sauces, etc.  This is going to be bad until at least August and may linger until October.  

Don't be surprised if there are lots of random, unrelated ingredients short in restaurants and the grocery store here and there for the forseeable future.  The fact that our shortage is being treated as "not a big deal" to our distributor partners tells me we are not even close to being their biggest headache.

• Useful 8
On 7/1/2021 at 5:38 AM, larapu2000 said:

There are shortages everywhere in foodservice right now, for multiple reasons.  Plastic is up, steel and aluminum are up, lumber (for pallets) is up over 300%.  Bad weather last winter in key areas.  The Panama Canal boat delayed another boat with a key ingredient that is needed to produce starches for industrial, foodservice, retail markets.  My company is facing a crisis like we have never seen with this ingredient.  THat, on top of the Texas freeze, where some of the other ingredients to make starch are produced, was not able to get back to full capacity until April.  We make puddings/cheese sauces/dips, but think of how many other products utilize starch-baking mixes, pudding mixes, gravies, sauces, etc.  This is going to be bad until at least August and may linger until October.  

Don't be surprised if there are lots of random, unrelated ingredients short in restaurants and the grocery store here and there for the forseeable future.  The fact that our shortage is being treated as "not a big deal" to our distributor partners tells me we are not even close to being their biggest headache.

Sorry to hear this.  I hope your company is able to weather the storm without too much damage.

• Love 1
On 11/11/2020 at 7:16 AM, larapu2000 said:

I wonder why the USDA isn't going after consumer's obsessions with breast meat, leading to the breeding of breast heavy chickens to suit the demand in the market.  Or why chains aren't doing their part in pushing dark meat on consumers.  

The food industry is one of the few industries that pivots immediately to consumer tastes and demands.  When farms breed frankenchickens, it's not because farmers are making that choice of their own accord.  

Michael Pollan's book The Omnivore's Dilemma is a great read about the American fast food industry.

I have never even heard of Culver's! (From Upstate NY, so...) As I said WAY back in the thread, my area had restaurants at one point that are all basically elsewhere now (Jack in the Box in the '70s, when I was little; Hardee's - both gone from here!) and others that we would get ads for but did not have until recently (Sonic; Chik-Fil-A at our airport only).

So Upstate NY is clearly deprived. LOL!

• Love 1
On 8/25/2021 at 4:09 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I have never even heard of Culver's! (From Upstate NY, so...) As I said WAY back in the thread, my area had restaurants at one point that are all basically elsewhere now (Jack in the Box in the '70s, when I was little; Hardee's - both gone from here!) and others that we would get ads for but did not have until recently (Sonic; Chik-Fil-A at our airport only).

So Upstate NY is clearly deprived. LOL!

Culver's has really good butter burgers, custard, cheese curds, and pretzel bites you dip into melted cheese-the four Wisconsin food groups.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2